Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: All Aboard!

• Start Topic

Best episode. I love seeing adults genuinely cracking up bc of something a child says. I think there was an instance for each adult tonight, maybe minus Jen's mom.

Bill's narrating is great.

I could watch Bill and the kids go bowling and play the claw game for a solid hour.

Loved the bedtime stories. Zoey was way too cute!

The simulation work Jen does is simply amazing.

This episode made me happy.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 14

I agree this was the best episode of the season, by far.

I was dying laughing when poor Will's face collapsed after Bill failed to wrangle him a stuffed animal out of the claw machine. He's too young to realize those things are rigged and it was pretty much a fluke that Bill got lucky on his first try.

Jen really thrives in her work at the simulation center. The story reading and train ride were cute. I was happy to see how far Zoe had come when she didn't freak out over Santa.

• Love 4

I noticed there were a LOT of inflatable decorations in the yard this year.  I also remember Jen thinking last year the decorations were tacky and next year would be different and Bill saying...yeah ...right....

• Love 2

I adore these kids and love the show. But I do not need to watch a 10 minute Manwich commercial in the middle of my show. My mom was the queen of semi-homemade a decade before Sandra Lee and her tablescapes came along; believe me, I already know Manwich.

• Love 4

Jen said that Judy and Dave were living in the apartment until their new house was ready. I wonder if they were really downstairs with Jen and the kids when Bill was having his commercial/guys night in their apartment. I also wonder if the two Dannys got paid for participating in the commercial.

I think that the teeth brushing scene was staged. Zoey didn't rinse her mouth after Jen brushed her teeth. I think that they were just pretending to brush their teeth. I also think that the scene in Will's room was staged. He didn't have his c-pap on. We know that both kids wear a c-pap to bed.

I adore these kids and love the show. But I do not need to watch a 10 minute Manwich commercial in the middle of my show. My mom was the queen of semi-homemade a decade before Sandra Lee and her tablescapes came along; believe me, I already know Manwich.

What is it with all these tv shows advertising products?  Other shows do it too so I get it but what was hard to "swallow" (Manwich) was restaurateur Danny loving the crap sandwich instead of bringing some good eats.  And the other Danny gets to cook it...I don't know how they kept a straight face while they held up the can and twirled it around saying wow and it made this much!  I too wondered where Judy and Dave got sent off to and then realized they had to be with Jen and the kids. No baths?  I think the kids were bathed by Judy and Dave as per routine.  The 2 books that were featured were also listed in the credits.  I too wondered about the CPAPs.  Jen basically left Will rolling on the bed without even tucking him in?  Judy or Dave was there to put the CPAP on while she attended to doing it for Zoey.  

• Love 3

Loved the bowling - and Bill's inability to explain it because, honestly, it is a bizarre concept to a lot of kids!  Loved Zoey's comment "Pins?" when Bill was talking about it.

Zoey pulling that extra toy out of that claw machine was a hoot.  Abracadabra - the magic child and she was so matter of fact about it.  I love how the kids look out for one another.

I want to go on the Polar Express.

Bill continues to make me laugh in his talking head segments.  Love his sense of humor.

Jen continues to show her skills at work. I was involved in the design of our new ED by visiting the vendor's mock up rooms but we never went through scenarios which would have really been valuable.  We found out the issues after the build which was too late.

I have no issue with not seeing every freaking detail - spitting out toothpaste, tucking in sheets, saying prayers, putting on the CPAP.  We know it happened just like I"m sure that there was a final potty stop.  I don't need to see every single second of the routine and who performed it.  Just give me the high points like seeing the kids reading at bedtime.

• Love 19

Oh boy - that whole claw machine could have been a good lesson about sometimes we do not always get what we want right this minute, but nope.  I seriously suspect the show producers staged it so that Will got something.

Story time was my favorite.

I do wonder if Bill really has these "guy nights" or if it was "hey Bill needs something to do outside of the kids" staged bit.

Still love the show but seriously this needs to be 30 minutes not an hour.

• Love 6

My mind is still kind of confused over the Dave/Judy/Florida deal. I assumed once they sold their house, they'd rent a condo in Florida until their retirement home was completed, but now they're bunking at Bill and Jen's. I know you can't predict how fast or slow your house will sell, but last week they made it sound like the move was imminent and apparently this week that isn't the case. I wonder if they're still in Houston in real time.

• Love 3

My mom bought a condo that was still under construction in Florida but stayed here in NY while it was being built. Why would she rent a condo when she already bought one? Instead we had the extra time together before she made the permanent move.

• Love 5

Fun episode.  The kids have come so far!  I loved Will pretending to snore when Zoey wanted to kiss him goodnight.  They are both basically happy kids.  It was also great to see Jen so relaxed when they were trying to make the gingerbread house.  It wasn't working out like she'd hoped, but she just went with it and laughed.  

