Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: The Decision

Caught the show live for the first time all season. Reagan is less of a bother than I initially expected, but I'll be glad to have Jess back.

When Nick told Reagan he wouldn't want to sleep with her "like this" I immediately thought of "Cooler", True American and Jess and Nick's first kiss, and a time when this show was appointment television for me. I still enjoy it and can always count on a few laughs from each episode, but I really miss the excellent show New Girl was in season 2. I wonder if that sense of focus for story and character will ever come back, or if this is all there is until it's done.

• Love 3

Caught the show live for the first time all season. Reagan is less of a bother than I initially expected, but I'll be glad to have Jess back.

When Nick told Reagan he wouldn't want to sleep with her "like this" I immediately thought of "Cooler", True American and Jess and Nick's first kiss, and a time when this show was appointment television for me. I still enjoy it and can always count on a few laughs from each episode, but I really miss the excellent show New Girl was in season 2. I wonder if that sense of focus for story and character will ever come back, or if this is all there is until it's done.

I totally agree. I watch it because there aren't that many comedies where I actually like the characters but I feel a little bored with this show. Megan Fox as The Hot Girl  seems really thin to me. I liked her better in the last episode where she was afraid to dump her girlfriend because her weakness humanized her. Mostly she seems like an icy fembot.

This morning I met a client for coffee where Cici and Schmidt wanted to get married. It's the Biltmore Millennium Hotel and the ceiling really is gorgeous.

• Love 2

I was upset that they used that line. That moment in cooler was so epic and I don't like tha Nick's feelings Regan wpuld even be compared to how he felt for Jess. Season 2 is one of my favorite seasons of a tv show ever.

Also, so crushed for Winston. I like them together and just want him to catch a break with someone.

Edited by ally862
  • Love 2

I was upset that they used that line. That moment in cooler was so epic and I don't like tha Nick's feelings Regan wpuld even be compared to how he felt for Jess. Season 2 is one of my favorite seasons of a tv show ever.

I was pretty taken aback by it myself, and wondered if it was intentional or just a bit of lazy writing that wasn't caught. I don't imagine they'd actually want to draw a comparison between this temporary tease of a pairing and Nick/Jess, but I guess we'll see how it progresses.

I'll be shocked if they ever let Winston be successful in a relationship. With Schmidt and Cece getting married and Jess and Nick inevitably coming back around, they'll keep him single so they can throw him into weird dating plots whenever they need to.

While I definitely sympathize with Schmidt and Cece having to stick to a budget for their wedding, I also found it annoying that Cece said they couldn't go overboard because THEY are paying for it. Boo hoo, your parents aren't going to pay for a ridiculously extravagant wedding. If you want that $10K venue, then choose a later wedding date so you have more time to save money to spend on the wedding. It's not rocket science. Spend the next six months not buying new clothes or going out to restaurants or buying coffee. I'm not saying that anyone NEEDS a fancy wedding venue, but you also don't have to look at abandoned warehouses.

• Love 2

"Frenching, they're Frenching! Chaperone! They're Frenching! Ahhhhhh."

Winston is the best at any age.

Reagan continues to not bug but also not be my favorite.

My other favorite moment was Schmidt's "Everyone dies, maybe he'll die" to Winston when he told him that Aly was on her way to the bar with her boyfriend.

Schmidt's line about "Everyone dies" is the only time I chuckled at the whole episode. Overall I found it very weak and Megan Fox is bringing nothing to the show. It's not that I mind her, but she's adding nothing. 

I kind of figured the hotel guy was going to give the room to Schmidt and CeCe after their heartfelt proclamation of love so the lack of follow-up to that felt like something got cut. And the two couples bickering over who deserved it more felt like very weak improv. 

• Love 1

Can I just say, I really miss the original opening credits. They were cute, and I loved the end where Jess just awkwardly stands there after everyone has left. Then they switched to that boring group shot (which someone at the AV Club called a Gap Add, which is spot on), then to nothing but that jazzy version of the old song. Disappointing. 

I mean, I still really like the show (even if its glory days have passed), but this bugs me every single week. I know it might not work now that Jess is taking a leave of absence, but something would be nice. 

• Love 2

Ugh, why did this show have to go the Winston falls for his partner route? Nasim Pedrad has been gold in the follow up episodes to her introduction on the show. That slightly sarcastic approach suits her well. But this show cannot introduce a female character without making her a love interest, parent, or gay.

Once again, the non-Reagan character work felt a lot stronger to me. The actors know their characters in those senses. Good god, Cece trying to improvise the most romantic meeting possible for them, and Schmidt's reactions got me. As did the "boss" of the abandoned warehouse as his employees catch onto the ruse. "you were supposed to text me!"

Also, so crushed for Winston. I like them together and just want him to catch a break with someone.

Me too. I figured this was the writer's death knell for Jess and Nick.

Winston is forever my favorite.

• Love 1