Type keyword(s) to search

DC Comics: Rebirth and Reboot

starri
  • Start Topic

Got through "The Lazarus Contract." I'll keep reading Deathstroke to see if Slade's "conversion" sticks, especially after the epilogue put out this week. One question: are all interpretations of Damien/Robin as obnoxious as the one in that crossover? My basic reaction boiled down to, "How is he not dead? Why hasn't somebody broken his neck? I mean, aside from his being trained as an assassin from Day One."

DC put a very sweet memorial page to Adam West in the back of all their comics this week.  With the lovely dedication "Thanks for being our first real hero, old chum..."

So, Bendis defected to DC today.

The man has written a lot of comics I have very much enjoyed (and plenty I haven't), but I can't imagine what he'd bring to the table at DC.  I don't blame him being burned out at Marvel, though.

4 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Can he retcon the entire universe then  blame it on Zatanna?

On erom snamuhateM.

Honestly, absent that, I think he would actually pair well with Zatanna.  Her solo series that was a casualty of New 52 was criminally underappreciated.

Except that even though I can't imagine why, I doubt DC backed up a dumptruck full of money to his house just for him to write for one of my favorite characters.  He has to be getting at least one of the Trinity.  King seems to have Batman locked down for now, so I just hope they keep him away from Wonder Woman.  I do legitimately like a lot of his stories, but I really don't like the idea of him and Diana together.

Didn't expect this to happen.  I wonder if it will be under the Vertigo banner again.  It just doesn't feel right to put Sandman-adjacent stories in DC-proper.  I guess we're at the point in the industry that people who were pre-teen and teens during the 90s are running things, so we're getting stuff we loved back then back.

Sandman Mystery Theatre, come on.

(edited)

Wow. Gaiman isn’t directly writing, though, right? “Here are my plots, lads. Drop a line if you need anything. I’m going to meet Starz about how the second season of American Gods can be even more insane. I am in competition with Garth Ennis, after all.”

Edited by Lantern7
1 hour ago, Twilight Man said:

It looks like Linkara will be saying "It's Miller Time!!!" for several more years to come.

I wonder if any of those include finishing All-Star Batman.

Action 1000 includes a story where

Spoiler

Billions of years later, Superman returns to a dead Earth orbiting Sol, which has entered the red giant phase of its star lifecycle.

... why isn't he depowered under a red sun though????????!???!?!

50 minutes ago, arc said:

Action 1000 includes a story where

Hide contents

Billions of years later, Superman returns to a dead Earth orbiting Sol, which has entered the red giant phase of its star lifecycle.

... why isn't he depowered under a red sun though????????!???!?!

I'm not up on my latest lore, but IIRC

Spoiler

he can store power for later, kind of like a battery. Maybe he's recently been under a yellow sun?

As I vaguely understand it, the lore is 

Spoiler

he can store power -- this is how he can operate at night and otherwise out of direct sunlight -- but the light from any red sun instantly deactivates his superpowers, regardless of stored solar energy. Essentially, the battery still has juice but the circuit can't be closed.

On the other hand, I think there's some other lore (DC 1 Million?) that an immensely older Superman will develop a host of new powers so <shrug>. But I would have preferred some mention of that or else just a solar suit like what he wore in All-Star Superman. After all, in DC 1 Million, he'd turned golden.

3 hours ago, arc said:

As I vaguely understand it, the lore is 

Hide contents

he can store power -- this is how he can operate at night and otherwise out of direct sunlight -- but the light from any red sun instantly deactivates his superpowers, regardless of stored solar energy. Essentially, the battery still has juice but the circuit can't be closed.

On the other hand, I think there's some other lore (DC 1 Million?) that an immensely older Superman will develop a host of new powers so <shrug>. But I would have preferred some mention of that or else just a solar suit like what he wore in All-Star Superman. After all, in DC 1 Million, he'd turned golden.

Yeah.

