Type keyword(s) to search

Guiding Light - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Alas, while GL was great at friendships, sometimes they really dropped the ball by letting them go.  Holly and Michelle's relationship being largely forgotten about is my major peeve, and back in the day I read both actors express displeasure at that as well.  Sometimes people are really important in your life at a specific time and then you both move on, but their relationship was so special and they had so many connections that, while they wouldn't have spent as anywhere near as much time together or been so dependent on each other, they'd have maintained a bond and been there when it counted.

What made the Holly/Michelle relationship so special was that it was so unexpected for both of them, especially given Maureen's open hostility towards Holly when she was alive.  Michelle even brought that up when they first started to talk to one another.   

The Holly/Maureen dynamic was so damn interesting because both ladies were allowed to be wrong and right at different times, it was not the standard good girl vs. bad girl.  GL was truly the best at crafting relationships in daytime. I am still bummed we never the Maureen/Roger friendship evolve had she lived and Ed's reaction as well as Holly's would have been dynamite. Maureen saw something good in Roger despite everything. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

What made the Holly/Michelle relationship so special was that it was so unexpected for both of them,

I've never seen anything like it before or since.  They were both mad at the world, and kept getting stuck with each other because Ed had to suddenly figure out how to coordinate Michelle's care with his unpredictable schedule, and a thoroughly depressed Holly having been unceremoniously ousted from WSPR by Roger had time on her hands Ed kept asking of her and she couldn't say no to.  They put forth some basic niceties, but also kind of let their dislike with the situation fly.  I love when Michelle semi-apologizes with "I can be nicer than this" and Holly responds "I see no absolutely reason you should be".  They both appreciated not being handled with kid gloves.

And on it went, until they created a truly safe haven for each other, and helped each other through a tough time, despite the thought of each of them being exactly who the other would need most being ludicrous at the start.

One of my many favorite moments is after Roger has been shot by Billy (but we don't yet know, just that his blood and pocket watch [from Holly] were found in the greenhouse and he's disappeared) and Holly begs off spending any more of Christmas Eve with Ed and Michelle than she has already, just wanting to be alone (this is when she comes home to find an injured Roger has been hiding in her basement).  Michelle tells Holly "I want you to be my new mother" and Holly gently tells her that's not going to be the dynamic.  Michelle asks if it's because of "Mr. Thorpe" (and, gods, do I love Michelle's fascination with him mirroring Maureen's; like mother, like daughter) and says, "I know you don't like people to know you like him, but is it okay that I know?"  And Holly, faced with this innocent inquiry about an immensely complicated relationship she'd vehemently deny to anyone else in the world, including at most times the child she shared with Roger, simply says, "Yeah, it's okay."  BEAUTIFUL.

23 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Maureen saw something good in Roger despite everything. 

I've said this before, but one of the things I most love about that is how her affection for Roger thoroughly pissing off Ed and Holly was part of the attraction for Maureen back in the beginning.  I loved her as the normal, nice one in a sea of the outlandish, but it needed the bits where she got feisty and contrary to make her real.

And I love most of all when she and Holly were real with themselves and each other, each admitting I'm a little bit jealous of you, and I don't particularly like you, but there are things about you I can't help but like in spite of myself, and I don't disrespect you.

I love the scene between them in Holly's office when Maureen has come across evidence of Ed's affair with Lillian, but confronts Holly, assuming it's her.  They come to a nice understanding.

29 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I am still bummed we never the Maureen/Roger friendship evolve had she lived and Ed's reaction as well as Holly's would have been dynamite.

Yes, how the dynamic between the four of them would have continued to play out in its messy glory had Maureen lived is one of the many great tragedies of JFP's short-sighted decision to off Mo; it created utterly fantastic television for months, but ultimately wasn't worth it for what we lost long term.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I did like that the Holly/Michelle connection kept up on and off when Budig and Joie Lenz played Michelle.  When that last imposter played Michelle..it was an odd vibe between Holly and Michelle.

