Type keyword(s) to search

Gabriela "Gabby" Dawson: Love her, hate her

• Start Topic

On 17/05/2018 at 12:50 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

The best scenes on this show have always been when Matt and Kelly shared the scene, whether at a fire or in the House or off duty. I so hope we get back to that.  Because swoon.

C047AB3E-64A8-46E0-838F-484AE51266E9.png

Yes! Sevasey have always been the best scenes in Chicago Fire but TPTB just dont seem to have got that yet, even after 6 seasons. And we dont suppose that season 7 will be any different as they are still trying to push in house romance down our throats. They seem to think that is all the viewers want for some reason.

Is anyone else out there looking forward to a Gabby-less season 7? Hope it's not just me!

• Love 2

She or perhaps the actress who played her became so needy. Everything started to focus around Gabby. Stupid storylines started to be written just to make Gabby the centre of attention. 

I can't say I hate her but I am happy she has left the show all the same. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I don't know where to put this but I would think it'd be best here. 

Sometimes I wonder if Derek realizes a monster he created with Dawson leaving and almost every week someone asks, 'is Dawson coming back'. 😂

I'm so glad you posted this! I like that he does the Sunday question thing, but the incessant Dawson questions... 😶

Since he answers their questions, I'm assuming he's gratified by the continued obsession with his fave character. I'm annoyed by the constant Brett bashing and slut-shaming, as if Brett hooking up with Casey would be "doing" something to Dawson. There are a ton of things potentially "wrong" with Brasey, but Brett and Casey needing to worry about Dawson's feelings ain't one of them. At this point, I think those fans would prefer Casey become a cloistered man nun somewhere, until Queen Gabby deems him worthy of her presence once more. I'm over here thinking, "They only got together 'cause Casey was emotionally destroyed by Hallie's death and then had a brain injury...and they only got back together 'cause she was pregnant and Casey was emotionally destroyed by murdering a sex trafficker...and they only got married so they could defraud DCFS..."

I wish they would have killed her off and put the whole thing to rest. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, cbsspecialreport said:

I'm so glad you posted this! I like that he does the Sunday question thing, but the incessant Dawson questions... 😶

Since he answers their questions, I'm assuming he's gratified by the continued obsession with his fave character. I'm annoyed by the constant Brett bashing and slut-shaming, as if Brett hooking up with Casey would be "doing" something to Dawson. There are a ton of things potentially "wrong" with Brasey, but Brett and Casey needing to worry about Dawson's feelings ain't one of them. At this point, I think those fans would prefer Casey become a cloistered man nun somewhere, until Queen Gabby deems him worthy of her presence once more. I'm over here thinking, "They only got together 'cause Casey was emotionally destroyed by Hallie's death and then had a brain injury...and they only got back together 'cause she was pregnant and Casey was emotionally destroyed by murdering a sex trafficker...and they only got married so they could defraud DCFS..."

I wish they would have killed her off and put the whole thing to rest. 

Twitter is just a fraction of the fanbase, unfortunately it seems to be where the absolute worst of them reside. I think they are all about 14 or at least have the mental age of teenagers. 

What's even more amusing is many of them abused, subtweeted, take thinly veiled swipes and ridiculed Lindsay (PD) fans when she left, telling them to get over it, she's gone etc and how much better the show is without her yet here we are a year later still harping on about Dawson like she's the second coming. Guess what? The same could be said for Fire, so much better now that the sun & moon don't rotate around Dawson.

At this stage I'd be happy for Brett and Casey to hook up just to watch them actually explode. It'd be carnage. They are that pathetic I'm sure they'd have to hire more security on set to keep the idiots at bay.

• Love 3

I liked Gabby at the very beginning, I liked the chemistry between her and shay. She was feisty but loyal. They turned her into the most self absorbed narcissist possible in later seasons. It really started to grate on me how she would just tell Casey that she was doing something huge without even a hint of a discussion first. I’m adopting Louie, I’m taking in Bria, I’m moving my dad in, I’m having a baby even though it might kill me...... 

