Type keyword(s) to search

Hap And Leonard - General Discussion

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Man, that was sad.  Poor TJ never stood a chance.

Pour one out for TJ. Was this his first (and only) episode? I liked him all things considered. Did the pastor not know that the peckerheads knew about the crypt or did he and laid that trap?

3 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Pour one out for TJ. Was this his first (and only) episode? I liked him all things considered.

I seem to recall seeing him once before.  According to IMDb, he's been in 2 previous episodes (the 1st and 2nd this season).

I finally finished Season 1.  That was much more intense than this season has been - the Rev did his killings offscreen.    I have to admire Angel -- an arrow through the neck and she was still throwing Hap and Leonard around like puppies.

I didn't know that Lansdale was the knucklehead genius behind Bubba Ho-Tep, but it fits!

10 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I finally finished Season 1.  That was much more intense than this season has been - the Rev did his killings offscreen.    I have to admire Angel -- an arrow through the neck and she was still throwing Hap and Leonard around like puppies.

I didn't know that Lansdale was the knucklehead genius behind Bubba Ho-Tep, but it fits!

Might've been intense but season 2 is overall so much better. This show is one of a rare few that benefitted from a showrunner change.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Lansdale also wrote the teleplay.  One mystery solved, one still open.  Is it the father or son or both that killed little BB?

I had forgotten -- BB's corpse led them to Ilium whose clippings led to the "Idaho Murders", but BB wasn't put in the crypt, so he wasn't killed by the Rev.  So his death is still unsolved.

1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

Might've been intense but season 2 is overall so much better. This show is one of a rare few that benefitted from a showrunner change.

I agree -- another season like the first would have been too much.  

Lansdale has stories from different points in their lives -- I wonder if we'll get one of those at some point.  Maybe one of the short stories will be covered by an episode.

3 hours ago, Skyfall said:

There are how many missing kids? 22? 13 are accounted for so 9 arent. Were there two serial killers?

Some of the kids might not be killed (run away or died accidentally) and some may have been killed in "single" incidents (parent or step-parent goes homicidal).  There is probably a second serial killer (the town Hap and Leonard live in is a second Cabot Cove!), or BB's killer might not have killed any of the other boys.

On 4/15/2017 at 11:12 AM, jhlipton said:

Lansdale has stories from different points in their lives -- I wonder if we'll get one of those at some point. 

So far they've only been doing the novels in chronological order, season 1 was Savage Season, season 2 Mucho Mojo.  I haven't read any of the short stories, gotta seek them out.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:47 AM, Skyfall said:

This show is one of a rare few that benefitted from a showrunner change.

And the source material from the second novel was much better.

Far too much that should have been known sooner -- that Red Sneaker Boy was Miriam's son (why didn't they spot her pendant before) and that he was also the Sheriff's son (if the Sheriff loved him, they would have been seen around town a lot more).  Beau killing him out of jealousy when he gets all of Daddy's attention just doesn't ring true to me.

I'm guessing next season will be about the last 14 boys and how the Klan is involved -- with them and with the arson back in the day.

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

I'm guessing next season will be about the last 14 boys and how the Klan is involved -- with them and with the arson back in the day.

But the first season was based on Savage Season, this season on Mucho Mojo, wouldn't next season logically be based on the third novel The Two-Bear Mambo?

8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

But the first season was based on Savage Season, this season on Mucho Mojo, wouldn't next season logically be based on the third novel The Two-Bear Mambo?

I guess we're supposed to believe the Klan killed at least some of the boys, then.  I dunno.

I also don't get why the number of painted angels mattered.  TJ was working on one when he was shot, so we can't say there wouldn't have been more, only when he started.  Seems to me there should be 9, one for each the Reverend sent to Heaven.  But there were 14.  So what happened 14 years ago?

• Love 1
On 4/20/2017 at 9:40 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Which makes sense given that the web extra for this finale said the actors are interested in telling a Klan story and that boom is based in a Klan infested town.

• Love 1

The actress playing Angel looks like Tim Curry in drag.

This is the second role of hers I don't like her in. Can't stand her in Walking Dead.

