Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Ashley D's Story

• Start Topic

Screw you fat man!

I could barely feel happy for Ashley because my rage for her husband kept getting in the way. Did he really think Ashley was the only one with a weight issue? Dud he really leave the doc visit to go to a drive thru to suck down a bacon burger? Seriously? Then at the end he saw the light and decided to eat veggies because she deserved it? Oh, not because he looked like he was only six pounds lighter.

On a happier note, Ashley was pretty mobile for 700 pounds. I enjoyed how she got it done with minimum of self pity.

• Love 12

When they went to the drive thru, it looked like she was dipping her chicken in some kind of sauce. Anyone have an idea what kind of chicken is that? I assume all these fast food sauces are laden with sugar.  Why not just get a roast chicken breast on a salad?

It kills me that these people are traveling, moving, happy, sad, depressed, whatever, and all they can find on the road is fast food. You're in a car. Pull into a darned supermarket and get a salad. You don't need the meat, but jeez, get a rotisserie chicken and a bag of Dole salad mix. Get some chopped fruit from the salad bar. We know they shop for food - have they never noticed the freakin' salad bar in most big stores these days???  /rant

By the end, it looked like the husband had gained weight.  Also, was that 3 pats of butter she put on the corn? Jeez. No wonder...

The talk about eating a lot at a young age, raiding the fridge at night, etc. was strange to me.  No way would my mother have noticed that half a cake was gone and not said something about it and the repercussions that would occur if it happened again. I grew up in a pretty middle class family, but I know there wasn't tons of extra food for my parents to give me extra pie to "keep me happy." It seems there isn't a lot of discipline in these families. I'm not addressing the fact that she may have wanted to eat due to abuse, but that she  could eat - that people made so much extra food available to her that she was 200 odd lbs as a child.That's not a chubby kid; that's a kid with a serious problem. Do parents not see?

• Love 5
The talk about eating a lot at a young age, raiding the fridge at night, etc. was strange to me.  No way would my mother have noticed that half a cake was gone and not said something about it and the repercussions that would occur if it happened again.

I resented it back then but now I am grateful that my parents (especially my mother) watched closely what I ate. I have always had a tendency to be heavy and I would have been a lot bigger when I was young if they would have let me eat whatever I wanted.

• Love 1

Yikes!

She added sugar too sweet corn?????. I get the butter but good lord....

I feel bad for the little boy who seems to live a life of indentured servitude. What will she do when he goes to school all day?

Her husband is going to house bound soon if he gains any more weight.

• Love 6

WHY DOESNT ANTONE EVER GO TO SUBWAY?!?!? I am on the road all the time, most often in the middle of nowhere...if there's a Subway where I am...there's a Subway where they are.

They probably don't go to Subway because they don't want to get out of the car. I am saying that to be funny, but it probably is true.

• Love 9

They probably don't go to Subway because they don't want to get out of the car. I am saying that to be funny, but it probably is true.

I think that is more likely a reason than not. "Fast food is our only option" has been said more than once on this show. It is your only option if you want a bag of food handed to you through the driver's side window. Subway would be a healthier option, if it is between that or a double whopper with fries.

But even if your food has to be eaten while sitting in your car, with no access to eating utensils or plates and bowls, you can still go into any grocery store and pick up fresh whole fruit, hard boiled eggs (I have seen them in my local grocery at least) yogurt or individual cups of cottage cheese, tuna in pouches, etc. Fast food is not the only option while on the road, but any other option requires long term habits and ways of thinking to be changed.

• Love 6

Our Subways (Fargo, ND area) have drive up windows. Is that not a thing everywhere?  

I want to believe that she will continue her success and her husband will get on board and her son will just get to be a kid. I THINK she was getting it in the end. Her husband is dead weight though. She needs to two card him and tell him either he changes his habits or she and the kid are going out on their own. He will derail her progress.

• Love 3

Sheetless mattresses make my eyes twitch. 

I don't think I have ever seen anyone carry so much weight in their face like that. Made me wonder if she would have a lot of loose facial skin and get really jowly the closer she got to her ideal weight.

I'm really surprised she did as well as she did (250+ lbs lost in a year) given her family didn't change any of their eating habits until the very end.  

The mac 'n cheese and corn looked really similar to me so for a minute there I thought she put sugar in the mac. 

