Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Manly Whatnots

Tara Ariano

Trixie is a paranormal TV phenomenom for me. Or she actually has Lucifer's powers of seduction. First, there's the whole "I love a kid character". And now, I want to say things like "give me more Trixifer scenes". I need help.

Probably unpopular, but I find Maze more interesting fighting dirty with Amenadiel than fangirling/nagging around Lucifer.

Yeah it's unusual that I like tv children as they're usually whiny brats or conversely they cause their parents to say their name over and over again driving you crazy with their myopic world view.

I like Chloe more when she's talking to Trixie than when she's talking to Lucifer, simply because she keeps asking him who he is and he keeps answering the same way. It dull and tiresome. Maybe it's a cop thing though, keep asking the same question over and over again until you hear something you like. 

I'm so glad Maze had something to do this episode as her nagging Lucifer to punish people was a bit repetitive.

As for the COTW I figured that there was something dodgy going on once it was revealed he was a pick up artist so it was likely he'd probably be a target of a woman's elaborate revenge plot. Though I'm still unclear as to Not Lindsey's plan? Reveal her backstory, cause him physical and emotional pain, then take his money and kill him ? 

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 1

We've seen him throw fully grown men through glass and this week he cloths-lined the brother without a thought, yet every time Trixie throws herself on him and hugs him, though he reacts all "Eeek!" he's incredibly tolerant with her, hell this week she grabbed his fingers and was tugging him along to go look at a 7 year old's bird report and he was going.  

Counter balance this with the way he held on to the money with a grown man yanking on the bag with all his strength and there was no give to Lucifer.  He wouldn't even have to use angelic ability to hold his ground when Trixie tugged him away, just stand firm and say "No, I'm going to talk to your father a moment", especially since he'd be facing off with Detective Douche, which we know he LOVES to do, but instead, off he goes.

I wonder if they are going with the children being innocent on principle theory. If so, there wouldn't be any children in hell, so Lucifer wouldn't have had to deal with any before taking his 'vacation'. I think he just doesn't know how to react. It's a bit like children of friends being more likely to listen to me than to their parents because they can't judge how I will react if they disobey while they know exactly how far they can go with their parents.

Plus Lucifer was a real tool for cutting Chloe off about those scars, just when she was getting empathy for him. Lucifer should have paid attention to early episodes of Arrow to see how Oliver's scars worked magic on getting Laurel into bed. You blew it big time, Lucifer.

I just imagined Lucifer with a bowl of popcorn watching Arrow ;-) I don't think he was a tool about it, but it's a sore spot for him. His daddy issues are well established and he's probably way too proud for such a thing as empathy. He's the devil, he doesn't need a puny mortal feeling sorry for him.

I dunno, I just can't get into Chloe. Or maybe it's German as Chloe. She's got the shit job, being the straight woman, and I sympathize with that. But I'm never convinced that she's even a TV cop, let alone real cop. And I think if she were truly as unruffled about Lucifer and his attractions as we've been told previously, she wouldn't have been as embarrassed as she was by Lucifer's nudity.

She's just so...run-of-the-mill TV actress, and doesn't bring anything special to the role. The overworked single-mom cop is a well-worn trope, I wish there was something unique to hook in to. And that thing would not be "Hot Tub High School."

Couldn't agree more. When I read that German got the role, I really hoped they would send her to take a few acting lessons, but she's still acting like a wooden board as she was in Hawaii 5-0. The way they are writing her doesn't help either, she has to be the worst cop ever.

The only thing selling the single-mom aspect to me is Trixie. As much as I usually dislike most TV kids, whoever cast the young actress should get a raise.

As for the nudity: show me the grown woman who would have reacted as embarrassed as she did instead of throwing him off with a few well-placed jokes to put him in his place.

Lucifer's 'Is this thing on?' cracked me up. Him not wanting the pick-up 'artist' to be shot but properly punished via STD was great too.

Did anyone else think of Alan Rickman's Metadron in Dogma when Maze looked Amenadiel up and down?

• Love 3

Sonja, I had been wondering along that exact angle as well a few episodes back, when it was obvious that Lucifer just isn't sure what to do with himself around children/true innocents.  Given that he insists he's always been a 'punisher of the guilty' and a child Trixie's age would be seen as innocent still, he 's just flummoxed.

