Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: The Blame Game

WendyCR72

Taking the easy road has been a growing problem with the show's writing team, they're coasting downhill, not putting any real effort or imagination into what they're doing.  They're presumably hoping that fans will never get bored watching Caskett in these vapid scenes at the end of each episode and if they cut back much further next season (and I fully expect them too if both leads re-sign) that's about all fans will be getting lol.

To be fair, I think the writers have been more innovative with the COTWs and putting more effort into the dialogue this season than Marlowe did in the previous few.   And the lack of imagination with many Caskett scenes was a constant in Marlowe's era after he got them together so it's not something that's particularly worsened this season in my mind compared to the previous few.   If you can put the separation stuff out of your mind, I would even say the Caskett this season hasn't been too bad compared to the last few seasons.  The chemistry is still there for me personally.  Caskett often doesn't make sense, but at least I haven't been bored. ;) 

Never watched Under the Dome. But I guess being a best selling author doesn't always translate into being a good TV writer/producer.

You're lucky, that show made me lose brain cells. But I doubt it was all Stephen Kings fault.

That would be a fun conflict. I never know how it works out for future kids. Suppose they let the kids pick themselves. At least Beckett isn't a Patterson fan, or is she? Heh.

It would have been nice if we got to see Beckett come home at the tail end of one of Castle's writer poker games and meet Patterson and whoever. I don't know if we ver heard about her reading other mystery writers or not.

I'm glad that somebody else noticed the color change. I was afraid that it was my eyesight or my TV!

I think the hair change is part of the "she's a grown up now" thing they are doing with Alexis this season. I remember some video where it seemed like Molly didn't like having to cut her hair. I like her cut, but not the color change.

You're lucky, that show made me lose brain cells. But I doubt it was all Stephen Kings fault.

I doubt he had much input into the actual show. He wrote the novel (which I didn't care for anyway) the series is based on & was an executive producer for the first season. I suspect it was more about the money & getting his name attached to the project than actual hands on producing.

I doubt he had much input into the actual show. He wrote the novel (which I didn't care for anyway) the series is based on & was an executive producer for the first season. I suspect it was more about the money & getting his name attached to the project than actual hands on producing.

He was credited with writing or co-writing several episodes, so I assume he did something. But maybe he's famous enough to get that honor without doing anything.

Anyway.....I do really like when they mention Castle's writing career. He is supposed to be really successful, so it's not unrealistic he'd do a collaboration with someone.

I thought of something that I liked about this episode. The killer lured all the men there under false pretenses, and then used their phones to get the women to come help them. Kind of a gender swap from the men coming to save a woman. Although if my partner texted me it was urgent to meet at a strange address I'd write back or call asking why.

I feel a bit embarrassed for everyone involved in that stupid mess of an episode; not clever, not suspenseful, not funny - nothing but given how this show is going no surprise there.

I think I must have missed something about NF and SK - is there bad blood between them so don't want to act much together?  Don't want to stir up rumors but wondered if there was something tangible that was said about this situation.

I feel a bit embarrassed for everyone involved in that stupid mess of an episode; not clever, not suspenseful, not funny - nothing but given how this show is going no surprise there.

I think I must have missed something about NF and SK - is there bad blood between them so don't want to act much together? Don't want to stir up rumors but wondered if there was something tangible that was said about this situation.

well at least they do a scene or two together (Unlike Juliana M over at the Good Wife). I used to love Castle, it was Must See for me for years. Lately I check in but it's now a background show for me. Who is that chick that is acting as Alexis's roommate? Castle's assistant?
I think I must have missed something about NF and SK - is there bad blood between them so don't want to act much together?  Don't want to stir up rumors but wondered if there was something tangible that was said about this situation.

Nothing tangible has ever been said about their relationship.  It's still a fan assumption that their reduced screentime together is somehow due to bts issues.  Personally, I think it's just as plausible, if not more so, that the leads both wanted to work less after a 7 year grind, and negotiated that in their new contract this season.  The writers may simply have wanted to maximise what they could of each lead with the rest of the cast, and so there's less overlapping screen time and more use of the ensemble overall.  I have yet to see any tangible evidence of unprofessional behaviour from either lead.

