Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Eternal Sunshine Of The Caffeinated Mind

Now was a good time for Blaine's zombieism to come back, huh? I kind of look forward to his revenge on Mr. Boss. And I was ridiculously happy to learn that Drake is on the side of angels.  i fear that means he's doomed, though.

Interesting choice to let the daughter get away with it.

I forgot all about the Max Rager subplot!  It was good to see Rita/Gilda/whatever genuinely afraid of Liv, however, rather than her usual smugness.

• Love 7

That was great.  I had to laugh out loud when the ac unit fell on Leslie - the timing was perfect, just as she smiled at the artwork.  I have to admit, I immediately thought that the sidewalk art was there to make sure she was in the right spot at the right time, although I didn't know who the artist was until the end.  I loved Pam and her raps, the corny sayings ("Love is the bridge between you and everything").  Obviously, I like the humor, but I also like David Anders and Mr. Boss, although I'm not really interested in them, even with Enrico C.  I'm glad vampire Blaine is back. 

Ok, what did I miss there? Was Blaine scratched or something?

I've been thinking that humans are the natural reserve species for the zombie virus. It would explain why it behaves so weirdly in rats. It would also explain why "the cure" is temporary. It just suppresses the virus.

• Love 4

I let out a little happy whoop when I saw the arresting officer of Drake's! Enrico C. can show up on any show I watch; he's Victor Garber fun.  It was neat to see how deep poor Drake is now. Dang. I do like that he truly seems to care for Liv. That might make for an actually interesting heart tug-of-war. Neither Major or Drake are snowy clean, but both are essentially good.

As soon as the barista gal was obviously not into Star Wars, I knew Ravi was out. I would think that even if you're not into the franchise, you have heard about the coolest spaceship. *sigh* Ravi? I have a shoulder for you, hon. Actually, two. My husband wouldn't mind too much. *g*

Ooooh, Mr. Boss is gonna be sorry. Blaine may end up sorry too, but he seems to not mind Pyrrhic victories, at least the Pyrrhic victories that he feels are necessary.

Ooooooh! GildaRita? Girl, you in trouble. No, srsly. Liv hasn't found out every everything; when she does, you should be on a different continent or star system. Liv Moore is a doctor. They know how to eff you up just right. Leave your scum dad to fend for himself. Forge whatever paper you need and run.

I hope this means that the Big Picture arc is going to really start coming together. Unfortunately, we have to wait until March 22nd?!!? *sigh*  ::wishes for Zombie High dvds::

• Love 9

I thought it was going to be just another episode, but YAY, things happened! Drake is actually a good guy! (do the other cops know he's a zombie?) Blaine has been re-zombified! Major finally found out Gilda is Liv's roommate! Liv finally found out Gilda is Rita! & punched her out! Things are finally starting to gel, & the preview! Since I can't remember if a preview is a spoiler or not, I'll put it in a spoiler tag in case 

Liv has a new look with regular hair!

• Love 3

Yay Drake is a good guy! I hope that doesn't mean he's a dead zombie. I really like him.

I was hoping that an AC unit dropped on the daughter on her way to the cab. What a bitch.

More Rita punching, please. And poor Ravi can't catch a break in the love department. I hope Blaine goes zombie on the Boss and his henchmen. I still don't forgive him for killing Lowell but he has his moments.

So my beefcake Drake is a *TRIPLE*agent? He's undercover for the feds to get Boss, and he's also in with Blaine's group, though I forget which side he's spying for there. Glad his shadiness is for good reason though, as I really like him. So of course, he's going to die soon, or there's going to be some horrible zombie love triangle if/when Major reverts. It's the CW; of course he's going to revert so there can be major angst over which Z gets to be Liv's boyfriend.

Otherwise, the eternal perkiness coffee shop was really annoying. Glad it was only for an episode. Also, thank-you show for Blaine in his boxer shorts, and that one crotch close-up.

• Love 1

The case of the week had a really unsatisfying conclusion. Like I expected Cher's cab to be hit by a bus or something.

Pam was the best, I loved her subversive rhymes.

Yay for Liv finally finding out about GildaRita though. And yay for Drake being a good guy! I like him, I want Liv to keep him. And yay for Enrico Colantoni. Keith Mars moved to Seattle and joined the PD!

March 22? Sobs.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 3

Totally knew it was the daughter, because is freaking Kacey Rohl a.k.a. Abigail Hobbs from Hannibal.  This isn't new territory for her at all.  What did surprise me is that she got away with it.  I wonder if she is being set up to return in a future episode.  Or it just was simply a case where the true mastermind gets away, and she will truly live out her days in France (no doubt hanging with a equally sinister character played by Mads Mikkelson.)

