Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E15: Targets

Please just finish this show with some dignity. The military legal proceedings were interesting, but I find it hard to believe Alicia would have been selected. I've had to apply for security clearance for work, as well as process other colleagues' applications. It is a tedious lengthy process and there's enough red flags in Alicia's life that she would not have met clearance requirements.

The indiscreet sexing in the office is even worse than it was with Will and Peter wasn't the governor then. it also wasn't hot, which is more offensive to me as a viewer. I was watching reruns last night from when Will & Alicia started their affair and Eli was 3 steps ahead in his thinking. What a mess this show turned out to be.

• Love 10

Meh. Did Jason not know she was married to the governor BEFORE they had sex? It just feels inorganic to me.

I guess The Great Smirker doesn't sweat the details until after he seals the deal, Silicone-Valley style. I believe that entire thing was filmed in the dark partially so that the audience didn't have to dry heave through whatever Jason's Smirk-face would be doing during the great seduction.

Speaking of those stupid smirks, I wanted to shout "Stranger Danger!" for Diane when she called Jason into her office and was subjected to an entire conversation's worth of smirking and posing; I was hoping she'd fire the smirk right off of his face! If Kalinda or Robyn had insisted on leaning against furniture, hips out, with shiftless-grifter grins in every scene, I would have been wishing for a swift end to them both.

And so many pukes to Alicia finding her bff Alcohol had a broken & stuck cork because I immediately said, "cue The Smirk..." and he appeared. I really want his departure to be getting arrested for Smirking too close to Elementary school playgrounds or something. 

The military legal proceedings were interesting, but I find it hard to believe Alicia would have been selected. I've had to apply for security clearance for work, as well as process other colleagues' applications. It is a tedious lengthy process and there's enough red flags in Alicia's life that she would not have met clearance requirements.

It's always sort of borrowing from common sense to keep plugging Alicia in as the chosen female/civilian participant in all of these extraordinarily classified cases, even though they are always very interesting ground to cover in terms of plot. This time though, with the FBI having an active investigation into Peter or both of the Florricks (maybe it will turn out to be something Zach & his Mac did that's got the government so hot and bothered, who knows...?), it goes beyond all credibility that she would get clearance by all agencies and interested parties to attend. It would have been more realistic if she had walked into a giant rubber band that snapped her right out of that office. Diane would have been a believable choice, but I guess that would be the show allowing focus on other characters...

Not for a minute do I buy that Cary is suddenly a whiny, insecure misogynist, and terrified of Alicia and Diane taking the firm away from the men, when only a few weeks have passed since he personally asked Alicia to return, and spent time convincing Diane that it was a good idea previous to that. The "all-female" firm concept was floated around before quite publicly, and the desire to get more top female clients and groups has never been a secret. I don't care at all for this re-write. Every partner featured at LAL/LG/etc. has been given various quirks and weaknesses and strengths, but David Lee and Cary are not sexist messes who can't continue their work day without having a crisis of confidence over whatever the-barely-cordial Diane and Alicia are up to. It's similar to the junk last week which someone on the board rightly called out as believable for Howard, but not for anyone else at the firm. The story lines just don't add up without Howard at least in the building. I worry it's nothing more than a lazy way to grind up some unbelievable drama that would explain the show ending with a Lockhart & Florrick firm. They are playing fast and loose these days trying to cook up some obstacle for Alicia to overcome.

• Love 8

Who do I have to kill to get a decent story for Matt Czuchry? I guess I'll just wait for Gilmore Girls.

Other thank the crap about Cary being an insecure misogynist - which he's kept secret for six years - I didn't hate it. I just recently rewatched the earlier episode with Hicks and thought it was too bad we never saw him again, so I was pleased when he appeared. And I'm in the minority, but I love the NSA guys.

I enjoy Elsbeth in these small doses, but I have zero desire to see a potential spinoff centered on her.

I thought Alicia's hair looked better tonight; a side part is much more flattering on her. But in that last scene with Jason, it was distracting, it looked so bad. Alicia, honey, if you're setting out to seduce a man, run a brush through your hair first.

Eli and Marissa will always be pure comedy gold.

Non-sequitur question, but who is the State's Attorney these days?

• Love 2

Who do I have to kill to get a decent story for Matt Czuchry? I guess I'll just wait for Gilmore Girls.

