Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Heat Wave

I am definitely liking this Zooey free season. I don't mind Jess but to me the highlight of the show is the relationship between Schmidt and Nick. I also feel that Winston is finally coming into his own, something I attribute to the writers giving him something concrete to do. Making him a cop was brilliant. Loved his "cop voice" in Heat Wave.Megan Fox is doing a great job. Maybe playing the straight foil to all of them isn't that difficult but I appreciate her timing. Also think her looks make it completely believable that Nick would have a giant crush on her.

Also enjoying Cece's human frailty. No longer the perfect and unattainable model. Cece is becoming much more than Schmidt's love interest and Jess best friend. I tend to forget that this show is still on the air, but when I watch it I'm always impressed.

I loved Reagan asking if the chair was supposed to be wet and finally giving in and sitting down. I actually watched that part back a few times. Also the call back to the cranberry, Winston directing the ice cream truck and his "hey, Debra" in the mirror with the hat and ski jacket on.  

I do not like Nick and Reagan together because good lord, does Nick have to sleep with everyone? He's very cute and sweet but he is a certified mess. The loft mates and I are honestly surprised he's still alive and he just draws women in. Like a moth to the flame of a tire fire.

• Love 2

How many more episodes is Reagan going to be with the show?  Can't. Stand. Her. 

And if there's a heat wave, why was Reagan wearing a flannel shirt tied around her waist?  And ankle boots?  I don't live in LA, but I have been through many hot weather stretches in my day.  Even in my most vain fashionista days I don't think I ever added layers on days with 98 degree heat/90% humidity.

Winston continues to be my favorite. 

• Love 4

Best part of the episode was the end with Cece's audition. I never thought she brought much to the show in the early seasons but Hannah SImone is proving she can hold her own against the other leads. It also proves the show did not need a guest star replacement for Zoey. I don't mind Reagan, but at the same time, the show doesn't need her.

Nick must have had - what - at least 20 different fans set up. That was a 10,000 btu room air conditioner Reagan brought home. They could have positioned it in a central location and then used all those fans to circulate the air throughout the entire apartment. The fans alone probably would have made the apartment tolerable if they were all positioned correctly. I don't think people in LA really know what an actual heat wave is like. Certainly nothing they have there can compare to the sweltering summers we suffer through here in the midwest. I know they're supposed to be dummies but sheesh. No way Nick would be sweating laying in a kiddie pool filled with ice with 20 fans blowing on him.

• Love 3

I loved Cece's audition and agree that Hannah Simone can definitely carry more. She's great. As always, loved every thing Winston. Especially his "Hey Deborah". He's wonderful.

I hate the Nick and Regan storyline though. Hate it. I don't mind Meghan Fox but you mean to tell me they couldn't find anything else to do with her except a storyline that reminds me way too much of the Nick and Jess storyline. Ugh, I'm way more annoyed than I should be.

• Love 2

Agreed, I really hate the way they've basically done a lite version of Jess and Nick with the two of them. So unnecessary, especially when we know she's going to be gone in a couple weeks. Reagan didn't need to be a love interest to be interesting; it's just plain lazy and unimaginative.

• Love 3

Absolutely loved Winston this episode, he is winning the season so far. I cracked up when he pressed all the buttons in the elevator.

Also, why do they not have an AC? It's California, it gets hot

• Love 1

Agreed, I really hate the way they've basically done a lite version of Jess and Nick with the two of them. So unnecessary, especially when we know she's going to be gone in a couple weeks. Reagan didn't need to be a love interest to be interesting; it's just plain lazy and unimaginative.

This is exactly what I wanted to say but you said it much better than I did :)

• Love 1

I've been trying hard to give Megan Fox a chance. I didn't mind her in the episode where she was struggling to break up with her girlfriend. But I couldn't finish this episode. She doesn't have any acting range, and I hate the idea of her and Nick together. I hope she's off the show soon because I know I'm missing good Winston and Schmidt stuff. I'm okay with Jess being gone for a while (especially if it means she comes back with John Cho as a love interest), but they didn't need to bring in Reagan. 

Certainly nothing they have there can compare to the sweltering summers we suffer through here in the midwest. I know they're supposed to be dummies but sheesh. No way Nick would be sweating laying in a kiddie pool filled with ice with 20 fans blowing on him.

My apartment in Seattle would get up to 98 degrees in the summer because it was on the 'sunny' side of the building and downtown Seattle doesn't cool down due to all the cement.  I can believe the same thing for downtown Los Angeles. Since it was only for a few weeks of the year I would suffer rather than buy a personal AC unit, but I tried some of Nick's methods to cool down. I do agree, though, if the kiddie pool was filled with ice he wouldn't be sweating. 

I also had no problem buying the overwhelming heat in the building. A) They depicted it as so hot people were collapsing outside, so that's really bad. B) Isn't the loft a former school? A lot of older school buildings were not designed to have air conditioning. So if it weren't, and then were converted to apartments, and central AC was never added, that place could be an oven. SUCKS to be in that kind of building.

I've lived in 2nd floor apartments in a two family duplex (i.e. a house converted into two apartments, one upstairs and one on the ground floor) and it's been like an oven. I can easily imagine a high rise loft being unbearable. I'd have thought Schmidt would have a window air conditioner in his room, and even Winston ought to be able to afford one at this point. But the overheated apartment itself didn't seem surprising to me, and the "heat wave causes places to sell out of window units" also seemed pretty credible. I expected Nick's multi-fan contraption to blow the fuse, though. That actually happened to me during a heat wave. I turned on too many fans at once and tripped the breaker. In old buildings that haven't been recently updated (and we know the landlord doesn't like to do maintenance, from season 1 episodes) are notorious for this kind of problem.