Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: A Good Treason

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Entry to Valhalla eludes Ragnar, but as he lies in his sick bed in Kattegat events unfold beyond his control. Bjorn orders the arrest of Floki for Athelstan's murder while in Paris, Rollo betrays the last of his Viking supporters to strengthen his position in the French court. In Hedeby, Kalf announces joint earldom with Lagertha, but is power sharing Kalf's true intention and is Lagertha actually willing to share what once was hers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFUvAd_IvQ

• Love 2

I loved seeing Ivar in his little wagon and his growl at Bjorn!  So adorable.

Exactly how much time has passed since Paris?  I didn't get how Ragnar was in bed, but Bjorn seemed to visit him for the first time.

I was hoping that they kill Floki this episode, too bad. 

I forgot how built Rollo is, but that was negated by his slaughter of his people in the camp.

I know why Aslaug would be pissed at Ragnar, but why is she hostile against Bjorn?  The season's preview looked great, looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Love 4

Aslaug wants to rule and doesn't need Ragnar.  Her reference to her father and grandfather betrayed what she really was after.  I would guess Bjorn will be back in  the Spring to challenge her if Ragnor doesn't make it.

• Love 1

Like you wouldn't run all your issues by a free psychic, too.

http://previously.tv/vikings/ask-vikings-super-creepy-seer-with-no-apparent-eyeballs/"> Read the story

Hilarious! I mean, seriously. Who wouldn't hop into the sack with Rollo? You wouldn't have to ask me twice.

I thought this was a solid episode to set up the rest of the season. Were the Vikings in Paris for several years? It seems like we've undergone another big time jump given that Bjorn's daughter and Ivar are significantly older.

For some reason I'm not as into Paris as I am Wessex. I miss my Ecbert.

I knew the Viking camp was D.O.A. once they sent their rep to complain to Rollo.

Regarding the slaves brought from France, was there that much ethnic diversity in Paris in the 900's? The Asian girl kind of threw me for a loop.

• Love 4

So glad this show is back!

I think the reason Aslaug doesn't like Bjorn is because she hopes he dies so her oldest son will inherit the throne after Ragnar.

I was disappointed Bjorn's wife, or was she just his baby Mama, took off. I was hoping she'd accept her scar and fight along side Bjorn.

Enjoyed seeing Rollo shirtless but was disappointed he had his people slaughtered like that.

That was a good hour of TV.  Welcome back VIKINGS!  Life is good again.

Ragnar lives and has a wondering eye already.  It looked like the French Princess wasn't thrilled about her marriage to Rollo and refused her hunk of burning tattooed Viking love.  Lagertha proves again that she is good with a knife.  You go girl!  Vikings definitely do not take kindly to treason and Rollo is now French.  So much more but a great start.

• Love 6

Excellent start to my favorite series. Even my husband stays up an extra hour to watch Vikings, we've been hooked since first season. And he hates TV. 

Bjorn's baby-mama walked away in the second last episode of last year, I think--it just showed her walking up in the mountains away from Katecut-- just a quick show of her face and away she went, hood up.

I'm glad they've written Ivar in with his little pre-wheelchair, as he does have a part to play in history. Happy, happy that this show is back on--Not impressed with Rollo's behavior, but that's Rollo, he is gorgeous and treasonous. I'm ok with that, long as he takes off his shirt. 

• Love 6

Gisela and Rollo are hilariously both bewildered and intrigued by each other. Those two are going to make a hell of a power couple once they actually figure out how to talk to each other.

Welp, I don't think Lagertha and Kalf trust each other even a tiny bit, but clearly they know exactly how to turn each other on.

Ragnar loves Rollo, and Ragnar knows Rollo. He knows that Rollo will make a grab for power the first chance he gets.

• Love 5

Vikings is back and it all about those ambushes!  I thought Kalf setting up the anti-Lagertha gang for some killing was something, but then Rollo just drops everyone of his former men, for daring to question him being down with the French.  A lot of crossbow shooting in this one!

