Type keyword(s) to search

NCIS: Unpopular Opinions

betsyboo
  • Start Topic

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, scorpio1031 said:

I used to binge on this show on Netflix and I haven't done that since the ep where Clayton died, and I didn't even watch that.  I haven't watched any eps since the one where Gibbs was protecting the young girl.  I don't know if I will even watch next season.

I don't think that the show currently is what Gary Glasberg had in mind.  I am also sick of all the back stage drama.

And it's official  - I'm not even excited that the new episodes are on Netflix.  The honeymoon is over.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:08 PM, slothgirl said:

The writers on this show never knew how to write actual women.

Heh. That's probably why so many of them get killed off.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:08 PM, slothgirl said:

As much as I didn't like her in the beginning, Bishop is actually becoming one of the most believable female characters, but I wish they'd let her and Jake have a good marriage. I think the fact that she was married and obviously too young for Tony gave a much needed break to the constant attempt to create sexual/romantic tension for Tony and his co-workers, which was a driving force in the silly writing for Ziva and Kate

I think the writers intentionally wanted to make Bishop Kate & Ziva's polar opposite in terms of looks/personality/relationship with the guys. 

I too wish they had left her marriage alone (mostly because I adore Jamie Bamber and relish any chance to see him on TV), but given the nature of this show (not to mention Bamber's Chronically Killed Actor status), poor Jake was probably doomed anyway. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Camille said:

I think the writers intentionally wanted to make Bishop Kate & Ziva's polar opposite in terms of looks/personality/relationship with the guys. 

I too wish they had left her marriage alone (mostly because I adore Jamie Bamber and relish any chance to see him on TV), but given the nature of this show (not to mention Bamber's Chronically Killed Actor status), poor Jake was probably doomed anyway. 

If they were going to kill her marriage, ok fine, but the whole mystery boyfriend/secret engagement was ridiculous.  Unless it had been with Reeves - that would have been okay.  However, her chemistry with Torres has proven to be very good.   

• Love 4

I hesitate to type this, but as much as overall I liked Kate, I also kinda didn't like her at times. She said things that would.not.fly later on in the show, like when Gibbs asked how something could have happened she'd just breezily say, "It could have been this or that, no way to tell." In later years, Gibbs would have stared an agent down and ordered her to find a way to tell. She was just so...inexact. She took the easy way out on things at times and was usually wrong; that's okay, that's how they learn, but she didn't seem to learn and didn't get schooled the way McGee certainly did.

I was watching an episode on a sub (seems like there were quite a few of them that first year or two), and she was shocked she'd have to sleep in the same room as Gibbs and Tony. Did she think she'd get her own room and ensuite on a sub? Now, I did have some sympathy for her on the episode where they are were on a military plane and she realized there was no bathroom and no privacy. I would not have been pleased at that realization, either.

A new unpopular opinion I have, is that I don't like when Michael Weatherly baits the Tivali fans on Twitter. I mean, I get it. He's tired of constantly being asked about Cote de Pablo, Ziva, Tiva, and Tali, but I just don't care for him giving false hope to the Ziva/Tiva/Tony/Tivali fans. There's nothing wrong with asking NCIS fans to stop pestering him about these things, but his comment in February of this year, really irritated me, as I feel like he's humoring the Tivali fans. Here's the tweet:  

Edited by Laina

I thought Kate was a one dimensional idiot.  I was shocked when she was killed, but it was early enough in the series that she wasn't fleshed out enough.  Ziva was cool.  Until they started writing too much of Tiva stories.  Sheesh.  The show was best when it stayed away from soap opera stories.  I do like the current cast and stories.  And will continue to watch until they start to pair everyone up again.   It's a procedural, not a soap opera!!

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, MelinaBallerina said:

I thought Kate was a one dimensional idiot.  I was shocked when she was killed, but it was early enough in the series that she wasn't fleshed out enough.  Ziva was cool.  Until they started writing too much of Tiva stories.  Sheesh.  The show was best when it stayed away from soap opera stories.  I do like the current cast and stories.  And will continue to watch until they start to pair everyone up again.   It's a procedural, not a soap opera!!

I liked Kate, but I think with her character only being on the show for two years, they didn't get a chance to fully develop her.  Ziva was fine, until Tony would talk to another female and then she started acting like a jealous, immature brat.  

