Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Powerful scene with Fred Goldman. Don't know if it happened or not but to me it was powerful. Wish the prosecution would have fought back on the jury and said something about white jurors also being his peers. Seems they chickened out about a lot of issues and were over confident about them being able to win the case.

It was nice to see the cracks in the defense start as early as it did. Too many egos and Shapiro was in over his head.

Just wish I knew what was fact and what was fiction. Did Shapiro really offer a plea that early in and did he really believe OJ was guilty? There are so many questions about what was the truth and what wasn't with all the conversations with the defense.

Kardashian, Bailey and Cochran all ganging up to change lead counsel and then them going in and taking the files out of his office. Did all that happen? I'm asking because I can't remember. Did they all go to OJ and did he make the change? So many questions.

Edited by toodywoody
  • Love 3

I didn't know if I could enjoy this show any more, but I do. OJ and Robert Kardashian dancing at the club to CC Music Factory brings back so many memories. Watching David Schwimmer getting down cracked me the hell up.

Courtney B. Vance and Cuba Gooding, Jr. are gold together. The scene in the prison was so well acted. I also loved how Cuba played O.J.'s indecision over Shapiro

Those defense lawyers are some manipulative backstabbing sharks. Shapiro stiffing Bailey and Bailey getting back at him by going to Cochrane behind his back was hilarious. Shapiro getting shunted aside was a thing of beauty. I thought John Travolta was stellar again in this episode. 

Marcia Clark was in trouble from day one. She always has a terrible gut. I can't believe that the prosecutors were so naive. They had to see trouble coming. Sarah Paulson and the actor playing Darden have great chemistry. The reaction to Chris Darden was so well done The score continues to be outstanding.

Connie Britton was entertaining as Faye Resnick. I only vaguely remember those details around the trial.  

I was uncomfortable that they included the Goldmans. Their anger, suffering, and pain was bad enough in real life.

• Love 15

Wow.

This show is now bringing back really sickening memories for me.  I guess that's because they really nailed it in this episode, and it felt quite real.  Pretty much every scene was important and well done, and all of the actors brought it.  Every scene worked for me.  Every actor brought it tonight. 

I am SO VERY  HAPPY with the "Faye" portrayal and pillorying.  Well done and I hope all of the RHBH people talk about it next season, and that Faye finally feels a bit of remorse.

• Love 24

I cant stand Faye Resnick.

"My gut says trust them" that was sad to hear. That juror ran her ass down there like it was The Price is Right.

Courtney B. Vance continues to be awesome that look he gave Robert Shapiro when he suggested a deal.  I finally liked Travolta's acting when he got fired.

The Dream Team walking into the courtroom to gangster rap was interesting.

• Love 13

Powerful scene with Fred Goldman. Don't know if it happened or not but to me it was powerful. Wish the prosecution would have fought back on the jury and said something about white jurors also being his peers. Seems they chickened out about a lot of issues and were over confident about them being able to win the case.

It was nice to see the cracks in the defense start as early as it did. Too many egos and Shapiro was in over his head.

Just wish I knew what was fact and what was fiction. Did Shapiro really offer a plea that early in and did he really believe OJ was guilty? There are so many questions about what was the truth and what wasn't with all the conversations with the defense.

Kardashian, Bailey and Cochran all ganging up to change lead counsel and then them going in and taking the files out of his office. Did all that happen? I'm asking because I can't remember. Did they all go to OJ and did he make the change? So many questions.

The lawyer stuff is all in the Larry Schiller book. I remember the transfer to Cochran well. One thing not mentioned in the series is that Shapiro was first offered to OJ as a freebie paid by a syndicate television co. for rights to some pay per view thing later. The experts got money paid to them. All through the trial, Shapiro etc. sold autographed pics of themselves and their client to fund the case. A lot of interesting stuff in that book. "American Tragedy.". Better read than the New Yorker guy's book, imo.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

From what I've gathered, Shapiro wavered the most on OJ's guilt. It's been said that he even came up with a scenario where he believed OJ went to slash Nicole's tires, got caught by Nicole, an argument ensued, Ron Goldman interrupted it, and OJ killed them both in a fit of rage.

