Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Taken

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

It did have a delayed response and it required just the right amount of contrived situation to work... so perhaps Gary Stu was a little off his game. Or he can predict the future and knew to delay the working of the chip until these boots are made for walking moment.

Now that I think about it, I think he can predict the future - so perfect engineering. My mistake.

Having a delayed response is not even the issue. His chip could be the best in the world but it wouldn't instantly heal muscle atrophy which is what Felicity would have after being in a wheelchair for 3 months and barely any rehab. Like, why do they do this? LOL. 

• Love 8

I can't get over how dumb Felicity walking out looked. That kinda explains what EBR was saying about her changing focus or whatever. They killed Felicity's rehab/disability storyline for a very stupid scene. 

• Love 12

So Felicity pretty definitely dumped him, right? I hear it was way too short, but as long as she dumped him I can deal.

She laid the ring on the table, called him out for not including her in his decision about what next for William and then her feet tingled and she walked out on him. 

You will want to watch that bit and decide what ya take from it.  I know I will be rewatching, it was a rush thing at the end.

• Love 3

Um at least we got confirmation they only slept together once.... I did appreciate knowing that fact.

And BM seemed pretty reasonable this episode, I don't understand why they felt they needed to take the story in this direction of contrived drama. So many better ways to tell the story... but whatever it's over.

So glad that at least the episode was so ridiculous I could just laugh at it.

• Love 2

Okay I'll be the opposite, I didn't think the episode was that bad at all.

Didn't quote all your points, but they were all my high points as well! There were a lot of them. But they still couldn't overwhelm the truly awful stuff, and more importantly, the lackluster tone and anticlimactic resolution to all this garbage, for me.

• Love 3

Having seen that mess of an ep, I think I'm glad we have a month until the next one.  Yikes, that was difficult to get through.  Glad Samantha and William got the heave ho.  She was pretty awful but I thought the writing on the whole was terrible.  The fight scene in the hallway was a mess.  Are we done with Darhk?  Is that what MG was going on about?  Something they've never done with a big bad before?  No clue about the flashbacks (all fast-forwarded).  I just can't believe this is what they came up with for the secret kid storyline.  Complete hacks. 

I wish I could bring it back on the dvr just so I can delete it again.

• Love 5

Is it safe to assume Keto Shimuzo (sp) doesn't like Felicity?  IIRC she was one of the writers on 4.13 Sins of the Father where Felicity twice told us her problems with her dad were really not that important.  In this one everyone gets a real POV about Oliver and William except Felicity.

I think we made it out of sweeps with no flashback hookups. (I said I think because I tend to zone out during them.) 

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 13

Um at least we got confirmation they only slept together once.... I did appreciate knowing that fact.

So stupid douchey!Oliver couldn't be bothered to cover it for one night? My head!canon is Oliver got played. 

• Love 2

Didn't quote all your points, but they were all my high points as well! There were a lot of them. But they still couldn't overwhelm the truly awful stuff, and more importantly, the lackluster tone and anticlimactic resolution to all this garbage, for me.

Yeah, it was just anticlimactic for me as well. No one seemed all that worried or frantic about getting William back except for maybe Samantha a time or two. But she knew Oliver had something to do with it and yet it took her 2 days to contact him? Oliver flew to Detroit to get Vixen? He had a whole relaxed, easy convo in the middle of his campaign office with Felicity? It seemed like it was a complete slog to get through for everyone involved IMO. 

Felicity walking out in context was pretty terrible, but I'm glad they did it because it kind of erased a lot of the ick I was feeling about this episode - because it was so hilariously done. 

• Love 11

Felicity walking out on Oliver as literally the first thing that she does after regaining the use of her legs is pretty hilarious.  SA was really good in that confession scene but even he could sell that scene with a straight face.  Not SA's finest acting moment there.