Regarding the Mindy/Alex situation.  Not only was Alex nice/warm toward Mindy when she was with Philip...but she also was concerned about Mindy during her relationship with HB.

I think Alex would have gotten past the affair in time, but when Mindy changed the paternity test...all bets were off.  Considering the pain that Alex went through with Lujack, having Mindy potentially rob her of her other son was unforgivable.

When Barbara C played Mindy..it seemed off the antagonism between Alex/Mindy...and the show's failure to move her Mindy out of the Nick/Alex orbit doomed her.  It was only in the last few months of her stint as Mindy that she became a decent recast...and sadly had chemistry with Rick just as she was leaving.

Same thing happened with Simms when she started as Mindy.  She came on to finish the Will Jeffries story..and she didn't fit with Rusty either.  In fact, she was on for months being chemistry tested with everyone before she/roger started.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I can't handle reality, so am off today, and fell down a YouTube rabbit hole watching some stuff from 1989/1990, and at one point I was watching a scene with Holly, Ross, Roger, and Alex, and it suddenly hit me all but Maureen Garrett are dead.  That's one thing when I'm watching, say, The Golden Girls, where everyone was in their 50s at the time so of course they're gone now.  But this was jarring.

I was watching because they were full episodes and I was curious if some moments missing from my tape collection were included.  They weren't, but I did have fun watching random little scenes I'd forgotten all about.

And, even though I have it and have watched it so many times I found myself quoting along occasionally, when I came across it I again watched the episode where Holly takes Roger back to his zen apartment after she pushed him off the bridge.  My gods, the banter is so well written, and so well delivered.

When Holly goes to get him a blanket:  You do have them, don't you?  Or is this too Western for your aesthetic?  You probably sleep on a solar-heated futon with aloe fronds to hold in your natural warmth.

When she returns to find him meditating: Well, if you're strong enough to ohm, you don't need me anymore.

And my absolute favorite, her reaction when that crazy-ass doorbell of his rings:  What, am I hallucinating?

I also love when he gets pissed off after she leaves, and kicks one of his bronze statues in frustration, thus actually injuring the foot he'd been pretending was hurt in the fall.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
(edited)

Still escaping into the past, I just came across a great moment between Ed and Ross I'd forgotten all about from August 1990, after, all within a few days, Reva took a long drive off a short pier with Sam in the car, Holly collapsed, Phillip faked his death (but only Beth and Rick know he's alive), and Justin revealed his illness:

Ed: Are you okay?
Ross: My niece has been paralyzed.  My fiancée is undergoing tests for God knows what, I'm told my brother is gravely ill, and tomorrow I have the privilege of burying my nephew.  I think you should tell me -- am I okay?
Ed:  Oh, Ross.  You always were such a whiner.

It gives Ross the little laugh he needs, and then Ed goes over and puts his hand on his shoulder, and Ross kisses it and covers it with his own hand; they stay that way while Ed tells him to just get through Holly's CT scan and then he can wreck Ed's office if he wants to.  We don't see enough of that kind of intimacy between male friends on TV.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

I'm at the point in 1991 that I've tried to block from my memory, when Ed tells Hart what Roger did to Holly (Hart begged Ed for information on what kind of man Roger is, Ed said he can be the most charming and persuasive man in the world when he wants something from you, but he has also hurt more people than any one person Ed has ever known; Hart pressed for details, and eventually got them).

First, I want to wring Maureen's neck, because when she gets home and finds this out she's pissed at Ed for ruining Hart's relationship with his father before it even gets started (dude, he didn't go track Hart down and spill the beans, he gradually and truthfully answered a series of desperate questions), and then she chastises him and Holly for not being able to "forget" what Roger did to her. 