Really don't care for her.

On 4/3/2017 at 9:55 AM, sugarbaker design said:

It was a little white boy who was tied to that gate, could it have been a revenge crime?

Really? I didn't see any white children.  I thought the boy tied to the gate was black, just light-skinned.

• Love 1

Okay, not sure if this has been discussed or not, sorry if it has...But does it bother anyone else that a show that supposed to be placed in the "80's has so many of today's features?  I mean cell phones were just getting going in late '80's, I'd bet a plum nickel East Texas was barely on any cell phone grids.  Or fashion-wise, the whole zipper down the back of the skirt now that's definitely a 2013/14 trend, right? And this is just a coupla' items, I could go on, but thankfully, I won't. Just wondered if it bothers anyone else? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine, many tv series and movies do this, but I enjoy period projects for a reason, so why don't they keep to the period?  I love this show and love Michael K Williams, ever since "Omar" from "The Wire", and James Purefoy, since "Rome", but MKW has a lot more range, I so hope he is at least nominated for an Emmy.  I love "Hap and Leonard", but when I'm fond of a show, I worry it will get cancelled, such was the fate of several of my other favs, "Terriers", "The Unusuals", and now, "Underground".

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:14 AM, Strangebird said:

Okay, not sure if this has been discussed or not, sorry if it has...But does it bother anyone else that a show that supposed to be placed in the "80's has so many of today's features?  I mean cell phones were just getting going in late '80's, I'd bet a plum nickel East Texas was barely on any cell phone grids.  Or fashion-wise, the whole zipper down the back of the skirt now that's definitely a 2013/14 trend, right? And this is just a coupla' items, I could go on, but thankfully, I won't. Just wondered if it bothers anyone else? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine, many tv series and movies do this, but I enjoy period projects for a reason, so why don't they keep to the period?  I love this show and love Michael K Williams, ever since "Omar" from "The Wire", and James Purefoy, since "Rome", but MKW has a lot more range, I so hope he is at least nominated for an Emmy.  I love "Hap and Leonard", but when I'm fond of a show, I worry it will get cancelled, such was the fate of several of my other favs, "Terriers", "The Unusuals", and now, "Underground".

Don't worry we have a third season!

Hap and Leonard Season 3 Release Date and Trailer

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/hap-and-leonard/264363/hap-and-leonard-season-3-release-date-and-trailer

Hap and Leonard: The Two Bear Mambo

Set once again in East Texas just before Christmas of 1989, Hap and Leonard scramble to locate Florida Grange, who has gone missing in the Klan-infested town of Grovetown. Once again at the center of an impending storm of Biblical proportion, Hap and Leonard find themselves at odds with a cast of characters so tough they could chew the bumper off a pickup truck, including a possibly corrupt sheriff, and the leader of the Caucasian Knights. The boys learn that the good guys don’t always win, and nobody beats Mother Nature.

March 7, 2018    SundanceTV      10 p.m.

• Love 2

I'm sorry but Florida was flat-out stupid, dumb and idiotic.  As soon as the chief failed to call the FBI, she should have high-tailed it out of town, called the FBI and came back with a flotilla of federal marshals by her side.  What the holy hell was she thinking?????

• Love 6
(edited)

ICAM. That plus the local head of the KKK taking a personal interest in her presence? Nope, she was just being stupid and not at all brave. It's almost taking me out of the show because it's hard to imagine someone like her acting so dumb. She knows better.

I'm gonna need blondie the bigot sheriff to meet a brutal, untimely death by the end of this season. Cash money she's the one who killed Bobby Joe Soothe--after she had sex with him.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

OMG, after all Hap and Leonard went through to rescue her, Tiffany Florida still died. This has been my least favorite season of Hap and Leonard. Too dark.

Wonder if there'll be a fourth season?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
actor vs character

So how long was Florida in that car trunk?  She was already in there before Hap & Leonard first went to Groveville.  I don't know how much time passed during the series but there was time for them to get beat up, go back home, and heal up pretty well.  Surely that was at least a week or two.  How did she survive in the trunk all that time?  This season was REALLY hard to watch, but I sure do love those guys!

