Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: It's A Totally Happening Life

• Start Topic

Sick of this love triangle yet?

Hell no! It's all good soapy fun.

STEVE CUT THE APE DRAPE! He's instantly doubled his sex appeal.

Based on BAG's face in that pic, I think David was crushing on post-mullet Steve as well?

• Love 1

The triangle story in this episode is soooo awful, mainly because it would have made a heck of a lot more sense if Dylan and Kelly had already confessed about the Summer of Deception. Where is this "we both love you" and "I love you both" fucking nonsense coming from?! From Brenda's perspective, Kelly and Dylan have had exactly one date. One! So why is she even putting herself on even ground with Kelly?

I mean, I know the answer is she didn't think Kelly stood a chance. But if she really thinks that she never would have agreed to the ultimatum because the ultimatum itself implies they are somehow equal, when from her perspective it's a contest of "two year serious relationship" vs "one date".  I mean, what the hell!?

• Love 4

LOL I remember this one. I remember feeling so awful for Brenda (even though she sucks) because it must really be terrible to have your supposed best friend and the guy you lost your virginity to play you for a complete fool. The most unbelievable part of this triangle that either Brenda or Kelly think Dylan is worth it. Even back in the 90's, I thought he was moody and miserable. In other words, I basically agree with Jim Walsh's assessment. Maybe because I grew up on the East Coast but I never saw Dylan's appeal.

Also Andrea...is just so annoying even looking at her face, annoys me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

All my acceptance letters were like one page. The thick envelopes came later.

The mullet is gone! My attraction to 90s Ziering no longer has qualifiers! I think I'm sort of embarrassed about this!

When I got accepted into college, fat envelopes meant you got an acceptance letter and paperwork  for things you needed to know--like how to send in your deposit, forms to fill out etc. This was in 91/92

Does anyone remember the movie How I got into College? And the girl on the phone yelling "Is it fat or skinny?!" about the envelope she had gotten in the mail? 

I watched this episode a few months ago and omg, was it a chore to get through! UGH. Definitely a nonac-worthy episode!

Yeah, mine were coming in '90-'91 as well. I guess there's no actual rule.

Gil's brand of being the Cool Teacher icks me out. Going with a student in private to read her acceptance letter, when you've already been accused of sexual assault by a student you went with in private, is just super bad judgment.

• Love 3

The episode is so bad. I think Nikki deserved a better farewell but whatever. I never thought about the whole cause Donna is a virgin that's why they got saved theory thingy. That kind of makes it worse, I dunno.

I think all barfs should be replaced by David Silver's barf in the U4EA episode. That was some good hurling. 

Edited by SoupThrower
  • Love 2

Baby-Voice Kelly drives me crazy. I know you're rife with challenges right now, but I keep thinking I'd love to hear 5 ways Cool Kelly would hate Un-Cool Baby-Voice Kelly (or 5 times she'd punch her, something of this ilk.)

• Love 3

I never realized I have the sensibilities of a 13 year-old boy but is it me or does'Brenda's cookie (okay, that sounds dirty before I even get to my point) have candy breasts?

And Tara, Tyra Banks called:  she wants you to apologize to the hat.

Does anyone remember the movie How I got into College? And the girl on the phone yelling "Is it fat or skinny?!" about the envelope she had gotten in the mail?
LOVE that movie!

That type of sprinkles (and the sheer amount of them) would make those cookies so crunchy to eat. I think they're called nonpareils. Random thought but I was like, "Ugh, too many sprinkles, I choose neither of you." Edited by kfree9
  • Love 2

I concur with Tara and Sarah on their confusion of the love triangle. Dylan and Brenda BROKE UP. And, to me, it was totally obviously that Dylan was choosing Kelly. Especially after he went to her 30 seconds after he and Brenda BROKE UP. Plus he was making way more snarky comments to Brenda, he didn't even seem into her anymore.

• Love 2

Donna's a nice girl and all, but an angel on earth? For real?

That's how you're characterized when your father is producing the show you're on.

Am I bad that the first time I saw this I was rooting for the bus?

How much more of a train wreck would Steve have become if he had witness his friends being wiped out by a bus and had been the sole survivor?

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Fun fact #1: The Muffs, who were so offended by Brian Austin Green's foul mouth, were the band who did the Kids In America cover for the Clueless soundtrack. 

Fun fact #2: In high school I had two best friends who liked the same guy (I was The Donna, I guess, which is a thing I hope is not true in any other situation ever) and made this same agreement with him and - SPOILER ALERT - it did not end well. 

