Type keyword(s) to search

Meisner: Some Things Are Best Left Shirtless

3 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Could it be possible that Meisner is from a Wesen family but somehow, the Wesen gene skipped him? Maybe he has a Wesen grandparent but the rest are just regular humans?

My thought has always been he comes from a Grimm family, but any Wesen family would do.  I just pictured him as coming from a Grimm family for some reason because he's pretty powerful. He may just not have ALL the Grimm abilities. He definitely is a badass fighter. But then, Puckler IS a badass martial artist, so it's not a far stretch for me to believe that the guy can take down a Wesen.

I also at first thought that he might either be a Grimm or comes from a Grimm family, but now I am thinking that he might come from a Wesen family only because he was with the Resistance, back in Europe. Yeah, Kelly was also part of the Resistance but in my mind, it makes more sense that he comes from a Wesen family and/or has Wesen recessive traits, but that he might had a fallen out with them- and that is why he knows a lot about the Wesen world (and he seems to know a lot about the Wesen world for a regular human) and doesn't mind hanging out with Grimms. 

The show has never been clear on recessive traits for either Grimm or wesen, have they? From Monroe and Rosalee's obscure comments about wesen procreation, and the fact that we've only seen one wesen with mixed traits (the result of genetic engineering), it seems that the offspring of different species of wesen are one or the other, not a mixture of both. And wesen/human offspring are the same--wesen or human, not a mixture. Genetically, of course, even those who present as human must have some wesen in them. I don't think we've seen any evidence that this recessive wesenality or Grimminality gives one any special abilities. So it might not contribute much to Meisner's badassness. But it might explain why he is so easily accepted in wesen circles. Nobody seems to be balking at the fact that a regular old human was a key player in the Resistance and is now basically running the show over at Hadrian's Wall.

And then there's the Royals who aren't wesen, I guess. But didn't Kenneth seem to be kind of super-strong? Can Royals see wesen? 

(edited)

I have a working fan theory (that would probably never make it to the show but I have given up all hope that this show will ever explain this, so....):

First, all Grimms came from the several German Knight families,  who were, of course, German nobility that went on a Crusade sometime in the Early Middle Ages, that were at one time Wesen. Once they found the Magic Healing Stick, they became Grimms (though the fact that they started to intermarriage between other Wesen groups) and doled out their Grimm justice in the name of their Lords (a.k.a. the Seven Royal Families) and also just being murder happy individuals that Wesen lore claims that they are. The Royal Families have at least one ancestor (in each family, but they are not related to each other) that was a Wesen. This way they are not only in the know about Wesens and Grimms but have been accepted (for a time) by the general Wesen community. The Grimms just acted as enforcers for these Royal families through the centuries. Each Grimm has a "need" or desire to catalogue/record the different types of Wesens they come across, how to defeat said Wesen, to collect all necessary and magical items to defeat Wesens, to draw each Wesen,  and also to pass this knowledge down to the next Grimm in their family or give the information to another Grimm. 

Now, if two different Wesens have a child, there is a possibility that this child would only inherent one Wesen trait, stay as a regular human, or turn into a Grimm. Since there was a possibility that a child may become a Grimm, marriage between different Wesens was discourage, to the point where we have the Wesearian (sp?)  (which was the group that kidnapped Monroe) being formed to prevent any possibility of a formation of a Grimm to happen. Sure over time, the group became basically a cross between Nazis and KKK and the original reason why they were formed was forgotten and so was how a Grimm was formed, 

As with Meisner, he is from a mixed marriage between two different Wesens and that instead of becoming a Grimm he is just a regular old human that is a bit stronger than a regular human. Since the Royals do have Wesen ancestry, they too are a bit stronger but their Wesen heritage is further back in time than Meisner's Wesen heritage. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Kelly told Nick the seven knights on the Crusade were Grimm's and their ancestors who found some object and decided it was way too important to give back to the Royal's that funded their adventure.

We already have special snowflake not dead Juliette Eve who was once "normal", so why can't Meisner just be some martial art dude that knows about wesens?