• Love 3
On 4/12/2018 at 8:30 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

This has been my least favorite season of Hap and Leonard. Too dark.

Pardon my language, but I felt that Lansdale shit and pissed on the story.  Florida's death was cheap and stupid and totally deus ex machina. Trudy's death in season 1 was earned, and heartbreaking as it was, it was inevitable.  But Florida was disposed of like a Cartwright woman.  That's bad writing.  I waqsn't sad -- I was PISSED!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

I didnt read the Books,was her Death there the same ?

None of the reviews I read of the book even mention a "downer ending", so it doesn't sound like it.  Maybe @sugarbaker design can enlighten us.

A person can go a week without food, I think, but not water, and Florida did get water.

21 hours ago, bigmag said:

So how long was Florida in that car trunk?

I think she got knocked out a day or two before Hap and Leonard went down, which was Christmas Eve.  They found her New Year's Day.  That would be about 8 or 9 days. 

On 4/14/2018 at 11:37 AM, jhlipton said:

None of the reviews I read of the book even mention a "downer ending", so it doesn't sound like it.  Maybe @sugarbaker design can enlighten us.

I read The Two Bear Mambo back in 1995, and while I do remember Florida never got out of Grovetown alive, I don't recall the specifics of her demise.

Edited by sugarbaker design
10 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I read The Two Bear Mambo back in 1995, and while I do remember Florida never got out of Grovetown alive, I don't recall the specifics of her demise.

The details don't really matter that much.  This is one time that I wish they had said, "Sorry, Joe, but what works in the book won't work on TV.  Write us a different ending, kay?"

Agree about the ending - too abrupt and seemed to wreck the narrative.  A shame because this was easily the best season, if incredibly hard to watch.

Reynolds' death was satisfying if only because the character was so cardboard.

What happened to Sneed? Did he die in the flood? I saw him clutching a wound (knee?) but nothing after that.  I hope he made it - that was a badass shot to take out Reynolds while hit.

There had better be a Season 4.  I love this show.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2018 at 3:25 PM, pootlus said:

Agree about the ending - too abrupt and seemed to wreck the narrative.  A shame because this was easily the best season, if incredibly hard to watch.

+100 on all points

On 4/12/2018 at 11:30 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

OMG, after all Hap and Leonard went through to rescue her, Tiffany Florida still died. This has been my least favorite season of Hap and Leonard. Too dark.

Wonder if there'll be a fourth season?

On 4/14/2018 at 3:23 AM, jhlipton said:

Pardon my language, but I felt that Lansdale shit and pissed on the story.  Florida's death was cheap and stupid and totally deus ex machina. Trudy's death in season 1 was earned, and heartbreaking as it was, it was inevitable.  But Florida was disposed of like a Cartwright woman.  That's bad writing.  I waqsn't sad -- I was PISSED!

On 4/15/2018 at 3:09 PM, sugarbaker design said:

On 4/16/2018 at 1:44 AM, jhlipton said:

The details don't really matter that much.  This is one time that I wish they had said, "Sorry, Joe, but what works in the book won't work on TV.  Write us a different ending, kay?"

On 4/24/2018 at 6:25 PM, pootlus said:

Reynolds' death was satisfying if only because the character was so cardboard.

What happened to Sneed? Did he die in the flood? I saw him clutching a wound (knee?) but nothing after that.  I hope he made it - that was a badass shot to take out Reynolds while hit.

There had better be a Season 4.  I love this show.

I thought it was pretty clear that the curse/devil targeted anyone who tried to apporiate the music made in relation to the deal with the devil. Soothe was killed by the clan as he got famous, Bobby Joe was killed by the clan/ice queen after trying to sell the record, and Florida was killed by the flood as she was looking into licensing if she didn’t like the cut from the DJ. Not to mention the DJ’s house burned down as he tried to buy the recording and likely would’ve died if he had bought it and apporiated it himself.

EDIT: Also I want to know if that frog was around every death scene or at least around them shortly before they died since I feel that was representative of the devil.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 3