Type keyword(s) to search

America's Got These Judges

• Start Topic

:One of the things that annoys me the most is the constant stating "America's got to vote", "America got it right", "America got it wrong", "America blah, blah, blah" I realize the show is called "America's Got Talent" but the only requirement to vote is a US phone number or web address, no id required. I think America's got bigger problems than voting in a talent show. Or maybe I'm just grumpy.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2

One of the things that annoys me the most is the constant stating "America's got to vote", "America got it right", "America got it wrong", "America blah, blah, blah"

This bothers me for what might be a different reason.  The judges decide everything up to the quarter-finals, who gets the regular buzzer, who gets the golden buzzer, who goes through for 1/6 of the semi-finals and finals, and who gets in as wild card picks.  That's not "America", it's four people.  Some of that is inherent in the design of the show (for the first rounds) but the judges have too much power to keep trying to make bad acts happen. (I believe in second chances; that's what other shows and venues are for.)

They could fill the role of what looks good on stage, though they get a closer view than most, and the aucoustics might be different (some people might sound good in the theater but not on TV, or vice-versa--just like Ariana Grande sounded better singing the National Anthem before the Seahawks-Packers game than she did singing HER OWN SONG on AGT.  Some of that has to be aucoustics or sound engineering or something*)

I'd rather see the live audience get a vote on whom to save and who to punt than the judges--or the live audience from the previous day.  Something that depends upon more than what a handful of people think every week.

* I know not everyone sings live when they sing "live"; but I think she did, and if she used the same approach for both venues, it's something else.

• Love 1

I feel like Mel B. seems disinterested in the show sometimes. It seems like she's more interested in being on her phone than in judging. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't come back next season, especially since she's also on the UK X Factor now.

• Love 1

It seems like she's more interested in being on her phone than in judging.

To be fair, her phone might be more interesting.  That's probably due to the quality of the acts we get to see from the ones selected by the people paid to watch and evaluate them.

My bet is that Mel B. won't be back. Why? Because she's been badmouthing Cowell's UK version of X-Factor, and I doubt she'd be doing that if she was going to still be working for him again.

So that opens the possibility of Cowell coming on for Mel, and some other American for Stern.

Frankly although I'm actually not totally hating the panel mix this season, I think it's time for Howie to go too (he's too comfortable and thus boring) and Heidi is just a waste. So I could see a total reboot with four new judges. Probably WON'T happen (I bet Howie stays), but wouldn't it be neat?

• Love 1
(edited)

Huh, I like Heidi as a judge. She likes the daredevil/danger acts, for one, which Mel B almost never does.  She always seems a little more unpredictable in her decisionmaking than the other three, and I like that.  But keeping it real, if Simon Cowell replaces Howard I'm outta here.  I started watching for Howard, and now that I've kind of gotten on board with the variety show aspect of things, which I love, I'd stay for many replacements of Howard, but NOT Simon Cowell. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Simon reigning in Howie would be a great change.  The issue is whether Howie will choose to come back and be subject to Simon's acid barbs.

I'd bet that at least one of Heid or Mel will be ushered out for a less expensive jidges panel. 

The determining factor really would be if Simon's contractual condition with Fox that he wouldn't appear on another network in an on-screen role still applies, or if it's lapsed by now.

It wouldn't necessarily even be bound by if American Idol exists, or if Simon has another Fox show.  It probably had dates on it.

I liked the opening bits with the Simon Cowell welcome cake and the bit at the end with the shaving cream. 

For the acts the judges weren't sure about, I could empathize with their tension.

Did they change the power of the Golden Buzzer, or just realize that "quarterfinals"="live rounds?"  Either way I liked the way they made it clear they weren't bypassing whatever power public voting has; they're only (maybe) bypassing the other judges.  I was surprised the CGI magician didn't get one, but maybe they want to see if he can follow it up first.

It was great seeing the abrupt and brutal Simon, if only for a scant few seconds.

It was also great seeing a subdued/restrained Howie.  He is the classic character actor.  If he is the lead, it just doesn't work as well.  As Howard was on his farewell tour, Howie was featured and overdone last season.  Way overdone.  So far, he has had his moments, which I love, but he was not carrying the show.  It was fascinating to see him not understand how to react when the Benny Hill sequence began.    When he is not the center of manic activity, he shows a lot of apprehension.  Add in his germophobia and that last bit was tremendously revealing to me.

Heidi did a credible job as the Simon scold.  Mel B was visibly happier to not have Howie acting out right next to her at all times.

I want to be very clear:  I think Howie with boundaries is great.  Less is more.  We all suffer when he becomes THE thing.   

19 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

Did they change the power of the Golden Buzzer, or just realize that "quarterfinals"="live rounds?"  Either way I liked the way they made it clear they weren't bypassing whatever power public voting has; they're only (maybe) bypassing the other judges.  I was surprised the CGI magician didn't get one, but maybe they want to see if he can follow it up first.