Along with the break-up stupidity, there’s Oliver not IMMEDIATELY realizing that Malcolm was the one who gave Malcolm up.  Two weeks after Malcolm pretty much threatened to do so which Oliver acted like never happened almost immediately.  God, that stupid.

Still, I actually really enjoyed this episode.

I liked Vixen a lot and hope she’ll be on Legends of Tomorrow next year, providing the show gets a second season.  I liked the scene where she smashed the totem.

NM once again killed it as DD..

Loved Oliver trying to explain to the gang that Constantine was literally in hell.

So who is going to be Mayor of Star City now?

I actually felt bad for in this but I admit I would howled if after she told her father that Oliver had cheated on her when he had his son, Quinten would have replied “This is a bad time to tell you this, sweetheart, but I’m not actually your father.”

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Since when do Oliver and Thea know the difference between a biological father and a father? I'm shocked. Can't wait for them to murder him later this season.

That would be a righteous kill if ever there was one!

• Love 2

Having a delayed response is not even the issue. His chip could be the best in the world but it wouldn't instantly heal muscle atrophy which is what Felicity would have after being in a wheelchair for 3 months and barely any rehab. Like, why do they do this? LOL. 

Totally agree... but as a health professional I had to detach any amount of logic and realism from this paralysis storyline for my mental health when I realized they were using it as a gimmick. Beyond EBR's performance, nothing about the paralysis story was logical or even "organic".

One niche of mine in school was analyzing how health issues are represented in the media, so I usually get invested in health storylines. TV is a powerful medium and can make a difference in how the general population can see & understand health issues. Most people get their information from non-traditional sources like TV. It's why I was disappointed that ARROW chose to do this paralysis story because I knew that telling educational or realistic story was never on their agenda.

• Love 5

I really liked Vixen, but I was sorta cringing that she had to be involved in this mess. I still give no fucks about William, even after this episode, so it was impossible to be emotionally invested in why Vixen was needed.

And the part I AM invested in -- Oliver and Felicity and their relationship -- was pretty terrible in its absence. They were as unwritten as they could have been, which was a whole different kind of cringe-worthy.

• Love 11

I wish she had actually finished what she was saying. Or maybe she did and I didn't hear it because I was laughing too hard.

I actually started laughing, too, so maybe I'm wrong, but I took giving the ring back as the break up. I need to rewatch that part again. 

If I throw logic and what I know of the human body out the window, I think I can forgive Felicity just walking out of there with no issues with muscle atrophy at all. Because that was probably the best moment of this very lackluster episode, for me.

Also, I always notice EBR's fantastically toned calves just there on display whenever the camera pans to her in her wheelchair and she's wearing a dress. As much as I commend her for purposefully not moving her legs at all and doing a good job with her wheelchair-acting, those calves are not the kind of calves that people who are unable to move their legs (even for just the 2-3 months that she was paralyzed) would typically have.

• Love 1

I for one am not laughing.  I wish I could but that was painful.  How is it no one ever pointed out that Oliver didn't have to lie to Felicity?  I hated that the same brain damaged crap came out of Diggle's mouth that Thea was spewing last week.  Yes, we all know that BM insisted you tell no one but that didn't create an impossible situation.  They even had Felicity agreeing he was being forced to choose between William and her and then she says he was right that he should have told her.  I don't even understand the dialogue and I really don't want to watch it again.

It was a knife just being twisted when one person after another is revealed to have known the no one can know secret.  I hate that only Laurel was really upset.  I mean, I was happy she got to have a reaction but I hate that we got more of her POV than the person is was affecting the most beside Oliver. 

If I can be utterly detached from how badly they botched the BMD it wasn't a terrible episode.  DD was great again, I was fine with most of Mari's screen time (some CGI was bad but no worse than Oliver sliding down a zip line)  Thea got to shoot an arrow on the back of a motorcycle while hanging over backwards.  That was fun.  Thea FINALLY being done with Malcolm though Malcom still managed to walk out convinced he was the hurt party. 