So I agree, any child who had reason to be around him, he'd probably have similar reactions.  But for the sake of the show, we have Trixie as the character to exemplify this.  And like other's have said, she is a strong young actress, the writers so far have been good about NOT over using her and she has really good dynamics with the adult actors; Ellis, Graham and the actor playing her father.

Aside from investigating the little bits of circumstantial evidence that are mounting up, Detective Supermodel might just consider seriously asking Mazikeen what Lucifer's deal is, since she's the one person who's clearly been in his confidence for a good long time and from her perspective appears to be playing along with his Devil "delusion" rather than making whackaloon hand gestures behind the boss' back.

Of course, when she walked in on that tense conversation between the two of them in the earlier episode she interrupted like a sitcom neighbor and acted grossed out at the possibility of two attractive grown-ups with a 5-year history as business associates being involved sexually. Seems to me that if you actually want to figure out a mysterious person, quietly observing his interactions with someone in his inner circle might be more useful than yelling "EW, COOTIES!" and bringing the conversation between them to a screeching halt.

• Love 3

I'm getting sort of confused now because earlier on when he was all "I'm the devil" and she sort of...neither believed him, nor laughed him off, not concluded he was mentally unstable, I'd been sort of assuming it must be some weird thing related to his we're-not-calling-them-powers-but-they-sort-of-are. But part of their premise is she's not affected by him, so I get why they wouldn't want to outright say he is having some sort of satanic impact on her. It really didn't make sense how regularly he was plain about this and she sort of...didn't react at all.

So, if that's the story, if the Why she sort of just lets that slide is his Devilness, then when she got the half second glimpse of the reflection and freaked out... what does that mean? He wasn't giving her some sort acceptance voodoo before? Or just a "you can't unsee this" moment? Either she should've thought he was completely nuts by now, or there needs to be a clearer depiction of why she didn't think that before, or what she thinks instead and what she thinks now.

There's good ambiguity, where you know you're getting ambiguity and that's good and interesting, and then there's just plain unclear storytelling and we're totally landing on the latter here. It's vexing.

I'm getting sort of confused now because earlier on when he was all "I'm the devil" and she sort of...neither believed him, nor laughed him off, not concluded he was mentally unstable, I'd been sort of assuming it must be some weird thing related to his we're-not-calling-them-powers-but-they-sort-of-are. But part of their premise is she's not affected by him, so I get why they wouldn't want to outright say he is having some sort of satanic impact on her. It really didn't make sense how regularly he was plain about this and she sort of...didn't react at all.

So, if that's the story, if the Why she sort of just lets that slide is his Devilness, then when she got the half second glimpse of the reflection and freaked out... what does that mean? He wasn't giving her some sort acceptance voodoo before? Or just a "you can't unsee this" moment? Either she should've thought he was completely nuts by now, or there needs to be a clearer depiction of why she didn't think that before, or what she thinks instead and what she thinks now.

There's good ambiguity, where you know you're getting ambiguity and that's good and interesting, and then there's just plain unclear storytelling and we're totally landing on the latter here. It's vexing.

I assumed that Chloe thought the who "Devil" thing was just Lucifer's shtick and was just kind of frustrated that he refused to break character to tell how he managed to pull off the things he did.  She seemed to think there was a rational explanation for his "powers" she just hadn't figured it out yet.  I mean she did grow up in Hollywood in the business, she probably met stranger people than a guy who insists he's the devil and probably has some mentalist/hypnosis skills (which would easily explain how he gets people to tell him things).  The only thing she really couldn't rationalize away up until she saw the glimpse of his face was him getting shot, but she was bleeding profusely at the time and couldn't be 100% sure what she actually saw.

I think when she saw his reflection she was seriously freaked out which is why she shot him, but after he bled she's going to dismiss what she saw as not being real.  Though since he let her shoot him I imagine she no longer thinks that the whole devil thing is just a shtick but that Lucifer thinks he really is the devil.  So she probably does think he's mentally unstable, but since she saw the scars she also knows something really bad did actually happen to him and probably thinks the whole believing himself to be the devil is a reaction to whatever abuse he suffered.  Basically he might be crazy, but he's generally harmless, charming, and sometimes helpful (and he covered for her after she shot him) so why not cut him some slack?

Or at least that's the impression I got.  I could just be fanwanking the whole thing.

