Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E07: Week 7

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

People who learn to type in school (or elsewhere) are taught two spaces between sentences. In typesetting, everything that is put into print for newspapers and magazines, it's one space. All double spaces will be caught by proofreaders. The two spaces between sentences isn't a law breaker if one is typing messages ... or posts online. Or messages to friends or family. But if you send an article to a magazine to be printed, the typesetter will remove all the extra spaces. No need to get upset about it.

The key to this show is for all the women to look good in bikinis, hot tubs, micro skirts. And the men, they must have worked out and look buff shirtless. All that gets a bit tougher past a certain age. Finding "love" isn't important, ratings are. And young, nearly naked women "looking for love" *cough* gets lots of press for Mr. Fleiss.

What? I always do two spaces between sentences. When did this change, and who changed it?

BTW, I seem to have reached the wall Bachelor wise. Only got to the part where Ben and Lauren were riding around in a truck which did not appear to have seat belts.

I guess Last Twin Standing and Boring Becca got the boot? Oh, I did hear him babble about Teen Mom being "astonishingly " beautiful, or some other adjective which IMO does not go with her rodenty face.

What? I always do two spaces between sentences. When did this change, and who changed it?

Has to with typography and its evolution. In the early days of typing, when all characters got the same amount of space, two spaces were necessary for ease of reading. Now that each character gets a different amount of space according to its actual width, they're no longer necessary. I don't know exactly when this occurred, but I don't think I was ever taught to use two spaces, and I started school... oh, some time ago. And as an editor now, I can vouch for the fact that yes, those extra spaces will be removed before anything goes to publication.

Back on topic, I would also be down for older casts on this show. Sure, it might be a little harder to find older people who still have those super toned bodies, but they're out there. And I can't say that it would make me sad to see a bunch of buff 40-something dudes with a little silver fox action going on.

Edited by kingshearte
  • Love 3

From the Lauren H article:

"I'd been planning on switching careers because it's literally impossible to support yourself as a teacher right now in Michigan,"

But...this new real estate job is in Alabama, so she's willing to move. She should just admit she doesn't like teaching.
  • Love 2

TomGirl's Lauren H. article was very interesting

Lauren says that after being one of the only ones to make it through several casting calls, all the final girls are felling super-confident:

"So now you're thinking everything in my life has led me to this, and now I'm definitely going to win.

How sad that they're all thinking they're living out some grand destiny. She also said it was strange to be home alone and not have someone asking, "How are you feeling?" twenty times a day. so that's why were hearing so many girls say they're sad or worried or in love. It's like when children and teens are interviewed by police and eventually start telling them what they think they want to hear.

I wish Lauren H. had addressed her "soccer Mom," comment. It was easy to read something racist in that, but, at the same, time she seemed too nice for that to be true. It could well have been in answer to "What kind of woman do you think Ben is looking for?" and had absolutely nothing to do with Jubilee. I would be horrified if I had said something on TV that was interpreted that way.

ETA:

But...this new real estate job is in Alabama, so she's willing to move. She should just admit she doesn't like teaching.

I agree. She's going to wish she had that low, but steady income some month when nobody wants to buy a house. Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 3
Has to with typography and its evolution. In the early days of typing, when all characters got the same amount of space, two space were necessary for ease of reading. Now that each character gets a different amount of space according to its actual width, they're no longer necessary. I don't know exactly when this occurred, but I don't think I was ever taught to use two spaces, and I started school... oh, some time ago. And as an editor now, I can vouch for the fact that yes, those extra spaces will be removed before anything goes to publication.

Yes. Grammar Girl has a great post about it. And it is now the recommendation from Chicago Manual of Style and AP. 

I didn't understand Ben's obsession with his glory days EIGHT years after high school. I mean I know there are guys who obsess about their days as high school football QB, starting point guard, and homecoming king, but typically they are the guys who don't go to college or go to state u, move back to the hometown and pick up whatever job is available, sit around the local diner and bar reminiscing about all the things they used to do, and end up marrying a hometown girl often a high school sweetheart or someone a few yrs younger who is totally flattered that a high school QB wants her. For Ben, he went to state u, but then moved onto a sales job in Denver -- which is a fun city and sales typically includes lots of travel which is "exciting" when you're young. And yet he's obsessing about his high school and ELEMENTARY and MIDDLE schools!? Who freaking cares??

Normally I would agree that this is super lame, but I'm going to chalk this up to producer-driven shenanigans. When the Bachelor or Bachelorette returns to his or her hometown, part of the (totally phony) narrative is about making that person look like some sort of local hero returning to his or her roots. It's silly, but I think the idea is to further infect viewers with the notion that the star is a "Catch" with a capital "C."

