Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E14: Monday

I'm pretty sure TGW has had people drinking in the office in the past. Maybe Will and Diane? I don't think it's just a cliche either. It used to be commonplace in some workplaces and probably is still around in certain settings.

I don't mind the wigs. People in real life get bad haircuts or unattractive (to me) hair styles all the time. Then again, maybe the wigs don't bother me because I don't hate the show, Alicia Florrick, or Julianna Margilies.

• Love 3

This wig bugs me. I think its a combo of the colour and the part that makes it look very flat and dull. There isn't much shine or volume going on and I cannot believe that Alicia, who cares so much about maintaining appearances and with the resources she has, has such an uninspired hairstyle. The other wigs over the years have bothered me far less, but this one just doesn't work. Its not a dealbreaker in terms of watching the show (other things would be if we weren't in the final countdown) but I do notice it now in a way I never did before and since she's always been wearing a wig, the issue must just this specific one. (I loved her season 3 one, for example. That was a nice wig.)

I enjoyed Marissa and Eli, Eli and Ruth and Eli and the FBI guy. I hated Diane and Cary's casual racism. The case was actually interesting enough but Alicia's chair issues and the "romance" with the investigator are just time fillers.

I am looking forward to whatever the FBI is investigating coming out. There's a few things it could be or it could be all of them, but it'll be nice to finally have some of the shady business catch up with Peter and Alicia. She made the choice to stay with him long ago because she thought it was better for herself, her family and her career, but maybe a corrupt asshole is always going to be an anchor.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 1

This. 

This wig bugs me. I think its a combo of the colour and the part that makes it look very flat and dull. There isn't much shine or volume going on and I cannot believe that Alicia, who cares so much about maintaining appearances and with the resources she has, has such an uninspired hairstyle. The other wigs over the years have bothered me far less, but this one just doesn't work. Its not a dealbreaker in terms of watching the show (other things would be if we weren't in the final countdown) but I do notice it now in a way I never did before and since she's always been wearing a wig, the issue must just this specific one. (I loved her season 3 one, for example. That was a nice wig.)

Luca/Luka are males names, the equivalent of Luke or Lucas (except apparently in Hungary and Croatia, where it is pronounced LOO-tsah as the equivalent of Lucy.   Lucca is a city in Italy and is pronounced differently -- Italians pronounce both consonants when there is a doubling.  Using Lucca as the name of female American character strikes me as a pretentious writing decision.  YMMV.

The wig doesn't bother me as far as that goes.  I'm always amazed that people notice them, on this show and others.  What I do notice is how drab Alicia has been looking lately, which includes how dull and lifeless her hair is, regardless of whether it's a wig or her real hair.  JM is a gorgeous woman, so I have to wonder if this "dulling" of Alicia's looks is a deliberate choice, like when MC lost weight and got all pasty-looking during the drug trial story.

I've been watching some early episodes, where JM is presumably also wearing a wig, and I think she looks fantastic.  Of course, some of that is because they actually let Alicia smile occasionally back then - seriously, the difference is shocking.  They're going with this emotionless mask thing lately, and I really hope they let Alicia (and JM!) break out of that before the end of the show.  There's "acting behind the eyes", which JM excels at in the early seasons, and then there's "blank", which I feel like is what we're seeing now.

ETA: Lucca is an unusual name, but in this day and age, I don't think it's unusual enough to garner surprise and awkward questions from virtual strangers.  It's not like she's named "Marrakesh" or something.

• Love 3

Why has no one EVER asked Alicia why she stays married to Peter. The next time Luca and Alicia go to the bar for drinks, she has to ask that question.

I loved the scene with Diane and Alicia in Diane's office.  Not just because I love Christine Baranski, but because it was like 2 animals circling each other, waiting to go in for the kill.

That definitely seemed to be the story they were telling. Which could absolutely work, in general, as a story about some people, somewhere. And the people in that hypothetical story could certainly be educated, self-styled liberal/progressive people.  But it really does not work for Diane Lockhart, at least not based on what I've seen of that character for the run of this show.  Anyone else remember back when she decided to join Alicia in her startup, so it could be the only firm in Chicago totally run by women and minorities?  Back then Diane had a whole bunch of culturally diverse partners in her firm, and they were people willing to walk from the old place to be with her in the new one. Presumably not because she kept introducing them to each other and telling them how much she just knew they were going to like each other. Maybe I just imagined that version of Diane, since it's pretty clear the writers do not...

