Type keyword(s) to search

Justice League (2017)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy.  Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat.  But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

Cast:

Ben Affleck : Bruce Wayne / Batman

Henry Cavill : Clark Kent / Superman (Assuming he's not dead)

Amy Adams : Lois Lane

Gal Gadot : Diana Prince / Wonder Woman

Ezra Miller : Barry Allen / The Flash

Jason Momoa : Arthur Curry / Aquaman

Ray Fisher : Victor Stone / Cyborg

Jeremy Irons : Alfred Pennyworth

Diane Lane : Martha Kent

Connie Nielsen : Queen Hippolyta

J.K. Simmons : Commissioner James Gordon

Story by Chris Terrio and Zack Snyder; Screenplay by Chris Terrio and Joss Whedon

Directed by Zack Snyder

Anticipated release date: November 17, 2017 (which is also the 25th anniversary of Superman #75... "The Death of Superman")

Official Site

justice-league-logo-black.jpg

I hope Brand New reviews that logo at some point because it is hideous!

Here are more details from Joblo.com (spoilers ahoy ahead):

Spoiler

Expect a lighter tone than BVS, which was focused on being more akin to Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, a much darker tale to begin with. Justice League is expected to be more of a fun, ensemble superhero piece that focuses on the building of the team and uniting to fight a common threat.

Justice League will have a heavy Jack Kirby influence, with the story revolving around the puruit of the three motherboxes, one from Earth, one from Atlantis, and one from The Amazonians.

The film takes places months after BVS, with Bruce heavily affected by Superman’s death and seeking to honor his sacrifice in building the Justice League. Rather than being a Batman on the edge, he is now a Batman full of hope, hinged entirely on created a team that can unite and fight common threats, while redeeming mankind, having learned his lessons in BVS.

A large part of the film focuses on Bruce assembling the team, with Superman’s return reserved for later in the film. About his comeback, Snyder was mum, although when I asked how his hair would be, Snyder joking said it might be “a little longer” which is significant if you remember the “Death of Superman” comics.

Amy Adams is back as Lois Lane.

In terms of villains, Steppenwolf is one of the key villains, although not necessarily the only one. The influence and presence of Darkseid is very much alive, with the parademons we saw in BVS once again appearing here. The role of Steppenwolf is expected to be cast soon. In addition, although not confirmed, it’s implied that Lex will have something to do with this story as well. How big or how little is unknown.

5 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I hope Brand New reviews that logo at some point because it is hideous!

Here are more details from Joblo.com (spoilers ahoy ahead):

Reveal hidden contents

Expect a lighter tone than BVS, which was focused on being more akin to Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, a much darker tale to begin with. Justice League is expected to be more of a fun, ensemble superhero piece that focuses on the building of the team and uniting to fight a common threat.

Justice League will have a heavy Jack Kirby influence, with the story revolving around the puruit of the three motherboxes, one from Earth, one from Atlantis, and one from The Amazonians.

The film takes places months after BVS, with Bruce heavily affected by Superman’s death and seeking to honor his sacrifice in building the Justice League. Rather than being a Batman on the edge, he is now a Batman full of hope, hinged entirely on created a team that can unite and fight common threats, while redeeming mankind, having learned his lessons in BVS.

A large part of the film focuses on Bruce assembling the team, with Superman’s return reserved for later in the film. About his comeback, Snyder was mum, although when I asked how his hair would be, Snyder joking said it might be “a little longer” which is significant if you remember the “Death of Superman” comics.

Amy Adams is back as Lois Lane.

In terms of villains, Steppenwolf is one of the key villains, although not necessarily the only one. The influence and presence of Darkseid is very much alive, with the parademons we saw in BVS once again appearing here. The role of Steppenwolf is expected to be cast soon. In addition, although not confirmed, it’s implied that Lex will have something to do with this story as well. How big or how little is unknown.

It just dawned on me that Affleck's influence is at work... the angled ends on the letters echo the Boston Red Sox uniform numbers!  :-D

1371619107_5d20fb8961.jpg

(edited)

From a Vulture set article, producer Deborah Snyder:

"If every film is a learning experience,” I asked her, “then what did you learn from Batman v Superman?”

