Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Episode 7

Connor Jessup and Eric Pollari for the win. I hope that the show and their respective teams go into overdrive come awards seasons, these young men are incredible actors. This season has been far superior to last season, and this is great ensemble, Lili Taylor, I have loved her style of acting since Say Anything, and she is solid in this role. The final scene in the diner was heartbreaking. 

This season has been beautifully crafted, it's nice to see something of this quality on a network. 

• Love 1

What an hour.  I had a feeling it was going to be a big episode due to the disclaimer before both the show and the final segment, and the fact that it was written and directed by Ridley (which hasn't been the case since the season premiere).  And when Taylor was sitting in the waiting room at the start of the final segment, I said aloud "are we really about to see a school shooting acted out on network television?"  That was a powerful hour.

Besides the great performances all around, Ridley really deserves the Emmy for direction on this episode.  I am continually amazed at the shots he gets, and how he does many shots in a single-take format.  The entire diner scene at the end I had to watch a second time because I was in awe of how he gets it in one take.  As a general style, I really like how instead of constant quick cuts, he just slowly pans the camera across rooms (another great example is when Taylor is searching for the gun in his relative's room).

But enough about direction, this was a great hour of tv.  I am very thankful ABC brought this show back for a second go-around.  Both this and Galavant.  With ABC getting a new president of programming just this past week, one has to wonder if shows with low ratings like these are going to get another shot.  Apparently the prior head of programming was eventually let go because he was too focused on serialized shows that don't perform well in syndication, where the network wants more procedural drek like the NCIS's and Chicago Random Professions currently dotting the TV landscape.

• Love 3

Yep, when he said his wife tells him that he's too trusting, I was like yes, listen to your wife. She seems like a smart woman, you've probably been married long enough...always listen to your wife. 

Too bad it may be too little to late like you said, since his daughter apparently is a drug dealer.This shouldn't surprise us though given her lack of understanding when it comes to the concept of "guilt."

Also, had it been  a more mature, introspective teenager, Taylor might have gotten that hug and comfort that he was seeking when he told her that he just needed to be with someone. 

Unfortunately, she didn't get it. She didn't have the capacity to understand that, he didn't want sex, he wanted a friend. He wanted that more than the drugs.

We've already seen that Becca lacks empathy--not surprising for someone her age.  

If I remember correctly, she was dating Wes.  Weren't they the couple in the diner where the guy was abusing the girl and Anne asked him to leave?  If my memory is correct, I wonder what she'll have to say in the aftermath of his death.

Poor Taylor. Everyone's so incapable of helping him and he can't help himself. Sad. WTF happened in that minivan? I don't understand the perpetrator. Is he a violent homophobe? Is he a serial killer? Are his dead victims scattered throughout the state? I'm getting frustrated with the glacial pacing. Only three eps left and key characters like Kevin are fading into the background? Is he important to the story or not? Meanwhile Sebastian was introduced way too late and his scenes are too brief.

I wasn't sure if he was a gay man who suddenly lost his temper or a bigot who faked being gay to lure men to be killed.  

I really wish that I hadn't watched tonight. This was probably the most depressing thing I've ever seen on television.

This was pretty awful, but I felt that "The Missing" on Starz in 2014 was much more brutal.  Another brilliantly acted series that didn't get the attention it deserved.

This whole show, I am blaming the parents. A child got suspended for getting raped (ok, I know that's not why, it's the social media pictures of a drunk Taylor that got him suspended). So the parents know that the co-captains host a drinking and sex party every year - why are they not up in arms?  1) This is a known event that the Coach was aware of, 2) alcohol and drugs at this party, 3) camera phones everywhere taking pictures of the drunk and high kids (I doubt Taylor's pics were the only pics posted on social media of the party), and 4) someone's child got hurt at that party, could have been THEIR particular child and could be their particular child NEXT TIME. 

Ironically, the "crazy woman who abandoned her child" is the best parent of the lot.