• Love 2
On 10/15/2019 at 7:15 AM, Tallulah7606 said:

I liked Gabby at the very beginning, I liked the chemistry between her and shay. She was feisty but loyal. They turned her into the most self absorbed narcissist possible in later seasons. It really started to grate on me how she would just tell Casey that she was doing something huge without even a hint of a discussion first. I’m adopting Louie, I’m taking in Bria, I’m moving my dad in, I’m having a baby even though it might kill me...... 

I don't think you are alone, the majority of people probably liked her at the start it was the way she dominated every storyline, and became the Mary-Sue of Fire & they way she ran rough shod over everyone including her husband that turned people off. 

The writers must take the blame for the hate Gabby received and I don't blame the Monica for bailing, I'm sure she hated what Gabby became as much as the sane part of the fanbase did as well. 

Monica as an actress did a good job portraying a truly awful character towards the end. 

Edited by Guildford
Just spelling
  • Love 2

What's sad is that they've written Casey so miserably for the past 1.5 years that I'm almost relieved. If he's happiest being whipped and walked on and abandoned by a head-stuck-up-ass narcissist, then let him be happy. 

• LOL 1

I am a female FF/medic, I was on truck for 9 years, until an injury sustained on the job forced me to use my paramedic training on ambulance. This is what I have to say regarding Gabby......

I’ve actually only been watching this online, for a few months and am currently in S5. I initially was excited to watch a show, that portrayed female FF’s. Now it makes me nauseous, to watch Gabby’s disgraceful behavior. I actually end up, fast forwarding through many of the scenes with Gabby.

Talk about conduct unbecoming. She would never survive in a real fire house. 
Her snarky, overbearing attitude would never be tolerated. She shows such disrespect, to the uniform and the chain of command. And would have gotten herself fired a long time ago, for insubordination.

Someone above (Neurochick I think), mentioned few WOC on tv in starring roles, and I agree. However, I don’t think we should be celebrating a character, that portrays women in such a distasteful manner. Just because, she’s WOC in a leading role. 
This character gives WOC and female FF’s a bad name. And, thumbs their nose at the true heroines of the fire department, by making a character with with such ungracious behavior, the champion of the show.

I think that the show has done a real disservice to female FF’s and WOC. They had a real chance to show female FF’s, as valuable assets to fire houses. But they chose, to make women look insufferable and ill-suited for the fire department. 

Edited by Firegirl
Insertion of a word
  • Love 4
On 11/6/2019 at 10:53 AM, Firegirl said:

I am a female FF/medic, I was on truck for 9 years, until an injury sustained on the job forced me to use my paramedic training on ambulance. This is what I have to say regarding Gabby......

I’ve actually only been watching this online, for a few months and am currently in S5. I initially was excited to watch a show, that portrayed female FF’s. Now it makes me nauseous, to watch Gabby’s disgraceful behavior. I actually end up, fast forwarding through many of the scenes with Gabby.

Talk about conduct unbecoming. She would never survive in a real fire house. 
Her snarky, overbearing attitude would never be tolerated. She shows such disrespect, to the uniform and the chain of command. And would have gotten herself fired a long time ago, for insubordination.

Someone above (Neurochick I think), mentioned few WOC on tv in starring roles, and I agree. However, I don’t think we should be celebrating a character, that portrays women in such a distasteful manner. Just because, she’s WOC in a leading role. 
This character gives WOC and female FF’s a bad name. And, thumbs their nose at the true heroines of the fire department, by making a character with with such ungracious behavior, the champion of the show.

I think that the show has done a real disservice to female FF’s and WOC. They had a real chance to show female FF’s, as valuable assets to fire houses. But they chose, to make women look insufferable and ill-suited for the fire department. 

Finally, we get the perspective of an actual female FF/medic. You're validating what many of us viewers have been saying for years. Gabby as a firefighter was just a joke because she didn't showcase the female firefighter. She showcased her overbearing, bossy, "I'm always right" mindset. Not to mention, the relationship drama she kept bringing to the house. Leaving shift early just because she couldn't handle her boyfriend coming down hard on her for a bad mistake she made on a call. I just could never take her seriously as a firefighter.