She paused, and let a rueful smile slip out. “The main thing we learned, I think: People don’t like to see their heroes deconstructed.”

Just like her husband she doesn't get it. You have to build something up before you tear it apart. The Dark Knight Returns was a deconstruction of the Batman character after decades of characterization. Movies don't work like comic books, we JUST met this Batman, we have to know him before you deconstruct him.

You want us to relate to this Superman as if we've known him for years, you want us to react to the IDEA of Superman without putting in the work of defining who he is in this universe. 

They think people want more jokes, they think we want lighter and fluffier...they THINK that's what the major complaint was about. Or at least it seems that way.

At one point, costume designer Michael Wilkinson told us that the red in Wonder Woman’s costume had been enriched for this film because “We always talk about it as almost like centuries of congealed blood from her victims on her breastplate.”

So hArDC0re. 

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 5
(edited)

I had little interest in the Justice League movies because I have  found the DC Movieverse so far to be far too serious. But this footage has genuinely renewed my interest in the movie. It seems to have discovered the fun quality that exists in the Marvel movies and without falling into Batman & Robin territory (the reason I am convinced Warner had embraced the serious aspect of the movies so far). Now if they could some how be comfortable in ditching the monochromatic cinematography, I just might begin to enjoy the DC movies as much as their TV output

Edited by Bill1978
  • Love 1

This teaser is making it look like Snyder is director in name only.  This has Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns' fingerprints all over it, and that is awesome.  And that poster, Superman looks happy.  He doesn't look depressed or mad.

4 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

This teaser is making it look like Snyder is director in name only.  This has Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns' fingerprints all over it, and that is awesome.  And that poster, Superman looks happy.  He doesn't look depressed or mad.

Or dead.

• Love 2

Here's my reaction....

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh.

It's replacing the dark a bit too purposefully with cheese. They're making it look like "Ocean's Seven" (or however many actual members the Justice League is supposed to have this time around). 

I don't mind the idea, nor conceptually the tone, but I'm a bit worried about the risk of it instead skewing into being too smirky/self-aware. I can smell the possibility of endless winks to the camera (if not literal, then just endless figurative ones).

What I sense is that they tried to pull from what people were reacting to in Suicide Squad. Which isn't even out, but where people clearly fixated on the "Caper Film" aspect of it even from the beginning.

I won't say this won't work. But I'm worried it may wind up okay vs. excellent because they're too focused on what modern WB is always focused on--instant gratification. Sniffing out something formulaic, using the formula, and then trying to capitalize on it without the kind of patience and world-building Marvel does.

Can't say if I am totally on board with Flash turning into Spider-Man. I mean that's the vibe here. The young nerd with no social skills who hero worships the older hero. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Here's my reaction....

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh.

It's replacing the dark a bit too purposefully with cheese. They're making it look like "Ocean's Seven" (or however many actual members the Justice League is supposed to have this time around). 

I don't mind the idea, nor conceptually the tone, but I'm a bit worried about the risk of it instead skewing into being too smirky/self-aware. I can smell the possibility of endless winks to the camera (if not literal, then just endless figurative ones).

What I sense is that they tried to pull from what people were reacting to in Suicide Squad. Which isn't even out, but where people clearly fixated on the "Caper Film" aspect of it even from the beginning.

I won't say this won't work. But I'm worried it may wind up okay vs. excellent because they're too focused on what modern WB is always focused on--instant gratification. Sniffing out something formulaic, using the formula, and then trying to capitalize on it without the kind of patience and world-building Marvel does.

Can't say if I am totally on board with Flash turning into Spider-Man. I mean that's the vibe here. The young nerd with no social skills who hero worships the older hero. 

Dammit, Spock, must you always be so insightful?  But now that you mention it, yeah, you're right.   I already dislike Suicide Squad for the  "caper film" aspect and a script that appears to consist of one-liners.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, millennium said:

Dammit, Spock, must you always be so insightful?  But now that you mention it, yeah, you're right.   I already dislike Suicide Squad for the  "caper film" aspect and a script that appears to consist of one-liners.  