These parents don't seem to give a shit unless their kid is suspended or arrested, otherwise, carry on kids, business as usual.  At least the parents at the other school are protesting what they perceive to be racial injustices.  Leyland parents?  Ostriches.

I mean, did Kevin even get into any trouble for hosting that party?  Consequences?  Like, "You are grounded from any partying and friend time with your buddies because you hosted a party at OUR house where there was alcohol, drugs, and a rape.  You go to school, practice, games and the rest of the time you are scrubbing the basement floor with a toothbrush for a month, got it?  Oh, and give me your phone."

My parents did not let me out of house to go to late night parties and to drive around drunk.  Step #1 in preventing this kind of bullshit and all the parents failed.

IIRC, Kevin rented a space where the party was held.  But yes, he should at least be punished for hosting the party.  

I have thought since it was revealed that Eric had sex with Taylor that perhaps other(s) raped Taylor.  It seems unlikely that Eric would have left Taylor with his pants down (because that would have created suspicion about a gay sexual encounter happening at the party, which might have eventually led to people realizing Eric was gay) but that's the way Taylor was found when he was photographed.

• Love 1

A couple things lead me to believe both Wes and Kevin may be guilty of more than picture taking or sharing on social media.

First, when Kevin was picked up from school after the newspaper article was printed, he came home to meet with the family attorney. The attorney specifically asked him if he'd had sex with anyone and if it was consensual. He knew someone at the party was claiming to be raped. I found it odd that he didn't call his girlfriend frantically asking if she had accused him. He didn't call anyone to ask any questions. He already knew.

Then, back at Leyland after Kevin was picked up, Eric, Wes and another student were gathered and Eric said he couldn't get Kevin to respond to his text messages. Wes made a statement about knowing the party was messed up and he didn't want to go to jail. That's not a fear a teen would have if his only crime was sharing photos on social media.

I've wondered if, in his drugged state, Taylor wandered into the bathroom where the senior boys were waiting on the girls to come in and "make the team" as was their annual tradition. Maybe they all did rape him.

Eric was angry enough to dump Taylor and Evy on the sidewalk that night of the party. He hadn't even accused anyone of rape at that point. Why was he so angry then?

• Love 2

Connor Jessup (Taylor) said in a interview that the producer told him once something like "what would you think if the American crime hasnt happened yet." Therefore, it seems like they consider the main crime ironically to be the school shooting.

Well school shootings are quintessentially American.

I still want to know why they haven't taken a minute to even look into who spread the photos.   No matter if Taylor was raped or not he was victimized by the crowd taking pictures and posting them.   That escalated things more so then probably anyhting else.

I'm also surprised. I have a friend whose high school son received an unsolicited topless pick from a classmate. He forwarded it to a friend. They came down on him like a ton of bricks. His phone was seized, he was suspended for a semester, and they dealt with him as if he were a sexual predator. He was 14-15 years old, and the girl received absolutely no punishment. I don't see why that's something a school should address, unless it takes place on school property.

Connor Jessup and Eric Pollari for the win. I hope that the show and their respective teams go into overdrive come awards seasons, these young men are incredible actors. This season has been far superior to last season, and this is great ensemble, Lili Taylor, I have loved her style of acting since Say Anything, and she is solid in this role. The final scene in the diner was heartbreaking. 

This season has been beautifully crafted, it's nice to see something of this quality on a network.

I've loved Lili since Mystic Pizza and I'm so happy more and more people know who she is. I wish she would get some acting nominations, but they seem to prefer the scenery chewing types like Retina King.
  • Love 3

A couple things lead me to believe both Wes and Kevin may be guilty of more than picture taking or sharing on social media.

First, when Kevin was picked up from school after the newspaper article was printed, he came home to meet with the family attorney. The attorney specifically asked him if he'd had sex with anyone and if it was consensual. He knew someone at the party was claiming to be raped. I found it odd that he didn't call his girlfriend frantically asking if she had accused him. He didn't call anyone to ask any questions. He already knew.