• Love 2
I didn't understand Ben's obsession with his glory days EIGHT years after high school.

I see it as TPTB finding Chris Soules' Midwestern boy story so endearing, they have Ben riding the shirttails of Chris. Remember they had Ben shooting hoops against a barn some weeks ago? And now the repeat of the Soules Engagement Barn? As far as I can tell, no barn or any farm anything has played a part in Ben's life in Indiana. But PAs being from California, I guess the thinking is everyone in the Midwest is all, "Yee haw, gotta go slop the hogs." And since Ben's parents are still there, he couldn't be all "Can't wait to blow out of this dirt-water town." It's all image building.

Everyone: Keep typing two spaces between sentences if you want. I'm in publishing and I just do a "search and replace" when writers send in their double-spaced sentences for print. Not a big deal. Don't worry about it. And Chicago Manual be darned, I'm an AP person.

DO worry about the incorrect use of "literally," however. These people are literally using it incorrectly! Worse is the Oxford definition of "like". The meaning I was taught has been relegated to No. 3. The people on TB apply rule No. 1 ... meaningless filler.

1. used in speech as a meaningless filler or to signify the speaker's uncertainty about an expression just used. informal. "there was this funny smell—sort of dusty like"

2. used to convey a person's reported attitude or feelings in the form of direct speech (whether or not representing an actual quotation) informal "so she comes into the room and she's like “Where is everybody?”"

3. in the manner of "like as a ship with dreadful storm long tossed"

• Love 3

I guess the thinking is everyone in the Midwest is all, "Yee haw, gotta go slop the hogs."

I guess that's why they used that banjo type music when the voiceover said they were in Ben's hometown. I even said to myself this isn't Deliverance for God's sake!
  • Love 7

Ha ha! I missed that, ByTor, I'm not one to hear background music. But TPTB do use it all the time on this show. I did hear some goofy music during Emily's rambling on to Ben's parents, so knew they were playing her for a fool just by that.

I remember someone here knowing Catherine was Sean's pick by the music played when she was on screen.

• Love 2

Birmingham actually has a pretty active housing market and a manageable cost of living, so Lauren could do really well there.  She's got the right looks for sales and seemed to have a pretty good personality.  Plus, she's got a GREAT PR hook for potential clients that are fans of the show.  You notice the article mentioned the name of the Broker she's working for.  There's a reason for that.  And obviously she's either got her license or is studying for it, so she's no slacker.  And taking another 2 months off for BIP3 this summer wouldn't be a huge hardship for her employer.  RE folks can have exceptionally flexible schedules. 

I say good for Lauren, I hope it works out for her!

• Love 5

My theory is that a lot of people just don't know WTF it means and they use it when they should be saying "figuratively", or it's just become a throwaway word, like "like", "you know", "right?", etc.  And a side note from the Grammar Nazi - when did we start being excited "for" , bored "of", and embarrassed "of" things. Shouldn't it be "about", "with", and "by" respectively, or is that just regional vernacular (I don't hear those phrases within my little sphere of influence, but they're all over television and Al Gore's Internet)?

MAJOR pet peeve of mine. It's not regional vernacular, it's just plain wrong.

There was an add for veneers on TV awhile back where the happy customer said her children were "embarrassed of her teeth." It drove me crazy! Ben does it frequently, too. 

Saber and Kingsheart, I am constantly replacing double spaces with single in my editing job, too. Computers account for the extra space, but some old-schoolers don't know that.

BTW, Al really did help create the Internet, legislatively speaking (he never said "invent").

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2

Ha ha! I missed that, ByTor, I'm not one to hear background music. But TPTB do use it all the time on this show. I did hear some goofy music during Emily's rambling on to Ben's parents, so knew they were playing her for a fool just by that.

Another (relatively minor, however) irritant of this show for me (I'm really on a rant in this thread - I promise I'm not a miserable person IRL) - apparently wherever we are/whatever we see needs to be reinforced by the soundtrack. Rural area/farm-based contestant competition = shit kicker twangy music, outtakes/crazy girl = plucky violin and staccato oboe cartoon music, rose ceremony/general drama = Wagner-esque dramatic music, and of course the ubiquitous music-from-whatever-country-we're in.  And God help us if there's a song that can be tied in to someone, e.g., pilot Jake Pavelka and "On The Wings of Love" crowbarrred into pretty much every ep.

That's just me, though.  Probably a lot of people don't pick up on or care about that kind of minutiae.  My GF doesn't even notice until I point it out. Every episode. The woman has the patience of a saint.