Come the entirety of hell on.  You forget that someone stole your lunch money in third grade.  You do not forget that when you tried to leave your husband, he smacked you in the face, dragged you across the room, pinned you to a bed, and raped you.  You do not forget the public humiliation of the ensuing trial, and that Roger faked his death so Holly, not he, was the one who spent time in a cell.  You do not forget the attempted kidnapping of your child, or being dragged through a jungle at gunpoint and threatened with death.  You don't forget that when he came back from the dead, and stood poised to finally be held legally accountable for his crimes, he got a government pardon because it was decided his public service with the CIA was more important than his crimes she endured.  It is literally impossible to forget all that.

Maureen doesn't like how close Ed and Holly are, or how Holly relies on him.  She's frustrated they only see Roger as he was, when she sees the good that's in him now.  That's fine; I totally get it.  And I love Mo and think she's a good person.  But to stand there and say that to another woman's face is just beyond.  I normally like the times when she's wrong, because she's a real person, not the saint of Springfield.  But this one really gets my blood boiling.

And then, I just come undone.  Hart confronts Roger and asks if it's true that he raped Holly.  Instead of saying yes, horribly, it is, but I'm a different man now, I have taken responsibility with her, apologized to her for what I did then and the fear and hatred she still lives with because of it, and I regret it to my core, so please let me show you all of me before you make a decision on our relationship, Roger says he didn't do it.  That Holly was emotionally unstable, and made it all up to keep him from getting custody of Blake in their divorce, and the jury could see that, so he was about to be acquitted, she tried to kill him, so she went to jail, not him.  That, today, she's jealous of his success and that she couldn't break up his marriage to Alex, so still has a vendetta against him, and Ed and Ross parrot her lies because they've been in love with her.

It's jaw-droppingly appalling, especially because as he's lying about the rape, he flashes back to her terrified face as he tossed her onto the bed.  So you'd hope that after Hart believes him, says he wants to get to know him, and leaves, he'd feel like shit that his desperation to hold onto his newly-discovered son led him to do something horrible.  But, nope.  He's enraged that Ed and Holly (Holly came over right after Hart found out, and Hart asked her if what Ed said about Roger is true; Holly said whatever Ed said, yes, it's true, and Hart relayed this to Roger) almost cost him his son, and vows they'll pay for it.

It's Roger at the ugliest he's been since his return, and difficult to watch.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1

On a much better note, I had forgotten all about Blake being kidnapped by Gary Swanson and how Billy was going to give Roger the ransom money.  (This, of course, was before Billy found out about Roger and Mindy.)

Background:  Blake had accidentally shot Alan-Michael while aiming at Gary.  When she found out he'd be okay, she finally agreed to tell the cops everything about Gary, even though that means confessing her involvement with him and he'll certainly retaliate by revealing she faked the pregnancy and miscarriage.  But he kidnapped her first, and demanded four million dollars.

Roger can't liquidate his assets in time to come up with that kind of money, so he and Holly plead with the Board at Spaulding to release company funds.  Only India votes yes, with everyone else siding with Alex, who claims this is a scam, that Blake is working with Gary and they're going to take off with the money (she thinks Blake deliberately shot A-M, attempting to become a rich widow, and this is Plan B now that he's lived). 

So Holly and Roger are scrambling all over town.  The Lewises are the only people left with that kind of money on hand, and Josh and H.B. are both out of town, so Billy is the only one who could give the authorization.  Holly gets Vanessa to get him to at least listen.  When Roger asks him for money, the entire building can hear Billy laugh.  But when Roger explains his daughter has been kidnapped, Billy's entire face and body changes demeanor; it's a really great moment.  Roger physically hands him the deeds to his half of WSPR and the waterfront property, and all the Spaulding stock certificates he got out of Henry -- worth more than the $4 million, and it would give Billy control of the entire waterfront.  Billy puts all the documents in a folder, hands it back to Roger, and tells him just to go get his "little girl" (knowing Blake is to Roger what Mindy is to him); he will give him the $4 million, and Roger can pay him back later.

(Billy winds up getting arrested for DUI on the way to the bank, and they wind up having to try and fake Gary out; Mallet busts in just in time, and Gary's caught.)