Spoiler

He has long enough to develop a counter. Even these days I'm sure there are enough science types in the DCU to have a stab at it.

So many awesome memories with Vertigo Comics. Sandman, Books of Magic, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, 100 Bullets, Fables, Lucifer, Unwritten, Y the Last Man. That was my list. Someone else could have an entirely different list of titles that moved them. 

Real life tidbit: I’m a playwright who has written sci-fi based plays with some success. If I had to accurately describe my aesthetic, it’d be “plays that are secretly Backdoor Vertigo proposals.” I did in fact send in a proposal for a Books of Magic spinoff some two decades ago. As I didn’t have a clue what I was doing it was rightfully ignored. 

• Love 1

I mean they have nobody to blame but themselves.  The last crop of Vertigo books were pretty much beyond terrible SJW crap.  Nobody can tell me that a book like Border Town needed to be made.  Hex Wives had a very good concept, but it did not manage to pull it off.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, starri said:

Dan DiDio is out, effective immediately.  Given the speed at which it happened, something bad must have gone down.

Given that he kept his job after he not only protected a serial sexual harasser, he promoted him, it must have been particularly heinous.

Found this article about the firing:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02/25/att-and-warner-bros-the-real-driving-force-behind-dc-comics-5g/

I think a lot of it is hearsay, but this quote reminds me of a situation at my company.

So what about Dan DiDio and 5G? Well, I am told that at the beginning stages of 5G, Dan seemed to be less hands-on and everyone involved was convinced it wasn't going to become another New 52, where Dan had final say on everything (which is how it's been since then). When Dan leaked the unfinished timeline at NYCC, people started to get worried internally, and the last month especially has seen Dan returning to his trademark levels of micromanagement that's caused some to freak out. And that may have been the final straw regarding the charge of 'fostering a poor work environment' which led to his dismissal.

My company went through a merger a few years ago, and the new company had new (often better) ideas about how things should be done. A higher up felt that he could ignore those ideas. One Monday he was scheduling a meeting for the following week. That Friday we got an email advising us that he had 'retired'.

So, I'm thinking DiDio was in a similar situation. AT&T gave him a certain amount of time to change his management style. He didn't change, so he was gone.

Edited by Captain Carrot
On 7/6/2019 at 2:16 AM, BK1978 said:

I mean they have nobody to blame but themselves.  The last crop of Vertigo books were pretty much beyond terrible SJW crap.  Nobody can tell me that a book like Border Town needed to be made.  Hex Wives had a very good concept, but it did not manage to pull it off.

14 minutes ago, starri said:

I hope everyone enjoyed the 86 years we had DC Comics, because this interview with Jim Lee sure makes it seem they're going to be killing off anything that isn't Batman.

Also, remember that time Jim Lee lead an exodus from Marvel because of how they treated creators?

I bet he remembers it too. There could be another shakeup within the next few months. Maybe Image will get a boost, or one of the other indies.

I'm not really a DC fan, but I'm sad to see this happening. They essentially invented superheroes in the modern sense. By all accounts, Javins especially has her head on straight. Unlike some who've worked there until recently. I doubt the surprisingly well-named Bob Harras will be made welcome.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:49 PM, starri said:

I hope everyone enjoyed the 86 years we had DC Comics, because this interview with Jim Lee sure makes it seem they're going to be killing off anything that isn't Batman.

Also, remember that time Jim Lee lead an exodus from Marvel because of how they treated creators?

As a DC fan I hate to say this but what do you expect?  If nothing but Batman is selling then of course they are going to cancel low selling books, it is not a charity.  This is coming from someone who loved the new Hellblazer and Justice Leauge Odyssey, both of which were cancelled. 

This is not poor treatment of creators either.  I would argue that DC did more for their creators as they were still putting out books while the rest of the industry shut down. 

Can anyone explain to me what exactly is happening right now?

