Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: The Blame Game

WendyCR72

I found this to be the worst episode since the return from hiatus. I didnt enjoy it at all. I knew the bad guy from the get-go, felt like everyone (SK/NF included) were putting little effort into their roles, the script wasnt "creepy" as advertised but kind of silly to me.

We all know they cant get more than 5 or so minutes of togetherness for Caskett and that was glaringly obvious this episode. For two people so in love, they really dont show it anymore.

• Love 1

We all know they cant get more than 5 or so minutes of togetherness for Caskett and that was glaringly obvious this episode. For two people so in love, they really dont show it anymore.

What was the Caskett scenes like? (completely agree about the 5 minute thing btw)

I only ask because I'm not watching until 8x16

It's hilarious that they would chose to do an episode where Castle and Beckett are trapped together when the 2 actors have severely limited how much screen time they are gonna be sharing?!?

It's like I said in the spoilers thread -- because of those limitations you get watered down versions of what could be.... Imagine how much better this episode could have been if they were truely committed to producing the best version of this show possible and not just phoning it in and cashing the cheques!!

• Love 2

They are trapped separately

I can't believe that Nathan and stana's schedules only must overlap by a day per episode. She must be working 3 days to his 4. They're never on screen together. I think the writers are trying to convince us their both on the show but it's dumb

Edited by scenicbyway

How are they trapped together and only spend ~5 minutes on-screen together? O_O

Cause they are conveniently trapped seperately until the last 5 mins or so... Even if they had been trapped together for 20 mins this episode could have been infinitely better.

• Love 1

I actually kind of liked it but it is ridiculous the extent they are going to to keep them apart.  On a shallow note, whoever is doing Stana Katic's make-up needs to lay off the rogue.  She doesn't need all that makeup.

• Love 1

So this must have been Hawley's regurgitated version of Cuffed (without the tiger. And the privilege of having your leads in the same room).

I liked the episode, but it's getting more and more obvious the show is structured around someone's inability to play well with others.

• Love 3

I kind of thought this was an interesting set up, but that's because I recently did this game where you sign up to get locked in a room and solve puzzles to get out. So, just like this episode except not against your will and no guns or death. We lost though, I wish Caskett was on my team.  I at least appreciate that they tried to switch things up from the usual formula of interrogation, witness, interrogation, witness, etc.

It would have been much better if they were trapped together the whole time, I felt like things just immediately got better once they connected (which it always does). But I did at least like seeing how they were both the calm ones in their groups and were the reason each group managed to get out, even though they used different methods. And that they figured out who the killer was without even talking.  I like seeing them theory build together and we haven't gotten anything like that for awhile. It was also nice that they refused to pick who lives/dies.

The last scene was sweet, I liked seeing them have a (short) real conversation rather than the sex references we've been getting at the end. It should have been longer though.

The parents of the killer really sucked.  It kind of reminded me of the Project Christmas thing on Alias.  But at least that was effective.

Weird that no one commented on them supposedly being broken up.

I don't know why Alexis bothers me so much but she does.  She needs some friends her own age.

It was really, really obvious that guy with the glasses was behind everything.

I feel like the scenes with Martha/Alexis blowing off or insulting Castle have been increasing and the scenes of them actually supporting him with anything have been decreasing. I get that some of it is supposed to be in good fun, but we never see Castle doing that to either of them. There should be balance.

They have completely given up on any kind of reality with the separation. This makes two psychos who have seen through the fake breakup now but the great & powerful evil overlord LokSat & wily superspy Rita are totally in the dark. Not only that but they are saying "I love you" over the phone. I would have to assume if Alexis can get Castle's call log that there is at least one person at the CIA capable of doing it.

As far as the episode went it was the worst thing that a TV show can be. Boring. Boring. Boring.

My fears following sneak peek 3 nearly came true (Alexis leading the cavalry to rescue them), but there was still enough Hayley and supersleuth Alexis to ruin even more what was a weak episode. The usual IT savvy Ryan can't get street cam footage but Alexis hacks it and then Hayley IDs the plates before the cops, the 12th Precinct is really becoming surplus to requirements, is this still a cop show or not? And Loksat has got to be the dumbest supervillain ever, and Rita's not far behind after apparently being fooled by Caskett's sham break up, and yet some deranged killer isn't deceived when he sets out to avenge his sister so he abducts them both.

