Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Chapter Thirty-Four

Jane is considering whether or not to take her relationship with Jonathan to the next level and turns to Xo for advice. Xo and Rogelio have their own relationship issues to work out. Meanwhile, as a favor to Rafael, Jane agrees to help Petra by throwing her a baby shower. Luisa is in a terrible car accident, but all is not as it seems. Michael comes to a realization he must share with Jane.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGSuSvfc5gQ

Good ep!

Aw no, Rose! Is she really dead? You never know with this show. I guess she is since Michael told Jane about not worrying about being safe.

I was indifferent to Michael and Jane the first season, and didn't care all that much, but now I actually want them together, so I was happy it was him at the door at the end.

I have a feel it won't last long though.

That was so funny when Jane and the narrator said the same thing together.  I already forgot what the line was!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

That was so funny when Jane and the narrator said the same thing together.  I already forgot what the line was!

It was a variation on "what did you say?" in response to Alba's comment.

The promo for next week with Ro being *so*  happy about Jane's decision was one of the best things tonight!

• Love 1

Michael's reaction to Jane saying she was waiting until marriage just proved he was her one. From that flashback, there was no way she was sleeping with the professor. 

His showing up on her doorstep and declaring his love was awwwww. I hope the show settles it down and lets it stick for awhile now. 

Great twist having the car accident be an act. 

• Love 3

Well, I'm glad Luisa didn't really fall off the wagon. Nice bit of misdirection in the beginning. And while I'm sad that Bridget Regan will no longer be gracing my television (especially since I don't watch Agent Carter), as soon as the narrator said that either Rose or Susanna would die, I was hoping it'd be Rose. Ideally, I'd prefer if neither had died because omg no more Bridget Regan, but if I had to choose...

I'm glad that Xo came to her senses about not freezing her eggs, because I'm not a fan of the whole "maybe you'll change your mind" rhetoric that people use re: having kids; that just tends to lead to a whole lot of resentment and pressure down the road. 

• Love 2

So many honest conversations in tonight's episode, which was refreshing amongst all the lying on other shows. Petra and Jane, Xio and Rogelio, Jane and Rafael, and then Michael and Jane. Their last scene made me cry. Please don't ruin them again, writers!

Adam Rodriguez is still smoking hot. He's the only reason why I endured CSI Miami for so long.

Poor Xio and Rogelio. I want those two crazy kids to be happy. Same with Raf and Petra.

Nice misdirection with the fake accident. Still think Luisa is a nut job but at least she knows she is.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

Adam Rodriguez is still smoking hot. He's the only reason why I endured CSI Miami for so long.

So I didn't suffer alone! I can't believe I watched Every. Single. Friggin'. Episode. of that show just to see him. But what I like about him on this show is, he isn't pretty but dim (which, I'm sorry, Delko could be). Here, he's just pretty. Unfortunately, now he's probably also gone, since there's no reason for the character to stick around.

As a card-carrying member of Team Michael, I was so happy with last night's ending (and that preview for next week with Rogelio's reaction, LOL). And as a pretty-darn-close-to-card-carrying member of Team Rafael/Petra, I can't help but want those two to work it out.

Let's see, what else? I really liked the fact that Petra and Jane found their common ground in honesty and wanting their kids to have a family. I'm sure there will be speed bumps down the line, but I thought that was a good resolution for now. I am sad about Xiomara and Rogelio, but I'm going to hold out hope they're the OTP on this show and will eventually get back together. And I'm also guessing we'll get to see Alba and her first love; I'm looking forward to that. I don't really care much about the Rose plot (because to me, Bridget Regan is now Dottie on Agent Carter and doesn't really belong here anymore), and even less about Luisa's angst, beyond a small level of curiosity for how it's going to pan out. Oh, and every week the narrator gets better. I have been loving that part of the show the most (except for Jane and Michael. And Mateo, who is adorable).