Mind you, I used to like Caper Films quite a lot, and still have a weakness for a truly excellent one. But the corner turned is when they become that self-aware smirky thing filled with endless one-liners. When its a formula first instead of an organic product. You wink at the camera? It's over. 

Suicide Squad at least is based on something that always WAS to a degree a caper-thing. Or at least a Dirty Dozen type thing. But I am worried about JL taking that approach. I'm not sure I see room in there for an actual plot, it will seem too overtly a copy of the style of Suicide Squad coming only a year later, the JL don't exactly ring that authentically as hard luck outlaws, and really the worst part... it's too obviously manipulative to try and get people back on WB's side.

That said, at least it would be watchable vs. Batshit vs. Superdrag.  Where even the Ultimate Edition apparently seems like a strange notion to people even if they think it all tracks much better.   I won't hate this kind of Justice League move, but I may just find it predictable and a bit boring outside the action set-pieces its sure to have wall to wall. 

Yeaaaaaah. Like I'm supposed to believe Batman is the one who forms the League, and not Superman?

Though I did love Ezra Miller in that teaser/trailer. I will say I'm on the...fence about this one. Because, though I like him as a director/writer, Affleck still SUCKS ASS as an actor and I'm still not over him playing my number one hero.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeaaaaaah. Like I'm supposed to believe Batman is the one who forms the League, and not Superman?

Though I did love Ezra Miller in that teaser/trailer. I will say I'm on the...fence about this one. Because, though I like him as a director/writer, Affleck still SUCKS ASS as an actor and I'm still not over him playing my number one hero.

I don't care for Ben's Batman either. 

Nor did I like what I saw of Barry/Flash. The dialogue seemed like it was trying to hard to be funny. I mean it's sad that a kid is going to join a group of heroes because he needs friends. 

I thought that Cyborg was half robot. It looks like his whole body is robot. 

I wish we got Flash and Cyborg's origin movies before the Justice League movie. But I will try not to complain and look forward to the movie. 

• Love 1

They didn't really know how to introduce Cyborg, did they? Aquaman and Flash get a recruiting pitch from Batman with a reference to their respective skills.

Cyborg . . kind of just shows up.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I agree with you on that, though I hated Eisenberg's Lex Luthor WAY MORE than Batfleck. Still, a thousand possible choices for actors and they pick HIM?!

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I agree with you on that, though I hated Eisenberg's Lex Luthor WAY MORE than Batfleck. Still, a thousand possible choices for actors and they pick HIM?!

Oh without a doubt, from what I saw of the teasers and trailers early on, he was AWFUL. Then again, I hated it when I heard they'd cast him because I hate him, too. There were so many, many reasons I didn't see that movie.

I remember saying that they should have picked Michael Rosembaum.  But it's all moot now.

Ahem

Topic:

I do find it interesting that Arthur/Aquaman isn't blonde. 

This is also another Barry Allen who isn't blonde.  Should I bother questioning why this Flash isn't the League's contemporary? And more like someone who's at least 10 years younger.  Or is it just this Batman who is supposed to be some aging hero?? And I should just shut up and accept that they aren't all supposed to be around the same age? I mean Miller is playing Barry, but looks and acts like a teen Wally/Bart.

But what do I know?

5 minutes ago, millennium said:

Ezra Miller's interpretation of Barry Allen didn't seem that far afield of Grant Gustin's -- in fact, it seemed so close I found myself asking why not Grant Gustin.

For the same reason there's no Michael Rosembaum as Luthor.

15 minutes ago, millennium said:

Ezra Miller's interpretation of Barry Allen didn't seem that far afield of Grant Gustin's -- in fact, it seemed so close I found myself asking why not Grant Gustin.

Because DC has multiple universes. 

• Love 1

I'm glad DC is committed to the multiverse. It's what I was saying in response to some of the B vs S complaints that the movieverse was supposed to be the definitive version of the characters--no, it's not. The movieverse is just one verse of these stories; it's not the ultimate canon. If Grant Gustin was in the movieverse, that wouldn't be so clear. 