Wow. I would never give him a free pass. Honestly I thought his act was almost X-worthy. 

19 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

When it was first introduced a couple seasons ago, it was meant to be for when one of the judges wanted an act to go through that the other three (or at least two, since you need three yeses to get through to the next round) didn't. But the buzzer still only sent the act to Vegas week, and I can't remember, but I don't think any of those Golden Buzzer acts went through to the live rounds, as they didn't win over the judges that didn't like them, so it was kind of pointless. Last season they changed it to the "straight to the live round" rule, which at least gives a judge's desired act to get a chance with America's choice.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know what I think about the decision to make her host. 

What do you all think?

Discuss all things Ty(rant).

Edited by Kromm
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:35 AM, Kromm said:

I know what I think about the decision to make her host. 

What do you all think?

Discuss all things Ty(rant).

I don't know much about Tyra Banks really, but I did love Nick Cannon as the host, and I'm sorry to see him go.  He'll be a hard act to follow and what little I've seen of Tyra, I don't see her being able to fill those (oftentimes really weird and fugly) shoes.

• Love 5

I liked that Tyra Banks didn't try to be Nick Cannon--she was herself instead.  They only worked her into one act, either because of editing, or because the contestants didn't know how she'd react to being in an act, or what.   I'm curious to see how she works in future episodes.

I fast-forwarded through most of the judging, though I did wonder if they'd call the sand escape trick incredibly original.  (They did.)

My judgement on Tyrant has been "she's only 95% as bad at it as I'd assumed. So she's better than I thought she'd be."

Think about that a moment.

The real test will be live shows. I'm a bit scared of how she's going to tackle those.

The judges are a good mix.  I like that Heidi is not afraid to say no or hit her buzzer.   The flip side of that is she loves many questionable acts.  She LOVED the regurgitation guy last season, something that left me baffled.   And she is humorless BUT she has a place there.  

I don't like Tyra in this job.  Nick made the same stupid faces in the wings but he was comfortable doing it, she is not.  

Howie and Simon have been favorite people of mine for decades and I love Mel B.  I doubt she will quit because she is on the UK show, too.  Show business is all about doing everything you can; keep your face out there, it is your future.  

• Love 1

I'm really not a Tyra fan, I still don't hate, her, but I just don't care for her. But during the results show last night, when the 2 young girls, Darcy & Angelica were announced as both going through, it seemed to me the camera was too focused on Tyra's boobs as she hugged the two children rather than on the children. I am trying to make it clear which girls I'm talking about, said something on FB about it being inappropriate for the camera to focus on Tyra's boobs than the little girls and a friend made a snide comment about maybe the camera was focused on Tyra's girls! lol. I know Oprah has said Tyra has the best pair, but this is a family show?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I agree with your hatred of this fashion trend.  It looked like a black spandex swimsuit with a lace tablecloth

Grabbing a seat on the "hatin' it" bus with you guys.  Mel B was also wearing a spandex swimsuit, I forget the color of it, covered by a loosely-crocheted see-through tablecloth.  It was especially obvious as she went up on stage at Colin Cloud's request.  The cameraman kept a long, slow shot of her backside as she joined Simon onstage.  Between Tyra's and Mel B's tastelessly unfortunate sartorial choices, it's like we're watching some kind of freak show.

• Love 4

We've all seen Howie's aversion to handshakes for years now, in fact, we don't even really bat an eye anymore. Fist bumps are commonplace. The other day, I saw an old Johnny Carson show, back from 1984, where Howie was one of the guests. I was shocked when he came out and had no problems shaking Johnny's and Ed's hand. No hesitation, no wiping the germs off afterwards, even secretly. At the end of the episode, he shook hands with all the other guests, as well as Ed and Johnny again.

Now I want to know what happened to Howie to make his germaphobia appear? Did he always have it, and was just forced to buck up during these appearances? Finally, one day, he decided that he was big enough that he didn't have to pretend anymore? Or did something happen? I find this fascinating. Anyone have any ideas?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Does Mel B look odd to anyone else this season? She looks strangely pale to me, and her makeup looks flat. 

Yes, she does look strange, I just can't put my finger on why.  Maybe it is her makeup.

@Ohwell I watched World of Dance and noticed how fabulous Jennifer Lopez looked. She has a great makeup artist who uses contouring and colors to make her look vibrant and gorgeous. My daughter and I thought Mel B looked waxy and unwell, and she usually looks great. I also wondered if she had gotten her skin lightened. 

• Love 1

Ok, I hate the mugging by the judges and Tyra. It's soooooooo fake. They must all have a light that comes on for them to over- react.  I LOVE talent shows from way back. ...even Ted Mack's Amateur Hour...but these judges are dumb. Can't they just be a little more natural?  