Then, back at Leyland after Kevin was picked up, Eric, Wes and another student were gathered and Eric said he couldn't get Kevin to respond to his text messages. Wes made a statement about knowing the party was messed up and he didn't want to go to jail. That's not a fear a teen would have if his only crime was sharing photos on social media.

I've wondered if, in his drugged state, Taylor wandered into the bathroom where the senior boys were waiting on the girls to come in and "make the team" as was their annual tradition. Maybe they all did rape him.

Eric was angry enough to dump Taylor and Evy on the sidewalk that night of the party. He hadn't even accused anyone of rape at that point. Why was he so angry then?

That could be. There was also that scene where Kevin tells his teammates he doesn't want to go to jail for six years (and why "six"?) and Wes tells him, don't worry, none of us will say anything. What are they going to keep mum about? Picture-taking/sharing on SM, underage drinking, sex between teammates and girls and Eric and Taylor, all that is pretty much known at this point. 

Something else must have happened.

• Love 1

We never heard the results of the DNA test, did we? Eric attempted suicide and admitted to contact before the police had an opportunity to leak the results. So it's more than possible he was not the only person involved, and the way the rest of the team is acting, seems grossly disproportionate if they honestly were nothing other than mere attendees of the party, and possible witnesses. Especially once it's known that DNA evidence was found, you'd think that anyone truly innocent would sigh in relief and move on from the paranoia about being blamed.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

That could be. There was also that scene where Kevin tells his teammates he doesn't want to go to jail for six years (and why "six"?) and Wes tells him, don't worry, none of us will say anything. What are they going to keep mum about? Picture-taking/sharing on SM, underage drinking, sex between teammates and girls and Eric and Taylor, all that is pretty much known at this point.

Something else must have happened.

I thought maybe that it might have been because Kevin had provided drinks to underage teens, but I just looked it up and you don't get six years for that.

Rape, incidentally is like 3 - 16 years, although with aggravating circumstances can go as high as 20 - 40.

I'm not sure if the rest of the team had sex with Taylor because of the way they're ostracizing Eric because he's gay. They may have raped him in other ways though, like with an object or something.

• Love 1

With the shooting and all, I suspect we'll never find out any more about the rape.  It will all be about the shooting now, and the rape will fade into the background as just part of the story.  I am more interested in finding out the details of that party, but I suspect we won't.  And I'm already mad about it, lol.

• Love 8

I'm really dreading the next episode and school shooting victim's stories. IMO, Taylor is not a school shooter. The school shooters we know of have long-term planning and pre-meditation. Taylor is a traumatized kid, PTSD from rape, just beaten up, high off of meds he bought for his untreated injuries, just contemplated suicide, and now hallucinating. I'm sorry, I'm sure I'm wrong, but I couldn't care less about Wes. He's a spoiled rich little asshole who was possibly involved with the rape, definitely involved in the beating, and had just issued a death threat. To hear him eulogized as a saint is really going to turn me off.

Either have the courage to tell this story right, or don't bother. Seeing real life survivors and parents of dead kids sobbing adds nothing. It's not at all the story they've been telling, and it's really pissing me off.

• Love 7

I'm really dreading the next episode and school shooting victim's stories. IMO, Taylor is not a school shooter. The school shooters we know of have long-term planning and pre-meditation. Taylor is a traumatized kid, PTSD from rape, just beaten up, high off of meds he bought for his untreated injuries, just contemplated suicide, and now hallucinating. I'm sorry, I'm sure I'm wrong, but I couldn't care less about Wes. He's a spoiled rich little asshole who was possibly involved with the rape, definitely involved in the beating, and had just issued a death threat. To hear him eulogized as a saint is really going to turn me off.

Either have the courage to tell this story right, or don't bother. Seeing real life survivors and parents of dead kids sobbing adds nothing. It's not at all the story they've been telling, and it's really pissing me off.