So much craziness going on with Drake!  He's actually an undercover cop!  And his handler is Enrico Colantoni!  Enrico makes everything better!  I hope him not being happy about Drake dating Liv means he will be showing up again.

I read somewhere that Blaine bitching about the taste of the wines was probably hinting that he was turning again, but I missed that bit.  Still, when he got his throat slit, I figured he would come back as Zombie Blaine.  I so would not want to be Boss and the rest of the gang, once Blaine gets his shit together (and I guess finds some clothes, unless he is planning on getting his revenge in his boxers.)

I certainly understand that people have different tastes about pop culture and entertainment, but Ravi's face when he finds out his crush never even seen Star Wars, was the best.

Liv finally finds out that Glida is Rita, and socks her in the jaw.  But I'm guessing she still doesn't know about her involvement with Max Rager and Vaughn Du Clarke, so I can only imagine what she'll think when she gets the full story.

• Love 6

I guessed Blaine was re-zombified by sexual transmission.

I was glad Major decided to finally come clean with Liv about his zombie freezing program, and glad that the Rita/Gilda situation is now out in the open. But I was annoyed by the show putting off the conversation where Liv and Major finally talk.

I am really bothered by them doubling down on the mocking of BLM, and it's seriously making me question continuing to watch the show, even though I otherwise like it.

Less outraging than the insulting attitude towards BLM, but still somewhat bothering me, I also notice that they heavily favor the male characters, and I wish they'd get more gender balance.

• Love 1

Did we know that Candy was a zombie prior to this episode? Does Blaine know about the risks of having sex with a zombie, or did he think that the vaccine meant he didn't have to worry about it? Is Candy the replacement for Blaine's previous zombie hooker, or are they a couple?

$350k seems like a pretty low price for the supposed best coffee shop in Seattle 3 years running.

Seems pretty coldblooded to off one's mom in order to go hang out in Paris for a while, but whatevs.

It's rare that a procedural lets an actual murderer off the hook.

I wish there was more for Enrico C to do, but I guess he made the most of what he had. I didn't catch any specific V Mars references but maybe they slipped by.

• Love 1

So, was that the first time anyone in Boss' entourage has slaughtered anyone? Because I think the lack of arterial blood coming out when they severed Blaine's carotid arteries should have told them something was up.

COTW was kind of dumb. As soon as the daughter told her mom to go outside and stand under the falling air conditioner it was pretty clear who the murderer was. And there was absolutely no excuse for bringing back offensive racial stereotype lady to embody more offensive racial stereotypes. I'm sure the woman who plays her is talented and they want to work with her, but the character is painfully unfunny.

I enjoyed watching Gilda on the receiving end of a suckerpunch for once.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Keith Mars! Yay! I wouldn't mind some more VM cameos (Dick Casablancas was hilarious last season and Kristin Bell's as the audio book narrator was priceless when she mentioned the cockpit).

Poor Drake. Maybe he and Major can hang out and discuss ways to pretend to kill someone.

LOVE that the Rita/Major/Liv revelation finally happened and that Liv punched her. I really want to know what Rita was going to say if Liv hadn't told her to get out. Was she afraid because she never expected to get caught? Or was she afraid that Liv would go full on zombie? PLEASE have Major finish his confession to Liv in the next episode. It's time, damn it!

I was surprised that the show let Cher get away with her crime. I totally loved that when Clive called about Gilbert's alibi, his mom totally smashed his entire story. I suspected Cher would be involved as soon as she told Leslie to go look at what was on the sidewalk, even before I knew she was her daughter.

I'm guessing that Blaine was rezombified because he was killed again and that reactivated the zombie virus? But I, too, thought that his complaints about the wine meant that things were already going kerflooey for him. So dying reactivates the zombie virus which prevents someone like Blaine or Major from permanently dying? Please explain it to me, Ravi!

And poor Ravi. The look on his face when Darcy said she had never seen Star Wars!

Of course Mr. Boss played Dungeons and Dragons. I hope he doesn't find out about Drake's triple agent status.

Clive looked so happy when he took his first sip of coffee at Oscar's angry coffee place. He really needs to take Dale there, especially since he used the last coffee pod a few episodes ago, forcing her to drink tea (dead plants in hot water).

Did we know that Candy was a zombie prior to this episode?[.quote]

I can't remember. I do remember that last week, Blaine let Chief and Candy torture Angus and for some reason that made me think they were both zombies. But I must have been mistaken because when Don E. found her eating brains at the end of the episode, she had a new white streak in her hair, which means Blaine must have somehow zombified her?