That honestly seems plausible.

He really did ask everyone if they thought OJ did it on the first meeting Johnnie was present at.

The Goldman scene completely and utterly broke my heart. They remain the voice of the common people in this circus, and their rage, and hurt, and grief...I still feel it today. It was etched in every crack of his voice. Every silent, unfallen tear in Kim's eyes.

Nathan Lane continues to be AMAZING. Seriously.

This is the episode that I finally appreciated Travolta's performance in spite of his makeup job.

And Connie Britton. *slow claps*

Sarah Paulson continues to own every single scene she's in. I'm so glad they kept the jury vetting in (cut down, but still). She completely misread who would be on their side. Huge blunder. But with so much evidence in their favor, I don't blame her for thinking everyone would see it that way.

• Love 23

I didn't follow what Ito's wife's issue was with the list of officers she signed off on or even what that list was for, can anyone explain?

When OJ made his grandstanding not guilty plea, I hated the music the show picked to underscore it. Two people are still dead. I felt it was insensitive.

• Love 3

Oh, and is it just me or is the actor playing Ito (auto, really autocorrect?) off putting?

I'm sure it's because actual Ito was off putting, but still. I get a visible stank face whenever he's on screen. Not even kidding. I'm making it now just thinking about his scenes.

I didn't follow what Ito's wife's issue was with the list of officers she signed off on or even what that list was for, can anyone explain?

When OJ made his grandstanding not guilty plea, I hated the music the show picked to underscore it. Two people are still dead. I felt it was insensitive.

Yes. She had worked with Fuhrman before. Fuhrman made disparaging comments about her previously, and it was discovered during the trial in the "Fuhrman Tapes."
  • Love 6

I thought tonight was a great episode. There were a lot of good scenes from tonight’s episode. Some that really stood out to me:

The scenes with Ron Goldman’s family and Marcia Clark were poignant.  I thought that drove home how his family was feeling at that time and how they were upset/disturbed at how it seemed like he was being forgotten/like a footnote in the whole case. There were two people that were murdered and Ron deserved justice as well.

I also thought that the scenes with the focus groups and scores were really interesting. It showed just how people viewed Marcia, Johnnie, OJ and even Nicole.  I think that people’s perceptions and feelings about these people definitely had a big impact on the trial and contributed to the outcome of it.

I liked the collective feeling of disbelief that all of the attorneys displayed when they found that “Faye tells all OJ/Nicole’s business and then some” Resnick wrote a book about OJ and Nicole.  And the way that everyone on the defense was looking at Shapiro when he was talking about how he wanted to OJ to take a plea and describe why he committed the crime…

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 5

Faye Resnick was a piece of shit. But I had to laugh at Kardashian's fact-checking: "Not true, not true...ok, that's true." Hee.

Also laughed at the opening scene of OJ sulking behind bars, since he still wound up back there when this whole circus was over.

The Goldmans broke my heart. Powerful scene.

The jury selection pissed me off. What a bunch of ignorant opportunists.

Travolta really does look like an Oompa Loompa.

• Love 13

I have not ever minded Faye Resnick on Real Housewives, because I never really focused on her OJ history, since it was decades ago, and judged her solely on what I saw on RH.

The ACS writers really are not portraying Resnick in a flattering light. But based on the allegations in the book (six abortions, Brentwood hello, lesbian sex). I don't know how you could have possibly portrayed her in a sympathetic light. Faye did the worst thing you could do to a friend by divulging/possibly making up those little tidbits. Just awful.

Edited by VanillaBeanne
  • Love 13

Mojoween, my take on the scene with Judge Ito's wife and the document: it was asking if the spouse of the judge had any conflict with any of the names listed. She stopped at Detective Mark Furman and hesitated while Judge Ito's back was turned. She probably was concerned that if SHE had a conflict of interest with Det. Furman in her professional life, her husband's big chance on the big stage might be lost. So she told her hubby she didn't recognize any names and signed the document.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 12

Watching Marcia Clark now, I feel like Bill Paxton in Titanic, yelling at the captain for ignoring the iceberg warnings. ]You had the jury data in your hands! Why did you not listen? Argh!