Yes, but Taylor DID kill somebody and just because you don't like the person that was killed doesn't mean that he didn't have family and friends who will miss him. 

That is why this show is such a tragedy, because Taylor was a victim who wasn't allowed to heal (because of social media) and things just got out of hand.  It's like that book Native Son, Bigger Thomas is a victim of a lot of things, but he's still a killer.  

Also, there are plenty of people who have been raped, who've been brutalized, who've been victims of things like racism and sexism but didn't resort to killing anybody.  

• Love 1

That's why this show is invoking such complicated, conflicting emotions in me. Anyone's murder is unacceptable; yet Wes bullied the gay kid who was less than in terms of physical stature and social class.

I'm sorry but I wont be mourning him.

"Also, there are plenty of people who have been raped, who've been brutalized, who've been victims of things like racism and sexism but didn't resort to killing anybody."

But too many have resorted to killing themselves.

And I want to be clear that I find it abhorrent to deal with violence with more violence. 

Edited  it add: I'm coming from my own experience of bullying that made me have to change schools when I was a teenager. And I count my lucky stars that I ended up in a progressive high school.

Edited by PQuinn
  • Love 3

There's a connection between bullying and school shootings. The Columbine shooters, for example, were widely acknowledged to have been picked on prior to the shooting. I think there was also a study showing that kids that were bullied were almost twice as likely to bring a weapon to school.

Edited to add that I'm reminded of the scene between the coach and the reporter where he was ranting about how this crazy delusional woman has been allowed to make baseless accusations that have harmed the lives of his boys. Then the reporter, a little taken aback, points out that Anne's medical records are confidential, that what was done to her was illegal, and he just brushed it off. As far as he was concerned, she was the villain and anything that happened to her, she deserved.

Edited by Woebegone
  • Love 3

There's a connection between bullying and school shootings. The Columbine shooters, for example, were widely acknowledged to have been picked on prior to the shooting. I think there was also a study showing that kids that were bullied were almost twice as likely to bring a weapon to school.

Edited to add that I'm reminded of the scene between the coach and the reporter where he was ranting about how this crazy delusional woman has been allowed to make baseless accusations that have harmed the lives of his boys. Then the reporter, a little taken aback, points out that Anne's medical records are confidential, that what was done to her was illegal, and he just brushed it off. As far as he was concerned, she was the villain and anything that happened to her, she deserved.

I think Klebold and Harris being bullied has been debunked.  They were just a psychopath and a suicidal follower.

I was very disappointed in how the coach spoke of Anne to the reporter.  From his conversation with Leslie after the fact, he was in attack mode using Leslie words.  It doesn't excuse him, but he at least seemed self-aware and slightly ashamed afterwards.

Yes, but Taylor DID kill somebody and just because you don't like the person that was killed doesn't mean that he didn't have family and friends who will miss him. 

That is why this show is such a tragedy, because Taylor was a victim who wasn't allowed to heal (because of social media) and things just got out of hand.  It's like that book Native Son, Bigger Thomas is a victim of a lot of things, but he's still a killer.  

Also, there are plenty of people who have been raped, who've been brutalized, who've been victims of things like racism and sexism but didn't resort to killing anybody.  

I didn't say or even imply that Wes didn't have family and friends who would be impacted by his death.  I simply said I wouldn't be missing him, and I meant it.  He was a punk.  Someone who takes part in a gang beating, threatens his victim with death if they told, and had some sort of connection to Taylor's rape and the distribution of pics on social media with accompanying online bullying after the fact - nope, not gonna miss him.  I will save my empathy for Taylor, who at the very least was traumatized and hallucinating, and quite possibly has a case for temporary insanity.  If he wasn't poor.  If he could afford a decent attorney.

• Love 4

"I think Klebold and Harris being bullied has been debunked.  They were just a psychopath and a suicidal follower."