• Love 9

I assumed that Chloe thought the who "Devil" thing was just Lucifer's shtick and was just kind of frustrated that he refused to break character to tell how he managed to pull off the things he did.  but since she saw the scars she also knows something really bad did actually happen to him and probably thinks the whole believing himself to be the devil is a reaction to whatever abuse he suffered.  Basically he might be crazy, but he's generally harmless, charming, and sometimes helpful (and he covered for her after she shot him) so why not cut him some slack?

I agree. I am not sure how long it can go on but LA is a strange town. Chloe even mentioned to Trixie that Lucifer was like a magician.  Until this episode I think she saw his act as something glib that she needed to debunk / figure out... but now I think she will cut him a bit more slack assuming there is something to the abuse angle. But even that I don't think can go on for too long. 

Mazikeen what Lucifer's deal is, since she's the one person who's clearly been in his confidence for a good long time and from her perspective appears to be playing along with his Devil "delusion" rather than making whackaloon hand gestures behind the boss' back.

I feel like right now Chloe doesn't really want to admit to the world something is happening. So asking Mazikeen probably isn't something that she is willing to do just yet...  she almost rather immaturely doesn't want to ask questions because that would admit she is interested in knowing about Lucifer and she doesn't seem to want to admit that.. to herself or the world. But I could see her discovery of his scars as the "police related" reason to inquire more. 

Edited by BooBear
  • Love 1

I like this show a lot, but the one problem I am having is that every time Lucifer opens his mouth, all I can envision is the old Hanna-Barbera cartoon character Snagglepuss.

If the cravat fits...

I don't know, between Jimmy in the psych ward and that duel Lucifer set up between the paparazzi, Chloe would have to be extremely dimwitted to consider him a harmless eccentric. Then again...

As far as Lucifer pushing for something romantic between them, it seems he's already cleared the most important hurdle: Trixie clearly adores him.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1

I agree. I am not sure how long it can go on but LA is a strange town. Chloe even mentioned to Trixie that Lucifer was like a magician.  Until this episode I think she saw his act as something glib that she needed to debunk / figure out... but now I think she will cut him a bit more slack assuming there is something to the abuse angle. But even that I don't think can go on for too long. 

I'm not sure if that can go on another whole episode, depending on Lucifer's behavior. Yeah, we know his deal, but to Chloe he could be crazy. If they keep her from believing longer, than it seems she'll think he's a guy with abuse issues and zero boundaries, who she's seen can be dangerous, who may have delusions, and as a cop and a mother she should not be so chill with a guy like that breaking into her house where her young daughter (and her mom?) live and such, just trusting that he won't hurt them because for now he seems to like her. 

Edited by Gigi43

So Lucifer is becoming human?  How is that happening - is that by design (punishment for staying on earth too long), consequence (staying on earth too long or becoming friendly with humans makes you become human), or accidental (because he is starting to feel something for humans, he is becoming human), or something else?

And what happens if he is killed?  Seems like that would be a huge problem for the Underworld if his vacation is already so much of a problem.

I slow-mo'd and paused - there was indeed a very clear reflection of Lucifer in that mirror, with his devil face and glowing red eyes.  It was brief, but Chloe saw it for sure.  

See I don't understand any of this. From what I have read about angels, is that god created them before he created humans.  They are not dead people and they are not human.  They never will be human.  Oh, and they do not possess genitalia.

• Love 2

See I don't understand any of this. From what I have read about angels, is that god created them before he created humans.  They are not dead people and they are not human.  They never will be human.  Oh, and they do not possess genitalia.

I consider that artistic license...I'm not expecting this to follow "real" angel/devil constructs from the Bible or elsewhere.  Within this show, it's possible for Lucifer to become more human in some ways and to some extent, it seems.  Though it's a surprise to him, so this is a new development/possibility.  But I don't get why it's happening within the show world since it is inconsistent with Lucifer's experience on earth to date. 

• Love 1

I consider that artistic license...I'm not expecting this to follow "real" angel/devil constructs from the Bible or elsewhere.  Within this show, it's possible for Lucifer to become more human in some ways and to some extent, it seems.  Though it's a surprise to him, so this is a new development/possibility.  But I don't get why it's happening within the show world since it is inconsistent with Lucifer's experience on earth to date. 

I don't think it is inconsistent, though. Prior to the start of the show, it seems like Lucifer was all about pleasure and punishment. His 'vacation' let him experience humanity on the most shallow of levels, the supposedly 'debased' world of a louche nightclub owner. It's only meeting Chloe and getting involved in these police cases that have brought him to experience humans on a deeper level, where he actually enjoys them as a species. Of course, they're playing it a little too fast and loose by showing that he has some human friends. They'd have been much better off making him completely unaware of the fact that humans can be good people, worthy of spending time with.