Her son was so adorable and sweet. Him getting in the laundry machine to take out the wash and put it in the dryer just gave me so many feelings, one of which was massive amount of concern for his safety. 

A 5 yr old operating a microwave? No bueno. 

The husband - Denim overalls? Really?!?! He looks like he 'found' some of the weight she lost at the end.

Our Subways (Fargo, ND area) have drive up windows. Is that not a thing everywhere?  

I live in northern NJ and I have never, ever seen a Subway with a drive thru window. In fact, until you mentioned it, I never knew such a thing existed. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 14

I was surprised that after losing 250 lbs. her face looked almost as big as before she lost the weight.  The son was adorable, the husband not so much.  I had to look away during the second (emergency) surgery.  It looked like Dr. Now was elbow deep in guts (shudder). 

P.s.  no drive-thru Subways that I have seen in MI.

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 4

Our Subways (Fargo, ND area) have drive up windows. Is that not a thing everywhere?

I want to believe that she will continue her success and her husband will get on board and her son will just get to be a kid. I THINK she was getting it in the end. Her husband is dead weight though. She needs to two card him and tell him either he changes his habits or she and the kid are going out on their own. He will derail her progress.

Ours in town does, but it's one of the few I've ever seen

We had a few drive thru Subways when I lived on the North Coast of California, and I've seen a few here in Sacramento.   I think perhaps it depends on how the Subway is situated because many of them are in places where a drive-thru is not possible, whereas other fast food places will purposely place themselves for drive-thru service.  That said, going into a supermarket and even getting sandwich fixings, small bags of low-fat chips and some fruit -- sooo much better for you.  I agree with everyone on this.   The bare mattresses were too much.  I hope they do a follow-up on her.  Another 200 lbs, and she will have to undergo a lot of skin surgery.  And, her husband WiLL sabotage her unless he gets on board and loses weight himself.  He does not want to be the only fat one in the relationship.

• Love 3

No drive up window Subways in the DC area that I know of.

I'm always fascinated on just how fat will distribute itself throughout different bodies.  Poor Ashley carried hers in her stomach and face.  And then we've seen some obese people who had normal looking faces, but have butt wings of fat.  I was worried that if she gained anymore fat, her entire face would disappear.  Poor Ashley - she's surrounded by obese people.  Her dad was obese, the 30 seconds we saw of him on his talking head.  Her mom was obese.  MIL was obese.  Husband was really obese.  Only her son was still normal sized.  I hope Ashley changes enough to have an effect on his life and prevent him from following in dad's (and grandparents') footsteps.

I think a lot of the learned helplessness that leads them to say "we had to eat fast food because we had no other choice" is partly to do with not having to get out of the car, and partly because it IS fast.  These are people who don't have a lot of patience, and who are used to having what they want when they want it.  And if they decide they're hungry, they want their food NOW.  They don't want to wait to walk in to a store, find healthy food, stand in line to pay for it, and then find a place to sit and eat it.  And most of the ones we've seen have the food preparation skills of a 5 year old to begin with.  Nuking already prepared foods is about all they know how to do.  I was horrified that Ashley was feeding her son hot dogs, warmed up in their packaging, on white bread, for breakfast.  Ugh.

I hope she can keep on track.  And I hope her husband gets a clue or five.

• Love 9

• No drive thru Subway here in New England

The only reason I was thinking behind the no sheets on the  beds was because I get the feeling they don't do laundry that often. Probably only the little boy's clothes get washed and that's it.

Sadly that husband was one of better ones we've seen on this show. The overalls: I die.

Letting your awful drug addict mom back in your life? Not the best choice even if she has cleaned up. 

It's nice she lost 250 pounds but unless she loses at least another 200, she'll still be dead in a few years. :|

Edited by preciousperfect
  • Love 5

OK, I live in the south, so the overalls din't even make me blink, but I'm sorry, I could not understand one word her child said, and I am around southern accents everyday. She also mentioned that her 5 year old helped her. Helped her what? He was too little to hold her up, prepare food, do the laundry. So what exactly was he helping her with, except perhaps opening the doors to let the dogs in and out. 

