Type keyword(s) to search

Guiding Light - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 11/22/2021 at 10:52 AM, roughing it said:

When was this?  I'm asking story-wise in addition to year.

In the final few years of the show, GL moved from their studio in New York to taping in a small town called Peapack, New Jersey--they were definitely there from 2008 to the final episode in 2009, and the Otalia (Olivia/Natalia) love story and Phillip's final return (Grant Aleksander was fired in 2004, and Phillip was presumed dead; his family and friends found out he was alive in 2006, but GA didn't return until 2009) took place during this time. The cast from that time period have a LOT of horror stories about how nonexistent the budget/makeup/costumes/rehearsal/actual taping time was by then, especially because they were essentially using one house in this town for almost all of their interior shots...it was rough, to say the least.

That said, there a LOT of fans who actually thought they got a handle on things during the final months, with many of them especially appreciating the "realness" of actually getting to shoot outdoors (a big example being Olivia declaring her love to Natalia--it was in a cemetery, with lots of snow falling all around them), so mileage varies.

And since you asked about Bridget: Here's Melissa Hayden winning her Emmy for Outstanding Younger Actress in 1994, along with (some of) the scenes she won it for.

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yes, I remember now.  I wasn't watching anymore but my mom watched from the mid-50s until the final episode.  I remember seeing some of the episodes that she had recorded, and many of those scenes were outdoors like in parks and playgrounds.  Such a stark difference from what this and other soaps were in their glory days.  Sad.

• Love 1

I loved the lengthy recap of Bridget up above! She was my favorite character (along with Alan-Michael) back in the day. I quit around ‘94 but I read on another recap site that Bridget and David dated. Did they really? I loved their friendship in part because they never crossed that line, but it sounds like maybe it happened after I stopped watching. 

On 11/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Oh no, that's so sad. She was great, whether in the Kelly-Morgan-Nola triangle, having a musical fantasy, or on adventures with Quint.  The character was exceptionally well written, and Lisa Brown just made Nola better.  During a not so recent bout of insomnia, I YouTubed Nola's wedding day episode  -- basically a stand alone one -- and it was a work of art.  Soap opera art, but still art. (all my opinion, of course)

Thank you, Ms. Brown, and rest in peace. 

I was saddened to hear this. Loved her as Nola. 

• Love 4

Guiding Light was the answer (in the form of a question) to a clue on Jeopardy! last night--I immediately thought of @Bastet, who watched/watches both shows and must have gotten it as quickly as I did! :D 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, UYI said:

Guiding Light was the answer (in the form of a question) to a clue on Jeopardy! last night--I immediately thought of @Bastet, who watched/watches both shows and must have gotten it as quickly as I did! :D 

Yep.  And then I told my cat it was called The Guiding Light back then.  She was fascinated by that bit of trivia, of course. 🙄

The category was 1950s Television and the clue was: On radio, this soap opera was all about a minister, but he had been written out when it began a 57-year TV run in 1952.

• Love 4

I’ve been going down a rabbit hole of watching the Otalia storyline again, after years and years (maybe even 10, wow). It’s comforting and a joy to watch, even with its flaws. Then I went back into Venice the Series (after only seeing the first couple seasons years ago). It’s…still not great. But, I stumbled onto 1 Million Happy Nows starring Crystal Chappell and Jessica Leccia. I didn’t know they did a feature film and I really, really enjoyed it, loved seeing them act a whole movie together. Though the subject matter is quite rough, I recommend it. It was on Tubi for free.

I just found this page and went through and watched some of the reunion videos that were linked. Besides the quality issues, it was nice to see some of the cast interacting.

• Love 1

Oh man, this sucks. I loved him as both Ross AND as Clint on OLTL. 

Thinking of how family, but also of Liz Keifer, too. It was always clear how close they were to each other. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, UYI said:

Oh man, this sucks. I loved him as both Ross AND as Clint on OLTL. 

Thinking of how family, but also of Liz Keifer, too. It was always clear how close they were to each other. 

I remember them on the Locher Room talking about doing something for charity.  May he rest in peace.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I remember them on the Locher Room talking about doing something for charity.  May he rest in peace.

They had an event called Daytime Stars and Strikes, which they held every year to benefit autism. 

