Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E16: Top 10 Revealed And Perform

• Start Topic

I just love that Kelly looked like she was two minutes away from pulling out a 10 pc with fries like fuck it, I'm pregnant, y'all.

It sounded like they piped in applause from the start of La'Porsha's performance. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that. And I'm sorry, but overpraised is worse in many regards than being a little underpraised. I thought they underpraised Sonika a little bit. I know I went crazy for it, but seriously. When you talk about making smart song choices, taking risks, stepping out of your comfort zone...that's what that looks like. She was even smart enough to pick a dress that had a lot of flair and drama, and for a wallflower like her, that was really a step forward. They front-loaded the show with the kids still working out the kinks in their performances, so that made La'Porsha look better than she was. Had she gone first or second, I...doubt we would've cared. I still don't.

When Dalton has to actually, you know, sing a song without talking through it, people are going to realize how pedestrian his vocals are.

• Love 6

Avalon: I asked this last night and I haven't gotten answer, but is Avalon a stud? 

I don't understand the question.  Is that a euphemism for lesbian I haven't heard yet?  

I don't understand the question.  Is that a euphemism for lesbian I haven't heard yet?  

I was wondering that, too.  As far as I've always known, "stud" means a sexy guy (or a male horse expected to pass on its bloodline to a new generation) and I've never heard it used as slang for lesbian.  I'm pretty sure Avalon is neither a sexy guy or a horse.

• Love 4

Ooooh, details, please!

Kelly endorsed Ron Paul for President on Twitter.  I pointed out some racist and homophobic things he had said and wondered how somebody in the entertainment industry could endorse somebody like him.  We tweeted back and forth a couple of times, then she just dropped it.

• Love 5

Kelly's performance had me in tears and I grew up with an amazing father. I figured that also was likely the reason Keith was crying (other than he is just a softly in general), just having lost his own dad late last year. I have only ever bought one of Kelly's albums (a Christmas one which I didn't like) but that song may make me buy her new album. I have always liked her in general though - I love how she says what she thinks but is also a kind person. She never seems to have let her success go to her head.

• Love 10

Dalton as a performer keeps me focused on the show. He's not the greatest singer, but everything he does shows what a performer he is. He loves what he does, and he has enthusiasm and it shows. Everything I've seen from him makes me want him to win. I don't want technically perfect singers. I want someone I enjoy listening to without flinching or who makes my cat growl at the TV.

Trent is another that I hope he goes far. He keeps my attention as much as Dalton does.

I rewatched the episode and while LA Porsha isn't my favorite, she became my mom's. I still think its a good performance. A little indulgent but good.

Sonika doesn't seem like Jessica Sanchez anymore and I'll keep my eye on her and not just fast forward anymore.

As for the others *shrugs* as long as Gianna and Tristan are gone soon they will too. I think I got an idea on who the final four will be as long as the votes go the way I hope.

I jusy hope Dalton doesn't jinx himself with talking about Daughtry.

Edited by AshleyLyn
  • Love 5

I still love Dalton and he's still my fave, but I wish he'd do something different soon. He's getting a bit boring.

I'm confused by this. This was the first time on the show he's done anything upbeat and fun. Isn't that different from what he's been doing?

I'm really surprised some think Mac is cuter than Dalton. Mac is definitely a cutie, but to me it's in a "normal boy" way. Dalton, on the other hand, looks like he just stepped from the pages of a magazine. He's basically every record label's boyband dream. He is absolutely stunning, looks wise, in my opinion. His facial features are perfectly proportionate and he has the amazing blue eyes as well as a killer smile. He is insanely good looking, like Jennifer Lopez/Stephany Negrete good looking. He's one of those people that basically hit the genetic lottery. Dalton's looks are other worldly IMO. Like "way too pretty to live" stunning. Oh well YMMV I guess.

Dalton said in an interview that he has the flu as well as a sinus infection so that could be why he sounded a bit strained last night. Many of the contestants have been suffering from a bout of the flu, including Olivia (who was also hospitalized the other day for it), MacKenzie, and Jenn Blosil. And now I guess Dalton has it as well. Could be why some of them did not sound their best. 