An unpopular opinion, at least on this site, that I have is that I couldn’t stand Tony. He was an immature douchebag frat boy and a bully, he treated McGee like dog shit for years and treated others in a similar way, to the point of him creating a hostile workplace. Although for that matter Gibbs head slapping Tony was also inappropriate behavior : I always hoped one day McGee would use his hacking skills to wipe out Tony’s credit cards and financial information after finally having enough of Tony’s crap, and that Tony would turn around and slug Gibbs after getting a head slap. 

I feel like everyone is much more professional now : No douchebag Tony, Gibbs isn’t nearly as much of an asshole, no childish Abby, McGee is a competent agent and not just a stereotype geek, Palmer is a self confident, competent doctor and so on. The show is much more enjoyable to watch with these characters, I couldn’t stomach it for a while between douchebag Tony and super woman Ziva. I feel like the characters are the most likable they’ve ever been. 

• Love 17

I don't know where to put this...don't know if it has been discussed in another section.

I like the new cast; they seem looser (in a good way), there is more humor, and no romantic tension.  At least none that I have noticed.  But.  I have to wonder if Mark Harmon (who I love) is getting too old to play Gibbs.  I am over 70, so I am not age-shaming.  Even his voice seems a bit weakened. Just me?  But I cannot imagine this show without him.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Kemper said:

I don't know where to put this...don't know if it has been discussed in another section.

I like the new cast; they seem looser (in a good way), there is more humor, and no romantic tension.  At least none that I have noticed.  But.  I have to wonder if Mark Harmon (who I love) is getting too old to play Gibbs.  I am over 70, so I am not age-shaming.  Even his voice seems a bit weakened. Just me?  But I cannot imagine this show without him.

I think TPTB has blown through the mandatory retirement age for Gibbs.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2018 at 6:35 PM, Kemper said:

I have to wonder if Mark Harmon (who I love) is getting too old to play Gibbs.  I am over 70, so I am not age-shaming.  Even his voice seems a bit weakened. Just me?  But I cannot imagine this show without him.

I know! I have always LOVED him, but it's starting to feel...inappropriate. He seems more like a grandpa than a dad. Not sure I'm explaining myself very well, but I totally understand where you are coming from.

Fornell still seems lively enough. Maybe it's just that the stories and lines are getting tired -- Gibbs hasn't done anything new in awhile. Even standing in as director has been done before.

• Love 6

Ever since the video of Weatherly being such a jerk, and harasser on his show, I haven't watched NCIS.     I can't stand to watch him on screen.   

Though I admit after Ziva left I didn't watch very much either, but Weathly and his sexist lines are just too much for me.  

• Love 3
On 10/31/2018 at 1:57 PM, JackONeill said:

I think TPTB has blown through the mandatory retirement age for Gibbs.

They have hand waved the mandatory retirement age  away for Gibbs. It would have been 57 and Director Vance could have gotten a waiver for 60. I think congress got involved to allow specific FBI Special Agents to stay until 65 because of a special investigation where they didn't want a disruption. 

I was surprised when they actually had Ziva be awarded American citizenship before becoming an actual NCIS Agent as the law requires. As other CBS shows like the Red failed spinoff and the Criminal Minds spinoff had their foreign citizen federal agents 

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but "new Abby" is neither funny nor quirky.

I like her, but I think it's cause the character of Abby was becoming annoying.  And of course, all that drama of Abby and Gibbs not in the same room.  Thank you for being professional actors🙄.

• Love 3

* DiNozzo was the heart of the show when he left the ones that came and went afterward were all just wall paper at best.Didn't care about any of them and some of them weren't even plausible as agents.   (Oddly Michael Weatherly sucks in Bull).

* The new Abby is a bore. In some ways it would have been more fun to go with someone really straight laced rather than try and do Abby Mk II. 

* It is a shame that the original Abby never grew up or advanced in her character. She was like a woman child never growing up, the goth thing was only fun for so long.

* Probie is a great straight man to someone like DiNozzo but is not a great stand alone character. 

* Gibbs is looking real old and tired. 

Edited by Morlock
  • Love 6
On 2/19/2019 at 11:46 PM, Brookside said:

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but "new Abby" is neither funny nor quirky.

I agree. I can’t warm up to her, and it’s not because I am a full blown Abby fan. It was time for Abby to go, her character was stunted. 

