Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Edge of Mystery / S02.E09: A Little Song and Dance

I agree that I don't care for back-to-back episodes.  I realise that I can always just save it for later, but that's a long time to be sitting in front of the TV.

I hated the song and dance.  I don't care how talented or untalented these people are.  It was so out of place and awkward.  At least we didn't have to see Chad Michael Murray attempt to sing.  Did we?  If he was there, I missed him because I kind of tuned out.

I know lots of people love Wilkes, but I can't stand him and I hope he really did blow himself up at the end.  He betrayed the person who cared about him the most, and decided to work with murderers.  He deserves no happy ending in all of this.

Vernon isn't dead, is he?  At least not yet?  I think Whitney started the black goop process but didn't finish it because Wilkes burst into the room.

How many weeks are left?  There were so many double crosses in this episode I couldn't keep anything straight.

Vernon isn't dead, is he?  At least not yet?  I think Whitney started the black goop process but didn't finish it because Wilkes burst into the room.

I don't think Vernon is dead unless the bomb worked (maybe Wilkes will absorb it all). Whitney stopped the zero-matter process when Vernon pointed out that the device they had brought was a bomb.  She was trying to process that and then Wilkes burst in to further disrupt the situation. Vernon looked like he wasn't as far along the zero-matter process as Dottie and Dottie survived. Dottie actually had black goop welling up in her mouth.

Wilkes looked like he was coming apart at the seems.

Both Wilkes and Whitney referenced a voice in their head telling them what to do. Whose voice are they hearing? The first victim (the lady in the lake)?  Why did the voice stop talking to Whitney?  Why does the voice know so much?

I'm surprised the mafia guy isn't running low on henchmen by now. Peggy is really cutting a swath through them.

Thompson continues to be a sneaky, backstabbing little weasel. It's not hard to figure out what side he's on. He's on Team Thompson, looking out for his own interests, as always.

Jack's a crafty little bastard, huh?  Playing everyone so he can try to take out both Vernon and Whitney at the same time.  The man has ambition, I'll give him that!

Man, Jack's ability to read social cues was off the chart last night. Was there anybody he wasn't able to find a successful angle to play? He knew exactly what to say to everybody to get them to think he was on their side. And, he is not wrong about taking out Whitney and Vernon. Vernon will kill them all and not give a second thought about it.

Great entertaining eps. For me, my man of the hour(s) was JT. As bad a rep as he developed, Chad Michael Murray is doing a fantastic job with amazing material. Of all the characterizations written with energy, vigor, and complexity, I'm most interested in Thompson's nuances.

I'm gonna get fire flinging glares for this, but, I could see- with several years and a little more depth- JT and PC being an amazing pair. Thompson has political capital and is building a resume that can be respected by politicos and heroes alike. My head-canon has developed him with an upbringing in an environment filled with political animals and with little to no influence from anyone with the nobility to insist that means matter. Now that he's undertaking leadership, he's actually beginning to grasp the weight of it- and is willing to do the right thing.

It would have personally benefited Thompson to allow Sousa and the doc to be ganked in the desert. Playing the odds, he might have survived allowing Vernon to come back from his meet with Whit. Hell, he could have gone back to NY and allowed the good guys and bad guys to destroy one another then picked up the pieces, but he didn't. IMO, he can prioritize himself beneath the greater good, but he's not that well equipped to assess what "good" really is.

• Love 2

-if everyone has dirt on each other, what's the dirt on Peggy? Or Daniel?

The dirt on Peggy includes whatever is in the file that Thompson got. It appears to be fabricated, but as Vernon says, that doesn't matter. It's in a file, and thus official. It would also involve various bouts of insubordination, ranging from freeing Dottie to refusing to come back to New York when ordered.

The dirt on Daniel includes that he was insubordinate a number of times to Masters, straight up lying about knowing about the whereabouts of atomic material. He also would be susceptible to being slimed that he let Peggy Carter do what she wanted because he was thinking with Li'l Daniel. 

It's funny. I saw both those things completely differently. Because (I'm pretty sure Judas talks about this) in both cases that position, of the designated villain, has been assigned to them by forces beyond their control, and they're faced with retribution for a crime they haven't committed. Then we judge them for how gracefully they handle it. It strikes me as an indictment of the no-win situation black men in this society face.