This episode: ergh. Ergh ergh ergh. The virgin=angel thing is so gross. Everyone is so gross. Except Mrs Teasley and maaaaaybe Steve is so gross.

Bye Nikki - I'll miss you the most of any of Brandon's girlfriends we never see again. I'm already indignant that you're not the one the Brandon remembers most fondly at the senior breakfast but I guess it's some random behind-the-scenese contractual thing? 

• Love 3

I was concerned that Tara might end up barfing herself inside out. I mean, I was ready to do the same.

I mean... first of all, I hate "It's A Wonderful Life" homage-ripoff episodes of things (partly because I'm a terrible person with a cold dead heart who dislikes the movie IAWL in the first place... "It's a wonderful life for everyone except YOU, George Bailey, you DOORMAT" ... but I digress.) And then... everything just so hamhanded and twee at the same time. Brandon even out-Brandoning himself. Just... had they given up on getting Jason Priestly to do any other emotion other than self-righteous mooing? GAAAAAAAAH!

Also that was the world's widest one-way street.

• Love 1

I think it depends on the school. Some i could log in the site and it said the status or got an email before the letter. Some i got a fed ex whatever notification or package full of shit. Some i got a thin letter. This seems like a 100 years ago.

Everyone looks horrible in those screencaps.

My dog has that buffalo check jacket Beth from RW LA is wearing but it looks good on a 5lb black Yorkie.

Edited by Petunia13

Part of me wishes that bus did get hit and that God accidentally saved Brandon instead of Donna (the whole virgin = angel stuff is kind of gross) and saved David because of his rap music while ending the triangle and Andrea because she wanted to see Gil in the nude. Maybe a piece of flying debris hits Gil as well at least knocking him out cold and We have to save Teasley. 

Donna's a nice girl and all, but an angel on earth? For real?

It gets a lot worse after David cheats on her with 'the Little Mermaid' who left him a 'Sebastian'

The triangle story in this episode is soooo awful, mainly because it would have made a heck of a lot more sense if Dylan and Kelly had already confessed about the Summer of Deception. Where is this "we both love you" and "I love you both" fucking nonsense coming from?! From Brenda's perspective, Kelly and Dylan have had exactly one date. One! So why is she even putting herself on even ground with Kelly?

The first time I watched this episode (20+ years ago) I actually thought Brenda knew about it already. I figured that she must have put the pieces together when Dylan told her about a girl during the summer and seeing him with Kelly a few days later. It was the only explanation I had for her non-reactions during these declarations of "love" between Kelly and Dylan. So, imagine my reaction when I realized (a few episodes later) that she had no idea. So utterly ridiculous that Brenda wouldn't have been suspicious!

• Love 1

I think it depends on the school. Some i could log in the site and it said the status or got an email before the letter. Some i got a fed ex whatever notification or package full of shit. Some i got a thin letter. This seems like a 100 years ago.

Ha, I was applying to college around the same time as the 90210 crew and getting emails or logging in to college websites to find out if you got accepted didn't exist yet.  I used email for the first time when I got to college.  I think I even learned about this new thing called the "world wide web" in either my freshman or sophomore science class in college.

Edited by marny
  • Love 2

Not gonna lie, Sarah's random reference to The Real World really makes me wish that awful, awful episode where David makes everyone record a Real World parody (complete with Brandon as Puck; like, of course) wasn't so far away from where we are now.

New challenge idea: Five pieces of acting so terrible you begin to think Tori Spelling got cast based on her actual talent.

• Love 1

I know most of the original music has been stripped out of these, so I'm assuming this has too, but I'm 99% sure that when these episodes first aired the end credits played over music videos? I know one was Jeremy Jordan's Right Kind Of Love (...sorry if that earworms anyone), and it started off with Donna at the Peach Pit putting money in the jukebox and saying 'Jeremy Jordan? All right!' Cathy Dennis was another one, and she played at prom later this season. 

I think maybe they had a soundtrack out? Does anyone else remember this? I'm in Australia so it may be that this wasn't a worldwide thing but IANAC.

• Love 2

I know most of the original music has been stripped out of these, so I'm assuming this has too, but I'm 99% sure that when these episodes first aired the end credits played over music videos? I know one was Jeremy Jordan's Right Kind Of Love (...sorry if that earworms anyone), and it started off with Donna at the Peach Pit putting money in the jukebox and saying 'Jeremy Jordan? All right!' Cathy Dennis was another one, and she played at prom later this season. 