• Love 8

I assumed the Manwich commercial/Jen's night at home with the kids were filmed before Jen's parents moved into the garage apartment. There were no Christmas decorations in those scenes, so I figured that part of the show (bowling/spicy rice/bedtime stories, Manwich) was one weekend of filming and the other part of the show (gingerbread houses/Polar Express) was another weekend. I think Jen's parents moved in in between.

I also assumed Jen was coming back to tuck Will in after tucking Zoey in. She told him to stay in bed but didn't turn lights off. I thought she was going to go do Zoey's bedtime routine then come back and do Will's. I've done that before when my husband wasn't home and I had two young kids... asked the older one to stay put while I focus on the younger one's needs.

Edited by truebluesmoky
  • Love 4

Will's screams seemed more than usual this episode, even the caption reference was "screaming."   He is a happy boy.  It seemed over the top yet no one said please don't scream.  And Bill dropped his head while explaining Will screaming on the Polar Express about hot chocolate.  Will was eating the sugar icing constantly during the gingerbread house segment too.  I wonder if it is a sugar problem or something more with regard to his overall development.  When they were doing bedtime stories in Zoey's bed Will acted like he was about 2 years old sucking his thumb.  Then he said Zoey's "scream" hurt his ears!

• Love 5

Oh boy - that whole claw machine could have been a good lesson about sometimes we do not always get what we want right this minute, but nope.  I seriously suspect the show producers staged it so that Will got something.

Still love the show but seriously this needs to be 30 minutes not an hour.

I can see both sides. I know with little kids it's hard when one gets something and the other doesn't. Especially when it isn't a birthday where typically one would get a present and the other wouldn't. That being said, I thought they were too young to really get bowling and the arcade. 

I do agree 1 hour feels too long. I fell asleep during this episode. 

When they were doing bedtime stories in Zoey's bed Will acted like he was about 2 years old sucking his thumb.

As someone who sucked her thumb until she was in kindergarten, thumb sucking in older kids doesn't phase me. It was school peer pressure that got me to stop. A kid dropped a heavy toy on me and I cried and sucked my thumb and was teased for it so I stopped, but I remember it was a hard habit to break and the methods employed by my parents didn't really work. I wouldn't do it until I was ready. 

Plus the apartment was furnished. It was obviously being lived in.

I missed later in the episode so I didn't see that Judy and Dave were back in the upstairs apartment, but just because it is furnished doesn't mean it is being lived in. They may have bought the furniture in anticipation of the nanny moving in, or renting it to some college kid in the area or as a place for family when they come to stay. 

• Love 5

The kids were playing with the trains under the Christmas tree when Bill said that his friends were on their way.

Ah, I missed that somehow. A lot was going on in this episode. I got confused about which house scenes were which. However, I still think they probably weren't living there yet if Bill was using it for a guys' night. I know some posters think they're always keeping secrets, but if Jen's parents were with her for her time with Zoey and Will, they would have shown them. There would be no reason to pretend they weren't there.

• Love 1

I found it surprising Jen didn't ask Zoey to please stop sucking her fingers while she was talking about the spicy dinner.  You can't speak well with your fingers in your mouth and it is rude to the person you are speaking to.  I think Judy and Dave were in the house to help out with baths and normal bedtime routines between filming.  The whole idea was for Jen to spend time alone with the kids because she had been working on a project so that might have been a reason for Judy and Dave to stay off camera.  

• Love 3

I just don't think it's realistic to assume that Jen can't handle bedtime routines by herself. This woman is a surgeon and the head of her department at the hospital. I'm sure she can get two kids to bed without assistance, especially if it's only once in a while and even if it means she skips one bath.

• Love 6

I think if a woman can be an MD, run a Stim Center, and more... she can get two kids to bed.

My normal size relative could not get their one child in any kind of bedtime routine.

Also it would be kinda weird to have an empty apartment over a garage. Might as well put furniture in it. I would! And on that note...it was sure beautiful. I wonder if they will add an elevator to it later. I would, and I am not a little person. Just someone that would spend the money on an elevator if I could. (plus I have MS)

• Love 1

Regarding the apartment, I was surprised Jen's parents are staying there because quite frankly, I think the constant togetherness was fraying everyone's nerves. Dave seemed pretty cranky on the previous couple of episodes.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