I agree that the storyline really doesn't work with Diane.  The show should have just had Howard Lyman or David Lee make the comment (and just once, not a million times) that Monica and Lucca should work together.  I actually thought the storyline earlier this season had interesting possibilities.  Like does tend to hire like, so Cary and the other partners favoring the white male associates with strong resumes made sense, and they made some good points about what those candidates brought to the table (I think their knowledge of the tech sector?).  Of course there is the other very valid side of the debate about minorities and other underrepresented groups. This show just didn't execute the storyline well.  

I'm not totally buying the Diane/Alicia animus, it felt like a precedent sandwiched in so that Alicia could be the powerless one, which I don't find believable at this point for numerous reasons. They've had their ups and downs but this was Alicia-grimacing-at-Kalinda-with-a-patronizing-death-stare nonsense that she always reserves for someone 'below' her, and she and Diane are peers, even if things are tense on the first day.

I think the point is Alicia and Diane are not in fact peers right now.  Alicia is not completely powerless but she is in an inferior position relative to Diane.  

Also since Alicia and Kalinda didn't share scenes in ages, did "Alicia grimacing at Kalinda" scenes ever exist?  Maybe conflating fiction with the JM/AP speculation?

The firm seems to have grown quite a bit less attractive; did anyone else pick up on a much less polished, well-lit and upscale feel? The office was dark, art-less (mostly), and suddenly looks like a call center --  I guess they're really driving home the 'back to working for the man' schtick.

Most scenes took place on the 27th (?) floor where the associates work and it is supposed to be more cramped and hectic.   

I don't get the griping about Alicia going back to the firm.  We've all been bitching for eons about the bifurcation and how Diane was being wasted on plot dregs.  Hey, we're getting the band back together again!  I think the best storyline they've come up with for ages is reuniting Alicia and Diane, but negotiating a different power dynamic.  I loved the scene where Diane dismisses Alicia and Alicia balks at being dismissed.  Ha.  As if Alicia would ever have a snowball's chance of destabilizing Diane when she's in full name-partner power mode.   Cary's never struck me as anything but vanilla, so he can scamper back and forth between the two power women, I don't care.

I loved the Alicia/Diane scene as well.  

I think the show is in a tough spot with the firm musical chair complaints.  The problem is creatively speaking, if the show is really meant to tell Alicia Florrick's story, then some of the other characters should have been written out of the show or have their screentime significantly decreased.  When Alicia was no longer with the firm, there really wasn't a need for the Cary and Diane characters and as much focus on the Lockhart Gardner/Agos/Lee/whatever firm.  However, The Good Wife being a network show and all, it needs to keep some of these characters around because they're popular with viewers and for continuity purposes.  The show also has to maintain the procedural element in order to fill up the long seasons and because that's what some viewers like.   As a result, we get way too many episodes when it's the same two firms facing each other, and the same characters leaving and returning to the same firms.  And when they went the political route with Alicia last season, we had Alicia being in her own world and the other characters in a separate world in order to give everyone some screentime, but obviously there were a ton of complaints about that and the speculation that JM doesn't get along with all her fellow cast members.  

This.

Luca/Luka are males names, the equivalent of Luke or Lucas (except apparently in Hungary and Croatia, where it is pronounced LOO-tsah as the equivalent of Lucy. Lucca is a city in Italy and is pronounced differently -- Italians pronounce both consonants when there is a doubling. Using Lucca as the name of female American character strikes me as a pretentious writing decision. YMMV.

You might think it's pretentious but it's actually pretty common. There are plenty of American girls named Sasha or Misha, even those are boys' names in Russia. There's even a famous song from the 70s about a girl named Luca.

Why has no one EVER asked Alicia why she stays married to Peter. The next time Luca and Alicia go to the bar for drinks, she has to ask that question

Someone did. That political consultant played by Kristen Chenoweth asked Alicia that. Alicia said it was because she took her marriage seriously. Kristen asked if that wasn't playing out antiquated gender roles, and Alicia said it was her life and had nothing to do with gender roles.

Add me to people who don't care about Alicia's wig. It's TV. If I can accept that a beautiful, vain woman gains thirty pounds in her belly, starts carrying giant purses all the time and holding them in front of her stomach and no one on her life says anything, then takes a vacation for two months, I can accept a wig.

