Type keyword(s) to search

Person of Interest In The Media: The Machine Reads It All Before We Do

I'm not sure. More than anything else, I wonder if it signals that whatever they say publicly, Plageman and Nolan both realize that Plageman was way overstretched trying to basically run the show alone this year and it showed, and promoting DT is a way of taking some of the burden off Plageman's shoulders.

This is a really interesting account of a fan's conversation with Greg Plageman at some point during the ATX Film Festival. If it's all true, all I have to say is that it definitely reinforces my sense that Netflix is far and away the show's best hope for a S6.

Has anyone else watched "Panopticon" with commentary by Plagerman on CBS.com/All Access?

All access is way too pricey for way too little for me.

I just saw that too!

I'm really happy it won't just be 13 episodes (provided the info is accurate). I can live with 15. Usually there's 3/4 filler episodes anyway, so basically lose those and we've got ourselves an amazing season.

People are speculating about a potential 2-hour series finale, and while I'll be sad to lose the show, I've always wanted a true 2-hour PoI episode and we've never gotten it. It would be fitting we got it for the finale.

• Love 2
(edited)

SpoilerTV has corrected the S5 episode order to 13 episodes ("We've just heard from Bad Robot that unfortunately Person of Interest will now only have 13 Episodes." -- SpoilerTV).

Edited by DEM

There's nothing wrong with 13 episodes though.  Battlestar Galactica S1 was only 13 episodes and it's probably the best season of television I've ever watched.  If only the later seasons had the fat trimmed out of them too.  Orphan Black S1 is another 13 episode run that ranks up there too.

• Love 1
(edited)

There's nothing wrong with 13 episodes though.  Battlestar Galactica S1 was only 13 episodes and it's probably the best season of television I've ever watched.  If only the later seasons had the fat trimmed out of them too.  Orphan Black S1 is another 13 episode run that ranks up there too.

I don't disagree, and if the 13-episode order had been announced at the time of the renewal I would have been thrilled.

But we got:

1) renewal without any qualifiers = 22 episodes

2) shortened episode order = tbd, anywhere between 13 and 16 episodes

3) rumours of a specific episode order = 15 episodes

4) confirmed episode order = 13 episodes

So this whole thing has stung quite a bit, at least for me.

But I do agree that 13 episodes should be enough for an awesome arc. I kind of see it like a half-season. Like, Season 3 was split into 2 very separate/distinct halfs, and each one was truly spectacular. There's no reason why S5 can't be as amazing.

Edited by Princess Lucky
But I do agree that 13 episodes should be enough for an awesome arc. I kind of see it like a half-season. Like, Season 3 was split into 2 very separate/distinct halfs, and each one was truly spectacular. There's no reason why S5 can't be as amazing.

If written correctly, ITA. If you count it out, both S3 and S4 had roughly 11-15 AI arc episodes (the precise numbers vary based on whether you count, for example, 4x07 as an AI arc episode or not), but both seasons are right in the 13-episode ballpark. So yeah, 13 is the perfect length for a totally trimmed-fat season--but that's if the season is written correctly. 4B was shaky enough that I'm concerned in that arena.

I also think that the writers having to function on the assumption that this is the last season puts an extra stress on having just 13 episodes (I take the point about BSG, but to my mind 13 episodes for a first season is very different from 13 for a last season when the writers are accustomed to 22). If you take out the premiere, because season premieres are always a bit of a lost episode--especially on PoI--and the finale, which will have to be crafted to provide a satisfying potential end of the show on top of the Samaritan arc, that's just 11 episodes. I'm a little nervous about the writers' ability to cram it all into 11...would love to be proven wrong though!

It would have been a little different if the writers knew last year that they had the penultimate season.  There's little way all their fabulous ideas can fit into 13 episodes.  They'll just have to pick what they most want to do with the limited time left.  I really hope they use the time well.  With almost every show I think back to, where they got a final season, potential has been squandered.

(edited)

But I do agree that 13 episodes should be enough for an awesome arc.

Yes, could be!  When we first got the announcement of 13 episodes, I quickly sketched out a shortened S4 simply to show myself that it could be done (and because I felt S4 had a lot of 'nothing'* episodes).  I got it down to 13 fairly easily, though Blunt had to be sacrificed.  It helped that Skip made Pretenders completely irrelevant, and then the following episodes made Skip completely irrelevant.

I also agree with Camera One that it would have been optimal to know in advance that S5 would be the last.