Ragnar is still alive, but still limping along.  Aslaug clearly isn't happy about this.  She totally wants the power for herself and herself alone, so I wonder if she is actually going to try anything.  She did get The Seer to admit that a woman will rule at one point, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will end up being her.

Yep, Ragnar is already eyeing this new girl that I guess Aslaug bought.

After everything that has happened, I guess I can't really blame Bjorn to just take a break from everything and go live in the wilderness for a bit.

Why do I have a feeling Floki will somehow worm his way of his current situation?  At least Ragnar called him out for basically killing Athlestan because he was jealous, and all the "Gods made me do it!" excuses is just his bullshit.

• Love 5

So glad this show is back.  I thought it was great last night!

Ragnar is still a mess and I wonder how this will play out the rest of the season.  Fimmel continues to prove that his non-verbal acting is second to none.  Just watching him react to Bjorn's news about Floki was brilliant.  Ragnar can be an asshat and completely contradictory (I love how upset he got when Aslaug said that about Bjorn) but that's all part of what makes his character so great.  Once he's back in the picture, this show truly becomes Vikings.

Ubbe: "You're awake!  Ragnar: "Nothing gets past you, Ubbe."

And THAT'S what happens when you try to get rid of Lagertha!

I felt bad for Floki for a moment when he was getting crap thrown on him.  But then I remember all the shitty things he's done over the seasons, like how he slowly tortured that priest during a raid in Season 2 or 3.  So if anyone was as deserving of this treatment, it's Floki.

I'm glad that Rollo has finally learned that no means no.  Note to his buddy...if you're going to tell Rollo that half his men want to betray him, you better come ready to do the job yourself.  Still though, that was pretty cold.  Nobody comes close to Fimmel's non-verbal acting but Clive Standen really sold the scene with Rollo's silence.

Aslaug is back to Asslog this season.

Looking forward to Bjorn's storyline this season.

• Love 3

Ragnar is still a mess and I wonder how this will play out the rest of the season.  Fimmel continues to prove that his non-verbal acting is second to none.  Just watching him react to Bjorn's news about Floki was brilliant.  Ragnar can be an asshat and completely contradictory (I love how upset he got when Aslaug said that about Bjorn) but that's all part of what makes his character so great.  Once he's back in the picture, this show truly becomes Vikings.

I could watch an hour of Ragnar observing what everyone else is doing.

There was some awesome cinematography in this episode, from the first scene showing Ragnar riding his horse in his Valhalla dream, to the sweeping shot over the water and ships to the village.  

• Love 12

Just a thought: I'm wondering how Rollo was able to convey to the French soldiers that he wanted them to slaughter the people at the camp when the interpreter had already left. Or was there more than one interpreter? I forget.

• Love 2

[stefon] This show has it all! Shield Walls! Lagertha cutting off dicks! Ragnar wrapped in fur! Floki's eyeliner! Shirtless Rollo! Valhalla! And that thing where you take your enemies' treasure and weapons and become master of it all! [/stefon]

• Love 6

I'm so chuffed that this show is back!  It's my crack.  Loved Ragnar watching everyone and storing up thoughts and ideas.  Loved watching Floki get things thrown at him.  Loved shirtless Rollo just walking around.  Loved watching Lagertha cutting dicks off dicks.  I can't wait until next week!

• Love 2

I think the reason Aslaug doesn't like Bjorn is because she hopes he dies so her oldest son will inherit the throne after Ragnar.

I think it's partly that, but mostly because of his lack of interest in his own daughter. One of Aslaug's defining characteristics is her love for her children. She wouldn't let anyone mercy kill Ivar, and she's the nicest to Ragnar when he's being sweet with the boys. She seemed happy (or at least neutral) to see Bjorn and show him his daughter, but when he didn't try to hold her and was more interested in learning what happened to the mom (can't remember her name), Aslaug's whole demeanor changed and she snapped at him that they would keep taking care of his child.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Not cool what you did Rollo.  That was kinda like killing off your 'hood relatives because you moved into an upscale neighborhood.