• Love 3

I smiled so big for Jane and Michael at the end. They just feel right. And this is coming from someone who binge-watched all of season 1 last year, and didn't like them at all at first. I gradually warmed up to them, and while I can't say I "ship" it (shipping to me is serious business and involves deep love for or the idea of a couple), I fully support it. They have the most in common and their flashbacks are cute. Rafael belongs with Petra.

I'm also glad Alba told Jane she wouldn't judge her for having sex and that that damn flower can stop hanging over Jane's head. I really cannot stand the societal narrative in general that young women/women are shamed about having or wanting to have and enjoying sex.

• Love 3

Still think Luisa is a nut job but at least she knows she is.

Part of the reason I ship Luisa and Susanna is because IMO the latter grounds her as a character in a way that her other love interests haven't. Luisa is just too easy to write as completely OTT, and there have been moments during the series where she's been too wacky even in the telenovela scheme of things. I still shudder when I think of Juicy Jordan. 

Anyway, I've seen speculation that it wasn't actually Rose who died, and I don't know, maybe there's something to it? How would Mutter have had time to ambush Rose and strangle her when the police were hot on her trail? Why would Mutter strangle Rose anyway? What if Rose was talking to Luisa in the ICU but they had a decoy set up with Rose's face when things went to hell? 

• Love 2

Part of the reason I ship Luisa and Susanna is because IMO the latter grounds her as a character in a way that her other love interests haven't. Luisa is just too easy to write as completely OTT, and there have been moments during the series where she's been too wacky even in the telenovela scheme of things. I still shudder when I think of Juicy Jordan. 

Anyway, I've seen speculation that it wasn't actually Rose who died, and I don't know, maybe there's something to it? How would Mutter have had time to ambush Rose and strangle her when the police were hot on her trail? Why would Mutter strangle Rose anyway? What if Rose was talking to Luisa in the ICU but they had a decoy set up with Rose's face when things went to hell? 

For me, I wonder why they brought back Bridget Regan for only two episodes if they had a viable reason to cast a different actress as Rose. Was it just for the twist that Rose didn't change her face for Luisa? Or will we actually see Bridget again as Rose in another future twist? I think it would be neat if it wasn't Rose, but I guess I'll accept for now that it was. Either way, there are more questions there than answers so we're probably not done with Rose yet. 

As a Jane/Michael fan, this episode made me very happy. I am also a Petra/Rafael fan so having hints toward them was nice. I'm hoping that this Jane/Michael relationship lasts more than two episodes. If Jane/Rafael got 80% of a season to be together, Jane/Michael should get more than a couple of episodes together. I'm glad Jane got to actually shut the door with Rafael, although I wonder if he was still in love with Jane, why would he kiss Petra? At least he got a definitive answer, even though I'm sure things will change by the end of the season. 

The Xo/Rogelio storyline was sad. I get Rogelio hoping that things will change, so asking Xo to freeze her eggs ensures that if she does end up changing her mind, it's not too late. But Xo firmly sticking with her choice was great too. It was hard, but she had to do it. Their break up really was sad.

Also, now there's a Lola who's getting out of prison. Ok, I guess she's going to put a serious damper with Xo/Rogelio, even more so. 

Petra/Jane are becoming friends! I laughed out loud at the water/oil gag, and I'm glad both of them found common ground with honesty. 

I guess Professor Chavez is going to be disappearing shortly. I think having them say he won't be leaving for another four months (so not until the finale) means he'll probably be sticking around until then. Maybe not in every single episode, but I can't imagine this was his last episode. 

I also loved Alba's talk with Jane. Finally, someone had to say it to her! I know this show is called Jane The Virgin, so she probably won't be having sex yet, but it would be a neat twist if she did. Then at least we could see how the narrator acknowledges the irony in the title! 

Also, can't stress this enough, but yes at the Jane/Michael ending. Seeing their flashbacks were so sweet once again. It's one of the reasons I love Michael. 

For me, I wonder why they brought back Bridget Regan for only two episodes if they had a viable reason to cast a different actress as Rose. Was it just for the twist that Rose didn't change her face for Luisa?

