Type keyword(s) to search

Person of Interest In The Media: The Machine Reads It All Before We Do

To me, Root's death and "ascension" to godhood seems very much earned. Despite tumblr's obsession with shipping, the Root/Shaw ship wasn't the central focus of either character. Plus, as others have mentioned, the writers have had to wrap storylines up post-haste this season. I very much hated Carter's death. If Root, another major female character, is the only other casualty of Team Machine, then I will be pissed. I don't want any of them to die, but at this point, Root can't be the only casualty of the war against Samaritan. Elias died too, but I don't consider him as part of the Core "Team". So, I'm willing to wait and see how it all plays out. Plus it will be interesting to see Finch interact with this new Avatar of the Machine.

• Love 3

Root is dead, and isn't - she lives in the machine, and as the machine.

But remember that chilling first sequence in the first episode this season? "The sound of my voice is the only thing left"?

(edited)
4 hours ago, MYOS said:

Root is dead, and isn't - she lives in the machine, and as the machine.

But remember that chilling first sequence in the first episode this season? "The sound of my voice is the only thing left"?

... as the machine she's nearly omnipotent...

Is Killing Lesbians and Turning Them Into Artificial Intelligences the Hot New TV Trend?

[Root & Shaw] confessed their affection for one another in the way only soldiers of a dystopic cyberpunk war can—by threatening to shoot themselves.

Edited by fastiller
to add the Shaw & Root quote.

Amy Acker at Fan Expo Dallas 2016, talking with fans about Person of Interest, Angel and Dollhouse.  Needless to say, spoilers for episode 5x10 of PoI.  She also mentions some vague hints on the remaining 3 episodes, but nothing specific or that hasn't already been said in interviews elsewhere.

Michael Emerson explains how he came across the PoI script, describes what season 5 is (no spoilers, everything us fans know about getting the machine up and facing Samaritan) and working with Carrie Preston: http://magazine.foxnews.com/celebrity/michael-emerson-person-of-interest-carrie-preston-feel-teenagers

My favorite quote from the article (which is more adorable when you watch him say it in the video part::

"I have to kind of erase her wife-ness, and replace it with character-ness."

• Love 1
(edited)

I was talking to a family member the other day who is a regular Rush Limbaugh listener (c'mon, we've all got one in the family, right?).  She told me that, on his show last week, Rush talked about Person of Interest being his favorite TV show and how he was so disappointed that it's ending.  She said that, in all the years she's been listening to Limbaugh, the only other time she remembered him saying a TV show was his favorite was in the early seasons of  "24".  Too bad that a lot of his 10-15 million weekly ditto heads may only be hearing about POI now that it's cancelled.  Stupid CBS!

Edited by SnarkyTart
edited for correct network - damn you, CBS!
1 hour ago, SnarkyTart said:

I was talking to a family member the other day who is a regular Rush Limbaugh listener (c'mon, we've all got one in the family, right?).  She told me that, on his show last week, Rush talked about Person of Interest being his favorite TV show and how he was so disappointed that it's ending.  She said that, in all the years she's been listening to Limbaugh, the only other time she remembered him saying a TV show was his favorite was in the early seasons of  "24".  Too bad that a lot of his 10-15 million weekly ditto heads may only be hearing about POI now that it's cancelled.  Stupid ABC!

I think you mean, CBS? Because this show doesn't air on ABC.

• Love 1
On 6/9/2016 at 1:22 AM, Agent Dark said:

Aside from the fact that we didn't see Jim in this (BOO!) apparently he and Taraji used to rock out to early New Edition.  Can the Machine find a way to dig that up?!  I suspect his version of Mr Telephone Man would be outstanding. 

• Love 2

I know that CBS has published a video of Jonah Nolan's comments on the finale and some further answers but CBS decidely sucking until the end, I can't watch it because I'm in France. Has anyone seen it converted on YouTube or anywhere else I could watch it?

From io9: How Person of Interest Became Essential Science Fiction Television

Some grammatical issues, but the point still stands

This past Tuesday night saw the season finale of Person of Interest, a show that premiered in 2011 as basically just a high-concept vigilante show. By the time it ended, it had transformed the one of the best science fiction series ever broadcast. And it did it without ever losing its primetime, network-friendly premise.

'Cept not CBS-network friendly enough, methinks.