On the other hand, that the Vikings didn't see Rollo's move coming? They totally should have. It's not like Rollo's the Spanish Inquisition (which, as we know, nobody expects!).

• Love 5

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice Princess Gisela's new puffy face??;)

I thought something looked different about her but couldn't put my finger on it. She must have had work done in the offseason. I honestly don't think she's all that attractive, but I guess you can't have everyone on the cast be smoking hot.

• Love 4

Gisela and Rollo are hilariously both bewildered and intrigued by each other. Those two are going to make a hell of a power couple once they actually figure out how to talk to each other.

Welp, I don't think Lagertha and Kalf trust each other even a tiny bit, but clearly they know exactly how to turn each other on.

Ragnar loves Rollo, and Ragnar knows Rollo. He knows that Rollo will make a grab for power the first chance he gets.

When Lagertha cast that glance in Kalf's direction after amputating Inar's penis--It's either a nod to Kalf, or it's a "Remember when I said I will kill you? It may look like this". 

She is a goddess to me. If I could just borrow a little of her personal power, I could get some shit done! (Of the non-amputating kind)

• Love 10

On a whim I watched the first 3 seasons of Vikings on Prime. I actually finished over the weekend so I only had to wait a couple days for the season 4 premier.

I am not sure what to think about Rollo. He has always been in the shadow of his brother and that shadow grows larger by the day. This was probably his last move to get out from under it.....and yet to do that he had to betray everything he ever was. I am curious how it works out for him. I do give him props for not forcing himself on his new bride. That is going to be an interesting relationship.

I am in the minority who never liked Floki. The actor who plays him is fantastic but the character has done nothing for me. Athelstan on the other hand I always liked. I also enjoyed the Ragnar/Athelstan friendship.

I am also not sure what to make of Bjorn. I am not sure what his actual motivations are. Speaking of when Aslaug went to see the blind seer who told her a woman would take the thrown, could that woman be Bjorn's daughter?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

I can't post links on my phone, but the Vikings FB page has a behind the scenes look at Katheryn Winnick doing stunt training for the show. She's a total bad ass and stunningly gorgeous without makeup.

Regarding the Seer's vision of a female ruler, I think Aslaug's hoping it's her, but I bet it will end up being Laegertha. Those two are long overdue for an epic showdown.

I don't care for Floki either. I like the actor who portrays him, but the character is such a one-trick pony. Athelstan was much more complex and interesting. They killed him off way too quickly.

• Love 5

Rollo and the crazy princess in bed was the highlight of the episode. He's all "I'm going to sleep, bye". Girl, your husband is hot, get it! My panties would have dropped as soon as he took off his shirt.

Oh Aslaug, what are you doing?

Lagertha continues to be amazing! I absolutely love her

• Love 3

I'm surprised Asslog hasn't already smothered Ragnor with a pillow!

My girl crush Lagertha is back,badass, and gorgeous! :-) I am surprised that Horick's son turned on Einer.

I knew Rollo was going to do that. Bastard! But he took his shirt off...

I miss Eckbert.

I've never liked Floki. The little girl playing his daughter was a doll.

So glad Vikings is back!

• Love 4

Love love love this show.  This is how characters are written (I'm talking to you Walking Dead).  Agree with everyone about Ragnar's non-verbal and facial expressions.  I wonder what Ragnar would have done if Bjorn hadn't arrested Floki?

• Love 4

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice Princess Gisela's new puffy face??;)

I thought it was supposed to be puffy from her crying about marrying Rollo, but I'll have to go back and look.  I was curious- after he went to sleep, did she just put down the knife and go to sleep next to him?

And Rollo...just when I thought he was going to be a decent human being, he went and killed off his own people.  Silly me for believing.  

• Love 2

Ubbe: "You're awake!  Ragnar: "Nothing gets past you, Ubbe."