It's usually an in person event where everyone goes bowling, but due to COVID, the last few years Alan Locher hosted a huge virtual GL reunion instead. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Posted this in another thread, but thought it should go here as well. I always wondered if Ross and Blake's relationship would have progressed and been written the same way had Sherry stayed on the show. I liked Liz's Blake but loved Sherry's version. A delicious bad girl who was fun to hate.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
On 5/3/2022 at 4:49 PM, Hiyo said:

Posted this in another thread, but thought it should go here as well. I always wondered if Ross and Blake's relationship would have progressed and been written the same way had Sherry stayed on the show. I liked Liz's Blake but loved Sherry's version. A delicious bad girl who was fun to hate.

It’s funny but I always thought that Ross was great with Springfield’s Blake for the sex and intrigue (remember early on Blake was playing Ross) but I wouldn’t have bought him being in love with her as he was with Keifer’s Blake. Of course, we’ll never know but it’s what I believed then and now. I’m 58 and had watched GL since probably around 1978 or 1979. I thought ver Dorn and Jane Elliott were amazing and was so bummed that she was written out just as the storyline was starting per se. JvD was great as Ross. You didn’t even know he was acting. I thought Ross and Ed had the most realistic male friendship on soaps. They just talked like real people and not like they were oil tycoons or super rich people. Simply just two guys talking to each other like normal folk. Good memories.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

It’s funny but I always thought that Ross was great with Springfield’s Blake for the sex and intrigue (remember early on Blake was playing Ross) but I wouldn’t have bought him being in love with her as he was with Keifer’s Blake.

Yeah, I loved Sherry Stringfield's Blake (well, I mean sometimes I hated her, but I loved the layers of her, that I could hate what she was doing one moment and feel sorry for her the next), and think Stringfield is the better actor in general among the three who played Blake, but I doubt I'd have ever bought the evolution of Blake seducing Ross in order to hurt Holly eventually turning into an actual loving relationship - between Blake and Ross, plus between Blake and Holly - with her in the role to the degree I did with Liz Kiefer.

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I thought Ross and Ed had the most realistic male friendship on soaps.

GL was the only soap I watched with any regularity for any length of time, so I can't properly compare among the genre, but I absolutely adored that relationship.  Friendship is one of the things I think GL did best -- the Four Musketeers, Ed and Ross, Maureen and Vanessa, Alex and Lillian,  Kat and Bridget, Hamp and Billy, etc.  It was as romance-focused as any other show, I'm sure, but the realistic treatment of the various secondary or tertiary friendships was one of the things that made it more realistic - or at least less unrealistic - than most soaps and thus my jam.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I loved Sherry Stringfield's Blake (well, I mean sometimes I hated her, but I loved the layers of her, that I could hate what she was doing one moment and feel sorry for her the next), and think Stringfield is the better actor in general among the three who played Blake, but I doubt I'd have ever bought the evolution of Blake seducing Ross in order to hurt Holly eventually turning into an actual loving relationship - between Blake and Ross, plus between Blake and Holly - with her in the role to the degree I did with Liz Kiefer.

GL was the only soap I watched with any regularity for any length of time, so I can't properly compare among the genre, but I absolutely adored that relationship.  Friendship is one of the things I think GL did best -- the Four Musketeers, Ed and Ross, Maureen and Vanessa, Alex and Lillian,  Kat and Bridget, Hamp and Billy, etc.  It was as romance-focused as any other show, I'm sure, but the realistic treatment of the various secondary or tertiary friendships was one of the things that made it more realistic - or at least less unrealistic - than most soaps and thus my jam.

And, Harley, Cassie & Blake. This show was sooooo good until Ellen Wheeler ruined it. LOL!!!!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

And, Harley, Cassie & Blake.

That was after my time (I don't even know who Cassie is), but I liked the friendship between Harley and Samantha.

They even did a good job with the friendship between Michelle, Ben, and the unfortunately-monikered Little Billy when they were kids.  The actor playing Ben was terrible, but the other two were good, and it was nice to see kids doing normal kid things.  They had a nice moment at the Bauer house after Maureen's funeral, with the boys not knowing how to be with her.  And when Michelle ran away and Little Billy hid her in the attic.