Well said photo fox, and I concur!! I can only hope CBS is lining his pockets with cash for these past 2 seasons of being either their whipping boy or just absent (and now the character assassination). I miss those years with so many shared scenes with Alicia, and then later at the SA's office, etc. He used to be everywhere, and he was so damn good. 

• Love 6

Matt Czuchry won't get anythting else from this show. He proved he can handle a big storyline and that his acting skills are good enough to get critics attention. And once he did he signed for his character's death sentence in that show. I'll just wait for Gilmore Girls me too.

• Love 2

I don't see what's misogynist about David and Cary being worried they're being pushed out. If what they think is really happening, they're going to lose their place at the firm. This would be the, what, seventy third, power play leading to a new set of partners, so it's not exactly without precedent to worry that someone at Stern Lockhart Gardner Bond Florrick Agos Canning Lee Lyman I'm Probably Missing Someone is trying to screw over another partner. Which this would be. 

But I've seen every episode and I don't recall Diane saying anything about a woman-only firm. Google isn't helping, so when did this happen? Why would anyone want to turn their third-largest-in-Chicago firm into a woman only firm? Is that a thing? What does that even mean? Just women partners? Women clients? Do they dump Dippold? It seems stupid. 

We still don't know what Peter and Alicia are being investigated for. I think this episode was supposed to eliminate the vote-rigging as an option? Or at least eliminate the vote-rigging for Alicia's SA election, not Peter's gubernatorial election? I still don't see what this has to do with Shakowsky. I'm glad the NSA guys are back because that plotline needs to be resolved before the show ends. And they're still reliably scary. 

• Love 6

Matt Czuchry won't get anythting else from this show. He proved he can handle a big storyline and that his acting skills are good enough to get critics attention. And once he did he signed for his character's death sentence in that show. I'll just wait for Gilmore Girls me too.

The only trouble with GG is that MC's character, no matter how well it's written this time, can only cover about 5% of what Cary has in terms of complexity and range. But, it will be good to see him anywhere, and likely having a bit of fun. I didn't care much for MC, and only knew him from GG, so it was TGW that brought me around and turned me into a diehard fan. I'm very curious about what his next full-time project will be.

But I've seen every episode and I don't recall Diane saying anything about a woman-only firm. Google isn't helping, so when did this happen? Why would anyone want to turn their third-largest-in-Chicago firm into a woman only firm? Is that a thing? What does that even mean? Just women partners? Women clients? Do they dump Dippold? It seems stupid.

The concept is a bit stupid considering we're talking about a law firm, and that there is no real value that I can see of a firm run exclusively by women. I'm not sure if the show just hodge-podged together a facsimile of a 'feminist' firm, falling prey to yet another misconception that feminism is about exclusion and an either/or paradigm. Or, it's possible at that time during the show's run, they were looking for ways and reasons for Alicia and Diane to interact since she had left the firm. I'm not sure the show had a clear arc that you can find, but I do recall episodes that included Jill Hennessy's character interviewing (and I believe trying to possibly hire Diane, Alicia and some other candidates, maybe even Elsbeth?) during episodes which happened prior to Will's death. It may have been the season he died because there was the back drop of a conference where Alicia and Will met at a diner accidentally, and I remember it being one of their last interactions, and she was notably awful to Will. There was also a dinner/bar meet-up thing between Diane and Alicia, during the same event, that (if memory serves) was sort of their first real get together after Alicia departed the firm, and it set some groundwork up for the later pairing of these two when they momentarily were partners at Alicia and Cary's firm. It's a bit like the episode where Kalinda and Alicia spend time together during the deposition that took place out near a ranch, where it appeared the air had been cleared and the relationship was re-established. Whether that was the intent or not is anyone's guess, but they did a similar thing with Alicia and Diane during the Women's-firm arc.

Edited by meisje
  • Love 2

I remember the Jill Hennessy episode you're talking about, where they had that big conference in New York and everyone was trying to get Jill as a partner, but she decided to start her own firm with Elspeth. Partly because she was concerned that the big firms wouldn't treat her well as a woman. But deciding to start a woman only firm BECAUSE it's a woman only firm still seems stupid, especially for the first named partner of a big firm already.

