Type keyword(s) to search

Gabriela "Gabby" Dawson: Love her, hate her

• Start Topic

On 23/10/2017 at 5:43 PM, CoyoteBlue said:

And her husband making captain is all about her. God forbid he get a moment in the spotlight.

Of course it was all about her and it's sickening. The whole show has degenerated into The Dawson Show now and is boring as hell with lazy writing, not much action and about 10 ten times more Dawson than there should ever be. l feel sorry for the rest of the cast because there is only so much they can do with the material they are faced with. and Dawson sticking her unwanted nose into almost every damn storyline doesnt help the show's viewing figures either. They need to look back at season 1 and 2 and work out what went wrong...shouldnt be too hard really. We've been able to see it for a long time.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

I do find it sad that most people seem to like the Dawson eccentric stories. 

Only Dawson twitter fans like her whatever she does and they vocally cheer her every crusade. Elsewhere, people are sick and tired of Chicago Fire turning into the Gabby show. CF's Facebook page is full of negative comments...

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Pallada said:

Only Dawson twitter fans like her whatever she does and they vocally cheer her every crusade. Elsewhere, people are sick and tired of Chicago Fire turning into the Gabby show. CF's Facebook page is full of negative comments...

Okay, that's good they say something on the CF FB page and I hope the writers see that. 

• Love 1

When you do post anti-Gabby messages on Facebook, you get huffy, high and mighty Gabby "fans" telling you to stop watching if you don't like the show.  Is it so wrong to care enough about a show to want to change it for the better?  I dunno, some people!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ukgirl71 said:

When you do post anti-Gabby messages on Facebook, you get huffy, high and mighty Gabby "fans" telling you to stop watching if you don't like the show.  Is it so wrong to care enough about a show to want to change it for the better?  I dunno, some people!

Yeah, I noticed that. That is pretty sad when people do that. 

• Love 1

Chicago Fire is very much an ensemble show.  I'm going to keep watching it because I like all of the other characters; I'm not going to stop watching it just because I don't like one.  They can tell me to stop watching all they want, but that's ridiculous!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ukgirl71 said:

Hahaha they do this ALL the time on twitter as well! It's their standard answer to any anti-Gabby messages or posts - they don't have anything else in their armory. It isn't wrong to want to try and change the show for the better but they cannot or will not see dawson for what she really is and that is sad! l will still watch it for Jesse and the rest of the cast but dawson is just completely irredeemable now!  The showrunners are obsessed with her the way she is so l guess they will just never change her for the better now. Too late! There is no end to the sanctimony of the gabby 'fans'. lol

I never used to see it much either, but it's definitely in my face now this whole season. The last few episodes just have me rolling my eyes. And I wouldn't mind so much if Gabby was likeable, but damn, she's so smug and rude and self-righteous. I can't stand it.

• Love 6
On 30/01/2018 at 4:06 AM, jewel21 said:

I never used to see it much either, but it's definitely in my face now this whole season. The last few episodes just have me rolling my eyes. And I wouldn't mind so much if Gabby was likeable, but damn, she's so smug and rude and self-righteous. I can't stand it.

You are spot on and l couldnt have put this better myself. l really detest the Grabby character now and she just spoils the whole show. She is smug with a constant sneer on her face, self centred, rude and manipulative. Also l cant stand the way they write Casey giving in to her all the time and being her doormat. The writers seem to think that she is kickass and badass - for which read obnoxious and rude!  It's not the Chicago Fire l became a fan of that's for sure. Which is a great shame. Its been spoiled. That is shown in the dropping ratings.  

• Love 2

l wonder what sort of an outcry there would be if Casey treated his wife like she treats him? Some would consider it abuse. So sick of seeing the wonderful Casey being led around by the you-know-whats by his wife and sadder still that the show runner has made things this way. Sick of seeing her meddle in everything going. Its not the Grabby Dawson Show and we are fed up of seeing her smug arrogant sneer. The only reasons for him putting up with her behaviour are the fact that he had a rotten childhood and he is frightened of being alone, and that he had a traumatic brain injury and it has clearly affected his judgement where she is concerned. Not the show we fell in love with. Hate the whole 'dawsey' thing and just wish Casey could free himself of this leech because she has sucked the life out of him and is gradually sucking life out of the show as well. She has no chemistry with anyone and just needs to go away permanently.