I figured it was because the show just really, really likes Bridget Regan. And a couple of eps at a time might have been all they could bring Regan back for, since she's juggling a bunch of other show commitments.

I figured it was because the show just really, really likes Bridget Regan. And a couple of eps at a time might have been all they could bring Regan back for, since she's juggling a bunch of other show commitments.

Maybe, but then to kill her off? Now she can only appear in flashbacks? I don't know; I know Regan has her other shows, but they could have had Rose disappear again, if anything. But I guess she probably is dead and that you're right. They wanted closure on Rose, and Luisa got it....well, partially. 

Yeah, but that's why I'm wondering if there's something to the theory that Rose isn't dead and that the body they found was a decoy that Mutter and Rose set up beforehand. Of course they'd have to time it right so that the estimated time of death wasn't too far off from when the body was found; maybe Mutter was keeping an eye on the ICU via a bodycam on Rose and once she saw things were going to shit, she killed the hapless decoy and set it up to be found by the authorities.

By killing off Rose (or "Rose") instead of just letting her disappear into the night again, I think the writers are hedging their bets by providing some closure on her storyline for now (which is good because it lets the characters move forward) but also leaving the door open for her return if they can ever get Regan back for a more substantial guest arc. So it probably won't ever be revealed that the body wasn't Rose unless Regan comes back and then they'll be all, "Surprise, bitches! Bet you thought you'd seen the last of me." 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

I'm glad we got Alba's backstory on the whole virginity thing, and that she said she wouldn't judge Jane, but I'm also glad Jane didn't go through with it with Prof Chavez. He's still a professor in her department, even if he isn't her adviser any more! And also, she really doesn't want something casual.

When Michael ran into the hospital, I was so afraid he was going to get shot. I immediately thought that the woman there might have been someone else who was given Rose's face and trained in what to say to Luisa. I was a little disappointed that Luisa didn't leap off the bed and knock Rose out when Rose was taking Susanna.

I love Jane and Petra together. All the background and values clash of Jane and Rafael, with none of the romantic angst, and more comedy. Plus the matter-of-fact "moms; what can you do?" acceptance of Petra's having cancelled lunch because her mother murdered someone.

• Love 1

Also, now there's a Lola who's getting out of prison. Ok, I guess she's going to put a serious damper with Xo/Rogelio, even more so.

Did anyone else wonder if Lola could be Petra's mom?

I was confused by the set up with Mutter and Rose.  They kept showing us Gus meeting up with someone in a parking garage and then that story just dropped.  Was no one watching them?  Was that the parking garage for the hospital?

I agree that the possible death of Rose was suspicious since there did not seem to be a lot of time between Rose running away and then being found conveniently with a blue silk cord around her neck.  Also interesting was how she shot Susanna, not a kill shot but a "she won't bleed out" shot (watch too many forensic cop shows!)  Is she in on the conspiracy too?

The LLN was really on fire tonight.  Not only with the comment in unison with Jane, but being so proud of himself for "not getting ahead of himself" and letting the secret about Louisa and set up slip.

I love Jane and Petra together. All the background and values clash of Jane and Rafael, with none of the romantic angst, and more comedy. Plus the matter-of-fact "moms; what can you do?" acceptance of Petra's having cancelled lunch because her mother murdered someone.

This good relationship can not be mentioned often enough!  Are you listening writers?  These two need each other.

Edited by elle

Maybe I don't understand the nature of Jane's graduate program, but shouldn't Prof Chavez have told her he was leaving the country in a few months before he agreed to be her advisor in the first place?

Nobody is cuter than Mateo.

I love how straightforward and honest the characters are being with each other (Xo and Ro, Abuela and Jane, Jane and Rafael, etc.). It's nice to see writers who are able to move a story line along without ridiculous misunderstandings and unnecessary secrets!

