Type keyword(s) to search

Roadies - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Nostalgia is okay. I find rotary phones kind of comforting-oddly enough, they remind me of my grandma's house and answering the phone for her on Sunday afternoons after lunch. I don't know if I'd call CC's views "dated", or just narrow, or what. I still find his writing of these people to be mostly soulless and empty.

You've got a woman breaking her marriage vows and we've not seen her have really much conflict over it. Am I really supposed to be rooting for Shelli and Bill? Haven't they ever heard the old adage of "if they'll cheat WITH you, they'll cheat on you?" Because it's true, so true. You've got a man who learned a few episodes ago, that his supposed best friend (Bill, again) slept with a woman he was supposedly madly in love with. Not only does Bill show no real remorse to Christopher, he doesn't even bother to try to apologize. Where is Bill's regret? Where is Christopher's anger? Why do they use things like Shelli's never before seen husband's father's death, as an emotional beat? It's all just so....bizarre.

• Love 1

I still don't like Phil-I think he may be the most annoying character on the show, and that's a tight race.

I didn't cry, but did get sad during Phil's talk about LS. Who doesn't know at least some of the lyrics to "Sweet Home Alabama?". 

I guess this show just isn't for me, because I still find the characters to be devoid of any real souls. Already posted about it in another thread, so won't repeat it here. Just having a hard time connecting with any of them, because I find them to be mostly empty shells. I really do love Rafe Spall, BUT.....I  hope this show doesn't get renewed, or he moves on after the end of this season. He deserves better.

As far as Reg, he's a numbers man-not a hatchet man. It's his job to keep them in the budget, not necessarily his job to fire anyone. As he told Phil, it wasn't even his directive to fire Phil-that came from above. I do think there's going to be outrage on the part of the Roadies when it comes out that Reg is there to "break up" the band. But it sounds to me like it has nothing to do with finances. Someone wants the lead singer to go solo. That really isn't about how much money the band is spending. I don't have a hard time buying Reg's concern, but that's only because Rafe Spall can sell it for me.  But the connections between these people are still not there for me.

The entire show is forced-that is it's problem in a nutshell. Some of the actors have no chemistry with each other. I can't and won't buy that these people are a "family" just because the show says it. There has to be more for me. I have to FEEL it, I have to SEE it. And with this show and this cast, I just don't. The most annoying aspect of it is the pushing of Kelly Ann and Reg. There's nothing there for me, and I don't buy Reg would be interested in her-nor she for him, really-not for a minute.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 1

I'm missing the big reveal -- I guess the band's label wants it to break up because there's more sales/interest in them as solo acts? Why would they think that a tour featuring one person would be that much less expensive than one featuring the whole band? You still have to have other performers, don't you? You still have to pay them. Maybe not as much as the band's cost, but my understanding is that the band pays for the tour, regardless. The expenses come out of their proceeds. 

I don't like Phil, but I guess I like him better. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole genesis of this show was because CC wanted to write that episode. It's the kind of thing he loves. As  a kid growing up in Florida, Skynard was the best of the southern rock bands. But they were still, in my mind, just one of the southern rock bands. I'll have to pull out my albums -- maybe there's a lot more there than Freebird (which ended every single dance of junior and senior high) and Sweet Home Alabama. 

I look forward to this show every week, but I admit a lot of it feels rushed. I don't know how we got from Bill and Shelly screwing, then deciding not to screw and Shelly being torn up about cheating, to them kind of constantly screwing now. Seems as though there's a catalyst somewhere we're missing. Or maybe it's just like we old sportswriters used to say -- "ain't nobody married on the road." And even I am getting a little tired of the group shot of everyone sitting around singing and smiling. I think it's an important idea for the group and the show, but we're getting a little close to Fonzie hitting the jukebox now. 

I look forward to t his show every week and am sort of shocked that its not getting good reviews?
 It started a little slow but critics should be allowed to review unless they've seen a substantial number of episodes.

Some of the best series have been cut too soon, just as people were getting on board.

I swear the Canadian border guard was an Akroyd. I looked at IMBD although they list other random smaller part actors they don't list the border guard. Dan Akroyd had 3 girls. Could he be a grandson? A nephew or grand nephew? Couldn't find anything. His voice sounded like an Akroyd and he looked a little like an Akroyd, even had that slightly simple thing going on.

Phil was telling war stories. Every quirky or high stress job has them. I never thought I'd do it, but I tell them all the time. As long as you make it interesting, people will listen.

Of course with Phil, told 40 years later and through the narrowed lens of heavy drinking and drug use, there's a tendency to embellish and romanticize, but hey.  They're called war stories for a reason.

That airport seizure is straight out of the Eagles Documentary.

I have to say, this was a great episode.

