Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: My Struggle II

MULDER AND SCULLY UNCOVER A SHOCKING TRUTH WITH GLOBAL RAMIFICATIONS ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON FINALE OF “THE X-FILES” MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22, ON FOX

Conclusion of Six-Episode Event Series Features Guest Stars Joel McHale, Robbie Amell, Lauren Ambrose, Annabeth Gish and William B. Davis; Episode Written and Directed by Chris Carter

The investigations that Mulder and Scully previously began with conspiracy theorist and web-TV show host Tad O’Malley (guest star Joel McHale) seem to have awakened powerful enemies. A widespread panic begins as people all over the country suddenly start falling gravely ill, and Scully must look within to try and find a cure. Meanwhile, Mulder confronts the man whom he believes to be behind it all, but another figure from Mulder and Scully’s past may prove to be the key to their salvation in the all-new “My Struggle II” Season Finale episode of THE X-FILES airing Monday, Feb. 22 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (XF-1006) (TV-14; D, L, V) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

Cast: Gillian Anderson as FBI Special Agent Dana Scully, David Duchovny as FBI Special Agent Fox Mulder and Mitch Pileggi as FBI Asst. Dir. Walter Skinner

Guest Cast: William B. Davis as Cigarette Smoking Man, Annabeth Gish as Monica Reyes, Joel McHale as Tad O’Malley, Robbie Amell as Agent Miller, Lauren Ambrose as Agent Einstein, Julian Christopher as Dr. Oscar Griffiths and Aliza Vellani as Nurse Sandeep

Sourcehttp://www.spoilertv.com/2016/02/the-x-files-episode-1006-my-struggle-ii.html

Note: Please keep it to just show talk. Talking about politics, terrorism or other sensitive subjects in general is not allowed and any posts that head in that direction will be removed without warning.

It’s cute they named a character Oscar Griffiths (Gillian’s son).

Otherwise, yeah – as the seasons went on, I liked the finales less and less.  I truly put nothing past CC, so I’m definitely nervous for this one.  And what I've seen does not look like my cup of tea.  But I'm hoping for the best, as I’ve generally enjoyed this revival despite elements/story lines I'd have preferred to skip.  I've told a friend who sees it three hours before I do not to spoil me on specifics if she thinks it's good or decent (our tastes align pretty tightly with this show), but if she thinks it's a big ball of awful she must tell me why so I can prepare myself.  So, fingers crossed for a "You can relax" email this evening.

I think you'll see by the threads what people on the East Coast think. For example, I'm thinking I will probably use "WTF CC"-hopefully in a good way. But seeing Scully framed with the window of the Virgin Mary is not helping matters. 

Seriously Chris, Scully is not the Virgin-She's just a naughty girl. Ahem

• Love 1

Oh, I won't be in the thread once it starts airing on the East Coast until after I've watched it on the West Coast, because I don't want to know any specifics ... unless it sucks, in which case I want to know exactly why so I can prepare myself.  And since she and I virtually always have the same likes and dislikes when it comes to XF, she's the one to ask. 

I've half watched these eps while surfing with my phone I find it all blech. They lost me on the myth heavy govt conspiracy eps the first time around.

Best part overall: seeing the opening and closing credits again.

Edited by cleo

Okay, that was actually... good? I mean, it was a plausible extension of the mytharc and has some real suspense there. When Carter decides to tell a good old-fashioned adventure/thriller story, he's actually not that bad. Even Einstein wasn't that bad, and the CSM/Mulder dynamic was as-twisted as ever.

• Love 9

Okay, I am not a CC fan and it was rushed and M/S were apart. But damn I loved it. This is what I wanted after 2012. And even Einstein got better. 

Damn I'm ready for Season 11! And William and aliens!!

So William is totally the one flying the UFO, amirite?

No they will spend the next season searching for Will after the aliens give Scully the antidote..Because everyone loves Scully-even CSM!:)

• Love 6

I really liked it, my only issue is that my DVR cutover at 9pm to record Major Crimes and i missed the last minute or so. Can anyone fill me in? Last I saw was the blue light and UFO overhead. I fully expect that William is in the UFO but, is that how it ended or did something else happen.

