Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: All Aboard!

• Start Topic

Agree.  And remember "we only see a small portion of their lives..."   

My issue is the adult portions served to the kids and for that matter to Jen and Bill!  Order children's portions or an adult portion and a couple of plates.  What a waste of money and food.  I had to laugh when I saw Will with Bill's credit card in the arcade.

Very true. But while it is certainly their $$ to waste, I can't justify the waste which from what I've seen could be considerable. IF it is being wasted, that is. Hopefully they're doing what they can and taking home what they don't finish [although that doesn't work with milkshakes etc]. Personally I love the little jolt of surprise I get when I open the fridge door, on a quest for something to sling together for supper, and spy the neatly-packaged remains of a previous good time waiting for me. My vote for Best Leftover Ever? Pork-fried rice - ALWAYS better the second time around, no matter how delicious it was on the first go-round.

• Love 5

So if you are a little person you should order one meal and share? By the same logic, an obese person should order two meals and eat them both?

Geez, really?  

And a lot of restaurants will not allow an adult to order from the kids menu which, as someone pointed out, usually consists of mac and cheese or chicken fingers. Blech.

• Love 7

No. Here's the quote.

My issue is the adult portions served to the kids and for that matter to Jen and Bill!  Order children's portions or an adult portion and a couple of plates.

The original poster specifically referenced that it was inappropriate for all of them, including Jen and Bill, to be ordering adult servings.

• Love 4

They don't have to "get them" to eat healthy foods. Zoey and Will have shown that they love their veggies, and they're not picky eaters at all. Remember how excited Will was at the grocery store when they bought baby carrots? Will even wanted the large bag. In my opinion they're fed healthy food the majority of the time, with a treat on special days.

Well, in the ep where the family went to Grand Central Station with Bill's Mom (the ep where they said she was meeting Zoey for the first time), & they went to lunch together, they did mention finding out at lunch that Will apparently doesn't like pickles. So Will's apparently a little picky.

• Love 1

No. Here's the quote.

The original poster specifically referenced that it was inappropriate for all of them, including Jen and Bill, to be ordering adult servings.

The kids sure but I wouldn't be surprised if Bill at least has similar nutritional requirements of an average sized adult male. Little people often pack on a lot of muscle mass on a smaller frame which can burn through more calories than you would think. Besides no one should actually be eating most restaurant portion regardless of their size. Portions at American restaurants are frequently twice what the actual recommended calorie intake per meal is for anyone.

I also wonder if in some of the meal out if some of the food is also for the crew. Or at least its planned for them to help Zoe eat her fries.  I know I would feel bad if I went to a restaurant and sat their eating while some else just had to sit there and watch.

• Love 1

I suspect Bill was paid by Conagra to help market Manwich. Another infomercial via The LIttle Couple. I think the title of the show All Aboard should refer to all the product placements hopping on The Little Couple bandwagon.

Edited by Snow8585
  • Love 2

Then they are over ordering on TLC's tab. Still wasteful. And showing their kids that it is ok to order huge amounts of food.

It's TLC's problem then. And we're back to are Bill and Jen required to share entrees instead of each ordering what they like as they are little people and must always share a restaurant meal rather than each enjoy their own dinner they might not finish? Are they required to loudly state when ordering children's meals that their children are *little* and must have smaller portions?

I mean, realistically, this is one of those issues all little people face - portions are likely to always be too big. The wastefulness is on the part of the restaurants, who tend to giant size portions to begin with and the idea that you're being wasteful and don't clean your plate despite already being full.

• Love 5

I do not see TLC crew ordering the food. I see Bill ordering two milkshakes, burgers, fries, etc so it falls back on the parents--Jen and Biill-- who make a point of sharing info on the difficulties of being a little person and one would think--since they claim their show is educational--that they would try to set an example. Again, I believe Jen tries but Bill, no.

• Love 1

Is the restaurant's name listed at the end of the show? Is the meal being filmed? If so, then TLC is paying and choosing where they eat. 

eta - We don't specifically KNOW that Manwich was paying TLC or the Kleins for advertising but its clearly understood that it's happening so the idea that there's more going on than what is specifically said - I mean, I never saw the Kleins specifically say "this is an infomercial for Manwich" but it appears to be understood DESPITE the lack of verbal indicators.