*'nothing' =/= standalone

Edited by DEM
(edited)
I got it down to 13 fairly easily, though Blunt had to be sacrificed.

Was that really any great sacrifice, though? :)

In some respects I'm actually glad that the writers didn't know when writing it that S4 would be the penultimate season (at least on CBS), because I wonder if they would have straight-up just killed off Shaw in 4x11 had they known.

Edited by stealinghome
(edited)

Yes, it's fairly possible. Funnily, as it stands now, Shaw is the most likely character to make it out alive (and Finch, I guess - he'll probably get his happy ending with his ex-fiancee - but if Reese gets a Happily Ever After with Iris I will throw rocks at the screen).

I think 13 episodes is the perfect length, provided the writers are clever enough to avoid filler, and I believe they are.

Edited by FurryFury
(edited)
Funnily, as it stands now, Shaw is the most likely character to make it out alive (and Finch, I guess - he'll probably get his happy ending with his ex-fiancee - but if Reese gets a Happily Ever After with Iris I will throw rocks at the screen).

I'm terrified Reese/Iris is going to be endgame simply because she's here now, filling that void, and it would be the easiest (laziest?) option for the writers. I don't even LIKE Reese that much but goodness, he deserves so much better than a bland non-character with whom he has no chemistry.

I do agree that Shaw and Finch are currently the characters most likely to survive the show. If the showrunners think there's a good shot that Netflix will pick the show up for S6, the only character I see as in danger this season is Fusco; if the writers think this is it, however, I suspect both Reese and Root are marked (wo)men.

S4 gag reel is here!

Edited by stealinghome
(edited)

Michael Emerson is scheduled to do a reddit Ask Me Anything on Thursday July 2nd at 4 PM Eastern time.

Edit: Oh well, it appears his AMA was cancelled due to reddit drama. Hopefully it will be re-scheduled in the future

Edited by Rambler
  • Love 1

Even IF Shaw is evilly brainwashed!

ETA: Slightly more info from Plageman:

Executive producer Greg Plageman told TVGuide.com that Shaw's return will be much more permanent than the type of quick check-ins the show did following the character's departure last season. "You will see her very early in the season, and once you see her, she will always be on the show for the remainder of the show," he said.

Guessing that this means we won't see Shaw until episode 5 or so (maybe as the last shot of episode 4), but then as normal.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

Guessing that this means we won't see Shaw until episode 5 or so (maybe as the last shot of episode 4), but then as normal.

Well, they do need to develop a plot-line which puts her back in the picture.  

Speaking of, more info on what Shaw will be up to from GMMR and AfterEllen. The most interesting bit imo:

“Sarah Shahi should be back by episode 5,” PERSON OF INTEREST co-showrunner Greg Plageman shared. “She’s a trooper man, she’s doing a lot. But she’s ready to go, she says I want to be back, and we’re very excited to have her.”....“We could actually see her even earlier,” Plageman shared. “In the production [she’s filming episode 5]. We have a very flexible air date schedule, so we may monkey with that.”

Sounds like her return is currently slotted for episode 5, but they're going to try to get her in earlier than that. I bet Shahi will film some short scenes a la 4x13 that they can slot into eps 1-4 if at all possible; I also suspect some of the uncertainty is contingency-related in case they get extra episodes ordered on them unexpectedly.

“I think that Root is longing for that and the question for Shaw is, how damaged will she be when she comes back?” Greg said. “How much will she even remember Root and where they were? She’s been through a  lot. When Shaw returns to the show, it’s a fight for her just to come out and stay alive. What we have to do is, we have to be honest with the audience but we have to take heed of where the story is in terms of the stakes. Right now, Shaw’s character is captured by Samaritan, and they’re doing some fucked up shit to her head.”

Sounds like we're getting at least a partially brainwashed Shaw! Or at least a they-attempted-to-brainwash-her Shaw. I wouldn't be surprised if Samaritan tries to use her as a Martine replacement. It just makes so much sense.

Also, Shahi's desire for Shaw to go full-on Terminator and for Root and Shaw to have little cyborg babies never fails to crack me up.

ETA: In this interview, GP says Shaw might be back as early as episode 3.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

Some kind soul uploaded the panel. I just about died laughing at "What took you so long, bitch???" Hee!

That really was a great speech from Shahi.

Plageman shading the shows that are trying to rip off PoI is awesome.