Kasie (she even has an annoying spelling?) is cartoonish and like someone just mentioned, I wish they had gone with someone more professional and strightlaced, I think it would have been a nice change of pace. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I agree. I can’t warm up to her, and it’s not because I am a full blown Abby fan. It was time for Abby to go, her character was stunted. 

Kasie (she even has an annoying spelling?) is cartoonish and like someone just mentioned, I wish they had gone with someone more professional and strightlaced, I think it would have been a nice change of pace. 

I think it is because Abby felt natural and was a relatively new concept at the time, a quirky out of place person in this crime/military environment. 

Kasie is trying too hard to be Abby. I'm not a fan of Garcia on Criminal Minds either who is another one of these screwball characters in contrasting environment. 

• Love 5

I’ve just finished a rewatch of JAG, which, includes the back door pilot of this show, and it pains me to admit this:

As much as I adore Mark Harmon, I wish Don Bellisario hadn’t been pushed out from running this show.

Even the early seasons of this show-it was about NCIS. After watching the most recent episode, I’m wondering what investigating Cokehead Colin has to do with Navy/Marine crimes? This should be under the purview of the FBI.

Yeah, yeah, it’s horrible that cast had to work such long hours under DPB, but that’s how he worked. And he had several successful shows before this one -which is barely recognizable as a DPB show, where the actors acknowledge they had to keep up with his style.

I think if he was still in charge, it would still be about Navy Cops investigating Navy crimes, instead of what it is now.

I don’t know. I guess that’s why I’m posting this here. It’s unpopular.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
On 7/13/2018 at 3:14 AM, Dr.OO7 said:

I agree that NCIS doesn't know how to write women. How many characters have dead female relatives as part of their backstory? Female cast members were killed off when they wanted to leave. Even Abby who had been part of the cast from the beginning was shot.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2019 at 4:45 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Ever since the video of Weatherly being such a jerk, and harasser on his show, I haven't watched NCIS.     I can't stand to watch him on screen.   

Though I admit after Ziva left I didn't watch very much either, but Weathly and his sexist lines are just too much for me.  

I also dislike Michael Weatherly/ Dinozzo as he appears arrogant and bloated and loud. My fear is that he will return to NCIS for its 2022-2023 season and ruin its current likeability vibe of characters like Parker, Knight, McGee, Palmer, Kasie Hines etc.

Cbs might think that Dinozzo will attract the "old time NCIS" viewers (he won't. It's a different show and cast now, which works).

Assumptions are that:

-NCIS gets renewed for 2022-2023 season (very likely),

-weatherly's Bull show gets cancelled (reportedly likely),

-and that Wilmer V. decides to leave NCIS (busy with his other projects like Zorro).

However, since representation and inclusion are more valued on tv now (compared to 2003 when the show started), weatherly might not fit the mold. If the producers want to be brutal, they might get rid of Jimmy Palmer the coroner for another inclusive coroner, then bring in weatherly (shudder).

• Love 3

Oh Lordy, the last thing this show needs is a rerun of DiNutzo (I loved it every time Fornell called him that).  The first season of DiNutzo was okay, but after 17 years of the character still being having the mentality and attitude of a frat boy, and truly being a bully, I was way over him.  The character can stay wherever he is. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, secnarf said:

Fornell’s pronunciation of DiNozzo was just the proper Italian pronunciation of the double Z - think how “pizza” is different than “Pisa”. It wasn’t meant as an insult in any way. 

Thanks for the information, I didn't know that.  I just thought Fornell knew Tony was a bag of wind and was poking him.  As with so many things, wrong again.  

21 hours ago, secnarf said:

Fornell’s pronunciation of DiNozzo was just the proper Italian pronunciation of the double Z - think how “pizza” is different than “Pisa”. It wasn’t meant as an insult in any way. 

6 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

Thanks for the information, I didn't know that.  I just thought Fornell knew Tony was a bag of wind and was poking him.  As with so many things, wrong again.  

It may have been the 'proper Italian' pronunciation of the name, but it's not the way that DiNozzo himself pronounced his name. 

Which means that every time Fornell deliberately mispronounced it after the first time, it was intended as a deliberate insult to Tony. 

• Love 2

What made this show was the chemistry of the original cast and even later on Ziva wasn't too bad. Once Weatherly left it just became bland. All the additional characters they threw in were boring and it has never been the same since. Now Gibbs is gone, or mostly gone there isn't much left but a boring Law and Order type show with expendable actors. 