• Love 2

I adore Michael, and I always wanted him to be end game, but didn't Jane break up with him because of his violent outburst at Raphael that ended in Mateo getting hurt? While I realize that was related to this case, I still don't see how the death of Rose makes everything OK. Jane needs to have a serious talk with Michael about his anger issues (particularly in regards to Raphael, who will always be a part of her life) before she falls into Michael's arms again. (Though I have to admit, the ending was really sweet on a purely emotional level.)

And as for Xo and Rogelio... I guess I just don't get Rogelio (who is one of my favorite characters). Wasn't he the one who was upset about Xo's possible pregnancy last year, even though he eventually came around (I think)? So he's really ready to give up the love of his life because he wants kids so badly, even though he apparently didn't before? Not to mention he does have a daughter (I know he feels like he missed out on Jane's childhood, and that's definitely understandable, but he has a relationship now) and a grandson (who he's been part of his life since birth, and will get to experience growing up, and will get to be a close, influential figure in his life). OK, neither of those would be the same as raising your own child from birth, but it's a lot better compromise than most people would get in that situation. It just feels like manufactured drama to keep them apart longer (which this show excels at).

But I still love it, and it makes me laugh, so whatever, I guess...

• Love 3

Jane driving in her underwear was so perfect because a) she did something so out of character, and b) getting pulled over while driving without pants is just so Florida.

I felt a little sorry for Jane during the whole almost-sex scene. She was all talk while texting, but when she got in a situation in which she'd really have sex, she panicked. That's not a criticism of her. It's just that, because she's never had sex, she had no way of knowing how she'd feel when things got real. (Really good acting by Gina gasping in fear when he opened the condom.) She shouldn't have tried to go the sexual bravado route with both her lack of experience and a new, casual partner. Fortunately, the professor is a good guy and was respectful of her feelings. I really hope that she has sex for the first time with Michael because I think it will be the best experience for her. Don't break them up again, show!

I doubt that Jane and Rafael were really in love with each other. They got caught up in the baby thing. The main reason he's trying to hang on to her is Mateo. I think he would have moved on more easily if they didn't share a child.

• Love 1

I loved the show this week! Frantic pace, intrigue, sex, fun, laughs, revelations, honesty... Loved it all. Except Michael professing his love for Jane. #TeamRafael all the way!

Although Ro's excited "I'm so happy you are back with Michael" dance preview had me hollowing!

• Love 2

Well, I don't know. I found Rose's death odd. It all happened so fast and it seemed so anticlimantic. Plus, they set up nice possible future conflict by having Luisa betray her.

Let's see how it goes, but I'm not fully writing it off yet. It almost seemed to me like an excuse to get Jane and Michael back together, but maybe there will be a surprise later.

I found the whole suffragette thing utterly unfunny and annoying.

I thought the strangulation thing was very strange.  I mean, I'm not all that familiar with the specifics of strangulation, but isn't it a way to suffocate the person?  Isn't that the cause of death?  It just didn't seem like there could have been enough time for all that to happen when the team was right there in the hospital waiting to intercept her.

• Love 2

So I'm less in love with this show than others which is why I think I'm going to actually take a break for a while.  I've been wanting to for a while but I'm just not feeling the stories or people. For every nice thing it does (Xo doesn't freeze her eggs), it does something that annoys the shit out of me (Jane freaking out about the condom makes me wonder if she's mature enough for sex because good gawd.   Yeah, I judge.)

I adore Michael, and I always wanted him to be end game, but didn't Jane break up with him because of his violent outburst at Raphael that ended in Mateo getting hurt?

Yes, that is what happened.  But what really happened is I'm guessing the writers knew the wedding would be at the end of the season but weren't quite sure if they'd know how to fill a whole season of Jane happy with Michael so they had to break them up somehow.  And so we got that. They may throw in a line later about how he did counseling or whatever but that's pretty much over because the story demands it be over.

While I realize that was related to this case, I still don't see how the death of Rose makes everything OK.