Provisional.

I will say this, Mulder's fight with CSM's henchman wasn't half-bad. Mulder's picked up a few skills.

Conspiracy theorists spend a lot of time watching Bruce Lee.

I really liked it, my only issue is that my DVR cutover at 9pm to record Major Crimes and i missed the last minute or so. Can anyone fill me in? Last I saw was the blue light and UFO overhead. I fully expect that William is in the UFO but, is that how it ended or did something else happen.

That was all that we saw except the camera going in for a close up of Scully's eye. And I am proud of Scully for actually learning Sandeep's name. Guess a global crisis does that for you.

• Love 3

The PCR didn't work, time to call Bio-Rad.

Also, Talk Soup is well informed.

The first thing tech support is going to ask: "Did you try adding stem cells?"

"What's wrong with the science?!?"

So much Agent Einstein - so very, very much.

• Love 7
No they will spend the next season searching for Will after the aliens give Scully the antidote..Because everyone loves Scully-even CSM!:)

Of course they do, who wouldn't?

In other news: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 5

That was all that we saw except the camera going in for a close up of Scully's eye.

Thanks! So I guess I now need to hope for another mini-season. To get some answers.

Oh, it was great seeking Reyes again, pity they couldn't get Robert Patrick back as Dogget. I wasn't thrilled with Dogget when he replaced Mulder but I grew to appreciate Reyes/Dogget in the end.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

I have the feeling that Carter was inspired by the ebola crisis when he wrote this one, which I think was smart, because that did show how hysteria can set in pretty quickly.

One quibble I have though - the small pox vaccine stopped being routinely administered after 1972, so there are basically two generations of adults who wouldn't be exposed to this. I suppose the argument, though, is that because it was universally applied that the genomic weakness was being transmitted from mother to children.

• Love 8

Thanks! So I guess I now need to hope for another mini-season. To get some answers.

Oh, it was great seeking Reyes again, pity they couldn't get Robert Patrick back as Dogget. I wasn't thrilled with Dogget when he replaced Mulder but I grew to appreciate Reyes/Dogget in the end.

My thinking is Fox needs to get the next series aired in the next year. Otherwise all the momentum and surprise will be diluted. So let's get cracking. My own personal theory is that CSM feels a bit sorry for Mulder and of course he knows where William is, so if Scully asked him, I think he'd cave in and tell her. 

Oh and the next six episodes feature Mulder and Scully handcuffed together...you know so CC would have to write scenes with them together...

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 4

I was hoping they wouldn't go cliffhanger. Even as we approached the 8:00 mark (CST), a part of me was just pleasantly surprised that it was going to be a two-hour finale. It wasn't, and my heart broke.

The episode seemed fine. The explanation was alright, understanding that it was an explanation for the entire series so it couldn't be perfect. They did a better job than The Truth. I don't like what they did with Reyes, but maybe it will make sense on a second viewing, or, I guess, will be explained better in Part 3 (or 4 or so on). CSM surviving his 2002 explosion was *very* far-fetched, even with what I understand about X-Files technology.

But overall, the episode fails miserably as a series finale, and only works on the understanding of an upcoming eleventh season. I don't think that was the best idea for a limited, test-the-waters miniseries revival. Season 11 having a cliffhanger for a likely Season 12 would make sense. In my mind, they should've tied up the Tad O'Malley-plot, maybe had their big action-packed alien immunodeficiency virus (and solved it), and perhaps tossed in the cliffhanger with the UFO and/or William announcement as an afterthought, after the main plot of the revival had been settled.

And I have no issue with Miller and Einstein at the moment. But as a thought, perhaps they should've been introduced in My Struggle Part 1, or another early episode. Their inclusion, right after the introduction in the penultimate episode, makes it seem like network producers are forcing the writers to include these characters. I'm sure that's not the case.

Here's hoping that John Doggett is the one flying the UFO. It's his own personal Alien Replica Vehicle, and it'll be the mobile headquarters for Season 11.