None of what's been going on since DiDio was fired has made a lick of sense to me.  I know he was plotting another company-wide reboot (what, his third during his tenure?  Fourth?), and that got canceled--with the Free Comic Book Day introduction actually pulped.  Then we got Dark Nights: Death Metal, which seemed to reboot things anyway.  I figured Future State was just the remnants of 5G, but now the new Wonder Woman is also in solicits for March.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:31 AM, starri said:

Can anyone explain to me what exactly is happening right now?

None of what's been going on since DiDio was fired has made a lick of sense to me.  I know he was plotting another company-wide reboot (what, his third during his tenure?  Fourth?), and that got canceled--with the Free Comic Book Day introduction actually pulped.  Then we got Dark Nights: Death Metal, which seemed to reboot things anyway.  I figured Future State was just the remnants of 5G, but now the new Wonder Woman is also in solicits for March.

Future State sounds like a hot mess to me.  Starting from this standpoint of a non-reboot reboot, or whatever the excuse is for why people remember all kinds of random shit, and everything matters, except where nothing matters, and there's all this stuff in the future, which rest assured will be filled with character-destroying garbage, which will no doubt eventually get undone, except if everything matters, then it won't ever be completely undone, until some future event where despite that, it actually IS totally undone, because they've changed their minds again.

Some day, eventually, there's going to be a series of longform pieces about DiDio's tenure at DC, and I can't wait to read them.

Jim Lee, while a better steward than DiDio, is also a perfect example of why 90s nostalgia is dangerous.

20 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Future State sounds like a hot mess to me. 

I can't even figure out what it's supposed to be.  I mean, I thought the idea was "The DCU Ten Years into the Future" which I guess it is...except in those books where it isn't.  And I don't know if any of this stuff matters.

And let's not forget them taking yet another opportunity to shit all over Wally West.

At this point, I try not to think about DC's need to reinvent the wheel every five years or so. I just get the blank covers and move on with my life. The only thing that looks interesting to me is Mark Russell's "Superman vs. Lex Luthor" bit, and I'll wait for that to get collected. Related note: Wonder Twins? Lots of satirical fun. Ditto for Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen from Matt Fraction and Steve Lieber.

I've been trying to read explainers about Infinite Frontier, and I think I'm even more confused.  OTOH, one of their preview images for the Bat books has Cassie as Batgirl and Barbara as Oracle, so I'm in favor of that, at least.

Now some of the Future State books I liked (Aquaman, Justice League, Immortal Wonder Woman, Next Batman); are they going to go on or is DC going to continuously murder the continuity fairy? 

I've been on a nostalgia kick and re-collecting comics I had when I was younger before my mother made me get rid of them.  I can get Marvel and Indie comics series pretty easily, but DC is vexing me.  The books I liked got cancelled immediately and the reboots have such heinous art work that I can't get into the story. 

15 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Now some of the Future State books I liked (Aquaman, Justice League, Immortal Wonder Woman, Next Batman); are they going to go on or is DC going to continuously murder the continuity fairy? 

Next Batman is getting another miniseries.  And I believe Nubia may actually be the star of the latest volume of Wonder Woman.

• Love 1

So Infinite Frontier #0, allowing us 2-3 page quick hits on some of the things in the pipe.  Basically, it's frame story of the Spectre showing Diana a bunch of previews of stories from across the...I'm not sure.  All these all on the same Earth?  Who knows.  I'm actually more into it that I thought I would have been.  It's certainly more positive (unless you're a fan of Jonathan Kent) that I was expecting.  Although Black Adam is apparently being called Shazadam, which...no.  No to the power of no.