If that's what the writers intended, then it becomes really depressing. Because Wilkes' story is about a total loss of agency. He starts out as an accomplished scientist. Then he loses his physical form, and gets corrupted by black matter, and gets held prisoner by Whitney, then really gets corrupted by black matter. His plot has been a continuous downfall in which there was little he could do to stop it.

Compare that to Peggy and Whitney. Their plots center around the sexism of the era. And they are both given opportunities to confront it. Wilkes? He never had a chance.

On a lighter note. Dottie:"I'll always be in your head Peggy." I don't often ship characters, but. . . 

It was nice to see Enver Gjokaj without the crutch. I wince whenever he takes a step with it because I remember Laura Innes talking about the pain she developed from using crutches on ER.

Edited by xaxat
Then he loses his physical form, and gets corrupted by black matter, and gets held prisoner by Whitney, then really gets corrupted by black matter.

Wilkes himself said that he was not corrupted by Zero Matter. He made the choice to do what he did. He was desperate to save his life, but he chose to hold a gun on Peggy, help to steal nukes and set off those nukes. He wasn't forced to do it by Whitney because he could have stayed in his containment chamber until Stark found another solution. (Whitney does imprison him repeatedly, but at the point when Jarvis/Peggy rescue him, he's choosing to do what he does).

Zero Matter isn't changing who Whitney is. It just changed how much power she has.

His plot has been a continuous downfall in which there was little he could do to stop it.

He was the one who developed a solution to keep himself in a corporal form. He is also the one who chose to steal nukes and use them. The first choice was a good one, the latter led to his downfall. He's certainly been a victim of a lot of things, but he has had some agency. I'm not arguing he has had a lot, but he hasn't had none.

• Love 4

If the dance number was intended to be Peggy's subconscious working through her relationship issues it's no surprise Wilkes and Sousa were there since they were the main contenders (the lack of Steve was glaring, even though they obviously couldn't afford Evans for a cameo) but the shippers must be having a field day with the fact that Angie and Dottie both featured so prominently.

• Love 3
Because Wilkes' story is about a total loss of agency.

We see him making decisions for himself, and acting on them.  His choices might be limited by his circumstances, but they're still his choices.

I wince whenever he takes a step with it because I remember Laura Innes talking about the pain she developed from using crutches on ER.

Using the crutch on the correct side would help.  (Pro tip:  on the arm opposite the injured leg.)

Does Peggy have a lot of femslash shippers?

Welcome to the internet!

Edited by ChelseaNH
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

And now I'm thinking about Jarvis and Ana treating young Tony Stark as the child they never had and now I have feels.

Just imagine Howard and Maria telling Jarvis and Ana right after Tony's born, that they're his godparents.

• Love 1

I was not expecting Agent Carter: The Musical. I'm glad I watched the second hour a day after the first, because I think that's a little jarring back-to-back.

Also--sigh--I don't even like Sousa, but it sat wrong with me that in Peggy's dream sequence they had him throw his cane away. It felt like a disservice to not just Sousa but also Peggy. The whole point of Peggy/Steve was that she liked scrawny Steve just as much as Cap Steve. So her unconscious having Sousa throw the cane away...it just left a poor taste in my mouth.

I get what you're saying, but I'm hoping that's not the point they were trying to make. Just an episode earlier, Sousa said he'd be willing to do a lot to be able to walk again without that crutch. I took it as Peggy processing that statement through her musical dream sequence, which turned it into a full on dance number. 

Peggy looked so pretty in that dream sequence, but for some reason the long hair makes her look more like Hayley and less like Peggy. Does that make any sense? And if anyone wants the shoes she was wearing (I'm sorely tempted), I'm pretty sure they're these

I loved the throwback to last season with "Do as Peggy says." Also put me down for never expecting to hear Thompson say that. And man, Thompson crossed people so many times, I've lost count.

Overall, I think I liked "The Edge of Mystery" better of the two, but I'm curious to see how we wrap this all up in just one more episode.

Just imagine Howard and Maria telling Jarvis and Ana right after Tony's born, that they're his godparents.