Is every meal depicted with milk shakes, burgers and fries? Is every meal meant to be an example? And are Bill and Jen *required* to share entrees as they are little or else be accused of being wasteful? Are we certain this particular restaurant had a children's menu? Are we certain the milk shakes, burgers and fries were devoured? (Yup, I know Will likes to chow down, did he and Zoey clean their adult portioned plates and milkshakes on screen or not?)

The issue I have here is that since Bill and Jen are little people, they are being *wasteful* if they order separate meals and should always be splitting one entrée as two little people together aren't allowed to each order a meal and perhaps not finish either. And if Bill was ordering, then is Bill required at every meal to make the pronouncement "My children are little so portion accordingly!"?

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 3

What's the lesson? The world isn't suited for little people and they must spend every waking moment justifying their every action to everyone they come in contract with and allow themselves to be treated as less than? Awesome. Plenty of people order a meal for themselves and their child knowing full well neither meal will be fully consumed. Where's the demands they order kids meals or share?

• Love 6

I think adults and children have every right to have their own plate of food. Just because they are little people does not mean they should be made to share the same meal.

My kids were not little people and did not eat all their food but it would never occur to me to make them share a meal. They wanted their own food. And drink. It is disrespectful to treat two little people kids like they are one regular size child. Talk about psychological issues... "No Will, you must order a hot dog and share it with Zoey." "But Dad, I want a burger!" "No Will, we must not waste $5.50 on a burger". Same thing for milk shakes.

Not a battle to pick with kids. It you pick these kinds of battles with children, what are you going to do when real issues come up? Like driving too fast, not studying, real issues parents every face?

And I cannot eat all my food (massive restaurant portions, hello!) and I don't take my leftovers home. I don't need to hear a lecture about food waste.

People who go on and on about portion size can cause eating disorders. I am familiar with the issue. And that's all I have to say about food.

• Love 8

Plenty of people waste a ton of money on stuff I don't agree with. Alcohol and cigarettes? Huge wastes of money. Smart phones, flat screen TVs, constant trips to sporting events or amusement parks? IMO, huge wastes of money. And then there's me. I fully admit, I buy 80% of my meals prepared. Either stopping and buying something on my way to work for breakfast or on the way home for dinner, usually both. I pay my bills in full with certain exceptions like when I put a new couch, love seat, ottoman, and mattress/box spring set on my Discover and then promptly spent a ton of money on much needed clothes the month later. Yeah, that little shopping bonanza took me a few months to pay off since I didn't want to pull money from savings. I have multiple Coach purses and more are always catching my eye. I sure as hell don't need the 25 pairs of shoes I have or the half dozen $300 diamond necklaces I can't even wear anymore since my MS has left me unable to do the clasps. Sure, I could sell  them for a fraction of what I paid, but why? I make a fraction of the money Jen and Bill do and I don't feel the need to justify my every purchase to people not involved with my finances. 

• Love 12

I really think this all comes down to how you were raised, really. I wouldn't expect two people to share a meal unless they both agreed to do that. Must admit tho that due to my upbringing, I have always been conscious of waste because that was something my parents modeled growing up. Anyone remember the old chestnut" your eyes were bigger than your tummy"? We heard that a lot growing up.

Bill and Jen have money to burn, apparently, and it's none of my business how they burn it, but I must admit to a certain "discomfort" felt watching those two milkshakes being bought along with the hamburger and serving platter portion of fries for little Zoey. But that's just me and the way i was raised.

One time years ago we were out for breakfast and my son wanted jumbo shrimp on skewers with some ridiculous appetizer thing.10:00 in the morning. I said no and pointed to his choices on the children's menu which i thought were age and time of day appropriate. My brother thought i was being "cheap" but it was more me patterning my Mother, I guess. I just couldn't allow him to order a twenty-five dollar meal that i knew he would pick at and leave most of there on the plate.

Should add i am also the "starving children in Africa" generation. .lol

I think it's just different value systems and how you were raised. Jen and Bill dont seem to me to have ever had to worry that there wouldn't be enough money for food.

They can afford to give their kids whatever they ask for and have decided that is how they will raise them. Their money, their choice in how they spend it.

Not my way,but i don't have any vested interest in how their kids turn out, either.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 6
Then they are over ordering on TLC's tab. Still wasteful. And showing their kids that it is ok to order huge amounts of food.

I'm not sure that you can order a 1/4 of a hot dog or a 4 ounce milkshake.  Most restaurants have standard portions so you get what they serve.

