Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Next World

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

So, are we to think that this was Rick and Michonne's first time? I've watched it three times, and I can't decide.

Also, thank you show for making me care about Daryl again for the first time in a while.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 2

No, No, No. Can't kill Carl. The entire TWD story is all about Carl. He represents the bridge between the pre-ZA world and the apocalyptic world they have now. Baby Judith was born after the ZA, so it really isn't about her. Everything Rick does is about creating a survivable world for those who survived the ZA, and they are represented by Carl. He might be damaged, as with his eye, but he will make it. I will be very, very surprised if he doesn't.

Thematically, I agree.  But I could imagine that Chandler Riggs might be getting tired of the role now that he's almost 17.  Or he might want to go to college.

• Love 3

So, are we to think that this was Rick and Michonne's first time? I've watched it three times, and I can't decide.

Also, thank you show for making me care about Daryl again for the first time in a while.

That's what I'm gathering based on her surprised reaction to the hand holding.  It seemed more like a roomie situation, not romantic, before that.

• Love 2

I don't mind them having Rick rebound to Michonne immediately after Jessie.  It would be lame in any other show, but in this one the characters all know that every day might be their last, so there's really no proper mourning period or even a "let's wait" abstinence period when two people get together.  Why wait for a  tomorrow that might never come?

This isn't a rebound IMO.  This was Rick and Michonne finally recognizing what IMO has been teased from the moment they met. IMO. Jessie was "transition" woman and that's being generous at best.

• Love 14

I did think Rick must have gotten laid because of the previously unseen level of good mood he was in for most of the episode, but nah, that was probably their first time. Finally. It'll undoubtedly end in blood and tragedy, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Whose idea was it to let Rick and Daryl go on runs together. Both those two should have a responsible adult with them at all times.

• Love 3

This isn't a rebound IMO.  This was Rick and Michonne finally recognizing what IMO has been teased from the moment they met. IMO. Jessie was "transition" woman and that's being generous at best.

Yeah, I don't think it was a rebound either, if it was it's the rebound equivalent of throwing a ping pong ball at a bowl of jello.

• Love 1

nLqsey.gif

Was this a post credits scene or a scene from the preview? My recording cut off right after Michonne and Rick kissed.

I thought the episode was fairly average TWD fare overall. I don't really get into shipping characters much so the Rick and Michonne thing didn't make me squee... I could even see it being a bad development if the show doesn't handle the relationship well and really that hasn't been a strong suit for this writing team, but never the less at this point I think it's fine.  Jesus may be a promising new character, though I don't know if the show has enough room for both Daryl and Jesus. As usual there's a lot of things that don't make a whole lot of sense. Besides the abandonment of a fine looking automobile (with a CD player no less!), how did Deanna get from being in a room with a zombie hoard about to devour her to walking around in the woods largely in tact? Obviously it's one of those things where the writers decided to change things up because they wanted Spencer to have that moment but nevertheless that was the first thought I had when I saw it was Deanna.

• Love 4

After the week I've had, I didn't think I'd ever laugh again. But this list did it. Thank you, whoever wrote this up!

Proposed Undead-Apocalypse-Themed Sodas Inspired By Denise's Request Of Daryl As A Gift For Tara

Mountain Dude

R.I.P. Cola

Barq's Brains

Fantasm

Dr. Peppered With Flesh Holes

Spite

Big Red Wound

Sierra Missed Headshot

7Up The Fence And Eating A Kid

Goo Sky

Diet Cope

Ugh Root Beer

Pepsi Infected Max

Spewhoo

Poke-a Hole-a

Hands-Ins Premium Soda

Orange Head Crush

Canada Moist

Stab

LOLOLOLOL

Aw, you're very welcome! Sorry about your otherwise bad week. :)

• Love 1

IMO, Rick had made his decision to aim for a normalish life and to go for a relationship with Michonne after Carl was nearly killed. He finally got it.  His good mood out with Daryl was him feeling that lightness and hope. Michonne telling Spencer essentially that she was thinking about family was her thinking about Rick and coming to terms with her feelings about him.  I think both were considering broaching it sooner rather than later.  But once their hands met....it was time.