• Love 1

LOL Killer is like you 2 are married and are each other's OTP. So basically he and everyone else can figure out they're really not separated unlike LokSat and I guess Vikram. This would've been a nice filler ep and a break for the leads from each other if they weren't so separated on screen for most of this season. Still the separating storyline/LokSat is one of TPTB worst ideas. Just as bad as Castle abduction from the wedding and no thought wrap up.

Srsly don't care about Alexis/Haley bonding and going out together. Now if she could go to class or something instead of hanging out at the PI office all day. Oh and hire a receptionist. She wouldn't be so annoying and it would be more natural if she was trying to get ahold of Castle and he wasn't answering. So she came by the office to see if he was there and then called Ryan/Espo or hired receptionist could've been trying to get ahold of Castle and called her instead. Haley wasn't really needed in this ep.

The separations of the significant others trying to figure out the puzzle felt too long. Did loled at back to a ending scene of Castle/Beckett having wine at the loft with the fire in the background.

I did like the opening scene at the cafe. Alexis excitedly talking about some class to Martha and Castle about his news. Nice that production can actually have them in a place that's not the loft or PI office. Makes them look like they kinda have a life outside of these COTW.

With Nathan, Jon and Seamus live tweeting the west coast sitting next to each, I guess they had the day off or no night shooting.

Edited by turnitwayup

Other than the truly awful actress playing Simon's wife, and of course the ever annoying Alexis "Experience and training? I don't need any of that to play with the big boys and girls!" Castle, I enjoyed this episode. It was clever and suspenseful and flipped the regular formulaic pattern off its axis.

I was left, though, wishing that Stephen King really would make a guest appearance on the show, I wonder if he's ever watched it.

But there was this on Twitter a few minutes ago, so who knows:

Nathan Fillion ‏@NathanFillion  11m11 minutes ago
We keep trying to get Stephen King on the show.

My second opinion, I've dwelled on this episode.

1. Alexis needs to go back to college, 

2 .  The first scene with Castle, Martha and Alexis was good.  Probably the best part the episode.  I wish  S. King would have made a cameo.

3.  That lady wasn't that broken up about her husband dying.   Writers dropped the ball.

4.  Stana./Nathan obviously have time limits together on-screen.. Don't like posters placing blame on him or her because we don't know.  Tired of the NF/ SK debate.  Pretty much ignore those opinions.

5.  Stana Katic wore way too much make-up,.  I only mention it because it distracted me and she doesn't need it.  She's beautiful without it and NF is hot.    Less is more.

I liked the episode, but it's getting more and more obvious the show is structured around someone's inability to play well with others.

Or maybe it's just structured around the leads' time off that they both negotiated as part of their contracts.

I'm tired of people playing the blame game when they actually don't know anything.  Unfair and unnecessary.  As in the episode, there's no need to play it.  

That's why I didn't name anyone. It's obvious there's more to it than contracted time off, I mean really.

Tired of it too Who knows, I can't judge. I'm just trying to comment on the episode. I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, just commenting on the episode.

Yeah, the episode, which suffered tremendously because Castle and Beckett weren't in the same scene until the last 10-15 minutes of the episode.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame
  • Love 2

That's why I didn't name anyone. It's obvious there's more to it than contracted time off, I mean really.

Pretty much. I mean you can have that opinion without pointing fingers at anyone specifically.

It seems obvious to me that something isn't right there. It's as valid an opinion as believing it has to do with them wanting time off.

If you want to call a valid opinion without having any actual factual basis as proof of something.  But standards are low in fandom.  Anything goes and anything will be believed by those who want to believe.  One person's idea of obvious definitely isn't mine.  As a believer in due process, I need more before leaping to any conclusions or condemning anyone.  Can't count the number of times some fans have been wrong before about things they were so sure they were right about.

Said it before, saying it again.  If you're going to concentrate on counting the screentime while you're watching, you're not going to enjoy the episode.  

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2

Pretty much. I mean you can have that opinion without pointing fingers at anyone specifically.

It seems obvious to me that something isn't right there. It's as valid an opinion as believing it has to do with them wanting time off.