I have a hard time believing that when Dr Now sees multiple family members with obesity issues, that he doesn't require that the whole family get nutritional counseling, if for nothing more than to support the patient. So when Ashley said that she upset that her husband and son were still eating what they did before, I was surprised, yet not. It is SO much easier to lose weight if the verboten food isn't present and the whole family is eating healthier. Did no one explain that to them, or did they just choose to ignore it because "I don't like vegetables". 

I felt bad for Ashley when she was sobbing just being in the grocery store parking lot. But later when I found out that she was abusing her pain meds, I was like really, knowing how fragile your system in, post op? 

The sheetless bed, no words. 

Edited by poeticlicensed

I knew they would eventually reach my specific area of Texas and Kemp, Texas is only about 30 mins away from me as is Kerens, Texas.  I thought Ashley looked so familiar that I have probably seen her at the grocery store, Brookshire's, in Kaufman, Texas.  None of this family's lifestyle surprises me at all.  I am not from East Texas as I grew up in North Texas but have lived in East Texas for about 13 years and most of the people out here are very uneducated and there is tons of white trash here.  The land and most of our area is gorgeous with very lush pastures and huge oak trees but the people definitely leave much to be desired.  I think most of the "People of Walmart" come from my area.

I am happy to see Ashley really giving it a try but I do think she is still extremely depressed.  I hope she can get help for it.  Her husband is very typical for around here and the overalls didn't faze me, either.  

Subways are abundant in our area but none are drive-thru.  The Brookshire's grocery store that they showed does have a deli but it doesn't have very healthy choices because most of the folks out here eat the same things she eats. White bread is a staple in this area.  We live on a big ranch out here and we have a beautiful garden with our own chickens.  We also have an abundance of wild hogs and deer so you can definitely eat lean and healthy out our way. 

I also thought Ashley's husband looked almost as heavy as she was when they first went to Dr Now.  I wanted him to step on that scale so badly.  Talk about living in denial. 

• Love 5

Here's my problem with "fast food is our only option" when traveling. It's one thing if it's an emergency and you have no time to prepare for the road trip. For example, a family member gets ill and you have to rush to their bedside. Then I can almost see that fast food would be your only option, albeit that there is healthier fast food options than burgers and fries. But in 99.9% of these situations and traveling in general, you know you will be taking a road trip and have time to prepare. Most grocery stores and food manufacturers recognize that people are on the go more and don't have time to prep food from scratch, hence food items like pre-washed bagged salad, to go meals, tuna pouches, pre-slcied and washed fruit and veggies, individual containers of yogurt. It only takes a few minutes more to stop buy a store with a cooler and buy a few things for the road.I have a hard time believing that none of these people realize that you can buy nutritious food when you travel. Or for goodness sakes, pull off the highway and find a sit down restaurant. You need to get out of your car anyway to use the restroom and stretch, why not take an hour and have a decent meal at a sit down restaurant. Nothing grosses me out more than eating in a car. And the car takes on that food smell, and you just feel generally gross, esp with greasy food just sitting in your gut. Bottom line is that some people just love the burgers and fries and traveling is a convenient excuse (one of millions I'm sure) to eat the thing you want, not the thing that's good for you. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 3

I think that is more likely a reason than not. "Fast food is our only option" has been said more than once on this show. It is your only option if you want a bag of food handed to you through the driver's side window. Subway would be a healthier option, if it is between that or a double whopper with fries.

But even if your food has to be eaten while sitting in your car, with no access to eating utensils or plates and bowls, you can still go into any grocery store and pick up fresh whole fruit, hard boiled eggs (I have seen them in my local grocery at least) yogurt or individual cups of cottage cheese, tuna in pouches, etc. Fast food is not the only option while on the road, but any other option requires long term habits and ways of thinking to be changed.

Went to the movies on Sunday to see Deadpool.  I didn't have any popcorn, just a diet coke.  Was hungry on the way home and I didn't have anything prepared. So I stopped off at the grocery store. Picked up a small salad at the salad bar, low cal dressing, plastic fork, and the deli was kind enough to cut up my chicken breast in pieces to add to my salad (all i did was ask them).  Was able to eat it in my car before heading back on the road. Easy. I am appalled at these people who cannot find healthier options than fried chicken, burgers and/or fries.  I think it all goes back to the mentality I want the BIGGEST bang for my buck.  My meal of a salad and chicken breast costed 10.00$ Canadian. For 10 bucks I'm sure you can purchase alot more at McDonalds.  Healthier food costs more but they want to feel fuller faster. 

