Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E15: Targets

The show covered that. He's a big donor to Peter's campaigns. I'm more confused how any investigation could be targeting Peter and his donor, AND an obscure bond court judge. What do they have to do with each other?

I don't think the dairy farmer is being targeted by the FBI (although the show made it sound like he was somehow involved).  I think the only reason why we heard anything about him is that it was a reason for Elsbeth to stop being Peter's lawyer.  I am not sure if this would be a conflict of interests in the real world, but the actress who plays Elsbeth appears to be a regular on anther show so she probably couldn't commit to being their lawyer for the rest of the season.  And they are probably trying to bring back all the wacky side characters one last time because the show is ending (they brought back the song-writer guy, brought back the snarky computer guy, etc...we will see the druglord and the guy who can kill his wife and get away with it sometime soon).  Plus, trying to figure out why Elsbeth couldn't be their lawyer led to the wacky hijinx (oh look! he brings a dog with him everywhere!) the writers are always trying to insert.  

And it gave us the closest we have seen to actual investigator work by Jason - actually tailing someone and taking pictures! Although, I am completely surprised that Jason didn't just walk up to Elsbeth, give her a sexy smirk and say, in his raspy voice way, "Who is the client?" 

Then again, I could be completely wrong and maybe the FBI investigation has something to do with Peter and the judge being involved in a "marketing non-kosher milk as kosher" scheme.  

• Love 1

Poor Carey. Every time the poor guy is on screen, all I can hear is "a storyline! a storyline! My kingdom for a decent storyline!" All the guy gets to do now is be a hanger on for whichever other partner he is in the room with. We know Matt Czuchry can carry strong stuff, just let him! I remember Matt Czuchry back when he was on Gilmore Girls, and I just hated him. When I started watching this show, it took me awhile to put aside all my Logan baggage, and start enjoying his performance here. Now I honestly think he is one of the strongest actors, and it kills me that he hardly gets to do anything anymore. I have also been watching some of his old GG episodes, and he really is good in them. He was just stuck playing a REALLY annoying character.

Ha! I agree with all of this. I know this is sort of silly, but perhaps because Cary and I are about the same age, and I also live in Chicago, I like to imagine that Cary has a rich and interesting social life outside of the firm. We just don't get to see it.

I'm actually kind of dreading seeing him as Logan again, if they still have Logan as the rich spoiled brat that he was on GG.

• Love 2

Whenever I saw Alicia having a drink in the series, I thought it was foreshadowing of a future storyline where Alicia would be revealed to be a functional alcoholic. I guess that will never happen.

I hate this storyline with Jason. They have ZERO chemistry. They tried to find an interesting, "unexpected" match for Alicia, but this match doesn't work. I feel like this match has been pushed down our throats (e.g.,  getting the popular Eli character to give his approval). As a loyal viewer from the very beginning (even back when it was on Tuesday nights) who has followed it despite years of scheduling disruptions due to football, I'm really disappointed. I wish this would come to an abrupt end like the Kalinda-Nick storyline, but I am aware that the writers are probably trying to tie this all in a nice bow very quickly.

I miss the Alicia who was an excellent lawyer, following her ethics as best as she could in a sea of borderline/not so borderline unethical people. And what happened to her wanting to forge a career where she would only work on cases that interested her? I feel like this character has regressed so much this season.

• Love 5

I hate the Jason/Alicia storyline big time. They have slobber, but he came in slobbering. It's actually ruined this year for me. It seems to me like they found whatever nice-looking not terribly expensive 50ish actor they could find to pair for Alicia's happy ending. I figured it would be Dylan McDermitt since Stalker was cancelled, but McSmirky's Extant was cancelled too. And he could just keep playing the same part.

I'd have been able able to stand revolving firms and stupid campaigns, but this forced couple is just too forced.

• Love 3

Jason is such a fucking muppet of a character. Just imagine his... dynamic? On any of the other major characters in this show's entire history. He smirks and leans sexily against furniture. What is this? I mean honestly. I wonder if his entire existence is a meta-joke on the writers/producers part. They do that sometimes right? I'm just going to inhabit a reality where this is the case.

• Love 4

I'll preface this by saying that most of what I know about law firms comes from legal shows; but if LAL is the 3rd biggest firm in Chicago then shouldn't there be young assocuates working crazy hours to get the attention of the partners? So shouldn't there be people at the office at 11 who could see the greasy investigator banging the governor's wife on her office couch?

• Love 10

I am shocked that i seem to be in the minority about Elspeth. Or whatever her name is. I vehemently loathe her, as in fast forward any scene she is in. She is so unbelievable and sophmoric and utterly ridiculous, i mean WHO would believe such a character in real life, in a law firm no less? Ergh so stupid. Not funny, not enjoyable, just inane nonsense. 