I imagine the audience is also told to gasp, in shock and awe,  derision and judgement, or giddy guffaws in order to be on camera, but it's tiring.  I need to start a drinking game on each time an audience member covers their mouth or nose eith eyeballs bulging in wonderment at these incredible acts of amazing "talent". Have these people been sheltered from tv and the Internet most of their lives?  

My sister watches the show so it gives us a conversation item long distance , otherwise,  I haven't watched till this season.  She talked me into it. We love American Idol,  but, yeah same problem,  but I can ignore them better,  and look away from Katie Perry, or have a bathroom break. Ha, the autocorrect said " barroom" break. Yep, autocorrect gets me. 

• Love 1
On 6/6/2018 at 7:54 AM, Tosia said:

I imagine the audience is also told to gasp, in shock and awe,  derision and judgement, or giddy guffaws in order to be on camera, but it's tiring.  I need to start a drinking game on each time an audience member covers their mouth or nose eith eyeballs bulging in wonderment at these incredible acts of amazing "talent". Have these people been sheltered from tv and the Internet most of their lives? 

The audience is told ahead of time what to do as they are filmed watching an empty stage, and the reactions are spliced in later.

I HATE MEL B.  Wish they'd replace her  She's no "personality."  "WHUT  JOOST APPENED!"  What the hell does that even mean, anyway?

Edited by Lava VaVoom
typo

Made me laugh when Simon rescinded his X on the kissing porpoise act and Mel B. could hardly sputter and reiterate enough that she had just told Howie she wanted to change her X.  

Also, Mel?  if you give an opinion and the audience doesn't like it, quite being so woundedly defensive.  If you mean it, say it and shut up.

Additionally no longer amused by the Simon/Mel drama.

Yeh, I think she is starting to irritate me.

Simon’s haircut is so much better, finally.  I don’t like any man in the very tight sides and longer top.  It just isn’ attractive even on the most handsome.   Simon has that cowlick on top that parts it in the center so the longer sides make that work.  

So maybe it was a substance abuse issue, so I'm sorry I said she irritated me.  Wish her the best on this difficult journey.

Mel B unveils dramatic new tattoo after announcing she's checking into rehab

Update:  Looks like she feels it is PTSD, the alcohol was not the problem,just a symptom.

The news came from the singer in a statement to British tabloid The Sun, as she told the publication that, "The past six months have been incredibly difficult for me."

'America's Got Talent' 5th Judge: Blindfold Trapeze Act Seeks Redemption After Dangerous Drop

VIEW STORY

"I am fully aware I am at a crisis point," she admitted in a lengthy statement. "No-one knows myself better than I do. But I am dealing with it."

"I am being very honest in my book about drinking to numb my pain but that is just a way a lot of people mask what is really going on," the former Spice Girl continued. "Sometimes it is too hard to cope with all the emotions I feel. But the problem has never been about sex or alcohol -- it is underneath all that."

"After trying many different therapies I started a course of therapy called EMDR (eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing) which in a nutshell works on the memory to deal with some of the very painful and traumatic situations I have been through," she also explained. "I don't want to jinx it, but so far it's really helping me.

Mel B to Enter Treatment for PTSD, Reveals She's at a 'Crisis Point' In Her Life

0_PAY-EXCLUSIVE-Mel-B-and-Gary-Madatyan-

Edited by vast wasteland
19 hours ago, vast wasteland said:

So maybe it was a substance abuse issue, so I'm sorry I said she irritated me.  Wish her the best on this difficult journey.

Mel B unveils dramatic new tattoo after announcing she's checking into rehab

Update:  Looks like she feels it is PTSD, the alcohol was not the problem,just a symptom.

0_PAY-EXCLUSIVE-Mel-B-and-Gary-Madatyan-

I hope she gets the help she needs.  I guess I am in the minority, but I have liked Mel as a Judge, but this season she does seem out of sorts & not looking well.   Those tattoos look painful, but I guess they express how she is feeling.

• Love 3

Mel has seemed awfully weepy this season...she seemed to have trouble keeping it together tonight....I guess she will go into rehab after the Finale in a couple of weeks?  

Speaking of weepy, what was with Simon tonight, being all weepy & unable to talk after that last singer(with all the adopted kids), I mean he has a great personal story but not the greatest voice, but Simon seemed to think he was the greatest guy ever.  The old snarky Simon must have disappeared after he had his son...he mentions his son often and seems to really love the little boy

11 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Mel has seemed awfully weepy this season...she seemed to have trouble keeping it together tonight....I guess she will go into rehab after the Finale in a couple of weeks?  

Something is fishy about all of this since I found out that she appeared yesterday on Ellen pushing a book.