I agree with the other posters about the husband. He needs surgery or just a proper diet ASAP.  Felt sorry for the kid. With two parents who are overweight, kid doesn't stand much of a chance.

• Love 2

Subway isn't the only healthier option. Most fast food chains have salads for under 400 calories as long as you don't pile on cheese and dressing. I get a southwest grilled chicken salad at McDonalds and it's delicious. If I crave salty stuff I get a cheeseburger Happy Meal, which is also a much smaller portion than these people are used to. I guarantee she could have had fast food at every meal and lost a TON of weight, even if she didn't get salads every time, as long as she ordered a reasonable amount. My point is, fast food is not de facto terrible, even if it's *gasp* McDonalds or Burger King.

• Love 6

We have several Subway drive thrus here. (Far West Texas). I go inside because it takes forever in the drive thru, but that's another story.

I hate the bare mattress too. Geez. It's not that hard to put in a set of sheets. And am I the only one who is surprised at how much weight those mobile home floors will hold?

• Love 2

She added sugar too sweet corn?????. I get the butter but good lord....

It's actually really delicious lol  however the 'recipe' I have is that you cook it in sugar and butter so it kinda caramelizes.  

We have one drive-up Subway here.  We have a lot of Subways here but I think it's the only one. 

I don't think I have ever seen anyone carry so much weight in their face like that. Made me wonder if she would have a lot of loose facial skin and get really jowly the closer she got to her ideal weight.

There was a younger girl in a previous season that had a face very similar.  

She also mentioned that her 5 year old helped her. Helped her what? He was too little to hold her up, prepare food, do the laundry. So what exactly was he helping her with, except perhaps opening the doors to let the dogs in and out. 

He did do the laundry and he did cook food.  They showed both.  That poor little kid put the clothes in the washer and when it was done he hopped INTO the washer to drag them out and then put them in the dryer.   And then he got some hotdogs out of the freezer and put them in the microwave. 

She actually said the only food they ate was the stuff that he could cook in the microwave on his own because her husband was gone all the time.

• Love 6

That little boy sure did love his mom though. I worry for some of these women (also I think of Penny) who depend so much on their

little ones, as sweet as they may be now they usually get a bit sassier when they get older and may be embarrassed of their moms. It happens with the best of kids.

• Love 1

It's actually really delicious lol  however the 'recipe' I have is that you cook it in sugar and butter so it kinda caramelizes.  

He did do the laundry and he did cook food.  They showed both.  That poor little kid put the clothes in the washer and when it was done he hopped INTO the washer to drag them out and then put them in the dryer.   And then he got some hotdogs out of the freezer and put them in the microwave. 

She actually said the only food they ate was the stuff that he could cook in the microwave on his own because her husband was gone all the time.

Lol I'll take your word on that corn and sugar. That sounds like dessert and unnecessary IMHO.. I could see adding a PINCH. Half a cup... Nah son!

I'm glad my mom raised us on vegetables of all kinds and very little "starch".. Ain't no way I could eat the plates of food I've seen on this show.

I was sad to see the kid doing everything.

• Love 1

As sad as it was to see that the kid had to do all that work, I was pleased that 1) he seemed to enjoy his tasks; 2) they were things every kid should learn eventually (defrosting food, doing laundry) and nothing terribly gross, such as 3) he didn't have to wipe her ass or help her bathe. I'm also glad that Ashley is more capable now so he doesn't have to do all those chores, but it's nice for him that he knows how. Ya know, in case some sort of "Home Alone" scenario befalls him, he'll be able to handle himself ;)

• Love 5
he didn't have to wipe her ass or help her bathe

I have to admit that was my fear when she first said how much she depends on him. Whew, thank goodness he dodged that bullet. I remember another woman on the show whose teenage son did have to do that for them and that is just wrong.

• Love 3

Why were there no sheets on the bed? Yuck. 

Poor kid...I felt bad for him, but he probably thought it was cool to jump in the washer and toss the clothes out.

Did he really microwave a whole pack of hotdogs for him and his mom to eat for breakfast?

I felt bad for her UNTIL I learned about the pain meds.  Just trading one addiction for another.