• Love 3

When I think of eighties GL I think of Chris Berneau, Michael Zaslow and Jerry VerDorn. I can't believe they are all gone now

Beverlee McKinsey, too.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

That was after my time (I don't even know who Cassie is), but I liked the friendship between Harley and Samantha.

They even did a good job with the friendship between Michelle, Ben, and the unfortunately-monikered Little Billy when they were kids.  The actor playing Ben was terrible, but the other two were good, and it was nice to see kids doing normal kid things.  They had a nice moment at the Bauer house after Maureen's funeral, with the boys not knowing how to be with her.  And when Michelle ran away and Little Billy hid her in the attic.

Cassie was portrayed by Laura Wright & later Nicole Forester. Cassie was Reva’s sister. 

(edited)
On 5/3/2022 at 4:49 PM, Hiyo said:

I absolutely loved this story and I was on Holly's side and I hated how the town acted like Holly was out of her mind for being anti Blake and Ross. Holly had every right to be pissed by Blake and Ross' betrayal.  Blake acted like she was an innocent victim especially when she was being played by Liz Keifer.  Even Ross had righteous indignation when it came to Holly lashing out at him and Blake. 

Sherry Stringfield was Blake and I did learn to accept Liz in the role but they domesticated her too much by taking away her layers and giving her 3 kids.  Blake should have remained Roger Thorpe's daughter when it came to scheming and going after what she wanted.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I absolutely loved this story and I was on Holly's side and I hated how the town acted like Holly was out of her mind for being anti Blake and Ross. Holly had every right to be pissed by Blake and Ross' betrayal. 

Amen!  Ross and Blake acted like the fact they wound up falling in love meant they didn't do anything wrong to begin with.  Blake seduced her mother's ex-fiance, for whom her mom still had feelings, for the sole purpose of hurting her.  And Ross slept with his ex-fiance's daughter, which is bad enough on its own, but add in that he, knowing Holly's feelings, was using her to help make him look good in his campaign.

One of the things I like about that storyline is Roger's righteous indignation on Holly's behalf.  A lot of his reaction is because he hates Ross, but he's also genuinely pissed that Ross hurt her (while, typical Roger, largely turning a blind eye to Blake's fault).

18 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

they domesticated her too much by taking away her layers and giving her 3 kids

Yikes.  I had quit watching before the kids came along, and I had no idea she had so many.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

One of the things I like about that storyline is Roger's righteous indignation on Holly's behalf.  A lot of his reaction is because he hates Ross, but he's also genuinely pissed that Ross hurt her (while, typical Roger, largely turning a blind eye to Blake's fault).

23 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I loved Roger's role in the story, especially when he had no idea that Blake and Ross was having an affair. He was very befuddled with Holly's disdain for Blake and was trying desperately to understand Holly's reasoning.  He also took great pleasure in seeing Holly hating Ross.  I did love seeing Holly and Roger coming together, Holly was constantly rejecting Roger but also welcoming him. Holly and Roger were  complex dynamic and their scenes were so riveting.  I also think it bled into Holly's contentious relationship with Blake because she was so much like Roger..

Edited by Pearson80
44 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I also think it bled into Holly's contentious relationship with Blake because she was so much like Roger..

That family dynamic was quite interesting.  Blake idealized her father, which happens, but that means idolizing the man who damn near destroyed her mother.  Blake always remembered her childhood as worse than it was, Roger remembered it as better than it was, and Holly came closest to acknowledging all the nuances of reality but was still slow to grasp the extent of the damage done to Blake.

I love when Holly would try to get through to Roger that he wasn't actually doing Blake any favors by always swooping in to clean up her self-induced messes, because it was beautifully gracious that she genuinely understood his motivation was love and wanting to make up for lost time.  There's a great moment when they're talking about Hart, and she tells him he may be rotten down to his toenails, but he legit loves his kids.

One of the primary things that drove me away from the show after so many years when Laibson and McTavish took over was the retconning of Roger into a cartoon villain and erasing the layers of his relationship with Holly.  If you'd told me in 1989 I could ever accept a woman falling back in love with the ex-husband who'd raped her, I'd have punched you.  And I have a HUGE problem with them pretending Roger's rape of Rita never happened.  But if I take the Roger/Holly storyline on its face, it played out over about five years as something with brutally honest moments (the biggest of which is the Acapulco storyline, still one of the greatest things I've ever seen) that eventually led to a believable reconnecting.   