I even felt the emotion in Oliver's video letter to William.  There was some solid stuff in the episode but it's all built on a mountain of monumentally stupid. 

I just needed one person to point out that he could have lied to BM and she would have had no way of finding out.  But that's not to be.

Who was it that said Felicity would be breaking up with Oliver for more than just him lying to her?  Well that was true.  She walked away because he can't seem to understand what a partnership means.  She might have walked away because Oliver's video diary was the final straw, another bit of proof that he's still trying to do it all on his own.  

I really hate this storyline because I know Felicity is going to get eviscerated for leaving.  Though technically all she did was hand back the ring and say she needed space. 

Also can I please point out how STUPID Oliver is being with his instructions to BM not to tell him where they are going.  Just because HE doesn't know doesn't mean that nobody else could find them.  There was no talk of changing names or dropping off the grid.  Nope, they were just moving.  I could probably find them with a Google Search. Again, if Thea was able to put two and two together about who William was, so could anyone else that digs into Oliver's background. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 11

I actually started laughing, too, so maybe I'm wrong, but I took giving the ring back as the break up. I need to rewatch that part again. 

Oh, definitely. I don't think there's any doubt they're broken up. But I was looking most forward to what she'd say to him, and she never even finished!

• Love 2

Yeah, I agree, I felt like I'd been watching this episode for 2 years. There was no urgency from anyone. It really felt like everyone was phoning it in tbh.

I did like Vixen, although I have to admit when I first saw her it came across a little cheesy. But that's just something I have to get used to with comic book shows, I guess. 

They totally missed a reaction shot of Diggle being freaked out by her powers though! LOL.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1

So basically what I'm getting is... this whole storyline was for nothing. LOL OKAY. 

But silver lining:

• Kid is gone for good
  • Felicity left Oliver (let's be real, both of them need it)
  • Vixen was cool and should come back
  • THEA REMEMBERS HER FATHER?!
  • KID IS GONE FOR GOOD

Lol SA loved this episode :p You know why though, he loved acting it, nothing to do with the quality of the episode itself. 

• Love 11

Was Oliver even sad? It didn't seem that he tried to talk her out of it. Maybe he's happy that dead-end relash is finallly over.

Yes? Maybe? They literally started the break up at 8:57 or so so it didn't really have a lot of time to breathe (as with most high emotion moments on this show.) He was also already sad about losing Spawn for. ever. so that was there as well. Plus Felicity decided/felt she could suddenly walk. There was a lot going on in the final minutes of the show. 

• Love 3

I didn't laugh at Felicity walking away (I booed) but I did laugh at the kid and the mom getting put on a train/car to Nowhere, USA the second Oliver and Felicity got a reason to breakup. It was so freaking lazy.

Edited by hogwash
  • Love 1

Yes? Maybe? They literally started the break up at 8:57 or so so it didn't really have a lot of time to breathe (as with most high emotion moments on this show.) He was also already sad about losing Spawn for. ever. so that was there as well. Plus Felicity decided/felt she could suddenly walk. There was a lot going on in the final minutes of the show. 

I think that they were so worried about backlash from relationship drama that they had everyone play it super, *super* low key. Like barely there low key. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4

So I'm watching Black-ish, first time ever but they are doing a really powerful story on race relations in modern society. I recommend it. It's really nicely done so far... I feel like I am getting back the brain cells Arrow killed tonight.

• Love 2

I also enjoy that they've been battling DD for month and months. He's paralyzed Felicity, almost gassed TA to death, shot up a rally, and has been using magic all this time, and it's only now that MY SON was taken that suddenly Mari (and Constantine) come up. I love them, but how does this team function with so few brain cells between them? 

• Love 13

Wow. That was painful. Oliver's lucky Felicity didn't lose a shoe putting her foot up his ass. Yeah, Samantha was being a tad unreasonable in her conditions, but Ollie keeps making the wrong calls. How much you want to bet Felicity gives Barry a call? He's coming off a breakup, they had good chemistry, and homeboy can get to Star City in a hurry.