Edited by Tetraneutron

This.

Luca/Luka are males names, the equivalent of Luke or Lucas (except apparently in Hungary and Croatia, where it is pronounced LOO-tsah as the equivalent of Lucy. Lucca is a city in Italy and is pronounced differently -- Italians pronounce both consonants when there is a doubling. Using Lucca as the name of female American character strikes me as a pretentious writing decision. YMMV.

I'm not saying I love Lucca's name but I don't see the big deal about it either. There are lots of names used for girls that used to be boy names (Taylor, Reese, Hayden, Cameron, Dylan, Devin, Drew, Blake, Kelly, Ashley, Dana, Quinn, Morgan). There are cities used as names (Austin, Brooklyn, Paris, Dallas - and Florence Nightingale was named after the Italian city where she was born). One of Jennie Garth and Peter Facinelli's daughters is named Luca so Lucca Quinn is not alone in being a girl named Luc©a!
Lucca is a city in Italy and is pronounced differently -- Italians pronounce both consonants when there is a doubling. Using Lucca as the name of female American character strikes me as a pretentious writing decision.

I know an American couple who have named their kid London, and American/Aussie couple who have named their kid Trafford for Trafford Stadium (?) in Manchester.  Peeps be pretentious, so I don't fault the writers for it.

Hooray for Ruth - finally, finally, FINALLY someone told Alicia to get a divorce.  Finally!

Marissa for the win!  Loved her taking a selfie and recording that conversation with FBI dude.  And then there was Eli bursting with pride - awesome.

Note to the judge:  I bet you have a can of Raid at home somewhere. 

Note to Alicia:  Lucca kept being sent to that huge conference room filled with so many functional chairs.  Take one.

• Love 1

I know a little girl named Burlington. Unlike that name, the name Lucca sounds like a real girl's name, so for a seemingly modern thinking character to question someone about her name's origins in this day and age was pretty weird, I thought. I don't think the use of the name is pretentious, but what was the point of calling attention to it?

Edited by MakeMeLaugh

I'm pretty sure TGW has had people drinking in the office in the past. Maybe Will and Diane? I don't think it's just a cliche either. It used to be commonplace in some workplaces and probably is still around in certain settings.

I don't mind the wigs. People in real life get bad haircuts or unattractive (to me) hair styles all the time. Then again, maybe the wigs don't bother me because I don't hate the show, Alicia Florrick, or Julianna Margilies.

I too remember Diane & Will having a drink after Will was initially cleared of the charges the SA's office brought against him, and at that time (right before he found out about the next charges), I think an Xmas party was happening throughout the firm that evening. I sort of remember Diane & Will drinking together after getting Derrick Bond booted, maybe after Jonas died as well. 

Personally, I just hate a bad wig because it takes me out of the story. There are probably at least 20 wigs that make up the 1 wig we comment on as at least 2 per year would be made at about $10k each, with some extras for changes to styles or special show occasions. Before I knew anything about wigs (I met a guy where I live who used to work in NYC as a wigmaster), I'm not sure what I would have thought, but once you know anything about wigs, bad wigs grab your attention like a random person walking through a scene. And once you're aware of the amount of work and $$$$$ that goes into each one, and how crazy-realistic looking they can be, a series of bad wigs can get under your skin. But, until you've had some experience with them, they mostly go unnoticed unless it's something quasi-tragic like John Travolta's pieces. Personally, I detest the trend of the widow's peak hairline for everyone, as it's the fastest/sloppiest giveaway. The first several year's of Alicia's wigs were quite excellent IMO.

If I can accept that a beautiful, vain woman gains thirty pounds in her belly, starts carrying giant purses all the time and holding them in front of her stomach and no one on her life says anything, then takes a vacation for two months, I can accept a wig.

Which actress are you referring to? Just curious!

I think the point is Alicia and Diane are not in fact peers right now.  Alicia is not completely powerless but she is in an inferior position relative to Diane. 

Also since Alicia and Kalinda didn't share scenes in ages, did "Alicia grimacing at Kalinda" scenes ever exist?  Maybe conflating fiction with the JM/AP speculation?