Ok..I'm sorry, but how was CSM able to talk with that hole in his throat? People have tracheotomies like that because they can't get air through their noses and mouths because of throat cancer or perhaps excessive scarring. But if they can get enough air to talk, they can certainly breathe! Correct me, if I'm wrong..I'm not a doctor. But I have seen the anti-smoking PSA's of people with tracheotomies like that and they speak through a special voice box, and it creeps me out every time. CSM managed to creep me out anyway, but his speaking normally totally took me out of the moment.  

So Scully was able to whip up a vaccine/cure in 20 minutes and is now running around, or rather driving, through considerately spaced traffic, and dispensing IV's? This whole plot is totally ridiculous. Lucky that spaceship happened along. 

And that's how they are leaving it? The whole planet is dying in what looks like a matter of days, caused, for some reason, by the CSM and his buddies, Scully has the cure and will have no problem, I'm sure, dispensing it to the entire medical population in time to save the world. So, no worries?

• Love 18

I don't know if anyone noticed, but they did finally confirm that William is biologically Mulder's child

Actually they've said that all this miniseries.  

I hope that when Series 11 comes out, we get the whole William storyline over and done. He saves Mulder, life is good and he goes back to the farm with his adopted parents. 

• Love 1

I don't know if anyone noticed, but they did finally confirm that William is biologically Mulder's child

What?!? Where was this?

I was too busy picking my brain off the floor after the integration of CRISPR-Cas9 in the plot.

• Love 2

My thinking is Fox needs to get the next series aired in the next year. Otherwise all the momentum and surprise will be diluted. So let's get cracking. My own personal theory is that CSM feels a bit sorry for Mulder and of course he knows where William is, so if Scully asked him, I think he'd cave in and tell her. 

Oh and the next six episodes feature Mulder and Scully handcuffed together...you know so CC would have to write scenes with them together...

CSM is a twisted human being but Monica said it - he loves Mulder, in his twisted, CSM-like way, and he's always had Vader-like aspirations about his relationship with Mulder.  Which Mulder shoots down every time, in every way, with relish.  CSM has never accepted that Mulder would literally rather die a thousand times than give CSM what he wants. It's actually a rather apt metaphor for toxic parent/child relationships.

Of course, he also knows Mulder's weakness, which is Scully, but of course that is no mystery. Literally everyone on the planet knows Scully is Mulder's weakness. 

If Miller can find Mulder why not Scully.

Miller found Mulder because he actually looked. If Scully had clicked on that phone-tracker app on Mulder's computer, she would have found him, too. As for why Mulder didn't pick up, I think we're supposed to accept Scully's explanation - Mulder couldn't face the idea that Scully would call him crazy. Now, given the fact that he had a very real henchman trash his house, you'd think he'd have more confidence in Scully but sometimes there is a fragility in your closest relationships.

I mean, sure, there were plot holes in this but I forgive a lot with a straightforward thriller, which is what this was.  But as for the ones you mentioned, there were explanations for some of them.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 5

What the hell did I just watch?

That would have been interesting, in a total suspension of disbelief kind of way, if Mulder and Scully had been together AT ALL and if it hadn't crammed a season's worth of developments into one unbelievable hour.

This revival has been like a great sandwich on stale bread....the meat in the middle was yum, but the beginning and ends were old and flavorless.

• Love 19
Of course, he also knows Mulder's weakness, which is Scully, but of course that is no mystery. Literally everyone on the planet knows Scully is Mulder's weakness.

Hey, everyone knew that in Season 2.

CSM seemed extraordinary pleased that he knew Mulder's weakness. Like duh, even Sandeep, the nurse probably knew.

• Love 8

Hey, everyone knew that in Season 2.

CSM seemed extraordinary pleased that he knew Mulder's weakness. Like duh, even Sandeep, the nurse probably knew.

I always feel like CSM has a death wish when he taunts Mulder with Scully because, really, if Mulder ever DOES succeed in shooting CSM, it will be because CSM said some intemperate remark about Scully. It's like Disapproving Dad trashing the Inappropriate Girlfriend stuff.

• Love 4

I always feel like CSM has a death wish when he taunts Mulder with Scully because, really, if Mulder ever DOES succeed in shooting CSM, it will be because CSM said some intemperate remark about Scully. It's like Disapproving Dad trashing the Inappropriate Girlfriend stuff.

