Type keyword(s) to search

Roadies - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I'm trying really hard because everyone here means well, and I would much rather hate on a show that I thought was a cynical cash grab. I assume this show's problems started when Christina Hendricks dropped out. I like all the actors (Wilson, Gugino, Spall, and Poots), but I don't think I've ever seen a show where BOTH romantic couples have no spark. This was supposed to be some triumphant ending, but I was let down that of all her options, Shelli chose fucking Bill.

How boring and conventional to have Ma and Pa Roadie jump into the hay.  I could just as well have been watching Cheers or something, except they knew how to string out the tension.  How much more interesting to have Pa say "It's just the road and it gets lonely I know, and you're great but you're married and we've got to work together so I can't". 

• Love 2

Yeah, despite my quibble about the cassette-era anachronism, I am rather enjoying the show. The writing is fun, the characters (although somewhat bland) are non-cynical and full of life. The relationships are ALL forced but I guess I don't care because the actors seem like they are having a lot of fun. Also, the music is really top notch! Gram Parsons jacket was a huge bonus, Flying Burrito Brothers Forever!

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Totale said:

How boring and conventional to have Ma and Pa Roadie jump into the hay.  I could just as well have been watching Cheers or something, except they knew how to string out the tension.  How much more interesting to have Pa say "It's just the road and it gets lonely I know, and you're great but you're married and we've got to work together so I can't". 

Or that a guy can sleep with all the 20somethings he wants, and it's cool. But a woman has to be desperate to think about it.

• Love 3

On such a craaaaazy day when he did a yooge 8th and 9th Step, Bill would never have allowed himself to get caught up with Shelli as he did.  The show makes a special deal of recovery in this ep, and then mocks it.  Just horrible.

I like the Mike character, but he is way too knowledgeable.  They did not need to have him be so over the top with that.  

Warm and feeling Reg is such a mistake.  So, now there is no villain.  Nobody.

Opening acts' one and dones is yet another impossible trope they insist on beating to death.  Ugh.

• Love 2

For me, Reg has been written as way too sitcom-ish. I'm not saying that the rest of the show/characters are high class drama but they've drawn Reg as a cartoon character come to life. I know they are trying to how how different he is from everyone else, from his clothing and accent to his complete lack of understanding about anything other than spreadsheets about money, but he has two modes: either he is literally tripping over himself (as when he met Lindsey Buckingham) or a mustache twirling villain throwing temper tantrums and demanding to have people fired.

This episode was not great because the combination of Reg as a slobbering fan and Rainn Wilson ranting and then wandering around half naked was not appealing.

One thing I didn't understand was why Bill didn't protest at all when Lindsey said he shouldn't have fired Phil. If I were Bill, I would have clarified and said that firing Phil was not my decision and I was just as upset about it. I know that everyone tour is a big family and you don't go airing your dirty laundry but Bill didn't have to point the finger at Reg. There's keeping family business within the family and then there's taking the blame for something that someone else did.

7 hours ago, portfino said:

Or that a guy can sleep with all the 20somethings he wants, and it's cool. But a woman has to be desperate to think about it.

They could have gone with something radical, like a man and a woman in a workplace comedy (which is all this is) could be comrades and mutually supportive and perhaps even physically attracted (because they are human), but push it aside as I and probably you have had to at some point. Instead they've burned the relationship between two major characters in what I'm sure they were hoping would be a multi-season series 5 episodes in.  They would have had more to explore if she'd just banged the intern and had to face what works for him doesn't for her.

• Love 2

On the one hand, I felt bad for Reg because he had no idea that he wasn't supposed to say the C word on the bus. He has no idea about these superstitions/traditions so he can't be expected to know what he can and can't say. On the other hand, Reg annoys me. I also have no interest in seeing him hook up with Kelly Ann so watching them bond over stealing eggs just made me cringe.

It's also hard for me to feel that sorry for Kelly Ann. Boo hoo, everyone else already has plans for your day off and you feel left out. You know how to remedy that? When you see that you have a day off coming up on your schedule, ask someone if they want to hang out. But don't act like people are excluding you just because they make plans and don't send you an engraved invitation.

• Love 1

Another week, another version of Reg. This week he's Hugh Grant with a crush on someone. And it didn't make me like him any more.