Alicia is definitely the newbie at the firm again, but she and Diane have shared so many cases and been partners at the prior incarnation and again at the Cary, Alicia, Diane firm that existed for a quick minute as well, so it seemed more they took the normal upheaval of starting a "new" job but tried to portray it as personal animus, which didn't resonate for me. I agree, Tetraneutron, that the real problems are the indecision and retconning about their relationship.

At some point, there were definitely some death grimaces across the desk or the conference table (there were many episodes with Will and Diane asking each other, and Alicia and Kalinda, what was going on/wrong), and I kind of remember similar grimaces after Kalinda found Grace that time and brought her home, though you're right, a lot of it could have been in phone scenes. Alicia gives a lot of death stares though, many at her front door, but they're sprinkled pretty liberally throughout the series.

Although I do wonder how the show is going to introduce and resolve a plot line about Alicia being an alcoholic in the 7 episodes they have left.

Conceivably, the whole season is in the can, right? I've been thinking about this since the big announcement because, in all reality, whatever was filmed for s7 is done and over with unless production starts up again and they reshoot parts or even a new episode or 2. I'm sure there might still be some post work done closer to real time, but filming would have been completed before the decision was ever made.

Edited by meisje

Conceivably, the whole season is in the can, right? I've been thinking about this since the big announcement because, in all reality, whatever was filmed for s7 is done and over with unless production starts up again and they reshoot parts or even a new episode or 2. I'm sure there might still be some post work done closer to real time, but filming would have been completed before the decision was ever made.

As of yesterday, they were still shooting on location.  No idea which actors were involved, though.

Someone did. That political consultant played by Kristen Chenoweth asked Alicia that. Alicia said it was because she took her marriage seriously. Kristen asked if that wasn't playing out antiquated gender roles, and Alicia said it was her life and had nothing to do with gender roles.

Thanks.  Someone should ask again, since I don't think Alicia even thinks much about her "marriage" anymore.  I would love to see a scene where Alicia asks Peter for a divorce.  Or maybe vice versa, although I doubt that that would happen.

I too remember Diane & Will having a drink after Will was initially cleared of the charges the SA's office brought against him, and at that time (right before he found out about the next charges), I think an Xmas party was happening throughout the firm that evening. I sort of remember Diane & Will drinking together after getting Derrick Bond booted, maybe after Jonas died as well.

Personally, I just hate a bad wig because it takes me out of the story. There are probably at least 20 wigs that make up the 1 wig we comment on as at least 2 per year would be made at about $10k each, with some extras for changes to styles or special show occasions. Before I knew anything about wigs (I met a guy where I live who used to work in NYC as a wigmaster), I'm not sure what I would have thought, but once you know anything about wigs, bad wigs grab your attention like a random person walking through a scene. And once you're aware of the amount of work and $$$$$ that goes into each one, and how crazy-realistic looking they can be, a series of bad wigs can get under your skin. But, until you've had some experience with them, they mostly go unnoticed unless it's something quasi-tragic like John Travolta's pieces. Personally, I detest the trend of the widow's peak hairline for everyone, as it's the fastest/sloppiest giveaway. The first several year's of Alicia's wigs were quite excellent IMO.

Which actress are you referring to? Just curious!

Alicia is definitely the newbie at the firm again, but she and Diane have shared so many cases and been partners at the prior incarnation and again at the Cary, Alicia, Diane firm that existed for a quick minute as well, so it seemed more they took the normal upheaval of starting a "new" job but tried to portray it as personal animus, which didn't resonate for me. I agree, Tetraneutron, that the real problems are the indecision and retconning about their relationship.

At some point, there were definitely some death grimaces across the desk or the conference table (there were many episodes with Will and Diane asking each other, and Alicia and Kalinda, what was going on/wrong), and I kind of remember similar grimaces after Kalinda found Grace that time and brought her home, though you're right, a lot of it could have been in phone scenes. Alicia gives a lot of death stares though, many at her front door, but they're sprinkled pretty liberally throughout the series.

They shoot until around April usually, so they're definitely not done yet. They were still shooting episode 17(of 22) a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by photo fox
formatting issues

Veronica said once that Alicia would never end their marriage, and she told Peter that he would have to do it. Alicia then took Peter to her bedroom and had sex. Peter asked if this was because of her Mother and she replied, "Yes."

Maybe Peter will ask her for a divorce in the final episode!