(edited)

Yeah, the show is overrun with special snowflakes-- JuliEve, Diana, Adalind. I would prefer it if Meisner is simply a badass fighter, without any physical enhancements. To me, that's more impressive: his "super power" is normal human talent, plus years of training and hard work.

That said, I guess I wouldn't mind if he were the Grimm equivalent of a Squib (from a Grimm family but not a Grimm), just because his personality goes against the trope, as we've seen it play out in Harry Potter. He's not lacking in confidence; he's not bitter; he doesn't seem to want to be what he isn't, but makes the most of what he can do; he doesn't have a lot of cats ;-)

Edited by tpel
On 5/1/2016 at 10:09 PM, tpel said:

Yeah, the show is overrun with special snowflakes-- JuliEve, Diana, Adalind. I would prefer it if Meisner is simply a badass fighter, without any physical enhancements. To me, that's more impressive: his "super power" is normal human talent, plus years of training and hard work.

I agree.  That's why Batman >> Superman.

It's easy to be a superhero when a person has special powers.  [I'm looking at you, Zombie Nick.]  I hope that Meisner is a normal human who doesn't need to be a Grimm or a wesen to fight.

(edited)
On 4/25/2016 at 2:01 PM, tpel said:

I've been re-watching season 3, and something struck me as amusing. When Meisner is tailing Adalind in the bar, he makes absolutely no attempt at subterfuge. I mean none; when she looks at him, he just stares right back at her intensely. In the context of that setting, this isn't a terrible strategy. They are in a bar; he could be assertively checking out a pretty girl. OK, a very pregnant pretty girl, but to each his own. What made me laugh was recalling Sebastian's instructions to Meisner about obtaining Adalind's medical records. Sebastian specified that this needed to be done subtly, prompting Meisner to quip something about "not like last time". I think this scene was just meant to show a difference in Sebastian and Meisner's personalities. But now I'm imagining Meisner taking a ridiculously direct approach to everything -- like going into the medical clinic and punching people until someone gives him the record he wants. Hey, he's an assassin, not a spy!

Is it weird to quote myself? Anyway, I think last week gave us another example of this character trait. Meisner is in Diana's room in the safe house. He hears a noise and quickly turns off his flashlight. That makes sense, right? Don't want whoever is coming into the house to see that you're there. Maybe you can catch them by surprise. But then Meisner walks right out to the living room to meet the intruder. What's the point of turning off the flashlight if you're just going to come out into the open anyway? Now, to be fair, it is possible that in the time it took him to leave Diana's room he made an auditory assessment of the situation: he could hear that it was only one or two goons, not an army. If he was ridiculously outnumbered or outgunned, perhaps he would have opted for stealth, and turning off the flashlight when he did left him that option. Still, I find his strong preference for direct engagement to be endearing, though maybe not always wise.

Edited by tpel
  • Love 1

Anyone else worried about our guy? In the series finale preview he appears . . . not once. And there's a dramatic scene of Trubel saying "There's no one here to fight Black Claw but us." Here's hoping Meisner is just incapacitated, not dead. I mean, it is not that surprising that he doesn't appear in a preview, being a minor character who is prone to disappearing for several episodes at a time. But Trubel's statement has me concerned.

2 hours ago, tpel said:

Anyone else worried about our guy? In the series finale preview he appears . . . not once. And there's a dramatic scene of Trubel saying "There's no one here to fight Black Claw but us." Here's hoping Meisner is just incapacitated, not dead. I mean, it is not that surprising that he doesn't appear in a preview, being a minor character who is prone to disappearing for several episodes at a time. But Trubel's statement has me concerned.

I have no idea, but this is Grimm and they do all kinds of silly crap.

3 minutes ago, Lii said:

Well, he's not a Hexenbiest, so probably they forgot he exists?

Who knows.  I don't think the show has any clue what he is.  I read a post on another board where someone said that they read an interview back in the early seasons where K/G/C said that they didn't know (or hadn't decided on) what Renard was until season 2, when it became easy, plot-wise, to be a zauberbiest.  So, you know, there's still time....at least 13 episodes (unless, of course, Meisner bites it in the next two/season finale).