I'm pretty excited. I like caper versions, and I think the cast looks great. Also, I am so psyched for the diverse casting... I don't think DC's gotten enough props for that. I wish Wonder Woman wasn't the only female superhero, though, but I do hope that will be rectified... at the very least, we'll have Mera in Aquaman.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Batman movies of the 90s.

Allowing Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns Earth 31 story to set the tone for nearly every Batman story after it.

Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The New 52.

Arrow.

Batman vs. Superman.

The multiple universe shit where fans have to guess and hope who might exist in what universe.

Stuff like that.

Edited by millennium
7 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Count me in as not a fan of this multi-universe stuff.

The alternative was having that asshole Synder run everything. That IS the way it would have gone if they'd felt they had to chose at some point.

(edited)

I rather enjoyed Ben Affleck's take on Batman, for me it worked in the universe presented to us in the movie.  If it weren't for the awesome appearance of Wonder Woman during the fight sequence, Affleck would have been my favorite part of the Batman V Superman movie.

I like the sardonic, world weary, I'm just beginning to hope again, come join our team glimpse of Bruce Wayne in the trailer; and I think Affleck has great chemistry with Gal Gadot.  I'm still not 100% sold on the film yet, but the tone of this trailer makes me somewhat optimistic for this film. 

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, millennium said:

The Batman movies of the 90s.

Allowing Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns Earth 31 story to set the tone for nearly every Batman story after it.

Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The New 52.

Arrow.

Batman vs. Superman.

The multiple universe shit where fans have to guess and hope who might exist in what universe.

Stuff like that.

When you mention the earlier Batman movies, are you including Burton's or just Schumacher's?

Why is Crisis on the list, particularly if you also mention the multiverse?  I can agree with, or at least understand, most of your other points.

The Burton movies especially.   Gimmicky, soulless, more about Burton's ego, Happy Meal toys and other product tie-ins than Batman.   Batman was an afterthought in Burton's movie.  He played second banana to the sets and the villains.   Jack Nicholson was the worst possible choice at the time for the Joker because Jack Nicholson is pathologically unable to play anyone but Jack Nicholson.   He set the template for celebrities playing themselves playing a Batman villain, i.e., Jim Carrey as the Riddler, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze, etc.   Even Michelle Pfeiffer, whom I think actually did try to act, couldn't pull it off as Catwoman.   I was one of those fans who was there on opening night of the first film, wearing my Batman t-shirt, hoping for fulfillment after years of waiting for a Batman movie, only to get a hokey, contrived piece of shit.   I should have walked out the moment the Batplane froze in mid-flight so Burton could clobber us over the head with the image of its silhouette against the moon.  See?  It's the Bat symbol.  Get it?  Get it?   

As for Crisis on Infinite Earths, I never had a problem with Earth 1 and Earth 2.   I liked Earth 2 and the annual Justice League crossovers or the occasional crossovers in other mags, like the Brave and the Bold.   Especially in the 1970s.   Back then, DC used to publish "Giant" issues of Batman, Detective, Action, Justice League, etc. which would contain the latest story but also reprint stories from the 50s and 60s featuring older versions of the title character(s).    Not only was that great because I had never read any of those stories before, but it familiarized me with the older versions, even if I wasn't around when those stories originally debuted.   When the older versions of Flash, Green Lantern, etc., (who looked significantly different than their later counterparts) showed up in the Earth 2 crossovers, there was never any confusion because I recognized the characters from the reprinted stories.

Frank Miller is said to have created the Dark Knight Returns series because he couldn't reconcile the fact that he was growing older but Batman wasn't, because Batman had been in his thirties or whatever for a decade.   DC made it sound like it was a problem too.   I still scratch my head over that.   All I can think is, "Hey morons!   It's a COMIC BOOK.  Batman can be 30-40 forever and it wouldn't make a difference.  He's a timeless character.   Are you telling me people can suspend disbelief that a man can fly or another man can generate a giant green sledgehammer of light from his little ring, but they can't get past Batman not becoming old and infirm?"