• Love 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/07/10/how-artificial-intelligence-could-help-warn-us-of-another-dallas/

As the country reels from the spasm of gun violence that killed two black men and five police officers this week, a prominent digital vigilante is using an online tool he hacked together to keep an eye on hot spots that seem at risk of boiling over into bloodshed.

The Web app, which is powered partly by artificial intelligence, analyzes  posts on social media as well as police radio chatter and feeds of the local airspace in virtually any region. Its goal? To detect rumblings of unrest and alert the public. At the moment, the tool has its gaze trained on Baton Rouge, where protesters backed by the New Black Panther Party have gathered for a rally.

"I'm looking for any indication they are coordinating skirmishes. … I guess I'm expecting trouble in that location, so have it trained on Baton Rouge preemptively," said the creator of the site — who goes solely by his Internet pseudonym, the Jester — in an interview with The Washington Post.

Yesterday morning I got an emergency alert on my phone as the police were looking for the guy they finally apprehended in connection to the bombings in NJ & NYC over the weekend.    It really reminded me of Samaritan enlisting the help of the riders on the subway in  S05E01 (I think it was this episode, BSOD, where Root ends up stealing all the Playstations. 

Anyway, more of life imitating art?  Cellphone Alerts Used in New York to Search for Bombing Suspect

On 9/20/2016 at 1:10 PM, fastiller said:

Yesterday morning I got an emergency alert on my phone as the police were looking for the guy they finally apprehended in connection to the bombings in NJ & NYC over the weekend.    It really reminded me of Samaritan enlisting the help of the riders on the subway in  S05E01 (I think it was this episode, BSOD, where Root ends up stealing all the Playstations. 

Anyway, more of life imitating art?  Cellphone Alerts Used in New York to Search for Bombing Suspect

I haven't checked this board in a while, but I got that text too and thought of Samaritan. It was pretty weird.

• Love 1

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/person-of-interest-was-anti-prestige-tv-and-too-smart-f-1787984705

And, because Kevin Chapman is the greatest man alive, he pranked Sarah Shahi on set. In one scene, Shahi’s Shaw was meant to be wheeled down a hill in a body bag on a gurney, but before being loaded into the ambulance, they’d switch her body out for a dummy. (It helps if you read the following after watching the show in order to fully appreciate Kevin Chapman’s “Fusco voice.” I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t similar to just talking to him.)

“So what I did was, when we did the shot with her, we did a couple of takes, and then we did a shot when she’s inside the body bag and they stopped to fix the camera or something, I grabbed the gurney, and I began to pull it down the hill as if it was rolling. I kept saying, ‘Hey, hey, somebody should really grab that gurney! Hey, that thing’s rolling, you should grab that!’ ... She was frantic. She was, ‘Ahh! Get me out of…’ and she’s screaming, and I kept going, and she could hear the traffic getting closer and closer and closer. Then, when we got to the bottom of the hill, I unzipped the bag, and she’d come up and her hair was disheveled, and she was out of breath, and ... I looked her and I said ‘Welcome to Person of Interest,’ and I just walked away.”

9 hours ago, Syme said:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/person-of-interest-was-anti-prestige-tv-and-too-smart-f-1787984705

And, because Kevin Chapman is the greatest man alive, he pranked Sarah Shahi on set. In one scene, Shahi’s Shaw was meant to be wheeled down a hill in a body bag on a gurney, but before being loaded into the ambulance, they’d switch her body out for a dummy. (It helps if you read the following after watching the show in order to fully appreciate Kevin Chapman’s “Fusco voice.” I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t similar to just talking to him.)

“So what I did was, when we did the shot with her, we did a couple of takes, and then we did a shot when she’s inside the body bag and they stopped to fix the camera or something, I grabbed the gurney, and I began to pull it down the hill as if it was rolling. I kept saying, ‘Hey, hey, somebody should really grab that gurney! Hey, that thing’s rolling, you should grab that!’ ... She was frantic. She was, ‘Ahh! Get me out of…’ and she’s screaming, and I kept going, and she could hear the traffic getting closer and closer and closer. Then, when we got to the bottom of the hill, I unzipped the bag, and she’d come up and her hair was disheveled, and she was out of breath, and ... I looked her and I said ‘Welcome to Person of Interest,’ and I just walked away.”

That only adds to the Chappy love, and it probably set the tone for why they had such onscreen playful chemistry.