The husband...I won't dump on him.  The show wasn't about him, it was about her, and her need to loose weight. He could have gotten something more healthy at the drive thru, but really, I am wondering just how much of this is "scripted" and they are told what to order by the producers.  Who knows?

I was surprised that her house looked amazingly clean and tidy, especially since she can't move around enough to make something for her child to eat that doesn't require him and a microwave.

I think there's a lot of dysfunction going on in that family.  She only cooks when her husband is home off the road, and then she eats enough for 3 or 4 people (her words). 

• Love 2

I think Ashley has Cushing's Syndrome

Classic Cushing's Syndrome Signs and Symptoms

A round, red face (called a moon face)
    Increased fat around the neck
    Slowed growth and obesity (in children)
    Thin arms and legs
    Weight gain, especially in the upper body and around the stomach

Although these are the most common Cushing's syndrome symptoms, there are a variety of other symptoms associated with this condition.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/cushings-syndrome/cushings-syndrome-symptoms

There is a long list of other symptoms, but this one really stood out to me:

- Fat accumulation between the shoulders (known as a buffalo hump)

I noticed that hump on her back when she was walking into Dr. Now's office. I was actually surprised he didn't mention that he would test for it. Maybe he did and she just didn't want that personal information released.

• Love 3

I was surprised that after losing 250 lbs. her face looked almost as big as before she lost the weight.  

Forgive me, but her face reminded me of the bottom side of a sting ray, especially when she smiled or frowned.

I think Ashley has Cushing's Syndrome

Classic Cushing's Syndrome Signs and Symptoms

A round, red face (called a moon face)

Increased fat around the neck

Slowed growth and obesity (in children)

Thin arms and legs

Weight gain, especially in the upper body and around the stomach

Although these are the most common Cushing's syndrome symptoms, there are a variety of other symptoms associated with this condition.

http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/cushings-syndrome/cushings-syndrome-symptoms

There is a long list of other symptoms, but this one really stood out to me:

- Fat accumulation between the shoulders (known as a buffalo hump)

I noticed that hump on her back when she was walking into Dr. Now's office. I was actually surprised he didn't mention that he would test for it. Maybe he did and she just didn't want that personal information released.

Dr. Now has a terrible habbit of blaming everything on excess weight (or at least in front of the cameras)...They did it last season with the one who almost lost the ability to walk (can't remember her name--he was yelling at her to stand up and walk and that's not every effective on someone with neurological issues--trust me) and it was implied that the guy in season one (can't remember his name either...Don?) guillaine barre syndrome was from his excess weight...it wasn't.  He also brushed off her addiction to pain meds as being a part of her obesity!  She better get real help for that addiction or the family will be worse off than if she was just fat!

The husband was Chad light.

Oh and on the fast food on the road subject...I think that is all the producers.  First of all, the husband is a truck driver.  He knows where to eat.  I bet if they really let them do what they wanted to do, they would have stoped at a Golden Corral...then you would have seen some eating! LOL (but you can also eat salad and grilled chicken at Golden Corral--I have done it before!)

• Love 5

My mom would sometimes add a pinch of sugar to cooked corn.  But only a pinch.  Not like Ashley did.  And while it's nice that the little boy knows how to do laundry and defrost things in the microwave, it's just sad that he knows it way too early.  I hope he never needs the knowledge about how to defrost hotdogs in the microwave in his future life, mainly because I want him to learn good eating habits instead.  Poor wee mite.

Forgive me, but her face reminded me of the bottom side of a sting ray, especially when she smiled or frowned.

This line is so random and descriptive that it took me completely by surprise and I burst out laughing...not fun when you have a bad case of bronchitis like I have.

• Love 5

I'm always fascinated on just how fat will distribute itself throughout different bodies.  

I think a lot of the learned helplessness that leads them to say "we had to eat fast food because we had no other choice" is partly to do with not having to get out of the car, and partly because it IS fast.  These are people who don't have a lot of patience, and who are used to having what they want when they want it.  And if they decide they're hungry, they want their food NOW.  

Yes to the weight distribution. Amazing differences among people.  I also noticed that even tho she couldn't stay up very long, she drove and walked a little, and yet Penny couldn't get out of bed. 

