Type keyword(s) to search

Superstore In the Media

The creator of Superstore on "will they/won't they" relationships and hopes for season 2

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/22/11093900/superstore-nbc-interview-season-finale

Interesting quote:

A to Z was very heavily a romantic comedy, and the pilot of Superstore felt more like a romantic comedy than I think I ever meant the show to be. So one thing I had to tell him was, "No, this is not a show about whether Jonah and Amy are going to get together and what beautiful, sweet thing is Jonah going to do." Basically, that the show would allow him to be a more rounded, comedic character than that.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, J0nas3 said:

Have they said anything about whether this and the other Thursday shows will move when NBC airs its 5 Thursday night games?

I don't think they're moving them. Probably looking at a 5 week hiatus.

Good news!

‘Superstore’ Renewed For Season 3 By NBC

“We are extremely proud of ‘Superstore,’ which is one of the smartest and funniest comedies on television today,” said Jennifer Salke, President, NBC Entertainment. “Through the show’s expertly drawn characters, our producers and cast do a remarkable job touching on many issues in which audiences can relate. To its credit, not only does ‘Superstore’ make us laugh, but it makes us think as well.”

• Love 13

Season 1 bloopers! I love this show and it really seems like the cast get along. Also seems like they do a LOT of improv, particularly Colton (Garrett). Makes sense since comedians make up a lot of the main cast: Colton/Garrett, Lauren/Dina, Nico/Mateo, and I think Nichole/Cheyenne.

My favorite blooper is Colton ribbing Ben about his IRL wedding.

It also seems fairly clear that some of them play heightened versions of themselves, particularly Colton, Ben, and Nico.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 7

Love triangle alert.

"The Exes" alumna Kelly Stables is set for a recurring role on the upcoming third season of NBC’s hit comedy series Superstore. Stables will play chipper divorcée Kelly, who’s back in the work force with her new job at Cloud 9. Her quirky optimism grates on Amy (America Ferrera), but she strikes up a fun flirtation with Jonah (Ben Feldman). Stables, known for her series-regular role as Eden on TV Land’s The Exes, has recurred on No Tomorrow and Two and  Half Men and co-starred in feature Horrible Bosses 2.

Sounds like they are still going by The Office playbook and have cast their version of Karen. More stalling tactics, although Karen did finally force Pam to confront her feelings. I predict Amy will finally do something about her feelings for Jonah with Kelly as catalyst. I just hope they don't villainize Kelly. 

I usually dislike love triangles where the male is the one in the middle. 

Edited by EarlGreyTea

That picture really shows how big the cast has grown. Background characters, while maybe not fully fleshed out, have turned into relatively prominent roles. Not pictured... Jeff, Myrtle, Brett, Justine, Kelly, Tate, and Bo. I can't think of another show that has done such a great job developing so many supporting roles.

Oh, and I'm stoked for season 4!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Except for Elias, I don't recognize anyone in the background of that photo.

I just meant the nine in the foreground of the publicity shot. Even that's a big cast for a show, and it doesn't include everyone. 

18 hours ago, ae2 said:

That picture really shows how big the cast has grown. Background characters, while maybe not fully fleshed out, have turned into relatively prominent roles. Not pictured... Jeff, Myrtle, Brett, Justine, Kelly, Tate, and Bo. I can't think of another show that has done such a great job developing so many supporting roles.

Maybe The Office? But yeah it is really impressive.

Oh, and I'm stoked for season 4!

Me too! Between this showm The Good Place, and if it lives up to it's promise, AP Bio, I'm watching and enjoying much more comedy on NBC than I have for a long time now.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2018 at 8:44 AM, Kip Hackman said:

Great news, although it was expected. This will put them at 77 episodes total. Since 88 episodes are required for syndication, a 5th season is pretty much guaranteed.

88 isn’t required and at 77 they could easily just end it there. I hope they get an extra episode next season then gets a final 22 episode 5th season.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:06 PM, Skyfall said:

88 isn’t required and at 77 they could easily just end it there. I hope they get an extra episode next season then gets a final 22 episode 5th season.

It'll easily get to 6-7 seasons at least. It's a good meat and potatoes kind of show that takes care of it's timeslot and performs quite well in repeats.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, calguy said:

It'll easily get to 6-7 seasons at least. It's a good meat and potatoes kind of show that takes care of it's timeslot and performs quite well in repeats.

It went fractional last week so better reframe for those type of predictions.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nico Santos discusses Superstore and his movie Crazy Rich Asians:

I love him and I can’t wait for Crazy Rich Asians. The novels are so good!

This show has really grown on me despite not giving any fucks about Amy and Jonah. My only thing is now that they have gone there with them they need to be fully in on them as a couple. 

Im actually more excited that the best comedy on network TV is going to be on the same network. I hope they air the same night because B99 would be a good compliment to this show. (And if you haven’t watched B99, you have until mid season to binge watch)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Trillium said:

I hope they air the same night because B99 would be a good compliment to this show. 

It would be pretty ironic if Superstore & B99 aired on the same night, considering that they're the spiritual descendants of The Office and Parks & Rec, respectively. 

• Love 3

Actually, Parks & Rec is a spiritual descendant of The Office, too.  It was started by people who worked on The Office.

And I think there's a good chance NBC will put them on the same night.  Networks tend to lump similar shows in the same time block.

14 minutes ago, Roaster said:

And I think there's a good chance NBC will put them on the same night.  Networks tend to lump similar shows in the same time block.

I've seen a lot of speculation that they will put B99 in The Good Place's time slot in the spring since they were both picked up for 13 episodes and are similar in many ways (both critical darlings that have never gotten the ratings or awards they deserve.) And it's probably the best match out there as far as both being well written, well acted workplace comedies that aren't afraid to go for both cartoonishly absurd or touching character based moments grounded in reality, often in the same episode.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Actually, Parks & Rec is a spiritual descendant of The Office, too.  It was started by people who worked on The Office.

I'm aware of that, but Mike Schur put his own spin on Parks, and made it into something different than The Office. 

Justin Spitzer ("Superstore" creator) was an Office guy, and Dan Goor (B99) came from Parks & Rec. And I think that shows up in their respective series. 

Did we complain about the Emmy nominations yet?  Superstore got zero nominations this year.  Brooklyn Nine-Nine, another of my shows, got only one (for guest actor).

B99 actors Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz want to know where the Latin nominees are.  I don't think there is great injustice here, but I do like both of those performers, and America Ferrera even more.  Would have been nice to get some recognition for them.

• Love 3