Type keyword(s) to search

VH1 Picks Up A New Season Of America's Top Model, Without Tyra Banks As Host

I am EXTREMELY jazzed to hear about this revival. I'm not surprised Tyra is not available - she has a new baby! (And no nanny, I'm sure...) But under the unsubtle hand of Ken Mok I think we should get a product of which Ty-Ty would be proud. I'm smizing from ear-to-ear, and hoping for a resurgence of Nigel and Mr. Jay.

Tyra is also doing NBC's "The Apprentice" so she'll be busy with that.  I have no faith in this not being a train wreck with Ken Mok involved.  At least it's going back to New York.  Now watch them ignore the contestants with actual modeling potential in favor of the ones without potential.  I also hope it's not co-ed.  I liked Make Me A Supermodel as far as co-ed shows went but that barely lasted two seasons.

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Very glad to hear the show lives, but it just won't be the same without Tyra. I guess I'll just have to wait for her to be the very special guest star photographer/makeup artist/life coach mid-season.

> I also hope it stops being coed.

Agreed. I would be totally fine with the show going back towards its runway roots - especially with the show's return to New York.

Edited by JennyExiled
  • Love 1

Yay! But WHO can replace TyTy as host?

Miss J?

Mr. Jay?

Lisa D'Amato?

Jade?

BryanBoy?

Yu Tsai?

Nigel?

The train wreck possibilities for this are endless, and I am fully on board for it.

I also hope it stops being co-ed, because co-ed is dumb. Except Nyle. I still love Nyle.

• Love 1

Oh I'd totally be onboard for coed if they even just fielded more candidates whom we could at pretend had a legit chance at a modeling career. It's VH1, though, so I'm not holding my breath. 

I think it'd be kinda fun if they replaced Tyra with another recognizable model from the '90s, but I suspect the show will be even more low budget than the CW, so they may not want to shell out the big bucks for a name. I do hope they bring back Paulina though. I don't think $$$ would be an issue with her but more her having pissed off Tyra post-firing, so we'll see.

And speaking of fired ANTM judges, Janice would totally fit within the VH1 wheelhouse. (Wasn't she on one of their other shows recently?) But maybe she'd be too much of a production headache to deal with. Blunt-but-serious-about-modeling Janice can be fun if kept in check.

Edited by KFC

Just announced that this will be an all girls cycle.  Someone must have put a kibosh on the co-ed when Tyra started talking about wanting to have plus-sized males on the show.

Now, they still need to find a host.  One of the "rumored" ones, Gigi Hadid, has said it won't be her though she's not opposed to appearing.  That leaves rumors of Kendall Jenner (ugh) or possibly Coco Rocha.

Supposedly, this will air this coming Fall.

Edited by milkyaqua

I thought Coco did a decent job on whatever show she did with the model teams. She's personable and experienced enough to see in a role here. Now whether she wants to align with this train wreck or has the time, that may be a different story. I follow her on Instagram and she seems pretty busy with legitimate work and her young daughter.

Kendall, um, yeah. No. She's too young and not outgoing enough to pull off hosting something like this.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

VH-1 strikes me as a rather cheap operation. I'm guessing Kendall won't be the host. Her asking price will probably be too high relative to the other offers she's probably fielding at this point in her career.

Would a Kardashian ever turn down a reality show?  

Did Tyra really talk about plus-sized male models?  I don't...is that even a thing that exists?  I say that as a big guy, catalogs and such seem to use super tall models not really, um, wider ones.

VH1's 'America's Next Top Model' Might Have Found Its New Host(s)

There were rumors that America's Next Top Model would move from singular host to two co-hosts in the jump from The CW to VH1. This report seems to confirm those rumors. While Rita Ora has apparently been offered a formal deal by America's Next Top Model, her co-host might also be set.

A Hollywood Life insider says that co-host could be rapper A$AP Rocky -- a rapper who is primarily known, perhaps, for having a song that upset Rita Ora and was apparently about their dating history. However with all that animosity, America's Next Top Model is apparently very happy with Rita and her on-screen chemistry with the rapper. 

More news; show appears to be shooting now in NYC and will be 14 episodes airing this Fall:

Cycle will be all girls.

Additions to show include, Law Roach - stylist (Zendaya, Celine Dion).

Drew Elliott, creative officer of Paper magazine.

Ashley Graham, model/Miss USA pageant host.

On 16/07/2016 at 7:38 AM, milkyaqua said:

More news; show appears to be shooting now in NYC and will be 14 episodes airing this Fall:

Cycle will be all girls.

Additions to show include, Law Roach - stylist (Zendaya, Celine Dion).

Drew Elliott, creative officer of Paper magazine.

Ashley Graham, model/Miss USA pageant host.

It will be the first time since NYC back in Cycle 14.

What a major WTF this is. Someone who is neither American NOR even a former model. I believe Ora has done casual modeling hand in hand with her music career, but its never BEEN her career.  

Ora is perfectly pleasant, but she's really just going to be a pretty face presenting.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2016 at 8:21 AM, Kromm said:

What a major WTF this is. Someone who is neither American NOR even a former model. I believe Ora has done casual modeling hand in hand with her music career, but its never BEEN her career.  

Ora is perfectly pleasant, but she's really just going to be a pretty face presenting.

That's my problem with it--she's got no real connection to the fashion industry outside of posing for some covers/articles herself. It's not like Mr. Jay or someone else who works in fashion taking over as host. I might give the premiere a watch, but I suspect it'll be too much of a train wreck to keep my interest.

Actually, (and I hate myself for knowing this) Rita has a lot of connections in the fashion world and has walked in some fashion shows. She has been the face of DKNY, Roberto Cavalli, Adidas and... Material Girl.

Also it seems Cara Delevigne will be on the show:

13658408_1717237858540403_1490612499_n.j

(or maybe they were just hanging out)

On 7/26/2016 at 2:38 PM, Saintz said:

it seems Cara Delevigne will be on the show:

Hah.  After Suicide Squad I wonder if that's something that would draw viewers or drive them away.

10 minutes ago, Mattipoo said:

They are not bringing back any of the old judges? Not even Miss Jay or Kelly Cutrone? Somehow I thought Kelly would be a surviving judge on this show until the end of time.

Miss J of all of them I might be okay with.  But really I think they want to try a total reboot (albeit a weird one with an even smaller budget and a host who's only kind of sort of part of the fashion world). 

On 7/26/2016 at 2:38 PM, Saintz said:

Actually, (and I hate myself for knowing this) Rita has a lot of connections in the fashion world and has walked in some fashion shows. She has been the face of DKNY, Roberto Cavalli, Adidas and... Material Girl.

Yeah, but its a singer/actress type "modeling" career. I mean she's only 5' 5".

There's a big ad (well, I mean it's a small billboard relatively speaking) basically with just ANTM and Rita Ora posing on it here in NYC. I don't know if this strategy is going to work. Sure, some people will probably follow this brand anywhere but they were already shedding viewers with all the changes they kept making on the cw. And I'm not sure how many people in America know who Rita Ora is. She's sort of in fashion magazines. I think she had a part in 50 Shades of Grey and maybe some other things. I really know her from when she was a judge on the X Factor UK. Seems like an odd move to bank on her to get people to watch.