• Love 5

Dalton said in an interview that he has the flu as well as a sinus infection so that could be why he sounded a bit strained last night. Many of the contestants have been suffering from a bout of the flu, including Olivia (who was also hospitalized the other day for it), MacKenzie, and Jenn Blosil. And now I guess Dalton has it as well. Could be why some of them did not sound their best.

Damn. I hope Trent is staying downwind. Even though its been a couple months he needs to be careful for a year. Mono can still mess him up. Hell he shouldn't be doing idol because of the physical part. That's a no no. Hope he doesn't relapse.

• Love 2

I'm confused by this. This was the first time on the show he's done anything upbeat and fun. Isn't that different from what he's been doing?

Eh, it seemed the same as a few other of his performances to me.

I also don't think Dalton is that good looking tbh.

But I swear, he is my fave and I love him lol.

It is 100% the fault of the judges and producers that this season as well as the past few have been so bad as far as the actual group we end up with come live performance time. You see plenty of promising auditions and snippets of greatness during Hollywood week yet none of those people ever make it far. Instead we end up win a bunch of teenagers with decent voices who need serious vocal training and it makes for very unsatisfying television. Lee should not have been chosen over any of the men sent home last week. They all had more talent. Gianna and Tristan are sub par at best. They both sound like their voices ha net fully developed yet. Dalton is very entertaining and handsome but his actual singing ability is very limited. Laporsha and Sonika are really the only ones that have great impressive talent. It's upsetting that great singers got cut so we could have this snooze fest of kids on my tv.

• Love 4

Eh, it seemed the same as a few other of his performances to me.

I also don't think Dalton is that good looking tbh.

But I swear, he is my fave and I love him lol.

Well this is what really matters in the end, so I'm happy lol It makes me happy to see he has fans and people supporting him. And I guess if you don't find Dalton attractive, that just means there's less competition for me now lol Just kidding. 

• Love 2

It is 100% the fault of the judges and producers that this season as well as the past few have been so bad as far as the actual group we end up with come live performance time. You see plenty of promising auditions and snippets of greatness during Hollywood week yet none of those people ever make it far. Instead we end up win a bunch of teenagers with decent voices who need serious vocal training and it makes for very unsatisfying television. Lee should not have been chosen over any of the men sent home last week. They all had more talent. Gianna and Tristan are sub par at best. They both sound like their voices ha net fully developed yet. Dalton is very entertaining and handsome but his actual singing ability is very limited. Laporsha and Sonika are really the only ones that have great impressive talent. It's upsetting that great singers got cut so we could have this snooze fest of kids on my tv.

AI should've just done what So You Think You Can Dance is doing this upcoming season & just blatantly make it about little kids dancing around on stage...  Why even bother w/ token 20-somethings?  /sarcasm

Sorry, I find that gross & exploitative, but YMMV.

I don't find Dalton that gorgeous, either.  I like Mackenzie's look more.  When Dalton first appeared, I thought, "He looks like Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day.  Dang, I like his singing, though."  He's better looking than Armstrong but he didn't knock my socks off.  

Both guys kind of have that androgynous/pretty look the young girls tend to love.  Keith, too.  

So so SO happy that Jessie from Toy Story and Full Metal Eyebrows got eliminated! Good bye and good luck!

Is Trent the one who liked David Archuletta's "Imagine" performance, and then sang it 24/7? If that's Trent, man, he is one unfortunately homely fellow - if his eyes were any closer together, he'd be a cyclops. OK, that was mean - he can't help where his eyes are positioned, nor can he do anything about it. I guess, as the old saying goes, he has the perfect face for radio.

Can't say much more about Kelly Clarkson that hasn't already been said. After first hearing 'Piece by Piece' a number of weeks ago on Sirius, I thought, wow - I wonder where her dad is (is he alive?) and if he's heard the song. Talk about not holding back, holy smokes! And what a stunningly public tribute to her husband. I wish they would've shown him in the audience. I feel bad I don't even know his name. But what a tribute to him! It was powerful to see Keith that moved - I wonder if he related to the song on a personal level (hope not - abandonment by one's parent must be hideously painful). But it was such a genuine reaction. I've always liked Keith, and seeing him react so openly made him even more endearing. 