So I have a theory about Jen's parents. And I am not saying it is good or bad. I think they are very dependent upon Bill and Jen for everything, including finances. This whole move-back-to-Florida thing just does not add up to me. Their seemingly endless availability and desire to take part in every freebie Jen and TLC offers -- which i call mooching-- puzzles me. Neither one of them seem to have jobs, friends of their own, or any interests other than being on TLC. It would not surprise me to learn that the reason they sold the house and almost everything in it was because they could not afford it. They were possibly one step or two away from foreclosure for all we know.  Jen seemed uncomfortable at the garage sale, uneasily shuffling dollar bills around talking to her mom. Sure, they like to give the appearance of being well off but often these things are a sad facade. And Jen is complicit in this. And I think I understand why. I would be willing to bet that Jen feels guilty at many levels for their divorce, the financial struggles due to her physical needs and surgeries. She and Bill probably came up with various business opportunities to help them and repay them. That actually makes sense to me. Judy and Dave never had much money..Jen said as much in their book.  Dave has had serious financial concerns..Jen's surgeries, TWO divorces, child support etc. He is not a wealthy man. His ideas for the BABA aprons etc never took off. Some people fancy themselves "entrepreneurs" and it just does not happen for them. I think there have been huge fights in the home and I think Will and Zoey have heard it all...ITS OVER.. for example. So I for one will not be surprised if the MOVE back to Florida does not really happen...and I HOPE I AM WRONG ABOUT THAT.  I think the only beach house Dave and Judy will ever live in is the one the Jen builds. Is it ok to help your parents, yes. But I think these two are taking advantage of Will and Zoey and Jen and Bill and they will get what they deserve.

I believe that Zoey randomly finding a stuffed animal for Will was totally staged. Probably one of the TLC crew stood there and tried the claw until one fell into the slot. Another poster phrased it well saying that it could have been a teaching moment for Will. But NO. Not only did Will get the stuffed animal Zoey found but he INSISTED that Bill go back and get him one from the claw. Spoiled brat.

Edited by Snow8585
  • Love 3

I can see Jen figuring if she had to pay someone for childcare, it might as well go to family. I also think Dave and Judy genuinely love their grandkids. But, with that being said, there's more to the story than they're letting on. It wouldn't surprise me if there were financial issues at play. I'm just a little confused as to how Dave and Judy are affording oceanfront property. Unless of course, their definition of 'oceanfront' is a mid-level development stuck behind six high rise hotels with a sliver of ocean view out the laundry room window. People tend to exaggerate about such things.

• Love 4

Are Jen's parents divorcing?  I had not heard that.   I hope not, they seem happy together.  Her dad never looks tired or bored to me, he looks like everyone else in my age bracket...lol.

Love Bill and Jen!  They are awesome parents to 2 little ones that started their lives in less than desirable circumstances.  There is no doubt that Bill is crazy about Jen.  I'm crazy about her too, and Bill is fantastic.

• Love 5

I would be willing to bet that Jen feels guilty at many levels for their divorce, the financial struggles due to her physical needs and surgeries. 

WHAT DIVORCE? I must have missed something very big regarding Jen's parents. And why are we assuming her parents are living in that apartment? They have a house in Houston they are selling, right?  The house they had the garage sale at.  I'm confused.....

• Love 3

When Jen was a girl Dave and Judy divorced. Dave then married his secretary. When Jen was in college, Dave got cancer, divorced the sectretary, and went back to Judy. Jen felt that the stress of her disability was a big cause of the divorce. It was all in their book.

Poor Jen, I haven't read her book so I wasn't aware of any of that. I know it's pretty common for parents to split in those circumstances, but really? An affair with your secretary? Could Dave possibly be any more of a middle-aged cliche?

• Love 5

This show is turning into a giant infomercial. It would be fun to keep track of every product, service or organization that hops on the Bill and Jen --oops I mean Jen and Bill-- bandwagon. The Manwich mini commerical was an embarassment. I laughed when Bill said he could not cook anything because he did not have his cookware at proper height or something like that?? Oh no.. Maybe Judy sold the stool at the Garage Sale!

• Love 3

Thanks for the explanation about the parent's divorce.  I haven't read Jen and Bill's book.   Shit happens and marriage is hard, and those words of wisdom come from someone who has been married for 38 years!  I hope we get to see their beach house when it's completed.

• Love 1

Bill posted Tweets during the show. One was a sarcastic comment that there "may" have been too many inflatables in the yard.

Bill, & Jen (Bill said she was working last night), always post Tweets during the show. It's kind of the Social Media version of when people involved with an individual episode of a series do a "commentary" on the background/filming of that ep in a DVD set for the show.

The kids were playing with the trains under the Christmas tree when Bill said that his friends were on their way. Plus the apartment was furnished. It was obviously being lived in.

The last time we saw the apartment, after Judy and Dave moved out, it was empty. Jen, Bill, and Will went up there when Jen was cleaning out Zoey's closet in anticipation of her arrival. She wanted to move extra blankets and sheets up to the apartment closet.

