Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Beyond Therapy

Ugh, go away, Cheryl Sussman!

I am fine with the way this episode ended. Josh shouldn't have to keep lying to people (whether they're his friends, Liza's friends/family, or strangers like Greta) because of the choices that Liza has made and the lies that she has told. And he certainly shouldn't have to put up with being yelled at because Kelsey thinks he is being a shady horribly boyfriend due to that article.

Kelsey, on the other hand, is an idiot. She finally got away from Thad and then she went right back to him as soon as he made one gesture. Does that engagement ring mean he is going to stop apologizing with pole dancing Bit Strips? Or thinking that having a threesome is a birthday present that she really wants? Or asking if she's "ragging it" because she's fed up with him being an immature dick?

• Love 7

What a depressing episode. I was glad when Kelsey walked out on douchebag while she had the common sense to see him for what he really is. The fact that she'd take him back so soon without letting him prove he's changed just because he proposed, makes it seem as if she only dumped him because she wanted a ring (which she's never been fussed about until now). I guess they had to show how much pressure older 20 somethings face when they're at a stage of being successful but also needing to prove they're a "woman" by including marriage or kids before 30. If the sneek peek trailer was anything to go by, I'm not looking forward to seeing more of Thad as I sense a blackmail situation coming into the mix.

As for Liza, it's one of the few times I've felt sorry for Josh becoming collateral damage to her lies. If she was hiding her age just from him, I could see them working it out but she's made it clear that her job and friends are more important than a relationship and that's fine. But you can't have it all, the price of success comes at a cost.

• Love 6

I know! I was so happy that Kelsey FINALLY saw what an annoying douchebag her boyfriend is and wasn't going to put up with it anymore. As cruel as she was to Josh without even giving him the opportunity to get a word in edgewise, I felt like a lot of what she was saying to him was really about her frustration with Thad ("she deserves better than you").

I have seen so many girls (as young as high school) and women stay with guys for years when everyone else can see that these women can do better and it's so frustrating. Whenever one of them finally wakes up and realizes she deserves better, it always makes me want to cheer (better late than never!). I was thrilled that Kelsey finally got off the douchebro train and wanted someone better. Too bad that only lasted 24 hours.

She never seemed overly eager to get married (unlike some girls who obsess about it and talk about it with everyone and hint at it with their boyfriends every chance they get) so I feel like maybe she got swept up in the moment. Or maybe she was just way too drunk. Whatever it is, I hope the engagement doesn't last. Not only is Thad an ass on his own, but he is not a good boyfriend. Kelsey is a smart, successful, motivated woman and she can do way better than Thad.

• Love 1

Ugh. I really wish Kelsey could truly see what a disaster being married to Thad would be. He's a finance douchebro. They aren't even living together after dating for 2 years though they could clearly afford to get a place with their combined salaries. I'd say he's cartoonishly insensitive, but I've met guys like him and this is pretty accurate. Run!

I think the T article really forced Josh to be introspective about his relationship with Liza. He's really pretty serious about her and she's willing to let her lie about her age trump the seriousness of his feelings for her.

Edited by HunterHunted

OK, that was not advice that particular psychiatrist would have _ever_ given a young woman of 27, when you consider that she just wrote an entire book about trying to get millennials to do what Kelsey's actually doing. And Kelsey freaking out about her barren single life at 27 when she just started her own imprint is bluntly ridiculous. She's actually had the conversation about marriage with Liza, and she sees it happening about 30, and she sees it as the _end of her life_. And what a remarkable coincidence that douchebro, who would have discarded her like last night's condom under any other circumstances, happened to have gotten the approval of the one person whose approval he cravenly cares about by introducing him to the girlfriend whose ass he's trying to peddle to random coworkers (like that wouldn't get his ass fired).

Good for Liza, getting herself out of trouble by telling the truth for once, and good for the shrink (was that Cammryn Mannheim?) backing her.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

I felt bad for Josh after Kelsey's tirade. He genuinely wanted to include Liza in his life, the real Liza. He wanted to be involved in Liza's real life as well. It broke my heart when he said "I wish I could kiss you..." during that break from the shoot. He wanted her to share in his success and vice versa. He may have acted immature at times, but it's refreshing to see a 26-year old portrayed in TV as wanting a genuine human connection with someone he loves, and not just as a booty call.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 6

"Don't blame Josh; I asked him to leave me out of it" seems like it would have saved Josh (plus it's true!). Liza still would have had to answer some questions from Kelsey and Lauren, but that's the way it goes.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 7

I enjoyed the episode.  I've really wondered how Liza was going to make this situation with Josh work, and it's good to see all the issues come to the forefront.  I think what amazes me most is just how delusional Liza really is about her lies, and the fantasy she clings to where she's going to be too valuable at work to fire.  I just want someone to be like: "Liza, even if you aren't fired, you are going to lose your friends and no one is going to trust you."   

• Love 5

"Don't blame Josh; I asked him to leave me out of it" seems like it would have saved Josh (plus it's true!). Liza still would have had to answer some questions from Kelsey and Lauren, but that's the way it goes.