Before I go to the CW site . .. are Vixen's adventures worth watching? I think the character's peak was in Justice League Unlimited, but the actress playing her did a good job. And I like the effects. She could totally work on Flash or Legends if the writers needed her.

How fucked is Dark? I'm guessing he got arrested, and he's powerless without his totem doodad. So why do I think he's still going to make trouble for Oliver. And while I'm thinking about it: How the fuck does Dark NOT know Oliver Queen is Green Arrow?!? I mean, you'd think Malcolm would have dropped a few hints, since he's a total assclown like that.

Month's hiatus? Super. Means I get free time after watching Survivor "live," as opposed to shotgunning Arrow after the credits.

• Love 1

I don't think I've ever laughed this much during an episode of Arrow before, considering the material I don't think that's a good thing

Loved that Thea finally told Malcolm (again), what a scumbag he is. Can't believe he had the balls to spew half the crap that came out of his mouth.

The chip activating just in time for Felicity to walk away was hilarious. Gold star humour, which again probably wasn't what they were going for...

• Love 3

Felicity's like: I leave you with your tears, my ring, and also this wheelchair. Peace.

Haha, what a mess. Sure, Felicity, he should have told you, but you lost me with the whole, you didn't include me on the decision to send William away. Why would he, Felicity? William's not your kid. It has literally nothing to do with you, even in the vague I'm-dating-the-dad way. He's not your kid. Did you include Oliver when you decided to help out Laurel and Diggle? I realize marriage wasn't on the table then but you were still in a relationship.

• Love 3

I think this was a good episode. Especially because of the episode I had in my head was 1000000 times worst. I liked the Break up as much as I can like a break up of a good couple. I think a quiet break has more power than a loud one. Felicity is beyond hurt much more than she is angry. Anger happened when she wasn't allowed to show it because William's life was in jeopardy.  Now she is hurt and disappointed. This is the ending we probably should have at the end of season 3. Now with that Olicity ending, the Thea&Malcolm's hash out and Malcolm the villain focus for now-It feels like this last 3rd is the true end of season 3. 

• Love 7

I for one am not laughing.  I wish I could but that was painful.  How is it no one ever pointed out that Oliver didn't have to lie to Felicity?  I hated that the same brain damaged crap came out of Diggle's mouth that Thea was spewing last week.  Yes, we all know that BM insisted you tell no one but that didn't create an impossible situation.  They even had Felicity agreeing he was being forced to choose between William and her and then she says he was right that he should have told her.  I don't even understand the dialogue and I really don't want to watch it again.

It was a knife just being twisted when one person after another is revealed to have known the no one can know secret.  I hate that only Laurel was really upset.  I mean, I was happy she got to have a reaction but I hate that we got more of her POV than the person is was affecting the most beside Oliver. 

If I can be utterly detached from how badly they botched the BMD it wasn't a terrible episode.  DD was great again, I was fine with most of Mari's screen time (some CGI was bad but no worse than Oliver sliding down a zip line)  Thea got to shoot an arrow on the back of a motorcycle while hanging over backwards.  That was fun.  Thea FINALLY being done with Malcolm though Malcom still managed to walk out convinced he was the hurt party. 

I even felt the emotion in Oliver's video letter to William.  There was some solid stuff in the episode but it's all built on a mountain of monumentally stupid. 

I just needed one person to point out that he could have lied to BM and she would have had no way of finding out.  But that's not to be.

Who was it that said Felicity would be breaking up with Oliver for more than just him lying to her?  Well that was true.  She walked away because he can't seem to understand what a partnership means.  She might have walked away because Oliver's video diary was the final proof straw, another bit of proof that he's still trying to do it all on his own.  

I really hate this storyline because I know Felicity is going to get eviscerated for leaving.  Though technically all she did was hand back the ring and say she needed space. 