We've been round this buoy before but my criticism is aimed at the showrunners. They didn't need to come up with the storylines they have done to accommodate the BTS situation, they didn't need to turn Alexis into this supersleuth, they didn't need to add Hayley to the cast, they could have utilised the existing cast better, I'm sure a lot of people would have been far more interested in learning more about Ryan, Espo and Lanie (You remember Lanie, she was Beckett's BFF) But in their early interviews the showrunners admitted that they had pretty much done all the COTW they could after 150 episodes (and yet other shows have topped 300 episodes and are still going strong) and that a happily married couple doesn't add value.They have admitted their lack of creativity with their own words, that's got to look good on their CV.

Edited by westwingfan
  • Love 2

Oops, sorry Wendy, my Hunt and Peck style isn't suited for speedy posting. Back to the episode it is.

I saw a tweet where it was claimed that Castle wasn't wearing his ring in the opening scene in the cafe, someone else is going to have to ratify that as I can't bring myself to rewatch the episode. LOL

Wasn't expecting Seamus to shade Montgomery in the live tweet. Part of me feels like he's over it and just enjoys hanging out with Nathan and Jon on and off set. So that boy Alexis was dating/hanging out playing laser tag at the loft and the other friend from last season is no longer around. Come on TPTB, please Alexis have friends of her own age to hang out instead of someone close to 15-20 yrs older than you. Some of the replies to his tweets were amusing.

seamusdever: Pretty sure the guy from the 12th was Montgomery

seamusdever: Yeah,Haley and Alexis are gonna pick up some dudes, forget about all this.

Liked the episode as I tend to when they break out of the formula, but it could have been better if there had been more twists and turns with the psych(o) games.  And yes, more of Caskett together would have made it even better, but honestly, I was into the story as I was watching and not focused on that.  The separation angle was interesting to play psychologically; they could have done even more with it.  I loved how they came together as a team in the end as always.  As far as I'm concerned, each got their moment to shine.  There was plenty of Beckett taking charge and saving the day and as referenced in the end, she rescued herself, so, again, any claims of some misogynistic agenda against the character completely fails to stand up to scrutiny.

The actors they got to play the other captives were not very good, other than the actress who played the psychologist lady.  And this weakened the episode.

Liked the opening Castle/Martha/Alexis scene and wow, so refreshing to see them in a new location. ;)  Now, if only we can get Caskett on a date outside.  But they're supposed to be separated or whatever, so never going to happen. ;)  Martha/Alexis was giving Castle a good dose of familial ribbing but I agree that it should be balanced and go both ways.

Who knew Castle was a baseball fan?  I thought only Beckett was.  Then again, Castle knew that big time baseball star in S2 and introduced fangirl Beckett to him.

Castle seems to have a 'history' with many famous authors heh.  But it's good that they are referencing his writer identity more this season.  Would love to see Stephen King, but Castle's probably not hip enough for him.  Think he's a fan of The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones and even wrote about it.

I would wear a nicer outfit to see Stephen King.  Thankfully, the psycho stole Castle's suit jacket as well as his phone, again, heh.

Alexis/Hayley getting a bit to do in the episode didn't bother me although I feel they've failed to utilize Hayley and Vikram well as the season has gone on.  Lost sight of their specific purpose so they aren't exactly missed.  The Hayley/Alexis friendship only feels marginally less forced than that between Beckett/Vikram. ;)  Luke obviously indulged at the end with that wowzer dress on Hayley.  Looked good on Toks, but just felt a bit out of place.  The intent behind the scene between Alexis/Hayley was good but it was just missing something.  Maybe because Castle being in danger isn't anything new and there's the fact that Alexis is putting herself in danger with the P.I. stuff now too.

Wish they weren't getting back to Marlowe era closing scenes of Caskett drinking wine or other alcoholic beverage together.  It's an easy set up so probably why they keep going back to it.  Those scenes have never really worked for me because they've become so perfunctory and predictable and never really go anywhere interesting conversation or kissing wise. ;)  I do like that they wind down together and talk about the case/themselves.  I wish this weren't the only way for us to see their down time together, but if it, then I suppose we'll have to take it. 

• Love 1
Did loled at back to a ending scene of Castle/Beckett having wine at the loft with the fire in the background.