I only started watching this season last week, so I was quite shocked to hear Ryan say that the finale is in 6 weeks!! WTH???? Wow - talk about going out with a whimper. 

• Love 7

I'm really surprised some think Mac is cuter than Dalton. Mac is definitely a cutie, but to me it's in a "normal boy" way. Dalton, on the other hand, looks like he just stepped from the pages of a magazine.

Ten years ago.

I dunno, I just find his look to be terribly dated.

Mackenzie, on the other hand, looks more current to me.

• Love 2

It was powerful to see Keith that moved - I wonder if he related to the song on a personal level (hope not - abandonment by one's parent must be hideously painful). But it was such a genuine reaction. I've always liked Keith, and seeing him react so openly made him even more endearing.

Keith was very close to his father who passed away from cancer this past December. He credits his dad with his love of country music and for his career path in general. I would think Keith is still in mourning and the song brought about memories of his father being the kind of dad that Kelly's husband is to her daughter. I would imagine he was also thinking of his own daughters. I lost my dad 20 years ago and I was in tears listening to the song, knowing how lucky I was to have him as my father.

• Love 5

Ten years ago.

I dunno, I just find his look to be terribly dated.

Mackenzie, on the other hand, looks more current to me.

Yeah his look is pretty early 2000s punk rocker I agree but I don't really care, TBH. I think it suits him and the type of music he does perfectly. He looks damn good in everything he wears IMO and wouldn't want to see him change a thing about his style.

I don't find Trent to be homely looking at all. He looked damn hot in his audition IMO, I think it's just the hats and scarves that aren't doing him any favors. But I think he's quite good looking.

• Love 4

It also doesn't help Trent is recovering from an illness that can be nasty if he doesn't take the proper precautions. I know I keep bringing it up but mono is not just something you get over in a couple weeks. He really shouldn't be doing this. If AI was going to be around next year I would have preferred him to wait next year. But he's doing it and I give him kudos for his determination.

As to Dalton...his eyes are just killer. He's not the typical guy I go for and I still wouldn't but eyes are my weakness.

• Love 5

It also doesn't help Trent is recovering from an illness that can be nasty if he doesn't take the proper precautions. I know I keep bringing it up but mono is not just something you get over in a couple weeks. He really shouldn't be doing this. If AI was going to be around next year I would have preferred him to wait next year. But he's doing it and I give him kudos for his determination.

As to Dalton...his eyes are just killer. He's not the typical guy I go for and I still wouldn't but eyes are my weakness.

TBH if I were in Trent's shoes, unless I were so deathly ill or something, I would do exactly what he's doing. No way would I pass up a chance to be on Idol, especially the final season, sick or not. It's a once in a lifetime chance. He may be taking a lot of risks with his health but I'm sure they have the best doctors over there that can pump him full of the right medicine to get through it. I admire his determination and think it shows he has what it takes to make a career in this industry. I find it funny in a very ironic way that Trent wanted this so bad he battled through mono while somebody like Poh gave up for no reason in the middle of a round and never even told anyone- it shows who has what it takes to be there and who doesn't.

Dalton's eyes <3 The only guy I've ever seen that I think pulls off guy liner (sorry Adam)

• Love 2

TBH if I were in Trent's shoes, unless I were so deathly ill or something, I would do exactly what he's doing. No way would I pass up a chance to be on Idol, especially the final season, sick or not. It's a once in a lifetime chance. He may be taking a lot of risks with his health but I'm sure they have the best doctors over there that can pump him full of the right medicine to get through it. I admire his determination and think it shows he has what it takes to make a career in this industry. I find it funny in a very ironic way that Trent wanted this so bad he battled through mono while somebody like Poh gave up for no reason in the middle of a round and never even told anyone- it shows who has what it takes to be there and who doesn't.