Who is that chick that is acting as Alexis's roommate? Castle's assistant?

She's Hayley, an ex British cop who is now a P.I. of sorts in the U.S. and whom partners up with Castle (now also a licenced P.I.) as well as Beckett on cases occasionally.  She and Alexis aren't roommates as far as we know.  That was the P.I. office, a new set this season.

It would have been nice if we got to see Beckett come home at the tail end of one of Castle's writer poker games and meet Patterson and whoever. I don't know if we ever heard about her reading other mystery writers or not.

I would love it if Beckett would share her real fangirlishness over his writing (about her and in general, the significance in her past and present) in all sincerity and also get teased on occasion about it by Castle.  I would love it if Beckett would get all protective of Castle's writing with other people.  Anytime his writing comes up between them is a plus for me.

One other thing I liked in the episode was the reference to being each other's better halves, and Castle going to the lever followed by Beckett because they choose each other.  Despite everything that's happened this season, against the odds, they still feel like a solid couple to me.

Checked the imdb credits of the writer.  It's her first episode of Castle and only third episode of TV overall, so I cut her some slack. 

Edited by madmaverick

As a general rule, I don't nitpick on the episode details, but this one was just ridiculous.

1. How exactly was the guy manipulating the rooms (the tvs etc.) from WITHIN one of the rooms? He wasn't holding any mechanism and tv reveals in the rooms were not random, but strategically timed to freak out the spouses in the other room.

2. They never explained how in the world he picked these specific people? The phone book?

3. There was no way that he could have predicted that one of the husbands would go AWOL and get shot, so why were there only three levers in the last room?There would/should have been four men at the end, so one of the couples wouldn't have had to 'choose'.

I'm not sure if I missed the explanation for these things, but I don't think so. 

I know that this is an extreme minority view, but I feel like the show uses the adorableness that is Castle-Beckett as a crutch. This is a police procedural, and the leads should be able to be compelling by themselves. Though the storyline made no sense, I think this is the most successful they've been at keeping the momentum of the show going without Castle and Beckett together the whole time. 

• Love 2

Although I enjoyed the general twistiness of the COTW and the kindergarten room set decoration, one thing jarred my concentration.

As much as I loathe and detest and abhor the whole LokSat arc and want it gone, I found it beyond stupid that Beckett never seemed to worry that it might be LokSat who arranged Castle's disappearance.

• Love 6

So I guess the bad guy of the week (again) didn't get the memo, Caskett are "broken up". How did Castle put it once: Don't ruin my story with your logic ....... boy do I wish there even was a story, let alone logic. But hey, at least we can count on Levidity Lanie every other episode.

Please someone put a fork into the show - it's done.

Oh and when did Beckett move back into the loft? Where has she been staying anyway? The strip club? How come Mr. SuperBad has no eyes on Beckett and where she spends her nights? .....Ah right. ..logic and story. ...my bad.

Edited by cappuccino
  • Love 4

I know that this is an extreme minority view, but I feel like the show uses the adorableness that is Castle-Beckett as a crutch. This is a police procedural, and the leads should be able to be compelling by themselves. Though the storyline made no sense, I think this is the most successful they've been at keeping the momentum of the show going without Castle and Beckett together the whole time. 

I've felt that way ever since the DC arc. It always seemed to me that Caskett was used to distract from a potentially unpopular arc. I know there were other occasions when they kissed and canoodled but the level during the DC arc and the S7 P.I.arc was particularly noticeable, but they couldn't really do that in the first part of this season because the unpopular arc was them being broken up, and adding the very reduced shared screen time of the two leads the showrunners had nothing to deflect the ire of those who saw the premise of their favourite show being dismantled.

• Love 1

As a general rule, I don't nitpick on the episode details, but this one was just ridiculous.

1. How exactly was the guy manipulating the rooms (the tvs etc.) from WITHIN one of the rooms? He wasn't holding any mechanism and tv reveals in the rooms were not random, but strategically timed to freak out the spouses in the other room.

2. They never explained how in the world he picked these specific people? The phone book?

3. There was no way that he could have predicted that one of the husbands would go AWOL and get shot, so why were there only three levers in the last room?There would/should have been four men at the end, so one of the couples wouldn't have had to 'choose'.