I'm pretty sure it was recently revealed that Tony is adopted?  Religion is something that is often not mentioned in the comics, with the notable exception of heroes who are Jewish (Thing, Shadowcat, Magneto, etc.)  The surname Stark is likely of English origin, so I always assumed the family was Anglican.  I think the Church of England abolished the role of godparents long ago, and I think it is mostly only Catholics who have godparents?  The Starks don't strike me as particularly religious.

We only see an old Jarvis in the comics, so I am not really sure what happens to Ana.  I think she was probably created just for the show?  Godparent or not, I would assume that Jarvis has known Tony since he was a baby, so he would naturally view Tony as the son he never had.  Much like the Carson / Lady Mary relationship on "Downton Abbey".  

Whitney Frost does some excellent crazy eye acting!

I love Ken Marino but wasn't sure what to make of him showing up on Agent Carter.  I thought it would be a one-n-done performance, but to my surprise (and delight) Manfredi showed up again!  I shouldn't like Manfredi as he just shoots people, including his own man, at point zero range, but he is illogically endearing. 

Everything else I would want to have said has already been said, but I too would like more Agent Carter seasons in the future.

• Love 4

Welcome to the internet!

Is that where this is? ;)

I was just a little surprised. I don't really do tumblr, and I think everyone who's mentioned it here has shipped her with a man. Although I think Dottie ships herself with Peggy a little...

I love Ken Marino but wasn't sure what to make of him showing up on Agent Carter.  I thought it would be a one-n-done performance, but to my surprise (and delight) Manfredi showed up again!  I shouldn't like Manfredi as he just shoots people, including his own man, at point zero range, but he is illogically endearing.

He's completely crazy, but he keeps having these little chivalrous moments, and they're weirdly sweet, at least from the other side of the glass.

While I've kind of accepted that continuity isn't a concept Marvel always sticks too, I just throw this out into the mix.

In the Iron Man movies, Tony Stark very clearly explained that J.A.R.V.I.S stands for (Just A Rather Very Intelligent System).  Now it's true that Tony Stark is also an incredibly emotionally stunted individual and I doubt he'd ever own up to "I named my protector AI after the man who raised me like his own".  But then so much of Tony Stark's emotional issues have been linked to Howard Stark's lousy parenting.  So if Tony had the loving influence of Edwin and Ana Jarvis, why would he be so messed up by Howard?

Marvel and linear story telling have a passing acquaintance at best and they're not shy about retcons and complete change ups, so anything is possible.  It's part of why trying to pick out the Future Mr. Carter from the hints in the Captain America movies and this show are so dang difficult.

• Love 1

I too have a soft spot for Manfredi.  Actually, I have a soft spot in general for crazy villain couples, and Whitney and Manfredi definitely qualify there.

Peggy and Jarvis are the best.  Hayley Atwell and James D'Arcy have so won me over as actors -- in this show in general, but they've done a particularly great job in these episodes -- that I would basically watch them in anything.

Sousa has become more interesting to me lately (never had a problem with him, but he was usually just "nice" and not much else).  His frustration with Aloysius was hilarious.  Jack's manipulations have my head spinning, but I am so glad he's not just blindly following Vernon.  Wilkes disappoints me; I don't feel like we've really seen his desperation go to the point of holding a gun to Peggy's head.  I would almost rather he blamed his sudden turn on the voice in his head.

• Love 4

I get what you're saying, but I'm hoping that's not the point they were trying to make. Just an episode earlier, Sousa said he'd be willing to do a lot to be able to walk again without that crutch. I took it as Peggy processing that statement through her musical dream sequence, which turned it into a full on dance number.

Oh, I'm quite sure that was not the point they were trying to make. I just think no one in the writing room stopped to think about it and realized how it could come off, which in some respects might be more frustrating.

When Jarvis was all rumpled in the hospital he looked so young and vulnerable. I thought he was meant to be about 40 but he looked (to my elderly eyes) to be barely 30.

I noticed that, too! He's only 40 in real life, but I thought he also looked even younger (of course, I'm elderly, too). He's really a very handsome man. 

• Love 1

Jarvis making all sorts of promises to a comatose Ana was so painful and real.

It really was.  The combination of acting and writing caught me off guard, especially when he got to the ridiculous couple argument things like promising to chew his food more quietly and get a Burmese mountain dog.