It's such a great moment from Billy, that Roger as a father frightened for his daughter's life is more important to him than Roger as the guy who'd ruined his project and financially harmed Vanessa and Henry (of course, as I said, he's not aware Roger is also the guy banging his daughter).

There's also a lovely moment between Roger and Holly, after she says they failed Blake, that she grew up to be a person who'd lie so many times people don't believe her when it counts, and he says "Not we, me.  I failed her.  You begged me not to enable her lies."  He forgets that lesson several times in the future, or, more accurately, refuses to acknowledge it even to himself, but deep down he knows, and here he actually says it.

• Love 1

Watching all this stuff from the early '90s, I'm really struck by something I didn't properly appreciate at the time -- how much they spent licensing music!  There's a ton of it (because there are always songs playing in the background in most of the restaurants), and not the cheap stuff, songs that were popular and current then. 

• Thanks 1
On 7/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, Bastet said:

Watching all this stuff from the early '90s, I'm really struck by something I didn't properly appreciate at the time -- how much they spent licensing music!  There's a ton of it (because there are always songs playing in the background in most of the restaurants), and not the cheap stuff, songs that were popular and current then. 

I don't think any of us truly appreciated it at the time. Even watching the reruns of The Doctors on Retro TV - they were using popular music in the episodes from the 60s and 70s. I'm surprised that Retro TV used the original songs rather than dubbing over them with generic music.

Speaking of GL and music, I rewatched OG Beth (Judi Evans) and Lujack (Vincent Irizarry) with their love theme - "Almost Paradise" from Footloose. Those were the days, the 80s! Can we go back to the 80s - right now? 😉

• Like 2

I never appreciated in general what kind of budget the show had to work with back then.  There's a large cast, and while soap actors didn't get paid like prime time players, they weren't working for anything close to scale, either.  They kept costs down with a multi-camera system that didn't require as much coverage shooting as is typical and by doing very few retakes* so they could get a lot in the can in one day, and by shooting in a relatively small studio in a less expensive part of the city.  But they had a lot of parties, festivals, galas, etc. that required a lot of blocking and a bunch of extras.  And there were a fair number of location shoots.  A huge wardrobe.  Plus, as I said, the tremendous amount of music licensed.  It's impressive what they turned out.

*For all the "just a soap actor" stereotypes - some of which indeed apply to some of them, as with any stereotype - it really says something about how infrequently they flubbed lines, because most of those mistakes are just left in and there for us to see.  It's like theatre; get yourself out of it and keep going.  And it feels natural, too, since people sometimes trip up when they speak in real life.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 7/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, Bastet said:

Soaps were major money makers for the networks in the 80's.  Even though networks made mistakes in how they treated soaps, the budgets did increase from the 70s which led to current music being used (and, in some cases, even leading to the popularity of songs), location shoots and larger writers rooms.

I think that became another negative for soaps.  They were popular on shoestring or at least lower budgets in the 60s and 70s but got caught up in the excess of the 80s.  Make no mistake, they deserved those big budgets but when things began to contract again in the 90s, for those of us who experienced the heyday of soap opera storytelling, it was hard to adjust.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Bittersweet time for those of us who loved the New York CBS shows in their strongest years, as the beloved actors from that time have been passing away. Nice, though, to remember their careers and highlights from their work. It seems like a subscription streaming service would do OK offering all the old soaps, but maybe residuals and (as we've been talking about on this thread) music licensing would require too high a subscription cost to pay off.
Anyway, wanted to say there have been some great Alan Locher interviews recently about late great actors. I was keeping an eye on his youtube channel during the lockdown and then forgot about it till this week. Shows about Michael Zaslow, Lisa Brown, and most recently Jerry verDorn.
There are a few actors who show up regularly on these and who often have lovely stories to tell.    