(edited, because damn it's 40 not 30 years down the line)

Edited by WaltersHair

Of all the characters on this show, I never would have guessed that Phil would be the one to get me teary. No matter how embellished his Lynyrd Skynyrd war story was, there were two bits of genuine truth - sadness at the death of talented artists (well, death in general too) and the joy in finding a place where you fit in.

One thing that has amused me is the continuing assortment of t-shirts that Reg has been wearing. I'm not a huge fan of the lost suitcase plotline, but it's been fun to see him in shirts representing the places they've been on tour. I knew a girl who lived in Weed, so that was a cool (although admittedly very minor) connection for me.

I guess we'll see if Reg feels guilty enough to tell everyone the truth next week or if he'll just run around with a constipated look on his face as he struggles to keep the secret from bursting out of his mouth.

Last week, I laughed when they were talking about David Spade being on Dead Sex, so I love that they go him to play the part on the fake show. It reminded me of Phantasma, the faux Twilight-esque movie in Huge (another Winnie Holzman show).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I love this show but I have to give major props for Sunday night's show.   Phil revealing his history in the business and his association with Ronnie Van Zant and Lynyrd Skynyrd was fabulous. Ron White's performance both on an off camera as he was narrating was brilliant.  It's another instance of great comedian also being a great dramatic actor.  There have been many others (Jackie Gleason, Jerry Lewis, Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg and Eddie Murphy who should have gotten an Oscar for Dreamgirls as examples) and he now is in that company.

11 hours ago, cali1981 said:

It's another instance of great comedian also being a great dramatic actor.  There have been many others (Jackie Gleason, Jerry Lewis, Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg and Eddie Murphy who should have gotten an Oscar for Dreamgirls as examples) and he now is in that company.

Don't forget about David Spade's performance in Dead Sex. He's like a young Anthony Hopkins (according to Reg, at least).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Don't forget about David Spade's performance in Dead Sex. He's like a young Anthony Hopkins (according to Reg, at least).

Unfortunately I don't think that David Spade is funny in anything, although he might be hilarious doing Hamlet.

I don't think the guy playing Phil is funny, but this is the only thing I can remember seeing the actor in. I think the reason Phil is the one who got me and some others teary, is because he's such a harsh, borderline-or not so borderline- psychotic character.

I am not so steeped in emotionally with these characters or their stories.  This show is very different than others that I watch.  The appeal is more about the atmosphere that surrounds these people.  Most of us can relate to the concert experience - no matter what decade !!! The excitement of waiting for the band, the carefree feeling that comes with "letting go"  for a few hours.  Even the sadness conjured - the Who story, Lynyrd Skynyrd - ...I guess it takes me back to a time I miss, but can visit now and then through music and stories.

• Love 1

This was a perfect example of Roadies. An interesting depiction of characters who are really questioning their place in the world, but with enthusiasm. Then a romantic subplot kicks in and the show grinds to a halt.

55 minutes ago, Abiding Dude said:

The romance is as much artifice as anything else in the show. This is probably my favorite program of this summer.

Mine, too.

I do think the Kelly Anne stuff is getting forced a bit, and I'd like to see either more of or less of the band. 

When West Wing was being pitched and created, it wasn't supposed to be much about Bartlett at all -- just the staffers and the pieces that go into a presidency. But Martin Sheen liked it, and you can't really pass up the chance to have more Martin Sheen, so the show became much more about Jed Bartlett and his presidency than the surrounding people. 

I think Roadies is in the same boat. The more they get into the band, the more they have to get into the band, and the band is going to be more interesting than their support staff. So if I were writing it, I'd get rid of all the band stuff and have them be just this giant bag that has to be moved and manipulated instead of being a part of the actual cast and workings of the tour. Because even though we've got limited investment in the Roadies at this point, we have NO investment in SHB as an entity, and dropping this new plot line in now seems like they ran out of ideas. 

• Love 1

I'm going to forgive the Reg/Kelly Ann interlude. I like them. Ma and Pa and the smelly guy with eraser girl? Eh.

Were they trying to recreate Hotel California, but in a literal sense?

I don't know how they will be able to redeem themselves in the next episode.  Selfish band members breaking up. That's not new at all!

• Love 1

I used to live in San Diego so I was looking forward to seeing this episode just for the beautiful locations. I loved that they showed so many places in the establishing shots at the beginning of the episode. It looks like the FunCo event was supposed to be located at the Del Mar Racetrack (which is why it made no sense when Reg said that Some Like It Hot was filmed "just over there" because the Hotel Del is not near Del Mar).

Always fun to see Ivana Milicevic (and it's nice to see a 40-something actress who is still working steadily).