I'm not sure if I missed the explanation for these things, but I don't think so. 

Not to sound too defensive about the show, cause there were definitely some issues with this set up, but they did explain some of these.

1. When the TV first came on the killer was standing near the wall with his hand behind his back. It wasn't super obvious if you weren't looking for it.

2. He picked those people because that's who he blamed for what happened. The cop he talked to as a kid worked at the 12th precinct, so he picked the current Captain of the 12th Precinct. Beckett referred to one of the other woman being on the Board of Ed and guessed someone there let him down as a kid too. They didn't explain the last guy, but I think it was the guy who was a teacher? So maybe the guy blamed him because he taught at the school he went to? The good thing about making your killers crazy is that their logic can be a little off.

3. Not sure about only having three levers, but maybe he did that because he knew he wouldn't have to choose? 

Edited by KaveDweller

No, I totally appreciate that-- I'm not wanting to snark on the show if they explained these things. But...

1. When the TV first came on the killer was standing near the wall with his hand behind his back. It wasn't super obvious if you weren't looking for it.

The timing of the tv reveals would have required him to know what was going on in BOTH rooms. For example, the guy's tv went on as soon as one of the wives pointed the gun at the other two women. I don't see how he could be monitoring what was going on in the women's room. 

2. He picked those people because that's who he blamed for what happened. The cop he talked to as a kid worked at the 12th precinct, so he picked the current Captain of the 12th Precinct.

What I meant was why those people specifically. He knew details about them, their families, their schedules (allergies even!). I just couldn't understand where he would have encountered and learned details about this disparate group of people and their spouses in order for this to work. And as other posters noted, if he was really stalking or watching them, he would have known that Castle and Beckett were (supposedly) not together anymore.

• Love 1

No, I totally appreciate that-- I'm not wanting to snark on the show if they explained these things. But...

The timing of the tv reveals would have required him to know what was going on in BOTH rooms. For example, the guy's tv went on as soon as one of the wives pointed the gun at the other two women. I don't see how he could be monitoring what was going on in the women's room. 

What I meant was why those people specifically. He knew details about them, their families, their schedules (allergies even!). I just couldn't understand where he would have encountered and learned details about this disparate group of people and their spouses in order for this to work. And as other posters noted, if he was really stalking or watching them, he would have known that Castle and Beckett were (supposedly) not together anymore.

The video stuff could have been a coincidence though. It's convenient, but not as bad as other stuff on TV. There was a lot of dramatic stuff happening, so chances are he would catch something good.

I don't think he knew anything that couldn't have easily been found out in just a few days of research/surveillance. A nut allergy can be a big deal and those people have to be careful about what they eat, so he could have just overheard it when watching them. And if he had half a brain he could tell Caskett  are still in love with each other....they're still wearing their rings and all.  My complaint is that Rita (and maybe Locksat) is dumb enough to fall for it.

I agree with everything said about the implausibility, and add, why didn't Castle et. al. cover the camera and attempt to exit via the drop ceiling rather than through the door with the fire ax. One would think the door would be more likely booby trapped.

That said, I liked it. I was thoroughly entertained. If you can't check reality at the door for TV when can you do it? At least the silly premises weren't silly on the "can't dial 911 on a locked cell phone" level. It took a little bit of thinking to decipher the tunnel thinking and other dumbitude.

And what I love about Castle much of the time, this week included, is that even angsty episodes often just pique the interest without causing real anxiety.

For me, it was a good one. Hope the show sticks around.

5.  Stana Katic wore way too much make-up,.  I only mention it because it distracted me and she doesn't need it.  She's beautiful without it and NF is hot.    Less is more.

I find Nathan's "new" face way more distracting.......