Haha, I was totally cracking up that the Positivity Coffee place was so similar to Cafe Gratitude. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Cafe Gratitude is a hippie vegan restaurant that started in San Francisco. They have a question of the day posted at the front where you order, which they ask you and expect you to answer. The owners met at a Landmark Forum seminar and "highly encouraged" their employees (including all the wait staff) to attend Landmark seminars which cost $500 (although the owners "generously" offered to pay for half the cost). The ones who didn't were peer pressured until they gave in. The few who didn't were fired. Anyone who wanted to become a manager was required to attend these seminars. Managers were each asked to enroll ten more people in Landmark seminars. You can read more about it here A few years ago, some of the employees filed a lawsuit because Cafe Gratitude was forcing servers to tip out 60% of their tips (as opposed to the standard 20%). The owners claimed that they would have to close all of their locations in northern California because the lawsuits were costing them too much (which is apparently untrue since they kept the Berkeley location open for several more years). Then they filed an LLC to open a restaurant in LA.

That "be the change" quote that's attributed to Gandhi is questionable. The closest verifiable quote from Gandhi is actually:

If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. ... We need not wait to see what others do.
Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

I'm just glad they didn't have Blaine kill and eat any of the girl scouts/picnic-ers), he was just after the blanket. The minute I saw him dig out, I was waiting for him to snap a neck and dig in.

I guess there are limits to his evil.

• Love 4

I hope this means that the Big Picture arc is going to really start coming together. Unfortunately, we have to wait until March 22nd?!!? *sigh*  ::wishes for Zombie High dvds::

Rob Thomas, you are wonderful.  You and Enrico Colantoni are a match made in heaven.

When iZombie comes out on DVD, there better be some episodes of Zombie High as extras.  (At least one, please!)

• Love 4

I wonder if she is being set up to return in a future episode.  Or it just was simply a case where the true mastermind gets away, and she will truly live out her days in France (no doubt hanging with a equally sinister character played by Mads Mikkelson.)

I would be over the moon if someone wrote a script that involved Cher returning with someone played by Mads Mikkelson! 

It was in Buckley's tone when he said it.

Major is finally getting some payback!  The good times don't keep rolling for our former football superstar, but I'm glad he got to start working on dismantling the wall of secrets between he and Liv. ICAM with the poster who said that they hoped Major will finish coming clean next episode! Time's a-wasting and with Icky!Full-on!Zombie Rat showing how little there is for Major and Blaine.( Well, if Ravi gives them "The Cure".)

I also forgot to say that I was amused and delighted by Blaine's Procol Harum cover. If that was David Anders' actual singing, then he should sing more often. Maybe not on this show, but goodness. Nice voice.

Mr. Boss is one of *those* Dungeon Masters... I now have an idea of the true depravities he will be able to achieve.

Yup. I bet he's also a rules lawyer, Agent Dark.

• Love 2

I really want to know what Rita was going to say if Liv hadn't told her to get out. Was she afraid because she never expected to get caught? Or was she afraid that Liv would go full on zombie?

Rita got really lucky in regards to whose brain Liv was on when she found out.

If Boss had spent more time watching movies and TV instead of playing D&D he'd have known that if you want to get rid of a body the right way, you need some concrete. It's practically a cliche for people to come back from what they did with Blaine.

• Love 2

I know they want to keep the tension going for a few more weeks, but Major telling Liv, I have something to tell you that's as big a deal as you being a zombie and her blowing him off was frustrating. Although a lot of faults in this episode were forgiven by me by Blaine's boxer short performance. That wasn't even something I knew I wanted, but it definitely awoke something.

• Love 2

I know they want to keep the tension going for a few more weeks, but Major telling Liv, I have something to tell you that's as big a deal as you being a zombie and her blowing him off was frustrating

I think she was distracted by her worry that Drake was going to arrive at any second. 

• Love 4

$350k seems like a pretty low price for the supposed best coffee shop in Seattle 3 years running.

Oscar (Stan?) said that was the earnest money, in which case it seems high, not that I've ever bought a business.

Unless those children were really deep into the woods, I think Mr. Boss needs to pick better grave sites. And I'm kind of surprised he was there in person.

I didn't like Liv punching Gildarita, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Before we knew Drake was undercover, I guess he was just trying to fit in with the lowlifes when he commented on one of the other guys interacting with a "plus-sized bartender" like it was a bad thing. And the guy's response was to get defensive: "I was just fending her off!" It just seemed unnecessary to me, but it did make me dislike Drake at the time, if that was the goal.