Re: the clip, AA and ME are cracking me UP.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

I thought everyone looked really good, like *really* good.  I loved that they had a full house, and Kevin Chapman for calling that out since 1) we couldn't see it, and 2) to acknowledge and thank the fans.  I also loved that he was surprised since they were going into Season 5.  Lastly, I am very jealous of the lady that got hugged and picked up by Jim Cavezial, plus a selfie with him and Michael Emerson, disappointed that we didn't hear the answers to her questions though since they skipped over that since the hug took over the panel.

• Love 1

Some kind soul uploaded the panel. I just about died laughing at "What took you so long, bitch???" Hee!

That really was a great speech from Shahi.

Plageman shading the shows that are trying to rip off PoI is awesome.

Re: the clip, AA and ME are cracking me UP.

ME flipping Root's hair!

ME confirmed it's the last season on CBS (no surprise there, but nice to see it confirmed) and JC's speech sounded like a goodbye too. Everything they said sounded great tbh, especially Shaw getting a standalone episode and Fusco finally getting his "wtf is going on" story arc. 

^ She sure does. Amy sounds totally different from Root too though (and often in a "wait, srsly?" way in that her voice as Root is less affected and nasal and imo more of a "normal speaking voice").

The working titles for the first nine episodes of s5 were revealed by the script supervisor: http://isagrimorie.tumblr.com/post/131085074906/titles-for-the-first-nine-episodes - the link is to a tumblr post with some interesting comments.

• Love 1

I would think we'll find out in the next 2 weeks, 3 max. Once CBS (presumably) picks up Supergirl for a full season, their spring roster will be pretty set, and I'm sure they already know what they want to do with their midseason shows. No point in holding out at that point.

fwiw, The Mentalist's season premiere date was announced 11/4 last year.

Anyone want to start a pool on the timeslot? I'm guessing PoI either gets the The Mentalist treatment and is moved around to plug holes, or, if CBS just can't abide CSI: Cyber absolutely sucking, PoI will be banished to the Sunday 10pm slot. I think I'd rather the first option over the second.

• Love 1

Anyone want to start a pool on the timeslot? I'm guessing PoI either gets the The Mentalist treatment and is moved around to plug holes, or, if CBS just can't abide CSI: Cyber absolutely sucking, PoI will be banished to the Sunday 10pm slot. I think I'd rather the first option over the second.

I hope they announce it soon.  I don't really care when it's going to be on.  I just want it to BE on.  I can always DVR it if necessary.  But I would probably watch it in any time slot.

ETA:  Oh wait, maybe I do care.  Now I remember what a nightmare it was trying to DVR The Mentalist and the start times were never what they were supposed to be.  

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 1

I would think we'll find out in the next 2 weeks, 3 max. Once CBS (presumably) picks up Supergirl for a full season, their spring roster will be pretty set, and I'm sure they already know what they want to do with their midseason shows. No point in holding out at that point.

fwiw, The Mentalist's season premiere date was announced 11/4 last year.

100% agree. I think CBS is waiting on Supergirl's early numbers. The 0.9 freefall this week was not good and it might take a couple of more weeks before CBS makes a decision on Supergirl thereby affecting PoI's midseason schedule announcement. Thursdays are of no consequence for PoI because they are either comedies or a CBS drama that CBS will leave in that timeslot even at well below average demos.

I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that PoI will be given the Mentalist treatment. Here's why. The only open slots on CBS during winter are Wednesdays at 8 and 10 (should Code Black end at 13 eps, it will finish 3rd week of December) and Fridays at 8. CBS will not be cutting Cyber's order short if they have a bundled CSI syndication package lined up so Sundays most likely won't be happening for PoI. Besides, Futon has all 3 shows (MS/TGW/CSI Cyber) airing mid December and then beginning of January so if PoI were to air on Sundays, it would only be for a short while. The problem that PoI has right now is that CBS will be airing a Frank Sinatra special on Sunday December 6 meaning that PoI won't have 9 or 10 PM timeslots free for consecutive weeks on Sundays. Similarly, CBS is airing People's Choice on Wednesday January 6, 2016 which means one less week available for PoI to air. More than that, Code Black will either need to double up one week or air one episode on an off night to finish its run by the 3rd week of December. This is only if PoI were to air in the winter. Mondays might be an option if Supergirl were to get a full season because by the end of sweeps, Supergirl will be 5 episodes behind Scorpion/NCIS: LA therefore PoI could air in December behind it so that it can play catch up to the 2 shows (assuming it only gets the standard 22 ep. order and not the big 24 ep. order). Right now, I cannot see how PoI will air episodes regularly week to week when CBS's schedule is this messed up. PoI will definitely see a break somewhere if PoI begins airing in December. I hate CBS so much right now.