Lotte Verbeek as Ana Jarvis is also doing well.  She's as inherently likable as Peggy without being at all like her.

Some good moments in these.

• Love 11

It really was.  The combination of acting and writing caught me off guard, especially when he got to the ridiculous couple argument things like promising to chew his food more quietly and get a Burmese mountain dog.

Lotte Verbeek as Ana Jarvis is also doing well.  She's as inherently likable as Peggy without being at all like her.

Some good moments in these.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, not just about Anna, but about all the women we've seen on the show. There is an inherent likable-ness or at least fascination with all of them. Peggy, Rose, Angie, Dottie, Whitney, Anna.... they are fully formed and fascinating  and yet all different at the same time. This is how you develop characters.

• Love 13

My love for this show just grows and grows. I mean, an added dance number? The return of Angie? More of Ken Mariano hamming it up? This is A+ stuff!

I was disappointed that Wilkes started working with Whitney, but at least he owned up to it. He made those choices, and he admitted that he screwed up, even when Peggy was offering him an easy excuse. Maybe it was the voices in his head that got to him. 

I thought Ken Mariano as the gangster would be a one and done deal, but I am happily surprised to see more of him. Clearly a better fit for Whitney then her loser husband. Although, I do wonder how he keeps his thugs from all starting some kind of thug union, what with all the times he seems to kill off his goons for looking at someone weird or something. The health benefits must be awful. 

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure it was recently revealed that Tony is adopted?

Only in the comics, not the MCU (thankfully, because it's a stupid, stupid plot twist).

I keep expecting Manfredi to be afraid of Whitney, or to turn on her, or to reveal that he's been planning to betray her all along, and he never does. He just follows along devotedly and kills his men for her and gives her waste management plants and tells her she's beautiful. Awww. They're my evil OTP. They should go raise hideous scientific creations and do evil physics on a volcanic island somewhere, awfully ever after.

• Love 11

Whitney romancing Manfredi was a nice echo of the famous Lana Turner- Johnny Stompanato affair, the glamorous movie star and the mob guy.

I had to google this.

Their relationship was stormy; it was often punctuated with frequent arguments and fights. In 1957 Stompanato became so jealous about Turner's relationship with future James Bond actor Sean Connery, he flew to the United Kingdom. He stormed onto the set of Another Time, Another Place threatening Connery with a gun. Unperturbed, the 6 ft 2 in Scotsman, who was a former body builder, bent Stompanato's hand back forcing him to drop the weapon.[4] He was reported to the police and quietly deported from the United Kingdom
On April 4, 1958, Stompanato was stabbed to death by Turner's teenage daughter Cheryl Crane at her mother's home in Beverly Hills, California. She claimed that Stompanato had been violently attacking her mother so she stabbed him. A trial returned the verdict of justifiable homicide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Stompanato

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 2

I keep expecting Manfredi to be afraid of Whitney, or to turn on her, or to reveal that he's been planning to betray her all along, and he never does. He just follows along devotedly and kills his men for her and gives her waste management plants and tells her she's beautiful. Awww. They're my evil OTP. They should go raise hideous scientific creations and do evil physics on a volcanic island somewhere, awfully ever after.

I would so watch this!  And I want to see Manfredi's Mom (or whoever that was in the kitchen with him) to go with them and blister Whitney with criticism all in Italian.

• Love 1

Only in the comics, not the MCU (thankfully, because it's a stupid, stupid plot twist).

I would so watch this!  And I want to see Manfredi's Mom (or whoever that was in the kitchen with him) to go with them and blister Whitney with criticism all in Italian.

I would watch the hell out of the hypercritical italian mother vs. epic force of evil show all day. For reasons.

• Love 5

The Peggy/Jarvis fight was brutal, but so beautifully acted and written. Hayley and James are more than worthy of acting noms for their work in this weeks particular episodes, and really the season on the whole.

As a huge peggysous shipper, I loved their confrontation as they were leaving to go stop Whitney with the gamma gun. I just wanted them to start furiously making out.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, not just about Anna, but about all the women we've seen on the show. There is an inherent likable-ness or at least fascination with all of them. Peggy, Rose, Angie, Dottie, Whitney, Anna.... they are fully formed and fascinating and yet all different at the same time. This is how you develop characters.