No, it hasn't. Read the "Crime" chapter of Andrew Solomon's Far From The Tree. I don't want to speak for Harris, but it is very clear that Dylan Klebold was the victim of relentless bullying.

Edited: To clarify my point, I think in the case of Harris, yes the consensus is he was a psychopath; I don't believe that is true about Dylan.

Edited by PQuinn
I didn't say or even imply that Wes didn't have family and friends who would be impacted by his death.  I simply said I wouldn't be missing him, and I meant it.  He was a punk.  Someone who takes part in a gang beating, threatens his victim with death if they told, and had some sort of connection to Taylor's rape and the distribution of pics on social media with accompanying online bullying after the fact - nope, not gonna miss him.  I will save my empathy for Taylor, who at the very least was traumatized and hallucinating, and quite possibly has a case for temporary insanity.  If he wasn't poor.  If he could afford a decent attorney.

Well, that's true but that's why this whole season is playing out like a tragedy.  Taylor, like Bigger Thomas in "Native Son" was a person in horrible circumstances and ended up committing a murder they had no intent on committing, then had to pay for that crime.  And I don't have that much sympathy for Taylor because he chose to pick up the gun.  

I really disagree on the Native Son comparison.  Bigger came from dire consequences, but responded to kindness with ever increasing violence.  He taunts his sister until she faints, beats a friend for little to no reason, kindly carries a drunk white girl to her bed, but is then caught kissing her.  He then kills her to cover his presence in her bedroom, and dismembers her to dispose of the body.  He then attempts to pin the crime on the girl's boyfriend.  He flees with his girlfriend, but rapes her.  He then kills her to cover up the rape.  Even after all of this, a white guy comes forward and supports him, and helps him get an attorney.

I think Bigger was simmering with anger and rage (like Eric), which just isn't Taylor.  Taylor was not treated with kindness.  His mother did the best she could, and when he sought out Nate, apparently the former homophobic remark kept Taylor from confiding in him.  Taylor was acting on impulse, and (IMO) temporary insanity.  Bigger committed crime after crime after crime.  Bigger killed those smaller and weaker.  Taylor killed his abuser.  Taylor went to the school to quite possibly shoot those on his list, we just don't know.  But a few kind words changed his mind.  He then either shot accidentally or in self-defense when his former attacker man-handled and threatened him.  Could not be more different, IMO.

• Love 2

Well, that's true but that's why this whole season is playing out like a tragedy.  Taylor, like Bigger Thomas in "Native Son" was a person in horrible circumstances and ended up committing a murder they had no intent on committing, then had to pay for that crime.  And I don't have that much sympathy for Taylor because he chose to pick up the gun.  

Lord knows I'm no gun-lover.  I hate the NRA, have never owned a weapon, and very grudgingly didn't kick my cop cousin out of my home when he brought in his gun.  But Taylor has been drugged, raped, then beaten by four guys.  That's enough to inspire fear for one's life, IMO.  This is no George Zimmerman. 

The situation wouldn't have escalated to this degree if Nate responsibly secured his weapon.  Or if the police had taken Taylor more seriously.  Or if the school handled the situation more appropriately.  Or if Kevin's parents didn't bully Anne and illegally place her medical records on the internet.  Or if people hadn't circulated the social media picks.  Or if Taylor wasn't drugged.  Or if Taylor wasn't raped.  Or if Taylor wasn't lured to a gang beating.

To change the subject, I wonder if the police would have arrested those four boys if Taylor filed a complaint.  I also wonder how Eric's wanna be hookup explained his injury to the ER.  It would be extremely interesting to see Eric charged for the crime when he was just defending himself.  Hm, I see a trend.

• Love 4

I seriously doubt Eric's attacker will press charges. We saw how he flew off the handle just from a description of what it's like being out -- no way would he be ready to bring this out into the open to face it himself.

Also, Eric is covered in bruises and his attacker just has the one (very serious) cut. It's a no brainer who started it because it is doubtful he could have beat Eric up after that kind of injury.