If, as this episode seems to be suggesting, a human is a lesser being than an angel, but built on the same biological foundations, and Lucifer's exposure and acceptance of humans is causing him to slowly lose what he had that made him an angel, then I can buy it. 

There are certain traditions that angels and humans have gotten it on in the past and produced children.  The Nephilim are mentioned in Genisis and describe as the children of "the sons of God (a phrase generally used describe angels)" and "the daughters of men."  There's also the apocryphal book of Enoch that expands on that and tells the story of the "Watchers" the angels who got in trouble for fathering the Nephilim.  So, anyway my point I guess is that the bible itself would imply there is some sort of way for humans and angels to have sex.  Lucifer isn't exactly treading on new ground in that department.

Though it does beg the question (which someone else brought up) is the Lucifer we generally see his actual form or is he wearing a people suit?  Or is it something in between?  A version of his form that doesn't make people's head's explode?  To be honest this was the first episode I really enjoyed. The others have been watched while playing on my phone, but I do rather wish that this wasn't on FOX and it was less of a procedural.  I hope they go on to explain more angel mythology but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Proclone
  • Love 1

Meeting Chloe is when Lucifer started feeling a positive attachment to humans. His prolonged interactions with her was because he cared enough about the singer that died, to be involved in appending her killer. I believe it was asked why he cared so much or something along those lines.

He was already on the path of changing in that regards before we met him. 

• Love 2

So I am finally getting a chance to watch the episode. It's currently playing as I'm on this board.

Just wanna say first few monites .. *sigh* the ex is a douche and I don't like him. Like Trixie and her automatically hugging Lucifer. Heh.

So..opening was saved by Trixie hugging Lucifer.

Will have later thoughts.

That’s what I don’t get. They are practically bludgeoning us over the head with the idea that Chloe is somehow changing him but he was already changing when he met her. All she’s doing is playing hard to get. And it’s painfully obvious that in a few seasons, when the ratings slip because they’ve been playing the Moonlighting game for too long they will sleep together. It will probably by so magical he will give up immortality forever to be with her.

I wish they had gone against type and had Trixie be the one who is changing him. She likes him as a person. He doesn’t have to work his mind tricks on her. That should be something fairly interesting to him. He’s not used to dealing with truly innocent people, like children. It would make him and his journey a lot more interesting than him rather disgustingly trying to bed a woman who seems like she can barely stand him, and that the reason he wants to screw her is because she doesn’t want him.

Not really a fan of that, or his whole “once I sleep with a woman I lose interest in her” idea. So, the devil isn’t violent because that’s too harsh for people but being a misogynist who only sees women as sex objects is a-okay.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 1

The player party...I felt like gagging when Carver was speakijg.

The bit with the security guard was nice.

Lucifer asking advice from Carver? Seriously? At first it seemed he couldn't believe the bullshit that was coming out of the guy's mouth.

And they get kicked out.

So far the episode is OK.

Edit: Okay. Done with episode.

It didnt start off well but it got better right at the Maze and Amandiel scene. The fight was good, the dialogue and the reactions. Again the angel politics and non cop stuff makes the show interesting.

The scars scene with Lucifer and Chloe was actually good. It was an intense scene and his reaction to her trying to touch the scars was very good.

Interesting scene with Lucifer's reaction to Lindsay after the reveal. He took out her brother easily with a hit. His attitude towards Lindsay was actually interesting to watch.

Maze...Maze is gonna betray Lucifer. I feel it. For his own good in her mind probably.

All in all the first half was meh. Second half lots better.

Edited by AshleyLyn

I agree with the summary of why Chloe does not push him to found out what his deal really is!   There a reason why they call "Hollywood & LA the land of make believe".  Because its just plan weird 

I think German acting if fine.  Sure she a bit wooden.  But she acts in the old school style.  Its more a laid back style. 

They are just two "people" who find each other very interesting.  I for one hope they never bang boots!

Questions:

How did Chloe dad die?  Was it line of duty?

Where mom been all this time?

The big question is:  Why cant he influence Chloe?  Any theories on this subject? 