Normally I'm not a fan of workplace romances so I was hoping that Bill and Shelli would just stay platonic BFFs but it was really obvious by the way she was freaking out about his absence that something was going to happen between them. They both seemed really happy afterward so that gave me hope that it wouldn't all blow up, but my main concern was that one of the driving forces behind this hookup was Shelli feeling so disconnected from her husband. It's one thing to fall in love with your coworker. It's another thing to sleep with your best friend because you are feeling neglected, lonely, and horny.

• Love 4

I still haven't began watching yet, but I kind of adore anything Rafe Spall does just on principle, even when the character is annoying. It kind of seems, just based on reading recaps, that all the characters are annoying, and that's the kicker. Reg is supposed to be the most annoying one probably, but they all kind of seem insufferable.

Maybe that's why some aren't warming up to the show, based on comments I see? I don't particularly like it when I feel a show is telling me I *must* root for a couple or like them because aren't they just CUTE. So I may not like Reg/Kelly Ann either, but can't say at this point.

Perhaps the fact that Reg seems to change with each episode, is a hint that he indeed can go back to being the villain when need be? From reading recaps, it seems at this point he is just trying to fit in. And when you try to change yourself to fit in with those around you, it only leads to disaster.

• Love 1

I was seriously loving the episode until the opening act showed up. I had an immediate, gut hate for them I can't explain and the episode just went to hell afterward.

It's like the show doesn't know what it wants to be: comedy, irony, drama, etc. The writing is all over the place.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Perhaps the fact that Reg seems to change with each episode, is a hint that he indeed can go back to being the villain when need be? From reading recaps, it seems at this point he is just trying to fit in. And when you try to change yourself to fit in with those around you, it only leads to disaster.

I think it's less about Reg the character trying to fit in and more about the writers doing a shit job at writing him well (or consistently).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I was seriously loving the episode until the opening act showed up. I had an immediate, gut hate for them I can't explain and the episode just went to hell afterward.

Yeah, for a show based in the world of music they're doing a seriously crappy job of choosing musical acts, aren't they?  The Head and the Heart were dull but inoffensive, but all the others have been grim.  I thought Dire Wolf or whoever they were were just bad actors until someone here gently informed me they were real.

ElectricBoogaloo-I am so intrigued at this point, I'm going to have to break down and watch. I just love RS-so I'm going to love watching him, no matter how shoddy the character and/or the show may be written. TBH, doesn't really sound like I'll be paying too much attention to anyone else. Just based on recaps-all the characters seem to be a level of annoying or pointless. But at least I know RS will entertain me. He always has, even when playing annoying characters.

On 7/25/2016 at 0:37 AM, portfino said:

I think the issue is more that she is married and contemplating cheating on her spouse.  I'd imagine if she was single then she'd jump that guys bones if she wanted, no judgment.

• Love 3

Still think it's nice and charming. I wish they could have put off mom and dad doing it for a while, but I'm a sucker for seeing "older" hookups, and I'm a sucker for watching the mechanics play out. Carla's last nod before i assume they did it was a nice, grown-up touch, and one you don't see a lot of. The stuff with her sister was good, too -- i imagine it's a tough life to compare to anyone else's. 

I hope it stays around for a while. It's a nice summer break of a show while I'm waiting for football season to start. 

• Love 3

The promo made it seem like this whole episode was going to focus on the fallout from Bill and Shelli sleeping together so I was relieved when Bill told her it was a one time thing and there was no need for her to freak out about it. But then he had to go and suggest that maybe they should see what could happen between them when they were in the hallway.

Janine was the other big surprise in this episode. Talk about the stereotypical woman scorned. I can understand why she hated having her ex wax poetic about her on talk shows as this great love of his life who became his inspiration for several songs, especially when he preferred to keep her as this mythical muse instead of an actual person who he could be bothered to call. On the other hand, I'm reminded of Adele's ex who thought he was entitled to a cut of her album sales because some of the songs were about him.

High five for the discussion about how lame the phrase "it is what it is" is. I blame the first season of Top Chef for that phrase becoming overused!