Whatever, we're spending way too much time on a plot that's just the latest machinations for the next round of partner musical chairs.

• Love 3

The one authentic moment in this episode was when the men all introduced themselves and then just as Alicia was opening her mouth to say her name, the guy in charge said he would introduce the two civilians then proceeded to describe Alicia and let the other lawyer introduce himself. Ugh, that is the kind of casual sexism that you see so often so even though it sucks, at least it was a real moment.

The other thing I liked about this episode was even as the new girl at work, Lucca refuses to play their games. When Cary invited her to lunch so he could grill her about whether Diane had approached Alicia, she just told him to talk to Alicia. HA!

Eli and Michael putting an obvious tracker on Elsbeth's dog so she would find it and then not notice their actual plan reminded me of when Veronica Mars deliberately gave Vinnie Van Lowe a pen with a bug in it so that he wouldn't find the other bug she left in his office.

Marissa is always a delight, especially when she's with Eli. I loved Elsbeth's genuine delight when she found out that Marissa made purses.

Cary, you have been with Lockhart et al for many years. You know better than to let DAVID LEE send you into a panic.

• Love 12

And I'm in the minority, but I love the NSA guys.

I enjoy Elsbeth in these small doses, but I have zero desire to see a potential spinoff centered on her.

Me too :)  They are a hoot.  But as with Elsbeth - in small doses. I'd hope any spinoff is not centric to any of them...they make for a better ensemble cast. 

Have we meet Will Patton before as Elsbeth's husband?  Guessing that was an introduction (or re-introduction)?  

The wind-up toy that this show became has just been slowing down every episode and it is just simply dead in its tracks now.  No new stories, zero ideas, no nothing.

What a terrible way for a once really good show to die - Too bad it can't end right now - I can't imagine what "clever" ways they have cooked up for the ending of it - 

What a mess - 

• Love 2
The only trouble with GG is that MC's character, no matter how well it's written this time, can only cover about 5% of what Cary has in terms of complexity and range. But, it will be good to see him anywhere, and likely having a bit of fun. I didn't care much for MC, and only knew him from GG, so it was TGW that brought me around and turned me into a diehard fan. I'm very curious about what his next full-time project will be.

I agree and I also mostly look forward to his next full-time projects but it's almost nine years since the GG ended and MC's skills improved a lot so it will be interesting to see how that will affect his portray of Logan. Plus there's a lot of buzz around that revival so that could help him finding a new show faster. Said that I loved Cary and I'd chose him over Logan every day. But unfortunally what those writers have done with the character (or maybe I should say what those writers didn't do with the character) especially that season almost nullified everything good they've done before. It's a shame.

• Love 1

Count me in as someone who enjoys the NSA episodes.  And Elspeth too.  Her ex and their dog was quite fun for me.  I'm going to miss this show.  But not the constant vying for control at the firm.  That's been stupid from the get go.

• Love 3

Wait - why would Elsbeth suggest her ex-husband as her replacement if she knew he could so easily compromise her? Was she actually trying to help without breaking any laws, or is it that thing where there are only 2 lawyers in Chicago who aren't part of LAL (just like there's only 1 investigator)?

• Love 4

I thought Alicia's hair looked better tonight; a side part is much more flattering on her. But in that last scene with Jason, it was distracting, it looked so bad. Alicia, honey, if you're setting out to seduce a man, run a brush through your hair first.

The set is littered with broken hairbrushes that could not penetrate that wig.

Eli and Marissa will always be pure comedy gold.

Genius casting--we will always have them to take away from this show. If only I can get the smirker out of my brain and let Eli and Marissa occupy those brain cells.

I was thinkng how good Diane would have been sitting in on that security council or whatever the heck it was. As if the double secret murder agency needs an even more secret panel's approval to deal with an individual threat. And why start this plotline now? Aren't there enough old convoluted plotlines to tie up by the end of the season? But, sure, why not.

An all-woman firm--great idea! and let's start a magazine called Ms.! I just read the seventies are back. Seriously, how easy can it be to just fire all the male partners for zero cause just because they have a Y chromosone? Paranoid much?

• Love 8

Did they say LAL is the third-largest law firm in Chicago? Is it realistic that a firm of that size could become only women? (I can understand a boutique law firm being all women, but this would be a complete upheaval.)