/happy sigh

• Love 11

Did I miss something? Rick and Daryl were on their way back. Rick said they would "take another way and see what we can see; we can come back for the car later" I believe the gas station was a pit stop. That is where they saw Jesus

Please see the recap. There was more after that shot as well involving Jesus.

Something other than Jesus saying "We should talk"? I've scanned a few recaps and that's the only thing I can find, and honestly it doesn't take much more time to write that than "please see the recap".

• Love 1

I assume they think they must have killed Negan's whole gang, or anybody that counted.  They blew up a lot of guys.  Daryl said they hadn't seen any people for weeks, so I take that to mean that they probably did scout around for this new potential threat and haven't seen any evidence of it.

But they know there is at least someone named Negan out there, and he is smart/strong enough (and, gosh-darnit, people like him) to have people do his bidding. Even if they assume he is the only one left (which seems silly), no half measures!

After this episode, I really wish for a nice time period where we focus on relationships between our core crew and the work being done to build "a new world." You know, before the next big bad villain inevitably really comes into play. Can't Carl's eye patch be enough of a reminder of the crazies (i.e. crazier than our people) for a while? Maybe we'll at least get a few episodes.

I'm afraid we may have just "Fear-The-Walking-Deaded" over that bit. 

Definitely, "Yes" from me. I think that progression from flirty chatter to handholding to intense gazes to moving in slowly for a kiss, etc. was meant to telegraph that that type of interaction with each other's bodies was new.

Mrs. Nedermeyer was a casualty of the Wolves, wasn't she? tumblr_inline_o2yc2rADRU1qgzw4v_540.png

Her ghost must have been howling in anger last night. In fact, maybe she's the one who made the truck roll down into the water.

Awesome catch!

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 4
Judith is the most precious bundle of preciousness and she can NEVER DIE. Never EVER. Are we clear? She babbled something sounding like "Michonne" and my heart melt like an ice cream.

So much this!  Last week while Sam was falling apart, I couldn't help but think that Judith was thinking, "Walker horde?  Lemme at 'em!  I'll cup stack those bitches back to Hell!"

• Love 5

Sorry I thought the whole Richonne thing was like seeing brother and sister kiss....ugh  Then again, I thought Rick + Lori seemed like brother and sister too, so YMMV.

They already got her doing stupid stuff like oh, leaving Alexandria unguarded to follow Spencer.  I hope it gets better, and I hope they don't ruin my favorite character with this.  Oh Michonne, you deserve so much better!

On a totally superficial note, Spencer looked sooooo good.  He's still a weeny, but damn did he look fine.  I liked Enid a lot more this episode and I think her character is coming along great.

I know they can't show everyone in every episode, but since TTD said two months had passed I reeeeeeally wanted to see Carol and Morgan and Abe and Rosita to see what happened between them all!

• Love 5

Something other than Jesus saying "We should talk"? I've scanned a few recaps and that's the only thing I can find, and honestly it doesn't take much more time to write that than "please see the recap".

Yes, that's all that happened.  It there was more to it than that it would be... (drumroll) ... in the recap.

• Love 1

Sorry I thought the whole Richonne thing was like seeing brother and sister kiss....ugh  Then again, I thought Rick + Lori seemed like brother and sister too, so YMMV.

When I think about how many times Rick has checked out Michonne....yeah, if that's how a brother looks at a sister,....yeah...And the Rick/Lori shower sex....was most certainly not brother/sisterly.

• Love 6

I might be the only one, but I don't ship Rick and Michonne. It doesn't seem "real" to me. They seem like good, close platonic friends. Can't women and men just be friends? Now I have to worry about the two front runners being in a relationship,  ugh. I just wanna see zombies. I liked the Rick and Daryl scenes... I wish the show had more of that, and less sex. And I'm no prude. It's just...  blergh.

I'm of the mind there hasn't been enough sex - not that I need to see it (same as you, I'm not a prude but I'm more interested in seeing world building in this type of show) but I would like to know that someone is getting down. It's always seemed odd to me that the majority of adults have been celibate for the entire apocalypse, Maggie had the absolute right idea when she originally hooked up with Glenn 'I may as well sex you up, I might not get another chance'. In dark times people often turn to sex as a release/distraction/etc, it's a massive stress relief and you get that feeling of euphoria, even though it might be fleeting once you need to get back to biting people's throats out. During World War I and II there were a lot of babies born out of wedlock (which was SCANDALOUS then!) and baby booms between married couples. I'm not that interested though in seeing a lot of relationship stuff, of course it's part of life but it often is the kiss of death when 2 leads develop a romantic relationship. I could buy Rick and Michonne having a friends with benefits arrangement more than a romance.