I think this applies to all of the men too. Even Dark Red and Manfredi, I love to hate them.

On many shows, there are characters that I straight up hate. But on this show, its either 'love' or 'love to hate'.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 5

Those shoes from the musical number are also available here for slightly less:

http://www.royalvintageshoes.com/chelsea-crew-gatsby-1920s-shoes-tstraps-red-white

And this place even has shoes listed by decade <3

I agree with the assessment that Thompson is trying to protect his country. If he was simply a power-hungry little weasel, he didn't have to risk his own neck at all. He didn't have to insist on coming out to the desert with them to chase after these incredibly dangerous people armed with nuclear material (not to mention guns and goons). Or volunteer to talk to Whitney.

Not that Thompson is some kind of pure-of-heart hero. He's not. He is underhanded and calculating. But man, sometimes I get tired of watching the "good guys" do things stupidly because they have to be completely forthright because they're the "good guys". Sneaky characters can be fun!

For a second I was confused why Thompson didn't let Peggy and Souza in on his plan to blow that gamma canon, because it struck me as the most sensible thing to do under the circumstances - the thing that would create the least danger to the general populace. But then I realise of course they would disapprove and insist on doing things the hard way because Thompson's way is too ruthless and not righteous enough for the "good guys".

If I were Thompson I would just press that button ASAP before Peggy has a chance to react.

Though from a story-telling perspective, there's no way Thompson's plan can actually work. It would be too anti-climatic. There has to be a big final showdown in the last episode. I would guess the gamma canon already got sucked away by the Zero Matter (Does it work that way? Hell if I know!)

• Love 1
For a second I was confused why Thompson didn't let Peggy and Souza in on his plan to blow that gamma canon, because it struck me as the most sensible thing to do under the circumstances - the thing that would create the least danger to the general populace. But then I realise of course they would disapprove and insist on doing things the hard way because Thompson's way is too ruthless and not righteous enough for the "good guys".

That conversation before they went out to the desert completely explained why Thompson didn't tell them. Sousa chides Peggy for letting her personal feelings for Wilkes interferes with them doing their jobs. Then Peggy counters that Sousa is just the same and points out that he wouldn't let Wilkes shoot her. Thompson pops in the door and says he would have let Wilkes shoot them both (he actually wouldn't) and let's go. Peggy would never agree to kill Wilkes and Sousa wouldn't want to blow people up either (despite the very clear and present danger they are posing). Thompson is Being pragmatic.

If I were Thompson I would just press that button ASAP before Peggy has a chance to react.

Thompson did try pressing the button, but it didn't work because of the jammer. I think he will press the button now because he's pretty sure she won't actually shoot him. I suspect he's also a little self-destructive (he clearly self-loathes and I think his college friend's pointing out about the bar-fights where he got injured shows a streak of self-destructiveness. Going to meet Whitney to deliver bad news was also risky), so he would probably accept being shot as something he deserves.  I just don't think the device will work because Wilkes will absorb all of its gamma ray goodness since he is uber-zero-matter right now.

• Love 2

Who is this Ken Mariano that people keep gushing about? I gather he is the one that plays Whitney's thug, but is the actor well-known from another show? I've never seen him before.

Ken Marino usually does comedy work. He's one of those 'hey, its that guy' guys. A few years ago he had a hilarious Bachelor-spoof show on E! and more recently a short lived sitcom opposite Casey Wilson. I thought the two of them were great, but the show overall was terrible.

He's also one of the founding members of "The State" sketch comedy troupe that had their own show on MTV in the 90s and also included David Wain, Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black(Wet Hot American Summer), Thomas Lennon and Kerri Kenney-Silver(Reno 911!), and Joe Lo Truglio(Brooklyn Nine Nine).

The fight between Peggy and Jarvis was so heartbreaking. Both Hayley Atwell and James D'Arcy were amazing.

I admit I'm starting to like Thompson. His crack about saying he wished Wilkes shot both Peggy and Sousa and his double and triple crossing was great.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I think the Church of England abolished the role of godparents long ago, and I think it is mostly only Catholics who have godparents?

No-- but I base this on viewing Coronation Street where not only are there godparents but there are two godmothers and a godfather for girls and two godfathers and a godmother for boys. 