• Love 3

Well then, cancel what I posted about the Real Estate market and Lauren, because I was totally assuming Alabama.  *ROFL*

A Google on Jeff Glover Real Estate looks like he's a big player in the Detroit area.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I love Emily! Is she kind of young? Yes. Absolutely. She was also fun, honest, open-hearted caring and genuine. I loved that she was so honest about herself. It takes a lot of guts to be who you are in a situation like that. When Ben let her go, she was poised, calm and went out with class. Once she figures out what she wants to do with her life and how to sell herself (couldn't agree with you more there, JMonkey), she will get far.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching Emily.  I felt very bad that she had the impromptu "meet the parents" date and I felt that Ben's mom's tears were really over the top. On the other hand, I think that Ben chose Emily for this date because he had doubts.  He went home for a gut check.  He knew she wasn't the one and he knew his mom would give it to him straight.

It has been obvious to me for awhile that Lauren B is going to be Ben's pick for F1.  This week sealed that for me. On her date, he introduced her to a very important part of his life. He hung out with her at a hometown bar and introduced her to some of his friends.  He genuinely integrated her into his life on this date.  It was very telling.

JoJo is one of my favorites because she is so self aware and seems to have her head on straight. Even though they are "fighting" for the same guy, she was incredibly sweet with Emily and seemed genuinely upset when Emily didn't get to have the full one-on-one experience.  She listens to Ben and has been one of his go-to people during this process.  I think he genuinely likes JoJo...but he likes Lauren B more... and it's really obvious.

Caila is beautiful and I think there is a lot more to her but for whatever reason, that's not transferring on tv.  Up until this episode, she was so one-note.  Super pretty and smiley, but seemed to have not much else going on. Not empty-headed, exactly but more or less trying to be a mirror of what Ben wanted her to be. I mean, did we ever really get to know Caila?  It was really good to see her show some real emotion in this episode.

Amanda bugs the shit out of me. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Olivia's "Teen Mom" comment might not have been that far off.

I knew Becca was going to be rose fodder.

• Love 7

I really like Emily too! Yes, she seems a bit young for her age, not that she's old in numbers either, but there's something so genuine about her. She's just being herself, for better and for worse, kind of like a child. It's endearing and makes my maternal instinct kick in somehow, even though I'm not maternal at all usually. I was sad to see her go, even though she obviously wasn't right for Ben. I also thought his mom was bordering on rude with her reaction. Maybe she thought Emily was Ben's number one at that time, since he brought her over and that's why she panicked.

It's so obvious Ben is gaga over Lauren. I feel bad for the others, because they can see it, yet Ben tries to convince them that they still have a shot. I know it's his job, but I just hate it when people's common sense kicks in inside the Bachelor bubble and then they're dragged back into the delusion. Run JoJo, run!

I also thought JoJo's date was pretty boring and lonely. Can't imagine spending a whole day at some windy stadium. I'm sure they could've found some other place to have a dinner at in Chicago.

Caila is so annoying. She worries about the most trivial things and can't give a straight answer to any question. I just get the sense that her life has been very easy and she's always been the best at everything. Well I'm afraid men are pretty simple creatures and aren't looking for a woman whose thoughts they can't even begin to follow. A little mystery may be intriguing, but she's just OTT.

Amanda and her frozen face and squeaky voice can just go.

I feel bad for Becca, because she got used to Chris pursuing her even though she was barely interested, and now that she actually was into Ben, he just wasn't feeling it. Must sting, but that's what she signed up for. I like that she told him that she'd rather go now than later if he was unsure, even though she seemed pissed about it at first. 

• Love 4

Lauren B. has this in the bag. I'm surprised that Ben is giving JoJo so much reassurance about letting her guard down -- on one hand, it seems unfair because she might be reading into it, and assuming this means that she's it. On the other, I'm guessing that this is the excuse Ben needs to let her go, and choose Lauren B. as his F1.

That's one thing that does bother me about this show -- the dishonesty about why certain girls need to be 'let go' as opposed to the truth: that the lead just likes someone else better. That's the one thing that struck me in Ben's PEOPLE blog about the episode. In his blog, he said that all his "questions" about Lauren B. were resolved during their date and he had no lingering doubts about her, but that with JoJo, he felt she was being guarded and needed her to open up, still had questions, etc. But JoJo, as far as I can tell, has never given him much of a reason to doubt her in the first place (with Lauren B., at least there was that whole Leah situation). So more than anything, I felt the Bachelor boilerplate "she needs to let her walls down!" language was used as an out for Ben to choose Lauren B. in the end. 