Just now, OtterMommy said:

Who knows.  I don't think the show has any clue what he is.  I read a post on another board where someone said that they read an interview back in the early seasons where K/G/C said that they didn't know (or hadn't decided on) what Renard was until season 2, when it became easy, plot-wise, to be a zauberbiest.  So, you know, there's still time....at least 13 episodes (unless, of course, Meisner bites it in the next two/season finale).

Then he's definitely a secret Hexie. And also secretly Diana's dad. And Kelly's mom. And my mom. And one of Juliette's wigs.

• Love 2
Just now, Lii said:

Then he's definitely a secret Hexie. And also secretly Diana's dad. And Kelly's mom. And my mom. And one of Juliette's wigs.

Personally, I think he should be an eisbieber gone rogue...

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Personally, I think he should be an eisbieber gone rogue...

The Leader of Eisbeibers. Justin Eisbeiber.

• Love 3

Hee -- a badass Eisbieber :-)  

That would actually explain how he could see others woge, yet never woges himself. I don't think the cute and cuddly wesen get much of a strength boost by woging. And being seen as kind of adorable wouldn't help intimidate one's opponent in a fight . . .

How sad is it that our crack! theory actually makes more sense than anything the writers will come up with?

• Love 1

Wouldn't be the first time, though. I bet the Justin Eisbeiber theory alone would answer like at least six of the plotholes in the plothole thread. The writers are seriously not even trying at all.

• Love 1

I had a bad feeling that this might happen  :-(

We finally have confirmation -- enough to convince me, at least -- that Meisner was neither wesen nor Grimm. He was human. Proof that you don't have to be "special" to kick ass.

I felt bad for Trubel. For a moment she looked like a little girl, sitting next to his body, crying. They had a rocky start, but I think she had grown attached to him.

I'm bummed that we won't get to see Meisner reunited with Diana. I was hoping for a scene where she's wreaking havoc and everyone else is at a loss as to what to do, and he just tells her to knock it off, and she does. 

• Love 3

I'm feeling the need for a "In Memory Of" video, or at least a gif, of his shirtlessness....complete with Sarah MacLachlan's "Angel" in the background of course.

Err. Don't mind me. I'm just mainlining Haagen Daaz now, and weeping at what was lost...

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, saoirse said:

I'm feeling the need for a "In Memory Of" video, or at least a gif, of his shirtlessness....complete with Sarah MacLachlan's "Angel" in the background of course.

Err. Don't mind me. I'm just mainlining Haagen Daaz now, and weeping at what was lost...

Me too! I think that is the first time this entire season that I shed real tears! And maybe it's proof that the writers DO read the boards...since all the rumors of a "well liked"character biting the dust...everyone was assuming it was one of the main regulars.  Anyone reading this board knows how we love our Meisner! 

• Love 1

I love the idea of a virtual memorial to Our Favorite Ninja, though I lack the technological skills to contribute video.

Calling him "well liked" is interesting. I think, among fans, some of us love him, some like him as eye-candy, and some don't care much about him. But, among the other characters on the show, he is surprisingly well liked, given that, on paper, he is a mercenary who communicates mostly by punching people. Nick respects him, even if they didn't always see eye-to-eye. Trubel saw him as a mentor, maybe a friend. Adalind, who is not known for relating to people without an agenda, seemed to have straight-forward affection for him. Diana liked him. Even Renard really hated killing him. Eve seemed upset at losing him, even though he beat her (her hexenbiest?) into submission just a season ago. He is not the most beloved character on the show -- that would probably go to Monroe or Rosalee -- but he may be the one who is well liked by the most diverse set of other characters, including characters who aren't good guys, and who don't like many people.

• Love 3

I think killing off Meisner was actually pretty gratuitous.  No one is going to probably ever mention him again.  He wasn't around much lately, now he is suddenly in the right place to get killed by Black Claw.  HW in Portland is decimated for now, but Trubel survives and Eve might still have super hexie powers.  And Black Claw has had its ranks thinned, too.  So it really wasn't necessary.  They just had to kill off somebody, so they picked him.  I'm glad it wasn't one of the other favorites, but it didn't need to be Meisner, either.  Nick had his brush with death, bunches of others were killed, they didn't need to go there. 