Part of the reason I don't like the Reg/Kelly Ann romance is that it feels so forced to me. The power dynamic also bothers me too. I know that he's not her direct supervisor or anything, but he came in and basically said he had the power to fire anyone so to me that means there is an imbalance of power in their relationship on a professional level. She still looks like a teenager to me and he looks like an adult man which also tipped the scales into the negative for me, but I just looked and she's only five years younger than he is.

I don't mind Reg and Kelly Ann.  I like them way better than Reg and Janine - I hated Janine on sight, lol, and especially hated her too big mouth and too big smile.  And, OMG, the fucking hay!  Hated the whole thing with the hay.

I'm also not really ok with Carla's character cheating on her husband.  Maybe he's cheating on her as well and this is how they roll, but it just makes it all seem so sordid and gross. 

I did laugh a lot this episode, because my company hires bands for our corporate and customer events.  I was shocked at how well-known and wildly popular some of the bands/musicians are that will perform at corporate events - Sheryl Crow, Eric Clapton, Jon Mayer...  It's all about the Benjamins, and it shows on their faces when they have to do the obligatory photos with our execs and customers after they do their shows.

• Love 1

I love the show and liked this episode as well. Bill and Shelli becoming an item seems entirely natural to me. Their shared experience with SHB would almost have to bring them together.  Besides Shelli (AKA Carla Gugino) is so damn hot and sexy how could Bill not want her   It's a more advanced version of a showmance but will it last? No mention of Phil probably going to meet Ricky Van Zant in that great rock arena in the sky?  Ron White has been amazing during his time on the show and if he truly is gone, I will miss him.

I'm going to try this again. Posted in the wrong place.

Will we ever know what Phil whispered to Kelly Ann? Will it be pearls of wisdom or something delirious?

Spoiler

I assume he's going to die as all the previews point to a funeral. I will actually miss him, but it's good if he goes now. Glory day stories get old.

It's all been the Local Hero journey for Reg.  Blecch.  He is in no way special.  He's a corporate hack who sold himself a very long time ago.  Rafe is OK, but he is no Peter Riegert.  The soundtrack, with the notable exception of the Skynrd ep, has not touched the soundtrack Mark Knopfler fashioned.

The best part of this ep, for me, was the break-up notice drawing upon a favorite Neil Young tune (Long May You Run) about a car.  I loved dialing it up on my sound system.  

Broken record here, but getting involved in a love affair with a married person is outrageously toxic for one in recovery.  This is especially so when there is so much back and forth.  It is in chaos that sooooo many relapses are born.  Bill has already drank, it just hasn't hit his tongue yet.  

I didn't hate Phil.  I didn't much buy him as a human being, partly due to Ron White's uneven and surface portrayal.  Having said this, I was glad that his final thought (or at least what SHOULD HAVE been the final thought, was reliving the triumph in London with Skynrd.  I will ponder what I would like for mine to be.  For this, the show deserves props.

I don't see the show running much more.

• Love 1

It seems the show has one good episode, then the next is forgettable. Last week, the show at least gave us emotional stakes. Last night was so bland. 

You just nailed it.  I feel the same way.

The part with Rosanna Arquette was so over the top and just plain stupid, I was embarrassed to watch.  It was like an SNL skit thrown in the middle of a documentary.  That being said, the pic Kelly Ann snapped was pretty awesome looking.  

I do not get the Reg/Kelly Ann "thing" at all.  I like him but he looks so much older than her it's borderline creepy territory.  Is he supposed to be under 30?  Is she supposed to be over 20?  Maybe I have them pegged wrong.  I'd guess her to be 18/19 and him to be pushing 40.  

I find her character interesting but for the love of God, can they push those bangs away from her face?  It's driving me insane!  

The scene with a stuffed phil was so morbidly funny. I loved that Eddie Vedder ,jackson Browne and all these other famous musicians just went with hugging Dead Phil. I ended up really liking this show and hope it gets another season but if not I thought that this was a good series finale.

• Love 2

The tone of this show has just been on-point all season:  Wry but not cynical, worn but not frayed. I think as time goes on and people start binge watching this show it will be judged kindly as a little slice of a world that most of us will never know. I mostly hope this doesn't get renewed because this first season has just been about perfect (except for the skateboard scenes, what were they thinking?)

• Love 5

While I certainly wouldn't have minded Kelly Ann opening that door and kissing Reg (that couple really worked for me), I can't deny the emotional impact of Reg not giving up, pounding on the door even harder, finally in time with the music.  I can forgive a lot if an ending gets it right.  And this ending got it right.

• Love 5

Overall I liked it.  One big problem for me was the focus on the Kelly Ann and Reg romance.  She just seems like a child to me, even with the obviously being on her own going on tour with a band and being shown drinking both of which would usually signify she's a grown-up.  So it kind of creeped me out in a high school student/teacher way.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Abiding Dude said:

The tone of this show has just been on-point all season:  Wry but not cynical, worn but not frayed. I think as time goes on and people start binge watching this show it will be judged kindly as a little slice of a world that most of us will never know. I mostly hope this doesn't get renewed because this first season has just been about perfect (except for the skateboard scenes, what were they thinking?)