Highlights include:

• Barbara and Helena both discussing how they feel like they should remember something to do with "birds" as Barbara says while she's not hung her cape up permanently, she feels she can help more people as Oracle. 
  • Hippolyta has assumed the role of Wonder Woman in Diana's absence, and left Nubia as the Queen of the Amazons.  I'm of mixed feelings about that.  I loved John Byrne declaring that she'd been the Golden Age Wonder Woman, but I was hoping it would go to Nubia.
  • In a surprising holdover from the New 52, the classic version of Alan Scott comes out of the closet to his kids.
  • Quick teaser images of Ted Kord and Booster Gold and a GL squad made of Kyle, Hal, Jessica, and Guy.
  • Post-coital Dinah and Oliver.
  • And...WALLY IS THE FLASH AGAIN!!!!!!
On 3/5/2021 at 10:11 AM, starri said:
  • Barbara and Helena both discussing how they feel like they should remember something to do with "birds" as Barbara says while she's not hung her cape up permanently, she feels she can help more people as Oracle. 
  • Hippolyta has assumed the role of Wonder Woman in Diana's absence, and left Nubia as the Queen of the Amazons.  I'm of mixed feelings about that.  I loved John Byrne declaring that she'd been the Golden Age Wonder Woman, but I was hoping it would go to Nubia.
  • In a surprising holdover from the New 52, the classic version of Alan Scott comes out of the closet to his kids.
  • Quick teaser images of Ted Kord and Booster Gold and a GL squad made of Kyle, Hal, Jessica, and Guy.
  • Post-coital Dinah and Oliver.
  • And...WALLY IS THE FLASH AGAIN!!!!!!

I have to admit I stopped reading DC after New 52 since they got rid of everything I liked. (DC was great in the 90's, why did they try to erase everything that happened in that decade)!

That decision was good for my wallet, but based on your post I might have to check out some DC books.

They (and Marvel) are also doing a huge Pride celebration in June, and both are doing a big book with multiple stories about queer characters, by queer writers and artists.  One of them is the Renee Montoya Question, and if there was ever a character that was done dirty by constant editorial meddling...

Unfortunately, Infinite Frontier Renee is now Commissioner Montoya, so I'm going to be waiting forever to get a real story.

• Love 1

They either should have gone for Damian and Jon or Tim and Connor, instead of mixing it like this.

I think it's great, and there should be more bi representation. But it's like they're purposefully teasing the shippers by giving them one half of the couples people want to see.

I swear I came across a panel where Superman (Jon Kent) and Damian were boyfriends, so it's weird that this is news. Or was that like an Elseworlds/other Earth situation where it doesn't really count?

18 hours ago, Trini said:

I swear I came across a panel where Superman (Jon Kent) and Damian were boyfriends, so it's weird that this is news. Or was that like an Elseworlds/other Earth situation where it doesn't really count?

Maybe fanart? They have a lot of shippers, but I was not aware of any elseworlds story with them together.

Anyway, one member of Batfamily and one of Supe's family is still pretty huge.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Maybe fanart? They have a lot of shippers, but I was not aware of any elseworlds story with them together.

Maybe it was. It looked like a real comic panel, but I don't know where I saw it, and I can't find it again.

So the Robins miniseries that won the fan vote (totally rigged) has started dropping.  It opened with Dick, Jason, Tim, Stephanie, and Damian talking about their feelings about being Robin.

Now, I appreciate them acknowledging Stephanie, but she talked about how she wondered if her brief tenure as Robin was her being an athlete who peaked in High School.  But like, doesn't she remember that time she was Batgirl and was really good at it?

I finally got around to reading the issue of Son of Kal-El where Jon and his new beau make it official.  In true Kent-family fashion, the boyfriend, Jay, is also a journalist.

If they'd wanted to make me even more predisposed to like it, naming the issue "Who's Got You?" after the best scene in Superman: The Movie was the way to do it.  Hat tip to Tom Taylor.  This really doesn't feel like tokenism.

Tom Taylor also gave us the on-panel queer Wonder Woman in the current Elseworlds Dark Knights of Steel.  I mean, Diana's been openly bi since Rebirth, but this is the first time they've ever had her with a woman on-panel, and she's in a relationship in that particular universe's version of Supergirl.

• Useful 1