But I wish they could just tell it like it is, without the excuses of X being too guarded, Y being too immature, Z being too moody, etc. The lead is just not that into some girls, and that's alright to say.

• Love 5

I also thought JoJo's date was pretty boring and lonely. Can't imagine spending a whole day at some windy stadium. I'm sure they could've found some other place to have a dinner at in Chicago.

I was thinking the same thing, I know it was a big deal for Ben but how boring for her for everything to be there, especially when she's not even into baseball. She seemed to enjoy it but it did seem odd to be there all day. When I saw the table I was thinking poor JoJo. Dinner out someplace would have been a good contrast to the lonnng day at the empty stadium.

Although come to think of it maybe when you've been living with a bunch of relative strangers for weeks and don't get much time with your "he could be my husband," having that much alone time might be welcome. (Plus of course there's various staff and camera crews all over the place so it's not like they're really alone).

Lauren B. has this in the bag. I'm surprised that Ben is giving JoJo so much reassurance about letting her guard down -- on one hand, it seems unfair because she might be reading into it, and assuming this means that she's it. On the other, I'm guessing that this is the excuse Ben needs to let her go, and choose Lauren B. as his F1.

That's one thing that does bother me about this show -- the dishonesty about why certain girls need to be 'let go' as opposed to the truth: that the lead just likes someone else better. That's the one thing that struck me in Ben's PEOPLE blog about the episode. In his blog, he said that all his "questions" about Lauren B. were resolved during their date and he had no lingering doubts about her, but that with JoJo, he felt she was being guarded and needed her to open up, still had questions, etc. But JoJo, as far as I can tell, has never given him much of a reason to doubt her in the first place (with Lauren B., at least there was that whole Leah situation). So more than anything, I felt the Bachelor boilerplate "she needs to let her walls down!" language was used as an out for Ben to choose Lauren B. in the end. 

But I wish they could just tell it like it is, without the excuses of X being too guarded, Y being too immature, Z being too moody, etc. The lead is just not that into some girls, and that's alright to say.

I agree!  The thing that strikes me as odd, is that everyone knows going into this that even if you get chosen as F1, the odds are not in your favor for having it work out in the long haul.  So, opening up... putting walls down, etc. has always been a piss-poor excuse for letting someone go, imho.  I don't think you can get that "deep" anyway for the amount of time that they actually get to spend collectively with the Bachelor.

I will say that I think Ben has done a pretty good job of letting girls go as the season has progressed.  

We never see them actually eat any food on the dates but they must eat something at some point since some dates are half the day and into the night. So do they eat actual food off camera at some point? I've seen them sip the alcohol that's in front of them but never touch the food. They obviously change clothes and stuff midway through the dates so maybe they eat then too? Anyone know?

We never see them actually eat any food on the dates but they must eat something at some point since some dates are half the day and into the night. So do they eat actual food off camera at some point? I've seen them sip the alcohol that's in front of them but never touch the food. They obviously change clothes and stuff midway through the dates so maybe they eat then too? Anyone know?

The reality part of Reality TV is that long stretches, even hours, are spent off-camera while lighting, sound and camera setups are done.  This is one reason the talking head interviews seem so silly as the participants are plucked off the frontline just as their adrenaline begins to flow and asked to do a mostly pointless 'today we are doing XYZ activity' intro.  It's also why there are so many continuity errors with the show cast wearing tomorrow's outfit talking about today's events or vice versa.  The time-space continuum is in grave danger on The Bachelor.

In the case of the food it's mostly/entirely a prop...an excuse to get the couple to sit down (always at 90 deg angle so both can face the camera and each other as opposed to opposite sides of the table as many (most?) normal people would do to converse.  All politicians and celebrities are advised never to be photographed or filmed while eating...it simply isn't a good look and the potential for disastrous and embarrassing images is immense.  The food itself quickly becomes inedible, even dangerously so, after sitting idle under hot lights and the elements.  This was also a complaint on the Downton Abbey set where 'dinner' involved 8+ hours of shooting.  Unfortunately for the Downton cast, they had no choice but to partake.

• Love 3

I don't see a connection between Ben and JoJo; to me, they just seem like buddies. Then again, I don't really see any connection with Amanda or Caila either.

Amanda sounds so much like Emily Maynard. Except I think Amanda's voice might be even more high pitched - if that's even possible.

Does anyone else think that JoJo looks a little bit like Isla Fisher?

Yes to the Isla Fisher and to the lack of connection. I do think JoJo is his pal, he has the hots for Caila, IDK does he feel sorry for Amanda, or maybe admires that she's raising kids, who knows with her but I see nothing there. It's painfully obvious the only one that he has true romantic interest in is Lauren.