More questions ... Is it realistic that Diane could oust two named partners? Is it realistic that Cary would let David Lee (DAVID LEE!) freak him out that way? Is it realistic that Cary would choose more than once to be partners with people you don't reflexively don't trust?

Is it realistic that a paperclip could be used to remove a cork? Is it realistic that a smarmy jack of all trades would NOT carry a bottle opener in his key chain?

• Love 9
Is it realistic that Cary would choose more than once to be partners with people you don't reflexively don't trust?

Many unrealistic things happen in that show so... but as for this Cary didn't chose to be partner with Diane. Alicia did. So maybe that would explain his trus issues when it comes to Diane. And Diane actually wanted to build an all women firm with Alicia before joining FA.

The indiscreet sexing in the office is even worse than it was with Will and Peter wasn't the governor then. it also wasn't hot, which is more offensive to me as a viewer.

It was downright skeevy.  I almost wretched during their "foreplay."

Did they say LAL is the third-largest law firm in Chicago? Is it realistic that a firm of that size could become only women? (I can understand a boutique law firm being all women, but this would be a complete upheaval.)

Nothing about LAL being the third-largest law firm in Chicago is realistic in the least.  Funniest line of the night to me, and not in a good way.

• Love 1

Count me in as someone who enjoys the NSA episodes.  And Elspeth too.  Her ex and their dog was quite fun for me.  I'm going to miss this show.  But not the constant vying for control at the firm.  That's been stupid from the get go.

Me too, and contrary to opinions above, I thought they shot the sex scene in a pretty hot way. Yes, It was stupid to think that they did it in an office with all glass walls in the middle of the floor where all the associates have cubicles so there was no way of knowing whether everyone was gone, but it was still kinda hot. YMMV

I am with the opinion that there is no way Cary is dumb enough to get sucked into David Lee's paranoia about a women lead firm. By the way, they were not talking about an all female law firm, but instead one where it was lead by women.

And while the way they have butchered this show will keep me from missing it, I will clearly miss the oddballs they have as guest and you almost can not top Elsbeth, although Colin Sweeny would certainly like to try.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 1

Will Patton made the episode for me. I thought that was a really difficult role to play, probably, and he did it with a quirky charm and humor that was perfect for Elspeth's ex.

I couldn't squirm my way through the sex scene, so I fast forwarded. I just don't believe them as a couple.

This show has been great about bringing in memorable side characters, like Elspeth. I've loved that about it, and I can't think of any other current show I watch that gives me those regular treats that lure me into coming back for more. I mean, if a preview says, "Elspeth," for instance, you can bet I'll watch it. I'll miss that.

Edited for spelling. Twice. Ugh.

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 2

I thought they had put a stop to the NSA spying so I was confused about that. I must have missed something there. I was entertained in spite of it. I am a JDM fan so I liked that he had a lot of time although I don't really buy him as into Alicia but on this show everyone is so there's that.

These so called "Partners" have screwed each other over again and again so I get Cary's paranoia and Lee being a rat, is always on the lookout for one.

Love Elspeth is small doses and her ex was just as fabulous. Loved Tommy, too.

• Love 2

What I liked:

Elsbeth and her spouse, and their dog. Why did they get divorced,. they are so perfect for each other!

Eli and Marissa - Just love Marissa's snark

Lucca - Everything. But mostly her clothes

The hearings were interesting, but I find it hard to believe that anyone outside of the inner circle would ever be privy to that kind of information

What I didn't like:

The "love scene" (and I use that term very loosely) Between Alicia and Jason. No chemistry. A quicky on the couch of your office without even taking your clothes off is not romantic.

Cary. When did he become a tool for David Lee?

• Love 4

What plotlines still need to be resolved?

-The spying and FBI thing and finding out whoever's going after Peter and/or Alicia and why, obviously. 

-David Lee embezzling, from a few episodes ago. 

-Howard. So he's just going to be a Alicia's new father in law?

-Getting Alicia her happily ever after with Jason. How is the show going to make Alicia look sympathetic if she leaves her husband while he's in the middle of the scary, spying, casually-murdering federal government going after him?

-Getting Alicia into a job where she's happy, fulfilled, and successful. And the boss. I assume she and Diane become partners? Assuming the show ends on a week where they're friends instead of enemies. 

