Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
starri

DC Comics: Rebirth and Reboot

Got through "The Lazarus Contract." I'll keep reading Deathstroke to see if Slade's "conversion" sticks, especially after the epilogue put out this week. One question: are all interpretations of Damien/Robin as obnoxious as the one in that crossover? My basic reaction boiled down to, "How is he not dead? Why hasn't somebody broken his neck? I mean, aside from his being trained as an assassin from Day One."

DC put a very sweet memorial page to Adam West in the back of all their comics this week.  With the lovely dedication "Thanks for being our first real hero, old chum..."

So, Bendis defected to DC today.

The man has written a lot of comics I have very much enjoyed (and plenty I haven't), but I can't imagine what he'd bring to the table at DC.  I don't blame him being burned out at Marvel, though.

4 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Can he retcon the entire universe then  blame it on Zatanna?

On erom snamuhateM.

Honestly, absent that, I think he would actually pair well with Zatanna.  Her solo series that was a casualty of New 52 was criminally underappreciated.

Except that even though I can't imagine why, I doubt DC backed up a dumptruck full of money to his house just for him to write for one of my favorite characters.  He has to be getting at least one of the Trinity.  King seems to have Batman locked down for now, so I just hope they keep him away from Wonder Woman.  I do legitimately like a lot of his stories, but I really don't like the idea of him and Diana together.

Didn't expect this to happen.  I wonder if it will be under the Vertigo banner again.  It just doesn't feel right to put Sandman-adjacent stories in DC-proper.  I guess we're at the point in the industry that people who were pre-teen and teens during the 90s are running things, so we're getting stuff we loved back then back.

Sandman Mystery Theatre, come on.

Wow. Gaiman isn’t directly writing, though, right? “Here are my plots, lads. Drop a line if you need anything. I’m going to meet Starz about how the second season of American Gods can be even more insane. I am in competition with Garth Ennis, after all.”

Edited by Lantern7

1 hour ago, Twilight Man said:

It looks like Linkara will be saying "It's Miller Time!!!" for several more years to come.

I wonder if any of those include finishing All-Star Batman.

Action 1000 includes a story where

Spoiler

Billions of years later, Superman returns to a dead Earth orbiting Sol, which has entered the red giant phase of its star lifecycle.

... why isn't he depowered under a red sun though????????!???!?!

50 minutes ago, arc said:

Action 1000 includes a story where

Hide contents

Billions of years later, Superman returns to a dead Earth orbiting Sol, which has entered the red giant phase of its star lifecycle.

... why isn't he depowered under a red sun though????????!???!?!

I'm not up on my latest lore, but IIRC

Spoiler

he can store power for later, kind of like a battery. Maybe he's recently been under a yellow sun?

As I vaguely understand it, the lore is 

Spoiler

he can store power -- this is how he can operate at night and otherwise out of direct sunlight -- but the light from any red sun instantly deactivates his superpowers, regardless of stored solar energy. Essentially, the battery still has juice but the circuit can't be closed.

On the other hand, I think there's some other lore (DC 1 Million?) that an immensely older Superman will develop a host of new powers so <shrug>. But I would have preferred some mention of that or else just a solar suit like what he wore in All-Star Superman. After all, in DC 1 Million, he'd turned golden.

3 hours ago, arc said:

As I vaguely understand it, the lore is 

Hide contents

he can store power -- this is how he can operate at night and otherwise out of direct sunlight -- but the light from any red sun instantly deactivates his superpowers, regardless of stored solar energy. Essentially, the battery still has juice but the circuit can't be closed.

On the other hand, I think there's some other lore (DC 1 Million?) that an immensely older Superman will develop a host of new powers so <shrug>. But I would have preferred some mention of that or else just a solar suit like what he wore in All-Star Superman. After all, in DC 1 Million, he'd turned golden.

Yeah.

Spoiler

He has long enough to develop a counter. Even these days I'm sure there are enough science types in the DCU to have a stab at it.

So many awesome memories with Vertigo Comics. Sandman, Books of Magic, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, 100 Bullets, Fables, Lucifer, Unwritten, Y the Last Man. That was my list. Someone else could have an entirely different list of titles that moved them. 

Real life tidbit: I’m a playwright who has written sci-fi based plays with some success. If I had to accurately describe my aesthetic, it’d be “plays that are secretly Backdoor Vertigo proposals.” I did in fact send in a proposal for a Books of Magic spinoff some two decades ago. As I didn’t have a clue what I was doing it was rightfully ignored. 

• Like 1

I mean they have nobody to blame but themselves.  The last crop of Vertigo books were pretty much beyond terrible SJW crap.  Nobody can tell me that a book like Border Town needed to be made.  Hex Wives had a very good concept, but it did not manage to pull it off.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, starri said:

Dan DiDio is out, effective immediately.  Given the speed at which it happened, something bad must have gone down.

Given that he kept his job after he not only protected a serial sexual harasser, he promoted him, it must have been particularly heinous.

Found this article about the firing:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02/25/att-and-warner-bros-the-real-driving-force-behind-dc-comics-5g/

I think a lot of it is hearsay, but this quote reminds me of a situation at my company.

So what about Dan DiDio and 5G? Well, I am told that at the beginning stages of 5G, Dan seemed to be less hands-on and everyone involved was convinced it wasn't going to become another New 52, where Dan had final say on everything (which is how it's been since then). When Dan leaked the unfinished timeline at NYCC, people started to get worried internally, and the last month especially has seen Dan returning to his trademark levels of micromanagement that's caused some to freak out. And that may have been the final straw regarding the charge of 'fostering a poor work environment' which led to his dismissal.

My company went through a merger a few years ago, and the new company had new (often better) ideas about how things should be done. A higher up felt that he could ignore those ideas. One Monday he was scheduling a meeting for the following week. That Friday we got an email advising us that he had 'retired'.

So, I'm thinking DiDio was in a similar situation. AT&T gave him a certain amount of time to change his management style. He didn't change, so he was gone.

Edited by Captain Carrot

On 7/6/2019 at 2:16 AM, BK1978 said:

I mean they have nobody to blame but themselves.  The last crop of Vertigo books were pretty much beyond terrible SJW crap.  Nobody can tell me that a book like Border Town needed to be made.  Hex Wives had a very good concept, but it did not manage to pull it off.