I can never finish what is served, either. But I take it home for myself or the dog.  We don't know if that's the case with Bill and Jen; it's certainly possible.  Again, nobody needs to see very mundane second of their day.

• Love 4

Strongly disagree. In a world full of starving people and diminishing resources, we ALL should have to justify it when we waste food. Whether we can afford it or not.

But as I said, we don't know waste is happening. I do suspect there is some waste, purely because Bill & Jen are so completely accustomed to leaving food on their plates, of not being able to finish restaurant meals etc. I don't think it even occurs to them that it's waste, just life as they've always known it.

• Love 3

Bill and Jen have been little people all their lives. To say they shouldn't order what they want in a restaurant because they are little people doesn't compute with me. Because of their dwarfism, they have seen more doctors than we can imagine. They, like everyone else, know their own bodies better than anyone. I'm sure they are well aware of their own nutritional needs.

On the cakegate episode, there was a lot of chatter that the kiddos were not getting enough to eat because they had a big serving of broccoli and and other things. I don't want to stir that up again.

My point is, cakegate was a meal at home and I think that is probably a typical meal at Klein/Arnold house. I'm willing to guess that the kiddos eat plenty of nutritional food since their mother is a pediatrician and both parents grew up with little people food needs as well.

• Love 4

OMG, now we're arguing over what ADULTS are allowed to order and eat.  

I mean come on folks.  we've hit the bottom of the bitch barrel and are digging for reasons to complain.

You said it better than I did.

• Love 7

I don't believe Bill and Jen should have to order from the children's menu for themselves. I don't believe they should have to order one adult meal and share it either. Even if the restaurant permits this - and most don't. I do think they should order the kids' meals from the children's menu however. From what we've seen, I think both Will and Zoey could pretty easily knock off a typical children's portion. These kids are great eaters overall. And Zoey's not-liking the spicy sushi? SO normal. Pre-schoolers are notorious for disliking highly-seasoned foods. And due to the ridiculous portion sizes in many US restaurants today, I don't think either Bill or Jen should feel obliged to clean their plates in one sitting either. I do think that they should take home anything they don't finish however, and possibly give a little more thought to what they order out for themselves and the kids.

IMO, who pays for these meals is irrelevant. If good edible food goes in the trash on a regular basis, it's avoidable waste.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

I think they should order whatever they want (like we ALL do), eat whatever they want, throw away whatever they want, take home whatever they want.   I don't care who is paying for it. I don't care if the kids order an entire pizza just for them and eat 2 pieces.

Just because I like the show doesn't mean I get a say in how, what or how much they fucking eat. 

• Love 13

Well, in the ep where the family went to Grand Central Station with Bill's Mom (the ep where they said she was meeting Zoey for the first time), & they went to lunch together, they did mention finding out at lunch that Will apparently doesn't like pickles. So Will's apparently a little picky.

I wouldn't judge whether or not Will is picky on his dislike of pickles.  That's quite a sour taste for a young child. 

• Love 4

Picky eating isn't a negative comment. Most of us have lived through picky eaters.

Someone above mentioned reaching into the bottom of the bitch barrel and that made me honestly laugh out loud. But i think reaching into the bottom of the saccharine barrel happens more often than the other. YMMV

• Love 2

I don't believe Bill and Jen should have to order from the children's menu for themselves. I don't believe they should have to order one adult meal and share it either. Even if the restaurant permits this - and most don't. I do think they should order the kids' meals from the children's menu however. From what we've seen, I think both Will and Zoey could pretty easily knock off a typical children's portion. These kids are great eaters overall. And Zoey's not-liking the spicy sushi? SO normal. Pre-schoolers are notorious for disliking highly-seasoned foods. And due to the ridiculous portion sizes in many US restaurants today, I don't think either Bill or Jen should feel obliged to clean their plates in one sitting either. I do think that they should take home anything they don't finish however, and possibly give a little more thought to what they order out for themselves and the kids.

IMO, who pays for these meals is irrelevant. If good edible food goes in the trash on a regular basis, it's avoidable waste.

I've worked in a restaurant kitchen.  Are you aware of how much food a restaurant throws away?  The amount not eaten by the Klein-Arnolds is miniscule.

• Love 2

I've worked in a restaurant kitchen.  Are you aware of how much food a restaurant throws away?  The amount not eaten by the Klein-Arnolds is miniscule.