-Separate to whatever's going on with the FBI, exposing the NSA listening in on Alicia, because there's no happy ending if Alicia is still being stalked by the government. And if we still HAVE a government that does that, but that's for the Politics thread. 

What else am I missing?

• Love 1

What a slow, painful death for this show. I find it difficult watching Alicia/JM's scenes now especially with Jason/JDM. Their bright smugness burns. Her story line was saved for me because I've always liked Capt. Hicks. He is a quiet, intelligent, and dignified character and I wish we saw more of him. I also didn't mind the Elspeth and her ex's shenanigans especially in tandem with the Golds.

• Love 2
And why start this plotline now?

I think the only reason, other than perhaps a statement from the Kings about current US military policy, is to somehow expose the wiretapping by the NSA of Alicia's phone, including the open mic application.  The show could accomplish this in other ways, of course. but maybe that goes back to my first hypothesis.

I do want to find out more about why a dairy farmer from Israel is somehow tied to an FBI investigation.

I do want to find out more about why a dairy farmer from Israel is somehow tied to an FBI investigation.

The show covered that. He's a big donor to Peter's campaigns. I'm more confused how any investigation could be targeting Peter and his donor, AND an obscure bond court judge. What do they have to do with each other?

The show covered that. He's a big donor to Peter's campaigns. I'm more confused how any investigation could be targeting Peter and his donor, AND an obscure bond court judge. What do they have to do with each other?

The donor and bond court judge might/could be or are related to each other.

Edited by preeya

I have to admit that I am kind of liking the show a bit more now than in recent weeks/months/seasons.  It is liek the writers are just toying with us.  We complain about Alicia's drinking so they work her drinking into the story.  We complain about the constant firm break ups and make ups and they give us a ridiculous story about the men being afraid that the women will form an alliance and vote the men off the island.  I predict that next week all the white people at the firm will be worried that the 3 black people (the two associates they forced to bond and the one partner I thought I saw in the group picture) will try to start their own firm.  They are going to have to add other races if they are going to carry on this "Fear of the firm breaking up" nonsense for the rest of the season.  

I liked the scene with Smirky and Lucca  waiting for the elevator and Smirky says, "This firm is insane."  I thought it would have been more appropriate if he said "This show is insane" but I still got a giggle out of it.  

Well, as usual, all the wrongdoings by Alicia and everyone close to Alicia have no effect on Alicia.  They writers probably recently found out that  these sort of secret meetings exist and wanted to use it in an episode - just like they do with very new theing they discover (remember the employee who telecommuted by being a monitor on a segway and kept bumping into things?).  Of course, it had to be Alicia that got this special position, not only because it is the All-Alicia show now and everyone else is a paranoid buffoon, but also because this was the way they could bring the NSA guys back into the mix.  

I thought I heard that the other civilian lawyer was Mr. Something from the firm of Polmer and Something.  Finn Polmer maybe?  A fourth law firm in Chicago? Well, I guess we are back to three now that Florrick and Quinn no longer exists.

Meh. Did Jason not know she was married to the governor BEFORE they had sex? It just feels inorganic to me.

He can smirk, he can smile "knowlingly," he has done the best he can at giving off an "Intelligent guy" look, but have we had any proof that Jason is smart?  He thinks juice is the only drink in San Francisco and that computer guys work in Silicone Valley.  His "investingating" usually goes like this - 

David Lee to Jason: "Find out if the women are trying to start an all women firm."

Jason to Alicia: "Are the women trying to start an all women firm?"

Alicia to Jason: "No."

Jason to David Lee: "No."

I don't see what's misogynist about David and Cary being worried they're being pushed out. If what they think is really happening, they're going to lose their place at the firm. This would be the, what, seventy third, power play leading to a new set of partners, so it's not exactly without precedent to worry that someone at Stern Lockhart Gardner Bond Florrick Agos Canning Lee Lyman I'm Probably Missing Someone is trying to screw over another partner. Which this would be.

I love this name, but it is too long to type and needs more vowels to be a better acronym.  I wish Cary's last name was Ogos, just so the current firm's initials would be LOL

What a terrible way for a once really good show to die - Too bad it can't end right now - I can't imagine what "clever" ways they have cooked up for the ending of it -

My current favorite idea for a final episode is that Alicia gets arrested for the vote tampering, even though it was really Peter who was guilty of it.  And then as Alicia is heading off to prison, Peter tells her that he wants a divorce. 

