Type keyword(s) to search

Superstore In the Media

To me, the prospect of some shows adressing the Corona crisis in their upcoming seasons has lost its appeal since spring.  There is a lot of comedic potential in it for a show like Superstore but the situation surronding Covid has become mentally straining and I am not sure I want to be reminded of it in every other show this autumn.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Aulty said:

To me, the prospect of some shows adressing the Corona crisis in their upcoming seasons has lost its appeal since spring.  There is a lot of comedic potential in it for a show like Superstore but the situation surronding Covid has become mentally straining and I am not sure I want to be reminded of it in every other show this autumn.

My feeling exactly. I'd love it if most of our shows pretended that it never happened, it is the one thing everyone has been constantly talking about for months now and I just want to forget it ever happened. But the superstore creators already confirmed that it will be incorporated into the next season 😞

• Love 2

They say that tragedy + time = comedy.  While I agree that Superstore could probably pull off a Covid storyline better than most shows, I don't think the timing is right.  People are still dying.  Also, I think any show working in Covid in a realistic way - everyone with masks, socially distanced, 1/2 the staff laid off, etc. - would get boring really quick. 

I think it could be funny if they had an episode plot line that dealt with some of the odder aspects of Covid - the hoarding of toilet paper, the run on elastic (to make masks), bread and yeast being sold out, etc.  But don't use Covid - come up with some other situation that causes all of this.  Then go back to "normal".  We watch shows like Superstore to escape. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Also, I think any show working in Covid in a realistic way - everyone with masks, socially distanced, 1/2 the staff laid off, etc. - would get boring really quick. 

I think it could be funny if they had an episode plot line that dealt with some of the odder aspects of Covid - the hoarding of toilet paper, the run on elastic (to make masks), bread and yeast being sold out, etc.  But don't use Covid - come up with some other situation that causes all of this.  Then go back to "normal".  We watch shows like Superstore to escape.

I think doing something not-COVID but having all the trappings of a COVID response would be kind of silly because we would all know what it's standing in for.  It's tricky for Superstore because it has tackled real life issues in the past.  COVID would make sense for the show to cover and there would be a lot of humor in how people behave in these stores.  I don't think there'd be layoffs, though.  I believe grocery stores and places like Walmart/Target might have actually increased the number of workers they had. 

But trying to incorporate it all in every episode will get tough.

Yeah, that's where I am. I mean, I binged this show at the beginning of quarantine, back when we thought this was going to be quick thing to get through. But now six months into it, and I'm tired of being tired and anxious and angry and I'm not there yet in terms of finding the toilet paper shortage or mask outrage funny. I have no doubt that this show could do that well as they've done other "disaster" storylines well, but I'm personally not in a place to laugh yet. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

The problem is that it's not funny. It's totally realistic that there'd be issues, but I don't know how they make it anything but upsetting. Though I'm not a TV writer, so maybe the professionals can figure it out.

This. It's just depressing and unnecessary. Give us some wacky hijinks and an excellent explanation for Jonah and Amy's breakup instead.

America Ferrera's Superstore Return Extended — Plus, Get a First Look at COVID-Themed Season 6

America Ferrera isn’t punching out of Superstore as soon as we thought.

TVLine can exclusively confirm that Ferrera — whose previously announced departure from NBC’s No. 1 comedy was delayed due to COVID-19 — has signed on to appear in not one, but two Season 6 episodes. As a result, the sitcom’s milestone 100th episode will now double as Ferrera’s swan song.

The news comes as Superstore works to incorporate the ongoing coronavirus pandemic into Amy’s farewell storyline, which began last season when she accepted a corporate gig in California.

“We’re lucky enough to have America back for our first two episodes of the season,” co-showrunners Jonathan Green and Gabe Miller tell TVLine. “There was so much we wanted to explore with COVID and how it changes the world of Cloud 9 that we decided to focus on that in the premiere, with Amy starting her new job remotely while still trying to manage the store.

“The second episode will cover Amy’s last day at Cloud 9, so we can fully give her the sendoff she deserves,” they continue. “It’s also Superstore‘s 100th episode, so we’re excited that America will be celebrating that milestone with us.”

Further elaborating on Season 6’s COVID theme, Green and Miller tell us that the premiere will pick up where last season’s cliffhanger left off, as the virus delays Amy and Jonah’s move to California. “[There will be] time jumps within the episode taking us through the early months of the pandemic, [before we] gradually catch up to where things are now. We’ll show how all of our characters are handling the uncertainty, the panicky and difficult customers, and the new demands of the job.” That includes Glenn and Dina, who “initially enjoy being called ‘heroes,’ but that doesn’t last long.”

• Love 3

I'm happy about it too.  I'm just worried about continuity.

Spoiler

Last we saw Kelly, didn't she and Jonah have a friendship that made Amy a bit uncomfortable?  So it seems like they'd managed to make it past their discomfort.  I hope the show doesn't bring it back because they feel like they need to go that route.

Sad to see the show end, but I think it's the right move. Besides, reaching over 100 episodes in the current tv landscape is quite the accomplishment! I'm glad it was announced ahead of time so that the showrunner/writers can craft the ending they want - it's a privilege a lot of shows don't get anymore. 

• Love 8

Only 11 episodes left..that is barely anything at all. If it was going to be like this, they could have at least given us a good, fully fleshed out 22 episode final season. I am sad and my day is ruined.

