Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: Adrian Pimento

• Start Topic

When an unstable detective returns to the Nine-Nine after years undercover, Jake doesn’t know what to make of him. Meanwhile, Charles’ rebellious behavior pits him against the precinct’s custodian, and Holt enlists Gina’s help in directing a “fun and informational” video starring himself and Rosa.

Meredith from The Office as "Mean Marge"!

As an avid listener of the "How Did This Get Made" podcast I loved Jason Mantzoukas got to say "dildos".

The actors Gina got to replace Holt and Rosa were great.

Of course, Rosa had a crush on "Stripe" the evil Gremlin!

• Love 1

Only really know Jason Mantzoukas from Parks & Rec, and I wasn't a huge fan of his Dennis Feinstein on that show, and I wasn't that wild about his character here either.  There were moments I laugh, but most of it came from Jake/Andy Samberg's reactions to all of his antics.  And, of course, Rosa admitting she will probably end up having sex with him, since she is into creepy guys (I forgot that she admitted that about The Vulture when she first met him.)

I did enjoy seeing Kate Flannery as Mean Marge.  Cracked up over the trash they had collected to hold over the gang.  Of course, Boyle would be ashamed that he had fast food, Terry for throwing out drawings from his kids, and, yes, Amy would totally be ashamed over applications she had to throw out because she accidentally put "their" instead of "there."

Thanks to Holt, I'm now trying to picture a tan sky.  From a Holt perspective, that makes complete sense.

• Love 1

So does Jason Mantzoukas just play the same character, with the same schtick, all the time? I find him tiresome in anything more than very small doses. I'd had enough of him by the time the episode hit the five minute mark.

I ended up skipping through the episode, didn't see a single Amy scene, so decided not to bother watching. Is Pimento going to be in more than one episode? Because that would be a seriously shit way to end the season.

Random note that occurred to me during this episode and many others: Both this show and Parks have this weird fascination with "butts"---focusing on them, talking about them, having characters use the word with weird frequency. That and mentioning "sucks," as in "----random thing--- sucks." And sometimes they combine the two fixations to have a character announce that something "sucks butts." It always makes me feel like my nine-year-old nephew wrote those sections of the script :) 

That said, I think I liked last night's episode more than most did. For some reason, this actor works for me as both Adrian Pimento and Parks' Dennis Feinstein. Plus, I tend to enjoy plots where Jake goes from enthusiastically but naively embracing something to noticing the object of his admiration isn't exactly what it was cracked up to be...and acting accordingly like the far-more-mature-than-I'd-believed-him-to-be guy that he is :) (As you can probably tell by that clumsy description, Old School is an all-time favorite episode of mine!) 

I have to say, though, I wasn't too psyched to see that Adrian is going to be back next week. I enjoyed the different energy he brought to the show, but I can already tell that for me he's best in (very?!) small doses! 

As someone else noted, Amy's excessive shame over once confusing 'their' with 'there' was a highlight of the episode, both because it was so in character for her AND something to which I can relate all too well :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

So does Jason Mantzoukas just play the same character, with the same schtick, all the time?

I found him a little more palatable than his character on The League. Plus, I loved him as the bag boy. As differentiated from being a bag man for the mob boss. Also, there actually is a supermarket on the corner of Atlantic and Clinton in Brooklyn. [/random factoid]

I really enjoyed Charles taking such umbrage when Amy accused him of not groveling enough to Mean Marge.

On the whole, not one of the stronger episodes, but still watchable.

Adrian is coming back? Well...ok. I like Jason Mantzoukas alright, but his schick can only be sustained for so long before it gets old. The real highlight of his story was Jake, and how well Andy Samberg did in his reactions to him, both funny and sincere. I say this pretty much every week, but the guy really has come such a long way as an actor, I love seeing it. 

Amy! Confusing "their" and "they're"? The horror of it all! 

• Love 3

So does Jason Mantzoukas just play the same character, with the same schtick, all the time? I find him tiresome in anything more than very small doses. I'd had enough of him by the time the episode hit the five minute mark.

He was in Transparent, and was much different than here.

Having said that, I thought he was hilarious here, esp when he got all crazy. My favorite line of his was "Brain leaked out his eyes like he was crying his own mind." I also thought he was hysterical as a grocery bag guy, esp how he yelled at the cashier.

Pimento's Mementos. Hee.

Rosa: I'm only attracted to creeps. The Vulture. The Sham-Wow guy. When I was a kid I had a major crush on the evil Gremlin.

Jake: Stripe?! Are you crazy?!

Rosa: Yeah well I'm not going to bone Gizmo.

I wasn't too thrilled with Gina here, but the plot did allow for this exchange:

Holt: Diaz and I have that kind of easy chemistry where we finish each others---

Rosa: Sentences.

Holt: Please. Don't interrupt me. That kind of nonsense won't happen on camera.

• Love 7

I thought it was pretty funny, actually. 

Holt: Diaz and I have that kind of easy chemistry where we finish each others---

Rosa: Sentences.
Holt: Please. Don't interrupt me. That kind of nonsense won't happen on camera.

Hee!  That was my favorite exchange of the episode.

I hated Dennis Feinstein, but I didn't mind Adrian Pimento. As mentioned, Jason M. played a much more likeable character on Transparent. He also played a very different kind of character on the show Enlightened.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 1

The movie-making plot really went nowhere, but, that it allowed Holt so many great lines made it worthwhile as far as I'm concerned. I would love to live in Holt's world, where the sky is tan and being able to finish each other's sentences is nonsense that will never happen on camera. And, am I mistaken, or did Holt tell Gina that the video was being made for the M. C. Guffin foundation? As in, McGuffin?

• Love 2

It sounded like Rosa said that all the guys she is attracted to are creeps. I wanted someone to ask "what about Marcus?"

!) Maybe there's something about him we don't know

2) they split up -- maybe he wasn't creepy enough for her

• Love 2

I really enjoyed Charles taking such umbrage when Amy accused him of not groveling enough to Mean Marge.

I can't recall, have Amy and Charles ever had a storyline together? I can't help but feel like them trying to out-kiss-ass each other would be entertaining.

And wow, how pregnant is Melissa Fumero? The boxy blazers and file folders held in front of her? Heh. All the pregnancy-hiding stereotypes! :D

I'm on the fence about Jason. Much of his stuff doesn't really 'land' for me, but when it DOES land, it lands hard. I found this with his characters on P&R and The League too. His rapid fire lines can get a bit exhausting to listen to, but there are some gems in there...

The exchange between a sleepy Jake and half-undressed Adrian entertained me for some reason.

I have no idea how Rosa managed to infuse so much dirty desire into her "mm hmm" when Jake was listing Adrian's flaws to her but I laughed nonetheless. :)

And wow, how pregnant is Melissa Fumero? The boxy blazers and file folders held in front of her? Heh. All the pregnancy-hiding stereotypes! :D

I must be the most unobservant person ever. I haven't noticed any of the pregnancy hiding. ha

• Love 2

I can't recall, have Amy and Charles ever had a storyline together? I can't help but feel like them trying to out-kiss-ass each other would be entertaining.

There was Halloween in season 1.

Oh dear. I'm doing a rewatch and it has been my happy place! I often stay up a little too late because I'm having so much fun watching. It's been total joy (except Gina, but the rest is awesome enough to overcome). Very sad to find out I've reached the point in the series where Adrien Pimento enters. His manic energy is grating.

• Like 1