Most of the Protestant denominations have godparents if they practise infant baptism. I don't know about adult baptisms.

there are two godmothers and a godfather for girls and two godfathers and a godmother for boys. 

As far as In know this is still the case.  The god-parents are supposed to help with the religious education of the child.  This role ends when the child is confirmed.

• Love 1

If the dance number was intended to be Peggy's subconscious working through her relationship issues it's no surprise Wilkes and Sousa were there since they were the main contenders (the lack of Steve was glaring, even though they obviously couldn't afford Evans for a cameo) but the shippers must be having a field day with the fact that Angie and Dottie both featured so prominently.

I think her subconscious was working out a lot, including her love life, but not only that -- after all, Rose and Jarvis were there, as well as Michael (in the non-musical, black-and-white portion of the psychic floor show).

The worst (only?) bad thing about Vernon being killed is that he didn't get to call anyone a dumbass before his demise (although I did enjoy him pointing out to Whitney that they got her too).

Oh, I think the look Vernon shot Manfredi after Manfredi admitted he only liked the "fire" part of fireworks communicated "Dumbass!" pretty vividly, really.

I loved the musical dream sequence. It was brilliantly done, exactly right for the period, and oddly in character for Peggy, whose no-nonsense waking manner, I think, disguises a crashingly romantic streak. I didn't find the sequence jarring so much as much-needed lightening of the tone -- especially given the heartbreak of Carter's later fight with Jarvis. My chest is still sore from that one. 

Jarvis making all sorts of promises to a comatose Ana was so painful and real. Anyone who has had a sick/dying/missing/in danger relative understands the bargains you are willing to make at that point, whether it's with yourself, a higher power, etc.

That sequence was beautifully done -- I admit I teared up.

Thompson finally got interesting. We had some glimpses here or there before this week's episodes but tonight he showed how astute he can be, assessing everyone, analyzing what was going on, coming up with plans, and playing everyone.

I like that Thompson wised up about Vernon, but didn't convert instantly to being one of the good guys. He's still looking out for himself, but still enough of a pragmatist that he thinks Sousa and Carter are being naive about Whitney and Vernon. Of course, the unexpected bonus was the "Do what Peggy says!" Love!

For whatever it's worth, I don't think Sousa feels inferior to Peggy -- and I'm not certain she's a better agent than he is, across the board; he may not have her daring, or her ferocious (and necessarily hard-won) independence, but he seems a little less idealistic than she, a little more of a realist; I think being West Coast Bureau Chief has actually boosted Sousa's confidence; and I'm sure he no longer underestimates her.

Up 'til now, I've thought that Gjokaj was just ridiculously charismatic, but he sings and dances, too?!

ETA: Until it was mentioned in the thread, I hadn't even considered the possibility that the "M. Carter" in the redacted file could be Michael; now it seems worryingly plausible.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6

As far as In know this is still the case.  The god-parents are supposed to help with the religious education of the child.  This role ends when the child is confirmed.

Raised Pentecoastal. My godparents weren't religious at all, but our next-door neighbors, who were family friends. Godparents aren't really declared at a ceremony; it's just a nice thought.

The kid's godparents had to swear to some fairly specific things at her (Catholic) baptism. I think the idea of it has become more popular in a secular context, which is great, but in a religious context it's a significant position, not just a nice thought, and it very much is declared at a ceremony.

I think the Church of England abolished the role of godparents long ago, and I think it is mostly only Catholics who have godparents?

No-- but I base this on viewing Coronation Street where not only are there godparents but there are two godmothers and a godfather for girls and two godfathers and a godmother for boys. 

Most of the Protestant denominations have godparents if they practise infant baptism. I don't know about adult baptisms.

Raised Pentecoastal. My godparents weren't religious at all, but our next-door neighbors, who were family friends. Godparents aren't really declared at a ceremony; it's just a nice thought.

The baby dedication ceremonies of only believer's baptism  churches. If the parents want to bring up friends to name as the Godparents the pastor would normally allow it. He may even go into a teaching about their responsibilities but I don't think most non liturgical churches have a set order and rules which must be followed like being a member of their specific sect or even broad movement, like has to be some sort of Pentecostal or some sort of Adventist, Baptist, he will just try to get a statement of being  a Bible believer....