• Love 1

I have to confess - this tickled my funny bone. The tags are on point!

http://sunrisefromindigo.tumblr.com/post/139829538266

Since she posted that gif (which yeah I thought was funny too), the blogger apparently got a bit of grief about it and has made a further post in response to certain fans who took issue with the tag.  I liked the way she dealt with it, the rants and bad behaviour in evidence particularly this season goes both ways in the Castle fandom not just from "haters" upset with what's happening but from some fans hyper sensitive to any comment that appears in their eyes to besmirch the show's integrity, even a tag that she clearly thought when she made it was pretty harmless fun - guess she's learnt her lesson.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

Since she posted that gif (which yeah I thought was funny too), the blogger apparently got a bit of grief about it and has made a further post in response to certain fans who took issue with the tag.  I liked the way she dealt with it, the rants and bad behaviour in evidence particularly this season goes both ways in the Castle fandom not just from "haters" upset with what's happening but from some fans hyper sensitive to any comment that appears in their eyes to besmirch the show's integrity, even a tag that she clearly thought when she made it was pretty harmless fun - guess she's learnt her lesson.

Further proof that you can't please everyone and some will find a way to always make mountains out of molehills.

• Love 1

Entertaining episode. Better than the last episode which was better than the episode before. Trend: rising (before plummeting downhill  when the show thinks it’s time to take Loksat seriously again:-)

Because it’s late, I’m just copying femmefan1946 as her likes are coinciding with my own:

I liked that the family met outside the loft.

I liked that Alexis mentioned that she was still attending school.
I liked the (almost believable) set up* for the capture.
I liked the way the two groups went about solving the puzzles.
I really liked that Castle did nothing dumb or clumsy for a change.
I liked that the writers decided not to bother trying to tie in LocSat at all and just ignored it completely.
For once, the bad guy had more than a bit part in the story.

I’d like to stress the ignoring Loksat part as a vital ingredient for my enjoyment. I unfortunately can’t rise above being extremely irritated about it.
This was also the first time since the two-parter at the beginning that I didn’t have a sense of randomness regarding the use of Hayley or Alexis.

Edited by Sonik Tooth

I record Castle for my Beckett fix, so I can only speak about the scenes I chose to watch and the scene that just cracks me up is when the gang arrives to rescue C & B and Ryan says they had their best person on it and Alexis comes sauntering in, LOL!!! Seamus Dever looks like he had a hard time delivering that line without laughing. Priceless!

• Love 2

He looks different around the eyes. No bags or puffiness.....way too smooth. It just looks different to me.

Better (or worse) video retouching? For years, video editors sometimes removed the mole from Stana's left cheek and who knows what else they did. Maybe they're applying a heavier hand on Nathan now.

Edited by TWP

Better (or worse) video retouching? For years, video editors sometimes removed the mole from Stana's left cheek and who knows what else they did. Maybe they're applying a heavier hand on Nathan now.

Maybe its the miracle cream he tweeted about his gf using. If so, can i get some.

My first thought when this was mentioned was may be he's using fillers if that's the right word? Actresses do it all the time to even their skin out in certain areas so why not the lads...it's their job to look good so I guess that's one way to fix a problem if make up and lighting isn't working for you heh.

I record Castle for my Beckett fix, so I can only speak about the scenes I chose to watch and the scene that just cracks me up is when the gang arrives to rescue C & B and Ryan says they had their best person on it and Alexis comes sauntering in, LOL!!! Seamus Dever looks like he had a hard time delivering that line without laughing. Priceless!

That pretty much sums up why I hate this season.   The number of eyerolls is becoming painful.  

Edited to add -- I think Nathan looks great this season so he should keep doing what he's doing or the editing people should keep doing what they are doing!!  

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 1

My first thought when this was mentioned was may be he's using fillers if that's the right word? Actresses do it all the time to even their skin out in certain areas so why not the lads...it's their job to look good so I guess that's one way to fix a problem if make up and lighting isn't working for you heh.

I checked his Twitter. He still has the bags so the missing bags are likely the result of retouching. I appreciate that he doesn't seem to go under the knife like other actors, although I wouldn't be surprised if that policy has changed since he started dating Krista (who's clearly had some work done).

But video retouching in TV is common and likely got a little crazy in this episode.....http://mashable.com/2014/12/01/hollywood-secret-beauty-procedure/

The thing is, it's high-def.  It's tough to hide stuff without editing or work.  Stana looked like she wasn't well;, almost gaunt,  and they made-her up - really up.  So, I feel for every actor. I'd hate my flaws to get criticized.  People are human - they age.  It's ridiculous to me people expect them to look perfect at 40.