I wasn't talking about any particular actress. Just what happens when the pretty girl of any particular show gets pregnant but they don't write it into the script.

Yes, it's happening right now on Brooklyn 99 with Any, the lead female character, I believe

• Love 1

Thanks photo fox and Sara2009! That's good to hear because it means there's likely a flurry of activity surrounding the final episodes, and thus, there's time to add and subtract.

I wasn't talking about any particular actress. Just what happens when the pretty girl of any particular show gets pregnant but they don't write it into the script.

Yes, it's happening right now on Brooklyn 99 with Any, the lead female character, I believe.

Interesting... I just found myself wondering if she could be pregnant when I watching last night. The show is pretty hijinky already, so I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

• Love 2

You're overthinking it. The show loves to take plots from the headlines, especially about social issues and technology issues. The dearth of minorities at places like this is a headline. So they destroyed the characters of Diane and Cary to fit the plot, and it was really, really, dumb.

So. What do you guys think the FBI is investigating Alicia for? The vote machine rigging for the SA election? The ballot box stuffing for the governor's election? Something else entirely? Whatever it is I bet it makes Peter look so bad the audience has no choice but to support Alicia and Jason.

Also, they have, what, 7 episodes left? How are they going to tie up all the loose threads?

Wasn't there some pretty serious corruption allegations tied to Peter's hooker banging/arrest back in season 1. From what I remember Kalinda just made them go away and they weren't actually resolved. Could be interesting if that was coming back and took down Peter.
What I do notice is how drab Alicia has been looking lately, which includes how dull and lifeless her hair is, regardless of whether it's a wig or her real hair.

Dull and drab are the main adjectives I'd use to describe her hairstyle right now too. It just...hangs there. Like, add a layer or two or something. It probably is a character decision.

I'll forgive it if the finale has Alicia divorcing Peter and we finally get to see Alicia's (well JM's) real hair, the wild curls. Alicia gone wild. That'd actually be a cool visual. Make it happen, Kings!

I know a little girl named Burlington.

Is her last name Coat-Factory?

• Love 5

That's an old TV cliche. The rich businessman having a minibar in his office and offering a drink to a client or colleague, or downing one in the middle of a stressful day. Usually this show is careful to avoid cliches like that, so I assume it's building up to ANOTHER TV cliche - the outwardly successful, neurotic person, stashing what they're addicted to (booze, cigs, junk food) all over their home and office and sneaking them. Although I do wonder how the show is going to introduce and resolve a plot line about Alicia being an alcoholic in the 7 episodes they have left.

Oh it's real enough or used to be. Not so common in most corporate jobs but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some law firms have it. A buddy at the times says there used to be a beer cart that would roll around at 4 every day.

For a giggle, watch a British detective show on acorn if you have it, in an episode of "Vera" with Brenda blethyn in literally every scene with adults someone was drinking. Wine, whiskey, whatever. Vera even had a drink at a suspects house. And alcoholism was not a subtext. I think the englishbdrink a bit more socially and also the directorncouldntnfigure out what to tell them to do with their hands. It really stood out to this American viewer, as did the 14 year old girl admitting she only had sex with her (now dead) boyfriend "the once."

A 14 year old casually mentioning having had sex would just not happen on an American show. It would Be a major plot pointl you'd have to age her up at least 2 years. And frankly the notion of my 14 year old niece having sex would make me want to kill someone, she is a little girl who puts glitter on stuff etc. but I digress, the alcohol really cracks me up. (I'm all for it, b ut it's funny)

• Love 2

For a giggle, watch a British detective show on acorn if you have it, in an episode of "Vera" with Brenda blethyn in literally every scene with adults someone was drinking.

Same goes for the BBC's Scott & Bailey, with a heavy side of endless chain smoking to boot. Speaking of Vera though, which is currently on our PBS station, the 2nd season replacement for one of the detectives was none other than Cush Jumbo! I hadn't realized that TGW had found another British woman of color from a famous British detective series, but it kind of cracked me up. Her American accent is utterly flawless.

• Love 1

I was just reading the quotes thread and remembered this one:

Dudewicz: Neil Gross is a fascist and fascists must not be allowed to terrorize. Hello, laywer. Other lawyer.

Eli: I'm not a lawyer!

Which bugged, because Eli is a lawyer!