• Love 5
Circle Jerks, I'd say #teenagerintge80s

Although Erik may not have been running given that he was still in the orthopedic boot due to his sprained ankle.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! <<----former punkrocker over here. (Not really formerly, just aged.)

And I think you're right, he did have that boot on in the scene. But he gave it his all!

I had to do it:

View My Video

AngelaHunter, you just won the internet. For life. THAT is what should have aired last night. It would have made their gross stupidity so much more tolerable. 

• Love 1

Definitely, "Yes" from me. I think that progression from flirty chatter to handholding to intense gazes to moving in slowly for a kiss, etc. was meant to telegraph that that type of interaction with each other's bodies was new.

Mrs. Nedermeyer was a casualty of the Wolves, wasn't she? tumblr_inline_o2yc2rADRU1qgzw4v_540.png

Her ghost must have been howling in anger last night. In fact, maybe she's the one who made the truck roll down into the water.

OMG IF I COULD LIKE THIS TO INFINITY I WOULD.

I knew there had to be shit in that truck that I would slap them for losing.

And it just now occurred to me that if 2 months has passed, you remember Abe and Sasha had agreed to something, god knows what "dolphin smooth headline" but she told him to take care of stuff, ie dump Rosita. So we don't know if he has or if Sasha been waiting or what. 

• Love 2

So, what's the probability that Jesus went to Rick's bedroom because he heard people shouting his name?

Okay, I'm out. This wins the internet for the day.

AngelaHunter, you just won the internet. For life. THAT is what should have aired last night. It would have made their gross stupidity so much more tolerable.

Whoa, just saw this. Thank ya kindly. Glad you enjoyed.:)

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

Ok, P.Tv is being a PITA today; not only did about 90% of my Likes go into La-La-Land, apparently, but it just flushed about 6 quotes I had gleaned for response into the InterToilet. So nobody feel slighted. :P

RE Daryl and cleanliness (or lack thereof): actually, this episode was a stellar representation of why Daryl might not want to wash up. As was demonstrated in their initial contact with Jesus, being clean is a dead giveaway of an established camp relatively nearby. You can't plausibly represent yourself as a roamer if you've obviously been getting regular showers and paying attention to grooming.

RE "Coke" as generic for soft drinks: One of my favorite mean tricks on my Northern friends was -still is, now that I come to think of it - taking them to a diner or restaurant and pulling them into an exchange like this:

Waitress: What'll you have to drink, hon?

Friend: Ahh... A soda, I guess.

Waitress: This ain't a bar, hon. What else do you want to drink?

Me <interjecting>: He'll have a Coke.

Friend: But I don't...

Waitress <interrupting>: Oh, you want a Coke? Why didn't you say so, hon? What kind of Coke you want?

- at which point I sit back and watch my friend's head start spinning around while the waitress patiently waits for an answer.... ;>

AngelaHunter: know it? Hell, I slammed to it!

My personal faves were Black Flag and Gun Club, although CJ was right up there with them.

That prop person deserves an Oscar. Good eyes.

• Love 4

In dark times people often turn to sex as a release/distraction/etc, it's a massive stress relief and you get that feeling of euphoria, even though it might be fleeting once you need to get back to biting people's throats out.

I've been saying this, like, forever. It's a fact of life - in fact something of a reaffirmation that you are still alive. I think if it weren't so carefully and studiously avoided, no one would even notice. I get the feeling that writers/producers sit there, giggling and blushing if ever the topic of sex rears its ugly head, like private school girls of another era catching sight of a bared bottom.

With Rick and Michonne, I could almost hear the director yelling in a panic, "CUT! CUT! No more than 20 seconds of (s-e-x) allowed. Audiences might go into dead faints! What about some more graphic throat slashing instead?"

• Love 3

Just watched.

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!1!