• Love 3

I loved DiNozzo and that Gibbs said he was his best youngest recruit ever to his (D's) father. TD always did his job and could be counted on. Even after clowning around.

And, yes, even as a woman I found him charming because he had compassion for others, and doubts about his life, and was real.

I loved he ended up with Ziva and Tanya.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I loved DiNozzo and that Gibbs said he was his best youngest recruit ever to his (D's) father. TD always did his job and could be counted on. Even after clowning around.

And, yes, even as a woman I found him charming because he had compassion for others, and doubts about his life, and was real.

I loved he ended up with Ziva and Tanya

It was Talie not Tanya,Ziva's younger sisters name. Not sure about the spelling done phonetically. I am glad they did get together off camera.

It's actually spelled Tali.

Also, my unpopular opinion is that I'm really enjoying Katrina Law/Jessica Knight. I usually get bitched at when I mention that I like her, as many people just call her a replacement for Ellie.

Well... Ziva was a replacement for Kate, Ellie was a replacement for Ziva. And now Jessica is a replacement for Ellie. I've liked many of the women on NCIS, even though they get done dirty with a lot of bad writing.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Laina said:

It's actually spelled Tali.

Also, my unpopular opinion is that I'm really enjoying Katrina Law/Jessica Knight. I usually get bitched at when I mention that I like her, as many people just call her a replacement for Ellie.

Well... Ziva was a replacement for Kate, Ellie was a replacement for Ziva. And now Jessica is a replacement for Ellie. I've liked many of the women on NCIS, even though they get done dirty with a lot of bad writing.

Oh, I'd rather say not liking Knight is an unpopular opinion. I liked Kate and Ziva but Ziva's backstory got ridiculously convoluted and overblown. Ellie worked for a while but then they sent her on a revenge trip à la Gibbs and the character never recovered. I enjoy seeing Katrina Law. She was great in the Arrowverse and I'm glad she found a new home after her short stint on H 5-0.

• Love 3

Oh, well, good. I've just experienced hate on Knight in the NCIS areas I've been on recently. I love Katrina Law. Enjoyed her on Arrow and Hawaii Five-0, and I'm loving seeing her on NCIS. I hope the show goes for a few more years and we get a few more seasons before she quits, or the show ends.

• Love 4

I just found this thread and I’m so happy to list my unpopular opinions:

• I hated Kate. She was smug and thought she was smarter than everyone. I also didn’t like the way she treated Tony. 
  • Tony was/is my favorite character.
  • I loved Zika until the whole “will they/won’t they” thing with Tony. 
  • I wish they had kept MI6 Reeves and I don’t like Torres. 
  • I love Kasie and Jimmy. 
  • The show should have ended when Gibbs decided to stay in Alaska. 
  • Love 3
On 1/13/2022 at 5:59 PM, LegalParrot81 said:

Oh Lordy, the last thing this show needs is a rerun of DiNutzo (I loved it every time Fornell called him that).  The first season of DiNutzo was okay, but after 17 years of the character still being having the mentality and attitude of a frat boy, and truly being a bully, I was way over him.  The character can stay wherever he is. 

Please for the love of all things holy, do not bring Dinozzo the Douche back! I hope we never hear his name again. The show is really good now and has experienced sort of a rebirth with the additions of Parker and Knight, the characters are the most likable they’ve ever been IMO - Knight is my favorite female agent in the show’s history, and Parker is a really good team leader, and has a more likable personality than Gibbs (as I’ve said before, Gibbs was a compelling character, but not someone I would want to work with). The current cast has great chemistry IMO, and bringing back Douchebag Tony would ruin all of it. Tony was the main reason I could never get into this show as much as other crime shows I enjoy, I just find him repulsive, both for his abhorrent treatment of McGee in McGee’s first couple of years and for his inappropriate and creepy behavior around women, and his juvenile frat boy mentality. It’s too bad Tony didn’t leave in a body bag, and I don’t ever want to see him again, keep him off the screen and keep the great chemistry the current cast has!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I wasn't a Kate fan but I actually thought she and Tony (another character I didn't like) made a better couple than he and Ziva.  Only because I thought they were both full of themselves and could give back as good as they got.

• Love 1