Edited by belletane
  • Love 1
On 1/22/2018 at 7:23 AM, ukgirl71 said:

So unless you like every single character and storyline, you shouldn't watch a show?? If that happened, every show would get cancelled due to no viewers...

On a related note, as I mentioned on the episode thread, I just read a post critical of Gabby and Matt's relationship. It was immediately followed by an ad for mental health services. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

So unless you like every single character and storyline, you shouldn't watch a show?? If that happened, every show would get cancelled due to no viewers...

On a related note, as I mentioned on the episode thread, I just read a post critical of Gabby and Matt's relationship. It was immediately followed by an ad for mental health services. 

Also, don't you know, if you don't like Gabby apparently you are a racist...

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Guildford said:

Ah yes - the old racist card that the Grabby fans come back with! Her rotten behaviour has NOTHING whatever to do with her race, her colour, her creed or anything else. It is the fault of the writers l guess and l assume it doesn't reflect the actress herself. The writers make the character horrible and they have made Casey into her lapdog and doormat. So they need to get their heads out of the sand because if all the people who just detest one character in a show stopped watching it (as the Grabby fans usually suggest) then just about every show would tank! 

And on another point regarding Grabby, her adoring fans tend to be young girls and young women who think Grabby and Casey are perfect star - crossed lovers, and so they cant see the mature side of things and how rotten and toxic the relationship actually is. They congregate on twitter because that is where the guy who runs CF hangs out on social media and they love to interact with him. Think it massages his ego to have them there adoring everything including him. If he took a look at other social media like Facebook (where the majority of posts are anti-Grabby) he would see the REAL opinion of her that's out there. Also he needs to look at this site and at Spoiler TV. Then he would get the bigger picture rather than the little tiny bubble that is twitter.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2018 at 6:01 PM, belletane said:

And on another point regarding Grabby, her adoring fans tend to be young girls and young women who think Grabby and Casey are perfect star - crossed lovers, and so they cant see the mature side of things and how rotten and toxic the relationship actually is. They congregate on twitter because that is where the guy who runs CF hangs out on social media and they love to interact with him. Think it massages his ego to have them there adoring everything including him. If he took a look at other social media like Facebook (where the majority of posts are anti-Grabby) he would see the REAL opinion of her that's out there. Also he needs to look at this site and at Spoiler TV. Then he would get the bigger picture rather than the little tiny bubble that is twitter.

I thought some other 'shippers' were bad.....this bunch of twits blow them out of the water. I can't believe how juvenile, obnoxious and hypocritical they are. It's funny to watch them get their panties in a twist.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Guildford said:

I thought some other 'shippers' were bad.....this bunch of twits blow them out of the water. I can't believe how juvenile, obnoxious and hypocritical they are. It's funny to watch them get their panties in a twist.

Thing is their behaviour is juvenile because they are! Totally obnoxious and  real bunch of twits. And it is funny to watch them get their panties in a twist when someone criticises their beloved Grabby. They worship her so she must be wonderful! Hysterical. But the show runner should know better and he doesn't. Sad to see this show go so far downhill from what it used to be. Oh well. l doubt it'll get more than one more season anyway, especially if Grabby and Casey have a baby together. Bleugh! Worst thing that could happen to this show. Love Casey. Hate Grabby. They are a total mismatch and no chemistry at all due to Grabby. Nothing there. 

Edited by belletane
2 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Could We actually get that lucky??

We are ALL keeping our fingers crossed that Dawson is killed or somehow leaves the show by other means! That leaves Casey free to have a family with someone who actually DESERVES him! So l hope we ARE that lucky!