Edited by ktwo
  • Love 3

He was a partner at a law firm and might have a law degree and a license to practice (I don't remember) but he doesn't work as a lawyer. He works as a campaign manager and political chief of staff. He's correct to say he's not a lawyer because that isn't his job.

I don't even expect the show to be good anymore. But I do expect them to pronounce words correctly. It's not pronounced "Silicone" Valley, Jason. Silicon. Not Silicone.

there are dictionaries online where you can press the speaker button and hear how silicone is supposed to be pronounced. The ending sounds like "cone" or "own", not "con"

Yeah, Jason, get with it--quit smirking and start listening to the folks in Silicon Valley. Silicone Valley is the cleavage created when silicone is used to enhance the girls. Silicon Valley is where nerds go to help with creating awesome electronics using the totally different chemical element silicon. Unless Jason really did go to Silicone Valley :)

(full disclosure--I had no idea how to pronounce Silicon Valley until now :))

Edited by MakeMeLaugh

Re the wig:

JM's offical story is that her hair is so thick, and takes so long to blow dry, that it was more efficent for her to wear a wig, and easier for her, since her son was a toddler when she began the show. And, the hair thing is real in law firms. My 30 yo cousin has hair like JM's, and in her first year in law school she was told that if she wanted to work in a coporate firm, she would have to keep it under control.

As to why JM's current wig is so dull, I suspect while hair and makeup may indeed hate JM, the wig is supposed to reflect Alicia's emotional slide, like the drinking.

there are dictionaries online where you can press the speaker button and hear how silicone is supposed to be pronounced. The ending sounds like "cone" or "own", not "con"

I agree, silicone is supposed to sound like own. But the area in California is Silicon Valley, not Silicone Valley. Silicone and silicon are different words.

• Love 4

Once again, somebody in "that" law firm (I lost track of its name), has alcoholic beverage, opens its container, drinks it in office premises, during business hours, in the open where anybody can see.

In the organizations I have been working with, it is a fireable offence. Guess I have never worked in a place as prestigious and as reputable as "that' law firm.

I worked in management in the insurance industry. I kept a bottle of decent Scotch in my credenza (always got at least one at Christmas). At 5:00 on Friday, I would bust it out and a coworker and I would have a snort or two. The executive vice president knew all about it and sometimes joined us.

That was 20 years ago, maybe people are more uptight about it now.

To say that Alicia's wig looks like it came from the bargain bin at KMart would be an insult to KMart.

It took me 6 days before I watched this episode.  I don't think I will miss this show when it is gone.  

Why do Alicia and Diane keep ending up at the same law firm expecting different results?

Because the writers are crazy?  (one definition of "crazy" is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results).  

Is this ChumHum case over? The tech guy is free. But does he have the right to sell the tablet now? The previous 'clear effort to return to its owner' would presumably be nullified now that its owner has been demanding its return. And is the whole thing a marketing ploy? I'm assuming it is, because it was obvious that it was from the very first moment but nobody suggested the possibility until much much later. If it wasn't, they'd have considered it.

I don't understand how he could ever be held for stealing it.  They had no proof that he stole it, only that he had it - he said he found it, which would be a reasonable explanation.  I would think the would need some other proof like fingerprints.  Plus, the employee's text saying that he was going to be in a lot of trouble adds a lot of reasonable doubt that it was stolen

I am not buying the marketing ploy story either.  If it was a marketing ploy, why would the employee send a text implying that he lost it? 

I, too, am tired of the allegedly quirky judges. In this guy's defense, I hate ants and I would not want to sit at a desk that was crawling with ants. But I am also an adult so I would just send someone, ANYONE, like an intern, to take a cab to the closest Walgreens, 7/11, Target, whatever to buy some damn ant spray. I would not wait days for maintenance to get to it.

You don't even need ant spray.  There is no reason for ants to be crawling all over a desk in courtroom unless they smell food on it.  All they need to do is wipe it off with any sort of cleaner - Windex, soapy water, furniture spray, etc - and make sure there is no food hidden somewhere

That weird tangent about Lucca's name seemed to be a nod to the actress. I don't care why she's named Lucca; I want to know why she's named Cush Jumbo! That's way more interesting.

I want to know if Cush rhymes with push or with lush.