She thinks about throwing her drink at him, but decides to chug it instead, gives him her death stare and says, "I stood by you when you went to prison." 

And Peter replies, "But you are Saint Alicia.  I am not a saint.  Never was, never will be.  Besides, being married to a criminal would be the death of my political career."

• Love 8

So the "leak" story in the panel was actually real? I was beginning to think it was actually something made-up by the Joints Chief Counsel and L&O ADA Robinnette to skew the voting. So what exactly happened that would have triggered "inter-agency squabbling" regarding the Panel? Did the NSA "analyst" do a write-up about what he heard on the open mic, and thus, his higher-up who saw the mention, write something to someone?

If it really was "inter-agency squabble" then for the Joints Chief Counsel to even suspect Alicia was stupid, because how could she have touched off anything like that?

• Love 1

NeedsChocolate, I love everything about your post. I would change only one tiny thing. As Alicia is going to prison, this happens:

Peter: "I'll wait for you!"

Alicia: "Why?"

Peter, with a smirk: "Because I'm The Good Husband."

The End, thank god.

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 5

Poor Carey. Every time the poor guy is on screen, all I can hear is "a storyline! a storyline! My kingdom for a decent storyline!" All the guy gets to do now is be a hanger on for whichever other partner he is in the room with. We know Matt Czuchry can carry strong stuff, just let him! I remember Matt Czuchry back when he was on Gilmore Girls, and I just hated him. When I started watching this show, it took me awhile to put aside all my Logan baggage, and start enjoying his performance here. Now I honestly think he is one of the strongest actors, and it kills me that he hardly gets to do anything anymore. I have also been watching some of his old GG episodes, and he really is good in them. He was just stuck playing a REALLY annoying character.

Alicia and JDM have, like, anti chemistry. When I see them together, I want them to be further apart. Leave room for Jesus you two!

The NSA Guys are ridiculously annoying to me, and I long for this story to come to an end.

On the other hand, I am always thrilled to see Elsbeth, and her ex husband is just the kind of guy she would go for. I kind of hope next time we see the, they're working it out.

• Love 4

I was thinking Jason was all of a sudden "MacGyver" when he used the paperclip to get out the cork. Though I doubt it would work, that was more believable than Alicia having sex with him in her office! I think she has more chemistry with Peter and that is not saying much!

Las week's episode of 'Limitless' put the characters in a hilarious Bollywood dance routine instead of showing them in a sex-scene. I wish TGW would have followed suit.

And no way that trick with the paper clip would have worked. I do wonder if Jason had a drinking problem back in his 'angry' days. He was quite insistent in turning down a drink.

Seriously, how easy can it be to just fire all the male partners for zero cause just because they have a Y chromosone?

Nothing says equality like hiring/firing people based on sex!

I am shocked that i seem to be in the minority about Elspeth. Or whatever her name is. I vehemently loathe her, as in fast forward any scene she is in. She is so unbelievable and sophmoric and utterly ridiculous, i mean WHO would believe such a character in real life, in a law firm no less? Ergh so stupid. Not funny, not enjoyable, just inane nonsense.

Can I join you at your table?

• Love 1

Best decision was to end this show, because right now it brings nothing to the table. I'm only curious to see how it ends and who winds up in prison, disbarred or worse.

I had to fast forward through the sex scene between Alicia and Jason.  Her "seductive" voice makes me cringe.

Good time to end the show when Alicia's face is horrifying while trying to seduce Jason. Counterpoint of a horrifying show that had a hot love scene the same night...

• Love 1

Maybe I should know this, but how does Marisa know about the voter fraud? I thought that Alicia knew people had accused her/the party of vote tampering, but that she thought it was unfounded. We found out later that Peter was behind it, but I didn't realize anyone else had known that.

And the bond judge wasn't involved in the voting thing....he was just suspecting of taking bribes and Eli tipped him off? 

I liked Alicia's SL this episode.  Alicia was in a great mood after she hooked up with Jason.

I cannot believe Cary, Diane, and David Lee are already doing this again.  I can't believe the idiot writers are doing this idiocy again.

Why are all the judges and attorney's flakes?

• Love 2