Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Guiding Light

I've been watching some episodes from 1984. These are new to me as I never watched this show live. Not the best year, I gather it was in transition. Annabelle and Tony are cute. 

Josh and Reva are just awful. I know this is supposed to be true love or something but I find them an awful couple. I'm at the story where he's paralyzed and all he does is yell and she shrieks. I ff through most of it. Even without the yelling, I just don't see this great couple.

I also think Kim Zimmer isn't that great of an actress, or maybe it's how they were directing her. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 3:22 PM, cleo said:

Josh and Reva are just awful. I know this is supposed to be true love or something but I find them an awful couple. I'm at the story where he's paralyzed and all he does is yell and she shrieks. I ff through most of it. Even without the yelling, I just don't see this great couple.

I always hated them. I never watched regularly, but I came in right around when Josh and Annie's relationship began. I liked them together and I hate how it was ruined just so Josh and Reva could do their usual "on again, off again" crap for the millionth time.

I know how soaps are (and even real life sometimes) but I can't abide by couples that come out of someone else being hurt and neither of them having any remorse over it.

• Like 2

I never saw that, I saw bits and pieces when Reva died and Harley was there. I enjoyed that, I like Harley. 

Still on the tail end of 1984, been slow watching. I skip a lot. Beth and Lujack boring, the Brandon Spaulding story is boring. I've mostly been watching India's storyline.

I loathe Phillip. 

I dont know why Vincent I. never ended up as a long term main lead on any soap. He seemed to just do short term stints. He was attractive enough and a good actor. I like Lujack, it's Beth I find tedious. I just dont like the perfect, nice, bland characters. Prefer Mindy or India.

• Like 1

I've mostly been watching India's storyline.

India and Alex were gold together.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 2

So it's really whiplash with the change in actors playing Phillip. It wouldn't be so bad without the complete personality change. GA goes from loathing and hating India and being obsessed with Beth to the new guy who just forgets about Beth and falls in love with India. 

Is the fact that Claire slept with Ed ever a storyline? Like the issue that she is pregnant with Michelle? Maybe I'm not there yet, but it's like they mentioned they slept together and then dropped it?

Not really into Kyle and Reva but Kyle is interesting at least.

So far I really think it was much much better in the 70s, with Alan, Roger, Holly, Amanda, original bitchy Vanessa. Wish I could see more from then.

• Like 2

I missed Guiding Light, it one of the greatest soap opera era ever. But I have to admit in the last 5 years before cancellation. It was horrible. Ellen Wheelers destroy Guiding Light single handling. It sad. I was hoping reboot but now I know that it been 10 years gone, ain't going to happening. My favorite part of Guiding Light was back in the early 80's where there were double murder going on, and turn out Ross's girlfriend Carrie who responsible of murder of Diane Ballard and Joe Bradley. That was great storylines. The other ones the Lewis family, full of conflict and so on. There is so much to tell, but I can't remember all them. lol  I just want to say one last time about the Guiding Light.  I will missed Guiding Light forever. 

Edited by BigMonkey2019
  • Like 4

I think the consensus among most GL fans is that it was a good show from the 70s up until the early 90s. The it began a slow decline (maybe not even that slow for some) up until cancellation. And while there might have been some good stories here and there after the early 90s, it's glory days were definitely behind it at that point.

So on the current season (6) of Crystal Chappell's web series Venice, there was a mini reunion of GL actors: Kim Zimmer, Beth Chamberlain, Orlagh Cassidy, Jerry VerDorn, Michael O' Leary, Ricky Paul Goldin and Michelle Rae Smith were all featured. Along with regulars on the series Jessica Leccia, Robert Newman and Tina Sloane.

It was pretty cool seeing them all together and filming in New Jersey. Though I think this web series still looks 1000 times better than GL looked at the end and I'm sure the budget is much smaller!

12 hours ago, hypnotoad said:

So on the current season (6) of Crystal Chappell's web series Venice, there was a mini reunion of GL actors: Kim Zimmer, Beth Chamberlain, Orlagh Cassidy, Jerry VerDorn, Michael O' Leary, Ricky Paul Goldin and Michelle Rae Smith were all featured. Along with regulars on the series Jessica Leccia, Robert Newman and Tina Sloane.

It was pretty cool seeing them all together and filming in New Jersey. Though I think this web series still looks 1000 times better than GL looked at the end and I'm sure the budget is much smaller!

Wow! I've got to watch the new season.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 12:49 AM, Hiyo said:

I think the consensus among most GL fans is that it was a good show from the 70s up until the early 90s. The it began a slow decline (maybe not even that slow for some) up until cancellation. And while there might have been some good stories here and there after the early 90s, it's glory days were definitely behind it at that point.

Jill Pharren Phelps killed the show with her managing style and the show never recovered. She killed off Maureen  Bauer for a cheap ratings grab. It was under her watch, the show lost Alexandra, Blake and Mindy who were played by awesome actresses. The recasts left alot to be desired..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 4

So I jumped ahead to 1987 bc I wanted to see when Harley first came. Except I dont think I can find her early scenes.

But Alexandra and HB in a relationship? That seems  really really unnatural. 

Nice to see Alan again and Josh. Especially Josh lol.

Edited by cleo