Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Mr. Mom

• Start Topic

Sounds like a car service is the way to go - very nice. Certainly better than taxis and Uber makes me a little nervous. Besides I don't like the constant "Please rate me high..." Especially when it isn't HIGH service. But I'm always willing to pay a little more if it means QUALITY. Thanks to everyone who replied. :>)

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

During the previews, I honestly believed that Bill was getting a permanent "girly" tattoo. I was very relieved when it turned out that he was just pretending. He acts woosy enough that I actually thought that that tattoo may have been his choice, for a permanent mark on his body.

Agree. I'd never want a tattoo myself but IMO, for those who do want one, getting a "named" tattoo comes very close to tempting the gods. Just like those nimrods who said the Titanic was an unsinkable boat. Just asking for trouble... :>)

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

Agree. I'd never want a tattoo myself but IMO, for those who do want one, getting a "named" tattoo comes very close to tempting the gods. Just like those nimrods who said the Titanic was an unsinkable boat. Just asking for trouble... :>)

Agree - unless the name is "MOM", and she's not a total bitch!  ;-)

Remember Johnny Depp's Winona Forever debacle?  Now he has to live with Wino Forever, forever.

• Love 4

If Bill really has a fused back, he can't really get a tattoo. My husband had a similar surgery and has a metal rod in his back. The infection chance is too high to get a piercing or tattoo. If my husband pulled a similar stunt, I would know he was faking it just because of the risks involved. I kind of got that impression from Jen's reaction that she knew there was no way Bill would risk his life for a tattoo.

• Love 2

Good point and i think Bill said on twitter that due to his hip replacement surgery he could not get a real  tattoo. So Jen knew. So the tattoo parlor got their Andy Warhol 15 min although i cannot remember the name of the place. ALL ABOARD.

Good point and i think Bill said on twitter that due to his hip replacement surgery he could not get a real tattoo. So Jen knew. So the tattoo parlor got their Andy Warhol 15 min although i cannot remember the name of the place. ALL ABOARD.

I wonder how the producers decide which stores get product placement on the show? Do they sit down with Bill and Jen to write scripts, then seek out establishments accordingly? I understand the Manwich type stuff comes from the higher ups at the network, but what about local content?

• Love 2

For all we know, Bill in one of his side businesses could have an outreach project on behalf of TLC. And he is a consulting producer so that ties together well. I liked the community garden but i thought Bill could have done a better job of promoting it instead of laughing when he asked Zoey who was going to eat the vegetables and she said "Will." Will and Zoey may not have completely understood the concept of the garden but the viewers would have. Seemed like he phoned it in.  And the more I think about it, how bizarre that he went to a tattoo parlor knowing that he couldn't really get one anyway. And would not fool Jen. Too scripted and I am sure that we are not always shown Zoey and Will's initial reaction to things as well. There are multiple takes for certain things I am sure.  Finally, without Will and Zoey, it would have been a really boring episode. I don't care about Bill making pizza or driving around to random places while Jen gets paid to make a speech.

• Love 2
I would much prefer seeing moments like the kids looking at the globe and pointing out where they came from than all the infomercial crap.

I can't get enough of the kids but I do think watching them go through a typical day on ever show would get boring.

I'm unclear as to what you mean by "infomercials".  I thought the community garden was interesting and a good learning experience for the kids.  I think the dragon dancing school tied in with the fact that Will came from China.  I hardly think things like that are infomercials, especially if the kids continue to attend as Will does with martial arts and Zoey does with dancing.  

I don't recall any products being hawked with that rather lumpy pizza - and I had to laugh out loud with Zoey throwing her hands up on that!

• Love 3

OMG, he's such a wimp, he picked a woman's tattoo." When a man bows down to his wife all of the time, I think that a lot of people wouldn't be shocked if he picked a feminine tattoo.

Except Bill didn't pick the tattoo--he let Zoey choose it.  