I really liked Elsbeth at first and got a big charge out of the character.  She seemed a bit like a Columbo type (although weirder) . . . appearing to be incompetent but actually extremely savvy.  I especially liked the episode in Season 4 where she good-naturedly dismissed Josh's advances.  "Do you like the ballet?"  "No."  "Me neither.  How about dinner?"  "No."  "May I ask why?"  "No."  

It was the episode with the penguins that dampened my enthusiasm.  There was too much Elsbeth and she seemed practically psychotic once we got inside her head.  

• Love 5

I'll preface this by saying that most of what I know about law firms comes from legal shows; but if LAL is the 3rd biggest firm in Chicago then shouldn't there be young assocuates working crazy hours to get the attention of the partners? So shouldn't there be people at the office at 11 who could see the greasy investigator banging the governor's wife on her office couch?

I appreciate your post on a number of levels, but I will say I'm sure that they were observed and that somehow will come into play. I don't know, I can imagine Diane having to have an awkward conversation with Alicia about sex at the office.

Whenever I saw Alicia having a drink in the series, I thought it was foreshadowing of a future storyline where Alicia would be revealed to be a functional alcoholic. I guess that will never happen.

I was worried, from this episode, about an alcoholism storyline. I've always felt Alicia had a normal relationship with booze, but then when she actually struggled with Jason over the bottle? That was bizarre and awful.

• Love 1

I guess The Great Smirker doesn't sweat the details until after he seals the deal, Silicone-Valley style. I believe that entire thing was filmed in the dark partially so that the audience didn't have to dry heave through whatever Jason's Smirk-face would be doing during the great seduction.

Speaking of those stupid smirks, I wanted to shout "Stranger Danger!" for Diane when she called Jason into her office and was subjected to an entire conversation's worth of smirking and posing; I was hoping she'd fire the smirk right off of his face! If Kalinda or Robyn had insisted on leaning against furniture, hips out, with shiftless-grifter grins in every scene, I would have been wishing for a swift end to them both.

And so many pukes to Alicia finding her bff Alcohol had a broken & stuck cork because I immediately said, "cue The Smirk..." and he appeared. I really want his departure to be getting arrested for Smirking too close to Elementary school playgrounds or .

Just curious, do you think Jason smirks a tad too often? ;)

• Love 2

I thought I heard that the other civilian lawyer was Mr. Something from the firm of Polmer and Something.  Finn Polmer maybe?

Nah, he became a racecar driver and married the daughter of an Earl.

• Love 5

When did Diane become so unlikable?!

When the writers decided that for whatever plot purpose they are developing that they needed her to be unlikable.  It's just ridiculous what they've done to Diane and Cary and other long-running characters. 

• Love 5

When the writers decided that for whatever plot purpose they are developing that they needed her to be unlikable.  It's just ridiculous what they've done to Diane and Cary and other long-running characters. 

This show would be more believable if Alicia would have left whatever firm she last left and created a new firm with someone who looks just like Cary and someone who looks just like Diane. The new partners would be played by MC and CB, but they would be paranoid racist idiots.  I wouldn't enjoy that show any more that this one, but at least it would make more sense than having Cary and Dianne suddenly become paranoid racist idiots.  

• Love 5

Currently, Marissa is the most entertaining character on the show. Hope they keep her for the remainder.

I agree, and hope this enthusiasm has not just jinxed her character.

Otherwise, I think the actors watch Survivor and that's where they got the idea of an all female alliance - sorry, firm - from. 

• Love 1

I almost skipped this episode after reading the comments, but I'm glad I watched--I liked it.  Hello, the cast entire.  (Sorry, kids, you don't count.)

I'm one who likes JDM, so "focus on my breathing" was hot, but Alicia's desperation to reach that bottle was an interesting giant red flag.  The show has skimmed past their central character being a disaster for so long, I'd happily invest another season watching Alcoholic Alicia hit bottom and struggle back.

I also like Elsbeth and enjoyed another character operating on her particular wavelength.  (Was that Chihuahua drugged?  A stranger macking on my Tic Tac would have lost a piece of face.)

The NSA's open mic app freaked me the fuck out.  The Foregone Conclusion Assassination Roundtable was also disturbing, but a presidential candidate proposed targeting the children of terrorists and the whole crowd cheered, so I clearly need to adjust my own naiveté.

Thank you, show, for losing the broken office chair stunt.

• Love 4

I'll preface this by saying that most of what I know about law firms comes from legal shows; but if LAL is the 3rd biggest firm in Chicago then shouldn't there be young associates working crazy hours to get the attention of the partners

I've been binge watching the show, and I am so confused by the idea that LAL is the 3rd biggest firm in Chicago.  Like two episodes before this, about eight associates walked out, and the show made it seem like the firm had no other associates.  So unless Chicago firms are exceedingly small, or this firm is so top heavy with partners that barely anyone is an associate, it's not clear to me how it could be true that LAL is so large.     

Edited by txhorns79