The show continues to knock it out of the park with casting. I heard Connie Britton for about two minutes before she disappeared into Faye Resnick. I can't get over what this show has done with these actors -- it's like they're completely embodying their roles. So fascinating.

Love the behind the scenes perspective on the defense team -- I'd forgotten about the reports of in-fighting, but it came back to me when they mentioned it. Courtney B. Vance is still terrific, but especially in the press conference scene, I think he's now capturing that charisma I've read other posters mention that the real Cochran had. So talented.

One funny/random thing: anybody else notice they started rolling the credits and then went to a black screen that said "Preliminary Hearing" and then went back to the credits, so it looked like Preliminary Hearing was a member of the cast. Heh...this show.

• Love 16

I don't know exactly why I'm watching this as it was so gut wrenching the first time around. I guess it's like watching the twin towers fall over and over again or the repeat showing of the Challenger disaster. I think, maybe this time they won't fall, maybe this time it won't blow up, maybe this time they will find him guilty. Magical thinking I guess.

• Love 23

Faye Resnick is a sack of shit.  I believe in second and third and eightieth chances, but I also think Faye's peddling of that book, and her insistence after the fact that she was sober during her writing of the book(s) (there was a second one years later) and book tours, are completely telling of her character, and that she has none.  I want to all-caps the none.  She is a fucking piece of shit and worse. 

Connie Britton told the truth with that vapid, smug, shady, loyalty-free performance.  I LOVED it.  Faye can be a frequent guest on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and try and form a facial expression and smug about what ladies do and don't do.  She is nothing but selfish garbage and Britton's performance told that cat-faced fucking monster about herself.  And I'm here for that.

ETA - umbelina, I don't think Faye will ever feel remorse.  She's been defending her story of 'Brentwood hellos' and 'giving a fuller idea of who Nicole was' and some people really loved that.  They remember her instantly-peddled salacious stories much more than the scores of police calls, documented beatings, the 911 call and other evidence of the hell and terror Nicole experienced for years at OJ's hands.

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 21

I have not ever minded Faye Resnick on Real Housewives, because I never really focused on her OJ history, since it was decades ago, and judged her solely on what I saw on RH.

The ACS writers really are not portraying Resnick in a flattering light. But based on the allegations in the book (six abortions, Brentwood hello, lesbian sex). I don't know how you could have possibly portrayed her in a sympathetic light. Faye did the worst thing you could do to a friend by divulging/possibly making up those little tidbits. Just awful.

I never understood why Faye felt the need to put that information out to the public. Even if it were true, I don't know why she would want the world to know the most sordid details of her so-called "best friend's" life. With friends like Faye, who needed enemies?

I think this was the show's strongest episode to date. Everyone continues to do such a great job of embodying their characters EXCEPT Cuba Gooding, Jr. The less he is shown, the better.

• Love 11

Buuuuudddddd!!!!!!*

Ahem.

My.GOD. The scene with Clark, Kim and Fred Goldman brought me to tears. Hearing Fred Goldman talk about Ron (in the follow up documentaries/post civil trial/after criminal verdict) always brings me to tears. But Siravo's Goldman? Gutted me. Just gutted me. The cracks in his voice, so eerily reminded me of the real Fred Goldman's voice. I have to say, that his casting is the BEST. Moreso than Vance's Cochran. Dammit, he even LOOKS like Fred Goldman. Kudos to make-up and wig people.

I admit, I rolled my eyes when Dershowitz didn't say shit when Shapiro asked if anyone thought OJ did it. I mean, before being asked to join the team, didn't his ass appear on Larry King and pretty much say that OJ was guilty?

Faye Resnick is a piece of shit.  And I'm saying this NOT having read any of her books; and nor do I intend to.

*Actor played JAG lawyer Bud Roberts on JAG, which aired the fall after Ron and Nicole's murders.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 10

I don't know exactly why I'm watching this as it was so gut wrenching the first time around. I guess it's like watching the twin towers fall over and over again or the repeat showing of the Challenger disaster. I think, maybe this time they won't fall, maybe this time it won't blow up, maybe this time they will find him guilty. Magical thinking I guess.