Unless those children were really deep into the woods, I think Mr. Boss needs to pick better grave sites. And I'm kind of surprised he was there in person.

Mr. Boss wanted to be sure the job got done, not trusting that his men wouldn't cut a deal with Blaine, and compromised on the site rather than be too inconvenienced.

• Love 3

I guessed Blaine was re-zombified by sexual transmission.

No the cure Liv injected him with at the end of season 1 wore off. Just like it did with A New Hope (the cured zombie rat). So when the wine tasted off to Blaine that was the first sign that the virus was out of remission. When he slept with the Genie (the make-up woman) the virus was obviously back in his sperm. And while he was dead from having his throat slit the virus completed it's reanimation of him, as it also infected and reanimated Genie. Both turning 'A Whiter Shade of Pale.'

So the odds are Major will turn again in the next episode as Liv administered the cure to him the day after she injected Blaine. But this puts Blaine and Major (and possibly Genie) in a worse position than other zombies as A New Hope died shortly after returning to her zombie form. So Blaine and Major have theoretically a year to live. And as this show is so playful with names and phrases (like Blaine singing it, then doing it in this episode) it can be guessed that Major for one won't live out the season because on Zombie High "a major character dies every year." Hell even one of A New Hope's clones has now been turned into a violent attacking zombie rat, ie Attack of the Clones.

Edited by AllyB
  • Love 7

Haha, I was totally cracking up that the Positivity Coffee place was so similar to Cafe Gratitude. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Cafe Gratitude is a hippie vegan restaurant that started in San Francisco. They have a question of the day posted at the front where you order, which they ask you and expect you to answer. The owners met at a Landmark Forum seminar and "highly encouraged" their employees (including all the wait staff) to attend Landmark seminars which cost $500 (although the owners "generously" offered to pay for half the cost). The ones who didn't were peer pressured until they gave in. The few who didn't were fired. Anyone who wanted to become a manager was required to attend these seminars. Managers were each asked to enroll ten more people in Landmark seminars. You can read more about it here A few years ago, some of the employees filed a lawsuit because Cafe Gratitude was forcing servers to tip out 60% of their tips (as opposed to the standard 20%). The owners claimed that they would have to close all of their locations in northern California because the lawsuits were costing them too much (which is apparently untrue since they kept the Berkeley location open for several more years). Then they filed an LLC to open a restaurant in LA.

Was that some sort of post EST thing? I think I read about it on a The Americans thread last year.

Was that some sort of post EST thing? I think I read about it on a The Americans thread last year.

Yes, Landmark was founded by some EST trainers. They paid the EST guy so they could use his material. The EST guy then retired and the new group continued doing similar seminars witha lot of the same staff.
  • Love 2

I really liked this.  I should have known Kacey Rohl would get away with it, but I didn't.

I was just about ready to slow-clap as Blaine crawled out of the soil.  When he couldn't taste the wine I knew he was starting to turn back, but then they through in 'White Shade of Pale' and I grinned.  Then the hint from Boss the despotic dungeon master, and then Candy suddenly zombified.  And of course Major wanting to tell Liv the truth in case he dies tomorrow...  Well played, writers.  Well played.

I'm so glad Drake is a good guy just trying to blend in with the bad guys.  And what a horrible spot for him.  I hope he survives and doesn't follow Lowell.

The CG rat was creepy.  That must have been Revenge of the Sith rat.

I am disappointed we're back on hiatus, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

I really liked Blaine singing. I knew that David Anders is very musical but this is the first time I heard his singing voice.

Was this the first time a case of the week got away with murder on this show? I started laughing when she drove off into the sunset and that cheeky French pop tune was playing.  The music on this show is great.

• Love 2

I love Lighter Shade of Pale, so that just helps me continue my enjoyment of Blaine. The guy is a terrible person, but so very interesting to watch. 

Really good episode, so disappointed to hear about another damn break! Why do they keep doing this? Why? 

I knew it was the daughter the second I realized she was Abigail Hobbs. She does have an impressive ability to go from cute to bugfuck in a flash. I hope she comes back at some point, just so she can finally gets whats coming to her. When her boyfriend started talking, I was like "that does not sound like a real French accent", and low and behold, it wasn't! 

Poor Ravi. No woman who has never seen Star Wars is made for you. Maybe the next time. Positive Liv is right, girls would be lucky to have you! 

As soon as the zippy French song started, I half expected to see Megan Draper show up and start dancing around the coffee house. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

So my beefcake Drake is a *TRIPLE*agent?

Well he's a double agent but Blaine scratched him so now he's also Team Z. Yeah, he has a confusing life.