• Love 2
23 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The way they've set things up, it makes sense Batman would form the league as in BvS he feels he failed Superman and recognizes that with him gone and a HUGE threat coming, there needs to be an assembly of a team that can handle big time other worldly threats.

Batman from the comics is firmly in the 'I work alone/I don't trust any of you 100%' camp and is always the one that Supes or WW has to hard core recruit and even then he's only in for an honorary status and it for the current threat and then back to kicking ass in Gotham.

However, I will say that Daddy Bats and Momma WW creating their superfamily with awkward Barry, rebellious Vic, and drunk angry Uncle Arthur is 'cute'.

And by the same token I REALLY missed seeing Cavill and just the grandeur of Superman AND, yeah, he's the League Daddy with Batman usually the grumpy badass Uncle so I hope we get to see him take a leadership position. I have a feeling it might be reminiscent of the Tony and Steve power struggle we saw in Avengers.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Batman from the comics is firmly in the 'I work alone/I don't trust any of you 100%' camp and is always the one that Supes or WW has to hard core recruit and even then he's only in for an honorary status and it for the current threat and then back to kicking ass in Gotham.

But he's not really just a loner--he's (on this issue) just totally schizophrenic.

This is a vision of him that's out there and is used often as a storyline, but it's been counterbalanced in the comics for about 2/3rds of Batman's existence by a parallel version of him that not only is a team player, but can even be a team organizer. The comics do reign this back every few years though, often in a violent overreaction by Batsy, where he turns paranoid or overprotective. But then those arcs always end in Batman learning some lesson about the bad things that happen when he isolates himself.  Rise, repeat: cooperation period, paranoia and/or loner period, lesson leaned.  New cooperation period. An endless cycle. Not to be confused by the fact that even in his cooperation periods he may have solo adventures where a big deal is made of him going it alone. That's just the nature of storyarcs in one title vs. events they take line-wide. 

But every single Robin is about this part of Batman. Even the one who they had go bad (perhaps even moreso in that case). The Outsiders was about this--even while it was also about him pulling away from The Justice League. Endless decades of The Brave & The Bold was about Batman's tendency to team up with people. Indirectly one could argue that the Teen Titans existed at least in part as a reaction to Batman's push and pull on Dick Grayson--not because Batman was a loner, but because Batman's revelations about why he couldn't permanently be a loner never stuck. And other media used the nicer, "teamier" version of Batman a lot too. Batman '66. Superfriends. Even the DCAU version of Batsy leaned towards partnerships more often than not.  Even turning him into a grumpy old man in Batman Beyond simply leads to him finding another disciple. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Even the DCAU version of Batsy leaned towards partnerships more often than not.  Even turning him into a grumpy old man in Batman Beyond simply leads to him finding another disciple. 

I think I was thinking more of the early DCAU Justice League for his being a grumpy loner who dips in an out of JL and we just happen to catch the missions where he's dipped in.

And it is true that if he were really opposed to team ups, he'd never have had Robins in the first place. I think it's more that he'll team up when necessary but he doesn't have an issue when he has to go it alone. That's why I get why Bats is creating and leading the team for the JL movie because he knows it's needed and knows his skills don't cover alien/otherwordly power and speed.  Also he's a tactician that plans as opposed to Supes' leading the charge.

At the same time his control freak and abandonment issues could also be factored in as he's the type who is 'if you want it done right, do it yourself' and 'I don't want anyone to leave me, so I'll leave them first/don't need them at all.'

(edited)
20 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I mean Miller is playing Barry, but looks and acts like a teen Wally/Bart.

Yeah, it makes me wonder why they just didn't go with Wally West.  The little I've seen of Barry Allen in the animated films indicate that he's an adult, definitely a contemporary, and married to boot.  

On 7/24/2016 at 5:19 PM, xaxat said:

They didn't really know how to introduce Cyborg, did they? Aquaman and Flash get a recruiting pitch from Batman with a reference to their respective skills.

Cyborg . . kind of just shows up.

Agreed, not a good look. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 4