• Love 5

For all we know, Bill in one of his side businesses could have an outreach project on behalf of TLC. And he is a consulting producer so that ties together well. I liked the community garden but i thought Bill could have done a better job of promoting it instead of laughing when he asked Zoey who was going to eat the vegetables and she said "Will." Will and Zoey may not have completely understood the concept of the garden but the viewers would have. Seemed like he phoned it in.  And the more I think about it, how bizarre that he went to a tattoo parlor knowing that he couldn't really get one anyway. And would not fool Jen. Too scripted and I am sure that we are not always shown Zoey and Will's initial reaction to things as well. There are multiple takes for certain things I am sure.  Finally, without Will and Zoey, it would have been a really boring episode. I don't care about Bill making pizza or driving around to random places while Jen gets paid to make a speech.

Agree. Sadly, it is beginning to look like the production values for The Little Couple are beginning to sag. Although it's still nowhere nearly as awful as it is for 19 Kids. The TLC crew over there has barely been phoning it in for years now.

• Love 3

I wonder how the producers decide which stores get product placement on the show? Do they sit down with Bill and Jen to write scripts, then seek out establishments accordingly? I understand the Manwich type stuff comes from the higher ups at the network, but what about local content?

I think they approach a business like the tattoo parlor and offer them a opportunity to advertise possibly for a reduced fee.  If they agree their name is used and services/products comped if they don't their name is fogged out?  

• Love 2

Let's face it, each show has to have some sort of theme or something that ties it all together: Mr. Mom, trips to some place, birthdays, whatever. It's just the way it is and they are going to become repetitive.

What makes this show delightful are the kids. We've seen Jen and Bill over the years and now the kids are the draw.

I think the show should be cut back to a half hour but there must be a reason ($) that TLC keeps it at an hour. They wouldn't if there weren't sponsors buying ad time.

Now that the kids are more talkative and aware they are just cuter than ever. It is fun watching them navigate activities and learning new things.

I can't see that TLC wants to pull the plug anytime soon. Unlike the Duggars or some other skeevy reality show subjects, Jen and Bill are educated and admirable. It's one show that TLC should be proud of.

• Love 4

I thought Bill did a good job of explaining to the viewers that food from the community garden goes to people in need and that visitors replace anything they take from the garden. For Will and Zoey it was enough to learn that carrots come from the ground. The “seeds” of social awareness were being planted (sorry, too “twee” I’m sure) and as they get older, they will understand much more about the concepts. Zoey’s response that it was Will who would eat the carrots was just funny and spontaneous. Had Bill belabored the point, it would then have been “scripted” (oh, no’s!).  Since this is not a documentary, I enjoyed this episode’s theme of “While the cat’s away, the mice will play” for the entertainment that it was: messy pizza, tattoos all around, pie-in-the-face, and Bill and Will doing their “man wash” in the kitchen sink. And now, I’m off to get a temporary skull and crossbones tattoo so I can quickly knock over the nearest liquor store before it washes off : -).

• Love 7

The tattoo parlor probably works with a marketing agency who put them in contact with TLC. I doubt the tattoo parlor contacted Bill and Jen solo unless he knew them personally. I don't think the owner knew Bill & Jen personally, or Bill would have talked about how he knew them like he did on Manwich night.

As for restaurants, it's probably a mix of TLC contacting favorite restaurants of Bill & Jen and using marketing agencies.

I kind of wonder if someone in Bill and Jen's circle had agreed to get a tattoo and then backed out leaving the producers to come up with that. That piece would have been so much better if one of his brother's, for example, was getting a tattoo.

• Love 1

Finally had time to finish the episode. Loveeeeee Jen's new hair color. It is a good look for her. So many moments stood out for me. The pizza making charmed me. And the pie in the face game! Fun! Love Bill's sense of humor - the tattoo parlor cracked me up. I like how he lets the kids (Zoey) pick out a tattoo.

Very sweet and enjoyable family.

• Love 5

Usually production assistants call several businesses in an area to see if they will give services in exchange for the advertisement of being on the show.  They may not even all be in the same type of thing.  Then they do a bunch of visits and the editing department ends up trying to make coherent episodes out of it.  They do try to start with a plan of separate episodes but it doesn't always work out once it hits post-production and we end up with the continuity errors.  The joys of cheap TV. :)

• Love 6

This wasn't my favorite episode, but the kids were cute as always. I thought Will's speech was fantastic. I wish I could remember the examples where I was really impressed with the improvement. I loved Will at the class. I loved when he toppled Jen over the give her a huge hug, and I loved how well he followed directions.