We might see a schedule like

Mon. 11/30 - 2 hour season premiere at 9 PM (Novembers sweeps are finished by this time)

Mon. 12/7 - episode at 10 PM (preempts NCIS: LA repeat)

Wed. 12/23 - episode at 10 PM (regular time slot)

Wed. 12/30 - episode at 10 PM

<Wed. 1/6 - People's Choice Awards (no episode - did you vote yet?)>

Wed. 1/13 - episode

Wed. 1/20 - episode

Tues. 1/19 or 1/26 - special 1 hour episode at 10 PM (whichever day is not State of the Union address)

Wed. 1/27 - episode

Wed. 2/3 - episode

Wed. 2/10 - episode

Wed. 2/17 - 2 hour season finale

Why no Mon. 12/14 episode you ask? CBS will air new episodes of their regular Monday line up that day so PoI takes a break. On 2nd thought, maybe CBS's Friday dramas airs first week of December and they are preempted for 4 weeks. That would mean PoI airs on Christmas and NYD. CBS wishes you a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Not.

Alternative schedule

Friday 12/11 - 2 hour season premiere

Fri. 12/18 - new episode at 10 pm

Fri. Christmas - episode

Fri. New Year's Day - episode

Wed. Jan. 13 - episode at 10 pm (regular timeslot)

Tue. Jan. 19 or 26 - whichever day is not State of the Union address, special episode at 10 pm

Wed. Jan. 20 - episode

Wed. 1/27 - episode

Wed. 2/3 - episode

Wed. 2/10 - episode

Wed. 2/17 - 2 hour season finale

If PoI were to air in the spring eg. March, then it might be a lot easier to double up on episodes here or air an episode on a special night there but ratings will be much lower as we saw the last 2 seasons at 10 PM. I'd still take PoI in the winter over spring just for ratings sake. At this point, I would not put it past CBS to spite WB and the PoI producers by saying "Hahaha, fuck you guys, we're gonna air it in March. Good luck with Netflix bitches. Bwahaha."

• Love 1

Have there been any spoilers floating around?  I'm so far behind in my current shows, I haven't had a chance to even think about my impending PoI heartbreak.  :-( 

I would say that the cast and crew have actually done an excellent job of locking down spoilers. afaik, the only solid pieces of information we have are from NYCC and SDCC. As always, fans have taken lots of pictures when the show shoots outside, which has given some information (mostly, I would say, around Shaw's storyline), but by and large it's actually impressive how much the show has managed to keep on the dl.

• Love 2

As always, fans have taken lots of pictures when the show shoots outside, which has given some information (mostly, I would say, around Shaw's storyline)

I shouldn't look, I shouldn't look. Ah damn, some links please? I still probably won't look, but I just want to know it's an option.

• Love 1

It doesn't mean anything. Even if a network is likely to cancel a show, if they haven't officially done so, they'll call it a season finale. For instance, Minority Report: pretty much a foregone conclusion that it won't live to see a season 2 but FOX is still calling next week's episode a season finale.

• Love 1

Spoilery article that contains this non-spoiler tidbit of hope.  Yes, it's small hope, I always assumed there was a "possibility" for it, but hadn't read that in print before.

Comic Book Resources reports the possibility that "Person of Interest" Season 5 may not be the last one to air on television. According to the outlet, other major networks are interested in ordering the 6th installment of "POI". However, Michael Emerson is not certain which network will have the rights to the series because the production is very expensive.

Fans could see Person of Interest coming to an end after season 5 on its CBS, however, given the massive following of the tv show, there is the possibility that it will be picked up by other major networks which have already shown such interest ordering for the sixth season.

If they air the show in the summer I will genuinely flip out. I had been waiting for the midseason schedule, and I wasn't even delusional, I was hoping for something like April (something which would mean the bulk of the show would air outside sweeps). But nothing? No info at all? 

Sigh.

Back into hibernation I go. Wake me up when the show actually airs.

Maybe later is better. The early part of the year means college Bowl games, NCAA games and March Madness. Being that CBS airs a majority of games especially on Sundays, it could upset the flow of POI.

I would welcome it in April.