I LOVED this episode (apart from the dropped plot of what happened to Blaine's Dad) so am extremely annoyed about the break. If I were involved in this show I would be pissed at this scheduling. This is the kind of shit that leads to people not watching anymore because they get tired of it not being on.

• Love 2

I really liked Blaine singing. I knew that David Anders is very musical but this is the first time I heard his singing voice.

Blaine's little musical interludes (in his underwear yet!) just make this show for me.

But now we have to wait till March 22????  Aw, man......

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 1

Well, it really seems to me that playing with Boss killing Blaine but getting out with a convenient re-zombification is kind of convenient writing. 

Drake the triple agent unknown to the attorney spearheading the Boss investigation who's also Liv's best friend and therefore unable to reassure Liv is a different kind of convenience, fake obstacles to LUV. There are lots of wonderful things about iZombie but the continuing story line isn't one of them. It's flabby, warped, self indulgent, irrelevant and lakes any significant choices for its main characters. Or even simple differences in their perspectives. 

Abigail Hobbs walking on a murder of course is to be expected. But the fact that Our Heroes don't much care is really disappointing. The show just hast to remember it lives or dies by the cases of the week. They have to matter, if only to the guest stars, because the main characters are just in holding patterns.

Well he's a double agent but Blaine scratched him so now he's also Team Z. Yeah, he has a confusing life.

My quick google search says that the definition of a triple agent is "a spy who works for three opposing sides, such that each side thinks the spy works for them alone." He's 1) an undercover cop 2) working for Boss and 3) has work/relations/connections with Blaine. And technically, it was Liv who scratched Drake at Blaine's suggestion since Blaine was a reformed human at the time.

Well, it really seems to me that playing with Boss killing Blaine but getting out with a convenient re-zombification is kind of convenient writing.

I personally liked it.  It brought together two plot threads that were due, and the episode as a whole nudged everything forward.  I agree they have a lot of plots to juggle, and I hope nothing will be permanently dropped.  It feels at times like we have two seasons worth of mytharc going at once.  At the same time, I'm enjoying myself.

As for Blaine's father, I'm thinking he went back in the freezer.

A bit behind in my viewing this week, so late to chime in. That said:

A little disappointed in the storyline this week, as I saw so much of this episode's reveals coming (admittedly only during the course of the first 20 minutes):

1) Gilbert not French and part of the murder. Check.

2) Drake working for the cops. Check (full disclosure: thought he'd be a CI, not an actual cop.)

3) Blaine's zombie return would come just at the right dramatic moment. Check.

On the other hand, the last 5-10 minutes were, indeed, a big surprise to me. Which is awesome, and is more in line with my enjoyment of the show.

1) Rita/Gilda: Exposed! And Liv beat the crap out of her. Awesome! Hope it leads to a tete-a-tete with Major that was coming up until that point. (And I absolutely love how Major called her out as his exit line.)

2) The real murderer got away scott free!?!? Damn. But surely this can't be the end of her story?

3) Blaine... didn't kill that girl scout troop when he rezzed. Could he have become a bigger, better zombie?

4) David Anders singing "Whiter Shade of Pale". Wow. I never knew the guy had chops. I always loved him on Alias, and hate that they made his character such a horrible, irredeemable villain during the first season. Despite their attempts to soften him this season and despite Anders' incredible charisma, I just can't see any situation in which Blaine can be redeemed.

As a side note, I continue to be impressed with Robert Buckley and Major as a character. I thought he was terrible (or at least, terribly written) waaay back in the pilot, but he's had such a tremendous story arc since then and RB does such a great job with it.

So, yeah. I liked it.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 2

(Catches up on thread). 

Didn't catch the zombieism with Candy until it was pointed out here; for some reason, I also thought Candy was a zombie prior to this, but I think the suggestion that she was turned due to sexual transmission with Blaine is probably on point and was included here as a foreshadowing of her resurrection.

That being the case... what does this mean (if it means anything at all) for Rita? If almost-zombie Blaine was able to transmit his curse(?) to Candy, did Major and Rita's sex do the same to her? Or was he still too close to non-zombie for transmission?

• Love 1

What a good episode. I knew Blaine was turning back with the wine tasting. Also, I like Drake, but I'm not so sure that he is still on the side of angels. He told his handler that he didn't know who was moving in of Mr Boss' territory. That could be because of the zombie complication I guess, but I don't see why he wouldn't tell them unless he really is on Blaine's side. Oh! He needs brains... Now it makes sense.  I guess I just had to type all that out to connect the dots.

• Love 1