• Love 2

This wasn't my favorite episode, but the kids were cute as always. I thought Will's speech was fantastic. I wish I could remember the examples where I was really impressed with the improvement. I loved Will at the class. I loved when he toppled Jen over the give her a huge hug, and I loved how well he followed directions.

Will followed the class instructions very well for a 5 year old. He takes class instructions very seriously from what we've seen. His blinking along with the lion head blinking just about killed me. The hot mess pizza was um, interesting to say the least. Bill totally pulled a dad thing though. First, I'm pretty sure Zoey's chef hat was on backwards and second, the apron does little to save a white shirt when she's pretty much dragging her long sleeve across the sauce. 

I'm going to go slightly against the grain here, I think Jen's hair is too dark. I did like the shorter spiky top though. 

• Love 2

I'm going to go slightly against the grain here, I think Jen's hair is too dark. I did like the shorter spiky top though.

I think adding some subtle highlights would've softened it up a bit. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the pixie cut on Jen, but looking at the flashbacks to when she had her bob, I think the pixie is much more edgy and flattering.

I'm glad to see that Will and Zoey's adoptions are discussed openly. We have an adopted set of twins in my family, and while they knew from a young age, their parents never really encouraged them to embrace their original culture. One twin has been struggling with abandonment issues as of late.

• Love 2

Usually production assistants call several businesses in an area to see if they will give services in exchange for the advertisement of being on the show.  They may not even all be in the same type of thing.  Then they do a bunch of visits and the editing department ends up trying to make coherent episodes out of it.  They do try to start with a plan of separate episodes but it doesn't always work out once it hits post-production and we end up with the continuity errors.  The joys of cheap TV. :)

This explains a LOT. At least, a lot of what we see on TLC - LOL.

• Love 2

If Bill really has a fused back, he can't really get a tattoo. My husband had a similar surgery and has a metal rod in his back. The infection chance is too high to get a piercing or tattoo. If my husband pulled a similar stunt, I would know he was faking it just because of the risks involved. I kind of got that impression from Jen's reaction that she knew there was no way Bill would risk his life for a tattoo.

My husband had spinal fusion surgery. He had a tattoo done 8 months later. Perhaps there is a period of time one should wait, but my husband was never told not to ever get tattoos.

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 1

It depends on whether or not implants were used for the fusion.  Even things like knee replacements - patients have to take antibiotics before dental procedures for 5 years and are advised not to get tattoos.

• Love 1

I thought it was interesting that when Jen told Zoey that she was going on a business trip, Zoey asked if Jen was going to bring back presents. And of course Jen said yes. I thought it odd that Zoey did not say Mommy come back soon, I love you, I will miss you etc. And maybe she did but what TLC showed us was her asking for presents. These kids expect presents and gifts for everything and they think it is ok to ASK for gifts. That is not polite behavior for a child.

• Love 1

I thought it was interesting that when Jen told Zoey that she was going on a business trip, Zoey asked if Jen was going to bring back presents. And of course Jen said yes. I thought it odd that Zoey did not say Mommy come back soon, I love you, I will miss you etc. And maybe she did but what TLC showed us was her asking for presents. These kids expect presents and gifts for everything and they think it is ok to ASK for gifts. That is not polite behavior for a child.

Too funny!  I thought the exact same thing and I noticed Jen looked disappointed when Zoey said it.  And Will acts like she is an obstacle blocking the tv screen.

**Note to production***  No more filming of goodbye scenes until the kids know their lines.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

If you request the same driver, you get the same driver if available. I use the same one every time.

When I lived in Boston and worked for the airline, I always asked for the same driver for the ride to the airport.  There were only a couple of occasions where I couldn't be accommodated.

I loved this episode.  I must be in the minority, I like Jen's hair lighter.  That's probably because my own hair is platinum blonde too.

• Love 4

Too funny! I thought the exact same thing and I noticed Jen looked disappointed when Zoey said it. And Will acts like she is an obstacle blocking the tv screen.

**Note to production*** No more filming of goodbye scenes until the kids know their lines.

That's why I wonder if some of these scenes are re-shot because of continuity issues, bad lighting, bad camera angles etc. I noticed that the kids were blase when Jen arrived home as well. They didn't rush to greet her or get excited which makes me wonder if they did several takes and the kids were over it by the time they got the right one.