Right.  That whole thing makes zero sense to me.  It's out of the blue.  So instead of telling Jane the truth he pushes her away.  I guess it's supposed to be heroic and romantic but those are not words I use to describe Michael so I wasn't swept away.  All it did was leave looking at it from a story perspective and scratching my head.

I doubt that Jane and Rafael were really in love with each other.

I think they were.  I remember how devastated Jane looked when Rafael broke up with her.  Frankly, if the show tries to tell any other story then my temp break will be permanent because there's nothing that annoys me more when a show says "remember that thing you invested in? Not real.' Hell, I even cried somewhat sad tears at the end of Newhart

when it was revealed the whole thing was just a dream of Bob Newhart's character from his earlier sitcom.  I got that it was clever and all, and it was ALL fictional anyway but seriously--fuck that shit. 

I was kind of pissed.

• Love 8

I'm technically Team Rafael and I honestly can't stand Michael's smug face, but I'm oddly liking Jane less and less as the show goes on and liking Petra more and more. So I guess I'm less Team Rafael with Jane and more Team Rafael finds happiness. I think I'm rooting for Rafael/Petra right now. Jane and Michael are fine, I guess, but I personally never would have forgiven him for his scheming to get her to give up the baby in the beginning, along with all his secrets and lies throughout the series.

• Love 7

Jane's almost-sexcapades give me such bad secondhand embarrassment, a lot of the time it's all I can do to not fast-forward through her scenes. 

Also interesting was how she shot Susanna, not a kill shot but a "she won't bleed out" shot (watch too many forensic cop shows!)  Is she in on the conspiracy too?

Hush, you. This can't happen. Talk about bad luck for Michael (2 dirty cop partners) and Luisa (2 evil ex-girlfriends). Susanna looked genuinely distraught when Rose threatened her family, but I suppose that doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. 

• Love 2

Maybe it's because I'm #TeamRafael, or better yet #TeamForgetTheLoveTriangleAndLet'sMoveOn (which is where I thought and hoped things were heading), but it feels like this show is losing some of its spark - though it's amazing that it took until Chapter Thirty-Four before that happened. Some plots do seem to have hit closure in this episode, though, so maybe some new shakeup is on the way. Maybe Rafael, rejected by Jane, could lash out. That might be fun.

Meanwhile ... Michael. Ugh. I don't know if I even want to watch next week. That pouty/angry cop's going to have to wear a LOT more tight black T-shirts to win me over again.

• Love 5

Jane's almost-sexcapades give me such bad secondhand embarrassment, a lot of the time it's all I can do to not fast-forward through her scenes.

Me too. I had to pause that last scene with the professor before I watched it. She stresses me out sometimes.

I'm technically Team Rafael and I honestly can't stand Michael's smug face, but I'm oddly liking Jane less and less as the show goes on and liking Petra more and more. So I guess I'm less Team Rafael with Jane and more Team Rafael finds happiness. I think I'm rooting for Rafael/Petra right now. Jane and Michael are fine, I guess, but I personally never would have forgiven him for his scheming to get her to give up the baby in the beginning, along with all his secrets and lies throughout the series.

You are speaking my language! Absolutely agree with everything you're saying, plus he hurt Mateo! How could she ever forgive someone who hurt her child in anger?! (Regardless of whether he meant to our not!)

• Love 2

The applies to both Michael and Rafael tho--scheming and lies.

You are speaking my language! Absolutely agree with everything you're saying, plus he hurt Mateo! How could she ever forgive someone who hurt her child in anger?! (Regardless of whether he meant to our not!)

Because intention and context does matter. If you choose not to forgive someone who did that to your kid, I'd understand, but I also understand Jane forgiving Michael. Would there be a difference if he accidentally hurt Mateo in happiness? The kid is still hurt either way. Also, as soon as Mateo cried, Michael instantly stop and felt guilty. He didn't feel justified or believed that Rafael's actions excused his actions. Most importantly, he saved Mateo's life at the risk to his own career and not simply for Jane and the other thing she's done. How can one accident that he instantly felt bad about outweigh the other good things he's done concerning Mateo?