Dalton's eyes <3 The only guy I've ever seen that I think pulls off guy liner (sorry Adam)

Trust me his determination to do this makes me admire him too. I hope he does well. It reminds me of Phillip who suffered through kidney issues and had surgery every week, usually the day or so before he sang. Phillip worked hard around his health issues and that made me admire him and be didn't even let the show use it until the finale was rolling around. (Unlike Caleb Johnson who had throat issues and they had a doctor announce it. *rolls eyes* )

So yeah Trent doing this whole having issues with his health has earned my respect, a part of me just worries.

OK, Trent, you finally got me after you threw down.  Props where they go.

It was funny that Brenda was mouthing the lyrics along with Gianna and shut up the second the red light of the camera hove into view.  I wondered if maybe Gianna had "had words" with her about doing it.

Who would abandon sweet bubbly little Kelly, even living-in-her-car Kelly?  Hope her sperm donor is not a gambler, 'cuz he made some kind of bad bet.  Also, he must be some kinda cold.  (Good for Sprinkles making the trains run on time with all the extra talking they let her do though, lol.)

I feel for tenderhearted Dalton also.  Not that I think we should pick our Idols solely on niceness but he's clearly such a perfect coach, I think he's happier when the other contestants do well than he's worried about having himself do well.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 4

I finally got a chance to watch.  I think Jennifer looked much better, with extensions and a bolder lip and less overdone eye.  And Keith looked awful with that holey t-shirt.  Jeez.  T-shirts are one thing but that thing has like 40 holes.  

Madeover Avalon looked good, though a bit like Kara Dioguardi to me.  I saw some Kendall Jenner and Chrissy Tiegen in Tristan's look.  

I have to give Idol credit....  I think I liked 13 of the top 14 and on The Voice I'm lucky if I like one.  I don't know if they somehow enhance the voices on the fly but the kids just sound better on this show.  

Sonika kind of gave me goosebumps at the beginning.  Which is weird because I feel nothing when LaPorsha sings, but apparently I'm missing something, given her reaction.  It doesn't help that I hate that Rihanna song.  I don't like LaPorsha's tacky old key earring, either.  At least her broccoli had some interesting new shapes this week, and some bedazzling.  

Trent looks healthy as hell to me.  Dalton sounded kind of plugged up and noseless in his package.

Aw, I too first sat up for AI when Archie sang Imagine.  Though it was probably the 3rd ep I watched.  But it was good.  And how sweet of Dalton to love Cookie.  How come my eyeliner isn't perfect in the morning?  His polish kind of reminds me of David.  He doesn't seem to be faking being a nice guy, who does just root for the others and think of the polite thing to do. 

I also liked Sonika admitting she wasn't into the show.  Good for bookworms.  I think she's too introverted to ever really emote on stage (at this age) like she'd have to but I hope she does well.  

That song of Kelly's slayed me. 

I have to give Idol credit....  I think I liked 13 of the top 14 and on The Voice I'm lucky if I like one.  I don't know if they somehow enhance the voices on the fly but the kids just sound better on this show.

I think it's due to the venue. I didn't like the previous Top 24 venue where everything was echo-y and the mix wasn't good. They also controlled Bandzilla this time round (unlike the Voice). Everyone sounds much better here. Except for Dalton. He's not a flashy singer but always sounded solid until this performance, where I could hear some weaknesses in his voice. I don't mind him though because he has charisma on-stage. I don't mind La'Porsha too but she's the type of contestant that I would only enjoy on a reality show. My ideal Top 4 would be Trent, Dalton, Avalon and La'Porsha.

I can't with MacKenzie and his whisper-singing. I know it's his signature style but he kills all the melody of songs.

Same with Olivia. She has this ability to make songs sound awkward and broken up, killing the melody.

Lee Jean, another dude with a sweet but breathy voice.

I mentioned that I like watching Trent because he's so compelling. However, I noticed that when I listen to his performances without watching, the vocals are almost perfect but when I watch him, it always feels this close to going off the rails (even though it doesn't). Strange, indeed.