• Love 3
On 5/8/2022 at 2:24 PM, Bastet said:

GL always felt like the most “real” of all the soaps to me, and I found that so comforting. I recently rewatched Maureen’s death and Michelle running away after finding out about Ed’s affairs, and every bit of that story has held up over time. Beautifully acted, directed and written. When this show was good it was great. 

• Love 6
On 5/13/2022 at 8:48 PM, racked said:

GL always felt like the most “real” of all the soaps to me, and I found that so comforting. I recently rewatched Maureen’s death and Michelle running away after finding out about Ed’s affairs, and every bit of that story has held up over time. Beautifully acted, directed and written. When this show was good it was great. 

I remember in the early 90's that TV guide said it was the best tv show on television period!  They even put GL above primetime shows at the time..

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/3/2021 at 11:35 PM, UYI said:

It was cool to see Elizabeth Dennehy and Jerry ver Dorn show up, and of course a shame that Sherry couldn't make it. I'll still hold out for an all-Blake episode with her, ED, and LK altogether. 

Have you ever seen these photos? The ladies (joined by Cheryl Lynn Brown, who played Christina Blake as a child) did a photo shoot for the 20th anniversary issue of People in 1994, for a bit about soap recasts!

gettyimages-77700774-1024x1024.jpg

gettyimages-77700777-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 5/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, Bastet said:

Yikes.  I had quit watching before the kids came along, and I had no idea she had so many.

For what it's worth, Kevin and Jason were twins, and Clarissa was born only a few years after them (Kevin and Jason were born in 1996, while Clarissa was born in 1999); Blake didn't get pregnant again after that.

Both were written in at the same time as Liz Keifer's real life pregnancies. 

Of course, Blake originally thought that Kevin and Jason were fathered by two different men--she and Rick had an ONS at one point--but thankfully that got resolved (turns out, Ross fathered both of them after all). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
On 5/8/2022 at 2:24 PM, Bastet said:

I don't even know who Cassie is.

Cassie was Reva's younger half-sister; she was introduced in 1997.

I know some long time fans were pissed over Cassie's mere existence because she came on the show while Reva's other sister, Roxie Shayne, was never seen or heard from again after being sent off to a mental institution in 1988--I guess her breakdown was that severe? Who knows. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, UYI said:

Cassie was Reva's younger half-sister; she was introduced in 1997.

She was first portrayed by Laura Wright who played the role for 8 years before moving to General Hospital to become the nauseating Mob Queen, Carly Corinthos 🤮.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, UYI said:

Of course, Blake originally thought that Kevin and Jason were fathered by two different men--she and Rick had an ONS at one point

Blake and Rick?!  Ah, soaps -- her ex-husband's best friend, and her former stepbrother (who, at the time, she thought was her half brother).  When she and Philip started dating, the writers made a point of acknowledging that she was the pesky little sister in footie pajamas when he and Rick were kids.

1 hour ago, UYI said:

I know some long time fans were pissed over Cassie's mere existence because she came on the show while Reva's other sister, Roxie Shayne, was never seen or heard from again after being sent off to a mental institution in 1988--I guess her breakdown was that severe? Who knows. 

I liked Roxie, but mostly because of the actor who played her (and that her presence pissed off Mindy, with whom I had quite the love/hate relationship); the character's storylines were consistently awful and revolved around "shut slaming".  The Kyle storyline was particularly hideous, between the coerced sex, amnesia, and Alaskan brothel.

I like to think Roxie is healthy and happy somewhere, possibly with Johnny, and just chose never to set foot in Springfield again.  Even by soap standards, that woman was relentlessly tormented.

Edited by Bastet
18 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

She was first portrayed by Laura Wright who played the role for 8 years before moving to General Hospital to become the nauseating Mob Queen, Carly Corinthos 🤮.

Fun fact: Laura Wright (nee Sisk) grew up about an hour and a half north of me in Clinton, Maryland! Maryland girls represent! :D 

• Love 2
On 5/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, Bastet said:

Blake and Rick?!  Ah, soaps -- her ex-husband's best friend, and her former stepbrother (who, at the time, she thought was her half brother).  When she and Philip started dating, the writers made a point of acknowledging that she was the pesky little sister in footie pajamas when he and Rick were kids.