Yes, I have worked in food service. And yes, the amount of waste is truly appalling. But that doesn't change the fact that we should all be doing what we can to minimize waste. In fact, it provides even more reason. And not ordering more than one can eat or would want to eat in one sitting is a good start.

Using your logic, we shouldn't really be concerned about innocent children being gunned down in inner city gang gun battles, because they are so many of them already. Trying to protect kids really won't help, and saving one more kid would only be a drop in the bucket.

Ordering from the children's menu is based on age not size!  Appetizers suit smaller appetites.

Not always. I don't want an appetizer as my meal. If I want an entree that comes with sides, I will order what I want, eat what I want, and given the distance home, have the leftovers boxed up.

This conversation gives me a very, very small idea of what Jen & Bill have gone through during their lives. Despite how successful they are......more so than many, many "regular" size humans, even the most simple decisions they make are criticized. It makes me very sad to think of how hard life must be/have been for them, but I feel better when I watch the show and see just how happy they are as a family. IMO, Bill and Jen have proven their intelligence and I feel quite confident that Will & Zoey will grow up happy and successful, knowing how loved they are by their parents, grandparents, family, friends, and the majority of the viewers. I am amazed at their progress in such a short time, not to mention being adopted so close in time. Jen & Bill are wonderful parents, as evidenced by the show.

• Love 8

What's the lesson? The world isn't suited for little people and they must spend every waking moment justifying their every action to everyone they come in contract with and allow themselves to be treated as less than? Awesome. Plenty of people order a meal for themselves and their child knowing full well neither meal will be fully consumed. Where's the demands they order kids meals or share?

I'm totally wasteful then because I never can eat a full restaurant portion. I never made my children clean their plates. Sometimes, we left the food and didn't take it home. I don't care what other people think. Even if someone else is paying, I do not clean my plate, nor do I expect guests that I treat to clean theirs. That would be rude and quite frankly, a horrible example to children. Patrons cannot determine the portion size of restaurant's meals.

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 2

Strongly disagree. In a world full of starving people and diminishing resources, we ALL should have to justify it when we waste food. Whether we can afford it or not.

But as I said, we don't know waste is happening. I do suspect there is some waste, purely because Bill & Jen are so completely accustomed to leaving food on their plates, of not being able to finish restaurant meals etc. I don't think it even occurs to them that it's waste, just life as they've always known it.

I don't think my leftovers at a restaurant can be served to a starving person, and I can't control the portions. I also do not believe restaurants can serve leftover food to anyone. I just do not see how one thing affects the other.

• Love 5

The good news is that I feel confident that Will's teacher or teachers at school monitor what he eats to some degree.

No, they will not. Will is allowed to eat what his parents send or what is provided to every other student. This would come very close to giving food a negative label and possibly cause an eating disorder. Only Jen & Bill have the right to make this decision.

• Love 7

I suspect Bill was paid by Conagra to help market Manwich. Another infomercial via The LIttle Couple. I think the title of the show All Aboard should refer to all the product placements hopping on The Little Couple bandwagon.

I believe the sponsors pay the network.

Yes, I have worked in food service. And yes, the amount of waste is truly appalling. But that doesn't change the fact that we should all be doing what we can to minimize waste. In fact, it provides even more reason. And not ordering more than one can eat or would want to eat in one sitting is a good start.

Using your logic, we shouldn't really be concerned about innocent children being gunned down in inner city gang gun battles, because they are so many of them already. Trying to protect kids really won't help, and saving one more kid would only be a drop in the bucket.

But your beef should be with the vendors who choose the size of their portions, and do not offer smaller portions of everything on the menu. The Kleins are eating out like the rest of us. We order what we want, eat what we can, and make the decision what to do with the leftovers.

• Love 3

Why should we all do what we can to minimize restaurant food waste?  Can you give me a specific example of who will benefit if I don't waste restaurant food?  It's not like they can take to a shelter or give it to the needy.  They throw away extra food anyway.  So who would benefit?

Didn't we all hear our parents say to finish our dinner because there were children starving Africa?  One does relate to another.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 1

My comments were about food waste in general, not specifically restaurant food. But since you asked...

I am not saying people should order less when they visit a restaurant - so that unsold food can be donated at the end of the day. I am saying that everyone should think about how much they really want, how much they truly feel like eating at that time. And if they're ordering for children, they should be ordering what they know the child can realistically finish. Then they should order what they want, enjoy their meals and if there are leftovers, take them home. Ordering a 32-ounce milkshake for a 4-year old child who happens to be the size of a 2-year old child is undeniably wasteful.