• Love 1

It sucks but reflecting on it, it’s time. Without COVID driving some of the plot this season, I’m  not sure what else is left to tell, Amy or no Amy. Even the COVID stuff, it’s like yep, still a pandemic, it’s still terrible. I’m sure the pandemic is also why there’s only 11 more episodes, it has to be a PITA to shoot with all the restrictions and cases getting worse.  At least they have time to wrap it up. I’m sure Amy will be back and her and Jonah will reunite, because they’ll want a happy ending. Although I didn’t hate them together, their break up makes me want Jonah to tell her to beat it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

I’m sure Amy will be back and her and Jonah will reunite, because they’ll want a happy ending. Although I didn’t hate them together, their break up makes me want Jonah to tell her to beat it. 

Nooooooo! Unless we retcon to early seasons a la Dallas, ita, beat it. I’m not certain how I’d like to see it end. I’d expect some of the people to be in similar circumstances (retail, suburban St. Louis) most of their work lives, but I don’t want to think of them doing the same things for the next 30 years. Maybe the store will close since people are buying things online now and everyone will go on to new adventures.

• Love 2

Sad. I had expected it would maybe last another season or two without America, but this is sooner than i thought, plus it’s a shortened season. I hope the producers had enough time to craft a good ending

• Love 3
3 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I am sad, I think the show still have a lot of story for a seventh season. I also think the show is a bigger success than just six seasons. Is NBC just getting rid of sitcoms? 

The variety article mentions it has not been doing good enough in ratings last season, so that is probably the reason.

I am not devasted, but I will miss the show. I'd rather have them end the show a year early and give the writers enough time to wrap up the story, than dragging it out and cancel it between seasons. At least they don't need to come up with more reasons why Jonah is still working in retail and end on some sappy Amy/Jonah reunion.

NBC should shoot a few dozen more of those badly behaved customer snippets and then sprinkle them in between their regular shows every now and then.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Harvey said:

The variety article mentions it has not been doing good enough in ratings last season, so that is probably the reason.

Bummer.  I wish NBC would've considered moving the show to their Peacock streaming service instead of concluding it.

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Harvey said:

Not sure I'm buying that, unless NBC is getting completely out of the sitcom business.  Superstore has been their highest rated comedy of the past few years, and that includes Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place.

ETA: It will be interesting when we eventually find out the timeline of this decision. I have to think that, if they had known this would be the final season, they wouldn't have written out Amy in such a clumsy way.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 4

Yes! I am so happy it’s ending. Without Amy it is not the same show. I know it’s an ensemble but Amy was the main character. Her and Jonah need a happy ending. Watching it without her felt weird and just didn’t make sense. I’ve never been so happy for a show to be ending.

• Love 1

I wonder if they're going to end it by having the store be one of the casualties of the pandemic and close for good or if they're going to try and give some of the employees a happy ending?

I thought this show was good the first couple of seasons but then a lot the characters became people I didn't like and couldn't root for and now most episodes I don't laugh. I was never a fan of Amy so it didn't bother me when she left but I have to wonder if her leaving factored in to the show coming to an end? Because I think the show could definitely go on without her, even though I don't laugh as much as I did the first few seasons I enjoy watching the show with or without Amy.

10 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I thought this show was good the first couple of seasons but then a lot the characters became people I didn't like and couldn't root for and now most episodes I don't laugh.

That's how I've felt about the last 2 1/2 seasons at the very least. It started of as a really entertaining and enjoyable show.  The characters still could have become more frustrated and jaded without becoming what they are now.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2020 at 2:48 PM, Cotypubby said:

You could always simply not watch it.

Oh really what a novel concept lol. I obv know I don’t have to watch it but I wanna see the ending. So I’m glad the ending is coming sooner rather then later.

• Love 2

So sad about the cancellation!

It's the only half hour sitcom I watch anymore. The rest are all revolting SEX-Comedies.

Hey I like Cheyenne but how on earth could a spinoff not be on DEANNA (pobably the best character) and GARRETT?

Bo? Seriously? I can only take him in small doses.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 4

As much as I like the current crop of emplyoees, instead of focussing a spin-off on the most annoying couple of the show, just start anew with a new team in a different branch of Cloud 9 (or one of its rivals). Maybe transfer the odd character from the original show to the new store or have the occasional guest appearance.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2

I'd rather a Dina spinoff with the cute vet. Imagine the hijinks of them trying to save birds together.

As much as I still like individual characters (Dina...Jonah when he's not a pretentious asshat....Kelly?) and was eager for an Amy-free show, the writers have been pushing unfunny, cartoonish characterization - even for a sitcom - for years and are almost obsessively hellbent on ruining every couple to the point of never being able to reunite in a healthy way (good luck selling a sappy, permanent Amy/Jonah reunion weeks/months after she dumped him and admitted she didn't want to marry him). This is their own doing. Hardly anyone likable or realistic is left. I'll follow Lauren Ash and Ben Feldman to their next projects and that's about it.

I remember really enjoying this show until they wrote in America's pregnancy. For me at least that seemed to be the point where things started to change and not for the better.

That Cheyenne and Bo spinoff idea sounds like hot garbage.

• Love 4
On 12/21/2020 at 2:56 AM, Aulty said:

As much as I like the current crop of emplyoees, instead of focussing a spin-off on the most annoying couple of the show, just start anew with a new team in a different branch of Cloud 9 (or one of its rivals).

I'm guessing if they focus on the Bo and Cheyenne family, they'll end up with a smaller cast and fewer extras. It'll be cheaper and easier to film than moving the action to another store.

• Love 1