Real chemistry, smoking hot chemistry. I'm so happy for this turn of events.

And Deanna Walker. Now way that herd didn't eat her all up, but I'm all kinds of willing to suspend disbelief just to see her that way and to get that interesting tidbit about Carl bringing her to Spencer because it was her family.

Delighted that Jesus has arrived.

• Love 1

It was weird how the whole Jessie thing was handled (no pun intended) on the show, wasn't it?  I don't mean Rick's behavior in the wake of her death, but the romance aspect of it.  I know we saw them kiss (a boring kiss lacking any kind of spark), and Rick had been making googly eyes at her here and there before that kiss happened.  I mean, it's obvious that he was physically turned on by her, but are we supposed to assume that they slept together at some point?  It's weird that we never really saw anything romantic or heard Rick and Jessie talking about anything romance-wise after that kiss.  It was as if it never happened!  Lol.  It's odd that it just kind of ended with that kiss and then nothing else romantic was ever implied again. 

I guess I am just going to assume that Jessie's purpose was to make Rick remember that he is a sexual being who has lustful feelings for ladies in his post-Lori life, and that ladies find him attractive too.  He hadn't thought about it in a while because there is always so much mayhem and carnage happening, but when he had a moment to breathe he found himself attracted to Jessie.  In no way do I think he was in love with her, that's for damn sure.

And you're absolutely right -- Michonne is not a rebound romp.  Danai pretty much said (more or less) on Talking Dead last night that she could see that the Richonne union was in the works, and that the story was building up to that over the seasons.  She knew that's where it was going (even before actually reading the script), but the characters of Rick and Michonne were not at the place yet where they could see what was happening -- until the moment when they both finally realized it.  They were finally in a situation where they could breathe, relax, not worry about running from thousands of walkers or crazed maniacs trying to murder them, and see each other in a new light.   That's when the magic happened.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 3

YES! I was born in Cleveland, and am now living in the south, married to a southern boy.  The pop conversation was true through and through!  

(by the way the only time I have ever heard the word "Jo Jo" for potatoes was at a Mississippi gas station- just sayin'!)

I've lived in Cincinnati my entire life and have never heard the term Jo Jo for potatoes of any kind. So that means it's neither a northeast nor a southwest Ohio thing. The only major city left is Columbus. Cincinnati is close enough to Dayton for me to assume that it's not a Dayton thing.

We do say pop for any carbonated beverage. I did a fist pump and "yeah" when Denise explained that she was from Ohio.

• Love 1

In all seriousness though, I really hope that they keep what makes Rick and Michonne's relationship special just that and not go into soap opera type of drama. I don't want them turning into Maggie/Glenn 2.0. Rick and Michonne are characters that can stand alone on their own, so don't want them weighed down by relationship crap. Just get the sex when you're in need because during an apocalypse of the zombies, a relationship is pointless.

As shown Rick lost Lori and Jessie, Sasha lost Bob, Carol lost her husband (that's good for Carol), Deanna lost her husband, Jessie lost her husband, Tyreese lost Karen, etc. Did Aaron lose his bf? Forging a relationship spells doom so only a matter of time before these relationships are lost by the death of someone.

In the words of AL:And I think [showrunner] Scott [Gimple]’s intention was to give people a glimpse into a potential civilization. What could be. What are we fighting for if you can’t fall in love? If you can’t have humor and laughter again? That’s hopefully what this episode was about. These are whole people who can laugh and can live again… "

What's the point of fighting to survive if you are just going to exist but not really live your life.

• Love 10

I've been saying this, like, forever. It's a fact of life - in fact something of a reaffirmation that you are still alive. I think if it weren't so carefully and studiously avoided, no one would even notice. I get the feeling that writers/producers sit there, giggling and blushing if ever the topic of sex rears its ugly head, like private school girls of another era catching sight of a bared bottom.

With Rick and Michonne, I could almost hear the director yelling in a panic, "CUT! CUT! No more than 20 seconds of (s-e-x) allowed. Audiences might go into dead faints! What about some more graphic throat slashing instead?"