I liked Roxie, but mostly because of the actor who played her (and that her presence pissed off Mindy, with whom I had quite the love/hate relationship); the character's storylines were consistently awful and revolved around "shut slaming".  The Kyle storyline was particularly hideous, between the coerced sex, amnesia, and Alaskan brothel.

I like to think Roxie is healthy and happy somewhere, possibly with Johnny, and just chose never to set foot in Springfield again.  Even by soap standards, that woman was relentlessly tormented.

Supposedly Hawk mentioned once that Roxie was in Tulsa living in a group home...that she'd recovered enough to leave the hospital.  No mention if Johnny was with her or not.

There were rumors Zimmer tried to get TPTB to bring roxie back..either TPTB or the actress who had played Roxie vetoed It.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, Bastet said:

I thought that Mindy was awesome during the Alexandra/Roger/Mindy/Nick storyline. Kimberly Simms was just so riveting as Mindy.  She was the best Mindy and surpassed the original one.   Mindy was dead wrong for getting involved with Roger Thorpe but the fallout between her and Alexandra was must see TV.  I felt bad for both Mindy and Alexandra at different times throughout the storyline.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, Hiyo said:

I felt bad for Alexandra. But not Mindy.

I felt bad for her when Alexandra was torturing her.  

I remember one scene where Alex was being a bitch to Mindy rightly so and just asked her quietly what did she ever do to Mindy to deserve this type of betrayal and Mindy was at a loss for words. 

Mindy looked so guilty and ashamed and Alex was so vulnerable raw and hurt. It was just acting at its finest and both ladies delivered.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
(edited)

There's so much big stuff in the story of Roger and Mindy's affair, but one teeny tiny moment I really like is with Vaughn, Roger's CIA buddy; Roger and Holly are in Acapulco, and Roger is on the phone with Vaughn trying to explain how Holly is acting and how Roger is feeling, and Vaughn just says, "You already have a wife you cannot live with or without, and a mistress."  Roger protests it's not like that, and it's not, but Vaughn is just hilariously not having any of this, scoffing that oh, okay with Holly it's one of those spiritual and elevated things; it's a wonderfully droll moment from a tertiary - hell, more accurately, a duodenary - character that has stuck with me all these years.  (Okay, I do have the entire Acapulco storyline on tape* - yes, tape - so I've watched it more than once, but not in a long time.)

As for the bigger moments, I absolutely love when, after Billy beats the shit out of Roger after finding out about the affair, Holly is the only one who cares he's lying bloodied on the ground and takes him to the hospital (this on the heels of having just been, once again - because this more realistic of soaps is still indeed a soap opera - locked in an enclosed space with him, and acknowledging her fear was based on the past, as his current actions were harmless, but she's forever traumatized and has difficulty separating then and now).  One of the umpteen great moments between Holly and Roger, especially when he chokes out a thank you and says "You're the only one".

And, prior to her discovering him, there are also tremendous performances from the rest in that whole saga; Jordan Clarke nails the rage that requires four people to get Billy off Roger, and then Kimberley Simms and Maeve Kinkaid with their reactions to Billy disowning Mindy -- Mindy's devastation is well done, but I'm even more moved by Vanessa's disgust.

*I've always wished they got to film the Acapulco events on location, like the Santo Domingo showdown that was supposed to be the end of Roger; Acapulco was such a pivotal storyline for them, and location shoots add a special touch to something so important.  But it's still utterly fantastic television, and Maureen Garrett and Michael Zaslow well deserved the hearty applause they got from the crew and assembled cast after they finished the scenes of reckoning.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

I felt bad for her when Alexandra was torturing her.  

Even then, I was meh. And rooting for Alexandra.

Roger was a dirtbag, for sure. But Mindy really betrayed Alexandra. Even back in the day when Mindy was dating Philip, Alex was always nice to her, and always treated her well.

And I could be more charitable had Mindy and Roger's union just been a drunken one night stand or whatever...but their affair kept going on and escalated to the point where Mindy got pregnant (or enough to have a pregnancy scare) and also she and Roger were having sex in Alex's own bed.