Also can I please point out how STUPID Oliver is being with his instructions to BM not to tell him where they are going.  Just because HE doesn't know doesn't mean that nobody else could find them.  There was no talk of changing names or dropping off the grid.  Nope, they were just moving.  I could probably find them with a Google Search. Again, if Thea was able to put two and two together about who William was, so could anyone else that digs into Oliver's background. 

I've been in the "they aren't writing a pending break up" category that I've been insisting it would have to be more than the lie AND I wasn't even convinced it was going to happen.  And since it started with less time left in the episode than they spent on the stupid flashbacks - I was almost certain I was right.  Oh and the squeezed in her walking in the middle of it.  I mean, I feel like Felicity has good reasons - and she was almost able to voice them - but then we had to have her literally walk out on him!

There are a lot of things this season that might have been better (Sara's resurrection, Thea's bloodlust) if they had been given room to breathe and have emotional resonance. In many ways, I'm just glad this is over so we can deal with what comes next.  And that my worst fears - that Felicity would come off looking bad - were not realized.  But I bet anything Oliver will be like many men I know and still not understand why she left three/four weeks from now when the show returns.

• Love 6

So is Felicity's superpower now "SuperFuckYou" that fuels her ability to get up and out of a wheelchair with a chip implant and walk out when she's getting screwed over?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4

The fight scene in the hallway was a mess.

I was too busy wondering why they were fighting in Laurel's hallway to even notice the actual fighting.  You think I'm not going to notice the cream colored walls and the detail on the paneling? Sigh.  Thought it would have been hilarious if it turned out William was being held in Laurel's basement. 

I'm ragey that Oliver will listen to every damn person except for Felicity.  And then he makes peace with William and Samantha before he thinks to talk to Felicity?

Maybe Ray is available for dating now that she's free of Oliver?

YOU?  You are considering Ray as an option?  Boy howdy.  Now I know just how upset you are. 

Was Oliver even sad? It didn't seem that he tried to talk her out of it. Maybe he's happy that dead-end relash is finallly over.

More stunned and distracted that she could walk.  Didn't get much of any response, hence the deeply unsatisfying.  Salt on the wound the promo for the next episode where Oliver is moping about it to Laurel.  Nope, not a fan. 

• Love 5

I don't think I was supposed to, but I found this episode hysterical.

At the beginning, when Oliver was telling everybody about William, and Felicity found out that Dark knew, obviously. And Barry. And Thea. And Malcolm. I imagine I was supposed to feel bad for Felicity but I couldn't help laughing.

Malcolm's ability to lie convincingly must have been in the hand he lost because Thea is no longer buying his BS.

So Dark no longer has the power but I imagine he doesn't need the magic was whatever he has planned. He does have something planned, right? I think we got a hint of it a while back but they've been pretty mum about it ever since.

Alex's whole scene, his facial expression, was what I had been saying all along. "Why am I even here?" Seriously. The whole mayor thing never made sense to me. How did Oliver think he was going to be mayor when he has all those arrows to shoot into people?

Felicity walking out on Oliver was perfect. He's just lucky she didn't kick in the face, or perhaps somewhere lower, first.

• Love 10

Felicity's like: I leave you with your tears, my ring, and also this wheelchair. Peace.

Haha, what a mess. Sure, Felicity, he should have told you, but you lost me with the whole, you didn't include me on the decision to send William away. Why would he, Felicity? William's not your kid. It has literally nothing to do with you, even in the vague I'm-dating-the-dad way. He's not your kid. Did you include Oliver when you decided to help out Laurel and Diggle? I realize marriage wasn't on the table then but you were still in a relationship.

I ddin't watch the episode but here's my take on that line (I watched a video of it though because I needed a laugh): 

Oliver makes so many decisions in the relationship, that, that's not what marriage is about. I think Felicity wanted to feel valued and have him lean on her a bit, and have him ask for her opinion because that's what married couples do when it comes to huge decisions like this. I mean at least, that's what I expect when it comes to my marriage.  And it's because of that, Felicity knew he wasn't ready for marriage. 