This episode did that to me too.  Until now, I was kind of OK with watching.  This brought it ALL back.  In a strange way, it was not only the best episode so far, but it also made me question whether or not I will, or should, keep watching it.

I never understood why Faye felt the need to put that information out to the public. Even if it were true, I don't know why she would want the world to know the most sordid details of her so-called "best friend's" life. With friends like Faye, who needed enemies?

I think this was the show's strongest episode to date. Everyone continues to do such a great job of embodying their characters EXCEPT Cuba Gooding, Jr. The less he is shown, the better.

For MONEY.  Period.  End of story. 

Faye Resnick is a sack of shit.  I believe in second and third and eightieth chances, but I also think Faye's peddling of that book, and her insistence after the fact that she was sober during her writing of the book(s) (there was a second one years later) and book tours, are completely telling of her character, and that she has none.  I want to all-caps the none.  She is a fucking piece of shit and worse. 

Connie Britton told the truth with that vapid, smug, shady, loyalty-free performance.  I LOVED it.  Faye can be a frequent guest on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and try and form a facial expression and smug about what ladies do and don't do.  She is nothing but selfish garbage and Britton's performance told that cat-faced fucking monster about herself.  And I'm here for that.

ETA - umbelina, I don't think Faye will ever feel remorse.  She's been defending her story of 'Brentwood hellos' and 'giving a fuller idea of who Nicole was' and some people really loved that.  They remember her instantly-peddled salacious stories much more than the scores of police calls, documented beatings, the 911 call and other evidence of the hell and terror Nicole experienced for years at OJ's hands.

I agree with every word of this. 

Maybe shame then?  On some level, shame.  At least her bestie Kyle Richards might finally feel some shame for championing Faye for so very long.

• Love 9

The Spouse Conflict form was Margaret York's first opportunity to disclose her nine-year decidedly unpleasant professional relationship with Mark Fuhrman. Lying on that form allowed her husband to accept the case assignment, which he was Very Much Invested in doing.

• Love 4

I know nothing about Faye Resnick—I've never watched RHBH, and somehow her books escaped my attention years ago. But if Connie's take on her is accurate—whoa. How does this woman hold her head up? What a piece of shit. (This show reaffirms my semi-rational bias against LA.) 

The Fred Goldman scene was truly devastating, and I agree with the poster who noted, in particular, the way Joseph Siravo's voice cracked. Incredible. 

Sterling K. Brown steals every scene. He is H-O-T. I don't remember finding Darden that compelling.

• Love 7

"THEN DON'T SAY IT ASSHOLE! FUCK!"

I laughed out loud at that!

Also Nathan Lane as F. Lee Bailey's line about "Settle like a pussy."

Connie Britton as Faye Resnick was hilarious.

My god, for a shrewd person, in some ways Marcia Clark was as naive as Marcia Brady.

Was Bill Hodgeman really this funny in real life? "I'm a white guy. I live in Los Angeles!"  I've seen the actor who plays him, Christian Clemenson since he was "Socrates Poole" on The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr. One of my favorite "Hey it's that guy!" actors.

The actor who played Fred Goldman was heartbreaking. This anecdote told by comedian Brian Posehn at 3:35 of this video isn't really a funny story but you have to hear it. I wouldn't know what to do if it happened to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCqbuZtiFg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

One funny/random thing: anybody else notice they started rolling the credits and then went to a black screen that said "Preliminary Hearing" and then went back to the credits, so it looked like Preliminary Hearing was a member of the cast. Heh...this show.

I saw the same thing! I thought "that's a weird name".

I'm so glad somebody else noticed it.

• Love 6

I wonder if Lance Ito is enjoying being made a fool of again?

Connie Britton was entertaining as Faye Resnick. I only vaguely remember those details around the trial.

Connie Britton kicks ass.