• Love 2

On 1/21/2018 at 11:54 PM, belletane said:

The Gabby Dawson character is just rude, obnoxious, self centred  and narcissistic. And for whatever reason Derek Haas seems to think that is what 'the fans' want and if twitter were to be believed that would be the case because that is where her fans hang out. But he hadnt reckoned with the people who don't  like dawson biting back had he? now he's getting a truer picture of things. She needs to leave the show.  After all she is a detective, an arson investigator and a structural engineer as well. She  could get another job elsewhere and the showrunners could find someone for Casey who actually deserves him.!

Couldn't agree more.  Please take her out forever.  I dont want her to appear anymore in season 8 or any future seasons. 

I cringe every time I see her in a romantic scene. I just do not think that she's attractive or desirable. For example, I watched Chicago PD and I loved Erin Lindsay and Jay Halstead. They looked so sweet together and the chemistry was always there. I cringed when I saw Dawson with Jay earlier in the Chicago Fire. She's unattractive to me and I just do not see her as a hot babe that all these guys are head-over-heels and hot-to-trot to be with her. Each love scene - each kissing scene to me is Yuck. She just does not have it: sex appeal 

On 4/6/2014 at 2:13 AM, coloradoqt said:

Didn't like her as ADA on the good wife.like her even less as a EMT/Firefighter, Even less because she sleeps with every man she has a working relationship, well at least 3 so far.

She is not a good actress - at all - and her character is annoying. She is also not good looking person regardless how much the writers to to write that into the script. 

• Love 1
On 1/10/2020 at 12:36 AM, Dowel Jones said:

I thought I saw a preview showing Monica Raymund as the lead in a new series, but I have forgotten the name.  So maybe Gabby is gone.

Her new series is called Hightown that's set to premier on Starz.

I also saw she directed an episode of FBI a few months ago. This after directing an episode of SVU early last season right after she left Fire. So it seems Monica still has some pull to direct episodes in the Dick Wolf universe.

On 3/20/2020 at 11:39 AM, Ailianna said:

I keep thinking that the bright side of the shutdown is that they aren't going to be able to bring Dawsom back pregnant this season.  Silver lining, if you ask me.

I’m new to Chicago Fire. I’ve heard people talk about it but never watched.   I just started binge watching during the shutdown and during the first two seasons I fully fully in Dawson’s corner.  By end of season three into season four I’m thinking it should be called The Gabby Dawson Show.  UGH!!!  Is she a paramedic?  Is she a firefighter?  A wanna be doctor?  Now into season five, she’s an investigator tracking down a guy with a hero complex.  And the way she’s jerked poor Casey around....he deserves better.  Now Severide...totally yummy.

• Love 3

Monica Raymund's new show on Starz, Hightown, just premiered Sunday and seems not bad. And if that's the case, we may not have to worry anymore about Gabby coming back.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:19 PM, MssdDrms said:

I’m new to Chicago Fire. I’ve heard people talk about it but never watched.   I just started binge watching during the shutdown and during the first two seasons I fully fully in Dawson’s corner.  By end of season three into season four I’m thinking it should be called The Gabby Dawson Show.  UGH!!!  Is she a paramedic?  Is she a firefighter?  A wanna be doctor?  Now into season five, she’s an investigator tracking down a guy with a hero complex.  And the way she’s jerked poor Casey around....he deserves better.  Now Severide...totally yummy.

They killed off the wrong paramedic. Shay was the character that seemed to be able to keep Gabby in check keep her from dominating storylines. With Shay gone, it gave Gabby free reign, which was so unfortunate.

• Love 3
On 5/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, WinJet0819 said:

Monica Raymund's new show on Starz, Hightown, just premiered Sunday and seems not bad. And if that's the case, we may not have to worry anymore about Gabby coming back.

Now we definitely don't have to worry as Hightown was given an early renewal for Season 2.

• Love 1