One know that if CSM ever gets shot, it'll be Scully doing it. Don't mess with her Mulder. She even passed off Agent Miller in terms of triage so Mulder could get help. 

I guess I've been easy to please. I've enjoyed most of this series even if it hasn't been 100% like the old days. Exciting, funny and sentimental-I still enjoy it.

• Love 11
I will say this, Mulder's fight with CSM's henchman wasn't half-bad. Mulder's picked up a few skills.

He's no Jack Bauer but he did alright.

Miller and Mulder made good time from South Carolina to DC. 

I hope the show continues, and that somehow, they find William and Fox's sister. 

I was annoyed all six episodes by Gillian Anderson's voice. Are her vocal chords damaged in some way? She sounded as if she was always on the cusp of laryngitis. It bothered me to the point where I wasn't always hearing her dialogue.

Agree with the person who posted already asking about Cancer Man (that's we call him in this household)'s ability to talk - wouldn't he have one of those voice boxes?

• Love 7

Now we get to wait and see when or if Gillian and David have the time to do a few more episodes. Could be a long wait. I still have it in the back of my mind they are grooming those two new agents for something.

• Love 1
Because everyone loves Scully-even CSM!:)

Indeed they do!

Ok..I'm sorry, but how was CSM able to talk with that hole in his throat? People have tracheotomies like that because they can't get air through their noses and mouths because of throat cancer or perhaps excessive scarring. But if they can get enough air to talk, they can certainly breathe!

That confused me too. I'm not a doctor either, but I figure if he can talk, he can breathe, and if he can do those things, why can't he smoke through it?

That aside, I really liked this! I was on the edge of my seat through most of it and the end came way before I was ready. Agent Einstein came off a lot better in this one, I thought. I think she approached the situation as any rational scientist would. I really enjoyed them doing all the science. Pouring a gel! Talking about genes! Discussing primers and chromosomes and coding! I mean, sure, it was far-fetched, but I liked it. It made my scientist's heart happy. You need William's stem cells? Sure, okay. I'll follow you to the ends of the earth, Scully. =)

I was weirdly proud of Mulder's improved fighting abilities and also of Scully finally addressing the nurse by her name. Also, even though I was never really that fond of Monica, I liked her in this. I thought it was incredibly human to make the kind of deal she did. Who wouldn't save their own skin if given the chance?

William is totally piloting the spaceship, right? Hopefully he'll let Mulder take it out for a spin.

Haha! Truth. Then again, Scully is everyone's weakness. Mulder's.Frohike's. CSM's. Mine. =)

• Love 6
Samantha Mulder is definitely dead - she died a few years after her abduction and then went to atheist heaven. We saw that in season 7.

Thanks. I watched this show from Day One but remember almost nothing of it. In one ear and out the other, unfortunately. 

• Love 2

Well I actually thought this was an incoherent mess. So many many issues. I love Scully but she did jump to a lot of conclusions quite quickly. WHY didn't Mulder ever answer the phone when Scully was calling? If Miller can find Mulder why not Scully. Why did they feel the need to separate Mulder and Scully the WHOLE episode? What purpose did Mulder's part of the story serve? Really? Williams stem cells? I didn't love Reyes back in the day but did this just destroy her character? Basically they made her a sell out to save her own skin? Scully tells a bunch of randoms on the street to go to the hospital because a simple hospital is equipped enough to generate whatever the hell she was making and it will be enough to cure the whole population?

I love sci fi and I have a high tolerance for nonsense but I really really hated this episode. If not for David and Gillian I honestly think Chris' storytelling would have killed this show ages ago.

Gah! So mad!

Well it's a 43 min show. So a lot was packed in.

But I'm feeling rather meh about it too.

• Love 1

Now THAT was the X-Files that I missed! Whoa. Pretty good episode. Not perfect - lots of logistical flaws, but more to the original series.

First - and most importantly - yeah, I'm pretty sure there will be a season 11. That was a cliffhanger, not closure. We'll get 6 more episodes next year!