I think maybe they had a soundtrack out? Does anyone else remember this? I'm in Australia so it may be that this wasn't a worldwide thing but IANAC.

I don't remember the end credits thing, but I definitely remember Donna saying "Jeremy Jordan? All right!" and I'm in the US so it wasn't a just Australia thing. 

• Love 2
Bye Nikki - I'll miss you the most of any of Brandon's girlfriends we never see again. I'm already indignant that you're not the one the Brandon remembers most fondly at the senior breakfast but I guess it's some random behind-the-scenes contractual thing?

I thought it might be because Gabrielle Anwar (the ice skating girl Brandon remembers) was in Scent of a Woman during that season, so she was very prominent at the time. 

I took the Donna = angel on earth to be because she was organizing the event for the elementary school and not because she was a virgin.  Was I that naïve?

I had the same thought you did.  I never made the connection between the comment and Donna's virginity.  I would never have thought the show would be quite that subtle. 

And I did love that the angels call Ohn-drea, "Ann-drea." 

I thought it might be because Gabrielle Anwar (the ice skating girl Brandon remembers) was in Scent of a Woman during that season, so she was very prominent at the time. 

Yep, she was probably the most real-life famous of Brandon's Random Women at the time. She was also in The Three Musketeers that year, and that was, from memory, pitched at a 90210-age audience. 

I don't remember the end credits thing, but I definitely remember Donna saying "Jeremy Jordan? All right!" and I'm in the US so it wasn't a just Australia thing. 

Thanks! Like so many 90210 things that have disappeared forever due to music rights, I'm mostly just glad I'm not imagining it. Not that it happens often, but to this day whenever Jeremy Jordan comes up I automatically add 'All right!' to his name. 

• Love 1

Not gonna lie, Sarah's random reference to The Real World really makes me wish that awful, awful episode where David makes everyone record a Real World parody (complete with Brandon as Puck; like, of course) wasn't so far away from where we are now.

New challenge idea: Five pieces of acting so terrible you begin to think Tori Spelling got cast based on her actual talent.

Assuming we can choose from any season for this, here is my top 5:

1. Any time Noah is angry.
  2. Any time Noah is drunk.
  3. Any time Noah is getting "frisky".
  4. Any time Noah is on his high horse.
  5. Any time Noah speaks.

Bonus answer: Any time Noah is on the screen.

To summarize, Vincent whats-his-name makes Tori Spelling look like Sir Laurence Olivier.

• Love 4

I didn't hate this episode--it's obvious but, well, It's a Wonderful Life is a classic for a reason--but I haaaaaaaaatttttttttteddddd the stupid accents of the angels. For starters, the girl angel (Miriam?) sounds like LaVoyne--which, we can all agree, is an objectively stupid accent. It's done strictly for comic purposes and fails miserably. Second, CLARENCE SOUNDS NOTHING LIKE CLARENCE FROM IAWL!!! Clarence from the movie doesn't sound like Danny DeVito! And he would never be some kind of annoyed middle bureaucrat, saying "go away until you memorize the book." Clarence was sweet and kind and very patient with George, trying to help him understand what a gift he'd been given. This is such a sleazy appropriation of IAWL. Ditch the stupid accents and just tell the story without the forced stupid jokes. And stop forcing the two alpha females to compete for a dude. I'm vomiting at that storyline. It's so offensive. You had an interesting idea, D&B break up and Dylan pivots to Kelly--and now it's "oooh, the two gorgeous girls throw themselves at the dude"? VOMIT.

Edited by CeeBeeGee
On 2/25/2016 at 11:40 AM, RalyWilmy said:

Assuming we can choose from any season for this, here is my top 5:

1. Any time Noah is angry.
  2. Any time Noah is drunk.
  3. Any time Noah is getting "frisky".
  4. Any time Noah is on his high horse.
  5. Any time Noah speaks.

Bonus answer: Any time Noah is on the screen.

To summarize, Vincent whats-his-name makes Tori Spelling look like Sir Laurence Olivier.

I've always wondered about that casting. It's an established show, so why were they unable to find some unknown person who could act? Years later when I watched Mad Men I was even more confused. That show is loaded with great actors and most are people I'd never heard of, suggesting it is possible to find unknown talent that can act.

On 2/19/2016 at 4:30 PM, MissEwa said:

Bye Nikki - I'll miss you the most of any of Brandon's girlfriends we never see again. I'm already indignant that you're not the one the Brandon remembers most fondly at the senior breakfast

Omg yessss!!! That upset me so much! First because I loved her, but really? Gabrielle Anwar from one ep? Whatever.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1