Did they drink their bloody wine after all this? I'm fed up of seeing those scenes and they never get around to it. 

Didn't watch, didn't regret it based on these comments. 

Loved that tweet from Seamus lol. 

And Loksat has got to be the dumbest supervillain ever, and Rita's not far behind after apparently being fooled by Caskett's sham break up, and yet some deranged killer isn't deceived when he sets out to avenge his sister so he abducts them both.

I sense the writers have given up at this point, they clearly have zero faith in the story arc or know how to handle it over the course of an entire season, Locksat is turning out much worse than Castle's mythology, at least Castle's missing time didn't affect Caskett that much but the sheer stupidity of this separation-that's-not is constantly out there on display and worse being highlighted by the writers as if to say "yeah we know this is dumb shit! But we don't care deal with it suckers!"

Srsly don't care about Alexis/Haley bonding and going out together. 

What pisses me off is that they want Hayley and Alexis to bond where I see no natural connection (or chemistry) yet Beckett and Alexis remain a no go zone for these writers which I find bizarre given their relationship is ripe for further development given their relationship and their ongoing separation (cough) which surely should (if the writers cared remotely about realistic human behaviour) be causing discussions with friends and family. 

I presume yet again we got nothing here between Alexis and Kate despite the opportunities afforded?

1. Alexis needs to go back to college,

This is something I keep thinking every time any one mentions Alexis this season. Sigh

Also, what the hell is going on with her hair? Saw it on a sneak lol. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I was nearly right with my pre episode prediction on the Speculation thread yesterday as the bad guy did sort of fake his own death, or at least made out he was dying. LOL

"I'm wondering if it turns out to be a variation on Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" where the culprit fakes his own death in one of the games to deceive the others."

Did they drink their bloody wine after all this? I'm fed up of seeing those scenes and they never get around to it. 

Pretty sure they held their glasses while leaning toward each other on the sofa for a kiss in iffy lighting. Basically it looked like any loft wine scene since s5.

Who knew Castle was a baseball fan?  I thought only Beckett was.  Then again, Castle knew that big time baseball star in S2 and introduced fangirl Beckett to him.

Castle seems to have a 'history' with many famous authors heh.  But it's good that they are referencing his writer identity more this season.  Would love to see Stephen King, but Castle's probably not hip enough for him.  Think he's a fan of The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones and even wrote about it.

I never got the feeling he was a baseball fan unless he became a fan after being with Beckett for a few years. I figure Castle and Martha ran in the some of the same circles as Joe Torre and that's how they knew each other. Plus didn't Espo throw a ball at him and he totally missed catching it.

It seems like Stephen doesn't do many cameos and most of them are based on his work. I also can't remember him writing any eps not based on his works except for that X Files ep. Yeah I don't think this show is cool enough for him even thought he gets name checked.

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.

There was LIGHT!

I liked that the family met outside the loft.

I liked that Alexis mentioned that she was still attending school.

I liked the (almost believable) set up* for the capture.

I liked the way the two groups went about solving the puzzles.

I really liked that Castle did nothing dumb or clumsy for a change.

I liked that the writers decided not to bother trying to tie in LocSat at all and just ignored it completely.

For once, the bad guy had more than a bit part in the story.

Interesting that the two who went for the gun were married. That must have been an interesting relationship.

I don't think Castle was wearing a ring.

Terrible guest actors.

Haley was not organically connected. If she is now working with Castle, he could have mentioned her to Alexis. Asking her to contact Hayley would have been polite. Or doing it himself since they had a professional appointment.

Why has Molly Quinn changed her lovely pale red hair for that darker fake shade? Has she dyed her own purple or chrome yellow or something? Which would be one way of showing her moving into adulthood while staying a millenial.

*Where is the money coming from for all this and how do you set it all up on your parents' property without them noticing?

Edited by femmefan1946
  • Love 1

I saw a tweet where it was claimed that Castle wasn't wearing his ring in the opening scene in the cafe, someone else is going to have to ratify that as I can't bring myself to rewatch the episode. LOL

Well Becklebee has the scenes up so yeah I don't think he was wearing the ring at the cafe but his left hand is barely visible. He had the ring on in the room while the main credits were rolling and you could see it in the last room with the killer. Going with prop continuity mistake.