• Love 7

The applies to both Michael and Rafael tho--scheming and lies.

I think I'm able to forgive it more easily in Rafael because Rafael is presented as a flawed character. Rafael was a really bad guy for a few years, but now he's trying to change. We're seeing how his old instincts get in the way of his new goals to live on the straight and narrow. We're also seeing how his screwed up family life led to his bad decision making over the years. Raf is offered to us by the writers as a guy struggling with wanting to be the kind of dad he wishes he had and the kind of man Jane can love and trust but having to battle his inner demons. In comparison, Michael is portrayed as a golden boy. Mr. Trustworthy Policeman who is always there to protect the Villanuevas and save the day. His indiscretions are hand waved as just being the result of his loving Jane and being afraid of her leaving him. He's been sneaky sneaky sneaky, petulant, and angry over and over since the series began, but it's harder for me to get over because he's not complex enough for me to understand if he's on some kind of emotional journey, and the writer offer him to us as the supposed "good guy" of the show.

Would there be a difference if he accidentally hurt Mateo in happiness?

Yes. 100% yes! If Michael was rushing to hug Jane and accidentally hurt Mateo, there would be no issue. That would be a true accident. Rushing at someone to attack them in a sheer rage while they're HOLDING A BABY IN HIS CARSEAT is completely different. It shows no regard for the baby, it shows a violent temper I wouldn't want around my baby, it shows prioritizing anger over the baby... I could go on and on.

The main thing I like about Michael with Jane at this point is his relationship with Rogelio.

That's the only content in which I can stomach Michael. Rogelio makes everything better. 

Edited by truebluesmoky
  • Love 12

Just last episode, he was back to being a tool to his sister. 

I love the walking disaster known as Luisa, whereas the only time I find Rafael remotely interesting is when we're having flashbacks to his bad boy days, but IMO he was justified in his anger towards her. There have been lots of times earlier in the series where I thought he acted unnecessarily like a dick towards her, but this time, she stayed in contact with the woman who orchestrated his child's abduction, and didn't contact police! A simple apology isn't sufficient to wipe that away. I think that's why Luisa agreed to act as bait for Rose in the first place. 

• Love 9

I think I'm able to forgive it more easily in Rafael because Rafael is presented as a flawed character. Rafael was a really bad guy for a few years, but now he's trying to change. We're seeing how his old instincts get in the way of his new goals to live on the straight and narrow. We're also seeing how his screwed up family life led to his bad decision making over the years. Raf is offered to us by the writers as a guy struggling with wanting to be the kind of dad he wishes he had and the kind of man Jane can love and trust but having to battle his inner demons. In comparison, Michael is portrayed as a golden boy. Mr. Trustworthy Policeman who is always there to protect the Villanuevas and save the day. His indiscretions are hand waved as just being the result of his loving Jane and being afraid of her leaving him. He's been sneaky sneaky sneaky, petulant, and angry over and over since the series began, but it's harder for me to get over because he's not complex enough for me to understand if he's on some kind of emotional journey, and the writer offer him to us as the supposed "good guy" of the show.

Yes. 100% yes! If Michael was rushing to hug Jane and accidentally hurt Mateo, there would be no issue. That would be a true accident. Rushing at someone to attack them in a sheer rage while they're HOLDING A BABY IN HIS CARSEAT is completely different. It shows no regard for the baby, it shows a violent temper I wouldn't want around my baby, it shows prioritizing anger over the baby... I could go on and on.

That's the only content in which I can stomach Michael. Rogelio makes everything better. 

TBH, that's not how I see Rafael because his flaws only really pinpoints to his past and not so much the present. I don't care if he used to be a bad boy who did what he wanted. Like, that's not even close to a deal breaker for me as far as a character goes, BUT his post accidental insemination behavior does bother me it hand waves his behavior as being "so in love" and "just wanting to be the best dad possible." His flaws aren't viewed framed as flaws in the series pertaining to current day Rafael.

