Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
MarkHB

Justice League (2017)

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I watched the Shazam trailer last night.  Looked kind of dumb, it appeared "Captain Marvel" (I guess they call him Shazam now, for legal reasons) retained Billy Batson's personality, for one thing.  I don't recall that being the case - IIRC, he had kind of a stripped down, inexperienced adult sort of personality.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the licensing deals and studios at play here.  Would Shazam be able to be featured in any future Justice League movies?  He has been a member in the comics.  I can see where they might not want to do it since his powers are similar to Superman's, but if his movie is successful why not?  But from what I saw, I don't expect it to be successful.

Captain Marvel was changed to retain Billy's personality / consciousness after Crisis on Infinite Earths, just after he and the Marvel Family were moved to the new, combined Earth and when he was mainly appearing in the Keith Giffen Justice League International. Later, I think after Flashpoint, they modified his powers to focus a bit more on electricity and their magical source. I assume both developments were to help differentiate him from Superman.

So far as I know, there's no reason he can't be treated as part of the Justice League, as the trailer and some set photos make clear that this is the same Earth as the prior films, and it's generally believed that this film went to New Line just as a tricky financial move.

Personally, I think the kid friendly angle is going to go over well; this might have the buzziest trailer coming out of Comic-Con.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

So far as I know, there's no reason he can't be treated as part of the Justice League, as the trailer and some set photos make clear that this is the same Earth as the prior films, and it's generally believed that this film went to New Line just as a tricky financial move.

Personally, I think the kid friendly angle is going to go over well; this might have the buzziest trailer coming out of Comic-Con.

If the movie is a success then Shazam is definitely going to appear in any future Justice League movie.  You can't sideline your popular characters.

Regarding the trailer, the bottom line is that they absolutely, positively had to lighten things up.   It's pretty clear the majority of the viewing public thinks DC stands for Dark and Crappy.  Marvel is at the point where it can absorb a misfire or two but DC can't.  Doing the exact opposite of Marvel backfired spectacularly - after this movie I don't think people were clamoring to see more of the JL in action whereas they definitely wanted to see more Avenging after the first movie.

• Like 6

I saw this a couple of months back, and thought it was terrible the first time I watched it.  The second time, it was less terrible, but still incoherent.  My favorite scenes were zombie!Superman handing everyone their asses, and his utter contempt for Batman during the "you won't let me live/you won't let me die" dialogue.  Cavill has been wasted because of WB/DC's floundering.  I thought Affleck was okay in BvS, but he was a bloated mess in this.  Years ago, I wondered how Cavill would have been as Bruce Wayne/Batman, but we'll never know.  

In any case, I didn't expect this to be worse than BvS, but it managed.  I wasn't sure where the studio could go from this mess, but Aquaman looks decent based on the trailers. I assume they'll try to recast Batman at some point, it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rmontro said:
12 hours ago, Trini said:

And yes, the swirls of electricity are now in the current Flash comics' artwork.

Do you know if they started doing this before or after the TV show did?  

[Hiding since it's not about the movie:]

Spoiler

I don't actually read the comics; but looking through DC's lists/galleries, it's definitely a part of the current Rebirth series, which started in 2016. With the previous Flash series - 'the New 52' (2011-2016) - it's been in some covers. The TV show started in 2014.

411675._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

In any case, I didn't expect this to be worse than BvS, but it managed. 

To me it seemed obvious that the studio was in a "throw it out the door and wash our hands of it" mood.  Personally, I think by itself it's an enjoyable enough movie, but for those of us who liked MoS and BvS it was an ill-fitting, disappointing conclusion to the trilogy.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:00 PM, MarkHB said:

To me it seemed obvious that the studio was in a "throw it out the door and wash our hands of it" mood.  Personally, I think by itself it's an enjoyable enough movie, but for those of us who liked MoS and BvS it was an ill-fitting, disappointing conclusion to the trilogy.

All three movies are flawed.  I thought MoS was horrible, and BvS was disappointing.  Justice League is not very good, but at least it's some light hearted fun in parts.