• Love 4

That's why I wonder if some of these scenes are re-shot because of continuity issues, bad lighting, bad camera angles etc. I noticed that the kids were blase when Jen arrived home as well. They didn't rush to greet her or get excited which makes me wonder if they did several takes and the kids were over it by the time they got the right one.

They absolutely are.  They also splice in scenes from other times. 

• Love 4

I can remember as a kid my sister and I asking my dad to bring us back presents when he went away on business. It was fairly rare for him to go, though, and I also remember we tackled him when he came back with "What did you bring us?" Not 'we love you' or 'we missed you.' But even now we rarely say those words because that's not how my family rolls. 

• Love 9

Will did run to her but it did look like either they reshot it so they were over it, or it was shot on a completely different day. 

• Love 1
I can remember as a kid my sister and I asking my dad to bring us back presents when he went away on business.

My dad traveled extensively and my sister and I always asked as well.  We weren't greedy but it was a reassurance that he'd be back if only to bring us something.

• Love 7

Well, it may not be polite, but it is very definitely common, even "normal" - at least for kids Will's and Zoey's ages. The young children I worked with whose parents traveled talked a great deal in school very excitedly about presents they received because their parents had to "go away" for a while. But I don't recall a single one ever mentioning that they missed the parent, or were worried or scared while either was gone. Not after the fact, at least. Kids this age are just not "there" yet socially or emotionally. Basically their world pretty much still revolves around them, and naturally-enough they view everything through the prism of how it will affect them.

• Love 7

My dad traveled all the time when I was a kid. I always asked him to bring me something back. Sometimes he brought me a charm for my charm bracelet, other times he gave me the bag of peanuts from the airplane. I didn't care what he brought me.

And NO, I wasn't going to tell him I love him or miss him! That was for wussies.

• Love 10

My husband had both of his knees replaced. His doctor gave him antibiotics that he has to take before dental procedures or tattoos and the like. People with bone replacements can get tattoos if they want them.

Bill doesn't want a tattoo. It was just a gimmick for the show. Jen said that she knew it was a lie because he's afraid of needles. Please, Bill never was or never will be the tattoo type. He doesn't even stand up to his wife for what he wants.

Maybe it's a certain type of implant or metal is used? My husband does take the antibiotics before dental work, but he also has to get antibiotics any time he gets a cut or scrap that can't scab within 24 hours. He was also told by his doctor that he should never, ever, ever get a tattoo or piercings and that antibiotics would do absolutely nothing for the risk.

• Love 1

I don't think it's favoritism, Will knows he can't jump on Jen. Did you see the hug he gave her at Lion dancing? Jen was sitting and he knocked her over. I assume many will disagree and believe Will favors Bill. That may have been true earlier but I see more and more affection from Will to Jen.

• Love 3

I assume many will disagree and believe Will favors Bill.

Viewers see what they want to see.  I believe both children love both parents.  And the fact that they don't fall apart when one of them leaves shows me that they feel safe and confident that the parent who is leaving will return.  And that is a huge feat in children who have been abandoned early in life. 

• Love 15
Viewers see what they want to see.  I believe both children love both parents.

I agree and I also don't place much importance on the effusiveness or lack thereof when a parent comes home.  Jen goes to work every day so they are used to her coming and going.  And their attention span at that age is so short, much like a dog - "Oh, look, Mon's home must run over and say hell........SQUIRREL!".  It doesn't take much to distract them,especially if it wasn't a first take on the scene.

• Love 9

Viewers see what they want to see.  I believe both children love both parents.  And the fact that they don't fall apart when one of them leaves shows me that they feel safe and confident that the parent who is leaving will return.  And that is a huge feat in children who have been abandoned early in life. 

Agree. It should also be noted that during certain developmental stages, it's completely expected that kids will "prefer" or identify more strongly with one parent or another. But it's not abnormal at all and certainly not indicative of an emotional disorder. It's basically how we learn to feel secure in the family group, trust adults, learn gender roles etc. And because some of these stages occur early on in a child's life, in Will's and Zoey's cases, caregivers would have been "standing in" for actual parents at the time.

• Love 7