FYI - in the past many things left at the end of the day, or past a specific period of time, were required to be landfilled by restaurants, grocery stories, bakeries etc. But now much of it can and is being donated to homeless shelters, food banks, community pantries etc. Obviously restaurants are not donating food left on patrons' plates however. I thought this went without saying, but I am stating it here to be clear, since this was the way some posters have intrepreted earlier comments of mine.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

I can see both sides. I know with little kids it's hard when one gets something and the other doesn't. Especially when it isn't a birthday where typically one would get a present and the other wouldn't. That being said, I thought they were too young to really get bowling and the arcade. 

I do agree 1 hour feels too long. I fell asleep during this episode. 

As someone who sucked her thumb until she was in kindergarten, thumb sucking in older kids doesn't phase me. It was school peer pressure that got me to stop. A kid dropped a heavy toy on me and I cried and sucked my thumb and was teased for it so I stopped, but I remember it was a hard habit to break and the methods employed by my parents didn't really work. I wouldn't do it until I was ready. 

I missed later in the episode so I didn't see that Judy and Dave were back in the upstairs apartment, but just because it is furnished doesn't mean it is being lived in. They may have bought the furniture in anticipation of the nanny moving in, or renting it to some college kid in the area or as a place for family when they come to stay.

And they have changed their furniture in their home so most likely it's just been in the upstairs apartment.

IN reference to the eating of it all. Bill has stated that he eats like an average sized person while Jen does not. So he has to be extremely careful with how much and what he eats. During the restaurant portion, her was clearly holding back whil Jen and the kids kept eating. He describes Jens secret to eating whatever she wants is she doesn't eat a lot. I thought initially they fed Will way to much and then Zoey as well and it was very wasteful. I remember when they were setting up the first train set under the Christmas tree and Jen made PB&J sandwiches in this thick gourmet bread and instead of making one sandwich and giving them each a half they had whole sandwiches. But, you learn as you go. They always referenced how they hadn't gotten access to food whenever they wanted it in the orphanages so maybe they just wanted to compensate. Whatever the case, I think we are all wasteful from time to time.

• Love 2

Very true. But while it is certainly their $$ to waste, I can't justify the waste which from what I've seen could be considerable. IF it is being wasted, that is. Hopefully they're doing what they can and taking home what they don't finish [although that doesn't work with milkshakes etc].

I do actually take milkshakes home for leftovers - haha! ;)

I take them home and have it for breakfast the next morning lol 

Obviously the ice cream melts even if sitting in the fridge but it kinda turns into a more smoothie texture

• Love 1

Ya'll, seriously ... state your point and move on.  This is how these things get blown out of proportion in TLC ...

We all base life on our OWN experiences, not the experience of others.  We form opinions because of how we were raised, or whatever.  It doesn't make it wrong or right.  It just is.

ALLOW other people to have their OWN opinions, even if they are detrimental to your standards.  As long as people are snarking on the show and not each other, there isn't a thing we can do.

Constantly stating the same thing over and over again just because your point isn't being "heard" is not a nice way to be civil to each other here on PTV.

Please don't be sarcastic with each other, please don't signal each other out, and please oh please, stay on TOPIC.

If you have a serious issue with another poster, please handle your dirty laundry via PM, that is what it's there for.  If someone does something in a PM, you can report it and we can take care of it.

Thank you ...

ETA ... profanity is allowed here on PTV.  Just for the record.

• Love 4

I do actually take milkshakes home for leftovers - haha! ;)

I take them home and have it for breakfast the next morning lol 

Obviously the ice cream melts even if sitting in the fridge but it kinda turns into a more smoothie texture

Glad to hear it - that's great. Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience with milkshakes. The few times I didn't finish one, it morphed into something VERY thick and gluey in the fridge. Quite nasty and undrinkable. Of course I haven't had one for probably 35 years now - maybe the tech has changed? LOL. 

• Love 1

I have made my fair share of milkshakes at my local restaurant!  Into a stainless steel cup, add whole milk, 2 heaping scoops of ice cream and a squirt of chocolate/vanilla/strawberry fountain syrup and secure onto the mixer.  We didn't add whipped cream or cherries on our milkshakes like the ones served to Zoey.  

• Love 2