I think Liza was saying something to that point, before Josh arrived. But newly empowered and drunken Kelsey wasn't having any of it, and Lauren egging Kelsey on didn't help either. Kelsey wasn't even listening to anyone, she just went on and on with her rant.

• Love 2

Good for Liza, getting herself out of trouble by telling the truth for once, and good for the shrink (was that Camryn Mannheim?) backing her.

Yes -- I was glad to see her, and see her play a really smart woman (not just some pretentious expert, like Mr Feminist Break-a-dick) who -- even though she clearly turned the situation to her benefit -- wasn't about to get roped in by a blackmailer.

Augh, Kelsey! that wasn't your lecture to give!  So obviously a screaming fit meant for Thad; Josh (and Liza) didn't deserve it.  Part of me, though, felt manipulated: Let's get Sutton to see other men!  

And just when I was beginning to enjoy Josh.  I hate that her bitch Jersey friend was proved right this soon.

I don't think that Liza's bitchy New Jersey friend was proved right. Josh does want to double down with Liza, but Liza is too invested in her lie. Liza's friend was convinced that Josh isn't the guy to get serious with, but maybe he is or would be if Liza really gave the relationship a half chance by being honest.

• Love 1

I think the Jersey friend was 100% off. Josh wanted to fully commit. It was Liza who is living her 20 something double life that is causing all the problems. Poor Josh. I am sad to see him go, but its probably for the best. They could only keep this up for so long, after all, especially if Josh starts getting more media and press notice. 

I hope Liza tells Kelsey that she asked Josh to keep her out of the article, and I hope Kelsey feels sufficiently bad about going off on Josh without hearing the hole story. Of course, Liza just stood there and let Kelsey tear into him, which is one of the reasons, I think, Josh left. The lie made it impossible (apparently) even to have his girlfriend stand up for him.  

• Love 1

I agree - even though Liza did make a half-assed attempt to defend Josh by saying, "No, it's okay, it's not a big deal," all she really had to do was tell Kelsey that she specifically told Josh that she didn't want to be mentioned or included in the article in any way. That one sentence would have taken just as long and would have put it all squarely on her. She could have explained that when Kelsey and Lauren showed her the article before Josh arrived. She could have said it after Josh arrived and after Kelsey ripped into Josh. But instead, Liza did nothing to set the record straight and essentially hung Josh out to dry.

Kelsey was trying to be a good friend based on the information she had (fueled by alcohol and projecting her Thad issues) but Liza was being a terrible girlfriend. I would never let Mr. EB get yelled at for something that he didn't actually do, and I would never let my friends think that he was being a jerk when the truth was that he was just doing exactly what I asked him to do. Liza could have said that she wanted the article to focus on his art, not his relationship with her. She could have said that she's shy and she didn't want her picture in the magazine. She could have said that she didn't want to take away from the article drawing attention to Josh's work. She could have said that it's just good PR for him to be single (it wouldn't be the first time that someone pretended to be single in the press to attract more fans - I remember how long the PR people insisted that James Marsters say he was single while he was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer). She could have said lots of things to take the blame from Josh but instead she did absolutely nothing. Josh was kind enough not to expose any of her leis in order to defend himself. He didn't even give the simplest explanation, which was that he wanted her to be part of the article and she said no.

• Love 7
I think the Jersey friend was 100% off. Josh wanted to fully commit. It was Liza who is living her 20 something double life that is causing all the problems. Poor Josh. I am sad to see him go, but its probably for the best. They could only keep this up for so long, after all, especially if Josh starts getting more media and press notice.

I think the friend could be right for the wrong reasons.  It's Liza's dishonesty that could end up permanently killing the relationship, not the age difference or other factors. 

Kelsey was trying to be a good friend based on the information she had (fueled by alcohol and projecting her Thad issues) but Liza was being a terrible girlfriend.

I honestly question whether Kelsey was trying to be a good friend.  I viewed it more as Kelsey simply working through her own issues, and using poor Josh as a conduit.  I thought she was way over the line to the point where she probably owed both Josh and Liza apologies (even if she didn't realize they had broken up). 

• Love 2

As I said earlier, I do think that Kelsey was projecting some of her issues with Thad onto Liza and Josh, but I also think that she was sincerely offended on Liza's behalf that Josh came off as not wanting to admit he had a girlfriend in the article. I know that if someone did that to one of my friends, I would get at least a little bit fired up about it. The difference is that I wouldn't get drunk and yell at them about it.

• Love 3

I too was surprised that Liza didn't have something already prepared ahead of time to explain to the girls why Josh doesn't mention her in the article.  I also don't know why Liza couldn't have Josh tell the author that he did have a girlfriend, but she's a very private person and didn't want to be named or discussed in the article.

I just want to laugh at how Olay had a commercial for their rejuvenating cream during this show.  Great marketing placement.  And yes, Liza needs to remember to moisturize her neck.  I look younger than my real age in most places, but my neck is where I do show my age.