That's an old TV cliche. The rich businessman having a minibar in his office and offering a drink to a client or colleague, or downing one in the middle of a stressful day. Usually this show is careful to avoid cliches like that, so I assume it's building up to ANOTHER TV cliche - the outwardly successful, neurotic person, stashing what they're addicted to (booze, cigs, junk food) all over their home and office and sneaking them. Although I do wonder how the show is going to introduce and resolve a plot line about Alicia being an alcoholic in the 7 episodes they have left.

They seemed to be headed down the Alicia is an alcoholic path then Lucca asked Alicia to be her friend and Alicia was all better.

I read these comments and I wonder why most of you bother to watch the show anymore. 

And yes the show is not as good as it was in the beginning but it's still watchable at least to me. Even with all it's flaws I'll still miss it on Sunday nights.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 1

Even with all it's flaws I'll still miss it on Sunday nights.

I have a lot of complaints about the show, mainly around the marginalization of my favorite characters and the chasm between Alicia and all the other characters, but I absolutely agree with this.  TGW has gone from "great" to simply "good" in my book, but it's still one of the few shows I genuinely look forward to seeing each week.

I have a lot of complaints about the show, mainly around the marginalization of my favorite characters and the chasm between Alicia and all the other characters, but I absolutely agree with this.  TGW has gone from "great" to simply "good" in my book, but it's still one of the few shows I genuinely look forward to seeing each week.

For the train wreck the show made her life to live, it's amazing that they allow her to keep her sanity. The writers just had/have too many characters and as such there was little or no character development especially for the main cast.

I read these comments and I wonder why most of you bother to watch the show anymore.

And yes the show is not as good as it was in the beginning but it's still watchable at least to me. Even with all it's flaws I'll still miss it on Sunday nights.

Most of the actors are pretty good despite some of their lines and some of them are really really good and get some good lines besides, and some of the actors play interesting unusual characters that tickle us no end. The sets and atmosphere are realistic and the wardrobe is believable and beyond (looking right at Baranski and Jumbo). It is still our Sunday night show but frankly I won't miss it when it's over as the plots are so thin anymore, which seems to be the major quibble point here and elsewhere.

• Love 1

I was going to quit. I had decided that watching the episode that aired right before the Super Bowl. I was done. And then they announced that these were the last nine episodes. Well, I'm a completest and since the commitment is so low now to finally see how this all ends, I decided to stick around. If they'd announced another season, I wouldn't have come back. But at this point, I just want to see what's going on with Peter, hope Eli lands on his feet and if Cary and Diane could at least go back to being characters with dignity I'll be okay.

• Love 3

Well, I'm a completest and since the commitment is so low now to finally see how this all ends, I decided to stick around

It was the goddamned football overruns that made it so maddening trying to keep up with this show.  Thank the sports vampire gods the end of the series is coming after football season.

• Love 1

They shoot until around April usually, so they're definitely not done yet. They were still shooting episode 17(of 22) a couple of weeks ago.

We were at our diner yesterday (which is often used by TV shows & films because it really looks like a diner) and were told that Good Wife had been in the week before.

I want to know why she's named Cush Jumbo! That's way more interesting.

I thought it was unusual too!  Someone messaged on IMDB the following:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2685264/board/nest/223540613

her name intrigued me. Jumbo is her real surname, her dad is Nigerian, her mom is English. Cush is an ancient African kingdom. Guess her parents got creative with her first name.

I know 2 Nigerian women, one named Blessing and the other named Sweet.  The previous Nigerian president is named Goodluck.  So it seems that parents like to give their children names with positive personality attributes!

And... the show lost me. It's been a long while coming (I actually like the character of Alicia and don't usually comment here because of the ranting). But this episode was boring. I feel like the showrunners are now just throwing things out there in the hope they'll stick and then pressing a reset button when they don't.

And bring back Matthew Goode. I hate Jason with a passion. I think he's one-note and I don't think he's Alicia's type so I don't buy the affair. At all.

• Love 3
(edited)

Was the comment on Luca's name meant to clumsily address her race(s)?

I thought it was common knowledge that Luca is an Italian name (now I'm reading it's also from other European countries -- okay ; didn't know that) so was that guy clumsily hitting on her by saying "How did you get that name" supposed to be a comment on her race?  Like, "You are not European looking to me, why is your name European?"

Or was it simply, That's a weird name, how did you get it?

It's a really weird/stupid question in a courtroom either way.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay