Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E13: Live Finale

I liked the double-weigh in concept - it freed up time in the finale for actual conversation with all the contestants.   Bob was Bob, and I watched in spite of him.  I like him as a trainer, not so much as a host. 

Stephen did look drawn, but I bet he fits right in on the BMI/ weight-to-height charts.   Colby doesn't, but I don't think he ever will or could.  He's 'big-boned' as we like to say.  

Some of the contestants worked hard at home, some much so much.  Yes, Brittany, Richard, Whitney, and a couple others.... I'm talking to you. 

Sarah - wow!.  Erin looked great - bet she is a size 10 now.   Felicia didn't lose any weight nor her whiny personality at home. 

I hope the twins put their money to good use for their families.  They did work hard. 

• Love 1

Maybe it's the Rhode Islander in me, but I think Richard (a fellow Ocean State resident) made an excellent point about the apparent lack of mental health services on the BL ranch. Based on some of the incredibly sad back stories the contestants have had over the years -- Colby and Toy this season, and certainly Abby in hers -- emotional breakthrough sessions with the trainers are not enough. If there's an emotional/psychological trauma that is behind a contestant's weight issues, diet and exercise are only two legs of the stool. These folks need counseling and coping skills from a clinician if their weight loss is going to stick.

With that said, Stephen looked great, Colby was smart to take the cash, and as irritating as the twins could be sometimes, they earned the double win.

• Love 3

I

I only paid attention to this season because I know someone who is friends with Jacky. I was glad to see she and Stephen did so well, although they didn't win any money. I was recording this, but I was also checking on it live from time to time while doing stuff around the house.  I decided I just can't watch Bob as the host. The only at- homer I saw was Felicia.  Who dressed her for the finale?  Okay, so I am an old fuddy duddy, but I thought her "girls" might bounce out at any moment.

I was interested to read in the above comments that there is not a real counselor on staff. That just seems wrong as they seem to delight in airing the sorrows and problems of the contestants.  I am going to erase this season from my recorder; I just wish I could erase it from my mind.  I doubt I will watch another season.

Edited by Twopper

Well, there was a guy on Twitter who suspected that Bob and Jen have a secret love relationship. LOL.

Bob is gay, I doubt he's having an affair with Jen.

I was creeped out by Bob's frequent insinuations of sexual tension between Dolvett and Felicia. I think D despises her.

I've always felt Bob and Dolvett hate each other.

Predictable (and depressing) results.  Colby was smart to take the money up front.  Wanted Stephen to win but alas it was inspirational speaker in training Roberto.

• Love 2

Good for Richard calling out the lack of decent counseling for the contestants, and I am not surprise at all. They pick certain contestants for their sob stories aka Colby, Abby and Shay. They have "brainwashed" the contestants into believing they will be "cured" once they step on the ranch. They should be proud of themselves for turning into weight loss famewhores by using obese people who are desperate to lose weight.

I would like to know who choose Toy's outfit. She looked like a over the age call girl. She did lose 81 pounds, but the outfit, make up and hair did her no favors. Brittany's hair did her no favors also.. Bring in the team from What Not to Wear and get rid of the people who are behind the bad outfits, hair and makeup.

I was hoping Sarah would have won the at home prize. She and Rob were the only two contestants I could stand. Luis looked like he was stoned out of his mind. I guess the $100,000 carrot dangling in his face would make do some not smart ways to lose the weight and get the money. I thought Stephen was going to hit the floor and/or passed out. He looked too skinny in my books.  And a major UGH!!! to the twins winning both prizes. Two obnoxious on their way to turning into major famewhores winning. Oh Goody...Not!!! Hope's face made her look older than she probably is. Good call on Colby taking the money since he knew he did not have snow ball chance in you know where of winning. I think he had the most common sense of the three finalists.

Bob...Bob...Bob Telling Stephen and Jacky to get a room. Seriously! Interesting Felicia gained two pounds at home. And yes Felicia is all about you, you, you. Gag me!!! Bob saying it was a tragedy people were sent home early. Did he think they would be their forever. Oops...I forgot they like the contestants to stay so they can be dependent on the amazing healing skills of Dr. HQuackDeath, the trainers and people behind the show. No need to go home and find a healthier and more realistic way of losing weight. Thank you Bob for  reminding us about the crying over the fact teams were split up at times. You think a few of the contestants were sent to the moon for the rest of their lives instead of going home ahead of their spouses, twin brother, parent or friend. I cried less when my husband went to Seattle for a kidney transplant for almost two weeks, and I was an emotional wreck at the time.

If there's an emotional/psychological trauma that is behind a contestant's weight issues,

IF?  IF?  How can you get to that weight without one?  I don't think you get 150+ pounds overweight just by snacking too much.  This is disappointing to hear but then, it's just a reality TV show.

I think it was wise, but really brave to Colby to take the money. Remember all, they couldn't see what the other 2 looked like and they kept them separated during the show and before also.  Colby didn't know he was the heaviest one, I was praying he'd go for it.

Stephen looked like a 25 year old grad student. I can't believe he wasn't the biggest loser.  Geez did he need to get to 150 to win?  Lord...

• Love 3

Yes, a emotional/psychological trauma can lead to weight gain, but some people can use trauma as an excuse as a reason not to attempt to lose the weight. Some people will become desperate to lose weight and end up on a show as The Biggest Loser. Of course, there are people who are going through a rough time in their lives and end up losing weight. Also, bad eating habits, certain medical conditions, and certain medications can lead to weight gain also. My problem with the show is the fact they try to cure contestants by having the trainers who have no right to play armchair psychologists trying to fix the reasons why the person became obese in the first place. Someone like Colby who lost his father to suicide, Felicia with her attitude and blaming everyone including the kitchen sink, and Toy who lost her son and blames herself for his death need more specialize counseling instead of Jen, Bob and Dolvett pretending to have all the answers..

Story about the twins in their hometown paper this morning: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-biggest-loser-finale-recap-roberto-luis-hernandez-20160222-story.html

Not everyone with mental health issues gains weight, and not everyone who is heavy needs counseling. Richard Hatch probably needs some help, since he brought it up, but perhaps that was to distract attention from or rationalize his second to worst finish for the season (he lost 14 percent of his weight, and only one person lost less than that).

Does Colby's wife have a thyroid problem?

Edited by MakeMeLaugh

Hope may have a thyroid problem. I would not be surprise if more of the contestants end up with a thyroid condition. Of course, I am sure Dr. H has them convinced he can cure them of any thyroid disorder. I hope the contestants are seeing better qualified medical staff who has more common sense and actually knows what they are doing once they leave the ranch for good.

I think Hatch was saying that the contestants needed counseling, which is different than the average person at home needing counseling. These people get put through the wringer. Tax cheat or no, I like people like Richard who don't play along with bullshit.

Well, good for twin and twinner. Hopefully they'll be like the girl who got gaunt to win, and then gain about 25 lbs and keep in that range.

• Love 2

My posts on this season's threads should show that I was on Team Richard from the getgo. I just thought his comment was interesting in that he said he was getting the mental health help once he left as it wasn't a component of the show, so I took that to mean help to lose weight in general, not just for contestants on the show. And I had to laugh thinking of the producers hearing that and thinking how to have the finale not be live in the future. I definitely look forward to any tell-all Hatch might air.

Bob is gay, I doubt he's having an affair with Jen.

Yes, I know. That's why I thought it was funny. I thought everyone knew, especially since Bob outed himself on the show a couple of seasons ago.

• Love 2

Luis looked like he starved himself so severely that he gave himself brain damage. His animalistic screaming when he realized he won was very strange and, of course, highly annoying.

That was so weird. And it took both him and his brother, it seemed like several seconds to realize they had won. Like they kept on looking back and forth at the scale and then finally they were like huh well look at that I won. 

I think Colby did the right thing by choosing the temptation , and his wife knew it. 3 pounds would make no difference to him against the other two.

I agree. I was actually surprised how big he still was. Or it just looked like he didn't starve himself like the other two. I hope they are able to have their baby now. 

• Love 1

I like how Richard doesn't play by the rules and called out the show.  Like somebody else mentioned, I assumed there was a professional counselor at the ranch and they just used the trainers as counselors for TV.

Stephen looked too skinny.  In order to win, he probably would have looked like Rachel.  Then Dolvett would get blamed again.

Felicia was whiney up to the end.  Dolvett definitely needed to have patience with her.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2

Am I an absolute monster for being horrified by Hope's neck?

I fast-forwarded through most of the show, and the parts I didn't FF made me cringe. Making Toy and Colby relive their trauma again? Cringe. Watching Erin sing...AGAIN? Cringe. Watching Erin awkwardly out Bob? Cringe. Watching Colby's TWO random monologues that had nothing to do with ANYTHING (Cancer friend what?)? Cringe. Watching the world try and ship Felecia and Dolvett? Cringe. Watching Catholic and Catholic-er cross themselves for the 50 thousandth fucking time? EYEROLL followed by Cringe.

This is the first season where I just. Didn't. Care.

Also Hope's neck YOU ARE THINKING IT TOO.

• Love 7

The twins sucked up most of the angst that I hold for this show, with a bit left over for Felicia. She pushed a button of hate in me that I didn't immediately recognize, until I thought about it. She reminded me of the many snotty customers I used to have to serve in customer service. I KNOW Dolvett was feeling the same kind of dislike for her that I was, and for the same reason. She was basically a dissatisfied customer, complaining to Dolvett about his shortcomings when really she was just being unfair.

• Love 4

I didn't care for the twins.  Luis looked like he crawled out of his grave to come to the finale.  Roberto didn't look that much better.  Sarah was the one who looked the best out of all the contestants, IMHO.  I was laughing thinking about the guys who wouldn't date her when she was fat, now probably falling all over themselves to get to her now that she is so beautiful.   They really have to quit "spanxing" the women so much.  Some of them looked like they could hardly breathe.   As for Hope's neck -- I have seen other shows like this where the doctors have said that such chubbiness around a neck might indicate diabetes.  I don't know if Dr. H said anything about this.   Maybe Colby can help her lose some more weight, and someone could kindly tell her that her hairdo isn't doing her any favors.  If Felicia was twice as cute as she thinks she is, she'd still be unattractive due to her personality.  

• Love 2

Sarah lost winning the at home prize by one lousy pound. Darn it. I would have loved to see her win. She was radiant and healthy, and completely coherent on stage. Can't say the same for Luis who was probably peeing blood by the end just to beat out everyone else.

• Love 2

I have a feeling that today is POSOLE DAY in the twins homes.

Right from the start I assumed Hope had PCO (polycystic ovary disease) because she had a such a large middle, had thinning hairline and was infertile.  Lets hope those pounds she lost help them out in conceiving.

• Love 2

Well, dammit. Our DVR blanked  on us on the FINALE! EEEK! And as of today, it is not on On Demand.

If you have a mobile device, you can download the NBC app and watch it that way. That is how I re-watched it to catch all the things I missed the first time around but were mentioned on these boards, such as Richard's mental health comment.

• Love 1

Am I an absolute monster for being horrified by Hope's neck?

I fast-forwarded through most of the show, and the parts I didn't FF made me cringe. Making Toy and Colby relive their trauma again? Cringe. Watching Erin sing...AGAIN? Cringe. Watching Erin awkwardly out Bob? Cringe. Watching Colby's TWO random monologues that had nothing to do with ANYTHING (Cancer friend what?)? Cringe. Watching the world try and ship Felecia and Dolvett? Cringe. Watching Catholic and Catholic-er cross themselves for the 50 thousandth fucking time? EYEROLL followed by Cringe.

This is the first season where I just. Didn't. Care.

Also Hope's neck YOU ARE THINKING IT TOO.

I feel for her. I too gain in my face and neck first and it always makes people think I am bigger than I am.

Right from the start I assumed Hope had PCO (polycystic ovary disease) because she had a such a large middle, had thinning hairline and was infertile

I think this is what she has, they replayed her doctor visit where she learned she had doubled her chances of getting pregnant due to 10% weight loss.  She's lost more total now, right? Total of 15 or more %?

I don't bear the twins any ill will.  Now they can be better examples and motivate their students.  I am concerned that they as teachers don't speak English any better than they do (and yes, I know that is politically incorrect) - they were born here? or did  they immigrate (in which case, they speak English better than I should complain about)?. 

I don't bear the twins any ill will.  Now they can be better examples and motivate their students.  I am concerned that they as teachers don't speak English any better than they do (and yes, I know that is politically incorrect) - they were born here? or did  they immigrate (in which case, they speak English better than I should complain about)?.

I think the Twins' English is fine. They have the accent of people who grow up speaking Spanish at home, then learn English a little older. It can be a jungle in the Chicago public school system, where only the poorest don't attend private schools. I'm not Hisoanic, but my aunt's husband was Puerto Rican, and all of his American born nieces and nephews talk like the twins, and were born and raised in the Chicago suburbs. It's certainly not a reflection on their education or abilities as teachers. I'm sure they are surrounded by children with similar backgrounds who look at them as role models.
  • Love 2

Redhead Zombie - thank you for your answer.  although I do live within a day of Chicago, I hadn't thought that their school might be in one of the Hispanic neighborhoods.  I should have realized that if they speak Spanish more than they do English, that they would have an accent even if they grew up here. 

• Love 1

Well, good for twin and twinner. Hopefully they'll be like the girl who got gaunt to win, and then gain about 25 lbs and keep in that range.

I guess it's just me, but both twins still looked chubby to me. There's no comparison to Rachel at all.  Stephen and Erin were the only ones who I thought looked really great. Sarah looked good too and dropped a huge amount of weight, but she has that body type where her legs will always be big. I was really surprised by how short the twins are. Several inches shorter than Stephen and only about as tall as Jen.

I will always love Hope for the way she stomped around like a trucker in that dress and heels. I wish for once one of those women would be like Fuck that! I'm wearing skinny jeans and some Chucks.

I guess I'm in the minority and actually didn't mind bob as host. I loved him as a trainer too though I admit all his omg's were a little much.

The twins winning both prizes was annoying. I don't wish them ill will or anything but predictable and annoying. I thought a lot of the contestants looked great at the finale. The women in particular. Usually I find the men much better looking at the finale. Maybe they had a better stylist? I was amazed at Sarah and was hoping she had it in the bag. Jackie looked great. Lindsey (i think???), the crossfit person had some great muscle. Whitney I thought looked great in her outfit so I was surprised that her percentage weight loss wasn't as high as I was thinking.

Oh and Colby, I was chanting at the tv hit the buzzer, hit the buzzer, so I was really happy that he got some money.

I'd like to thank you all for allowing me to not watch this on the Hulu. This season has been really bad. Perhaps it's the law of diminishing returns, but I didn't think America would ever run out of entertaining fat folks. I'm certainly one, but for some reason I don't make for good TV.

Goodbye, TBL...see ya in Hell!

I think for the most part everyone looked good. Luis may have lost a bit too much, but not enough to cause concern in my opinion. I did feel horrible for Hope and that chin, her body actually looked really good but the chin was still there. That was unfortunate (I know, I hate myself but I feel a little better I'm not the only one that noticed). Colby's jacket was too small and they both probably still have quite a bit of weight to lose, but they seem like a good couple and I hope they can have their baby.