And--in the same episode--there was a plastic bowling set in the closet, which Bill or somebody set up & Bill, Jen, & Will all were shown playing with it for awhile; so I was a little surprised Bill was acting like neither of the kids was familiar with bowling (but I'm in NO way trying to equate this to lying, or anything else negative, on the part of anyone in the Arnold-Klein family). Perhaps Bill legitimately forgot about that, or thought that Will played the toy version when he was too little to remember doing it.

• Love 2

I've been thinking about product placement (Manwich) in some of these shows. I could deal with all of that if they would cut down on the commercials! I'm so tired of a commercial every 5-6 minutes. Luckily I can DVR shows and skip the advertising, but still hate the numerous interruptions!

• Love 4

I'm obsessed with Zoey's adorable clothes. Love her bowling outfit, the pink sweater with the longer blouse.

Will is so happy and sweet.

I wish I had just a fraction of Will's joy! I've never seen a child enjoy life as much as he does! I hope that never changes.
  • Love 8

By all appearances Judy and Dave live comfortably. Not broke, certainly not "mooching." I think Dave and Judy could afford to take the Polar Express or go to the Zoo on their own dime. I really doubt they solely rely on the largesse of TLC for their entertainment. Or on Bill and Jen's generosity.

They seem like utterly devoted parents to Jen and grandparents to W and Z. I just read "Life is Short" and was so impressed by how both sets of of parents raised Jen and Bill. (No wonder both marriages frayed...but it was nice that Dave and Judy got back together). Will and Zoey adore their grandparents and vice versa.

I agree that the show could be cut back to a half hour.

• Love 3

I'd rather have the built in Manwich commercial than what Hallmark Channel did this year with a ton of their Christmas movies. There was a giant red Folgers can  every single kitchen shot and then about 8 commercials too. At least the cheesy promo was quick and Bill and the guys were obviously aware of the cheese. 

Having kids has obviously chilled Jen out a ton. She didn't bat an eye when the gingerbread house imploded (I had flashbacks of a gourmet chef class I took in high school that ended in my group pouring a shit ton of icing on a pile of gingerbread and throwing handfuls of candy on top when the damn thing kept falling over and I'm pretty sure we ate icing by the finger-full too). She's learned to pick her battles. 

You could literally see the joy bursting out of Will's body on the train. His absolute glee was beyond cute. Zoey getting over her Santa fear and telling him to bring her a pony was adorable. Her little chatter is always entertaining. 

• Love 9

Will's screams seemed more than usual this episode, even the caption reference was "screaming."   He is a happy boy.  It seemed over the top yet no one said please don't scream.  And Bill dropped his head while explaining Will screaming on the Polar Express about hot chocolate.  Will was eating the sugar icing constantly during the gingerbread house segment too.  I wonder if it is a sugar problem or something more with regard to his overall development.  When they were doing bedtime stories in Zoey's bed Will acted like he was about 2 years old sucking his thumb.  Then he said Zoey's "scream" hurt his ears!

As someone who's spent a lot of time researching the subject from many angles and sources before beginning the international adoption process (why yes, I am a bit type A), I've learned that it's very common for internationally adopted children--especially children adopted after infancy--to act much younger than their biological age. And it's an issue that often persists for a long time. It might be many more years before Will and Zoey act like their peers. 

That being said, I--a typically developing child from a very stable and loving home--sucked my thumb until I was 8ish because it was my security blanket/comforting routine. 

I actually thought it was very adorable how much love Will has for hot chocolate. That kid likes hot chocolate like I enjoy my wine. :)

• Love 13

When Zoey was at the table, complaining about the food being too "spicy," you could hear her cute little high-pitched voice. But when she had her fingers in her mouth, her voice was clear, and in a much lower pitch. You could see her lips move, but how would her fingers have made her speech more clear, and lower-sounding? It seemed very much like someone was dubbing her words for her. 

They must have thought they had enough material for a cute scene, but not enough dialogue. So they saved the scene by a little bit of cinematic magic.

As someone who's spent a lot of time researching the subject from many angles and sources before beginning the international adoption process (why yes, I am a bit type A), I've learned that it's very common for internationally adopted children--especially children adopted after infancy--to act much younger than their biological age. And it's an issue that often persists for a long time. It might be many more years before Will and Zoey act like their peers. 

That being said, I--a typically developing child from a very stable and loving home--sucked my thumb until I was 8ish because it was my security blanket/comforting routine. 

I actually thought it was very adorable how much love Will has for hot chocolate. That kid likes hot chocolate like I enjoy my wine. :)

Interesting - and disappointing - news. It guarantees a tougher time socially for both Will and Zoey. At least if they tend to follow this same pattern, and it looks like they are right now. Poor little pudders...

• Love 2