I assumed that Chloe thought the who "Devil" thing was just Lucifer's shtick and was just kind of frustrated that he refused to break character to tell how he managed to pull off the things he did.  She seemed to think there was a rational explanation for his "powers" she just hadn't figured it out yet.  I mean she did grow up in Hollywood in the business, she probably met stranger people than a guy who insists he's the devil and probably has some mentalist/hypnosis skills (which would easily explain how he gets people to tell him things).  The only thing she really couldn't rationalize away up until she saw the glimpse of his face was him getting shot, but she was bleeding profusely at the time and couldn't be 100% sure what she actually saw.

I think when she saw his reflection she was seriously freaked out which is why she shot him, but after he bled she's going to dismiss what she saw as not being real.  Though since he let her shoot him I imagine she no longer thinks that the whole devil thing is just a shtick but that Lucifer thinks he really is the devil.  So she probably does think he's mentally unstable, but since she saw the scars she also knows something really bad did actually happen to him and probably thinks the whole believing himself to be the devil is a reaction to whatever abuse he suffered.  Basically he might be crazy, but he's generally harmless, charming, and sometimes helpful (and he covered for her after she shot him) so why not cut him some slack?

Or at least that's the impression I got.  I could just be fanwanking the whole thing.

Edited by gwhh

Agree that Maze will betray Lucifer. Out of a misguided 'for your own good' kind of thing or out of petty spite because she misses the way things were. Either way, you can see it coming.

• Love 1

How did Chloe dad die?  Was it line of duty?

Where mom been all this time?

The big question is:  Why cant he influence Chloe?  Any theories on this subject? 

On mom, I feel like this show is taking pains not to spend money and thus, it is a very weird world that doesn't have Chloe go into the office and get assignments from her ex and also, mom is never around. But I could totally fanwank that if mom is an actress she is on set someplace.

Not sure why Chloe can't be influenced by him but I would prefer that there be nothing special about her. I would prefer that Chloe's defect be something that was pushed off on her due to dad's design or maybe some other influence. Like Lucifer was already changing when he met her and thus people with strong minds are less likely to be influenced. Or that god saw that Lucifer wouldn't return to hell without finding humanity to be worse than hell. Having Lucifer fall in love or experience humanity as a human, could send him running back to hell. As they say, hell is other people.  Or just because I don't like seeing dad as the bad guy, Dad really does feel bad about what he did to Luci and wanted to allow him to experience humanity.

• Love 1

The pickup artist may have changed towards Lindsay, but he's still making his money by priming other guys to snag their own Lindsay.  Not that much of a change of heart to me.

Well, by priming other guys to use his creepy pick-up techniques and drive any women with brains and self-respect to run in the other direction. I don't see his victims as the women these idiots are hunting so much as the "Nice Guys" who'll pay outrageous prices for his seminars, instructional DVDs and so forth because they think they're owed relationships or casual sex and want the cheat codes to get them. So, not really feeling much sympathy.

Interesting scene with Lucifer's reaction to Lindsay after the reveal. He took out her brother easily with a hit. His attitude towards Lindsay was actually interesting to watch.

I thought it was very interesting that Lucifer brought up the idea of proportional punishment, as Hell itself is the concept of over-the-top disproportionate punishment exemplified. Perhaps a hint of why he's not keen on the job of warden?

• Love 1

"Really, Chloe? I'm disappointed in you." Douchenozzle move by the douchenozzle ex.

YES. Thank you for quoting that!

When he said that to Chloe, I was all, "OH... FUCK. YOU." Such a patronizing, condescending thing for him to say to her. He's not her parent, nor does he get any say in who she sees, even if he thinks Lucifer is strange or rude. "I'm disappointed in you"? FUCK OFF, Dan.

• Love 1

I expected him to be more upset that he could be shot, not so nonchalant about it.

I thought there was a mix of things going on with him after he realized he was shot and bleeding. He definitely seemed a little freaked out at first ("How is this possible? What's happening to me?"). I think his nonchalance with Mazikeen was a cover-up. Well, on one level, anyway. I do think he finds it exhilarating, the questions and the possibilities and the exciting mystery of it all and what it could mean. But I also think that underneath it, he finds it unsettling. And if he loses all his powers, I would bet he'd find that "vexing" (and scary, if he were to admit it from deep, deep down). This is one of the most interesting parts of the series to me. This, and the human morality / behavior questions he raises in each episode. 

Why on earth did Trixie (apparently) not need a babysitter? Do people (especially cops) normally leave their 8-year-old kids home alone at night? I kept waiting for the ex to come strolling out with some snide remark, but nope.