Yeah I've felt the same looking at Stana occasionally, but Nathan seems to have suffered more, he can look really haggard in some episodes. I've heard that HD is something the actors hate it's so unforgiving, it's tough despite the other great benefits in being a star, their job requires them to look a certain way according to perceived perceptions within the industry of how the audience want them to look and it's crazy.  Of course the women usually suffer the most here I find. 

The sad thing is some stars take it too far in not trying to age and end up looking weird as fuck to me and I can't watch them on screen. 

I like those actors who actually look their ages lol and have laugh lines etc where they should or at least if they've had stuff done over the years it's been very gradual and subtle. 

Everything in moderation that's the key.

TWP. Thanks for the link on video retouching, very interesting but like everything it can be taken way too far. 

Edited by verdana

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing Nathan's "bags," just suggesting a reason for the comment someone made about him looking too "smooth". I actually like the old movies where people had character in their faces and more than one expression :-). Drugs like botox have killed facial acting, LOL

Stana has fewer signs of aging, maybe partly because she's tried to keep her weight down so she doesn't develop the stretchy puffiness. She also says that she drinks a ton of water, which probably helps prevent any bags caused by salt/water retention. But she may have had some help from a plastic surgeon (other than the obvious nose job). If so, it's very tastefully done. I noticed that she looked quite a bit different in a personal video she posted, the one where she thanked some people. Her features seemed larger. Thus, it's possible or probable that the retouchers are editing her quite a bit zas well.

I also was intrigues by her more pronounced facial expressions in that personal video. Her smile was a bit crooked and more smirky, etc. It's interesting how much they must direct her face for the show.

I noticed in the 8x12 (Blame Game) end scene when Stana turned her chin toward the camera, that her jawbone is way too visible, the space there is pretty hollow. I hope she’s just one of those people who believes in being super thin and that she isn't developing an eating disorder or something. Stay healthy, Stana. You are even more beautiful with a few more pounds...

Edited by TWP

Or perhaps he looks smoother because they finally used enough lighting and the shadows disappeared?

SK has been looking very thin this year not quite unhealthy yet but compared to SD's slim build she needs some more flesh.  I compare them because they are ectomorphs as is SS.  TJ and NF are endomorphs so we can't compare her to them.

The problem with Stana aging is, it's your face or your a.  I've aged. It's true.  She'll look older if she stays that weight. And, again, I really, really feel for both of them - HD is a nightmare for actors.  IMO - he looked really good, she look gaunt.  That's HD for you.

IMO Stana was her usual gorgeous self in this episode, and as far as Nathan in this episode, he looked fine, personally, I would never use the word hot to describe him, and that's not an insult, I just see him as your average looking actor, again my opinion. As far as HD is concerned, it's great for sports, animals and scenery, etc. but most people don't want to see the pores on someone's face during a close up.

• Love 1

The thing is, it;s just opinions.   You thought she looked great. I thought she looked gaunt, I thought he looked hot, you thought he looked ok.     I will say, HD is a factor in their appearance.  I just wish people could just age naturally,.  .  On the the next episode!

I’m late to the show this week. Without Loksat/Breakup drama, I wouldn’t have loved this one but I wouldn’t have been too bothered by it either. I am a broken record at this point. That is my constant theme for season 8.

It was obvious from scene one of the kidnapping that the extra guy was the mastermind of the whole affair. It didn’t bother me too much that I knew who the killer was early on. I did like the concept of the puzzles/kidnapping, just found the execution a bit lacking.

I could always do with more baseball on Castle! I love baseball. I remember the S2 baseball episode but I didn’t remember them referring to a team that Beckett followed. Not shocked but boo to Castle being a Yankees fan! ;)

I did like the end scene where they both chose to stay and stand against the bad guy. I also liked that Castle didn’t play the fool and Beckett wasn’t too much of a super cop. Despite being apart most of the episode, the end scene did remind me of the partnership and team work of older seasons. Too bad it was only for a few moments.

Castle and Beckett being separated for most of the episode wouldn’t be an issue for me if the entire season wasn’t structured in the same way. I certainly don’t have a timer out but in the context of the season it has been beyond distracting. I understand that the days of them being together for the majority of the episode are gone (which sucks). But they could have cushioned the blow by not going with the break up storyline for 2/3 of the season. Keeping the tone and feeling right would’ve helped immensely. Loksat + the break up + out of character behavior + reduced screen time = too much to handle for a light crime show that doesn’t specialize in continuity or serialized drama.

The end scene with Alexis was jarring to me (don’t get me started on the “best person” comment). She emotionally hugs Castle but didn’t spare a glance for Beckett. Alexis and Beckett’s chance to develop a normal relationship may have passed long ago (thanks writers!) but it was just weird to me that she ignored Beckett. Apparently Martha/Alexis and Beckett exist in separate spheres revolving around Castle, never interacting too much with each other. Too weird for me.

It’s never been clear what Alexis or Martha truly think about it all. They must talk in private, right? ;) I have found the limited reactions by Alexis and Martha to be bizarre. Families have opinions, they stand up for each other and they get mad or defensive or sad when real issues occur. Plain and simply, they react instead of behaving as plot tools and props. Besides Martha’s precinct visit with Beckett early on, the PI office chats and some truly bad advice from Martha, you wouldn’t get the idea that they care much. It’s something to joke about and discuss peripherally, not a big deal.

I think back to the scene in Knockdown when Martha and Castle talk after Raglan was shot. She was upset and scared. It was emotional and she showed genuine concern for her son. That woman would have an opinion about her daughter in law’s sudden change of heart. She would want what was best for her son and likely even Beckett as well.

Bad story development and poor characterization is old news for S8 at this point but it continues to bug me. Little additional details and moments here and there would’ve gone a long way towards making Loksat and the breakup seem somewhat plausible. I truly dislike the plotline but actually telling the story would make it less insulting to the characters and viewers.

Final thought, ignore everything I just wrote, this is the best comment on the episode to me:

As much as I loathe and detest and abhor the whole LokSat arc and want it gone, I found it beyond stupid that Beckett never seemed to worry that it might be LokSat who arranged Castle's disappearance.

Yes! Yes to that! Edited by GoGiants
  • Love 3

It’s never been clear what Alexis or Martha truly think about it all. They must talk in private, right? ;) I have found the limited reactions by Alexis and Martha to be bizarre. Families have opinions, they stand up for each other and they get mad or defensive or sad when real issues occur. Plain and simply, they react instead of behaving as plot tools and props. Besides Martha’s precinct visit with Beckett early on, the PI office chats and some truly bad advice from Martha, you wouldn’t get the idea that they care much. It’s something to joke about and discuss peripherally, not a big deal.

I think back to the scene in Knockdown when Martha and Castle talk after Raglan was shot. She was upset and scared. It was emotional and she showed genuine concern for her son. That woman would have an opinion about her daughter in law’s sudden change of heart. She would want what was best for her son and likely even Beckett as well.

This is what annoys me most about the show. They could be using Alexis as a device to dig deeper into character motivation or emotional state (Castle or Beckett), but instead they want her to be a super hacker.

It's exactly how I feel about the 'sexy times' they throw at us rather than address the elephant/s in the room. There's no depth or proper character development, it's all so superficial.

• Love 3

This is what annoys me most about the show. They could be using Alexis as a device to dig deeper into character motivation or emotional state (Castle or Beckett), but instead they want her to be a super hacker.

It's exactly how I feel about the 'sexy times' they throw at us rather than address the elephant/s in the room. There's no depth or proper character development, it's all so superficial.

And wasnt there an interview at the beginning of the season saying that there was going to be oodles of character development this season? Couldnt be further from the truth
  • Love 1

There were two* things that took me out of this episode:

1) Nobody said, "This is just like Saw!" I guess Saw doesn't exist in the Castle-verse?

2) Everyone just piled into the ultra-trapped death house at the end. If this had actually been Saw, the door would have slammed shut behind them. Somebody wedge something into the door, FFS!

* OK, two main things - if I didn't give minor things a pass, I'd never watch TV!