• Love 3

I have finally gotten around to watching the Jonathan & Tammy romance on YT, which I missed when it originally aired. I know this wasn't that many years prior to GL ending, but what a difference it is from today's soaps! It must have been a risky storyline, though ironically today thanks to Game of Thrones and House of Dragon, the incest would be the least controversial thing about it. What I've noticed more than anything is just how physical the acting is. A lot of that is Tom Pelphery, who is a very intense actor.  Jonathan was constantly manhandling Tammy, and they were always either touching or almost touching.  It makes me laugh that people are constantly walking in on Jonathan just panting on Tammy and they treat it like it's normal.  On GH, the characters seem allergic to touching, much less love scenes.  It's been really fun to watch. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, standbyme said:

I have finally gotten around to watching the Jonathan & Tammy romance on YT, which I missed when it originally aired. I know this wasn't that many years prior to GL ending, but what a difference it is from today's soaps! It must have been a risky storyline

It was probably one of the last "will they/won't they" stories I remember watching on soaps.  Usually soaps have so little patience for buildup that you kind of know early on if a show intends to try out two characters romantically or know that even if they do, whether they're serious about giving them an actual shot.

But with this one, with all its taboo and controversy, I remember just willing them into existence and not trusting they were the actual story until maybe the barn scene (the earlier one).

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1

Today is GL's birthday if you go back to the radio show -- happy 86! --  so Alan Locher had a watch party today of the Maureen Bauer death storyline with commentary by show staff.  Jill Lorie Hurst, Danielle Page, and Brett Staneart provided commentary on the featured scenes, and there was some reminiscing and sniffles.  

Here's a link if interested:  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Today is GL's birthday if you go back to the radio show -- happy 86! --  so Alan Locher had a watch party today of the Maureen Bauer death storyline with commentary by show staff.  Jill Lorie Hurst, Danielle Page, and Brett Staneart provided commentary on the featured scenes, and there was some reminiscing and sniffles.  

I still have yet to sit down and watch any of these Locher videos I've downloaded, but I'm going to download this one, too.  I re-watched that full storyline - from Maureen finding Lillian's note to Michelle going to bed after Maureen's funeral - a couple of years ago and it was just as powerful as it was originally.  Ultimately not worth it for what we lost, but absolutely fantastic television.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, Bastet said:

I still have yet to sit down and watch any of these Locher videos I've downloaded, but I'm going to download this one, too.  I re-watched that full storyline - from Maureen finding Lillian's note to Michelle going to bed after Maureen's funeral - a couple of years ago and it was just as powerful as it was originally.  Ultimately not worth it for what we lost, but absolutely fantastic television.

I did a rewatch last year as well, and it was truly great tv. Michelle running away, and her anger at Ed, and eventually forgiving him, was given so much sensitivity.  And they gave it enough time to play out, nothing was rushed. I know many see Maureen's death as the beginning of the end of the best of GL, and I don't disagree, but it was a very well done storyline. 

9 hours ago, standbyme said:

Michelle running away,

I love Little Billy hiding her in the attic.  And Ed not dragging her home when she refuses to go with him, instead agreeing to let her go to Holly's instead for a bit.  And Holly getting her to finally agree to go see Dr. Linden with Ed.

• Like 1

People.com: Christine Taylor’s soap auditions…

In the early 90s, [Christine] Taylor claimed that she “could not get a soap opera to save my life” though she frequently attended auditions in both Los Angeles and New York.

The Zoolander star shared that she was only 16-years-old when she auditioned for another soap opera called Guiding Light. The producers were looking for an actress who as “edgy,” and “16-year-old Allentown, Pennsylvania Christine” arrived at her casting with straight blow dried hair, acid washed jeans and a jean jacket.

“Needless to say, I did not get the part,” she laughed.

She was 16 in 1987 so, Harley?

Edited by LizDC
  • Like 1
On 10/19/2023 at 8:13 AM, LizDC said:

People.com: Christine Taylor’s soap auditions…

In the early 90s, [Christine] Taylor claimed that she “could not get a soap opera to save my life” though she frequently attended auditions in both Los Angeles and New York.