So no, not much sympathy for Mindy from me. As bad as Roger was, Mindy really should have know better.

• Love 4

I'm watching this now, what I can find on You tube. 

I've watched Acapulco, but so far no one knows about Mindy and Roger.

I never watched GL when it was on, but it's so good. I also find the storyline with Billy drinking is pretty well done for a soap.

I don't mind the Coopers but I loathe Nadine.

• Love 1

I started watching GL around 78ish but more full time 79-80 till the end. It’s was sooooo good until a year or so towards the end. There was such good acting. It was like Broadway everyday. Good times. I miss GL & ATWT greatly. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Yes!!  Good stories, good characters, good sets, good acting, good intro with the lighthouse facets... everything!

These people felt like our family, our neighbors.  We cared about them.  And they cared about us, the audience.

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

And, prior to her discovering him, there are also tremendous performances from the rest in that whole saga; Jordan Clarke nails the rage that requires four people to get Billy off Roger, and then Kimberley Simms and Maeve Kinkaid with their reactions to Billy disowning Mindy -- Mindy's devastation is well done, but I'm even more moved by Vanessa's disgust.

Don't forget Nadine fretting over Billy having hurt his knuckles over beating the shit out of Roger...lol  She absolutely enjoyed Billy lambasting Vanessa over not telling him about Mindy's affair with Roger.

Before Alex spilled the beans about Mindy's affair with Roger to Billy. I absolutely enjoyed the scene between Alex and Mindy over at the lighthouse. 

Mindy is sleeping in her bed after having had sex with Nick. Her eyes are closed and she hears somebody come in her room and she says "Nick come back to bed and make love to me again and somebody caresses her hair and then suddenly Mindy is yanked violently by her hair and we see it is Alex and the battle between the ladies began after the commercial break/theme song.. Alex was vicious in arguing with Mindy.  Mindy fights back with vicious words as well. Her taunting Alex really bothered me because it showed that  a part of Mindy had no remorse over hurting Alex. 

21 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Roger was a dirtbag, for sure. But Mindy really betrayed Alexandra. Even back in the day when Mindy was dating Philip, Alex was always nice to her, and always treated her well.

Alex loved Mindy and never judged her even when she hurt Philip back in the day. So her betrayal really hurt Alex.

21 hours ago, Hiyo said:

And I could be more charitable had Mindy and Roger's union just been a drunken one night stand or whatever...but their affair kept going on and escalated to the point where Mindy got pregnant (or enough to have a pregnancy scare) and also she and Roger were having sex in Alex's own bed.

Mindy did get pregnant and lost the baby.  Alex found Mindy's earring under her bed and she was able to put two and two together.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Don't forget Nadine fretting over Billy having hurt his knuckles over beating the shit out of Roger...lol  She absolutely enjoyed Billy lambasting Vanessa over not telling him about Mindy's affair with Roger.

Oh, Nadine.  A lot of times she cracked me up, but she was also frequently hard to take during that whole Billy arc.  The contrast between Vanessa's "The hell is wrong with you?" attitude towards Billy's disowning of Mindy and Nadine's "How dare they keep things from you?" (and, yes, her fretting about his knuckles when everyone else is Dude just attempted homicide and disowned his daughter! concerned for the actual severity of the situation, even while coming at it completely from Billy's POV) is another good aspect of that showdown, but I am totally Team Vanessa on that one.

I liked the friendship - always with the friendships on this show! - Nadine and Holly developed (the actors having done the same helped, I'm sure), and wish they hadn't let that slide.  There was a nice moment between them at the Fifth Street diner, where they talked about how they'd fallen out of each other's orbits, and I wish they'd kept up occasional lunches, relating in a whole new way.

Alas, while GL was great at friendships, sometimes they really dropped the ball by letting them go.  Holly and Michelle's relationship being largely forgotten about is my major peeve, and back in the day I read both actors express displeasure at that as well.  Sometimes people are really important in your life at a specific time and then you both move on, but their relationship was so special and they had so many connections that, while they wouldn't have spent as anywhere near as much time together or been so dependent on each other, they'd have maintained a bond and been there when it counted.

• Love 5