Type keyword(s) to search

Minor League Baseball

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

Bringing this over from the MLB Thread (because, sorry, I forgot this thread was here...)

Mr ebk has a stagehand's convention next weekend in Bethlehem PA.  Unfortunately, the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs are in Charlotte.  And I'm even more upset about that because in perusing their website today, I see they have Pork Racers, including Barbie Q and, my fave, Chris P. Bacon.  There's a Barbie Q bobblehead.  I will be on the lookout for Mr. Bacon's 'head though.  That's too fabulous to pass up!

Looking at the promotions ad from the Brooklyn Cyclones in the Mets' program .. . there's the 1986 World Series desk ring, a Wilmer Flores "Tears to Cheers" bobblehead, and the third annual Seinfeld night with a limited giveaway of bobblehead dolls with Roger McDowell in street clothes behind the bushes. I think that game is sold out, and there were packages available under the code "BOSCO."

I'll be in town the week beginning August 20th.  Lucas Duda bobblehead night on that Tuesday.  So Tuesday looks like Coney Island/Cyclones day!! (Which makes up for missing a 'head in Bmore on the 20th and at CitiField on the 27th - travel days...poor planning on my part)

Just discovered this thread!

ebk57, you didn't miss anything by not getting to a Lehigh Valley game. The game I went to a few years ago was the only truly negative ballpark experience I've ever had. The 'Pigs don't treat their fans well, IMO. This was back in '09, so maybe they've wised up since then, but I went with a friend who has also been to many different parks over the years, and to this day we still joke about how nasty the LV experience was. 

Back in the early 90's, the Yankees had their AA team in Albany, NY, and its nickname was Baby Bombers. I still have my Baby Bombers Booster Club towel!

(edited)

Let me hit on a few of the current MILB news stories.

First, I do hope Imhof can make a come back and gives it a shot, when he's ready.

As a Red Sox fan, this news blows about the International draft. They obviously were gaming the system and got caught - I do wonder if other teams did the same, but subtler than the Sox.  Of course, MLB handled this with the young Dominican/Venezuelan players like they were Jack McCoy & Al Pacino rolled together.

According to multiple sources, MLB officials threatened to suspend the players if they did not cooperate with their investigation, and some players broke down in tears. MLB officials denied any threats took place. During those meetings, however, MLB informed players that they have an obligation to be truthful or else they could be subject to disciplinary action, including a fine or suspension, and told the players to give them their banking information and said they were going to go through their bank accounts. MLB did not confirm or deny that when asked.

How that is in any way legal is beyond contempt.

But then, ya know, this is the MINOR LEAGUES  which is just ...  ahem, just A SHORT TERM SEASONAL APPRENTICESHIP Not that the MLB doesn't use  these seasonal apprentices to squeeze more money out of local municipalities and play "who can build us a state of the art stadium"-itis,  All for their SEASONAL APPRENTICES. 

I thought Manfred would be better for baseball, but the stupidity continues. 

MLB heavily subsidizes Minor League Baseball by providing Minor League clubs with its players, allowing professional baseball to be played in many communities in the United States that cannot support a Major League franchise. Moreover, for the overwhelming majority of individuals, being a Minor League Baseball player is not a career but a short-term seasonal apprenticeship in which the player either advances to the Major Leagues or pursues another career.

eta- read Kate Morrison's breakdown of the MLB press release.

Edited by King of Birds

Well, I may have missed out on going to a Wichita Wignuts game while there on business last week but my boyfriend and I are planning to attend a Jupiter Hammerheads (high A affiliate of the Marlins) game tomorrow, the 4th of July.  Should be a lot of fun, and very hot and humid too.

• Love 1

What would happen if a major league team were unable to come up with an agreed-upon arrangement with the owner in a AAA city?  For example, the A's just lost their agreement with Sacramento and the Giants move into Sacramento, this left Fresno open for the Brewers to take over Fresno, and left Nashville as the only alternative for the A's.  What would have happened if the A's had not been able to come to an agreement with the Nashville ownership?

Not sure entirely about your question. (I think you have some info wrong) Some teams in the past have had a deal fall through and then did have to just affiliate with cities with stadiums in an area they didn't want, just to field a team.  But specifically in the Fresno/ Nashville issue, the Brewers had been with Nashville for years and when the Nashville ownerships did upgrade and built a new stadium, it was the Brewers who were dumped, for the A's.  So the A's / Nashville thing happened first.

Brewers then had to move to Colorado Springs- the only city left (duck-duck-goose) which has high elevation and it's tough to judge HRs and pitching (ask any Rockies fan.)  Fresno is the affiliate of the Astros since the last "affiliate dance" post-2014 season. Both Astros and Brewers only made two year deals, not sure what may happen after this season.