I liked:

Ragnar (to Ubbe): Do you want to be King one day?  Ubbe: Yes  Ragnar: Then go get me some meade

The foreplay between Kalf and Lagertha is interesting.

Edited by SingleMaltBlonde
  • Love 5

Asslug pisses me off to no end. She wants to be ruler? Bitch, please... The only reason she has any power at all is because she's Ragner's wife and popped out a few kids for him. She never proved any real leadership abilities and the one time she really needed to (back when Kattegat was invade and she was driven into hiding), she was absolutely useless and was too busy whining over their hiding place being dirty. Sure, she can run things when Ragner is out raiding, but if there is any real power play against her, she'd fold like an old card table. She's not a warrior, she can't plan raids or lead warriors in battle. And given that none of her children are of age and earned their stripes as warriors, they'd be no use in cementing power. Vikings have no use for useless rulers and she would quickly be deposed in favor of someone who can actually lead.

If there is going to be a female ruler of Kattegat, then there is only one realistic candidate and she proved yet again why you Don't. Fuck. With. Lagertha. Ever. Einer is going to be the dickless laughing stock in Hel's realm now (because there's no way that coward would ever get close to being in Valhalla). Kalf was smart to keep her close because she is a very, very dangerous enemy to have. No man who fucked her over came out on top in the end.

I love Floki, but I can't feel badly for him. Athelstan may be long dead, but his influence is still felt far beyond the grave. I'm sure that Ragner would have preferred to deal with him quietly (since Athelstan was still not entirely accepted and punishing a Viking for killing a Christian probably won't sit well with everyone), but now Bjorn forced Ragner to deal with him in full view of the whole community. If he doesn't kill Floki, Ragner will appear weak which would endanger his grip on power. But killing Floki over a Christian monk will also cause conflict and endanger Ragner's leadership. It would have been much easier of Ragner could have just arranged for Floki to meet an unfortunate shipbuilding "accident".

Rollo and the princess need their own sitcom.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 11

I can't post links on my phone, but the Vikings FB page has a behind the scenes look at Katheryn Winnick doing stunt training for the show. She's a total bad ass and stunningly gorgeous without makeup.

Katheryn Winnick had her first black belt in junior high, has extensive martial arts training and ran multiple schools training in martial arts. She's pretty bad ass in her own right.

• Love 9

Even though I want the series to continue after Ragnar's death, he's probably the best-cast character on Vikings. I can imagine the others being played by different actors, but Ragnar gives this show a feel of its own. He's always thinking and ahead of the rest, and at the same time somehow alien, like an outsider even to his own people and not just the modern audience.

It's a shame Gisla isn't played by a different actress, though. There have been some rather dull characters in the past, but she's probably the first who makes me feel she really brings the story down with amateurish acting that makes a joke of what's a serious, unhappy situation for a woman forced into marriage. Rollo is going to have a big role, so it's a pity Gisla wasn't recast like the first Judith.

Loved the crossbows. The show sold how dangerous the weapon was.

• Love 2

Katheryn Winnick had her first black belt in junior high, has extensive martial arts training and ran multiple schools training in martial arts. She's pretty bad ass in her own right.

KW has two black belts in different styles. She is one tough woman.

• Love 2

Even though I want the series to continue after Ragnar's death, he's probably the best-cast character on Vikings. I can imagine the others being played by different actors, but Ragnar gives this show a feel of its own. He's always thinking and ahead of the rest, and at the same time somehow alien, like an outsider even to his own people and not just the modern audience.

It's a shame Gisla isn't played by a different actress, though. There have been some rather dull characters in the past, but she's probably the first who makes me feel she really brings the story down with amateurish acting that makes a joke of what's a serious, unhappy situation for a woman forced into marriage. Rollo is going to have a big role, so it's a pity Gisla wasn't recast like the first Judith.

Loved the crossbows. The show sold how dangerous the weapon was.

Yeah, as good as the cast is, I don't think this show could go on without Travis Fimmel as Ragnar.  He truly brings that much to the role and the show.

• Love 3