I have enjoyed this season because of how unable Ben is to hid his feelings. It amuses me to no end.

• Love 1

Yes to the Isla Fisher and to the lack of connection. I do think JoJo is his pal, he has the hots for Caila, IDK does he feel sorry for Amanda, or maybe admires that she's raising kids, who knows with her but I see nothing there. It's painfully obvious the only one that he has true romantic interest in is Lauren.

I have enjoyed this season because of how unable Ben is to hid his feelings. It amuses me to no end.

I think he has the 'hots' for JoJo, as well, as he has always seemed very attracted to her. I get what you mean about the 'pals' vibe they have going on, but I think, if this were real life, JoJo would be the female friend he'd gladly date/hook up with, if given the opportunity. Whereas, with certain girls (Lauren H., for one), that they were strictly friend-zoned, with zero possibility of even a real physical attraction developing. The fact that he's gaga over Lauren B. makes it seem like JoJo is just a buddy, but I think if we subtracted Lauren B. from the equation, Ben would be more than happy to have a go at it with JoJo.

Edited by lavenderpenguin
  • Love 1

Right -  there was one season (I don't have the memory like most people here do, I have no idea which B it was)   that the Bachelor said things like  - I have a stronger connection to others here, and our relationships is not moving forward as much as another relationship is.    Those seem like honest statements, but still left the rejected women feeling like they SHOULD have been more forward or more "open". Basically he was saying "you're OK, but I like someone else."  Simple and to the point.  You don't always know why you like someone, sometimes there's an attraction that defies logic. (Jake and Vienna).

The excuses that someone is "guarded"  or "has walls up"   are just stupid.   Of COURSE someone is guarded -  they are actually expected to be open and vulnerable enough to say "I want to marry you if you pick me over the others".   In the real world, outside of reality TV, most men would run away from a woman who said she was ready to marry him after they've only been on two real dates.  

Edited by backformore

That's one thing that does bother me about this show -- the dishonesty about why certain girls need to be 'let go' as opposed to the truth: that the lead just likes someone else better. That's the one thing that struck me in Ben's PEOPLE blog about the episode. In his blog, he said that all his "questions" about Lauren B. were resolved during their date and he had no lingering doubts about her, but that with JoJo, he felt she was being guarded and needed her to open up, still had questions, etc. But JoJo, as far as I can tell, has never given him much of a reason to doubt her in the first place (with Lauren B., at least there was that whole Leah situation). So more than anything, I felt the Bachelor boilerplate "she needs to let her walls down!" language was used as an out for Ben to choose Lauren B. in the end.

Speaking of dumb Bachelor reasons for getting kicked to the curb, can anyone explain why Caila thought she was a goner because she didn't grow up in one certain town? She and nearly everyone else on the planet who was raised in the military life, for example. Granted, I haven't understood most of what comes out of her empty head but she lost me on that particular soliloquy.

• Love 2

Speaking of dumb Bachelor reasons for getting kicked to the curb, can anyone explain why Caila thought she was a goner because she didn't grow up in one certain town? She and nearly everyone else on the planet who was raised in the military life, for example. Granted, I haven't understood most of what comes out of her empty head but she lost me on that particular soliloquy.

I'm sure that was a producer getting into her head. She was probably asked questions like "does it make you feel inadequate that you don't have strong ties to your community like Ben does?" and told to answer in full sentences.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

Off topic, but it's funny how so many of us are editors--me, too! Yes, one space after periods. But, more importantly, use the Oxford comma, people!

Do you really want to start that debate? (For the record, I am also pro-Oxford comma. But I'm also inherently pacifist, and this debate can lead to blows.)

• Love 2

I think it's because Ben's been feeding into this All-American golden boy image all season and part of that narrative are his strong ties to his hometown, Warsaw. It's a bit ridiculous considering that he doesn't live there anymore, but regardless, I think it's a part of this wholesome, small town (ish) vibe he's been channeling, and someone like Caila (who has moved around, likely doesn't have "strong" ties to any particular place, and isn't about 'small town values') doesn't fit that mold. 

I think it's because Ben's been feeding into this All-American golden boy image all season and part of that narrative are his strong ties to his hometown, Warsaw. It's a bit ridiculous considering that he doesn't live there anymore, but regardless, I think it's a part of this wholesome, small town (ish) vibe he's been channeling, and someone like Caila (who has moved around, likely doesn't have "strong" ties to any particular place, and isn't about 'small town values') doesn't fit that mold. 

• Love 1