• Love 12

So basically what I'm getting is... this whole storyline was for nothing. LOL OKAY. 

But silver lining:

• Kid is gone for good
  • Felicity left Oliver (let's be real, both of them need it)
  • Vixen was cool and should come back
  • THEA REMEMBERS HER FATHER?!
  • KID IS GONE FOR GOOD

Lol SA loved this episode :p You know why though, he loved acting it, nothing to do with the quality of the episode itself. 

I don't think the storyline was for nothing.  Oliver and Felicity were always going to break up this season.  There is no way any show has their top couple get together and stay together without breaking up at least once.  So the BMD story was a way to break them up without going the cheating route. For that reason alone, I will take this BMD story. It would have been much worse if they did some contrived cheating story.  The writing could have been better, but that's pretty much true of every episode.  This show never lets a scene breath before rushing onto the next thing.

As for SA, I can see why he liked the episode.  It's not my favorite, but then actors have a different criteria for what stories are they love than I do as a viewer. 

• Love 9

I was too busy wondering why they were fighting in Laurel's hallway to even notice the actual fighting.  You think I'm not going to notice the cream colored walls and the detail on the paneling? Sigh.  Thought it would have been hilarious if it turned out William was being held in Laurel's basement. 

Heh, I forgot to mention that.  I died laughing when I realized they were in Laurel's hallway.  That was completely hilarious.  I mean, I'm usually pretty bad at recognizing when they reuse sets, but even I picked up on that one.

I also forgot to mention I did like Vixen and the actress who played her.  I wasn't at all thrilled at the prospect of having yet another hero show up just to see if she works to spin off somewhere else, but I thought she was very likeable.

I did find myself disappointed that Oliver suspended his mayoral campaign.  I guess I didn't realize I cared about that storyline that much.  Wonder if, with Darhk presumably powerless and in custody, his wife will be exposed and Oliver will start up the campaign again. 

• Love 2

I think that they were so worried about backlash from relationship drama that they had everyone play it super, *super* low key. Like barely there low key.

ITA with this. They knew people would flip out so they had to temper it until it lost all emotional weight. MG is certainly doing his best to control the fallout with the screenshot released earlier today.

This show though...if I roll my eyes one more time, they're going to fall out of my head. I wonder if TPTB realize just how much this show has become a bad parody of itself.

• Love 6

I ddin't watch the episode but here's my take on that line (I watched a video of it though because I needed a laugh): 

Oliver makes so many decisions in the relationship, that, that's not what marriage is about. I think Felicity wanted to feel valued and have him lean on her a bit, and have him ask for her opinion because that's what married couples do when it comes to huge decisions like this. I mean at least, that's what I expect when it comes to my marriage.  And it's because of that, Felicity knew he wasn't ready for marriage. 

Yeah, I don't think she wanted it a joint decision. It seemed more like she wanted him to let her in and keep her informed. Even the most forgiving person would be WTF at Oliver's inability to be open and honest. He rescues his kid and decides to not see him until he turns 18. Any rational person would want to talk about that with their significant other. Bounce off ideas, let out frustration, etc. But not Oliver. Apparently. 

• Love 13

That episode was just underwhelming. I mean, you have a kid kidnapped, there's a deadline, and yet there was no sense of urgency during the whole episode. The fact that Felicity learned about it at the beginning of the ep and didn't really get to have a real reaction until 2 minutes before the end left the whole thing feeling anti-climactic. Someone upthread mentioned that these writers keep side-stepping the emotions. They do it all the time and it's frustrating. It's like they're afraid of emotions. They're certainly not afraid of drama, but they won't let their characters have authentic reactions.

Anyone else got the feeling that they kinda backtracked? From how Oliver was talking to Felicity, he made it sound like he'd only seen the kid once, when everybody in Central City. 

• Love 12