• Love 2

Once again was loving this episode until the end. The actress that played Janine was so good, that at first I didn't believe she just used Reg like a burner phone and threw him away. I know we're supposed to hate him for being corporate and 'cheating' on Kelly Ann with Janine, but I just don't dislike him enough as a character for that to work. Did they really have to make her a psycho bitch from hell?

Edited by WaltersHair
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I loved the glow in the dark hula hoops.

They're actually LED hoops (there are also glow in the dark hoops covered with glow tape which are much cheaper). They cost about $500 each. There are several companies that make them and there are less expensive versions (you can get a very simple LED hoop with one color for about $100), but the ones used in this episode are capable of multiple light patterns that look really cool if you actually hoop with them (rather than just holding them up).

• Love 1

Can't totally hate on an ep in which Local Hero is significant.

One thing I genuinely loved was how Tom was all caring and warm and giving to his minder, yet to his son he is a stranger.  Awesome metaphor for the music industry.  Chasing fame or the Muse usually causes one to lose their most important life pieces.

Glad to see Reg get Reg-ed.  Are we supposed to actually care?  

Really nice try with JCM and the guitar/music/life lesson.  I could not get past what a total jerk he was.  I care not if he is redeemed to some extent (who knows?) nowadays.

A lot rides on the next ep.  Here's hoping it pays off. 

Okay, so I broke down and paid the money to get Showtime on Hulu for Rafe Spall. I know he would never probably lurk here, but if he does, Rafe, you are the only reason I bothered, and the only reason I will continue to bother.

Yes, you're worth every bit of the money and then some. But this show? UGH. TBH, I knew from the get go that it wouldn't be my cup of tea. I don't find "f this and f that" every five minutes to be entertaining. I get that they are rock musicians and roadies, etc and they probably do all talk that way. And I have a choice about watching it, don't I? No one is forcing me. Just going to say it 100% is absolutely not the kind of thing I would watch except for RS.

And after seeing all six episodes so far, my original idea from just recaps and clips was right: Reg Whitehead is the best thing about this show-and I don't think that was the show runner's original intention(s).

I don't like the Poots chick, nor do I like Kelly Ann. True, part of the dislike for Kelly Ann is that I see people online rooting for her and Reg to get together, and I personally think such a thing would be a disaster. They are both too emotionally repressed and stubborn. It would be passionate, but only in Hollywoodland, with their unrealistic fake happy endings, could those two ever be a long term couple. They'd kill each other IRL.

Anyway, I didn't get why IP chose to yell in her first scene at Reg. I think it was supposed to show that she was really attached to these people and didn't really want to leave or something, but it was just a horrible bit of acting. I think IP makes bad/weird acting choices, and it completely turned me off the character-such as later, when Kelly Ann almost teared up over accusing Reg of "lying by omission". Again, just weird acting choices.

I do find, as I thought I would, most of the characters to be cardboard thin in terms of personalities and motivations. Most of them are offensive and/or boring caricatures. Rafe Spall is AMAZ-ING. He can take a sow's ear and turn it into a silk purse in every role he's given.

And I think hearing RS talk about the role, and to hear how he seems to love Reg, is what made me decide to keep watching.

I don't really have much good to say about any of the other characters. Luke Wilson is a good watch, but Bill hasn't impressed me yet.

I thought Reg having the t shirts made was  a nice touch. I don't particularly like Kelly Ann. *shrug*  I like Carla G as an actress, but I find Shelly, again as I find most of the characters, to be rather shallow and ill drawn. Are they trying to send out the message that roadies and those in their company are empty and vain? Cause that's what I'm getting from most of them.

Okay, so. The whole thing about Reg. I'm a huge RS fan, so really they'd have to make the character really horrible, and have RS be totally miscast, for me not to adore him.

And I think he's perfectly cast. I think in fact, that any lesser actor might actually BE cartoony(which I don't think RS is) in this role. Any lesser actor might simply make him the evil British numbers cruncher guy. But I don't agree he's different from show to show, or that he's suddenly "becoming" decent. I think he was decent from the very beginning. In the very first show, when Kelly Ann had her OTT screaming fit, and Reg went outside and inadvertently locked himself out, RS had that moment where he obviously had to compose himself. For me, it was clear then that Reg didn't necessarily "enjoy" firing people, or being the bad guy. I feel like RS has played it from the very beginning as a guy who has no home, nowhere he feels he belongs, and he feels a kinship with these people that he didn't plan. I don't think it's out of the blue or a change in character. I think instead, it's just the show demonstrating something with Reg that the other characters are not blessed with: growth and layers. And I've thought about it: is Reg just getting slightly better writing, because the script writers find him more interesting? Or is it that RS is just pulling everything out of his bag of tricks to make him interesting? Or both?