• Love 1

I don't think Castle was wearing a ring.

Maybe because they're pretending to be broken up. Svetlana and Dr Livingstone wouldn't like it (I presume ;-)).

I'm glad somebody enjoyed the ep. I couldn't watch due to personal stuff. It looked like an interesting premise, so I was bummed with the bad reviews. From what I've read here, I'm certain that Haley is going to bug me. I don't like the character or the actress. But I think the rest will be fine. I'm pretty over Caskett, so I don't care. I think we should all hope this is the last season, because imagine if they negotiated even LESS screen time and more days off next season.

Well Becklebee has the scenes up so yeah I don't think he was wearing the ring at the cafe but his left hand is barely visible. He had the ring on in the room while the main credits were rolling and you could see it in the last room with the killer. Going with prop continuity mistake.

I think everyone should go pounce on Rob tomorrow about the prop continuity.

I shudder at the thought and you have to think the odds on that happening are pretty high...

Maybe because they're pretending to be broken up. Svetlana and Dr Livingstone wouldn't like it (I presume ;-)).

I'm glad somebody enjoyed the ep. I couldn't watch due to personal stuff. It looked like an interesting premise, so I was bummed with the bad reviews. From what I've read here, I'm certain that Haley is going to bug me. I don't like the character or the actress. But I think the rest will be fine. I'm pretty over Caskett, so I don't care. I think we should all hope this is the last season, because imagine if they negotiated even LESS screen time and more days off next season.

And I think the idea of less screen time goes against the logic that either of the leads still love their characters. And, really, can you blame them? I'd find it refreshing if they said that they weren't really feeling the show anymore, but enjoy the opportunities that the steady paycheck brings.

• Love 1

Haley was ok - she didn't bug me at all.  Alexis did good in the opening scene and then it got ridiculous.   She really needs to go to college.  The lady in the Beckett room who drew the gun might have been the worst actress ever on Castle, but it's not like the writers gave her a lot to work with. Ryan and Esposito could have been written out for more Castle/Beckett screen-time..

Oh boy... I pondered over getting up early to watch the episode before having to head out or catching one more hour of sleep for a long time, and I should have stayed in bed. It was just not worth it.

I absolutely loved the setup of the episode, I thought the case was very cool, but having Castle and Beckett solve the same puzzle apart from each other didn't work for me. The first 20-25 minutes were super intense, but it didn't feel like a Castle episode to me because all the main characters were working on their own/with strangers that I as a viewer had a hard time sympathizing with. I knew who the bad guy was the minute they introduced him, and some of the guest actors were quite...weak, so that didn't do much for me and the episode got boring pretty quickly. I had at least hoped for a grander Castle/Beckett reunion scene or a meaningful talk back at the loft (silly me, I know), so apart from the last Castle/Alexis scene (which I kind of adored), the episode was very disappointing.

Alexis did good in the opening scene and then it got ridiculous.   She really needs to go to college. 

At least we got a mention of the fact that she's still in college.  Maybe majoring in psychology with a special interest in criminal behavior? ;)

The lady in the Beckett room who drew the gun might have been the worst actress ever on Castle, but it's not like the writers gave her a lot to work with.

She was definitely the worst.  And I couldn't buy her and her husband as a couple even though we only saw them briefly.  And her name was Meadow?  The writers didn't do her any favours either heh. 

I liked that Beckett knew how to make a bomb.  That's the kind of thing she probably attended a seminar on, and Castle would probably also know through his research.  

Also liked how Beckett said to screw the rules.  Yeah!  If only she would also say screw Locksat.  ;)

I never got the feeling he was a baseball fan unless he became a fan after being with Beckett for a few years. I figure Castle and Martha ran in the some of the same circles as Joe Torre and that's how they knew each other. Plus didn't Espo throw a ball at him and he totally missed catching it.

Could be fic influence but I always thought he wasn't much into sports perhaps due to his lack of a male influence.  There was also that time when he was trying to stop Beckett from looking at the paper when he was on that eligible bachelor list and rambled on about some sports scores and Beckett was like, really?  I forget, which team does Beckett root for again?  I hope they root for the same because Beckett's a hardcore fan.  Hm.. wait, Martha was totally going on about how boring basewall was to Jim Beckett at that parents' dinner so maybe Torre is a fan of Broadway rather than Martha being a fan of baseball.