The Zoolander star shared that she was only 16-years-old when she auditioned for another soap opera called Guiding Light. The producers were looking for an actress who as “edgy,” and “16-year-old Allentown, Pennsylvania Christine” arrived at her casting with straight blow dried hair, acid washed jeans and a jean jacket.

“Needless to say, I did not get the part,” she laughed.

She was 16 in 1987 so, Harley?

I'm guessing Harley as well.

I guess even back in 1987, casting people knew deep down she was destined to play only Marcia Brady 

I was skimming this this thread and realized I posted back in 2018/2019 as I was watching the early 80s of the show.

I'm now up to 1992 fall. This is the first time I've seen this. Holy smokes the storyline with Blake and Ross, and then with the two of them and Holly and Roger is riveting.

Just a great story story, with the whole history built up. 

However, I am assuming it will start to decline overall as the 90s progress.

The rest of the storylines- I'm not a fan of Harley and Mallet, I just don't like Mallet as a love interest, all he does is bark and bitch.

Not into Eleni and Frank, Elena not telling Frank why she dumped him was stupid imo.

Jenna was interesting as a jewel thief, but I'm.kind of half in and half out on this story with her trying to find her father. 

(Tbh partly I can't pay attn to these other stories bc I can't tear myself away from the Holly Blake Roger Ross thing.)

I read ATWT was a sister soap to this. Anyone have an.opinion about if it's as good as GL?

I'm thinking of which soap I will watch next (assuming I can find eps). I think it's down to ATWT or OLTL. (Have watched GH, SB, have zero interest in Days, AW, or Y&R).

Edited by cleo

I'd call ATWT a sister soap to GL in that they were both Procter & Gamble soaps. A lot of the same themes, I think some writers crossed back and forth -- that is, changed jobs, didn't write for GL one week, ATWT the next -- but there was no relationship between GL in Springfield and ATWT in Oakdale.  At least as far as I recall -- my mom watched both shows forever, so I did osmosis -- no characters crossed over or visited, like I believe Y&R and B&B have done.

I'd call ATWT about as well written as GL, with many remarkable/ oustanding characters like Dr. John Dixon, James Stenbeck, Lucinda Walsh, and of course Lisa Miller Hughes Eldridge Shea Colman McColl Mitchell Grimaldi Chedwyn. 

They also had a good eye for talent, casting young Meg Ryan, Julianne Moore,  James Earl Jones, Marisa Tomei, and I'm sure others who went on to bigger things.   Potential bonus:  no cloning storylines. 

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I'd call ATWT a sister soap to GL in that they were both Procter & Gamble soaps. A lot of the same themes, I think some writers crossed back and forth -- that is, changed jobs, didn't write for GL one week, ATWT the next -- but there was no relationship between GL in Springfield and ATWT in Oakdale.  At least as far as I recall -- my mom watched both shows forever, so I did osmosis -- no characters crossed over or visited, like I believe Y&R and B&B have done.

I think there was more of a crossover between Another World and As the World Turns

It actually is a little surprising that they didn't try to mix them a bit more.

• Like 2
On 12/23/2023 at 12:54 PM, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I'd call ATWT about as well written as GL, with many remarkable/ oustanding characters like Dr. John Dixon, James Stenbeck, Lucinda Walsh, and of course Lisa Miller Hughes Eldridge Shea Colman McColl Mitchell Grimaldi Chedwyn. 

They also had a good eye for talent, casting young Meg Ryan, Julianne Moore,  James Earl Jones, Marisa Tomei, and I'm sure others who went on to bigger things.   Potential bonus:  no cloning storylines. 

I viewed ATWT as the  reserved soap...a bit cold and unapproachable.  Their most consistent headwriter Marland was also kind of reserved...very New England.

Guiding Light had this energy and warmth especially during the Pam Long and Nancy Curlee days.  You felt invited and part of the family.

• Like 2
(edited)

I will probably give it a try, but I'm not sure when. Sometime later this year. Mostly bc I think that and OLTL are the only other two I have any interest in. If available. 