I'm anxious to see the coach's reaction when he realizes (and hopefully he will realize) his daughter provided Taylor the narcotic pain meds, and may have also provided whatever date rape drug he was given at the party. Becca was the last peer to see him. He asked her to just stay and be with him, but she lacked the insight to even begin to understand his request.

Will the LaCroix's realize Michael's conspiring with their friend on the police force to get Ann's medical record posted online was the figurative straw that broke and resulted in Wes' death?

I hope they all realize what part each of them played in making the situation worse every step of the way. No one is innocent.

• Love 1

I'm anxious to see the coach's reaction when he realizes (and hopefully he will realize) his daughter provided Taylor the narcotic pain meds, and may have also provided whatever date rape drug he was given at the party. Becca was the last peer to see him. He asked her to just stay and be with him, but she lacked the insight to even begin to understand his request.

Which isn't a surprise since she didn't seem to grasp the concept of "guilt."  

Also, now that I think about it, her mother's stash of weed was also in her baggy of goodies. She mentioned it to Taylor when she was asking him what was his choice of drugs.

So, this is a problem, because as the parent you can't say much to her about selling it when your impressionable teenager sees that you have your own stash.

I don't know if mom knows that Becca knows about her weed smoking, but she does so...some of Becca's stash didn't come from the sleazy drug dealer on the corner it came right from her home, from mommy.

• Love 1
Lord knows I'm no gun-lover.  I hate the NRA, have never owned a weapon, and very grudgingly didn't kick my cop cousin out of my home when he brought in his gun.  But Taylor has been drugged, raped, then beaten by four guys.  That's enough to inspire fear for one's life, IMO.  This is no George Zimmerman.

That's a good point, because the only time Taylor took out the gun, we believe was when Wes said he was going to kill him.  I don't think he would have shot anybody if Wes hadn't threatened him.  Taylor had put his gun away after he talked to the receptionist, who was kind to him.  

My Native Son comparison is that Bigger Thomas was the victim of racism; Taylor was the victim of a violent rape; and both of these things caused them to react in ways they might not have, had these things not been set upon them.  But, YMMV.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I agree the guy won't want to press charges.  But unless he can convince the ER the wound is self-inflicted, they're calling the cops.  And if the guy bleeds out before they can help him, the police will find who he was with by his phone.

I doubt very much he would bleed out, it would likely take an arterial cut to do that. But I certainly agree he's going to have to go to the ER for repairs. 

But they won't need cops investigating a murder to check the phone. The wife's going to do that for them. I think her divorce lawyer will suggest maximum publicity, i.e., charges on hubby. Eric will skate on self-defense. 

The situation wouldn't have escalated to this degree if Nate responsibly secured his weapon.  Or if the police had taken Taylor more seriously.  Or if the school handled the situation more appropriately.  Or if Kevin's parents didn't bully Anne and illegally place her medical records on the internet.  Or if people hadn't circulated the social media picks.  Or if Taylor wasn't drugged.  Or if Taylor wasn't raped.  Or if Taylor wasn't lured to a gang beating.

The sole responsibility for this escalating IMO is on Leslie. You want to be a leader, especially a leader of young people, then you better be ready for all that entails. You better be up to the task. Everyone doesn't have what it truly takes to lead. I can't wait to see the coach call her out on her manipulating people. I've worked in schools and I can tell you that in the last school I worked in if the letter "B" was uttered, before the kid could even get the "ully" out of their mouths, it was defcon 10, LOL. We had ongoing assemblies, whole class counseling sessions with videos conducted by the counselor on bullying. My principal did not play, the administration did not play. Parents all called in, kids were separated, schedules completely altered, teachers on notice, one more complaint and suspensions would be coming down the pike. They didn't play, I loved it. Whole staff was vigilant. This also included cell phone bullying, facebook, etc...the kids were good in that they would tell on each other in a minute and phones confiscated and investigated. Yep, we had rules about that as well in the student handbook. There is no way a Taylor would be walking around my previous school like that. The teachers would have noticed, the counselor called in and kids told her everything as they usually do when it comes to the counselor, that's usually the only person they feel that safe with if the counselor is good, then the counselor goes to the principal and it's on. Those parents are called in and the police to social services is called, whether that parent wants it or not. It is the duty of school staff to report. Leslie sucks in the worse way, she had the power to cut this off at the knees and she failed. She created, fostered a school climate where this could happen.