IDK. I just know that I'm not seeing big back and forths with Reg's personality. I do think, if I remember correctly, that Reg did say one other person might have to be fired, and that was left dangling, and I do think it's going to come back and bite him and maybe someone else in the butt later. I do think Reg can still fire someone if he has to, the question is not can he, does he have it in him-he DOES. The question is, will he? I have the strangest feeling, that if it comes down to it, Reg would resign first, rather than fire someone else. Not because he's a complete softy, but because he may feel after the Janine mess, that the roadies are better off without him.

Edited by IWantCandy71

Since I've watched-I thought Reg bonding with the crew was sweet. I can't help it ya'll. Rafe just does vulnerable so well. I like Reg, I can't help it. I still don't like or care about Kelly Ann, though. I like Bill okay, but he's kind of dull, honestly.

As far as Reg needing to stay a villain-he really can't, if he's going to be a main cast member and have an eventual love interest-and that does seem to be the slant. I said in one of the previous posts-I'm not seeing anything with Reg that shows he's "different" or "changed". I don't think it's flip floppy writing(but I'll address more of that in my comments on episode six). I think again, that the vulnerability and the layers were there, and shown, in the first show. And I think from the first show, they started out NOT painting Reg as some "villain". So he has to fire people-but not once yet have I got the feeling he remotely enjoyed it, except for maybe a little bit with Phil. And I really can't blame him for that. I don't like Phil. At all.

I think Rafe can sell anything, LOL. But I really do think Reg is going to have to bring the hammer down again, just when he's made inroads with the crew. And I do think-if they write it correctly-that Reg will want to belong, and will eventually get to the point where he has cordial relationships with most of them-but I also think that most of them will continue to hold him at arm's length and not trust him.

I think the promos asked the question if Reg was the "villain"-but I don't remember anyone BTS on the show, or Rafe himself, saying that Reg WOULD be so. I guess I'm just happy to see RS doing his thing. And thus far, I think RS and LW have more potential bromance chemistry than LW/CG and RS/IP have "romantic" chemistry. If the show could be Bill and Reg running a record company, with Mike Finger and Punta as side characters, I'd watch the heck outta that. That could be a funny comedy. Ship annoying Kelly Ann off to film school and have Shelly join her husband OTR.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 1

I haven't followed JCM's real life in years. What did he do that was so jerky? Or do I want to know? Maybe not.

I care about Reg being Reg'd, and here's why: Reg does not come from a place of mean spirited selfishness and malice, just for the sake of hurting someone, like Janine seems to be coming from. (although as someone said above, I actually empathized with her during her tirade at Christopher-I get why she'd be upset over it all).

Reg cares if he hurts someone-he is genuinely upset about Janine-not just that she used and lied to him, but that Janine is hurting the crew, and it's because of HIM that she is able to do this. When he apologizes, I believe it.  I don't hate him for being corporate. Not at all. And I don't think he's "cheating" on Raggedy Ann. She friend zoned him several episodes ago-and if he goes off to pursue a relationship with someone else, Kelly Ann only has herself to blame. I do find it interesting that Reg, who it is stated several times, does not like to be touched-is the one who initiates the first physical contact with Janine. We see Reg go out on a limb and let himself be vulnerable and like someone -and we see where it gets him. (On a better written show, he'd close back up, emotionally. We'll see if that happens here). I thought the Reg/Janine stuff was some of the best material the show has given us-and I had never heard of Joy Williams before this. I think it's interesting that someone who wasn't previously a professional actress, can play so well opposite RS. And I think Janine also felt a little bad about using Reg-but since we haven't seen the last of her, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I personally don't need any romance on this show-but I know it'll probably have some. I just wish the show would wait until the characters are more fleshed out.