(edited)
On 4/24/2018 at 11:12 PM, Guildford said:

Misogynoir in fandoms is a real thing. I've seen it in more than a few fandoms, especially if the BW's love interest is a white guy.  Personally, I am not always quick to dismiss it.  

That said, I think folks have been pretty blunt with the problematic writing for Gabby and what their issues are with how the show sees her. I like Gabby more than not but her writing really has gone downhill the last few seasons and she was inserted in to a lot of stories where she wasn't needed. I definitely got whiff's of Mary Sue writing for her the last two seasons. And I started to get really tired of how Matt was always capitulating to her desires while she disregarded his feelings. That's not how a partnership should work, IMO.

I think Monica Raymund is a good actress but Chicago Fire went overboard with the writing for Gabby these last couple of seasons. I can't say I will miss her if only cause I need a break from the character. I wish the actress well and I look forward to seeing how TPTB will write for other characters in Gabby's absence. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
cause there is not their
  • Love 5
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Jaded said:

It's official!!

She's gone!!!

I...can't even find the words to express my joy. I'm in a state of absolute shock.

But I have one thought. This opens up SO MANY POSSIBILITIES NOW! For everyone! For Casey! For Sylvie! For new characters! For Casey to find his voice again! OMG. I shouldn't be as happy as I am about this but I am literally SCREAMING.

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 5

I just hope DoorMatt gets he testicles back before she leaves. And please, show, don't just write her out, but actually kill her character off--preferably on camera--so we know that's the end of Saint Gabby once and for all. 

• Love 2

I have read the proclamations of glee on this site. I understand the hard feelings we all have for the character of Gabby. I just ask that in your glee you remember that there is an actor who has for the last few years put her heart and soul into this character. Understand that she had no control over the words put in her mouth. She has done an exceptional job of portraying Gabby, that's why we all feel the way we do. When she made the decision to leave, what an amount of courage that took to walk away from a hit tv show and a livelihood. We are glad the character is leaving but we need to thank Monica for making her come to life. Hopefully Gabby will put Casey's balls in his locker on her way out. 

Thank you Monica.

I will now put up my force field for protection. 

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Reality police said:

I have read the proclamations of glee on this site. I understand the hard feelings we all have for the character of Gabby. I just ask that in your glee you remember that there is an actor who has for the last few years put her heart and soul into this character. Understand that she had no control over the words put in her mouth. She has done an exceptional job of portraying Gabby, that's why we all feel the way we do. When she made the decision to leave, what an amount of courage that took to walk away from a hit tv show and a livelihood. We are glad the character is leaving but we need to thank Monica for making her come to life. Hopefully Gabby will put Casey's balls in his locker on her way out. 

Thank you Monica.

I totally agree with you and it made me think. What if she didn't like the storylines anymore or she noticed some resentment in some of the cast because they were in the back seat while she was always font and center for the last few years? What if she didn't like being in the limelight like that and would rather be in the shadows? 

I do wish her the best. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Reality police said:

Thank you Monica.

No force field needed here! It's the Dawson character l hated not the actress, and that is the writer's responsibility, not hers. It is probably a shame they did make her so horrible but that is the thing with being an actor, you more or less have to do what you're told to do! l have nothing against Monica Raymund and l think she will continue to be a big star. Just hated the character she played in CF!

30 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I don't think anyone has an issue with Monica - it's purely Gabby and the writing. 

Best name ever.

None of us ever had an issue with MR, simply with Dawson! And that was due to how the show was written. And it could have been so different if the writers and showrunner Derek Haas had allowed it to be!

Edited by belletane
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Misogynoir in fandoms is a real thing. I've seen it in more than a few fandoms, especially if the BW's love interest is a white guy.  Personally, I am not always quick to dismiss it.  That said, I think folks have been pretty blunt with the problematic writing for Gabby and where there issues are with how the show sees her. I like Gabby more than not but her writing really has gone downhill the last few seasons and she was inserted in to a lot of stories where she wasn't needed. I definitely got whiff's of Mary Sue writing for her the last two seasons. And I started to get really tired of how Matt was always capitulating to her desires while she disregarded his feelings. That's not how a partnership should work, IMO.

I think Monica Raymund is a good actress but Chicago Fire went overboard with the writing for Gabby these last couple of seasons. I can't say I will miss her if only cause I need a break from the character. I wish the actress well and I look forward to seeing how TPTB will write for other characters in Gabby's absence. 

The writing and running of the whole show has gone downhill in the last 3 years sadly and it needs a new runner and writing team to get it back on its feet!

(edited)
38 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I don't think anyone has an issue with Monica - it's purely Gabby and the writing. 

Best name ever.

Yes, and I can tell the difference between a character and an actor. I've not seen one post criticizing Monica Raymund the actor. In fact, I will happily watch her in her next venture after she crawls out of the Mary Sue suit the writers forced her to wear. 

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 6

I remembered the first season promo photos where she looked so hot then over time... the writers handcuffed her to stupid adoption drama.

It was all over the map for GD but I still like the actress & I blame it on the writers for cheap tricks to try to get out of the Pandora’s Box of Stupidity. 

Fair enough? ??

• Love 1
7 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I just hope DoorMatt gets he testicles back before she leaves. And please, show, don't just write her out, but actually kill her character off--preferably on camera--so we know that's the end of Saint Gabby once and for all. 

I say don't kill her because then I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the name of Firehouse 51 to the Gaby Dawson memorial firehouse.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have no problem with Monica herself it's Gabby who became a giant PITA. I quit watching the show regularly because of Gabby until the middle of this past season. I ended up watching again because not much else was on at that time.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 5

So happy Matt finally grew a pair before at the end and pushed back against Gabby. This was the first time. And of course Gabby goes about acting betrayed and hurt when Matt finally decides NOT to go along with her decision. Monica Raymund is a nice actress, but I won't miss her character. It's time for Matt to stand on his own again.

• Love 3

I actually love Monica. I really wish that she had come to this decision earlier so she could have booked another role in time for the upcoming fall season. There’s an opening in ABC’s new drama “A Million Little Things”, maybe she’ll go out for it. Either way I look forward to seeing what she does next.

I didn’t think it needed to be said. Monica and Gabby are two different entities, one fictional one real. People that can’t separate fantasy from reality are very weird. My dislike of the Dawson character has nothing to do with Monica and everything to do with the writers.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, doLLish said:

I actually love Monica. I really wish that she had come to this decision earlier so she could have booked another role in time for the upcoming fall season. There’s an opening in ABC’s new drama “A Million Little Things”, maybe she’ll go out for it. Either way I look forward to seeing what she does next.

I didn’t think it needed to be said. Monica and Gabby are two different entities, one fictional one real. People that can’t separate fantasy from reality are very weird. My dislike of the Dawson character has nothing to do with Monica and everything to do with the writers.

My understanding is that she was contracted to the end of season 6 so lm guessing she would have had no choice but to complete filming on that and then she could announce she would not be back. So she probably was too late to book another role for fall season, l don't know. However the wailing and hysteria of the dawson fans is totally ridiculous and they need to grow up. Surely even the younger ones can work out the difference between real life people and ficitonal ones? And as for the stupid 'Monesse' thing?  Oh dear!

1 hour ago, belletane said:

My understanding is that she was contracted to the end of season 6 so lm guessing she would have had no choice but to complete filming on that and then she could announce she would not be back. So she probably was too late to book another role for fall season, l don't know. However the wailing and hysteria of the dawson fans is totally ridiculous and they need to grow up. Surely even the younger ones can work out the difference between real life people and ficitonal ones? And as for the stupid 'Monesse' thing?  Oh dear!