I don't think it's the writers'  or producers' fault.  Look at the shitstorm that erupted when Rick just impulsively kissed Jessie ON THE CHEEK.  I know she was married, but still.  Chris Hardwick and Danai both seemed a little apprehensive at first at the beginning of TTD, and then it turned out the whole world was doing a Snoopy happy dance, and they all seemed relieved.

• Love 1

Look at the shitstorm that erupted when Rick just impulsively kissed Jessie ON THE CHEEK.

I don't bother much with that stuff, but - IMO - the protest was because no one wanted Rick with Jessie and it had nothing to do with the dreaded "S" word.

I notice women are often given harsh criticism on this show,  well, except Michonne who is perfect in every way.

• Love 3

Rick and Michonne should have had those mints before kissing!

Of course, the Grimes and Michonne officially became a family earlier in the episode with this:

Carl: If you become a walker, I'll stab you in the head, cause I love you.

Michonne: Aww, I'd chop your head off too. 

• Love 2

I've lived in Cincinnati my entire life and have never heard the term Jo Jo for potatoes of any kind. So that means it's neither a northeast nor a southwest Ohio thing. The only major city left is Columbus. Cincinnati is close enough to Dayton for me to assume that it's not a Dayton thing.

Columbus gal here. Nope.

• Love 1

I think this episode was conceived as proof of Rick's law of averages.  Its the embodiment of one day they'll find supplies and people and the supplies won't be Bob and the people won't eat him. 

One magical episode there will be wordplay and one-liners and jokes and hijinks.  The new character will hold his own against the likes of Rick and Daryl in skills ad personality from his first moment onscreen instead of being a downer with a tragic past that will bore and annoy us until they grow on us like mold on a shower curtain.  There will be Grimes/Michonne family bonding.  Carl won't revert to prison Carl with the loss of his eye (I was totally expecting that one).  And then when the day is winding down after Rick delivers the comedy and Michonne delivers the heartfelt, they'll get it on.

I think that was why they were vague about the time jump with Maggie not showing.  I think something not good is going on there and no downers in the law of averages episode. 

• Love 4

I'm in Northern Ontario, which probably puts me further north than the majority of this group, and it's always pop up here (Southern and Northern end of the province). Wonder what it is in Michigan?

• Love 1

We do say pop for any carbonated beverage. I did a fist pump and "yeah" when Denise explained that she was from Ohio.

Clevelander here. I've heard the term jo jo used for potato wedges. Not all that often though. I think it's one of those terms that have migrated here from other places. I've seen jo-jos on the menus of various chicken and barbecue restaurants.

The souther habit of saying "coke" for any carbonated beverage has always driven me crazy. To me, "Coke" is a brand name and I only use it as such.  The same is true for "Kleenex" and "Xerox." 

• Love 2

I'm in Northern Ontario, which probably puts me further north than the majority of this group, and it's always pop up here (Southern and Northern end of the province). Wonder what it is in Michigan?

I'm in Wisconsin and it's pop here (Minnesota too), not sure about Michigan, but would guess pop as well.

As for jojo's (potato wedges), I haven't seen that used around here in years but I do remember seeing it some grocery store deli's years ago, but I don't think I've seen that in years, I don't think they ever were very popular around here.  

Edited by lucygoose
  • Love 1

I don't think it's the writers'  or producers' fault.  Look at the shitstorm that erupted when Rick just impulsively kissed Jessie ON THE CHEEK.  I know she was married, but still.  Chris Hardwick and Danai both seemed a little apprehensive at first at the beginning of TTD, and then it turned out the whole world was doing a Snoopy happy dance, and they all seemed relieved.

Yeah, I agree with Angela. It wasn't the romantic overtures in general that many viewers objected to. It was the pairing in particular - too sudden with a new character linked to a lead character and some complicating circumstances (e.g., Jessie married). Maybe one analogy is the beginning of the Kennedy-Willow pairing on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (For non-Buffy-viewer readers: in that case many viewers had been very fond of Willow's previous pairing, and the new character (Kennedy) appeared and immediately became linked to a beloved main character, before the viewers got to know and even decide if they liked the new character as an individual.) 

In the past there've been scenes featuring at least 7 different couples coupling: Lori/Shane, Lori/Rick, Glenn/Maggie, Shane/Andrea, Andrea/Gov, Abraham/Rosita ... (who am I forgetting? some couple?) and now Rick/Michonne, with other couples established if not shown getting it on (e.g., Tara/Denise). Not a lot going on but not none either.

bearcatfan, on 22 Feb 2016 - 6:18 PM, said:

Columbus gal here. Nope.