My whole extended family is Catholic. Born and raised in Germany. My godmother was the one to hold me during baptism. She also had the job of raising me had something happened to my parents. So, she is kind of a guardian? Is that the word?

She wasn't married at the time, so this could have become difficult, since she is also godmother to my sister but not to my brother and I think to at least one other cousin of mine. If all taken seriously, my brother would have been raised by his godfather, a brother of my father's and my sister and I by her, my father's sister.

• Love 2

I don't think there is any civil obligation on the part of godparents. They are there for religious and moral upbringing. DD's godfather also promised to teach her how to play pool and the nose flute, but he reneged.

At one time, a century or more ago, there may have been societal expectations on godparents if a child was orphaned. I'd have to re-read all of Dickens and much of Louisa May Alcott to be sure and I am busy bingewatching this show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which looks to be pretty good. Anyone else heard of it?

• Love 2

Just had a chance to watch these and haven't read all comments yet, but this isn't TVWoP, so I won't get a warning for admitting it. Neener neener neener.

I don't even know how to being processing everything.

Peggy kicking Red Foremans' ass? Wonderful

Rage-Jarvis? Scary

Reason-you-suck speech from Peggy to Jarvis? Heartbreaking but necessary

Same speech from Jarvis to Peggy? See above

Having no clue what the hell Thompson is up to but being amusing by it? Headspinning

Whitney Frost? Terrifying

Jason Wilkes? Same

The mobster having genuine respect and admiration for Whitney? Oddly heartwarming. Whitney should have never dumped him for Cal

The Song-and-Dance number? Surreal, funny and a reason why Peggy should *never* try LSD

Will post more later once I have more thoughts sorted out

Ditto and ditto.

And hah! So right about the LSD.

So if they are making Souza Peggy's actual boyfriend then one of them needs to leave the SSR, right?  They can't work in the same office, especially if he stays the boss.

Hah! This is the 40s cambridgeguy, when corporate secretaries hoped to marry the boss, and coeds hoped to marry the Cambridge prof.

I want Ana to be nanny to Peggy's offspring with whomever she chooses.

A friend of mine was explaining 'Godparents' to her young daughter. The Godparents in question were her aunt and uncle. "So, if Mommy and Daddy died, you would go live with your aunt and uncle and cousins." Well, the kid thought that sounded pretty cool - Yeah! Living and playing with her cousins - that would be fun! So the mom asked, "But - you wouldn't want Mommy and Daddy to die just so you you could live with your cousins, would you?" The  girl considered for a moment and said, "Well ... I wouldn't want Daddy to die..."

My young teen daughter watches this with me. She fell in love with Peggy & her strong, winning ways last season. This season she has bemoaned the more heavily played sections about Peggy's love life. She has stated, in quite articulate terms, why Peggy does not need a love interest in this series. She thinks Peggy is an interesting enough character & has enough going on that a man is superfluous to the story line. When they started the dream sequence she was initially thrilled, but when it focused in on the love triangle she was so frustrated. She gave me a list of relationships Peggy has on the show she finds more compelling then either of her possible boyfriends. She explained to me in great detail (as only a teen truly can) how awesome it was that the villian this season was another skillful, intelligent woman & how much she loved that. One of her biggest praises of this show is that the women are smart, capable & kick butt yet still look like real women wearing nice clothes. (As opposed to comic book sexed up gear or loose, boy-like clothing.) She still enjoys the show but felt let down after these episodes. I found myself agreeing with her. In thinking about it, I enjoy Peggy's scenes with Jarvis, Mrs. Jarvis, Rose, Stark, Whitney, Jack, even Vernon more than I do romantic moments with Wilkes &/or Sousa. Ugh.

• Love 10

Just had a chance to watch these and haven't read all comments yet, but this isn't TVWoP, so I won't get a warning for admitting it. Neener neener neener.

Hah! This is the 40s cambridgeguy, when corporate secretaries hoped to marry the boss, and coeds hoped to marry the Cambridge prof.

I want Ana to be nanny to Peggy's offspring with whomever she chooses.

Ahem,....shapeshifter, you think you won't be getting a warning??  For being a nuisance, and a miscreant..

click here...