9 hours ago, doLLish said:

I made the comment because it was IMO it was getting a little ugly. I agree we should all be able to differentiate between fictional and real. It just bothered me that people were so happy about the character being gone. Just wanted to remind us that there is an actor behind her that worked hard to portray her to the best of her abilities. Sorry if I'm going on and on but I felt people should think about that as they posted. I have seen more positivity since. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Is she leaving of her own volition or did the show decide to take another direction? Or perhaps since she was ostensibly the female lead, maybe her contract demands were too high at renewal time. I'm curious whether she jumped or if she was pushed out the apparatus bay doors.

I really liked her character back in season 2 (??), when she was training to become a firefighter, and ultimately made it. That wasn't a bad story at all, and if they'd kept her on truck, or if they'd integrate Engine into the show, on that rig and treated her like any other FF then I probably wouldn't have had as much of a problem with Gabby. Her departure also leaves a gaping hole in the Chicago universe, since Antonio on PD will be affected (or should, if there's even the slightest bit of continuity. Ahem.), not just DoorMatt™.

On the other hand I'm interested to see how much anguish Casey is going to go through this fall as a result, and how he'll come out the other side. Some potential for Jesse Spencer to hit a few home runs if the writing of Gabby's departure is up to snuff. I have to wonder, will he still be single at the end of next season or will he get a new love interest? Worst case scenario, this is a massive psych-out for the fans, and Her Magnificence returns in a Very Special Episode during the November sweeps or something.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 1
(edited)

i don't really get how posters being happy that a horribly written character is being written off the show insults the actress? She has nothing to do with how Gabby is written. If we were insulting Gabbys appearance or something that includes the actress I'd get it but every comment makes reference to how the characterisation and writing only. 

Was her leaving of her own volition or did the show decide to take another direction? 

Monica's exit was her own choice. Wouldn't totally shock me if she's as sick of Gabby as everyone else.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

On the other hand I'm interested to see how much anguish Casey is going to go through this fall as a result, and how he'll come out the other side. Some potential for Jesse Spencer to hit a few home runs if the writing of Gabby's departure is up to snuff. I have to wonder, will he still be single at the end of next season or will he get a new love interest?

I totally see him whoring it up for a while a la Severide, something bad happens, he snaps out of it, then has a big dramatic moment about how he doesn't know how to get over Gabby. He then begins the process of healing and moving on towards normalcy. A new somewhat serious love interest by the end of the season.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

i don't really get how posters being happy that a horribly written character is being written off the show insults the actress? She has nothing to do with how Gabby is written.

I agree. Now compare Gabby to Shay. Shay's character was OK, but the actress just doesn't click for me. Not then as Shay, and not recently as the supposedly romantic lead on the now-cancelled Lucifer. German just can't act very well, or at least, she has a hard time connecting with the audience. You could say the same for Tracy Spiridakos over on PD. Ms. Raymund is very good at her craft and she'll obviously land somewhere in a lead role sooner rather than later, and I wish her the best. 

• Love 1

The loss  of Gabby can to nothing but good for the show. I have nothing against the actress, but really hated the way the character was written.  I bailed on the show early this season, and don't know if I will go back.  The show has three repeating elements: Gabby saving the world, Kelly having sex, and evil forces trying to take Boden's job and/or shut down Station 51. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Andy said:

The loss  of Gabby can to nothing but good for the show. I have nothing against the actress, but really hated the way the character was written.  I bailed on the show early this season, and don't know if I will go back.  The show has three repeating elements: Gabby saving the world, Kelly having sex, and evil forces trying to take Boden's job and/or shut down Station 51. 

To be honest the show suffers from poor writing. They don't appear to do much research. Slack show running. Poor continuity and unrealistic (nigh on impossible) story lines. It needs a shake up and they need to let Jesse hit some home runs and stretch his acting muscles now because he has had to play second fiddle for so damn long and had nothing to get his teeth into that didn't involve Grabby. Let's hope the writing improves but l fear the worst.

• Love 1
(edited)

The best scenes on this show have always been when Matt and Kelly shared the scene, whether at a fire or in the House or off duty. I so hope we get back to that.  Because swoon.

C047AB3E-64A8-46E0-838F-484AE51266E9.png

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2