Completely agree with your thoughts but I have mixed feelings about a second season.  On the one hand this season, given the great finale, does feel like a one off. On the other hand, I'm so invested in these characters that I'd like to see more of them if the show runners can come up with a story line that makes some sense.  I really liked Richard Colson Baker (aka Machine Gun Kelly) as Wes.  He can act and when he sang he sounded good.  If there is a second season, I'd like to see more of Luis Guzman (Gooch) , one of my favorite character actors.  He recently got some some good news when, surprisingly, Code Black was renewed by CBS .  He's excellent in the show and his scenes with Marcia Gay Harden are terrific.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 1
On August 26, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Kiki620 said:

I do not get the Reg/Kelly Ann "thing" at all.  I like him but he looks so much older than her it's borderline creepy territory.  Is he supposed to be under 30?  Is she supposed to be over 20?  Maybe I have them pegged wrong.  I'd guess her to be 18/19 and him to be pushing 40.  

I had the same issue with Kelly Ann and Reg. She seems very young and he seems close to middle age. I checked on IMDB and in reality she's 27 and he's 33. 

• Love 1

I love this show. I admit I initially started watching it because I'm a bit of a Luke Wilson fan girl, but over  the course of a short 10 episodes, I grew to love this crew as much as Reg did, and want to see more of them. I hope there is another season.

• Love 1

So much earnestness.  So much striving.  So much for this series.

The fundamental lack of respect that whole outfit had made it impossible for me to invest in any substantial way.   I was a roadie.  The corporate douchebags and the helter skelter whims of the band itself are certainly a common hallmark of the industry.  This series tried to foist a "family" upon us, but at every turn, misunderstanding, half-truths, and most damning, truths withheld in service to draaaaaama were fatal to this show.

You've got the next show, if you're lucky, and that's it.  SHB didn't even show for the last one (again, very real).  You learn very early to not make relationships bigger than they are.  If you don't, you pay a big price.  Loyalty?  Caring for the other when you are on the hamster wheel yourself?  

We've got the protagonists Shellie and Bill who are cheating their husband and his recovery, which is virtually guaranteed to lead to serious destruction for him.   Kelly who refuses to grow up and pursue an artistic dream.  It's not like it was be a roadie or work the fry station at the golden arches.  Reg the soul-less hatchet man whom we are to accept is chasing the Muse.  And dead Phil.  Yay!  Family!

What?  No Puna prediction as they faded to black and potted to zero?

Sorry, Cameron, Spicoli would have done a better job.  At least he got a Van Halen concert out of it.

I am sincerely pleased for anyone this well-intentioned effort connected.  I really wanted to be among you.

• Love 3

I can't bring myself to watch this yet. When I heard Reg and Kelly Ann kissed, it killed any interest for me. I just don't like Kelly Ann as a character. It's mostly just that she's uninteresting and lame, but there's also the fact that I don't care for the actress. I have to be moved by/interested in the performer, or I won't buy into what they are selling.

• Love 1

UGH. I tuned in because of Rafe Spall, and it sounds like his character got the most hackneyed, clichéd resolution possible. I will eventually maybe watch the last two shows, but it sounds like I should take aspirin beforehand. Kelly Ann? Oh, Reg. I thought  you had taste. Really? YUCK.

Rafe Spall has a face made for pie.

I don't care how much I loved a person, I would never hug them once dead and taxidermied.  And people get upset when cgi animals are killed off screen?  This is much much much worse.

This was a nice shapeless little summer show.  I didn't expect much so I didn't get disappointed.  I never did figure out who the kid belonged to.  Why weren't either Staton or House speaking at the memorial?

1 hour ago, rlc said:

My DVR cut off the end of the episode. It ended with Reg running through the airport. Can someone fill me in on the last bit?

So did mine, but I watched the last scene again on a later airing.

He went back to the Forum and we saw him pounding on a door to let him in.  Guess that's fodder for another season, but I won't be back!

• Love 1

What is Phil's wife going to do with Phil now? Prop him in a corner as fun knickknack? Make him a coat rack by the front door? Put him in one of those dingy tourist spots in Arizona and charge a buck a photo?

Personally, I liked the series, but it should be a one and done. I'd watch any one of the individuals in something else.

I know the show is over, but I thought I might post about the final song of the show. I downloaded it on iTunes and listened to it today on an airplane. I sat there smiling like an idiot (like Reg was smiling).  It  made me want another season and I wasn't sure I wanted one before.

The song is called Delusions of Grand Fur by Rogue Wave.

• Love 1