At times, I like Rafael, but many times it's hard for me to root for him in general with stuff like what happened with his sister or how he's an ass to Petra for no reason--no context nothing, he just is. I hardly ever seen him support his sister until some truth comes to light, and then he gains perspective. Petra was conniving, sure, but not the villain he portrayed her to be when he decided he was no longer in love with her. From many of the flashbacks we've seen of them, they were happy and Petra's feelings were genuine. So, he emotionally left the marriage and didn't tell his wife that he wasn't invested in them. Those two relationships DEEPLY DEEPLY bother me because of the hypocrisy and overall shitty, holier than thou schtick he has going on when dealing with those two women.

As someone firmly Team Michael, I've asserted several times that none of his behavior is excusable even if it is understandable. No one excuses or hand waves him keeping quiet about Petra's affair, accidentally hurting Mateo, his constant pissing match with Rafael, and the other crap he's done. He's been criticized by the fans who like him. As far as the series is concerned, Ro loves Michael, but stands with Jane regardless of however HE feels. Xo likes Michael, but she pushes Jane to make the best decision for her and the grandmother likes Rafael. Most of the illegal stuff I excuse him for is for things that I excuse cops for in other series. But, I don't think the series or many fans have ever said his actions were okay even if they understand his rationale. 

"Good Guy" and Rafael's the bad guy??? Both Rafael and Michael have been sneaky, petulant, and angry throughout the series. BUT, Michael had far more reason than Rafael ever did as far as anger goes. He was with Jane for years, and then she gets accidentally inseminated and he feels out of place, especially once Jane decides to keep the kid, AND THEN later dates the father. I don't condone his actions, but I'm not understanding why his FLAWED actions are unjustified considering the hand he'd been dealt. But, Michael has also been happy for Jane, supporting of her regardless of if they were about to date or not, and a friend in need even when he was upset with her. It hasn't been all negative emotions and he wasn't the only one. Is Michael as complex as Rafael? No, but he also doesn't have family, friends, or even more storyline connected to him like Rafael to flesh him out even more.

Hmm...I have no disagree that Michael prioritized anger over Mateo. It's not like he thought about his anger and simmered in it, and then decided "okay, I'll lash out. I see Rafael holding the baby, so what!" People sometimes respond to a strong emotion in the moment and, contrary to what a few believe, we cannot control every emotion. Does Michael occasionally feel angry? Yes. Does he constantly lose his temper? No. Which is why I stick by my point that Rafael snuck around the way he did to get Michael fired the way he did so Michael could blow up at him. Rafael didn't plan for Mateo to get hurt or even be involved, but he knew what button to push to send Michael over the edge. Michael wasn't overreacting to something minor or exploded for no reason. When people see red, they aren't thinking logically. And Jane had your original opinion UNTIL she found out the facts of the case and saw that, despite Mateo getting injured, she could see how Michael got to the point he was. Even then, since that moment, Michael has gained perspective.

• Love 4

I have a feeling I'm the lone voice here but I really (REALLY) did not find the professor dude hot *at all*. Just bleah. So, happy that she's (looking like she's) back with Michael. Personally, I'd prefer her to find a new dude who doesn't have any weird entanglements and ditch Michael and Raphael. 

• Love 6

The whole professor SL was predictable and disappointing.  Now, *everyone* loves Jane?  Pbbbbt.   

I'm Team Rafael, so this reunion with Michael has me turned off the show, at least for now.  *sigh*  

• Love 2

Maybe, but then to kill her off? Now she can only appear in flashbacks? I don't know; I know Regan has her other shows, but they could have had Rose disappear again, if anything. But I guess she probably is dead and that you're right. They wanted closure on Rose, and Luisa got it....well, partially. 

They can always resurrect her again by saying it wasn't Rose but someone who had had surgery to look like Rose.  That was my first thought when I saw her "dead."

That this was some other person working for Mutter.   

(edited)

All right, not "in love"; I guess I didn't mean that -- more a, "Success with every man she meets" -- it's the Carrie Bradshaw Syndrome.

-- and I know, that doesn't mean EVERY MAN THAT'S EVER BEEN ON THE SHOW.**

**eta: That sounds snotty.  I meant it to be funny.

Edited by gutette1
  • Love 1

I was confused by the set up with Mutter and Rose.  They kept showing us Gus meeting up with someone in a parking garage and then that story just dropped.  Was no one watching them?  Was that the parking garage for the hospital?

I didn't see this get answered... he was a red herring. They explained it very briefly. Not sure I can do this well, but I'll try: The cops assumed that Mutter and Rose would be alerted that they had the chip. So the cops set up a "real" plan and a "decoy" plan. The plastic surgery guy was the decoy, so Mutter/Rose would think the cops were busy watching him supposedly meet with Rose. Then Rose would feel safe visiting Luisa, who was faking an emergency to lure her out. The audience was supposed to be fooled, too, thinking they were doing one thing when they were really doing another.

The narrator said he was so relieved to tell us what was really going on, but couldn't earlier because he didn't know who to trust. That was cute.

• Love 3

So apparently I'm binge watching this season as well. Kind of disturbed how many episodes of this show I've watched in only a week. I have a life. Really. I've just got a much-needed long weekend. #dontjudgeme

The way this show uses hashtags remains amazing and now I keep doing it everywhere. #notweird

God that ending was awful. I hate Michael. He's an awful man and he's bad for Jane. 

My problem is not that Michael has done anything that is "irredeemable" in the context of the show. Because this is a TV show and TV redemption is a thing. Far more than in real life. My problem is Michael's basic personality. Because, as I said before, he's amazing and sweet and wonderful and thoughtful - while things are going his way. As soon as there's a complication, he becomes petulant and childish and angry and lashes out. So while I can do the TV thing of excusing his past actions, those actions are a direct result of his personality. And that doesn't change. He will behave this way again. And that's why I don't want to see him with Jane. Jane's life is complicated and Rafael will always be there. There is no Michael/Jane bubble world for him to be the sole hero of and so this will not end well.

• Love 2

Awwwww, Rogelio and Xiomara! When we got the rosy glow from Xiomara telling Mateo that she loved him, I was afraid that she was realizing that she does want to have kids. I'm glad that instead it was just solidifying her decision not to have any more kids. I appreciated her explanation too. With Jane, she had to be the one changing diapers and making sacrifices. Now that she's the grandmother, she gets to choose when she does things for the baby and she can put herself first.

I was sure that Professor Chavez was going to turn out to be some kind of philanderer (his explanation of "I wasn't suited for marriage" seemed like a huge red flag) , but I had to laugh when he told Jane that talking about her grandmother killed the mood. At least now hopefully he is permanently out of the picture because seeing Jane date her professor was gross for me.

Is Rose really dead or was that just someone with Rose's face? Poor Luisa. Let's hope that Rose's death (or "death") doesn't drive to really start drinking again. She was willing to live with tricking Rose, but knowing that setting her up led to her death might be too much for her to handle.

Jane's toast at Petra's shower was great: "Petra is...having two babies!" You can't beat that for honesty.

I always enjoy seeing Rogelio on set. I love that even though he was going back to the suffragette movement, he managed to get some lavender in this costume with the suspenders. Even though I knew it will throw a monkey wrench into everything, I'm looking forward to finding out more about Lola when she gets out of prison.

I don't understand why Michael thinks it's all over and Jane is safe now that Rose is (allegedly) dead. What about Mutter? She (supposedly) killed her own stepdaughter, she still doesn't have that chip back, and she's on the loose. What about any of that makes Michael think that Mutter won't come after Mateo or Jane?

Did we know that Mutter remarried after Rafael's father divorced her? When they revealed Rose as her stepdaughter in the previous episode, I was trying to remember the little we had been told about Rafael's mother up until now.