I'm just starting 1993 and I'm struggling with a lot of the storylines other than Blake and Ross. I read 1993 and 1994 aren't very good.

-I hate baby storylines, (and I hate Nadine), so the stuff with Nadine pretending to be pregnant isn't of much interest. I'm looking forward to Billy dumping her though. 

-The storyline with Jenna and Roger- the thing with Henry pretending to be her father just seems beyond stupid, but this seems like it will get better so I'm paying some attn to it. 

-Harley and Mallet- meh. This is probably a UO but I find Mallet unlikeable at the best of times. The actor isn't great imo, and the character doesn't help bc all he does is bark and bitch and fight, and I'm just not into it. 

-Alan-Michael/Eleni/Frank- I'm sort of watching off and on, but again baby storylines don't interest me, and I kind of think Eleni is an idiot.

-The stuff with Ed cheating on Maureen- I probably should pay more attn to this than I have.  

I don't mean to be so critical lol! It's the way of soaps, they have peaks and valleys, so I'm still into it, just being patient.  

Edited by cleo
3 hours ago, cleo said:

The stuff with Ed cheating on Maureen- I probably should pay more attn to this than I have.  

Start paying attention when Maureen finds the note from Lillian. 

3 hours ago, cleo said:

I kind of think Eleni is an idiot.

Same!  And I find Frank a total dud, so their storylines never did anything for me.

• Like 1
On 1/1/2024 at 10:26 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I viewed ATWT as the  reserved soap...a bit cold and unapproachable.  Their most consistent headwriter Marland was also kind of reserved...very New England.

Guiding Light had this energy and warmth especially during the Pam Long and Nancy Curlee days.  You felt invited and part of the family.

I think both GL and ATWT were set in the midwest, but I agree about the different tones in the writing.  The Bauer kitchen (and BBQ!) were warm and inviting, but the Hughes house was like the living room kids weren't allowed to enter.  My memory of ATWT may not represent the show well, though, because I mostly recall things about it from when I was very young, since it was on during school hours. 

8 hours ago, cleo said:

I will probably give it a try, but I'm not sure when. Sometime later this year. Mostly bc I think that and OLTL are the only other two I have any interest in. If available. 

I'm just starting 1993 and I'm struggling with a lot of the storylines other than Blake and Ross. I read 1993 and 1994 aren't very good.

-I hate baby storylines, (and I hate Nadine), so the stuff with Nadine pretending to be pregnant isn't of much interest. I'm looking forward to Billy dumping her though. 

I thought Bridget was a hoot and really enjoyed Melissa Hayden's work, so found the fake baby storyline amusing at least -- but I like crazy/silly stories, oft-married characters, etc.  The clone storyline and twins  with different fathers, for example, are a bridge too far for me, but I'll go about 80% of the way down that road and enjoy the trip.

• Like 2
(edited)

I'm at the part where Blake and Alan Michael sleep together. I think if Ross died, she should've ended up with AM rather than Frank. But I'm not planning on watching after 2003.

I've read a lot of complaints about the Buzz Cooper character, but he's just startling here. As an SB fan, I do like Justin Deas, but what is with the weird half accent lol. Watching him and Maeve Kincaid in scenes together is fun, bitchy Vanessa is the best Vanessa.

ETA oh they are taking a looooong time to bring in Marj Dusay. I guess it took them quite a while to figure out what to do when BM left. I do know the story On that, but I was expecting Dusay by now.

Edited by cleo

I remember an interview with Dusay shortly after joining the cast, in which she praised the fact that every time she was set to shoot a scene with someone for the first time, they took the time to give her a rundown of the situation between Alex and their character so she had the gist of the history and current dynamic.  She said it was rare to get that from everyone, rather than some actors thinking of it and some not, and she was grateful, especially since this wasn't just any recast, but the recast of a major, longstanding role previously held by a formidable performer.

• Like 1