The actor who played Fred Goldman was heartbreaking. This anecdote told by comedian Brian Posehn at 3:35 of this video isn't really a funny story but you have to hear it. I wouldn't know what to do if it happened to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbCqbuZtiFg

I'm really on the fence about that scene. I mean it was powerful, sure, but it was all invented. It feels kind of exploitative.

I admit, I rolled my eyes when Dershowitz didn't say shit when Shapiro asked if anyone thought OJ did it. I mean, before being asked to join the team, didn't his ass appear on Larry King and pretty much say that OJ was guilty?

Heh.

Oh, in those Larry King scenes with Faye Resnick and F. Lee Bailey on King, was that a stunt double (the shot was a pull-back) or King re-playing himself, because he looked 100 years old then, just as he still kind of looks 100 years old? I'd simply say it wasn't him at all, except that they had perfectly matched ambient audio levels between Connie Britton and King's voice. I mean if they re-mixed King's voice from the original recordings, used a double for the scene, and mixed in the original audio they did it perfectly.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I really, truly hope that Marcia Clark did not tell Fred Goldman that she "understands" how he feels.

If she did say that, that's pretty cold.

Huh?

Firstly how would a hack like Ryan Murphy, who didn't even TRY and talk to these people have any idea that was said? Every last thing we've said in any private scene in this is made up. 100%. I mean Clark and some others directly involved wrote books, sure, but the book this show WAS loosely based on wasn't by any of those people. But I doubt even Clark's book included specific conversations like this.

But lets say it was truly said. How would it be cold? It would be a mistake sure, but cold? That attaches intent to it.

And really it's the kind of bullshit statement people always make to express sympathy without fully meaning it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5

Another scene I liked this episode is Shapiro talking with his wife and they make it clear it's not necessarily about fame in being the lead attorney of the case, he figures that Cochran is going to lose the trial and there will be more riots. I appreciate the fact that the writers aren't getting bogged down in the tabloid nature of everything and are keeping track of the big picture. 

And I'm glad that they didn't let Clark off the hook for the jury selection or ignoring the jury expert's results. She screwed up and that alone might have cost the trial. 

Agreed that Paulson and Brown have nice chemistry. 

So FX is regularly have their shows say fuck now? Brave new world. 

• Love 7

Ha! Johnnie/Courtney was wearing his Kappa pin on his lapel throughout the whole episode! I gotta tell all my Nupe friends.

ETA: And my friend just told me that Darden/Brown was wearing an Alpha pin. I thought he was in the last episode, but I dismissed it because I didn't know Darden was even in a BGLO. Wow. Learn something new every day. I looked back at some of the photos from the trial, and Johnnie is definitely wearing a Kappa Alpha Psi pin. A fact that I'm sure was noticed by his frat brother, John Singleton, who directed the Race Card episode.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 3

I can't believe it took that long for Shapiro to say "oh yeah Lee you're working for free, thanks."

I thought one of the first things attorneys did was to work out an engagement letter that establishes rates, scope of work, etc. so that everyone is on the same page about how the bill is going to be run up. I don't know anything about criminal law or Hollywood lawyers, though. It seems grossly irresponsible of (and possibly an ethics violation by) Shapiro to have done that, though (if the show accurately portrays this issue): engaging help without setting the parameters is not serving his client's interests.

Shapiro came off rather terribly in a lot of ways tonight: racially insensitive, not a great case manager, pompous, hypocritical (grandstanding in chambers about not bringing race into this) and arrogant. If the real man is like this, I wonder how he could have been so successful. I guess they are really highlighting Shapiro being out of his element with this case.

I thought that the show did a good job with shedding light on what possibly made Cochran tick. That speech in jail about how OJ's football feats inspired him kind of hit on how Cochran, aside from his ambition, might have genuinely been personally invested in keeping a black icon from being bested by a police system he had resented since the early days of his career, regardless of this particular client's guilt or innocence. You really get a sense of where he could have been coming from.