Stephen looked hot & I don't mind saying it! Jacky looked great as well.

Felicia and Dolvett, I don't know but there was a lot of weirdness going on. I'm glad it's over. It was uncomfortable.

I didn't recognize Sarah, she looked terrific and her dad is very handsome as well. I thought Erin looked good in her dress but the makeup is terrible.

I think the stylists that work on this show hate Jenn.

Good for Richard for calling out the show on not having mental health counselors. I know the trainers sometimes provide this role, but it's obvious most if not all contestants on this show have some sort of traumatic event that has triggered or at least contributed to them becoming morbidly obese. Mental health is most definitely a necessity.

I would also like to see more about what the contestants eat during their time on the ranch, because sometimes we see them working out like beasts but they only lose a pound or two. Diet is the most important aspect of good health. You can work out all day long but if you eat like shit guess what the weight ain't coming/staying off.

Double twin win was not a happy outcome for me but I expected it.  Stop preaching at me, Roberto!  Still, Stephen looks great and I wish him and Jacky the best.  Nice people.

What I really felt sorry for was the poor little animal who lost his life so he could lay on top of Bob's head.

Edited by limecoke

Im glad I am not the only one who could not stand the twins, they are just so smug especially Roberto!! Did anyone notice he was counting or mumbling to himself during the last minute Temptation Challenge? Im pretty sure he was counting down the clock, what was with that? They are probably my least favorite winners next to Jeremy Britt.

Stephen looked good but he was very close to Rachel territory. Most likely he will put more weight back on though.

Im glad Colby(?) chose the money. That was very smart of him to do, why Bob acted so surprised..idk.

Felicia was ruder than her usual. "Its about me tonight!' Gee..thats probably why Bob was asking you a question, ABOUT YOURSELF!

Bob was an okay host but his timing was pretty off. He was either going too fast and not allowing the contestants to speak or react. OR he was going to slow with reading his lines making things awkward.

And lastly, most of the contestants looked..well..okay. One girl only lost 33 pounds in total, YIKES! Overall this season may just end up being my last. I've been consistently watching since 2010 and I just couldnt get into this season. The producers are truly starting to treat the contestants like livestock.

I liked the twins so I was happy with the results.  However, I wasn't as invested this season.  Two hours for two episodes is more reasonable then when they do two hours for a single episode, but it was still too much BL in one night.  Also, too much Bob.  

You can tell NBC still holds part of Erin's contract and that's why Bob just LOVES that mediocre song.  

Richard went on the show because he's addicted to being on tv.  I don't feel badly for him at all.

Starting to?

LOL yeah I guess what I meant to say was its starting to become more apparent that the contestants are treated like livestock. Before it was like NBC was trying to create a family atmosphere but now its like all hats are off "Lets get this crying scene done.", "Dolvett, make sure you yell at each contestant in a caring way.", "Bob, make sure you ask that one contestant about their dad dying again". Soon they're going to be wresting in chocolate pudding and whomever loses has to eat 500 calories worth of it and the winner gets to read a letter from their families.

Edited by Dicey
  • Love 1

I thought Sarah looked great. Luis had that plucked chicken look, as did Steven. That looks like an unhealthy loss to me.

I didn't hate the twins this season so good on them for winning. But there should be a way of gauging unhealthy loss vs healthy loss. In that case Sarah should have won.

Felicia's "it's about me!" comment reminded me why I hated her so much.

Hope's double chin- yikes. She looks like she has lost weight overall except in her neck.

Loved Richard's snarky mental health comment. It's too bad he left the show so soon, I think he made it interesting.

I don't hate Bob as host, I'd rather hear him than Allison's awkward pauses & shouting.

I wish they had better stylists on the show. Just because you have lost weight doesn't mean you have to dress in too small, ill fitting clothes.

• Love 2