As far as the fast food, I get what you're saying. But how about packing your meals?  Then you could have what you wanted when you wanted and you have control over whether it's healthy or not. I took a 2 hr trip out of town last weekend. I ate a good breakfast at home and packed some water, celery slices, a protein bar (which I didn't end up eating), and a veg 'chicken salad' sandwich made with mashed garbanzo beans. Not for everyone, but I'm trying to lose weight and am vegetarian, so it worked for me. I had a nice veg meal at a restaurant (in the middle of nowhere, I might add) on the way back. No biggie. You make choices. I don't care if they had packed some chicken tenders, carrots & celery, yogurt, etc. You can do it if you want to. 

• Love 3

I didn't want to be wrong about this so I did research again. .. Subway is just as unhealthy as McDonald's. This information comes from studies at UCLA.

Can you post the cite? I'm just curious how they are both equally unhealthy. If you order a 6 inch sub with whole grain roll or a wrap, roasted chicken, light dressing and lots of fresh vegetables, I can't see that being equal to a burger and fries. 

• Love 1

Of course I will post the citation...

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/05/17/breaking-subway-just-unhealthy-mcdonalds

If you watched the London Olympics last summer, you saw – every couple of minutes, it seemed – a parade of top athletes touting the nutritional qualities of their favorite eatery: Subway. Watching Apolo Ohno or Robert Griffin III bite into a veggie footlong with avocado or hearing that Subway is “the official training restaurant of athletes everywhere,” you might get the idea that the sandwich restaurant isn’t that bad for you – healthy, even.

Think again.

Researchers from the University of California Los Angeles found that despite claims to the contrary, Subway is just as unhealthy as the oft-reviled golden arches of McDonald’s – which was surpassed in 2011 by the sandwich chain for most stores in America.

“Every day, millions of people eat at McDonald's and Subway, the two largest fast food chains in the world,” Dr. Lenard Lesser, who led the research while a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholar in the department of family medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, said in the UCLA statement. “With childhood obesity at record levels, we need to know the health impact of kids’ choices at restaurants.”

Lesser – who is now a researcher at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute – did so by recruiting 97 adolescents ages 12 to 21 to purchase meals at McDonald's and Subway restaurants at a shopping mall in Carson, CA. The young people consumed an average of 1,038 calories at McDonald’s. They consumed an average of 955 calories at Subway – a statistically insignificant difference from McDonald’s. The Institute of Medicine recommends that students consume no more than 850 calories in school lunches.

While total calories were slightly lower at Subway, the average calories per sandwich purchased and sodium content were both higher at Subway. The Subway sandwiches contained an average of 784 calories, versus 572 at McDonald's. The sodium content at both restaurants was three times higher than the IOM recommended daily dose: 2,149 mg at Subway versus 1,829 mg at McDonald's.

RELATED

Fast Food Gone Wrong: 5 Gut-Busting Innovations

While the results may surprise the average consumer, they did not catch nutritionist Lisa R. Young off guard. At fast food restaurants commonly thought to be healthier, Young says customers may even eat worse than they would at a chain thought to be less healthy – a phenomenon known as the “health halo.” Because diners assume they’re eating healthier overall, they may not pay close enough attention to the nutritional content of what they’re ordering. And at the end of the day, Subway and McDonald’s are still fast food.

“I do not recommend fast food if you want to eat healthy,” says Young, author of The Portion Teller’s Diet. “With a few exceptions, fast food is still fast food — high in fat and calories.”

Edited by ethalfrida

I guess this might have been obvious to some, but it just struck me that people like Ashley's husband might be motivated to enable her to become so large to deflect attention away from his own size.  He can appear relatively healthy standing next to a 725 lb. person. 

• Love 5

I am sure the extensive pre-op testing would have uncovered Cushings Syndrome. Or else other deficiencies or irregularities that would have suggested to test further for Cushing's Syndrome. Some people just have a round face and gain weight in their face, other's don't. 

My pet peeve about this show is the narration: they ALL sound exactly the same in the monotone voice saying the SAME things:

I knew I needed to change. But it was gonna be hard. I need to be there for my family. 

Each day I try to do a little more. It is really hard. I still crave food but I know I need to do this for my family. Things are different now.