According to wikipedia, "jojos" for potato wedges started at a place in Elyria. My brothers worked at a restaurant in Akron back in the 80s where the wedges were called jojos. That was the first I, growing up not far away, had heard of it. So even where it has been used, it's not widespread.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 3

The southern habit of saying "coke" for any carbonated beverage has always driven me crazy. To me, "Coke" is a brand name and I only use it as such.  The same is true for "Kleenex" and "Xerox." 

Southerners don't say "coke" as a word for any carbonated beverage.  Southerners say Coke because they got used to only Coke being available.  And woe be to the fast food person that doesn't understand that Coke means Coke and hands you a Pepsi. If they don't reject it and explain they want a Dr. Pepper or a 7-UP (the most Coke brand like Pepsi product). they are just using Southern manners.  I was raised in the South by Northerners, I explain that Coke means coke.  Actually, I don't order a drink at places that serve Pepsi.

Here's the thing.  We were all brainwashed and knowing it doesn't change it.  I grew up in Atlanta and I think their advertising strategy was so savvy and ahead of what Pepsi was doing in the region back then that they changed the local vernacular.    There are two things I remember as a kid. 

First, sales at grocery stores were only ever on Coke products.  And I'm talking deep discounts.  Someone would have to literally be willing to pay two or three times the price to drink Pepsi.  And barring the new Coke fiasco, Pepsi and Coke taste different.  If you get used to drinking Coke, you aren't going to see Pepsi as a substitute.  Next, you would not find Pepsi served in a restaurant unless it was one that was owned by Pepsi.

• Love 2

Ugh, pet peeve is going out for dinner, asking for a Diet Coke, and having the server ask me if Diet Pepsi is ok instead. In fact I won't even go to Pizza Hut anymore and eat in because of it. I just get my food to go now.

Um, no. If I wanted Diet Pepsi I would have asked for Diet Pepsi. Diet Coke tastes nothing like Diet Pepsi.

• Love 4

In the past there've been scenes featuring at least 7 different couples coupling: Lori/Shane, Lori/Rick, Glenn/Maggie, Shane/Andrea, Andrea/Gov, Abraham/Rosita ... (who am I forgetting? some couple?) and now Rick/Michonne, with other couples established if not shown getting it on (e.g., Tara/Denise). Not a lot going on but not none either.

And there was massive complaining about most of that.  Andrea was SAVAGED for it.  Then Rick dares to even be attracted to some new woman at the end of days, and people totally lost their shit.  He was practically accused of being a rapist by some.  The reaction was so far out of proportion to what happened, it was nutty.

My complaint about Coral's Hat is that it still looks to be in great shape! Not stained, not misshapen, not torn, the golden tassels still look shiny, it just looks picture perfect. It ought to look like it's been on the bottom of a dung heap by now.

That hat's in better condition than Daryl.

• Love 6

He was practically accused of being a rapist by some.

Really? But wasn't Jessie a "slut"? Or maybe I'm thinking of Andrea. Or Lori. What brings forth the appelation of slut from so many righteous viewers of this show? It can't be a woman who has sex with a man not her husband because I don't think I've seen Rosita or Maggie or now Michonne being so labelled. So that narrows it down to woman who has sex with a man when she believes herself to be a widow (Lori) OR who has sex with *gasp* TWO men (Andrea). Those sluts! How dare they?

• Love 4

I might be the only one, but I don't ship Rick and Michonne. It doesn't seem "real" to me. They seem like good, close platonic friends. Can't women and men just be friends? Now I have to worry about the two front runners being in a relationship, ugh. I just wanna see zombies. I liked the Rick and Daryl scenes... I wish the show had more of that, and less sex. And I'm no prude. It's just... blergh.

You are not the only one. My BFF since childhood is a guy, and he is straight. I love him, but it has never been romantic love. I would never risk our deep friendship by even trying a romance.

We will see how it goes, but I am not a shipper. Just don't turn this into Melrose Place.

Edited by chlban
  • Love 5