It's the X-Files EveryIllnessUnderTheSun / aka The Sickly Dead. So how did CSM get into this position to be able to pull the trigger? And like Agent Einstein said - why now? What is it about now? I guess CC wants to jump on the Walking Dead/Apocalyptic bandwagon like so many other shows these days.

I liked how Alien DNA would actually save the masses. Loved Mulder turning down his fathers "offer". Good for him.

Scientific flaws though - PCR /DNA testing take time. I am sure there is very advance techinology now, but turnaround is still hours. PCR may be faster, correct me if I am wrong, but it still takes time.

Also, Tad O'Malley tells everyone there is a cure? How on earth are they going to be able to synthesize enough alien DNA to treat milions of people. Scully only has so much DNA/Blood she can spare? Especially is the treatment is an IV bag. I totally expected Scully to trip and the IV bags to break - I know, terrible. People were getting sick so quickly and dying, there is no way anyone could treat the majority of humanity. However, if they had no immune system, you could probably simply inject the people with Scully blood (plasma and cells) - there is no immune system to attack the foreign transfused cells, which is why people have transfusion reactions - immune system attacks and destroys the foreign cells, causing massive hemolysis. If one HAS no immune system, then there is nothing to attack the cells, and the DNA would be in her blood cell makeup. I wonder if that could work as a quick fix, but instead they showed her with IV bags.

I'll be interested to see where they will go season 11. Oh, and William is so there on that ship.

Overall, decent episode. Einstein didn't bother me as much. Even Reyes was fine. William B. Davis was his awesome villain self. Obviously the aliens helped him "recover" from his massive injuries.

Looking forward to season 11!

ETA; I wish we could do a poll, to show who hated episode 5 and liked this one and who liked episode 5 but hated this one. Interesting the division between opinion. I recognize some of you liking last weeks, but not this one, whereas I and a few others, disliked last week, but this week was decent.

• Love 6

Before I go, on the theme of everybody love Scully, I was dying when the extras were looting stores and the police were helpless, yet a redhead with a badge comes and tells them to stop and they did. So even random strangers love Scully! Too funny.

Now THAT was the X-Files that I missed! Whoa. Pretty good episode. Not perfect - lots of logistical flaws, but more to the original series.

First - and most importantly - yeah, I'm pretty sure there will be a season 11. That was a cliffhanger, not closure. We'll get 6 more episodes next year!

It's the X-Files EveryIllnessUnderTheSun / aka The Sickly Dead. So how did CSM get into this position to be able to pull the trigger? And like Agent Einstein said - why now? What is it about now? I guess CC wants to jump on the Walking Dead/Apocalyptic bandwagon like so many other shows these days.

I liked how Alien DNA would actually save the masses. Loved Mulder turning down his fathers "offer". Good for him.

Scientific flaws though - PCR /DNA testing take time. I am sure there is very advance techinology now, but turnaround is still hours. PCR may be faster, correct me if I am wrong, but it still takes time.

Also, Tad O'Malley tells everyone there is a cure? How on earth are they going to be able to synthesize enough alien DNA to treat milions of people. Scully only has so much DNA/Blood she can spare? Especially is the treatment is an IV bag. I totally expected Scully to trip and the IV bags to break - I know, terrible. People were getting sick so quickly and dying, there is no way anyone could treat the majority of humanity. However, if they had no immune system, you could probably simply inject the people with Scully blood (plasma and cells) - there is no immune system to attack the foreign transfused cells, which is why people have transfusion reactions - immune system attacks and destroys the foreign cells, causing massive hemolysis. If one HAS no immune system, then there is nothing to attack the cells, and the DNA would be in her blood cell makeup. I wonder if that could work as a quick fix, but instead they showed her with IV bags.

I'll be interested to see where they will go season 11. Oh, and William is so there on that ship.

Overall, decent episode. Einstein didn't bother me as much. Even Reyes was fine. William B. Davis was his awesome villain self. Obviously the aliens helped him "recover" from his massive injuries.

Looking forward to season 11!

Well according to one of the scientists who helped write this episode, CC already planned what happens next after the UFO. So as DD says, it's on hiatus until Fox decides.

• Love 3