• Love 2

Wow.  Meisner is dead?  The writers did a death fake out with Hank and Wu, and the culprit ended up being Meiser?!  

Now, let's rewind the tape and Meisner passes out before Renard shoots him.  Fifteen minutes later, Nick, Hank, Truble and not dead Juliette Eve arrive at HW to find Meisner crawling toward the door.  Nick and Hank take Meisner back to the fome and use the magic stick!  Meisner informs Nick and Hank that they all need to play along since Renard is their inside man with BC!  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, tpel said:

I'm bummed that we won't get to see Meisner reunited with Diana. I was hoping for a scene where she's wreaking havoc and everyone else is at a loss as to what to do, and he just tells her to knock it off, and she does. 

This!  I wanted them reunited.  And I really wanted him and Adalind together too.  In an interview the writers and producers said they forgot to tell the actor that he was getting killed before he read the script.  Very thoughtful of them.  It explains a lot.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, dirtydi said:

This!  I wanted them reunited.  And I really wanted him and Adalind together too.  In an interview the writers and producers said they forgot to tell the actor that he was getting killed before he read the script.  Very thoughtful of them.  It explains a lot.

What? That is ridiculous. If I were Damien Puckler, I'd be glad to be off the show....

(Still hoping he lands another show...soon!)

• Love 1
(edited)

So, I heard that Meisner is dead (I didn' see the episode(s) live), really? IMO,  he was one of the best characters they had on the show and they just killed him off?

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

It was rude not to tell Damien he was losing his acting gig!  I will now watch whatever acting gig DP lands from now on!

Hmmmm.  I think the show wanted to make sure fans were not clamoring for Adalind/Meisner, because Renard needs a love interest now that Diana killed Rachel and Nick/not dead Juliette Eve is coming a mile away!

I am now jumping on the bandwagon that has Meisner/Adalind/Diana all running off and Renard is alone with his sexy self!

• Love 1
(edited)

I can picture it now behind the scenes:

Writer 1: "we're killing off Meisner. Who wants to tell Damian he's fired ."

Writer 2:"well, s***, IM not gonna do it!"

Writer 3: "me neither. I don't even have seniority."

Writer 4: "well don't look at me! I didn't write this dumb script,"

So then they draw lots.

And the one with the short stick skips town. 

So Damian shows up for work to find out his character is being killed off. And his thought is "well, dang, they're tossing me overboard. Off a sinking ship. A www..well. Whatevs." And then he gives that great deadpan comment on the phone (as Meisner) "Renard is here. I think he's gonna kill me." Whatevs.

And then he wipes off the fake blood from his face,,shakes everyone's hand and wishes them luck in their final 13 hours. And then he's off to greener pastures. 

Edited by neuromom
  • Love 2

Hmmmm.  I think the show wanted to make sure fans were not clamoring for Adalind/Meisner, because Renard needs a love interest now that Diana killed Rachel and Nick/not dead Juliette Eve is coming a mile away!

Something had to have changed in their plans because they showed the audience that Meisner was carrying a torch for Adalind and while Adalind had feelings for Nick, she also had feelings for Meisner. For whatever reason they decided to not go with Meisnalind and Diana ever after even though the fans were for it. Which sucks. 

Sadly, I don't think Adalind will be for Renard, I think she'll make a heroic mommy sacrifice to take out a crazed power hungry Renard to save Nick and Kelly so Kelly can be raised by Juliette and Nick. Diana will have been sorased to take care of herself. 

It's sad how a recurring character is nicely set up and liked by fans and TPTB finally get the actor as a regular and have no idea how to use them and waste all that's awesome about them and then kill them off. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Something had to have changed in their plans because they showed the audience that Meisner was carrying a torch for Adalind and while Adalind had feelings for Nick, she also had feelings for Meisner. For whatever reason they decided to not go with Meisnalind and Diana ever after even though the fans were for it. Which sucks. 

That is because the FBers and the tweeters wanted Nadalind, even if it made far less sense (and was far less believable) than Meisnalind.  With Grimm, all they care about is what is said on social media...even though the vast majority of viewers do not interact with the show that way.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

That is because the FBers and the tweeters wanted Nadalind, even if it made far less sense (and was far less believable) than Meisnalind.  With Grimm, all they care about is what is said on social media...even though the vast majority of viewers do not interact with the show that way.