Sonika has the voice but not the charisma. Tristan and Gianna are obviously not good enough compared to the rest that there is really not much to be said about them.

Edited by waving feather

I think Trent is the dark horse to win the whole thing. I think his age is the reason. Way too many teenagers, and most of the chicks cancel each other out. It's crazy to think Avalon and La'Porsha are around the same age but they don't look it at all. Trent has a look and a sound, which is pretty important. Girls like Dalton, and if he steps it up he might make the tour, but the season's cutie-pie never really wins. Last year notwithstanding.

La'Porsha is Top 4 Surprise Elimination material. They can hoop and holler for old girl all they want, but we're not into her for real.

So I think Trent being the only one who could make an album kids today might buy, radio would play his songs, and he might get a little traction in Hollywood, will win.

• Love 3

I swear, I cannot take much more of LaPorsha's broccoli head.  She sings ok but I want her gone soon because I just can't stand to look at her.  It's too bad because her face looks fine and someone needs to school her about that hair.

• Love 3

My random thoughts on Idol

I adore Kelly Clarkson.  Way to curious about RichKitchen's twitter battle .

Wish I could cry as pretty as Keith Urban .  Is Idol going to give Avalon a glamour makeover? (JMHO she is very pretty and her laid back look personality work).

Am I the only one who liked Trent?   Am I the only one who hates that diamond song?

• Love 3

Am I the only one who liked Trent?   Am I the only one who hates that diamond song?

I don't hate "Diamonds," but I would buy La'Porsha's version over Rhianna's in a heartbeat.  La'Porsha's tone is much more palatable to me.  There actually have been a couple of Idol covers that I've preferred over the originals.  (Michael Johns' Beatles covers come to mind.  Also, Jason Castro's "Fragile.")  

• Love 4

Oh no, Rihanna's voice on Diamonds takes it exactly where it needs to go IMO. And this is coming from a casual RiRi fan. La'Porsha took the song on about 32 unnecessary detours.

Actually in S12 IIRC, there was a girl named Jet who gave us a gorgeous version of Diamonds sitting at the piano. She didn't advance because she was clearly fodder in those weird semifinals that year...but she was still really good. Angie Miller also did Diamonds at some point that season too.

Edited because it was Jett Hermano and she actually did a really pretty version of Rihanna's Only Girl in the World. Angie did Diamonds though. I had that part right at least.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

With the way they seemed to promote Olivia earlier on I'd have expected her to be the one to go full out shocking performance instead of the sweet and humble Sonika.  I've always thought Olivia was putting on that self depreciating act anytime anyone praised her, I thought it was just too much.  But maybe she's real with it.  Whatever, she needs to put on her big girl panties and do something totally unexpected and show stopping this next week.  Go out full throttle!  She needs to pull up some Adam Lambert youtubes and figure out something to entertain us.  As far as whatever she is now and how her voice sounds, she's just 'eh' to me. 

To the poster above who saw Shirley Temple in Olivia-- thank you!  I've been saying that to my hubby from the beginning, now I can show him that picture and he doesn't have to hear me rattle on about it anymore ;)

Oh, and somehow I've missed why Ryan is nicknamed Sprinkles on this board-- anyone care to fill me in?  I never have figured out why Jeff Probst (Survivor) is called Peachy either.....  Thank you, Clueless

Both of those nicknames started on the old Television Without Pity boards. Sprinkles, because I believe Ryan was like comfortable ice cream (but I could be so far off on that) and Peachy because everything Jeff said was in the tone that it was "Just Peachy" which happened to be the same initials as Jeff Probst.

Now that I think about it, I'm wrong about Sprinkles, but I know it was something about ice cream. Maybe it was because his hair was so pointy.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

The only performance by Olivia that's truly blown me away so far was her showcase when she sang Maroon 5's "Love Somebody" and she did pretty well in spite of being sick. She hit (nearly hit, because of the illness) some pretty insane notes. She should do something like that again.

• Love 1

Both of those nicknames started on the old Television Without Pity boards. Sprinkles, because I believe Ryan was like comfortable ice cream (but I could be so far off on that) and Peachy because everything Jeff said was in the tone that it was "Just Peachy" which happened to be the same initials as Jeff Probst.