Being a Red Sox fan I know more about their MILB history. They prefer to have their teams on the east coast, obviously. They briefly had an issue with their High-A teams - switching from Sarasota FL to Wilmington DE in 2005, but after a bad team/ bad year, the owner there thought the Sox were "not sending their best players" to his team. Wilmington had been a Royals affiliate since the team was founded, and the owner wanted back with them after the switch to Boston, so in 2007 with a lack of affiliates available, the Red Sox had to field a team in Lancaster CA to keep a High-A team. Duck-duck-goose. After the Lancaster move, the Red Sox ownership made a deal in Salem VA and in 2009, after two years in California, they switched to Salem.

Wish me luck. I paid $18 and a service fee for Saturday night's Staten Island Yankees game, and I'm hoping to get a Tony Reali bobblehead doll. I'm going solo, so I'll probably keep it for myself. I'll be taking the local rail, so I'll save money by not parking.

• Love 2

Go see a game at the Lancaster JetHawks Stadium in Lancaster, CA. It used to be an A affiliate for the Mariners.

And not only are the games fun, when the Santa Ana winds blow you can see someone SMOKE a 325 foot homerun that travels 350 feet and turns into an out.

Some smart infielders don't even run out to the fence, the look up and run towards the infield on some fly balls.

The Reds AAA Club, the Louisville Bats have a great stadium,  the food is good, altho I can stay at home and eat a bologna sandwich and the parking is ridiculously close. 

• Love 1

Two of the California League teams will cease operations at the end of this year, and the teams will switch and start next year as part of the Carolina League.

The High Desert Mavericks, a Rangers affiliate in the Cal-South division, and the city of Adelanto have had financial issues, to put it mildly.

Bakersfield, a Mariners team in the Cal-North, was coming up on their affiliate contract ending. Plus, the league HAD to get out of the Adelanto problem, and you can't just move High Desert out of the league without another to balance. Plus there's this nugget - the park is uniquely situated so the batters face into the setting sun.

Cal League now is just four teams in the North division, and four in the South. A friend of mine told me the issues in the league go back several years- apparently there was talk of moving these teams to Oxnard and San Luis Obispo but the idea failed.

I don't think that's the Cyclone in the photo. The amusement park area formerly known as Astroland isn't that close to the ballpark. Both can be found in the same area, along with the New York Aquarium and the original Nathan's.

12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I don't think that's the Cyclone in the photo. The amusement park area formerly known as Astroland isn't that close to the ballpark. Both can be found in the same area, along with the New York Aquarium and the original Nathan's.

That's the Thunderbolt in the picture.  One of the rides that has you going upside down.  No thanks.

Coney Island is a lovely place to spend a day.  A weekday.  I don't think I'd like to be there on a weekend.  It still amazes me one can travel on the subway for an hour+ and still be in NYC. 

I'd bet real money that every Met minor leaguer voted for Stud Muffins.  Rumble Ponies?

YIKES. There's even more minor league terrible-ness!

Jacksonville Sun are now ... the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp

One of the teams that I noted ^ further up the thread ^ will be the Down East Wood Ducks in the Carolina League

Brave's affiliate Brevard County Manatees is now the Florida Fire Frogs

Someone needs to put an end to "Brandiose, a San Diego-based firm" - they seem to be behind all this hideousness.

Edited by King of Birds

I don't think anyone will ever come up with as awful a name as the original idea for the Manchester, NH AA club: the New Hampshire Primaries.  Fortunately the fanbase attacked ownership with pitchforks and torches and they became the Fisher Cats.

• Love 2

Any other cartoon geeks hoping the New Orleans Baby Cakes have a Brad Neely Night?

I e-mailed the Staten Island baseball club last week about their nickname. Right now, they're still down as "Yankees." Maybe they junked the poll and decided to put off the change until 2018, when there would be better options. I'm good with "Killer Bees," but I would hope Scooter The Holy Cow stays on.

I think the minor league season has kicked off. Locally, the Staten Island Yankees won't start until mid-June. Right now, there are no promotions listed yet. Ditto for the Brooklyn Cyclones, even though I haven't been to Coney Island in forever.

I'm just impressed that they finally finished the park!  (They were essentially a mendicant ballclub last year, and I think they even forfeited some games due to lack of a stadium).

And yes, I think all the leagues above short-A started this week.  I know the Eastern League did as Portland only had to delay their opener by one day (due to rain, not excess snow on the field).

• Love 1

The World Baseball Classic had a similar rule: the 11th inning would start with runners on 1st and 2nd. And no extra inning game ever went past 11 innings.