Exactly.  I do not use FB or Tweet, but do visit various boards to interact with other posters.  

The show is listening to loud and sometime rude fans on social media versus finding out why non social media fans are tuning out in droves.

Maybe if it was Meisner and Adalind shacked up for eight months in the fome it would have saved DP's job!

On 5/21/2016 at 3:01 PM, Darklazr said:

Now, let's rewind the tape and Meisner passes out before Renard shoots him.  Fifteen minutes later, Nick, Hank, Truble and not dead Juliette Eve arrive at HW to find Meisner crawling toward the door.  Nick and Hank take Meisner back to the fome and use the magic stick!  Meisner informs Nick and Hank that they all need to play along since Renard is their inside man with BC!

Darklazr, I love this idea; it feels very in-character for everyone involved. Since the show won't give me this, I want to write it myself as a story. Do you mind if I run with your idea?

21 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I do wonder if getting rid of Meisner was a way to make fans forget how much hotter the chemistry was between him and Adalind than it is between Nick and Adalind. But I also think TobinAlbers might be right that Adalind will make a heroic "mommy sacrifice", so the point might be moot anyway. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tpel said:

Darklazr, I love this idea; it feels very in-character for everyone involved. Since the show won't give me this, I want to write it myself as a story. Do you mind if I run with your idea?

I do wonder if getting rid of Meisner was a way to make fans forget how much hotter the chemistry was between him and Adalind than it is between Nick and Adalind. But I also think TobinAlbers might be right that Adalind will make a heroic "mommy sacrifice", so the point might be moot anyway. 

Go for it!

On 5/26/2016 at 2:41 PM, tpel said:

Here is a link to the first chapter: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11964548/1/The-Beginning-of-the-End-An-Alternative

And, for those who like puppies better than fanfic, here is a link to a short film that Damien Puckler made, co-starring his dog: https://vimeo.com/13710655

The film, Roxy, is only 12 minutes long, but it is important to watch it to the very end.

Woo Hoo!  All it took was a little imagination to keep Meisner alive and on the show.  There are times the writers just don't seem to get what makes fans tune in week after week.

So, this is interesting....

I follow Damien Puckler* (and the rest of the cast) on Instagram and Puckler is having his own unofficial giveaway....all you have to do for a chance to win some autographed Grimm goodies is to enter what Wesen you think Meisner should have been had he lived.

So, first of all, I'm picking up a bit of a passive aggressive vibe with this (which is always fun).  And it sounds like Puckler knew/felt that the show had no clue what to do with him.

Anyway, this gave me a chuckle.

* Looks like his fan club is running it, but Puckler is definitely involved in it.

5 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

So, this is interesting....

I follow Damien Puckler* (and the rest of the cast) on Instagram and Puckler is having his own unofficial giveaway....all you have to do for a chance to win some autographed Grimm goodies is to enter what Wesen you think Meisner should have been had he lived.

So, first of all, I'm picking up a bit of a passive aggressive vibe with this (which is always fun).  And it sounds like Puckler knew/felt that the show had no clue what to do with him.

Anyway, this gave me a chuckle.

* Looks like his fan club is running it, but Puckler is definitely involved in it.

Meisner was a badass human with martial art skills that clearly knew a lot about the wesen world and he used that knowledge over and over!

1 hour ago, Darklazr said:

Meisner was a badass human with martial art skills that clearly knew a lot about the wesen world and he used that knowledge over and over!

You're right...and I think making him human was probably the best idea for the show.  That being said, I think he was human only because TPTB couldn't think of or agree on what else he might be.

54 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

You're right...and I think making him human was probably the best idea for the show.  That being said, I think he was human only because TPTB couldn't think of or agree on what else he might be.

The fact that was just a badass human who knew about the Wesen world was what was presented and it was cool that they never explained why but part of me always wanted to think (as part of  my headcanon) that Meisner was a child of two Wesens and he just didn't get to transform into a Wesen/didn't inherit the dominate Wesen genes (maybe because he was a child of two Wesens) or was a recessive Grimm. Either way that would explain why he was so aware of the Wesen world but also the fact that he was just a normal human farting around in the Wesen world. It would explain why he not only knew about the Wesen rebellion but also was an active participate in it and even choose a side. 