That jury focus group was painful, and honestly, I don't think the misogyny (from men and women) would be any less today. A woman who wears pantsuits instead of skirts is "not feminine enough." An aggressive woman is often a "bitch". A man scrutinizing Clark's actions puts himself in the role of her boyfriend because how else does one evaluate a woman? Ugh. It makes me want to scream. And that OJ the handsome star had higher ratings than Nicole the mercilessly beaten victim was quite chilling.

Lots to think about in this episode. It was a great one.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 13

I couldn't tell if the awkwardness in that scene was because some/all of them DID think he was guilty or if it was because that sort of question is not asked or even brought up in such circumstances. My legal training is limited to TV viewing, but I remember Some Lawyer Guy once saying that defense lawyers DON'T ask such questions, especially if they think their client may be guilty. But that may have just been Some Lawyer Guy's process, and not a general principle.

• Love 4

The scene with the focus groups was right on target.  Everything they said about Marcia Clark was accurate.    And the same was true for Nicole.  She was viewed by many as a gold digger.  And once the Resnick book came out, she was viewed even lower.  I have no idea what was and was not true from Resnick, but it sounds like Nicole was a piece of work and Faye was right there with her.

I did laugh at the scene of Robert reading the book and having to say, that's true.

It is interesting that OJ is practically a side character in his own story.    His best line last night was about Darden.

• Love 10

Maybe he should have done "the routine"

i laughed. really, really, really hard. 

Did OJ really plead like that? Absolutely, 100% Not Guilty?" 

I also had to chuckle when OJ whispers "when did they get a Black guy?"

boy - this is really showing how things really snowballed. 

• Love 5

I loved this episode. It got to my favorite aspect of the trial: defense attorney bickering! I was hoping they were going to go there and I was not disappointed.

About Marcia saying "I know how you feel" to Goldman... it wasn't that she could understand losing a child, but she had probably seen dozens, if not hundreds, of grieving families at that point in her career and could recognize that kind of pain better than anyone not a mental health professional. It was meant to be comforting, not condescending.

• Love 19

Also, apparently Marcia was raped as a 17 year old. I think she identified with victims quite a bit. Obviously not the same as losing a child.

Regardless, I'm doubtful she actually said that. I'm not sure an experienced prosecutor would say such a thing--she would have known better than to use that particular expression. As a piece of dialogue it was a good opportunity to let the Fred "character" articulate the anger the real life Fred demonstrated throughout the trial, and to introduce one of the essential dynamics of this case: that the media as a whole regarded Ron an afterthought, less important than the salacious details of the Simpson marriage.

Edited by lovinbob
  • Love 6

I feel frustrated that she had to give her hair a moment's thought while attempting to convict a murderer.

Right?!? Of all the things to focus on...I mean those curls didn't cause the crime so they should have had NO bearing on the entire proceedings.

Effin' Ito with his cameras in the courtroom.

• Love 22
When Marcia is told to alter her hair...it enrages me.  Because, after all, the only way OJ can be found guilty is if Marcia has less "bitchy" hair.  However, I remember with utter clarity the first time I saw her with her new hairstyle, and how much everyone talked about it.  I did, too.  At the time, I had no clue why she did it.  I remember thinking it softened her.  I feel frustrated that she had to give her hair a moment's thought while attempting to convict a murderer.

Meanwhile I had a conversation with my mother this weekend in which she recalled criticizing Marcia for getting her hair cut! This woman could not win. One of the many reasons why Ito allowing cameras into the courtroom was a disaster.

Edited by lovinbob
  • Love 12

I remember MC not only straightening her hair, but also beginning to wear lighter colors. I also remember the tabloids picking apart every person even tangentially connected to this case. Every member of the legal team, the families, the victims. Even Ito. No one was spared. And it went on for years and only began to die down slightly after Diana's death. Because that story took this one's place in the 24 hour news story. And so it began. Shapiro's character even foreshadows the 24 hour news cycle last night. Shit was bananas. You could not escape this trial.

• Love 3

In the scene when Connie/Faye was talking, and the writer (Mike Walker from the Enquirer I assume) was typing - It looked like he was typing on a modern day laptop, not one that would have been around in 1994.

I know there were a few laptops out at that time, but I noticed that right away. Maybe I am nitpicking too much...

• Love 2