Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: Where Somebody Waits For Me

I'm also a fan and I don't want her to be bad either. And I think it makes sense given everything she's been through that she's nicer nowadays, wants to have a quiet life instead of causing more trouble, etc. But there's a huge middle ground between her current utterly demure shtick and the bad Ali of old, and she could use some of her "talents" in the service of good.

This so much. It's not even like the writers are incapable of writing Alison in a middle ground given they have DONE IT FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON (S5!!) and, imo, she was great then so I really don't know what has come over them to turn Alison into this completely vanilla bore.

Mean girl firecracker-throwing mentality is what got Alison presumed dead and exiled for most of her high school years. I would bet those tactics have been drilled out of her from that experience. Seedy and underhanded could very well be her new M.O.

This is how I feel as well. There's something very fake about this new Alison that has been irking me and I can't see her being as openly agressive as she was an teenager, for the reasons you said. Doesn't mean I couldn't see her doing just as much damage or more, even though like others have said, I wanna believe at her core she can be good.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 4

This so much. It's not even like the writers are incapable of writing Alison in a middle ground given they have DONE IT FOR AN ENTIRE SEASON (S5!!) and, imo, she was great then so I really don't know what has come over them to turn Alison into this completely vanilla bore.

The explanation that makes the most sense to me is the theory someone posted that Alison (or maybe the twin who took her place) was being written to be the final A at that point, then they got picked up for 2 more seasons so they pulled way back on Alison's behavior and shoved Shower in to the mix to fill out that basic role of Emily's love interest who was evil all along and betrays the girls after being missing for years.

Who knows - but they certainly didn't need to pull back this much.

Look at Mona, who in this episode is being sneaky and shady with ambiguous motivations. Considering that her time as MonA led to a stint in Radley, and her last big scheme (to fake her own murder and frame Alison for it) led to her spending months trapped in Charlotte's dollhouse of horrors, it'd be just as plausible for her to decide to stop scheming and manipulating. But she hasn't. She never has. After she got caught as A she spent her time in Radley scheming and manipulating, and after she got out of Radley she spent her time scheming and manipulating, and here we are five years later and she's...scheming and manipulating. If we believe her, she was trying to do good. But she was doing it in shady ways and, as we saw in her conversation with Caleb, she also has no problem throwing verbal jabs. She still has her claws. The last thing she is is vanilla.

So why can't they do some form of that with Ali? The last time we really saw Ali (not this vanilla bore) was at the start of S6, when she lied and manipulated to get out of her house away from the police as part of her scheme with Caleb and Toby to find and rescue the PLLs. So she did shady stuff but for good. If the theory above is true, I can see why they might want to pull back on S5 Ali (who I agree with cuddlingcrowley was great) but there's really no reason I can see why the show couldn't have continued with Ali in her start-of-S6 mode instead of exiling her to her porch (except for when she was at church, or doing laundry for Lorenzo, blergh) for the rest of the half-season.

• Love 5
The explanation that makes the most sense to me is the theory someone posted that Alison (or maybe the twin who took her place) was being written to be the final A at that point, then they got picked up for 2 more seasons so they pulled way back on Alison's behavior and shoved Shower in to the mix to fill out that basic role of Emily's love interest who was evil all along and betrays the girls after being missing for years.

I've always hated the twin theory but at this point it would be an incredible relief if it was revealed this is not in fact Alison but her twin. Not only it would explain the personality shift but it would also explain why, imo, any and all chemistry/connection between her and the girls seems to have disappeared as well. Even with Emily things seem incredibly lukewarm since the start of season 6.

• Love 3

I haven't watched this epsidoe yet, (flu) but I just hate what they have done with Ali. I don't buy the personality switch and if there isn't a twin thing there then it's just terrible writing. I'm more willing to believe the later. Ali is much better used as a conniving little brat.

• Love 1

All of the breakups feel incredibly realistic to me. That flashback scene showed even more why Hanna and Caleb broke up. Yes, they were perfect for each other in high school. They've both become very different people since high school. Hanna's fashion career is starting to take off. Caleb doesn't seem to want to be a part of the fashion community. Their lives are just going in different directions. Having them stay broken up would be the most realistic thing to happen, even though it goes against the shippers' hearts. 

• Love 3

I still don't understand how Hanna's career can involve attending many glamorous parties and needing to make small talk with big time designers while she was still in college and yet a few years later she was merely some errand girl who was responsible for all kinds of silly tasks that seemed to have very little to do with fashion related skills.

• Love 2

They probably should have made it a 10 year time jump so things like Hanna's career taking off in her sophomore year in college, or Spencer and Mona being lobbyists a year out of college, wouldn't happen.  But if they'd done that, they wouldn't have the Emily dropped out of college story line, and there's no way they could make Sasha Pieterse look almost 30 no matter how matronly they dress her.

• Love 3

I agree a ten year time jump would have been more realistic in regards to where the careers are. Even as far as the couples go. The fight Caleb and Hanna had is one I would picture mid to late twenty somethings having not what? Nineteen year olds? Sometimes I think the writers get really confused about the age thing writing for the actors instead of the characters.

Also, I know people 5+ years out of college that are still as lost as Emily so they could have had that storyline as well if they had gone for a ten year jump. But then I think of the inevitable horrible make-up/clothes that they would use to "age" the girls further and, frankly, I think we've been spared.

• Love 2