I think Wes is annoying, and the kid, too. I guess I'm supposed to feel sorry for the kid, but I don't. I still don't really like the rest of the Roadies. And I still think Rafe and Luke have far more potential friendship chemistry than either man has with CG or IP.

• Love 1

Rigorous honesty.  Wow.  There may not be a more loaded term in recovery.  And this show trifles with it, as it does anything genuine.

12 Steppers tend to honor anonymity, right?  So, all Bill had to do was name any industry and say it's not his actual one, but will suffice for the purposes of his story.  Nope.  He doubles down and lies some more.  IRL, the man is already using again.  Yeah.  His sponsor?  Whaaaaat's a sponsor?  This show.  Ugh.  It's absolutely fine if they want to portray Bill as unserious about his recovery.  The very large problem TPTB have is that they insist on portraying him as the moral center of everything in a positive manner.  Addicts simply can't keep playing the middle, as this tour boss does.  

The ultimate slap, for me, was that he got a positive , and very direct response DURING the meeting.  After having admitted he is seeking any excuse he can to sleep with a married woman?  Keep coming back, Bill.  That's all.

Authenticity.  Hmm.  They had a real chance to create one heckuva moment in Finger's room/shrine.  Lord knows they tried.  I bet the art direction team sweat blood over getting it just so.  Videographer?  Hours and hours of lighting and angles.  They did an excellent job.  Supporting what?

The three actors portraying crew preening and posing and mocking the moment at the top of the scene.  It was over-the-top indulgent.  It ruined the depth of the memories/history/life experiences later evoked.  It was a labor of lark, not love.   What a great metaphor for this whole enterprise.  The ingredients for greatness were right there for the taking.  Instead, the easier and softer path was taken.  As always.

Kelly Ann?  How was the witch photog wrong?  You chose, freely, to make other things a priority in your life.  You had a scarce opportunity to learn that craft and you literally walked from it.  She called you out as the pretender you are!  What's your issue?  

I truly wanted this show to find its way.  There are so few chances for something like this.  You bet I am angry.

I'm not angry-just kind of bored. It seems the show has one good episode, then the next is forgettable. Last week, the show at least gave us emotional stakes. Last night was so bland. I cannot believe I sat and listened to a man talk about carpet. If they were going for comedy, they failed. And I don't think an AA meeting is the place for comedy. Some things should be left alone-unless you are striving to be offensive-and I'm starting to think this show is doing just that. At least, possibly next week's show looks to be another good one with emotional stakes.

Here's the problem: we are seven episodes gone in a series with only ten shows, and I still don't care about most of the characters.  I think it might be a Cameron Crowe "style" thing, because I didn't like "Almost Famous", either. I found most of those characters  devoid of a soul. Is CC trying to say the music industry is like this for real, or this is just how he sees it, or is it just that he casts annoying actors who cannot bring their roles to proper life? I love Rafe Spall, he's awesome. He's the best (and really only good part) about this show. He seems to really enjoy the role and I want him to have success and recognition-but this show is just overall awful, and he deserves better. His moment at the bar at the end was the best part of the episode. Still lamenting his trust of Janine, still wanting to fit in with the others but unable or unwilling to take that leap of faith. Probably because his last leap of faith was Janine.

I will say I had a feeling that the show was hinting there was a darker, more ominous reason for Reg's presence-and the previews seem to confirm that. I was just unsure until last night, if Reg was aware of those reasons. He doesn't seem to be. I predict Reg will either quit in protest because he won't do what his bosses want him to do, or he will refuse and they'll fire him. OR-he will purposely screw up so that the crew will demand he be fired-so that he will not have to do what he is expected to do, and the crew will not know the real reason he left. And I will feel for Reg, but I won't feel for any of the crew-and that in a nutshell is this show's biggest problem. I mean, when the one character we probably aren't supposed to like that much, is the most appealing one.......it makes me hope that IF this show gets a second season, they will show a whole new set of roadies, like CC stated they might. Because these peeps(minus Reg) are a big, fat bust.

If I understood it right, it sounds like Kelly Ann and Reg are going on a date? Oh, Reg. You could do so much better than that. Maybe Mike Finger has a sister.