I'm willing to give Thad the benefit of the doubt, if he did really read the book chapter, which it seemed he did.  We'll see how he acts from here on out.

Also, Kelsey should have known that Thad was a loser from the get go. The guys name is Thad! Its like an even douchier version of Chad! It sounds like the sweater wearing bad guy in every 80s teen movie. 

No offense to the Thads of the world (who I am sure exist...somewhere), I am sure that not all of you dress up like skeletons and chase poor kids around until they learn Karaoke. 

I do think Kelsey was trying to be a good friend, but she was REALLY off the mark. 

• Love 2

Liza did make a half-assed attempt to defend Josh by saying, "No, it's okay, it's not a big deal," all she really had to do was tell Kelsey that she specifically told Josh that she didn't want to be mentioned or included in the article in any way. That one sentence would have taken just as long and would have put it all squarely on her.

The problem is that Liza couldn't explain why she didn't want to be in the article. I'm sure Kelsey would have loved to have Liza name drop a mention the new imprint in the New York freakin' Times. I guess Liza couldn't come up with a plausible lie-- underscoring that she never really thought this plan through. Was she really going to simply re-live life from 26 on with no one getting wise? Her real mistake was in staying and Empirical. Once she had some work experience under her belt-- move on to another publisher as her real self.

But.. then there's no more show, so that's not gonna happen.

I liked this episode a lot. All along, I've felt like Liza is self-sabotaging her relationship with Josh, and it finally came back to bite her. I completely agree with the idea that Liza is more in love with her life than she is with Josh. I was also glad to see (unlike last episode) just Liza and Josh as a couple, self-destructing on their own merits, not because of someone else (i.e., Charles).

And I cheered so loudly when Camryn Manheim shot down that weaselly Cheryl what's-her-face.

• Love 1
Was she really going to simply re-live life from 26 on with no one getting wise? Her real mistake was in staying and Empirical. Once she had some work experience under her belt-- move on to another publisher as her real self.

Liza suggested her plan was to make herself indispensable at her job, and then do some kind of reveal, but I'm not sure if she really has thought it through. 

I agree - even though Liza did make a half-assed attempt to defend Josh by saying, "No, it's okay, it's not a big deal," all she really had to do was tell Kelsey that she specifically told Josh that she didn't want to be mentioned or included in the article in any way. That one sentence would have taken just as long and would have put it all squarely on her. She could have explained that when Kelsey and Lauren showed her the article before Josh arrived. She could have said it after Josh arrived and after Kelsey ripped into Josh. But instead, Liza did nothing to set the record straight and essentially hung Josh out to dry.

Kelsey was trying to be a good friend based on the information she had (fueled by alcohol and projecting her Thad issues) but Liza was being a terrible girlfriend. I would never let Mr. EB get yelled at for something that he didn't actually do, and I would never let my friends think that he was being a jerk when the truth was that he was just doing exactly what I asked him to do. Liza could have said that she wanted the article to focus on his art, not his relationship with her. She could have said that she's shy and she didn't want her picture in the magazine. She could have said that she didn't want to take away from the article drawing attention to Josh's work. She could have said that it's just good PR for him to be single (it wouldn't be the first time that someone pretended to be single in the press to attract more fans - I remember how long the PR people insisted that James Marsters say he was single while he was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer). She could have said lots of things to take the blame from Josh but instead she did absolutely nothing. Josh was kind enough not to expose any of her leis in order to defend himself. He didn't even give the simplest explanation, which was that he wanted her to be part of the article and she said no.

I agree completely. I actually yelled at my TV "don't just stand there looking stupid, defend Josh!!!!"

There are so many shows where the wife's friend or whoever constantly cuts the man down and the wife says nothing. If anybody said anything about my husband I would go the hell off.

My husband and I were at the grocery store years ago and some woman said we took her parking spot and started insulting my husband. I weigh about 99 pounds soaking wet and this woman was at least 300 pounds. I got into her face and dared her to insult him again.

I would never EVER stand for a friend doing it.

Every moment of Camryn Manheim was just magic. Perfect reactions. Perfect linereadings. I hope she stays around longer than the fashion blogger who didn't actually plan to write a book. This show gets such great guest stars, I wish they would keep them around. Bring back Ana Gasteyer!

As for the episode it was fine. I was mainly annoyed at the end. Yes, #TeamJosh. Why did Liza just stand there and let Kelsey berate him? She could have explained that she didn't want to be in the article or just cut her off. There's this weird thing in shows where girl squads kind of have this pack mentality to defend their friends and intercede when maybe they shouldn't that I've never experienced in my own life.

The proposal was nice but I'm not really seeing Kelsey and Thad as longterm given all the cheating and all the baggage they've got going on.

No offense to the Thads of the world (who I am sure exist...somewhere), I am sure that not all of you dress up like skeletons and chase poor kids around until they learn Karaoke.

I think you mean karate but now I want to see a parody movie where the villain is named Thad and the plot revolves around karaoke.