The only thing we would tell parents because often times the stuff that happened in school was carried over from the neighborhood. These kids lived in the same neighborhood, on the same street even.  So we would tell them that once they leave the school we can't manage that situation and that's on you parents. But once in the school, on school grounds, that kid was going feel safe.

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

The sole responsibility for this escalating IMO is on Leslie. You want to be a leader, especially a leader of young people, then you better be ready for all that entails. You better be up to the task. Everyone doesn't have what it truly takes to lead. I can't wait to see the coach call her out on her manipulating people. I've worked in schools and I can tell you that in the last school I worked in if the letter "B" was uttered, before the kid could even get the "ully" out of their mouths, it was defcon 10, LOL. We had ongoing assemblies, whole class counseling sessions with videos conducted by the counselor on bullying. My principal did not play, the administration did not play. Parents all called in, kids were separated, schedules completely altered, teachers on notice, one more complaint and suspensions would be coming down the pike. They didn't play, I loved it. Whole staff was vigilant. This also included cell phone bullying, facebook, etc...the kids were good in that they would tell on each other in a minute and phones confiscated and investigated. Yep, we had rules about that as well in the student handbook. There is no way a Taylor would be walking around my previous school like that. The teachers would have noticed, the counselor called in and kids told her everything as they usually do when it comes to the counselor, that's usually the only person they feel that safe with if the counselor is good, then the counselor goes to the principal and it's on. Those parents are called in and the police to social services is called, whether that parent wants it or not. It is the duty of school staff to report. Leslie sucks in the worse way, she had the power to cut this off at the knees and she failed. She created, fostered a school climate where this could happen.

The only thing we would tell parents because often times the stuff that happened in school was carried over from the neighborhood. These kids lived in the same neighborhood, on the same street even.  So we would tell them that once they leave the school we can't manage that situation and that's on you parents. But once in the school, on school grounds, that kid was going feel safe.

I think this is awesome, but as I read this, I also feel very sad.  I went to high school 40 years ago and we didn't have all this.  As I have written before, social media has changed the game here; not only that but too many children are raising themselves, single parents, two parents working, no one can be there for the children the way they were.  I walk by the school where they actually lock the front doors; I mean they didn't even lock the doors where I went to school and that was in NYC during the "bad, bad 70's."  

I do agree that Leslie is responsible; she chose to stick her head in the sand and pretend that everything was okay.  When Leslie saw the pictures of Taylor, the first thing she should have done was called a counselor.  I'd be worried that this boy may have a drug problem; IMO he shouldn't have been suspended; find out what happened, where were you, were you drugged, do you have a problem, does he need rehab? In other words, the health of the child should have been Leslie's first priority.  

• Love 1

I think this is awesome, but as I read this, I also feel very sad.  I went to high school 40 years ago and we didn't have all this.  As I have written before, social media has changed the game here; not only that but too many children are raising themselves, single parents, two parents working, no one can be there for the children the way they were.  I walk by the school where they actually lock the front doors; I mean they didn't even lock the doors where I went to school and that was in NYC during the "bad, bad 70's."

Same here, it is sad. 

Edited by represent

I watched this episode twice and couldn't see exactly what Eric did to his attacker? How do we know he hurt him bad enough to require a hospital? 