It seems like Stephen doesn't do many cameos and most of them are based on his work. I also can't remember him writing any eps not based on his works except for that X Files ep. Yeah I don't think this show is cool enough for him even thought he gets name checked.

I think Stephen would find the plotting in this episode a bit weak compared to his work!

Would it have been good if Caskett shared more screentime in the ep?  Yes.  But I also remember a lot of people here tearing Cuffed to pieces and they shared almost every minute of screentime together in that entire episode.  A lot comes down to writing in the end.  As long as the story flows, screentime is not the uppermost concern in my mind.  I watch and enjoy shows like Game of Thrones where a favourite character or pairing can end up not being seen for episodes on end, even an entire season.

I'd find it refreshing if they said that they weren't really feeling the show anymore, but enjoy the opportunities that the steady paycheck brings.

That might be the quickest way to stop those paychecks coming, or the next one. 

The actors are definitely blessed with good fortune with their jobs, but sometimes I feel they can't win with some fans.  Occupational hazard, I guess.

That might be the quickest way to stop those paychecks coming, or the next one. 

Yeah, but it's not about the paycheck, it's the art. So hole in the wall theater would be perfectly acceptable, right? as long as it's a well-written story. ::rolls eyes::

All I know is that if they still love the characters and the story, they are doing an award winning performance in acting like they don't. They should have Emmys AND special Oscars for that one.

Could be fic influence but I always thought he wasn't much into sports perhaps due to his lack of a male influence. There was also that time when he was trying to stop Beckett from looking at the paper when he was on that eligible bachelor list and rambled on about some sports scores and Beckett was like, really? I forget, which team does Beckett root for again? I hope they root for the same because Beckett's a hardcore fan. Hm.. wait, Martha was totally going on about how boring basewall was to Jim Beckett at that parents' dinner so maybe Torre is a fan of Broadway rather than Martha being a fan of baseball.

Yeah, he definitely wasn't a sports fan in early seasons. But last year he talked about having Knicks tickets, so I guess he is now. But I think Beckett was a Mets fan, not Yankees....that could be some "fun" conflict.

I think Stephen would find the plotting in this episode a bit weak compared to his work!

Stephen King was involved with Under the Dome. That show makes Castle look like Emmy material. Edited by KaveDweller

Why has Molly Quinn changed her lovely pale red hair for that darker fake shade?

I'm glad that somebody else noticed the color change. I was afraid that it was my eyesight or my TV!

Never watched Under the Dome.  But I guess being a best selling author doesn't always translate into being a good TV writer/producer.  

Read that Marlowe's researching scary movies for a project.  Maybe he fancies himself the next Stephen King.  Should we be "scared"?  Heh.

But last year he talked about having Knicks tickets, so I guess he is now. But I think Beckett was a Mets fan, not Yankees....that could be some "fun" conflict.

I always thought the Knicks tickets were just because he 'knew someone' and what Ryan and Esposito always wanted from him for their 'friendship'. ;)

That would be a fun conflict.  I never know how it works out for future kids.  Suppose they let the kids pick themselves.  At least Beckett isn't a Patterson fan, or is she?  Heh.

All I know is that if they still love the characters and the story, they are doing an award winning performance in acting like they don't

They are never going to win any awards with Castle material, but I don't find their performances so terribly amiss.  I still enjoy them onscreen otherwise I wouldn't be watching.  Even in years past with some less than stellar scripts, they did what they could even if they couldn't salvage the material completely.

Wish they weren't getting back to Marlowe era closing scenes of Caskett drinking wine or other alcoholic beverage together. It's an easy set up so probably why they keep going back to it. Those scenes have never really worked for me because they've become so perfunctory and predictable and never really go anywhere interesting conversation or kissing wise. ;)

Taking the easy road has been a growing problem with the show's writing team, they're coasting downhill, not putting any real effort or imagination into what they're doing.  They're presumably hoping that fans will never get bored watching Caskett in these vapid scenes at the end of each episode and if they cut back much further next season (and I fully expect them to if both leads re-sign) that's about all fans will be getting lol.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2