They read off a script that someone else wrote spouting all these generalizations. Even Penny said all the same things that all these people say- she didn't write it herself. And the read it in the same voice, the same intonation. I'd like to hear what these people really think! What they are really experiencing, some of their own anecdotes for example. Nope, just "each day it gets a little easier. I know I have a long road ahead but I'm doing my best. I know this is the best for my son. I try to do a little more each day. I know I have no choice so I am going to do this. I''ve never been able to walk to the mailbox before. I have to deal with my emotions" enough already - what do they really think and feel?

Edited by operalover
  • Love 9

Ashley said she couldn't stand up for more than five minutes.  I think if she would have invested in some good cushiony walking shoes with shock-absorbing orthotics, it would have made her feet and joints feel a little better so that maybe she could have stood a little longer.  She was wearing flat sandals which had no arch support or anything.  When you're even a little overweight, the right shoes can make a difference.  But then I think maybe she wouldn't have been able to find a pair of shoes wide enough.    

• Love 2

I applaud Ashley for a really great start.

That said, I noticed that pre-surgery, they did show one meal that Ashley cooked when her truck-driving husband was home. She used a chair with wheels to sit in front of the stove and made something that looked like pork chops. I thought it odd that she can cook for her husband, but the pre-schooler had to cook for her.

Edited by NYCFree
  • Love 6

Ashley said she couldn't stand up for more than five minutes.  I think if she would have invested in some good cushiony walking shoes with shock-absorbing orthotics, it would have made her feet and joints feel a little better so that maybe she could have stood a little longer.  She was wearing flat sandals which had no arch support or anything.  When you're even a little overweight, the right shoes can make a difference.  But then I think maybe she wouldn't have been able to find a pair of shoes wide enough.    

She said that when she stood it felt like her back would break from the weight of her stomach.  It has nothing to do with the shoes.  

At 380 lbs I used to try to "exercise" mainly in the form of walking around the block, about 1/2 mile.  Around the midpoint I would start to feel that my body would just snap in half right at my lower back from the pressure. Cardio-wise, I was fine. I wasn't gasping for air or huffing and puffing.  It's just the immense drag and pressure of all that weight on every part of your body. Shoes don't make a difference. 

• Love 3

Lol I'll take your word on that corn and sugar. That sounds like dessert and unnecessary IMHO.. I could see adding a PINCH. Half a cup... Nah son!

oh yea, the amount she put on way WAAYYYYY more than needed lol

I didn't want to be wrong about this so I did research again. .. Subway is just as unhealthy as McDonald's. This information comes from studies at UCLA.

My subway sandwiches are definitely as unhealthy as McDonalds lol 

I do not like "dry" sandwiches so I usually get a lot of sauces on it (or really I get ranch and then when I get back home or to my office I add more ranch lol)

• Love 2

Plus they throw in the chips. You people all talking about them packing salads and veggies for the trip-or stopping at a grocery store for salad-- they are not going to do that at this point of the "journey". The best thing for people in this situation (600-700 pounds) is to take a cooler, throw a loaf of bread in the car and some cold cuts and sliced cheese in the car- make a damn sandwich when you get hungry. It's not diet food but it's perfect for being on the road and is filling and fast. Dr Na is not going to kill you for eating a sandwich- it's way better than a double cheese burger and fries. Throw some yogurts and some grapes. When I was on Weight watchers and had to travel, I popped fat free popcorn and put it in baggies before I left to snack on while driving as one of my bad habits was eating candy when driving on long trips. I splurged for pre-sliced fruit for the cooler and made sandwiches. Not that hard! 

What I hate about Subway is it' so damn slow. If you stop with a carload of people to get a subway it's gonna take a good 30-40 minutes for waiting in line, getting them to make 4 sandwiches and check you out. 

• Love 2

I am chuckling over this Subway debate. But I know goodness well, the way I order a sub is definitely not the way any of the candidates on this show would THINK to order it. I normally get ALL of the veggies piled on.

Truth of the matter, while it's challenging to find healthy foods while traveling, fast foods aren't your only choice as many of you pointed out. It's merely convenient because they don't have to get out of the vehicle.

It's funny to note that I live in an area where fast food restaurants tend to be sparse. Each town may have one, occasionally two, fast food restaurants per town. It was a really big deal that one well-known chain wasn't allowed to have a drive thru until maybe five or six years ago. The town just wouldn't allow it. Yet, just a few miles away, in a less affluent area, not only are there tons of fast food restaurants, but of course all have drive thru windows. It's sad that your financial status also clearly influences your food options.