Now that I think about it, I'm wrong about Sprinkles, but I know it was something about ice cream. Maybe it was because his hair was so pointy.

In Season 1, Ryan had the tips of his hair blond.  That might have been the reason.  I also think that the producers made certain that no images of Ryan in Season 1 were shown when any tapes were shown.

• Love 3

I think it's due to the venue. I didn't like the previous Top 24 venue where everything was echo-y and the mix wasn't good. They also controlled Bandzilla this time round (unlike the Voice). Everyone sounds much better here. Except for Dalton. He's not a flashy singer but always sounded solid until this performance, where I could hear some weaknesses in his voice. I don't mind him though because he has charisma on-stage. 

I think that can fairly be put down to the flu/sinus infection.

• Love 1

I don't know what Sonika thought she was doing but it looked to me like both the song and the dress were wearing her.  They were too big for her to handle.  I thought the anonymous band member who sang the guy's part did a more compelling job.  

Crybaby Tristan and stage daughter Gianna can go home any time now.  I wouldn't be sorry to see La'Porsha leave either.  MacKenzie's answer about the meaning of I See Fire was seriously stupid.   

Rooting for Lee, he's my favorite.

I'm trying to remember, but I think the Sprinkles thing came from rainbow sprinkles, like Ryan was a sprinkling of colorful rays of refracted sunlight.  Or maybe because he's so small he's like the leprechaun found with the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  It was something rainbow related.

• Love 4

I don't know, Mackenzie probably would have sounded even dumber if he had said "I See Fire is about a bunch of dwarves and a hobbit fighting a dragon in Middle Earth." Because that's literally what the song was written for. 

• Love 5

I don't know, Mackenzie probably would have sounded even dumber if he had said "I See Fire is about a bunch of dwarves and a hobbit fighting a dragon in Middle Earth." Because that's literally what the song was written for. 

Ha! Very true. (On both points.) I suppose he could have said something about fellowship in the face of overwhelming odds, but he clearly hadn't expected a question about it.

• Love 2

I hope Jeneve is already in her natural home, Branson, MO.   She'd do great there and would be loved by all.

Olivia would be lucky to get a gig at her hometown Canyon Club.  I love that place.  

Poor Trent.  He was a limp, pimp.

That was a fur real Sonic-a boom.  It won't be much longer before wardrobe and Borchetta mess with her.  She has no shot at fending them off.  No chance at all.

JLo has aged several years in the past few months.  It really showed up again tonight.  She is beyond gorgeous, but she looks like the 40-something she is and not the 30-something she has manged to appear to be until recently.  Her excuse -making for the 15 year-olds genuinely angered me.  You got what you wanted, Miss.  Deal.

Was that Carrie Ann Clarkson?  Kelly Inaba Abdul?   Who was that guest jidge????   Turrible.  We are long past the shock and awe of Hollyweird Week.  No more excuses for how tough it all is to be up on stage.  You are Top 10 Finalists for cripes sake.  Hey, Kelly.  Where were you when 19E launched the cool and collected Stephany?  Oh.  Right.  You were probably squealing for Lee or Olivia.  

At this point, the only tour this bunch deserves is the "three hour" variety.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

After Kelly C's performance, it seems pretty clear none on those in this year's top ten (nor in most years) can hold a candle - much less bookend her win.  Some may have the voice (Sonika) and some may have the performance (perhaps Dalton), but none have it all.

For me, at this stage, I'd give it to MacKenzie who brings songwriting and heart.   He comes closest in spirit (IMO of course).

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3

They should just stop with this book ending nonsense. The only person who could ever bookend Kelly is Kelly herself. La'Porsha would be a vocally worthy winner but she doesn't have the same commercial appeal that Kelly did. What made Kelly a success was not just her astounding voice but also charming personality and humor, her pop appeal, charisma, and her heart when performing. All of the contestants this year have at least one or more of those qualities, but I don't think anyone has them all, at least not like she did/does.

• Love 5