I don't want to see real life parents of shooting victims on this show. This is a fictional show, not Dateline or 20/20. Having real survivors on just makes this a 'very special episode' instead of continuing to be a fictional story. Taylor could have been a school shooter, but instead he shot one person who grabbed him and threatened him. Taylor has been threatened and hurt one two many times, was on drugs and in a severe but temporary emotional state. Not to say all school shooters are exactly the same, but it seems unfair to Taylor (even though he is not real), to compare him to the Columbine shooters or anyone else. In any case, the story should be about these young men not parents of real life survivors. 

• Love 1

Ah, Grace, you came so close to being this episode's hero! She probably had no idea how important her moment of kindness was to Taylor, and it was shattered by him encountering Wes as he left. If only he'd been able to leave the campus without being set off again. Sometimes we can lose sight of how a simple, basic, seemingly minor moment can make such a huge difference- the small amount we've seen of the school receptionist indicates that she's good at her job (efficient, personable) and it's likely that she didn't make a conscious choice to show some kindness to Taylor, she just did it. And now it's all been undone.

Anne refusing to leave Taylor, just cradling him in her arms, while the police came gutted me. My son, when he was younger and some of his mood disorder-related outbursts weren't yet fully identified and treated, used to have to be restrained but when the incident would pass and his brain allow him to actually process what was happening around him, he would just sort of collapse into my lap. There's a huge difference between a nine-year-old who is thrashing and throwing things and kicking and such versus a high school boy with a gun, but I still had a visceral reaction to seeing them sitting in that booth.

• Love 3

I watched this episode twice and couldn't see exactly what Eric did to his attacker? How do we know he hurt him bad enough to require a hospital? 

The guy had his hands to his throat gasping and spasming like he was having difficulty breathing, IMO. My CC read "skin slicing" which added to my impression that Eric slashed his throat.
  • Love 1

The guy had his hands to his throat gasping and spasming like he was having difficulty breathing, IMO. My CC read "skin slicing" which added to my impression that Eric slashed his throat.

I'm not sure if it was that serious. It looked more like Eric gashed his attacker from the back of the neck to the collarbone. A really gory cut, but probably not life threatening.

In any case, I don't think Eric will see the inside of a jail cell for this. Maybe for something else, but not for this.

• Love 1

I completely agree about Taylor being the primary victim in all this as well as the speculation that it may have been the entire team that gang raped him.  I'm a survivor of sexual assault and trained as an educator by representatives from local and federal law enforcement agencies on motivations, statistics, etc. around campus sexual assault in particular.  What many people don't know is that fraternities, sports teams, military institutions and other groups of men ages 18-25 often use rape as a "rite of passage" in their initiation ceremonies.  Massive quantities of alcohol and/or drugs are consumed and the guys engage in circle jerks and other homo-erotic sexual acts, for instance, someone who is targeted as "other" may be blindfolded and forced to perform fellatio on one or more other men, but victims are told that it's all a part of "becoming a man" and "suck it up," and "don't be a pussy."  This is *not* opinion -- do a Google search on the topic and read for yourself.  Some of these "rites" date back to Greco/Roman times when homosexuality/bisexuality was commonly accepted, particularly among men.  Greco-Roman artworks have numerous depictions of male-on-male erotic scenes and the Olympic Games featuring men sporting nothing but loin clothes and oiled up was considered the height of the social season and were often followed by orgies (think Caligula). RAPE CULTURE is REAL.  The more you know, the more you can help end it.  Don't let your friends/sons/relatives pledge a fraternity or be a part of a sports team that engages in hazing and these barbaric "rites of passage."

• Love 1

Oh and what happened to Eric? They never went back to him, did he kill that guy? I think he stabbed him with something.

And was he prostituting himself or was it just another hook up?

I always watch with captions and when Eric got out of the car, the caption said "Bottle opener falls to the ground."  I assume that's what he slashed the guy with.

I usually don't come on and talk about a show that I'm finally watching years later but the minivan scene was just so disturbing to me.  I agree with what some others pointed out, the guy just snapped as he had his own built up emotions about his lifestyle he was hiding.