• Love 1
Just now, TVSpectator said:

The fact that was just a badass human who knew about the Wesen world was what was presented and it was cool that they never explained why but part of me always wanted to think (as part of  my headcanon) that Meisner was a child of two Wesens and he just didn't get to transform into a Wesen/didn't inherit the dominate Wesen genes (maybe because he was a child of two Wesens) or was a recessive Grimm. Either way that would explain why he was so aware of the Wesen world but also the fact that he was just a normal human farting around in the Wesen world. It would explain why he not only knew about the Wesen rebellion but also was an active participate in it and even choose a side. 

See, that sounds like an interesting backstory/explanation.  Because, as badass as he was, we were still never given any sort of explanation of why he was involved in this world (besides the dead girlfriend....which we knew 2 things: 1 - He had a girlfriend and 2 - she was dead).

I think Meisner as a human was a good idea (because he was already more interesting than anyone else on the show), but I don't think that the writers thought, "You know, we should just make him a badass human!"  Instead, I think they had this conversation:

"Let's make him a zauberbiest!"

"No, let's make him a Grimm!"

"No, he's a ghost!"

"No, he's the flying spaghetti monster!"

"Look, the script is due tomorrow and he has to be something...."

"Oh, okay...let's just make him human and maybe no one will ask any questions."

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

See, that sounds like an interesting backstory/explanation.  Because, as badass as he was, we were still never given any sort of explanation of why he was involved in this world (besides the dead girlfriend....which we knew 2 things: 1 - He had a girlfriend and 2 - she was dead).

I think Meisner as a human was a good idea (because he was already more interesting than anyone else on the show), but I don't think that the writers thought, "You know, we should just make him a badass human!"  Instead, I think they had this conversation:

"Let's make him a zauberbiest!"

"No, let's make him a Grimm!"

"No, he's a ghost!"

"No, he's the flying spaghetti monster!"

"Look, the script is due tomorrow and he has to be something...."

"Oh, okay...let's just make him human and maybe no one will ask any questions."

Yeah, that conversation probably did happen and as sad as it sounds it's probably the truth. The writers just didn't know or cared enough to give Meisner a backstory other than he had a girlfriend that may or may not have been a Wesen- well, I don't remember it ever being explained that his girlfriend was a Wesen and that was the reason he knew so much about the Wesen world, but who knows.... In my opinion, the writers probably didn't care what Meisner might have been and just didn't explained it because of apathy. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Darklazr said:

I still vote for human Meisner!  It is rather cool to have someone besides Hank that is normal on this show without any so-called powers or wesen by birth that can kick ass and take a few names!   

I'm not saying it is a bad thing that he was human.  Heck, as a human he was already sucking attention from....what was his name?....Nate?  What I'm saying is that *they way they made him a human* did a disservice to the character.  Think of how much more awesome he would have been if we had been shown *why* he's such a badass.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I'm not saying it is a bad thing that he was human.  Heck, as a human he was already sucking attention from....what was his name?....Nate?  What I'm saying is that *they way they made him a human* did a disservice to the character.  Think of how much more awesome he would have been if we had been shown *why* he's such a badass.

Maybe if the show cut down on all of the Adalind or Juliette scenes and slipped in several of Meisner's past life, that would have been awesome!

• Love 1
Just now, Darklazr said:

Maybe if the show cut down on all of the Adalind or Juliette scenes and slipped in several of Meisner's past life, that would have been awesome!

Yeah, I would have (assuming I actually watched season 5) much rather have had more Meisner and less Adalind....  In fact, the only time I found Adalind interesting was when she was with Meisner.

30 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

Yeah, I would have (assuming I actually watched season 5) much rather have had more Meisner and less Adalind....  In fact, the only time I found Adalind interesting was when she was with Meisner.

I always thought that Meisner was a good character alone and the actor was able to work off of any of the other actors (including CC) very well. IMO, it's a sing of a good actor to have chemistry with everyone you share a screen with. 

• Love 1