Trixie had a baby sitter.  You see Chloe saying good night drive carefully to the woman as she shuts the door.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this show, but I do wish the writing was more consistent. Sometimes I feel like they're forcing dialogue or forcing behaviors that wouldn't really happen, all just to get their comic or dramatic moment to happen. Especially with the way they're writing Chloe. Sometimes I feel like they're dumbing her down as a cop so that Lucifer can have his moments (whether funny or dramatic). It's not flowing as well or as believably as it could. (I say, as I talk about a show involving the devil helping solve crimes. LOL.) Still, though, the good fantasy shows find ways to keep things grounded. For example, I think they did a good job of showing Chloe freaking out about believing Lucifer enough to shoot him in one moment and then seeing him bleed and realizing it was incredibly crazy of her to think otherwise. But most of her behaviors aren't that well presented.

I also don't like that they're not paying attention to their own rules. In the pilot episode, Lucifer and Delilah get shot, and Lucifer is knocked flat on his ass from the bullets. In fact, he seems to lose consciousness, because one minute they're both lying there and the next minute suddenly he's gasping awake. But then in this episode, he says bullets hitting him feel like nothing, they're an annoyance more than anything, it feels like a slap to his body and that's about it, which we also saw in the pilot when he's shot at point blank range by Jimmy Barnes (John Pankow). It seems to sting him and annoy the crap out of him, but it doesn't really seem to stop him or hurt him or affect him much at all. It doesn't knock him down like it did in the earlier scene. 

So, which is it? Before he met Chloe, was getting shot an annoyance more than anything, or was it something that could still knock him down and out of consciousness? Pick one, writers, and stick to it.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

To be fair, not getting thrown back like a ragdoll by bullets isn't just an unkillable fallen angel thing, it wouldn't happen like that to normal people getting shot either. A bullet just doesn't have that much kinetic energy or it'd be sending the shooter flying backwards as well. It's deadly because all its impact is concentrated into a very small cross-section, and it pierces the body rather than distributing its energy evenly to the whole thing.

Sure, but it's not just the body thing. It's that they've shown him gasping awake after being hit in one scene, while in other scenes he's barely even affected and he treats it like an annoyance and tells Chloe it's barely anything. So... which is it? It doesn't hurt or affect him, or it does (like it did when he was shot with Delilah)? I don't care which way they choose, I just want them to be consistent. Especially because it then makes a bigger impact when he does bleed and is much more affected by being shot by Chloe (or in any future encounters).

Sure, but it's not just the body thing. It's that they've shown him gasping awake after being hit in one scene, while in other scenes he's barely even affected and he treats it like an annoyance and tells Chloe it's barely anything. So... which is it? It doesn't hurt or affect him, or it does (like it did when he was shot with Delilah)? I don't care which way they choose, I just want them to be consistent. Especially because it then makes a bigger impact when he does bleed and is much more affected by being shot by Chloe (or in any future encounters).

Well, Chloe just grazed him once with a handgun, and when he was with Delilah, he got shot several times in more vital places by a high-powered weapon. Might be the difference between your friend punching you on the arm and a boxer punching you for realsies in the jaw.

Hee. "For realsies."

Though I do think it's still a little weird. Chloe just grazed him, but Jimmy shot him repeatedly in the back and then again at point blank range as Lucifer walked toward him to stop him. Though I suppose Jimmy's gun wasn't as high powered as the one used in the drive-by. But at point blank range, I would think any weapon would be pretty powerful.

Edited by sinkwriter

Hee. "For realsies."

Though I do think it's still a little weird. Chloe just grazed him, but Jimmy shot him repeatedly in the back and then again at point blank range as Lucifer walked toward him to stop him. Though I suppose Jimmy's gun wasn't as high powered as the one used in the drive-by. But at point blank range, I would think any weapon would be pretty powerful.

I agree about the differences.

My "break the 4th wall" explanation is the director was going for 'dramatic affect' with "OMG they were both shot and OMG!!! He's just getting up, he has super powers!"  kinda hitting the audience over the head with the idea that Luci is immortal.

My explanation keeping within story telling is Luci wasn't expecting the drive by + the combination of high powered bullets at fairly close range so it came as a complete shock/surprise.  With Jimmy, he knew Jimmy had the gun, + he was shielding Chloe + he was pissed and aware of what was happening, not surprised out on the street.

• Love 2