Type keyword(s) to search

The Daily Planet: Powerless in the Media

On 4/26/2017 at 9:08 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Just heard the news.  Can't say I'm surprised, but still a little bummed.  It wasn't a perfect show, but I felt like the past few episodes were pretty solid, and the show was starting to find itself.  It felt like they were tightening a few things and a lot of the stuff I wasn't a fan of (mainly the way everyone was piling on Emily), was being toned down.  Alas, it was too late.  It feel like comedies really have it hard.  If they don't hit the ground running, they are doomed.  And being set in a comic book universe makes it even harder, I suspect.

Yes, I really felt that the show was finding itself too, and if it was given more of a chance that it would have. I guess that's just impossible nowadays if a show is on network tv though which is sad because of how many classic shows would have been canceled before they found their ground. 

I felt NBC didn't help that much either since they kept airing episodes out of order, didn't show it for two weeks in a row and I didn't find out that it wasn't going to be shown for a particular week until Thursday night when I saw something else was on instead of Powerless.

• Love 3

NBC pretty much sabotaged this one.  They kept screwing with the order of the episodes, and pre-empting the show for a rerun of another show.  NBC should never have gotten this show because they just don't understand the superhero movement.  The show would have done better on CBS after Big Bang or CW in front of any of the DC shows.  Heck, if it went to the CW, they could have done crossovers with the characters since the shows are all in the DC universe.  Imagine Teddy and Ron designing new running shoes for The Flash. 

• Love 7

I am sorry about this news as I enjoyed this show, and looked forward to it when it was actually on...

I thought the concept was really fun, but also thought they had a hard time finding their footing (but I enjoyed the show anyway).

• Love 2

NBC pretty much sabotaged this one.  They kept screwing with the order of the episodes, and pre-empting the show for a rerun of another show.

So once again, Alan Tudyk got Fireflied?  

There's also something surreal about (for now) the last episode that aired had Vanessa Hudgens singing.  I think this show would have worked better as an about-13-episodes a year show, because the cast is amazing but a lot of episodes where you draw from canon but it's not clear as to if your show IS canon can create writing challenges.  Sometimes those challenges are solved (good episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), sometimes not (whatever superhero show you liked least.)

• Love 1

So I wonder if NBC is going to save the unaired episodes for a DVD or if they even think the expense would be worth it. They should put them up online.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, newyawk said:

So I wonder if NBC is going to save the unaired episodes for a DVD or if they even think the expense would be worth it. They should put them up online.

The NBC site says that Powerless "returns soon."  Whether that means anything at all is anyone's guess.

4 hours ago, newyawk said:

DVDs are up  to the production company, so WB. Considering that this didn't even get one full season, and didn't get to air all the episodes, DVDs are a long shot. But not impossible.

There are actually 2 more, No Consequences Day and Van of the Year. But YES! to a DVD set!

ETA: That was me cheering the idea, not making an announcement. :)

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MarkHB said:

There are actually 2 more, No Consequences Day and Van of the Year. But YES! to a DVD set!

ETA: That was me cheering the idea, not making an announcement. :)

I wish they would put the last 2 on YouTube. 

• Love 3

I don't know where they came from, but the other two unaired episodes can be found on the internet. I don't think they were officially released or aired anywhere, so it's probably a leak.

53 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

The Adam West episode is up on Hulu if that helps anybody.  It was funny and of course touching given his death (he looked like he was enjoying himself).

But not closed-captioned. DC can't afford a transcriber?  Come on!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Does it cost NBC anything to put the unaired episodes on their website?  Do they need permission from DC?  It seems a logical thing to do.

4 hours ago, Trini said:

It's probably less about what it costs, and more about 'what does it profit us?'

Well, they can run ads with it, even if it's only ads for other NBC shows or NBCUniversal movies.

6 hours ago, jah1986 said:

When I watched it last night it was close captioned on Hulu, maybe because I have my tv set up to close caption everything?

YASSSSSS!!!  It's on Hulu!  And captioned!!!!  Off to watch...