Finally caught this the other day, and thought it was OK, but when your movie with Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman is only OK, you've already failed.  I didn't feel the connection with any of the characters like I do in a Marvel movie.  Affleck was all right as Batman and Gal was good as Wonder Woman,  Henry Cavill finally started to feel a little more like Superman, in the previous movies I thought he was much better as Clark Kent.  Cyborg was just kind of there (definitely should have had a solo movie first), Ezra Miller suffers in comparison to Grant Gustin, and Momoa stole every scene he was in, even though Aquaman felt like a combination of the old comics character and Maui from Moana.

The CG was really over the top and Steppenwolf felt like a poor copy of Thanos.  Even though the history of the last Alliance of Amazons, Atlanteans and Men (and some others) was clearly ripped off from Lord of the Rings, they might as well steal from the best.  Plus it sets things up for a Green Lantern movie.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:11 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

You did? I didn't hear any of that, and I LOVE Elfman's theme, have it as one of my ringtones, so know when I hear it.  And Williams' theme is so ICONIC, I can't believe I wouldn't have recognized it. But I don't feel like rewatching to confirm it. And ditto for everything else above.

Didn't catch Elfman's theme, but the Williams theme shows up when Superman is fighting Flash in front of the memorial wall.  It was cool to hear it again, but it seemed like an odd moment to put that theme in, as opposed to when Superman shows up to fight Steppenwolf or when he and Cyborg pull the motherboxes apart.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Cyborg was just kind of there (definitely should have had a solo movie first),

I don't know if a solo movie was necessary; but I do think that we needed to see more of his story.

Ezra Miller suffers in comparison to Grant Gustin,

It's kind of an unfair comparison, since he was mostly comic relief in this. I'm patiently waiting for his solo so that we can see more range.

• Like 2

I thought Miller was decent in his first scene with Affleck and in the gravedigging scene with Fisher,  but at other points they leaned his character way too hard into the nerdy awkwardness and made me cringe.

• Like 1

I watched this but...Affleck as Batman is still painful to watch. Also, how did Batman know Steppenwolf was looking for these boxes before Diana told him?

• Like 2

On 8/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, Lugal said:

Didn't catch Elfman's theme, but the Williams theme shows up when Superman is fighting Flash in front of the memorial wall.  It was cool to hear it again, but it seemed like an odd moment to put that theme in, as opposed to when Superman shows up to fight Steppenwolf or when he and Cyborg pull the motherboxes apart.

The Elfman theme appeared when Batman and the others met Gordon after Gordon flashed the bat signal.  The first shot of Gordon looking up at Batman has the theme playing in the background.  The scene is on YouTube for anyone interested, just search “Gordon Justice League.”

Edited by Peace 47

I'd have preferred if they just left him looking like that rather than the freakish CGI makeover we got.

What, Mother Box resurrecting Superman from the dead after almost 2 years (and disintegrating his jacket, shirt and belt, while miraculously leaving his pants intact!) is fine, but causing a little facial hair growth in the process that he wouldn't take time to shave off in light of the impending apocalypse was a bridge too far?

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Dang! Slow again!!

Seriously, though, let’s say JL had been delayed while Snyder took care of family business. Would it have been better than what we wound up getting?

No, remember Snyder is the one who wanted Jimmy Olsen to appear only to be executed onscreen and okayed all of... whatever that was Jesse Eisenberg was doing instead of playing Lex Luthor. It would still suck, just in a different way.

• Like 3

Yeah considering what a garbage fire Batman v Superman was, I have no doubt the Snyder cut of JL would have been even more terrible.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 1:07 PM, Lantern7 said:

Seriously, though, let’s say JL had been delayed while Snyder took care of family business. Would it have been better than what we wound up getting?

My thoughts are: the theatrical cut of JL was an entertaining movie, but for those of us who really liked MoS and BvS, it was in almost every way imaginable an extremely poor conclusion to the trilogy.