I wasn't a huge fan of the photographer subplot. Has Rosanna Arquette forgotten how to act or was the writing just that bad? Also, everything involving Bill/Shelli is a write off.

Most of the cast is giving it their all, and IMO with some mild tweaks the show could be significantly better. The scenes with Mike Finger do get at some interesting ideas about the relationship between fandom and I did like the scene where Wes/Kelly Ann were supposedly talking about Winston but really talking about Kelly Ann.

Going the opposite way on this, because I thought it was just another charmer. The AA stuff may have been atypical for a meeting, but it wasn't far off because the undercurrent of the conversation was Bill trying to stay sober out in the tall grasses. The stuff with Mike Finger was very cool -- I think it hurts that we don't have a real concept of how big/significant SHB is. Right now I'm thinking their at a Springsteen level, and if you put them at that echelon, all of the intensity of the show makes a bit more sense -- because it shows CC's romanticized version of intense fandom. It's the way he feels about music, and he's trying to write a world where he's not alone in that.  It's at the little moments -- Wes and Halsey playing together, Bill looking over his past at Fingers, even Shelli's small little talk with Chris -- where the who really shines. 

I don't like Phil, though. Not a happy turn he was brought back. 

I think the characters could use some work, but there aren't many other shows where they're as developed after seven eps. I hope it sticks around a bit so we can find out more about them. 

• Love 1

I had mixed feelings about Kelly Ann and Abby's interaction. On the one hand, I have watched enough American Idol auditions to agree with Abby's assessment of Kelly Ann - her mom probably told her that she was awesome and that was enough for Kelly Ann to think she is awesome. In this day and age, any idiot can get a decent digital camera with autofocus and take pictures (in fact, I have several friends whose relatives bought expensive DSLR cameras and then set up FB pages for their photography "businesses" when they have no idea how to actually use their cameras). On the other hand, Kelly Ann didn't present herself as a professional photographer or anything. She was just taking snapshots, which is the same thing people do with their phones these days. She didn't ask for feedback on her pictures so there was no need for Abby to be a total dick.

I keep watching this show because it has the potential to be so good. Life on the road is something the rest of us don't get to see, and the crew members work their asses off doing magic behind the scenes to make sure the shows come together. That alone should be enough to make this show really interesting. But I feel like we haven't gotten very deep into any of the characters so we're just getting sketches of these people. I feel like we got to know Mike Finger better in this one episode than we have gotten to know some of the people who are regulars on the show, but even that was a huge missed opportunity. As mentioned above, this was a great chance to show more than just the superficial side of fandom but they just turned him into a klepto so that Phil, Bill, and Reg could marvel over his collection and reminisce.

But I agree that while the show isn't living up to its potential, it does manage to have good moments.

Hee, on a shallow note, I loved that Shelli, Wes, and Donna were singing Belinda Carlisle at karaoke.

It was a little meta having a guest actress who had a song named after her while one of the plot threads is about a girl with a song named after her.

Fun fact: Cynthia Rhodes and Patrick Swayze (who went on to star in Dirty Dancing together) are both in the Rosanna video!

• Love 1

I think the Mike Fingers of the world are the exception, not the rule. Maybe there are some basement dwelling nerds who live their lives on a computer and for a band/person/movie/television show, but I haven't met any.

They should have treated the Mike character better. So many of CC's views seem really dated. Like rotary phones and mullets. But, that's my opinion.

Well, Phil, unlike LS, SHB fired your butt, or let your butt be fired.  What did Ronny tell you 'bout a trust broken?

Sincere question - why isn't Phil the true road manager instead of Luke Wilson?  I'm very confused.  Wouldn't he have been  brought in at a high level of support, given his own semi-legendary status?  If his connection with SHB was all that, and it was unless Phil is a liar...Ugh  

I watched wearing my LS shirt.  Loved all the vignettes we saw in Phil's story.  Full credit to all concerned with those moments.  That was a hoot.  I'm gonna see whatever iteration of .38 Special is now touring in a couple of weeks.  This ep has fired me up even more for that.

I am having a super difficult time buying this concerned Reg when he was clearly brought in as a hatchet man.  It's what he was.  It's who he was.  He is of no use to the Gepetto pulling the strings, otherwise.

• Love 2